PDA

View Full Version : My boy is coming home

Jargo
03-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Right, this is for anyone who's known me a fair while.

As you all know my dog Buster died in 2007. And he was a dog got via the guide dogs for the blind training programme. the third one me and my partner 'puppy walked' or did basic training with.

My first dog, Ramsey, passed his training in 1999 and went on to work for a blind guy called Roy. And apparently did a really good job. However, Ramsey was retired two years ago due to arthritis. And since then has unfortunately gained a ton of weight due to lack of exercise and overfeeding. Which at 12 years old is not good. He's 117 pounds and should be about 73 pounds. That's one porky dog. no wonder he has arthritis carrying round all that extra.

Roy is due to get a new dog so Ramsey was up for rehoming and the Guide dog centre people asked us if we'd like to take him back. Of course we said yes immediately. How could we say no.

Now, he's a Labrador Retriever cross breed, not known for longevity of life. We don't know how long we'll have with him. could be weeks could be another five years. The important bit is that he's coming home to spend his twilight days in comfort getting the care he deserves. and the right diet.

We pick him up tomorrow morning. I'm a bit scared he won't recognise us. I guess it'll be a bit of a mad day for all of us. :yes:

bobafrett
03-04-2009, 07:06 AM
That's awesome Jargo. I could tell how much you love your dogs. We live in a house that the landlord won't let us have dogs, or pets in general. I'm glad you'll be reunited!

DarthQuack
03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
That's great news, I hope he remembers you and if not, I'm sure you'll give him the care he deserves!

sebillba
03-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Awwww, really nice story Jargo. Best of luck with the reunion today, hope your doggie is as excited to see you as you are to see him. Looking forward to hearing how it went.

Kidhuman
03-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Best of luck Andy.

Jargo
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Right, we picked him up this morning. he's really overweight. waddles when he walks and can't get up or down steps as his legs are too weak for his own weight even though he's got muscley stocky legs.

The look in his eyes is still the same, the face is pretty much the same but his body is like a barrel and he hasn't been groomed for what looks like months. he's a black haired dog and the dead hairs show as red hair and at the moment he seems like a mottled dog. big clumps of hair just come away in your fingers. :(

he's very quiet and subdued. a bit freaked out I suppose but he recognises us and the house. I think i won him over with a few low calorie dog treats to be honest (gave him a small carrot). though he was eyeing up the toast I had for late breakfast.

I guess it's been a traumatic day for him. leaving his blind guy, spending a couple of hours at the busy guide dog centre with all the young pups there, then driving miles back to our place. Luckily we've had a few tail wags and face licks so I think things are gonna be ok.

Blue2th
03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Poor Ramsey.:cry:
What a good dog. Glad he's going back with you. He's done his duty.

Nothing against the blind guy except to say some people give too much love to the poor animals by feeding them too much.

TeeEye7
03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Knowing you will give him the "royal" treatment, I'm sure he will be fit as a fiddle in no time!

My sister-in-law has a whippet (appropriately named Devo) who is very arthritic. He has good days and bad, but for the most part he locomotes extremely well for a fellow who is 14 years old! Once Ramsey drops a few pounds, I'm sure he'll improve and surprise us all by how well he does!

Jargo
03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I'd forgotten how smart he is. he's just refused to come lie down in the front room and then gave me the whole soppy eyes and head tilt thing, lay on the cold hard dining room floor and pretended to go to sleep. So i go and get his bed and bring it to the dining room and set it up and he jumps straight in and goes to sleep. but not before giving me a haughty glance down his nose and a dismissive snort. lol

he's chosen his quarters. end of the matter.

and yeah, we had him waddling around at an almost jog chasing a tennis ball earlier. but i forgot that he's had no toys all these years as a blind person can't risk having a dog drop it's playthings on the floor where they might cause accidents. So poor Ramsey is having to learn how to play all over again.

Kidhuman
03-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Glad he seems to be adjusting well Andy. Keep up the good work with him and he will be fit in no time. Also, an asprin might help out his arthirtis. I used to give them to one of my dogs.