View Full Version : Star Trek Ships

Pages : 1 [2]

Blue2th
07-22-2009, 04:08 PM
BOP's coming at ya:

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Hot Wheels and Corgi BOP's:

I think there will be little dispute on this one. Corgi by more than a bird-beak.

Blue2th
07-22-2009, 04:32 PM
If it wasn't for those folding wings. That's what make's it enjoyable to have.
It wouldn't be a bad candidate to do some custom paint work on, with the Corgi for reference.

Darth Duranium
07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I think there will be little dispute on this one. Corgi by more than a bird-beak.

My knickers agree, Spec... and thanks muchly for the pics, Blue.... the Corgi BoP’s paint and sculpt are really nice. I love that the paint's so distinctive (and crisp) from all the other BoPs out there, even if it's not a particularly accurate paint colour scheme, to my eye anyway. Corgi's kinda weird that way.

I'm extremely pleased that they're both only a little bit bigger than the Furuta... about Hallmark sized, I guess. I might just have to pick up that Corgi.:D The HW could definitely use a custom paintjob!

I found my BoP maquette… it turns out that it’s made by Enesco… I’ve had it for years. It's one of the better ones out there but I like the Corgi more. There’s some shots of the 1994 Hallmark (minus its disruptors, thanks to our cat who found them tasty) in there, too. Catspaw Mark II: Attack On Christmas.

BTW, there's a "Best 75 Spaceships" article here... interesting…

http://www.battlestarquorum.com/?page_id=430

Obviously, it's one person's opinion... my list would be quite different.

Blue, you're not gonna like #1! Sorry to bring up a painful subject.:cry:

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-24-2009, 03:25 PM

http://www.battlestarquorum.com/?page_id=430

Obviously, it's one person's opinion... my list would be quite different.

Very interesting list. Can't take it seriously though, with such entries as Futurama's Planet Express and the Doctor Who phone booth. :rolleyes:

And how could that clunky Space: 1999 beastie be rated #2! Looks like my doxie-only my doxie has sleek flowing lines! Or it looks like what a 1st grader would throw together with Legos when asked to make an iguana! [sigh...]

BTW, I just snagged a Corgi BoP on Ebay for $6 (plus $8 s/h). :thumbsup:

sergiurusu
07-25-2009, 12:07 AM
My Diamond Select Enterprise D arrived. It is really cool and I display it with the Strike Force Klingon Bird of Prey. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-25-2009, 08:39 AM

Wait a minute, Blue, are you saying this is a Corgi BoP (on the right)? It looks different and the stand is different than the one I see in online pics (left).

Blue2th
07-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Wait a minute, Blue, are you saying this is a Corgi BoP (on the right)? It looks different and the stand is different than the one I see in online pics (left).

That's the correct one, I switched stands. ;)

You got a sweet deal! I can't believe the HW BOP is in higher demand when this nice Corgi is out there.

Darth Duranium
07-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Very interesting list. Can't take it seriously though, with such entries as Futurama's Planet Express and the Doctor Who phone booth. :rolleyes:
And how could that clunky Space: 1999 beastie be rated #2! Looks like my doxie-only my doxie has sleek flowing lines! Or it looks like what a 1st grader would throw together with Legos when asked to make an iguana! [sigh...]
BTW, I just snagged a Corgi BoP on Ebay for $6 (plus $8 s/h). :thumbsup:

Nice buy on the Corgi!
Hey watch it, Spec! I have small versions of the Planet Express, a diecast Tardis, and 2 Konami Eagles... but I sure wouldn't put them at the top of my list. I like the Eagle as another take on the 2001:ASO school of spaceship design... unglamourous and chunkily built for space in the near future, even though 1999 and 2001 are now in the past. ;)

BTW, they had to change the Millennium Falcon's original design 'cuz it looked too much like an Eagle from Space 1999...

I'd like a Guild ship from the original Dune... the production design's quite good.

I reserve top spot on my ship list for everyone's favourite... from Pigs In Space... The Swinetrek. :D No, not really, but I've actually got a small version of that one, too.

I found some pics by JT and Steve at ActionFigs.com of the new HW stuff and next year's Hallmark Ent... the (mulched peacock) Narada's an unapproved proto.

Blue2th
07-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Not too bad. I was thinking how the heck they were going to do that Narada. Still I think It'll end up being a shelfwarmer dispite the effort. I might buy one. Buying the 09' Enterprise for sure though.

There's a lot of ships on that list that brought up fond memories. Wish we could of had toys for most of them.

Hey anybody remember that cute little stubby ship the USS Bonaventure? http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Bonaventure.html

I don't know if I'd have chosen the Aliens Dropship for #1 but it is a good one. I still want that 1:72 diecast one by Aoshima.

btw: I got another Konami Dropship, but I'm afraid to take it out of the package now. Think I'll try to glue what I can back together of my broken one. I checked and the nose antenaes are broken on mine too. Don't expect to find them now. :ermm:

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-26-2009, 11:40 PM
For those among us truly motivated to build more true-to-life model, you mind find this site/store helpful: http://www.dlmparts.com/home.html

Personally, I'm hard pressed as it is to just find the time someday to snap together my 3 Bandais. :(

Darth Duranium
07-27-2009, 12:47 AM
I figured it out... that mystery Defiant is the Innerspace version!

Not too bad. I was thinking how the heck they were going to do that Narada. Still I think It'll end up being a shelfwarmer dispite the effort. I might buy one. Buying the 09' Enterprise for sure though.

In profile, the HW KC Enterprise looks much better than I expected, but it's still pretty "meh" from the front... the deflector especially. Not sure what to make of that hedgehog... er, Narada... but you know me, I'd buy it, too. WTF's up with the Kelvin? Strange there's no sign of it now. I'd like to see a HW Farragut from the new flick.:thumbsup:... just to have one.

The Hallmark Ent looks excellent to me... but I still wanna see a better pic.

There's a lot of ships on that list that brought up fond memories. Wish we could of had toys for most of them.

Exactamundo, Blue! I couldn't agree more. Maybe one of each...

Hey anybody remember that cute little stubby ship the USS Bonaventure? http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Bonaventure.html

No... but it's purdy cute alright. Must have been manned by Oompa Loompas.:D

I don't know if I'd have chosen the Aliens Dropship for #1 but it is a good one. I still want that 1:72 diecast one by Aoshima.

Me, too. I saw it for $150 in the stores so I passed... but it is suh-weet.

btw: I got another Konami Dropship, but I'm afraid to take it out of the package now. Think I'll try to glue what I can back together of my broken one. I checked and the nose antenaes are broken on mine too. Don't expect to find them now. :ermm:

Well, at least you've got backup parts now! It is way too fragile but it is a really nice job by Konami. I like it without gear, with the arms and missile bays deployed... next to the BSG Raptors.:D

For those among us truly motivated to build more true-to-life model, you mind find this site/store helpful: http://www.dlmparts.com/home.html

Clearly, my modelling skills are lightyears away from that guy's stuff! Neat, though.

Personally, I'm hard pressed as it is to just find the time someday to snap together my 3 Bandais. :(

I was amazed at how long it took me to snap the Refit together... there's a lot of little parts.

The Bandai are the perfect gift for someone who's been sent to a penitentiary.:D

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-27-2009, 09:56 AM
...the [U.S.S. Bonaventure] is purdy cute alright. Must have been manned by Oompa Loompas.:D

I like the "Delta Triangle" angle where ships have mysteriously disappeared a la the U.S.S. Bonaventure! The Bermuda Triangle of space... where no one can hear you...

d i s a p p e a r . . .

:D

Clearly, my modelling skills are lightyears away from that guy's stuff! Neat, though.

I was amazed at how long it took me to snap the Refit together... there's a lot of little parts.

The Bandai are the perfect gift for someone who's been sent to a penitentiary.:D

Yeah, I'll have to find a couple of full days of no distractions to invest to the task. Check out the work this guy did on his Bandai Refit, particularly the arboretum windows: http://www.culttvman2.com/dnn/Features/Articles/tabid/74/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/27/Dave-Hacketts-Bandai-Enterprise.aspx (http://www.culttvman2.com/dnn/Features/Articles/tabid/74/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/27/Dave-Hacketts-Bandai-Enterprise.aspx)

Blue2th
07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Bought me a Hot Wheels Reliant today.
Oh no , I might have to get the Refit, just so it has a companion. :rolleyes:

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Bought me a Hot Wheels Reliant today.
Oh no , I might have to get the Refit, just so it has a companion. :rolleyes:

I have the JL Reliant and I think that's good enough for me. Is the HW one "diecast," with at least a little bit of it metal? Makes me nuts when manufacturers advertise "diecast" when maybe as little as 10% is metal. :mad:

Darth Duranium
07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
That arboretum is just amazing, Spec... very nice work. I have no idea how he crammed the electronics into the Bandai... it is so tightly packed inside.

BTW Spec, weren't you recently saying that you were only gonna buy Enterprises and skip the alien ships and other Starfleet wessels? :D Hehehe... years ago, that was my original intention... and you've seen how that worked out. :cross-eye Collecting ships is a diabolically and insidiously addictive slippery slope. :thumbsup: Be vewwy careful or soon you'll be eyeballing those clunky Space 1999 ships for your collection! lol

Sounds like you're 1 short of owning all 3 HW ships, Blue :thumbsup:... let me know if your refit has the wonkily-mounted saucer... I was quite underwhelmed by that one.

I found a better pic of the new Hallmark Ent... looks great, IMO. I think there's LEDs on the saucer dome, bridge, deflector, and nacelles.:thumbsup:

Blue2th
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I have the JL Reliant and I think that's good enough for me. Is the HW one "diecast," with at least a little bit of it metal? Makes me nuts when manufacturers advertise "diecast" when maybe as little as 10% is metal. :mad:

A good hunk of it is. I opened mine right away.
The top and sides of the saucer section is metal. The roll bar, nacelles and the underside section of the saucer is plastic. At least they didn't make a unsightly seam visible where the metal meets the plastic on the saucer section, because it's underneath.

Yeah, I figured this is the only time we'll ever see a Reliant in this middle size. Of course it's in scale with the full size E according to JT's pics and the size chart. That's the reason I wouldn't mind getting another one to make into a USS Bozeman (the collision scene) but if I do I'll probably make the first attempt on that broken Konami Reliant I got a replacement coming for.

You know if you were good at doing a little micro-painting this one isn't half bad. The sculpt is good. I'm very happy with it. A recommended "buy." :yes:

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
That arboretum is just amazing, Spec... very nice work. I have no idea how he crammed the electronics into the Bandai... it is so tightly packed inside.

Yeah, I know, I was trying to follow what he was doing but my limited knowledge of electronics and such verbiage failed me. Did you notice the spot lights he put in directed onto the sides of the lower hull? Dang, where did he cram all those wires?!

BTW Spec, weren't you recently saying that you were only gonna buy Enterprises and skip the alien ships and other Starfleet wessels? :D Hehehe... years ago, that was my original intention... and you've seen how that worked out. :cross-eye Collecting ships is a diabolically and insidiously addictive slippery slope. :thumbsup: Be vewwy careful or soon you'll be eyeballing those clunky Space 1999 ships for your collection! lol

Oh, no, no, no! I had said that I was going to be collecting only Enterprise based ships, both alien and human—meaning those from TOS, Enterprise, TNG and the movies with the Enterprise as the star [-ship]. So far I'm still holding it together. No exclusively DS9 and Voyager hardware. I never got into those two. I tried watching DS9 once and I just started yawning.... But afer seeing that best 75 starships list, the thought of getting in on ships from other scifi shows/movies that I like (i.e., Alien(s), B. Galactica) has indeed crossed my mind (steady, steady now...).

Man, that last Ebay Bandai Voyager sold for a mere $320 + s/h!!! I think I'm gonna swoon...

Yeah, I figured this is the only time we'll ever see a Reliant in this middle size. Of course it's in scale with the full size E according to JT's pics and the size chart.

Yeah, that whole scale thing is a can of worms in itself, isn't it?

BTW, check out the V.S.S. Enterprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBo8t0B5NhM

Darth Duranium
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Spec, I saw a Bandai Voyager at a local store a few weeks back... for about $100 USD if I remember right... if you're interested I could look again next time I'm in the neighbourhood...

I never worry too much about exact scale... they rarely did on the shows. Mind you, I wouldn't put a Bandai refit next to a MM Ent E...:D

Hehehe them BSG and Aliens ships are very nice... not so cheap anymore, though.:cry:

Blue, looks like you'll have a good opportunity to take one of those Virgin Galactic flights... the spaceport will be pretty close to Albuturkey! I've got a sister in Santa Fe so maybe I'll pop down to see Richard Branson with $200,000 of chump change... damn, that'd be soooooooooooo awesome!

BTW, I posted a few pics of my unfinished BK shuttle here:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=688570&postcount=14

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Spec, I saw a Bandai Voyager at a local store a few weeks back... for about $100 USD if I remember right... if you're interested I could look again next time I'm in the neighbourhood...

