PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Ships

Pages : [1] 2

Blue2th
03-10-2009, 10:40 PM
A pic of the new Hot Wheels packaging for their 1:50 scale Star Trek ships: http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/dcastalley_2044_19359809

Jayspawn
03-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Cool!

I'm looking forward to Diamond's Enterprise D hitting soon.

JediTricks
03-11-2009, 01:00 AM
That doesn't look so bad, but I'm guessing it's fairly small based on the ridges inside the tray.

Darth Duranium
03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the pic, Blue... I'm still liking the ship design and its karaoke microphone engines. I'm guessing these'll be Furuta-sized... a wee bit bigger than JL. Paint looks good to me...

Darth Duranium
03-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Found a few higher rez pics of the new HW ships:

Looks like they're doing some repaints, too... I've seen a "battle-damaged" 1701A and BOP, and the USS Saratoga's listed.

Darth Duranium
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
A few other Trek ship products... check out the "Romulan Narada" ship! WTF!?!?!

Looks like a peacock got caught in a mulching lawn mower!

LTBasker
03-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Found a few higher rez pics of the new HW ships:

Looks like they're doing some repaints, too... I've seen a "battle-damaged" 1701A and BOP, and the USS Saratoga's listed.

Hmm, I wonder which Saratoga. There's the Saratoga in TVH that is a Miranda-class with the "roll-bar" (as people tend to call it) like the Reliant, and then there's Sisko's Saratoga that had no bar.

I have to say, I'm liking the look of the ships as well as the stands. Granted, for a thin ship the stands look a bit overbearing and ugly, but they look like they'll be just as sturdy several decades later as they were fresh out of the package. I'm just going to hold off excitement until we get ships some unique ships instead of the same old stuff.

Plus, I'm a bit ticked that it's yet another Klingon Bird of Prey that can't raise it's bloody wings. Did Galoob find the ONLY person that ever thought of including this feature? Granted, it was on their second go at a K-BoP, but it's such an entertaining feature that it really should have been standard after that.

JediTricks
03-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the pics. Kinda standard toyetics on the HW pieces, sculpt and deco, but not shabby (unless they're over $6). The stands are way too big, that's so true.

Peacock caught in a mulcher, great way to look at it. Seems like another extension of the Nemesis aesthetic - crappy.

Darth Duranium
03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
This looks kewl but the starting bid's $350 on eBay.... puh-leeze.

Galoob Star Trek "FERENGI" Battleship Prototype. Size is 6 inches long. This prototype was shown at the New York Toy Fair in 1989 and was also pictured in the 1989 Galoob Catalog. Toy Fair showroom photos can be provided upon request to authenticate this prototype. There is a minor damage to one decal, as shown in one of the photos, otherwise this beauty is in excellent condition. This is a rare item. A SIMILAR PIECE WAS PREVIOUSLY SOLD IN 1998 for $749. The Blister Card shown in the photo is INCLUDED in this auction. The Blister Card is a first-run print and the rear of the card is blank. This prototype is hand-made of cold cast resin using rubber molds, and hand-painted in fine detail. Prototypes are fragile and should be handled with care