Well, thanks, DT, I'd hate to put you through any trouble. But if you wouldn't want it yourself, heck yeah, I think I'm game at 100 USD or so if it's still available, which I would be surprised if it were. I'm not a fan of Voyager but a Bandai is hard to resist and this would complete my Bandai ST ship collection (albeit unassembled as of yet). But it'd have to be new (and complete of course) and parts still sealed in their plastic. Does the store have a website and or a phone number?

Darth Duranium
07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I'll check the next time I'm in there... it's a tiny hole in the wall in a crappy strip mall and I'm really not sure what it's called... maybe The Hobby Turd or something like that.;) It was sittin' on the shelf... new with the original plastic wrap and stickers for about $120 CAD, I think.

I don't want one... the ships that I have in that scale (except for the huge Borg ships) were all prezzies... even my Bandai. Life ain't so bad... :) Still, I just collect small ships now.

If they do still have one, I'll grab it (or have them hold it for you and get their info)...

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I'll check the next time I'm in there... it's a tiny hole in the wall in a crappy strip mall and I'm really not sure what it's called... maybe The Hobby Turd or something like that.;) It was sittin' on the shelf... new with the original plastic wrap and stickers for about $120 CAD, I think.

I don't want one... the ships that I have in that scale (except for the huge Borg ships) were all prezzies... even my Bandai. Life ain't so bad... :) Still, I just collect small ships now.

If they do still have one, I'll grab it (or have them hold it for you and get their info)...

Make it so! Many thanks! :thumbsup:

Blue2th
07-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Blue, looks like you'll have a good opportunity to take one of those Virgin Galactic flights... the spaceport will be pretty close to Albuturkey! I've got a sister in Santa Fe so maybe I'll pop down to see Richard Branson with $200,000 of chump change... damn, that'd be soooooooooooo awesome!

BTW, I posted a few pics of my unfinished BK shuttle here:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=688570&postcount=14

When my space ship comes in. :) Actually wouldn't mind seeing one take off and land if I got the chance. On a rare occasion they've landed the Shuttle at White Sands, but that hasn't been for quite a while, and they don't give much notice, because it's a last minute decision due to weather.

That BK shuttle is sweet! :thumbsup: I'm going to have to get one of those. It doesn't look at all like the toy you'd think it was. I was thinking there'd be some parts on those BK's that might be good for some kitbashes. The plastic is soft and easy to carve I assume?

Darth Duranium
07-31-2009, 01:30 PM
When my space ship comes in. :) Actually wouldn't mind seeing one take off and land if I got the chance. On a rare occasion they've landed the Shuttle at White Sands, but that hasn't been for quite a while, and they don't give much notice, because it's a last minute decision due to weather.

I'm not pernickity... an economy-class window or aisle seat on Virgin Galactic will do.

I've seen a lot of New Mexico... quite an amazing state. I didn't see a shuttle but we did get through Roswell without being anally probed.:D

I saw a shuttle launch in Florida once... impressive don't half cover it... that sound!.... it tears the sky apart! Canada had 2 female astronauts on the ISS last week... that's a first for us.:thumbsup:

That BK shuttle is sweet! :thumbsup: I'm going to have to get one of those. It doesn't look at all like the toy you'd think it was. I was thinking there'd be some parts on those BK's that might be good for some kitbashes. The plastic is soft and easy to carve I assume?

I used a Dremel to sand down the wings and struts... the plastic's a little softer and heavier than a regular model so it's very workable... a lot like the Konami plastic (but not bent :pleased:) The detail's really not bad, especially after a light coat of primer takes away the gloss.

I'm probably gonna go for the 2-tone (white top, grey bottom) paint, and then use a dark alcohol wash (thx again, Blue... works great! Cost was $2 for alcohol and india ink!) to add some texture and detail... and I'll use the window stickers that came with the BK. It still talks ("Over drop zone") but it's nicely muffled!

I probably have enough model parts to attempt a Kelvin, but the only serviceable part from the BK Kelvin is the nacelle... the rest is horribly super-deformed. I'm waiting to see if HW releases theirs before I even attempt it...

The BK Ent's pretty bad, too. Nothing usable there.

JediTricks
08-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I talked to Diamond during SDCC about the windows on the Ent-D missing, was told that it was a production mistake and they're looking into a way to correct it, perhaps sending out label sheets to buyers.

I picked up the Hot Wheels SDCC exclusive Ent-Refit. The decals are not great, from a distance they look ok but up close they are too obviously waterslide-decals. And the neck is still screwy on this version, so I'm calling this mold flawed rather than chalking it up to anything else. Conceptually though, the idea of refitting the Enterprise holds great appeal for me no matter what. That said, the shining achievement in this set is the Spacedock display shell, which is beautifully rendered with sculpting and slight painting, and it unfolds pretty nifty too, but just looking at it with the Enterprise inside is a stunner.

Oh with the kitbashes and whatnot, anyone else think that the Voyager study model should've been used as a new class? She doesn't look as good as Voyager, but very nice regardless.

This one:
http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/images/dv-8.jpgReminds me a lot of the Prometheus, except with runabout engines.

I'm thinking of when the Bozeman ran into the Enterprise D in Cause and effect it was a Soyuz class which was a modified Miranda class, but it was much bigger, and closer to the size of the Enterprise. You didn't get to see the size comparison till it hit the D's nacelle.

I think that was a case of fudging the scales again, because it couldn't have been anywhere near the size of the Enterprise D.
The Soyuz seems about right, actually. It's kinda hard to tell because of the weird camera angle they went with.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/GalSoyCompare.jpg
Excellent reply, really got it.

It's funny, I think the Ent-D's engine may have the same mass as the Constitution-class, that's a crazy thought.

Thanks for posting those, those are some great displays going on! I really need to grab the Ent-D. >_<Sure thing, no idea why imageshack deleted one though.

Thanks. Unfortunately, it seems to be cursed to vary everytime a new person takes a shot at it. In regard to the actual model, maybe the people in charge of the model didn't intend them to be torpedo launchers despite using the housings, and that's why they went with the horribly underscaled versions?Yes, that's exactly what I think is going on, the cobbled parts together with no intention of making it the photorp, but because it's a familiar shape and has a dot, it's easy for fans and even writers after-the-fact to ascribe that to it.

Yeah, the Cheyanne is great looking. I'm really fond of the unique nacelles they made for it, and I think the Galaxy neck was also used for the underside. I never considered the saucer separation possibility before, but it would look pretty cool I think.The Ent-D and Prometheus have really spoiled us Trek fans, because awesome separation gizmos just keep getting cooler and cooler, despite being less and less reasonable each time.

Gotta disagree on that point... I think Starfleet ships ARE generally white on screen (admittedly off-whites ranging into greys, yellows, blue tones etc.) but overwhelmingly closer to white than blue or any other colour, IMHO.Onscreen??? No, I can't agree to this, look at TMP and the ship only looks light gray in spacedock, never lighter than that. Compare anything you see there to the Hot Wheels Reliant and Ent Refit and you'll see why white looks wrong.

The Ent-D blue is a unique situation.

You'd probably want to tone down the shooting model's paint to as close to 18% grey (as possible) for even lighting and exposure... but ships like the Refit look mostly-white when lit and filtered onscreen... to me at least.Honestly, I think you're picturing it in your mind's eye rather than looking. There's a massive tonal difference between the Hot Wheels white and the color onscreen (except in ST5 where the new FX house repainted the Enterprise white, there it makes a big difference).

Hell, the TOS Ent looked pretty damn white on the (unremastered) show... I doubt many people would say grey.
Yes, I agree, DT. All the Ents (w/ the exception of the NX-01) always looked to me as if they were pretty much WHITE. That's why I was so shocked to see evidence of the "official" color of TOS Ent to be similar to a battleship grey. She's supposed to be painted gray with a radiation-reflecting paint. The raw tonnage of that paint is intentionally shed when she's refitted.

My brain subconsciously (had to spellcheck that dang word) compensates for that which my eye records; a white ship in space with little illumination other than its own and that of distant stars will certainly look predominantly greyish where its own light source is not flooding it directly. And by the same token, were it grey, it would look very dark grey. My brain then translates this to be: this thing must be as white as my freshly laundered... well, whities (that'd be, knickers to DT).That's a very subjective way of looking at it, of course, but it gets blown right out of the water when compared to something like the Hot Wheels versions that are bald white.

BOP's coming at ya:Nice!

I'm extremely pleased that they're both only a little bit bigger than the Furuta... about Hallmark sized, I guess. I might just have to pick up that Corgi.:D The HW could definitely use a custom paintjob!Furuta KBOP is bigger than I expected, it must look weird next to their Ent-E.

http://www.battlestarquorum.com/?page_id=430Not a bad article, but incredibly subjective. They also don't know about some Action Fleet items, like the Narcissus.[/URL]

BTW, I just snagged a Corgi BoP on Ebay for $6 (plus $8 s/h). :thumbsup:NIIICE get!

My Diamond Select Enterprise D arrived. It is really cool and I display it with the Strike Force Klingon Bird of Prey. Sorry for the crappy pics.Congrats on the get! That Strike Force ship doesn't look too bad there, surprised as I have nothing but disdain for that line.

I found some pics by JT and Steve at ActionFigs.com of the new HW stuff and next year's Hallmark Ent... the (mulched peacock) Narada's an unapproved proto.I made sure Steve shot the Narada proto from a couple angles to give you guys the idea of what they have going on for the concept. Having a central core is probably the only way they could do this thing.

In profile, the HW KC Enterprise looks much better than I expected, but it's still pretty "meh" from the front... the deflector especially. Not sure what to make of that hedgehog... er, Narada... but you know me, I'd buy it, too. WTF's up with the Kelvin? Strange there's no sign of it now. I'd like to see a HW Farragut from the new flick.:thumbsup:... just to have one.I was stunned at how little they had for Star Trek in the Mattel booth, I get the feeling this line is nearly dead to Mattel.

Hey anybody remember that cute little stubby ship the USS Bonaventure? [URL]http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Bonaventure.html (http://www.battlestarquorum.com/?page_id=430)
Yeah, it's in a few of the '80s Tech Manuals, very funny-looking little item. I'm so glad they never did anything like that in the live-action.

sergiurusu
08-07-2009, 12:58 AM
AGT Enterprise arrived as well, quite nice.

Spectre o'the Phaser
08-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Well, I can't pretend to understand it, but saddling the Ent D with a third nacelle just ruins the whole design for me. It's like sticking on a third eye on Mr. Potato-head's forehead! Or imagine the Austrian Oak (that's Arnold Schwarzenegger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger) for you pencil-necks out there) doing a double biceps pose with a third arm reaching out from behind his back and flexing straight over his head. Just ain't right. :upset:

Blue2th
08-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Nothing wrong with a little mutation. ;)
I might get that. It's like the hot rod version of the D.

All the pics I've seen so far of it showed it as white. I'm glad now that it's the same robin-egg blue. Not so keen on the white now.

First I gotta get the D though.

Thanks for the pics Serg. :thumbsup:

sergiurusu
08-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Nothing wrong with a little mutation. ;)
I might get that. It's like the hot rod version of the D.

My thoughts exactly.

Darth Windu
08-08-2009, 05:30 AM
I actually quite like the ADT Ent-D. The design isn't as good as the vanilla Galaxy, but still quite nice, and a look into the future for Starfleet.

Tycho
08-08-2009, 04:42 PM
It's like sticking on a third eye on Mr. Potato-head's forehead!

You'd discrimate against Tri-Clops? What racist nonsense is this? I'm going to tell the Brotherhood of Mutants on you. Magneto and Sabertoothe will deal with this problem! :upset:

Or imagine the Austrian Oak (that's Arnold Schwarzenegger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger) for you pencil-necks out there) doing a double biceps pose with a third arm reaching out from behind his back and flexing straight over his head.

That scene was in the first Terminator movie only his 3rd arm was a 3rd leg and it wasn't behind his back. :D

(This post is all in jest. Hello Spectre o'the Phaser. I don't believe we've ever talked. I'm insane, but you can call my Tycho.)

Darth Windu
08-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Actually there is a scene in Terminator 2 like that, though it is three hands. It's not Arnie's character though, it's the T-1000.

The scene itself is when he's flying the helicopter, chasing Arnie & co in the van. The T-1000 ends up inserting a new magazine into his MP-5 with one hand, cocks the weapon with his other hand, and controls the helicopter with...well...his third hand. :D

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Well, I can't pretend to understand it, but saddling the Ent D with a third nacelle just ruins the whole design for me. It's like sticking on a third eye on Mr. Potato-head's forehead! As a potato, it's very likely he'd have plenty more eyes than even that. Yeesh, what kind of logic are you trying to sell here? ;)

Darth Duranium
08-10-2009, 02:35 AM
I picked up the Hot Wheels SDCC exclusive Ent-Refit. The decals are not great, from a distance they look ok but up close they are too obviously waterslide-decals. And the neck is still screwy on this version, so I'm calling this mold flawed rather than chalking it up to anything else. Conceptually though, the idea of refitting the Enterprise holds great appeal for me no matter what. That said, the shining achievement in this set is the Spacedock display shell, which is beautifully rendered with sculpting and slight painting, and it unfolds pretty nifty too, but just looking at it with the Enterprise inside is a stunner.

Like I said before, I thought the Spacedock was a great idea but with the wonky saucer tilt (doffing its hat?) and REALLY BAD sticker/detail issues I had to pass. Did mull a while on it, though. Probably would have bought one on impulse if I attended a convention and it was right there.:pleased: Maybe another ship with a passable sculpt would look even better in that dock...

Onscreen??? No, I can't agree to this, look at TMP and the ship only looks light gray in spacedock, never lighter than that. Compare anything you see there to the Hot Wheels Reliant and Ent Refit and you'll see why white looks wrong.

The Ent-D blue is a unique situation.

Honestly, I think you're picturing it in your mind's eye rather than looking. There's a massive tonal difference between the Hot Wheels white and the color onscreen (except in ST5 where the new FX house repainted the Enterprise white, there it makes a big difference).

She's supposed to be painted gray with a radiation-reflecting paint. The raw tonnage of that paint is intentionally shed when she's refitted.

We'll have to disagree on this... look, I'm not saying the ships are blinding arctic blizzard white, only that off-white's usually the predominant Starfleet colour onscreen.

Funny, I was just reading a non-canon Trek novel (The Return) at the cottage and there's a line in there that says "most Starfleet ships are painted Duranium white...".

Furuta KBOP is bigger than I expected, it must look weird next to their Ent-E.

I don't put mine anywhere near the E's... it would look wildly out of scale, obviously. Looks good next to their Defiant, though. I think it's a pretty decent KBoP... paint and sculpting's a lot better than most of the others. It's a nice size... almost as wide as the HM and Konami Klingon BCs.

Not a bad article, but incredibly subjective.

Agreed... I'm sure all of our personal lists would be weirdly and wonderfully subjective, too... at least his choices are well-defended.

Maybe we should do a Top 15 Sci-Fi Ships on here. 75 would be a teensy bit much...

That Strike Force ship doesn't look too bad there, surprised as I have nothing but disdain for that line.

At least Strike Force didn't suck as hard as Innerspace.

I made sure Steve shot the Narada proto from a couple angles to give you guys the idea of what they have going on for the concept. Having a central core is probably the only way they could do this thing.

Appreciate it... it actually looks pretty good... but it is a weird design. As Blue said, pegwarmer for sure. BTW, your pics have been reposted in a bunch of other forums.

I was stunned at how little they had for Star Trek in the Mattel booth, I get the feeling this line is nearly dead to Mattel.

The icy, boney finger of death looms near. To wit: the entire line was skipped by retailers up here... I've still never seen one up close. I think they'll end up like the Corgis... dirt cheap on eBay. I will suck up my negativity toward Mattel and will buy any ships they release from the new flick, though. I can't wait a whole year for Hallmark's.

NightCastle
08-10-2009, 07:22 AM
The Mattel line has been poorly executed. If they released the movie-relative ships around the time of the movie (what a novel idea) then I am sure that there would have been a mass run on them. instead, relasing the movie models so late is just goign to make even the new Ent a bit of a peg warmer whenever they do actually release it.

I pre-ordered my XI Ent in April and each month it is put back to being another month when it will be released. By the time they actually do release it, there may be a new Star Trek movie on the horizon. Maybe that is what the marketing team at Mattel is doing!!

LTBasker
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Can't say I'd be upset to see it go. I was hoping for the Defiant at some point, but I knew that was an impossibility. The line has served it's primary purpose for me with delivering the first pivoting wings K-BoP in about a decade, and that's all I really asked of it. Granted, it's not the greatest piece in existence, but it's not too shabby. Actually, I'd really like to grab a couple more...

Blue2th
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I would like to see the Enterprise XI before they go. Don't know why they didn't come out with it from the get go, it's never been explained why to my knowledge, as the picture is on the back of the box.

So far I've bought the BOP (I wouldn't have except for those pivoting wings as LT mentioned) and the Reliant.
I'll probably get the Refit before it's all over. Maybe the Saratoga if and when it comes out. I have to see the Narada before I decide.

I wish someone would put more heart into the smaller ST ships. The market is there I think, or is it just us few guys on SSG that are passionate about them? :Ponder:

Darth Duranium
08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
The Mattel line has been poorly executed. If they released the movie-relative ships around the time of the movie (what a novel idea) then I am sure that there would have been a mass run on them. instead, relasing the movie models so late is just goign to make even the new Ent a bit of a peg warmer whenever they do actually release it.

I pre-ordered my XI Ent in April and each month it is put back to being another month when it will be released. By the time they actually do release it, there may be a new Star Trek movie on the horizon. Maybe that is what the marketing team at Mattel is doing!!

We've been calling for a Holy Fatwa on the Mattel people for a while now...:D it's just ridiculous how they've handled the first waves and lost out on Paramount's advertising blitz, IMO.
I'm thinkin' we'll see new ships somewhere around the release of Trek XVIII.:yes:

Actually, I think we'll get the HW Ent XI (probably QC issues) but I doubt we'll see the rest, beyond the repaints of the first 3 tools. Wooop de doo... battle damage! Thrillingly daring of them!

Can't say I'd be upset to see it go. I was hoping for the Defiant at some point, but I knew that was an impossibility. The line has served it's primary purpose for me with delivering the first pivoting wings K-BoP in about a decade, and that's all I really asked of it. Granted, it's not the greatest piece in existence, but it's not too shabby. Actually, I'd really like to grab a couple more...

I agree... the pivoting wings are pretty much the only exceptional thing about the HW KBoP.
Considering that I usually buy all Trek ships in this scale, I was sorely disappointed... despite being forewarned about Mattel by my buds here at SSG. I still haven't bought any of 'em yet. 'Scuse me while I go off and have a proper sulk.

I wish someone would put more heart into the smaller ST ships. The market is there I think, or is it just us few guys on SSG that are passionate about them? :Ponder:

Once again, well said Blue. If you consider that our 2 Trek ship threads have over 20,000 hits (and that doesn't include all the ship stuff in the Trek Figs thread) over a short period, there must be shiploads of Trek Ship fans lurking out there in the shrubberies. Hell, this is a SW site!

Who had the most heart for small Trek ships? I'd probably have to go with Furuta or JL... both offered a decent variety over many waves. Honourable mention to Hallmark who've been going (at a snail's pace) since '91!

Blue2th
08-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Once again, well said Blue. If you consider that our 2 Trek ship threads have over 20,000 hits (and that doesn't include all the ship stuff in the Trek Figs thread) over a short period, there must be shiploads of Trek Ship fans lurking out there in the shrubberies. Hell, this is a SW site!

Who had the most heart for small Trek ships? I'd probably have to go with Furuta or JL... both offered a decent variety over many waves. Honourable mention to Hallmark who've been going (at a snail's pace) since '91!

20,000 hits Wow! I had no idea.
Where else can they go though. I've never found anyplace else to discuss. Shows you how well rounded SSG is.

C'mon don't be shy people, join us and your journey to the dark side will be complete! :whip:

JediTricks
08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
We'll have to disagree on this... look, I'm not saying the ships are blinding arctic blizzard white, only that off-white's usually the predominant Starfleet colour onscreen.There's a world of difference between the white we get with Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning, and the way DST has approached it though.

Funny, I was just reading a non-canon Trek novel (The Return) at the cottage and there's a line in there that says "most Starfleet ships are painted Duranium white...".That's where a Defiant-class ship has been painted black and renamed the Enterprise, right? I dug that book.

At least Strike Force didn't suck as hard as Innerspace."At least cat turds don't stink as much as dog turds."

The icy, boney finger of death looms near. To wit: the entire line was skipped by retailers up here... I've still never seen one up close. I think they'll end up like the Corgis... dirt cheap on eBay. I will suck up my negativity toward Mattel and will buy any ships they release from the new flick, though. I can't wait a whole year for Hallmark's.Mattel produces a lot more product than Corgi though, so if this line flames out, it's gonna dump a ton of these on liquidators.

The Mattel line has been poorly executed. If they released the movie-relative ships around the time of the movie (what a novel idea) then I am sure that there would have been a mass run on them. instead, relasing the movie models so late is just goign to make even the new Ent a bit of a peg warmer whenever they do actually release it.I dunno, it's not brilliant to miss the boat on the new movie toy, but having classic stuff will get attention. The line does move here, it just doesn't do fantastic. Heck, all those Reliants falling out of the packaging are gone even. That said, Mattel plans to reissue the tooling for each again, and that's a huge mistake, there's not going to be as big a demand for the new Ent and the people who stuck with the Reliant and Ent-D and A aren't going to want "battle damage" paint jobs over and over.

I pre-ordered my XI Ent in April and each month it is put back to being another month when it will be released. By the time they actually do release it, there may be a new Star Trek movie on the horizon. Maybe that is what the marketing team at Mattel is doing!!I suspect they are flipping out as they almost certainly expected this thing to have shipped already, and I'm betting it's a problem at the factory end.

I wish someone would put more heart into the smaller ST ships. The market is there I think, or is it just us few guys on SSG that are passionate about them? :Ponder:There's only a very small niche market. Hell, you google some of the Trek terms on these things and I kid you not, our threads here on SSG are top results! We're a STAR WARS SITE FOR CORN'S SAKE!!! Yet we're a driving force in these things? That doesn't speak well to the rest of the Trek collecting community!

Darth Windu
08-13-2009, 02:15 AM
In terms of distribution, here in Australia I've never seen the Hot Wheels Star Trek ships, from TRU to small speciality stores, no-one is stocking them or even seems to know about them :(

Blue2th
08-13-2009, 08:59 AM
That's a bummer DW. Seems the toy companies ignore other countries. DT has the same problem.
Don't they see a possible source of even more profits? Seems to me there is untapped potential.
Why isn't there a distributor for these things? Is it government tariffs?
All they have to do is look at ebay, where international bidders are paying way too much to get what they want from scalpers.
China is closer to you guys down under than it is to us. It just doesn't seem logical.
I don't know, what is and what should be are two different things. :ermm:

On another note, I went to see Star Trek again this time at the bargain theatre, and I must say I enjoyed it a lot more I guess because of the shock of the canon being so changed from what I was used to, didn't effect my judgement as much. I decided overall I liked it very much, and look forward to the next movie.

Anyways, I noticed a few other ships in there when they got to the space station, and when they were fixing to go to warp to meet the Narada.
There was a 4 nacelled starship on the Enterprise view screen. I wonder what it was? The Farragut? It looked cool. I can't wait till the DVD is out so I can slow these screen shots down and get a closer look. Can't seem to find any references to it on the web.

Darth Duranium
08-14-2009, 04:58 AM
There's a world of difference between the white we get with Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning, and the way DST has approached it though.

DST has totally upped the big ship game but I still think that some of the big ships look more like toys than many of the little ones do… the paint’s just not detailed enough for their size, IMO. There are a few JLs, Furutas, and F-Toys that give ‘em a run for their money, despite being so small.:)

That's where a Defiant-class ship has been painted black and renamed the Enterprise, right? I dug that book.

It is a good one… a much better end for Kirk than Generations, huh? Yeah they renamed the USS Monitor as the black-hulled Enterprise. I recently spray-painted my formerly “cloaked” clear F-Toys Defiant a dark grey in its honour.

"At least cat turds don't stink as much as dog turds."

Gotta say that cat turds actually smell worse than dog turds. Then again, we’ve got an exceptionally evil cat…:twisted:

Naw, too harsh… there were a few Strike Force that were pretty good… I like their Ferengi Marauder, Cardie Galor, and Maquis Raider… but their Ent D and head units sucked resoundingly, IMO.

There's only a very small niche market. Hell, you google some of the Trek terms on these things and I kid you not, our threads here on SSG are top results! We're a STAR WARS SITE FOR CORN'S SAKE!!! Yet we're a driving force in these things? That doesn't speak well to the rest of the Trek collecting community!

Just had to bring corn products into it… well, corny and cornball acting are a huge part of Trek… and a balanced breakfast, of course. :D I guess the ships slipped through the cracks and the SSG forums (and our enchanting repartée and explicit and raw photography) snagged a cool niche.

Agreed, there doesn’t seem to be the same kind of fervour for Trek products as there is for SW stuff but that may change with the solidly successful reboot… hell, a lot of Trek ships have gotten quite pricey on eBay lately.

Collecting ships (of any size, from any franchise) is a niche market for sure… figs are more popular by a factor of a thousand, I’d think. But that doesn’t mean there ain’t any room for us …out here on the Outer Rim.

In terms of distribution, here in Australia I've never seen the Hot Wheels Star Trek ships, from TRU to small speciality stores, no-one is stocking them or even seems to know about them :(

It would have been nice to turn them down in person, huh?:D
They're already dropping in price pretty fast on eBay... box of Wave 1 (4 ships of which 2 are refits) for $35.

That's a bummer DW. Seems the toy companies ignore other countries. DT has the same problem.
Don't they see a possible source of even more profits? Seems to me there is untapped potential.
All they have to do is look at ebay, where international bidders are paying way too much to get what they want from scalpers.
China is closer to you guys down under than it is to us. It just doesn't seem logical.
I don't know, what is and what should be are two different things. :ermm:

Mattel and Hasbro and the big retailers seem to arbitrarily decide which lines and waves they’re gonna carry… their distribution always seems sketchy in smaller markets. International collectors do get shafted on postage but I find that buying stuff on eBay is cheaper than the store prices I see many other people paying at retail in the US and what I can buy up here… but timing is everything. eBay is a godsend, IMO.

On another note, I went to see Star Trek again this time at the bargain theatre, and I must say I enjoyed it a lot more I guess because of the shock of the canon being so changed from what I was used to, didn't effect my judgement as much. I decided overall I liked it very much, and look forward to the next movie.

Yeah, it did freak everyone out with its rebootiness… it is a different take on the franchise all right. Loved it.:thumbsup: I’d like to see some new planets and new aliens in the next one… a good Trek film about exploration… one that doesn’t suck like I, V, and IX.:whip:

Anyways, I noticed a few other ships in there when they got to the space station, and when they were fixing to go to warp to meet the Narada.
There was a 4 nacelled starship on the Enterprise view screen. I wonder what it was? The Farragut? It looked cool. I can't wait till the DVD is out so I can slow these screen shots down and get a closer look. Can't seem to find any references to it on the web.

Awesome looking ships... interesting designs. Haven't seen much material on the new ships but maybe these'll help...

Blue2th
08-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Awesome looking ships... interesting designs. Haven't seen much material on the new ships but maybe these'll help...

That's it! Thanks DT! :thumbsup:
Well I guess it's 2 nacelles and 2 secondary hulls. There's one with 3 nacelles (that's an oddity)

Guess we're going to have to wait till the guys who actually rendered these release the design schematics on Drexfiles or something.

I thought there looked to be some slight discrepancies on the fan rendered Kelvin.

I hope the next flick has a great space battle in it with more ships. Kinda like the Wrath of Khan. (but please no WOK re-boot)
Now I wouldn't be against them re-imagining the Borg though, but they would need to make them even more terrifying, even more evil doing even more horrible things as they are not as scary now. Which could be done with todays film making technology.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't know, what is and what should be are two different things. :ermm:Licensing issues, only 1 company can hold the license to distribute Trek vehicles in the US, and the companies in Japan aren't licensed to make their product for the US market. But Mattel doesn't hold a worldwide license, which is why other countries aren't seeing these.

Agreed, there doesn’t seem to be the same kind of fervour for Trek products as there is for SW stuff but that may change with the solidly successful reboot… hell, a lot of Trek ships have gotten quite pricey on eBay lately.I highly highly doubt it. Nobody is talking about this film anymore already, it did what it set out to, made a summer blockbuster with the Trek brand, but it had nothing lasting about it in terms of making a big fan base, there was so little Trek at Comic-Con it was downright sad, especially after this supposed big money movie was a rebirthing. Trek is I suspect going to remain a niche brand, new or old, until something else comes along with more lasting impact on mainstream audiences.

Collecting ships (of any size, from any franchise) is a niche market for sure… figs are more popular by a factor of a thousand, I’d think. But that doesn’t mean there ain’t any room for us …out here on the Outer Rim.Ho ho, that's funny. Trek figures are tanking across the board while the ships are at least selling slowly.

Darth Duranium
08-15-2009, 09:05 PM
That's it! Thanks DT! :thumbsup:
Well I guess it's 2 nacelles and 2 secondary hulls. There's one with 3 nacelles (that's an oddity)

Guess we're going to have to wait till the guys who actually rendered these release the design schematics on Drexfiles or something.

I thought there looked to be some slight discrepancies on the fan rendered Kelvin.

I hope the next flick has a great space battle in it with more ships. Kinda like the Wrath of Khan. (but please no WOK re-boot)
Now I wouldn't be against them re-imagining the Borg though, but they would need to make them even more terrifying, even more evil doing even more horrible things as they are not as scary now. Which could be done with todays film making technology.

Glad to help, Blue… a few captures are better than nuthin’. The double-secondary-hulled ship kinda looks like a catamaran… and I like the rollbar and the flattened-backed saucer. The 3-nacelled ship’s just there to get Roddenberry to spin in his grave… he always insisted on even pairs. The Kelvin would have put him into a coma for that matter…
I thought the ILM ships looked huge and awesome… would have liked to see a lot more Fleet action.

Like to see the new film-makers stay away from Romulans, Klingons, Borg, Ferengi etc… I just think they’ve explored those races enough (ad nauseum) and we could use a new threat that we haven’t seen before. For example, there were Romulans in Trek II, V, VI, VII (dead), X, XI… there’s got to be other interesting and deadly civilisations out there. I suspect that Nero might not have originally been written as a Romulan and they did so in order to bring Nimoy into the story in a faintly plausible way.

Still haven’t found any good high-rez shots of new Trek ships, apart from the Ent… all I’ve found I’ve posted. You might have to delay your Kelvin until some decent ref shots turn up. The fan renders seem to be off… especially viewed from the front, but they’re ok in the profile shots.

Licensing issues, only 1 company can hold the license to distribute Trek vehicles in the US, and the companies in Japan aren't licensed to make their product for the US market. But Mattel doesn't hold a worldwide license, which is why other countries aren't seeing these.

The HW ships are stocked by Comet in the UK and Attictoyz in Japan… so they are available at retail outside of the US. Gashapon are widely sold at retail outside of Japan. F-Toys and Konami produced their ships at roughly the same time last year... while Polar Lights were still releasing the JLs in Japan.
Clearly, we have no clue as to what's going on with the licensing and distribution. It's bizarre.

I highly highly doubt it. Nobody is talking about this film anymore already, it did what it set out to, made a summer blockbuster with the Trek brand, but it had nothing lasting about it in terms of making a big fan base, there was so little Trek at Comic-Con it was downright sad, especially after this supposed big money movie was a rebirthing. Trek is I suspect going to remain a niche brand, new or old, until something else comes along with more lasting impact on mainstream audiences.

Ho ho, that's funny. Trek figures are tanking across the board while the ships are at least selling slowly.

Still heapin’ scorn on XI, eh JT? From Hell's heart, JT stabs at thee… Die Reboot DIE!!!

Well… 20,000 hits to the Trek ships threads on a SW forum seems to indicate some interest. There are a few here who loved the flick and are salivating at the chance to get some of the new ships. So as (South Park) Saddam said, Hey, relax guy!

Ho ho ho you missed my point... I wasn’t saying that Trek figs outsell Trek ships (pegs are jammed with the figs here, too) … I was just saying figs (in general) outsell ships by a huge margin.

LTBasker
08-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Actually, I really think JT is right about the lack of interest in the movie. The problem with making Star Trek into a blockbuster at the moment is that there is nothing else Trek-related going on, so people quickly forgot about Trek once it left theaters. The interest moved onto Harry Potter and Transformers.

Mattel has another shot to release the 1:50 XI Enterprise at a decent time with the DVD release, but given their track record, they'll miss it by miles.

Darth Duranium
08-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Hard to say whether it'll have a lasting impression... there really hasn't been a lasting buzz for any flick this year. But it's made almost $400 million... not too shabby. I was sad to see The Watchmen get passed over by the masses.

I will point out that the last couple of Trek films had very few product spin-offs... I think only 1 ship (the HM Scorpion) was released from Nemesis. Lame.

Besides the figs, I'm still seeing the lots of the Playmates Ent XI on the pegs, too. Shame they did such a crap job.

NightCastle
08-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I ordered mine in April and now this!!

:upset::upset::upset::upset::upset:

Darth Windu
08-21-2009, 12:04 AM
lol, yep, Mattel is right on the ball with their marketing...

Darth Duranium
08-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Just in time to not take advantage of the movie release, DVD release, or Christmas. Savvy stuff, huh?

Darth Windu
08-21-2009, 02:59 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if they're deliberately trying to kill the line, but doing so in a way to justify themselves to the shareholders - "we tried out best, but the product just didn't move!"

Of course it didn't help that they went the same way every ST ship manufacturer (except Furuta) by making the same ships we've seen in toy form a bazillion times already and then wondering why they don't sell.

On a side note it's not picking up 'bazillion' as a spelling error. Surely that's not a real word?

NightCastle
08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they're deliberately trying to kill the line, but doing so in a way to justify themselves to the shareholders - "we tried out best, but the product just didn't move!"

I sure hope not. It, so far would be the only small representation that I would be willing to get.

Of course it didn't help that they went the same way every ST ship manufacturer (except Furuta) by making the same ships we've seen in toy form a bazillion times already and then wondering why they don't sell.

By the way is there anyone else who made the Ent C?

Darth Windu, on a side note, have you read the Clone Wars novel called Shatterpoint? It has someone in it called Kar Vastor who is suppose to be the last of Mace Windu's family lineage that he comes across and someone who does use a form of the dark side (actually a form of nature force that uses all including the dark) which could make him the closest I can find to a true Darth Windu.

Just thought you might find that interesting.

Darth Duranium
08-23-2009, 10:28 PM
On a side note it's not picking up 'bazillion' as a spelling error. Surely that's not a real word?

1000 Bazillions in a Kazillion.
I'm a big fan of the word "Grillion", especially when used in a sentence like, "He just zilched out about a grillion people".:D

As far as I know, there's just Furuta's, MM's, and a few garage kits in a small scale.

Darth Windu
08-24-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm sure DT is right, I certainly haven't heard of any other manufacturers than what he listed.

Darth Windu, on a side note, have you read the Clone Wars novel called Shatterpoint? It has someone in it called Kar Vastor who is suppose to be the last of Mace Windu's family lineage that he comes across and someone who does use a form of the dark side (actually a form of nature force that uses all including the dark) which could make him the closest I can find to a true Darth Windu.

Just thought you might find that interesting.
I have read that book actually, I own it. I didn't even think of it when I chose my nickname (which was many, many, many years ago in an old 'Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds' forum). I wanted to be 'Darth Kenobi' but that was taken, 'Darth Windu' seemed like a good alternative. :)

Tycho
08-24-2009, 02:51 AM
What I really want:

Hot Wheels USS Defiant
Hot Wheels Jem Hadar Fighter
Hot Wheels Cardassian Scout Ship
Hot Wheels Maquis Raider
Hot Wheels Romulan Scout Ship (TNG)
Hot Wheels Kazon Stinger
Hot Wheels Species 8492 (or whatever) bio-ship fighter

Playmates: Narada
Playmates: Jellyfish that holds my Spock 3 3/4" figure
Playmates: Shuttlecraft that holds 4 3 3/4" figures or more

DST: USS Voyager
DST: Cardassian Galor Class
DST: Borg Sphere
DST: Andorian Warship
DST: Scimitar (Nemesis)
DST: Romulan Warbird (Nemesis)
DST: Romulan Warbird (TNG)
DST: Dominon Warship
DST: Klingon Battle Cruiser (Kronos One)
DST: Klingon Flagship (TNG)
DST: Vulcan High Command Ship (Enterprise)

More.

Darth Windu
08-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Ha, I'd just like to see the Defiant (ie the REAL Defiant, not the version that JL teased us with) in any and all forms, especially as an AA/DST product :)

Darth Duranium
08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
DS9 does get passed by a lot... I do have many beefs with that show but the ships weren't one of 'em.

I would have loved to see a Corgi Defiant, Ent E, and Voyager. How about a nice TNG-era Romulan warbird from someone besides Hallmark. Furuta's not so impressive.

Tycho, I would welcome all of those Hot Wheels, too. BTW, 8472, dude.

I'd imagine that a Hot Wheels Maquis Raider would be about the same size as the Strike Force one. Do you have that one, or did you pass?

Blue2th
08-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Anybody ever seen this weird Borg Bank? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yRJei2ufw

NightCastle
08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Anybody ever seen this weird Borg Bank? lol

Weird! How do you get your money? Do you have to ignore the prime directive?

Darth Duranium
08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
It's awesome, Blue! Delightfully silly... ranks right up there with DW's Borg Teddybear :D.

The Borg are surprisingly patient with their banking protocols.

I got my Konami BoP today... it's really nice... very rigid plastic, unlike some of the others. Sculpting's sharp all over with special mention for the neck, head, engines and back end. The belly is completely different than Furuta's... much more accurate, IMO.
It has the same wingspan as the Furuta but it's way more finely detailed and is thinner, less chunky. Maybe it's just that new ship glow, but mould-wise, it really kicks Furuta's arse, IMO. Furuta's paint is better, though.

I grabbed an $8 Corgi BoP off eBay last week (probably the same mega toy seller as you, Spec) so I'll take a few pics of both when it gets here. $20 plus postage for both wasn't too shabby, methinks.:thumbsup:

Blue2th
08-27-2009, 04:27 PM
That is kinda silly huh.
I saw one on ebay for $39 and thought it might make a good Borg ship for a micro display, then I checked that one out on youtube...not! :cross-eye

Looking forward to your Konami comparison pics. Got a regular fleet of BOP's but I don't have that one yet.

Darth Duranium
08-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Can't say I'd pay $39 for it... buku bucks... but it is kinda cool. Unusual would be 1 word for it... I might grab one if it gets cheap just cuz it's so weird. Agreed, it might look ok with a bunch of other cubes in a collection. The little Ent D is not badly scaled, IMO. Kinda hilarious, really. Thanks for the head's up, Blue.

Took a long time to find a cheap Konami K-BoP... a lot of murderous scalping going on with that one... I guess it's a chase ship. Mine came from the croc-infested jungles of Queensland, Australia. I've gone troppo, mate. Dingoes ate my cash.

As youzes know, I like to get complete sets so I was thinking about grabbing the (newest) Corgi TOS Enterprise (not the raw metal version, ugh) to finish it off. Anybody pick it up? Is it worthwhile? Whaddayas think?

Another question for everybody: What's the longest you've waited to pick up a certain ship, due to price and/or availability? For me it's a close tie between the Furuta Romulan Warbird and the AF Alpha TF Droid Fighter... both took me years to find!

Spectre o'the Phaser
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Interesting custom Kelvin on the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260467238463#ht_15217wt_1167

NightCastle
08-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Interesting custom Kelvin on the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260467238463#ht_15217wt_1167

Yes, that is very interesting. Although GR would never have allowed it. Still a neat conceptualization.

LTBasker
08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
She's not too bad looking in TOS styling, shame they didn't add one of those weird antennas to the bussard collector ala The Cage & WNMHGB, though. I think that would have nicely fit in with the deflector dish.

It'd be even better if the person tried it again with the DST ships so it could have electronics.

Blue2th
08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
I admire the attempt, but it's all wrong. The bridge for one thing should be round in the shape of the saucer, the struts are too long, and do not have the ridges of the Kelvin. The underside of the secondary hull is too drastic.
This is the same idea I had with a smaller Furuta, but those things mentioned, I couldn't get around without some major surgery. Looks like he couldn't either. He does mention it as a re-imagined TOS Kelvin.

But hey people are bidding. :stupid:

Darth Duranium
08-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Well, as a "re-imagined TOS" Kelvin it's quite good (nice paint and decal work) but it's a million miles away from Trek XI ship, as Blue mentioned. My biggest beef is the warp nacelle and deflector which is way too different. Kinda looks like they took a one-engined TOS Destroyer and slapped an upper secondary hull on it.

Pretty good job on flipping the hangar bay...:D

Back to my first question: anybody pick up the Corgi TOS Ent? Worthwhile?

Blue2th
08-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Back to my first question: anybody pick up the Corgi TOS Ent? Worthwhile?

Yes, I have one DT. It is quite nice. Hefty too. If not mistaken by the feel of it (cold to the touch) the whole thing is metal except for a couple of pieces like the deflector, and front nacelle bubbles. It's almost twice the size of the Corgi BOP, or a Konami Enterprise Refit, as long as the Corgi D and Ultra Galactica, 1/4 more in size than a Hot Wheels Enterprise. A recommended buy, but it doesn't really fit into any size category. Kind of an oddball, but really nice.

Blue2th
08-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Heck, guess I should just show ya huh?
Some quickie pics with the F-Toys TOS Enterprise for size comparison:

Blue2th
08-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Couple more pics:

Spectre o'the Phaser
08-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, I gotta say a bunch of things bug me about the Corgi Ent., just from looking at these pics. The saucer section looks a bit too thick and the angle of the edge is wrong—seems too vertical. The pylons as well seem too thick. Actually, many areas are over-exaggerated and horsey, like the nacelle details for instance and the lower saucer surface details. The lack of paint is also bothersome. Despite the smaller size, the F-toys appears to me to be better proportioned—it just lacks the windows.

Blue2th
08-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Yeah, now that you mention those things Spectre. I think the pylons are thick because they are holding up die-cast nacelles. :neutral: This Enterprise is heavy.
One little thing that bugged me was the manufacturer's writing on both outer sides of the pylons.
The day-glo orange bussards are kind of weird too, but no big deal.
Still this is far better looking ship than the HW Refit, but again such an odd in between size. I like it better than the blue-green Corgi Enterprise D. The only metal on that one is the secondary hull which is no big deal, but though it's detailed nicely, the off color just kills it for me.

You can probably pick one of these Corgi TOS's pretty cheap these days. Even with a few issues, it's still pretty nice.

Hard to beat that F-Toys TOS Enterprise huh? It's my favorite of all of them. :thumbsup:

Darth Duranium
08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks muchly for your pics, Blue. :thumbsup: Greatly appreciated. It's quite nice overall... I even like the day-glo bussards... similar to Romando's and some MM's. Quite clean and sharp, especially in the profile shot. I like your Ultimate Computer tribute shot (#3), too.

I like the windows... most of the paint is quite crisp... but the seams along the warp engines are badly placed, IMO. Like you, I'd guess that the seams and thicknesses are due to the ship being mostly diecast... tradeoffs were made. Genuine diecast is rare, huh?

The bridge dome is probably the nicest I've ever seen...

Agreed Spec, the thickness of the saucer is an issue... it'd look more reasonable next to the chunkily saucered Hallmark refit.

Still gotta go with the '06 Hallmark TOS Ent as my favourite larger than JL-sized Ent (it's so graceful, lights up) but I will definitely grab the Corgi if I can dig up a cheap one. Strangely, there's very few on auction sites right now so I'll have to lurk in the shrubberies until one appears.;)

The F-Toys TOS Ent is still my favourite small Ent, too. Honourable mention to the JL WL Ent (which I will never find cheaply:cry:). I actually like the Corgi Ent D... it sure stands out from the rest!

Blue2th
08-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes I was quite surprised when I took it out of the package, at how much metal there was. Indeed a rare thing these days.

Going to get that Hallmark TOS one of these days, along with KBC I still haven't gotten yet..a funds thing. My Hallmark Enterprise A arrived but one nacelle didn't work so they gave me a full refund and didn't want it back. I guess I can live with a free one, till I can afford a fully functioning one.

Interesting size comparison I found for the Konami KBC is that it's right in the realm of size of the Hot Wheels ships. Haven't gotten the HW Refit yet, but it might look good next to it for an Undiscovered Country scenario. Here it is next to the HW Reliant:

Spectre o'the Phaser
08-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks muchly for your pics, Blue. :thumbsup:
Yes, thanks indeed for the pics, Blue. Didn't mean to sound so negative about the Corgi and then not even mention my appreciation for the fine pics. The Corgi's not too bad actually and the fact that it's largely heavy metal is certainly a plus.

Still gotta go with the '06 Hallmark TOS Ent as my favourite larger than JL-sized Ent (it's so graceful, lights up) but I will definitely grab the Corgi if I can dig up a cheap one. Strangely, there's very few on auction sites right now so I'll have to lurk in the shrubberies until one appears.;)

I'll probably choose either the Hallmark or the AA HD TOS Ent. as my larger scale ship (how long is the Hallmark?). I want a TOS Ent that will look good next to my (3) Bandai Ents (that I haven't built yet :upset:). The AA is probably scaled a bit too big and the Hallmark a bit too small but... watcha gonna do? The AA looks pretty darn good in pics. Will prob'ly go with that one. Although, next to the Bandai 1/1700 1701-E the smaller Hallmark would look more to scale.

The F-Toys TOS Ent is still my favourite small Ent, too. Honourable mention to the JL WL Ent (which I will never find cheaply:cry:). I actually like the Corgi Ent D... it sure stands out from the rest!

The F-toys one has really grown on me. And I too like the Corgi D, at least what I've seen in pics. Would like to stalk it and pounce on it. It's currently at about $35-$40 and holding. You and I might soon be stalking the same prey, DT. :grin:.

Blue2th
08-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Yes, thanks indeed for the pics, Blue. Didn't mean to sound so negative about the Corgi and then not even mention my appreciation for the fine pics. The Corgi's not too bad actually and the fact that it's largely heavy metal is certainly a plus.

No problem. If it's one thing I know, people here at SSG don't pull any punches in their opinions. If you collected the Star Wars figures, boy howdy you'd know. If I had thin skin, I wouldn't last 2 seconds here. Candy coating's for kids. ;)

Thanks though. :)

Darth Duranium
08-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Going to get that Hallmark TOS one of these days, along with KBC I still haven't gotten yet..a funds thing. My Hallmark Enterprise A arrived but one nacelle didn't work so they gave me a full refund and didn't want it back. I guess I can live with a free one, till I can afford a fully functioning one.

Funding issues aside:p, the only drawback to the HM '06 TOS Ent is the cheesy version of the Courage theme that plays for 15 seconds when you hit the button on the stand and it lights up. Stays lit for about 30 seconds after it shuts up and it does look stupendous... very bright red LEDs on the warp engines plus the bridge and lower dome light up white, too. A bit of electrical tape over the speaker holes on the bottom of the stand would sort it out. :pleased:

Blue, the HM KBC will look great next to your Konami KBC... it is your destiny. Oh sorry, wrong franchise.

Considering that the Hallmark A only stays lit up for 20 seconds at a time, that'd be quite easy to live with as-is. When lit, just look at it from the good side for now.:D

Interesting size comparison I found for the Konami KBC is that it's right in the realm of size of the Hot Wheels ships. Haven't gotten the HW Refit yet, but it might look good next to it for an Undiscovered Country scenario. Here it is next to the HW Reliant:

Most Hallmarks are about that size. Hmmm... I’ll probably grab a HW Reliant, Saratoga and a K-BoP eventually… prices are still dropping. Still gonna pass on that wonky Refit. Releasing the Ent XI in February 2010 is beyond me. Someone at Mattel should be fed to a Targ.

I'll probably choose either the Hallmark or the AA HD TOS Ent. as my larger scale ship (how long is the Hallmark?). I want a TOS Ent that will look good next to my (3) Bandai Ents (that I haven't built yet :upset:). The AA is probably scaled a bit too big and the Hallmark a bit too small but... watcha gonna do? The AA looks pretty darn good in pics. Will prob'ly go with that one. Although, next to the Bandai 1/1700 1701-E the smaller Hallmark would look more to scale.

The Hallmark ’06 TOS Ent is 6” x 2.5” x 4”h on the stand… but I’m thinking that the recently gut-shot :D Corgi TOS Ent might be better scaled with the Bandai E. You might have to learn to love her a little more, Spec… a shotgun wedding? Phaser rifle nuptuals? Anyhoo, it’s a unique size for a TOS Ent all right... might be the happy medium you're lookin' for.

The F-toys one has really grown on me. And I too like the Corgi D, at least what I've seen in pics. Would like to stalk it and pounce on it. It's currently at about $35-$40 and holding. You and I might soon be stalking the same prey, DT. :grin:.

Naw, I’ve already got a Corgi D… you probably saw my picture of it earlier in the thread! That prey is yours alone, dude… unless you’re lookin’ for the TOS Ent, too.

The F-Toys TOS Ent is well-scaled for the Corgi D… it’s about half as long.
Agreed, that F-Toys deflector dish and those clear nacelles are hard to beat.

If it's one thing I know, people here at SSG don't pull any punches in their opinions. If you collected the Star Wars figures, boy howdy you'd know.

Boy howdy, now that’s a funny expression. Holy doodle!
Strong opinions don’t seem to be in short supply, huh?
A lot of posts get lost in translation and create a world of crap, but thankfully there's a lotta good information and goofiness, too…

Blue2th
08-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Boy howdy, now that’s a funny expression. Holy doodle!
Strong opinions don’t seem to be in short supply, huh?
A lot of posts get lost in translation and create a world of crap, but thankfully there's a lotta good information and goofiness, too…

Dang tarnation! and some folks git a little high falutin' too, thinkin' their 'pinions are better, then they git knocked off the ol' high horse, boy howdy! :grin:

Darth Duranium
08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Darn tootin', pardner.:thumbsup: Gits to be a little like the OK Corral sometimes...

Seein' as we was jawin' 'bout them Corgi Ents, here's one I ain't never laid eyes on before...

An early "The Vengeance of Khan" packaged Corgi Refit... looks legit to me. Kinda like the Revenge of the Jedi thang.

Dang peculiar and a terrifyingly accurate version of the ship, huh? The last pic's the regular version.

Spectre o'the Phaser
08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
I admire the attempt, but it's all wrong. The bridge for one thing should be round in the shape of the saucer, the struts are too long, and do not have the ridges of the Kelvin. The underside of the secondary hull is too drastic.
This is the same idea I had with a smaller Furuta, but those things mentioned, I couldn't get around without some major surgery. Looks like he couldn't either. He does mention it as a re-imagined TOS Kelvin.

But hey people are bidding. :stupid:

$251 worth of bidding.

NightCastle
08-31-2009, 02:04 PM
$251 worth of bidding.
I saw that. I think it was due to all of the overseas bidding as well as the new Star Trek hype.

Blue2th
08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
It pays to list something with international bidders included.
There's a lot of toys we take for granted that are easy for us Americans to get, while the rest of the world is starving for them.

I've sold some extra 12" Star Trek and Star Wars figures (replaced with Sideshow 12") I would get nothing for here in the states, but worldwide bidders go crazy over because they can't get them otherwise. It really is remarkable considering I thought this stuff was worthless and had been sitting in my garage for 10 or more years. While half of it I might not get what I paid for it, the other half makes up for it. So at least I get close to breaking even.

It's just a hassle doing the customs forms though. Most people don't want to deal with it.

I remember when the situation was reversed though and the only place you could get Johnny Lightning Star Trek Wave 3 was from Great Britain, and you paid more because the pound was worth more than the dollar.
Same goes for the Furuta, Konami, Bandai etc. you can only get them from the far east usually.

Darth Duranium
08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
$251 is way overpriced but it was an interesting and well-built piece. And I thought Trek got only lukewarm support outside of N. America?

Almost everything I've ever sold has gone out of country, but that's what you get for living in a country with a small-ish population. It is totally worth adding international buyers... I just might be one of the bidders.:pleased:

Sometimes it's hard to find sellers who don't try to gouge on the international postage... the new eBay rules should improve that situation. Filling out a customs dec ain't so bad if you're gettin' more cash for your stuff, huh?

I've seen Furuta and Bandai in a few stores, but they're never around for very long. I picked up JL Wave 3 in a store... a rare thing. I did get a WL NX-01 from the UK, though. I saw one in your collection pics, Blue.:thumbsup:

Blue2th
08-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Yup, and postage is hard to figure out sometimes, but if you can keep it under 4 lbs. and under a certain size, then you can send it USPS First Class International which saves booku bucks.

Darth Duranium
08-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Never seen this before... it's an Ent E radio from Wesco.

Looks pretty good to me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-Enterprise-1701-E-Radio-Model-w-lights-NIB_W0QQitemZ230373157295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item35a34f69af&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Spectre o'the Phaser
08-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Yup, and postage is hard to figure out sometimes, but if you can keep it under 4 lbs. and under a certain size, then you can send it USPS First Class International which saves booku bucks.

I sent a 1/6 scale military action figure to Brazil via First Class Mail International last month. I had listed the item on Ebay with Priority Mail as the only overseas method; which is trackable. But the buyer requested First Class and I obliged. Big mistake. First Class does not allow tracking or insurance. The package never arrived... supposedly. Now PayPal has frozen the payment pending their "investigation." The only proof that I have is the postal receipt that I scanned and submitted to the PayPal resolution center—but that doesn't show the name or the full address of the addressee, only that it was sent on such date to Brazil. Without evidence of electronic tracking I'm likely screwed—never mind my 100% feedback with an over 200 rating.

Lesson learned. Oftentimes the truth counts for nothing opposite high volume, high speed online business.

I strongly recommend shipping an item with electronic tracking. It's your only protection as a seller from the over-the-top, hyper-buyer-protective, screw-the-seller monster that Ebay has become.

Sorry to get off topic.

Blue2th
08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
I sent a 1/6 scale military action figure to Brazil via First Class Mail International last month. I had listed the item on Ebay with Priority Mail as the only overseas method; which is trackable. But the buyer requested First Class and I obliged. Big mistake. First Class does not allow tracking or insurance. The package never arrived... supposedly. Now PayPal has frozen the payment pending their "investigation." The only proof that I have is the postal receipt that I scanned and submitted to the PayPal resolution center—but that doesn't show the name or the full address of the addressee, only that it was sent on such date to Brazil. Without evidence of electronic tracking I'm likely screwed—never mind my 100% feedback with an over 200 rating.

Lesson learned. Oftentimes the truth counts for nothing opposite high volume, high speed online business.

I strongly recommend shipping an item with electronic tracking. It's your only protection as a seller from the over-the-top, hyper-buyer-protective, screw-the-seller monster that Ebay has become.

Sorry to get off topic.
Yikes!!! I didn't know that. That sucks! I'll keep that in mind next time. So far hasn't happened to me, knock on wood.

Never seen this before... it's an Ent E radio from Wesco.

Looks pretty good to me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-Enterprise-1701-E-Radio-Model-w-lights-NIB_W0QQitemZ230373157295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item35a34f69af&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
It's a Wesco wessel! :) The top looks pretty nicely detailed. Interesting. Kinda goes with the Borg Bank in Star Trek oddities.

Darth Duranium
09-02-2009, 01:05 AM
That does suck, Spec. I've had no issues shipping int'l without tracking numbers... even to countries I thought were a bit dodgy, post-wise. Just lucky, I guess. I hope you don't lose the dispute. That ain't right. Hopefully your track record and customs form will count for something.

Agreed Blue, the bottom's pretty sparce, detail wise.

I saw an Ent E clock on eBay that was similar to that wascally Wesco wessel once...

Blue2th
09-27-2009, 08:36 AM
The Playmates Enterprise 09' went on sale at Target for $20.
The figures are on sale also at below $5.

Blue2th
10-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Playmates Enterprise went down to $7.99 at Target today so if your going to get one now's the time.
I got one.

I saw the playsets at similar prices, but I'd already spent most of my money on 3 Geonosis packs, a Rancor and a bunch of ST figures which went down to $1.72.

I'd like to at least get the transporter set.

Spectre o'the Phaser
10-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Playmates Enterprise went down to $7.99 at Target today so if your going to get one now's the time.
I got one.

Which one are you talking about, Blue? The only thing I see on their site is $29.99: http://www.target.com/Playmates-Star-Enterprise-Iconic-Vehicle/dp/B001KPKMKW/sr=1-1/qid=1255648138/ref=sr_1_1/179-5948622-8785062?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Astar%20trek&page=1

Blue2th
10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Which one are you talking about, Blue? The only thing I see on their site is $29.99: http://www.target.com/Playmates-Star-Enterprise-Iconic-Vehicle/dp/B001KPKMKW/sr=1-1/qid=1255648138/ref=sr_1_1/179-5948622-8785062?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Astar%20trek&page=1
That's the one, the big one.
I don't know about online, you got to go into the store that is...

Spectre o'the Phaser
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
That's the one, the big one.
I don't know about online, you got to go into the store that is...

Are you kiddin' me? Sounds like a misplaced price sticker to me. :thumbsup:

Darth Duranium
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Out of a clear blue sky, IM Toys from Brazil sent me a catalogue of their Crazy Details ships... here's a few Trek ships and their pitch:

This is a list of items made by "CRAZY DETAILS", from Argentina, all are resin models, already built and painted, one by one hand made. It's very well received on all communities as e-bay, Starship Modelers, etc.

There is a list of prices (US currency):

Runabout (Deep Space-9) = R$67.00 (11cm)
USS Enterprise-E = $77.00 (20cm)
USS Enterprise NX-01 = $77.00 (20cm)
USS Voyager = $59.00 (16cm)
USS Akira = $65.00 (19cm)
Klingon Cruiser TV = $67.00 (13cm)
Klingon Cruiser Movie = $69.00 (13cm)

I grabbed an SSD from them years ago so I can vouch for them to some degree... I really liked what I got!

More stuff and website here: www.imtoys.com.br

Decals would have been nice and the stands are a bit dodgy. Not too bad, though.

Darth Duranium
10-21-2009, 02:32 PM
This one's in a league of its own...:cross-eye

Shudder.

Darth Windu
10-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow, those ships look terrible! The Star Wars ones (in the other thread) look fantastic, these are crap! The paintwork on the Akira is especially bad and woefully inaccurate, can't say many good things about the others either.

Darth Duranium
10-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Hehe yeah the Akira's paint is pretty awful... looks like a tennis racquet or something.:D The KBC's paint is dreadful, too. I don't mind the sculpting so much... but I'd never pay what they're asking for it.
And why can't someone make a nice small-scale Akira?

Darth Windu
10-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Agreed, I think in the fan community the Akira is the one people want, generally speaking. Helps that it was prominent in First Contact, DS9, and Voyager.

I'd think though that Hallmark or F-toys would be the best way to get it. If Playmates continue their plans for the small ships, they're most likely to simply re-do the same old ships we've seen done 20,000 times already. Pity Furuta didn't get around to making the Thunderchild. :(

Darth Duranium
10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Here's hoping Playmates is gonna come through with an Akira... not much left out there. Hallmark would be way cool!

Drexfiles posted a pic of Andrew Probert's take on the new Karaokeprise... he thinks it's "off balance"... here's how he'd fix it.

Interesting to see how the old team regards the new team's work. I'd love to hear their opinions of the flick in general.

Also some nice renders of a Borg Tactical Cube over there, too. Check out his custom NX... unbelievable!

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Out of a clear blue sky, IM Toys from Brazil sent me a catalogue of their Crazy Details ships... here's a few Trek ships and their pitch:

This is a list of items made by "CRAZY DETAILS", from Argentina, all are resin models, already built and painted, one by one hand made. It's very well received on all communities as e-bay, Starship Modelers, etc.

There is a list of prices (US currency):

Runabout (Deep Space-9) = R$67.00 (11cm)
USS Enterprise-E = $77.00 (20cm)
USS Enterprise NX-01 = $77.00 (20cm)
USS Voyager = $59.00 (16cm)
USS Akira = $65.00 (19cm)
Klingon Cruiser TV = $67.00 (13cm)
Klingon Cruiser Movie = $69.00 (13cm)

I grabbed an SSD from them years ago so I can vouch for them to some degree... I really liked what I got!

More stuff and website here: www.imtoys.com.br (http://www.imtoys.com.br)

Decals would have been nice and the stands are a bit dodgy. Not too bad, though.IMO, those Trek entries are not living up to their name, I am not seeing crazy details in any of those molds, not even remotely on the level of their SW entries.

This one's in a league of its own...:cross-eye

Shudder.What? It's steeltastic! :p You can pretend you're Geordi LaForge on the holodeck romancing a pretend version of Dr Leah Brahms while a matte painting of the unfinished Enterprise D sits in the background not looking convincing.

No excuse for that type-6 shuttlecraft though. :p

Here's hoping Playmates is gonna come through with an Akira... not much left out there. Hallmark would be way cool!

Drexfiles posted a pic of Andrew Probert's take on the new Karaokeprise... he thinks it's "off balance"... here's how he'd fix it.

Interesting to see how the old team regards the new team's work. I'd love to hear their opinions of the flick in general.

Also some nice renders of a Borg Tactical Cube over there, too. Check out his custom NX... unbelievable!

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/No surprise on Probert's take on the JJprise, it's basically turning it into his Ent D design. He's totally right though, the saucer is taking the JJprise out of balance, it's way too big. Probert's photoshoppery does point out how fugly the neck on that thing is though. Let's face it, the JJprise is an exercise in how to take the most iconic and most respected starship design ever created and ugly it up with "nu-think".

That reminds me, I was checking out the blu-ray extras on ST:Generations and they had an homage to Matt Jefferies, shot right before he died. There was one shot of his unused design sketches for the TOS Enterprise that blew my mind, it was the TOS Enterprise in every way except one: it had the TMP nacelle pylon sweep and general shape. That floored me, Jefferies had that idea way back in the '60s, and it looked so good, so right, so perfect, but it was too expensive to implement.

Darth Duranium
11-02-2009, 08:12 PM
IMO, those Trek entries are not living up to their name, I am not seeing crazy details in any of those molds, not even remotely on the level of their SW entries.

Agreed that they're nowhere as good as their SW ships, but I didn't think they were all that bad. I wouldn't mind that Akira but their pricing is ridiculously unrealistic.... I'd expect a lot better for that pricepoint. Accurate paint and decals wouldn't be a bad place to start...

What? It's steeltastic! :p You can pretend you're Geordi LaForge on the holodeck romancing a pretend version of Dr Leah Brahms while a matte painting of the unfinished Enterprise D sits in the background not looking convincing.
No excuse for that type-6 shuttlecraft though. :p

Things have really slipped at Utopia Planitia lately... maybe the work's been outsourced to the Pakleds!

No surprise on Probert's take on the JJprise, it's basically turning it into his Ent D design. He's totally right though, the saucer is taking the JJprise out of balance, it's way too big. Probert's photoshoppery does point out how fugly the neck on that thing is though. Let's face it, the JJprise is an exercise in how to take the most iconic and most respected starship design ever created and ugly it up with "nu-think".

There are things I like about the new Ent... the nacelles, deflector, and shuttlebay seems cool to me. I thought Probert was turning it into the Enterprise C!

That reminds me, I was checking out the blu-ray extras on ST:Generations and they had an homage to Matt Jefferies, shot right before he died. There was one shot of his unused design sketches for the TOS Enterprise that blew my mind, it was the TOS Enterprise in every way except one: it had the TMP nacelle pylon sweep and general shape. That floored me, Jefferies had that idea way back in the '60s, and it looked so good, so right, so perfect, but it was too expensive to implement.

Sounds a bit like the Phase II Enterprise...:) Got a screenshot JT?

JediTricks
11-04-2009, 02:58 AM
Agreed that they're nowhere as good as their SW ships, but I didn't think they were all that bad. I wouldn't mind that Akira but their pricing is ridiculously unrealistic.... I'd expect a lot better for that pricepoint. Accurate paint and decals wouldn't be a bad place to start...
That USS Prometheus looks almost as simple as the Furuta which is a tenth the price and licensed and probably half the size. The Akira looks ok but like a Playmates version of it, simplified and shiny and brightly colored and $20. Voyager doesn't look any more impressive than any other out there, certainly not crazily detailed and a little thick to boot. I'm just not seeing anything on any of those designs that screams either "crazy detailing!" or "worth $65 and up!" when I can get that quality between Johnny Lightning and Furuta and other Gashapon.

Things have really slipped at Utopia Planitia lately... maybe the work's been outsourced to the Pakleds!Pakleds are smart, Pakleds are powerful, Pakleds will deliver your shuttle on schedule.

There are things I like about the new Ent... the nacelles, deflector, and shuttlebay seems cool to me. I thought Probert was turning it into the Enterprise C!None of that registers for me on the JJprise, it's all bad from all angles.

Sounds a bit like the Phase II Enterprise...:) Got a screenshot JT?I don't have a blu-ray player on my PC, so I'd have to take a photo of my HDTV, but I will give that a shot next time I pop in the disc. It's really not that Phase II though, the engines are the same round rocket shape they were on the show.

BTW, what is that thing you have attached? The name claims Phase II, but I've never seen ANY art that corresponds to that oddity. It looks like a custom-built fan item from tin.

Darth Duranium
11-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Agreed... not worth the dosh.

Pakleds are smart, Pakleds are powerful, Pakleds will deliver your shuttle on schedule.

It's true. Pakleds look for things. Packleds are smart. Make us steel-tastic!!

I don't have a blu-ray player on my PC, so I'd have to take a photo of my HDTV, but I will give that a shot next time I pop in the disc. It's really not that Phase II though, the engines are the same round rocket shape they were on the show.

Look forward to it.... don't think I've seen it.

BTW, what is that thing you have attached? The name claims Phase II, but I've never seen ANY art that corresponds to that oddity. It looks like a custom-built fan item from tin.

I have no idea where that pic came from anymore... it was on my HD. Could be a fan-made item... perhaps it was built by Pakleds at the foundry.

I read that the aborted 8' Phase II model was eventually restored by its creator (Brick Brice) and it's now in a Planet Hollywood somewhere.
Some good shots of the artwork and some model pics here:

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/phase2_3.php

I love stuff like this... truly a "What If" scenario.

The shuttle's cool, too.
McQuarrie's Ent is interesting, but strange.

JediTricks
11-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Never seen that shuttle before, it's WAY different from the other phase II shuttle designs (mainly what we got with the Surak shuttle).

I love McQuarrie but I never liked his take on the Enterprise, and that asteroid base seen in some of his Trek art was nifty as hell but very un-Trek. I didn't know this, but Andrew "I designed the Ent Refit and Ent D" Probert was brought on with McQuarrie, how wild is that?

Darth Duranium
11-04-2009, 07:14 PM
The shuttle reminds me of Galaxy Quest a little.;)

I was just thinking that the Phase II TV model has a few similarities to the Karaokeprise... notably the huge saucer and closely set nacelles.

To me, it looks like the Phase II TV model (supposedly at Planet Hollywood in NYC) went through a lot more changes to make it more like the refit. How dumb is that? They should have finished it in pure Phase II form, IMO. Hopefully, it's a fibreglass copy and not the original model...

http://wonderworksweb.com/ftpfolder/Photo/pictures/image137.jpg

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showpost.php?p=2444816&postcount=24

Agreed, the Refit/Phase II Ent has had some unbelievably amazing designers, huh? Matt Jefferies, Ken Adam, Ralph McQuarrie, Andrew Probert, Mike Minor, Joe Jennings, Doug Trumbull, Richard Taylor, and Harold Michaelson all had a hand in its design... plus all the guys who actually built them. And Roddenberry. And Wise. Sid Mead designed the interior of V'ger! Who's left?:D

Darth Windu
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
As a side note, the two concept P2 Enterprises (pics 2 and 3) did end up on-screen as part of the Federation Fleet wreckage post-Battle of Wolf 359. I believe they may have also appeared in the junkyard in 'Unification'.

JediTricks
11-05-2009, 03:30 PM
The shuttle reminds me of Galaxy Quest a little.;)Yeah, I see that, the main body of the Protector.

I was just thinking that the Phase II TV model has a few similarities to the Karaokeprise... notably the huge saucer and closely set nacelles. Hmm, not seeing how the nacelles are closely set. They seem wider there than the actual movie version.

To me, it looks like the Phase II TV model (supposedly at Planet Hollywood in NYC) went through a lot more changes to make it more like the refit. How dumb is that? They should have finished it in pure Phase II form, IMO. Hopefully, it's a fibreglass copy and not the original model...

http://wonderworksweb.com/ftpfolder/Photo/pictures/image137.jpg

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showpost.php?p=2444816&postcount=24That definitely isn't what the Phase II art was suggesting, they did go to TMP and it's such a waste.

Darth Duranium
11-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I see that, the main body of the Protector.

Hmm, not seeing how the nacelles are closely set. They seem wider there than the actual movie version.

That definitely isn't what the Phase II art was suggesting, they did go to TMP and it's such a waste.

By Grabthar's hammer... by the Sons of Warvan... it's quite similar.

Check out the 5th pic above of the unreconstituted P2 Ent... maybe you'll see what I mean. Could be the camera angle or the enormous saucer, but the nacelles do look more closely and lowly set in that pic... to me at least.
The nacelle struts are quite unique.

Why they'd ruin a unique Enterprise for a restaurant display is just beyond me.
Enjoy your chimichangas and Pabst Blue Ribbon!:ninja:

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 02:44 AM
They are lower than the TMP ones, but I'm not seeing narrow at all, they seem at least the same width apart as the final version. The pylons start a little differently though.

Planet Hollywood is soulless.

Darth Duranium
11-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Y'know, I've wandered inside to look at the memorabilia but I've never eaten at a Planet Hollywood... not appealing to me whatsoever.

Themed chain restaurants are for kiddies, IMO. TGI Friday's humiliates its employees almost as much as Hooters... I can't bear to see that corporate slave environment, no matter how much coin the serfs are making.

NightCastle
11-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I just got notification that my HotWheels JJPrise has shipped!!

Finally!! I ordered it in May, over seven months ago. I will have to post pics when I get it.

Darth Duranium
11-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Wow, NC! According to the Mayan calendar, it's a clear sign of the impending apocalypse.:D
Looking forward to your pics!

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 04:57 AM
I just posted congrats in the other thread, but then checked ebay and not a single one out there yet, so this is a bigger deal (or a bigger skunk by the company you ordered from, though I hope not) than I thought.

Darth Duranium
11-14-2009, 05:04 PM
I'd order one from EE if they didn't want $18 to ship it up here... redonkulous!:whip:

Guess I'll have to lurk in the shrubberies until they show up elsewhere.:tired:

NightCastle
11-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I ordered my JJPrise from Ent Earth. It is scheduled for delivery next Wednesday, conveniently right after the DVD of JJ Abrams' version of ST.

Isn't that interesting.

Darth Duranium
11-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Someone posted a few pics of the 8" New Ent that comes with the Target (US)/Best Buy (Canada) editions...

http://www.400scalehangar.net/forums/showthread.php?p=499705

I'll be nipping out to grab one later.:thumbsup: Looks decent!

There's also a solid metal QMX Ent that ships with the Amazon 5000 piece exclusive but it's totally sold out anyway. Sculpting looks nice but $91 including the discs is pretty steep. It's 8.5" long apparently... but it doesn't look it next to the box. Hmmm....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HWRZH0?tag=thescifannetw-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B002HWRZH0&adid=0XK7GXE50ZZ6VWCTQ7Q0&

LTBasker
11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
It's not really in the picture with the box so the scale is off. It's been cut out from the black background picture, pasted into the picture with the box and given a fake shadow.

I'm hoping to grab the Target version with the Enterprise kit. I'm not a big fan of the ship design, but it's one of the best exclusive DVD items I've ever seen, and the model seems to have some very nice detail and paint application to it.

Darth Duranium
11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Agreed, great value for the money, LT. Looks surprisingly good.

I just saw the new Watchmen set with Archie(!)... nice but expensive ($75). Have to think hard about that one. I wonder if Archie comes with a box of Viagra and a handful of condoms, too?:D Would seem appropriate, considering its use in the flick.

The other dvd box set I loved the packaging for was the Matrix set from Japan... the giant Nebuchadnezzar dvd box.

NightCastle
11-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Go Here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40415&page=48) and scroll to the bottom to see my review of the model!

Thanks.

Darth Duranium
11-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Drexfiles are working on renders for the 2011 Ships of the Line calendar... sounds interesting:

"Bulletin! Pierre Drolet and I will team on a page refitting the NX-01 to a fifth season projection… picture a secondary hull and a TOS porcelain finish."

So it turns out that the JL White Lightning NX-01 is becoming a little more canon after all.

"Bulletin! Andrew Probert will unveil a TNG era Romulan uber cruiser you’ve never seen. Can you say monster? I knew that you could."

We've already seen the Narada and (Reman) Scimitar... another monster, huh?

There's some nice new wallpapers over there, too...:thumbsup:

NightCastle
11-25-2009, 01:56 PM
a TOS porcelain finish."

That's odd! Since so many people get their panties in a wad once it is mentioned that the original enterprise was white.

Unless, I am mistaken and porcelain has actually been that mysterious grey that so many people have been claiming was the original enterprise's color.;)

If so, then matching that to a model should be quite easy.:laugh:

...but, I digress. I actually have the pearlized NX-01 model and think it is nice looking. I wonder what they are intending with an engineering hull that will not make it look too much like the original E. If it does come to pass, I would love to see a model of it. Preferably JL or F-Toys sized.

Darth Duranium
11-26-2009, 09:38 PM
There have been many twisted knickers caused by the TOS Ent colour question, NC.:D

And you're just stirring that porcelain pot! Asking for trouble...;)

I've got the pearly JL Ent too... think it looks cool that way, too. Wondering where the nacelles are gonna go, too...

Darth Duranium
12-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I just saw this baby on eBay... didn't know MB had made the Ent, too.
Anybody know anything about it? Looks like it's from '79.

JediTricks
12-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I believe the saucer has lights and sound effects, and the engineering hull, pylons, and warp nacelles are all removable and reconfigurable to make different ships (hence the incorrect angling on that photo), including one similar to the Miranda Class a few years later. You've got the era right, and MB released it under their "South Bend" brand name. Here are more photos:
http://www.calormen.com/star_trek/SouthBend/index.htm

Darth Duranium
12-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks JT... great site! I have seen the South Bend Ent before (here on SSG, I think) ...I didn't know they were part of MB. Never seen it in all those configurations before! That ship was ahead of its time... there's few ship configs there that we didn't see onscreen 'til many years later.

I would have bid for sure if I collected that scale. It was going for $35, with a few hours left. Not sure what it eventually went for but it didn't look too busy.

It's an interesting trade-off between having slots all over the ship and all the different ways the ship can be deployed. I think the slots are worth it... it'd really be fun to play with.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-20-2009, 12:43 AM
IMO, that ship is something Trek is sorely lacking right now, and really it's been lacking it since the early '90s: kid interest & playability. If someone released a similar ship right now but made the connectors less blatant, I would LOVE that. At 12, I would have DIED for something that cool. Creativity and imagination-expanding concepts are not really at the forefront of Trek anymore, and it's a shame. I fear that it's been gone so long that kids don't even know that it COULD be there, and this new movie is no different.

clone157
12-20-2009, 03:32 PM
That is one of the coolest Trek toys I've ever seen. F-toys take note, this is how to make your good line of ships great.

Blue2th
12-20-2009, 03:53 PM
It would be fun to change parts and rearrange it into other ships. I would have loved to have had one back in my youth, but I don't see it as a viable adult collectible like the newer ships because you can only make vague "types" of ships, not actual ones.

I love the concept though.
Maybe the same thing only with other separate attachable parts to make it a more authentic ship.

Wish someone would do that with the Reliant into the Bozeman.

Maybe have the other ships in the 2009 movie like the Kelvin and the ships docked at the space station in the movie, which look to have similar nacelles and secondary hulls.
The 09' Enterprise though seems to be unique and different in every way to the other ships except maybe the saucer section.

Darth Windu
12-28-2009, 08:06 AM
I received a Playmates movie Enterprise for Christmas (amongst other things), and I have to say I'm impressed. It's a nice size, looks accurate (though I haven't seen the movie) and has some good clips. My personal favourite is

"Captain, Engineering reports that we're good to go"
"Boom"

hahahahaha

Darth Duranium
01-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Speaking of adding parts to ships, Drexfiles posted a preview pic of the proposed Season 5 NX-01... which I took the liberty of messing with in P-shop to lighten up a lot.

Kinda interesting.... I like it a lot!

DW... whatzza matta wid you? You ain't seen the new Trek yet? On your bike, mate!

Here's the new cheery trailer :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l96aDWIbn48

Count me in on that Bozeman, Blue. Hey, anyone remember that horrible Cheers stage reunion set on the bridge of the Enterprise?

JediTricks
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Why would someone bother to loop Trek sounds over that commercial? The original is a ripoff enough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwg9tfsbYE

That is absolutely crazy about the NX-01's changes. I think I would have thrown up if they had done that on the show, it's too far, there would be almost no size difference between that and the Constitution-class from nearly a hundred years later.

Blue2th
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Speaking of adding parts to ships, Drexfiles posted a preview pic of the proposed Season 5 NX-01... which I took the liberty of messing with in P-shop to lighten up a lot.

Kinda interesting.... I like it a lot!

DW... whatzza matta wid you? You ain't seen the new Trek yet? On your bike, mate!

Here's the new cheery trailer :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l96aDWIbn48

Count me in on that Bozeman, Blue. Hey, anyone remember that horrible Cheers stage reunion set on the bridge of the Enterprise?
I saw that NX over on Drex. Thanks for lightening it up DH. I can see more. Looks like the impulse engines are midway up on the engine pylons.
So this would have been the official NX-01 Refit if season 5 was on?

I loved Enterprise...if only :cry:

Yeah baby! cheesy Cheer commercial. I would have bought it just because of the Star Trek affiliation. :yes:

Darth Duranium
01-07-2010, 07:36 PM
The Cheer ad is kinda disturbing, somehow... in either form. Oddly compelling, too. I thought she was gonna do something weird to the kiddies.

...it's too far, there would be almost no size difference between that and the Constitution-class from nearly a hundred years later.

Agreed JT but I always thought the regular NX-class ships looked too advanced (Akira) for their time period. I imagined that they should have looked more like the USS Horizon (Daedalus-class) or the Phoenix at that stage.

Still, it's a nicely proportioned ship... I even like the impulse engines on the pylons. I thought they might give us a Kelvin-style upper hull ...but they didn't. Cool, all the same. Wonder if they're gonna render it with a white hull, as they hinted at earlier.

Blue, I think it's just fanciful thinking on the part of the SOTL guys.:thumbsup: I don't think there was ever a plan.

The S5 NX is bit like the Viper Mk VIII... except that the producers asked for that one.:D

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I agree, the NX class is too advanced, but at least conceptually it's rounder and smaller, that's what made it not TOO insulting.

The NX should have looked like the ENT Vulcan ring ships but with a thinner main body, as seen in TMP, but it's not a particularly sexy design.

Darth Duranium
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I agree, the NX class is too advanced, but at least conceptually it's rounder and smaller, that's what made it not TOO insulting.

The NX should have looked like the ENT Vulcan ring ships but with a thinner main body, as seen in TMP, but it's not a particularly sexy design.

Agreed, the early design XCV Enterprise is not sexy at all... I'm glad they didn't go that route. It would have been one continuous "bottle show" because the ship takes years to get to any destination.:sleeping: Then again, that might have been an improvement over Scott Spatula's non-existent acting chops.:D

I'd still like an XCV Ent in JL scale, though!

Tycho
01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
I have a letter from Playmates Toys saying they have no buyers to ship the next wave of Star Trek 2009 products to.

They are sorry and will look for a way to get their planned product out in the future.

Darth Windu
01-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Bad news, but rather funny too. I wonder why the products are bombing so badly at retail?

Darth Duranium
01-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Sadly, we've known that the PM Trek "mini-ships" are toast for a while now. Actually, I'm still trying to wangle one... will let you guys know if it ever happens.

Real shame that all those other Trek and Termie lines are finished, too.

I wonder if the Avatar stuff is flying off the shelves? You'd think so. It's made a mega-grillion dollars at the box office so far.

BTW, anybody seen any small ships from it?

ThePainkiller
01-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Anyone know of a ~1/1500 scale of the Original Enterprise? TMP or Series. Im trying to match one up with my AA Ent-E and A Ent-D?

Darth Duranium
02-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey JT... looks like the SOTL guys were having the same discussion as us about early Enterprise designs. Here's another early render of the NX refit with the XCV Enterprise. Too funny... they must be reading our posts. Yeah, right! :)

The refit reminds me of the Ambassador Class (Ent C) in the side profile. The XCV's bow reminds me of Richard Branson's SpaceShipOne.

BTW, there's an awesome article on Drexfiles about the earliest Trekkies and The Federation Outpost... fascinating, so to speak.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/the-federation-trading-post-east/

Sucks that Drexler is only posting once a month now... but it's still the most interesting Trek/BSG/Caprica site out there, IMHO.

clone157
02-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I think I may try to customize one of these out of the F-toys Enterprises.

Darth Duranium
02-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I would love to see that... would be awesome!

JediTricks
02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey JT... looks like the SOTL guys were having the same discussion as us about early Enterprise designs. Here's another early render of the NX refit with the XCV Enterprise. Too funny... they must be reading our posts. Yeah, right! :)

The refit reminds me of the Ambassador Class (Ent C) in the side profile. The XCV's bow reminds me of Richard Branson's SpaceShipOne.It's the natural order of things. Trekkies must be who they must be. :p Ships of the Line is such a cool project, but somehow they never quite cross the threshold for me in terms of paying for product. It's never quite solid enough for me to want to put on my cellphone as a wallpaper, and that's my chief criteria.

BTW, there's an awesome article on Drexfiles about the earliest Trekkies and The Federation Outpost... fascinating, so to speak.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/the-federation-trading-post-east/

Sucks that Drexler is only posting once a month now... but it's still the most interesting Trek/BSG/Caprica site out there, IMHO.I guess he's busy with work. That's a cool article tho'.

Darth Windu
02-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Gotta say I love the Enterprise refit. To me, it looks like what she should have been from the start, rather than an Akira.

Darth Duranium
02-08-2010, 04:46 AM
It's the natural order of things. Trekkies must be who they must be. :p

Trekkies look for things. Trekkies are smart. :D

Agreed, there's an enormous amount of stuff in the Trek Universe that no one will ever, ever agree upon and will debate until the end of Time. This is why Trek is slightly higher on the Nerd Scale than SW. Still, interesting that we're on the same page.

Ships of the Line is such a cool project, but somehow they never quite cross the threshold for me in terms of paying for product. It's never quite solid enough for me to want to put on my cellphone as a wallpaper, and that's my chief criteria.

Same here... besides, there's loads of great free wallpapers you can make for yourself from Drex's high-rez SOTL jpegs! Bless. :)

LTBasker
02-15-2010, 01:37 AM
So um... DST didn't show off any figures for Trek, but they did show off something very significant. And yes, I admit, I squealed like a little girl when I saw it.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image26.asp
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image31.asp
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image28.asp

There's also the Ent-B, which doesn't look like it's simply the model kit prototype they had on display so long ago. Most notably due to the clear plastic warp field grilles on the nacelles.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image25.asp

And there's a Klingon disruptor.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image18.asp

Darth Windu
02-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Ooh the Ent-B looks purdy. :)

The BoP looks nice too, and folding down landing gear - very nice - but it just doesn't float my boat. Even if it was super-detailed and $10 I still wouldn't buy it because it's just not my thing.

Now if they ever decide to do a DS9 Defiant...

Blue2th
02-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Can't wait to get both of them. :thumbsup:

Surely the wings move also on the BOP.

Where's the Excelsior though?

NightCastle
02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I love how each picture (except for the closeup of the BoP) has a card with a line through the camera. Whoever took the pictures was either very sly or had permission.

Cool ships. Maybe I missed it, but what scale are these?

JediTricks
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Trekkies look for things. Trekkies are smart. :D

Agreed, there's an enormous amount of stuff in the Trek Universe that no one will ever, ever agree upon and will debate until the end of Time. This is why Trek is slightly higher on the Nerd Scale than SW. Still, interesting that we're on the same page.

Same here... besides, there's loads of great free wallpapers you can make for yourself from Drex's high-rez SOTL jpegs! Bless. :)Wait, we're Pakleds? :p

True enough, though my phone's screen is high-res enough that it needs higher-quality, larger images.

So um... DST didn't show off any figures for Trek, but they did show off something very significant. And yes, I admit, I squealed like a little girl when I saw it.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image26.asp
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image31.asp
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image28.asp

There's also the Ent-B, which doesn't look like it's simply the model kit prototype they had on display so long ago. Most notably due to the clear plastic warp field grilles on the nacelles.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image25.asp

And there's a Klingon disruptor.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image18.aspGeez, I just audibly yelped when I saw that KBOP. It looks tremendous. 2011 though. :( Steve has the shot that says it: http://photos.actionfigs.com/g4914-star-trek.html

I love how each picture (except for the closeup of the BoP) has a card with a line through the camera. Whoever took the pictures was either very sly or had permission.

Cool ships. Maybe I missed it, but what scale are these?Steve (he also runs this site) also took pics that I just linked to, and he doesn't do that unless he has permission. They let us shoot some stuff like that at Comic-Con last year, too.

sergiurusu
02-16-2010, 03:54 AM
I like the BOP, one of my favorite ships in ST!:thumbsup:

Darth Duranium
02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the links LT!
That KBoP is stunning... the landing gear is fantastic and the paint looks uber-crisp. I assume that both of them are 12" AA sized (boo!), or are they smaller? Anybody know?
The Enterprise B is very nice, too. Always reminds me that it's fun to blow Shatner out into space... wish he'd stay there.:D

Wait, we're Pakleds? :p

True enough, though my phone's screen is high-res enough that it needs higher-quality, larger images.

After reading some posts on the official Trek forum, Pakled just about sums it up. :D Nah, Trekkies tend to be fairly clever and imaginative folks, really. I so enjoy tracking and hunting them on my game preserve. :ninja:

The pics at Drexfiles are usually much higher rez... 1600 X 1000 pixels etc. The one I rearranged and attached to the post got shrunk by SSG. What rez does your phone need? 800 pixels is too low rez? Surprising.

Darth Duranium
03-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Small reference shot of the chewed-up Kelvin here, from the Art of Star trek book:

Darth Duranium
04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
From Cooltoyreview:

Very Big Enterprise

After the success of the Big Millennium Falcon and the anticipated success of the Big AT-AT and Big Slave I, Hasbro is boldly going where no toy company has gone before with the Very Big Enterprise. This vehicle will have 'Tight Lock' removable panels to reveal four unique play arenas within the vehicle's imposing 3 1/2' frame. The play arenas include the bridge, the shuttle hanger, the transporter room, and engineering. If that weren't enough, the VBE will also feature sounds from the movie and a Galileo shuttle that fits four 3 3/4" figures.

The SRP is roughly $150.

JediTricks
04-13-2010, 05:41 PM
That is from an April Fools gag.

Darth Duranium
04-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Crap... Yeah, I saw the date, but I would have thought they'd have posted the punchline by now, if that were the case.

Crap. :cry:

JediTricks
04-13-2010, 11:25 PM
This is exactly why I hate April first on the internet. It never goes away.

Darth Duranium
04-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Doug Drexler just updated his blog again... as always, some really cool Trek stuff in there including Roddenberry and his B-17.

Not too sure about the new Romulan "supership"... maybe a little too radical for my tastes. Interesting, though.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/

I'm jonesing for new Trek and BSG stories. TV sucks without 'em!
Dancing With The Stars ain't much of a substitute.

LTBasker
04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
The Romulan ship's concept is cool, but since it looks 90% recycled from the D'Deridex it just can't look right because you just think the picture needs a 90 degree flip.

Darth Windu
04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Wow, liking that Ent refit more and more. A great pity it was never seen on-screen, even for the last episode.

As for the Romulan ship, it's just a D'deridex flipped, as Basker said. That's how the D'deridex was supposed to be originally, until the design was changed.

JediTricks
04-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm glad they never did the D'Deridex that way, it just seems so awkward for Trek, too narrow and hollow-looking, weak and alien. It's not a bad design exactly, and it has eyes, but it just doesn't seem in the least bit menacing, even if it is way larger than the Ent-D.

I'm still so glad they never 1701'ed the NX-class, that would have been too much of a blatant ripoff. 80 years earlier, we made the same ship. And we could churn out 75% more mass and slap it onto our ships in the course of 3 months!

JediTricks
06-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Well, thanks to a small earthquake recently, I've discovered that the Ent-D's stand as totally failed and the ship was being held in place by positioning against something else (and the ship was nose-down after the quake dislodged it). The ball jointed stand has totally lost the friction it needed to keep the ship upright. I am so sick of this crap with these cup-and-ball stands, first on the TOS Enterprise, and now this. The design absolutely sucks and needs to be cast out.

Darth Duranium
06-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Bummer, JT. Earthquake damage is one of those factors most of us don't have to contend with. Earthquakes or snowbanks... some choice!

Usually it's me that pulls a Godzilla and damages my stuff, without help from Mother Nature.

I have a JL Ent D that wants to fall over frontwards due to a badly fitting joint/socket combo... I need to glue it one of these days. I agree with your "cast out" sentiment whole-heartedly.
Will glue or putty put on the ball work with yours, or is the stand beyond that?

JediTricks
06-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Thankfully it's not damaged, the ship was still on the stand, it was just totally nose-down on the stand from the ball-joint failing. It really sucks, the in-ship alternate hull pieces haven't failed at all on the TMP Ent or the Ent-E, but the outer-cup versions have failed on both of the ones I have.

The weight of the Ent-D is so much that I can't trust the joint even with modification. For now, I've got the warp nacelle trapped under something, but that solution will stress the pylon, so it's not permanent.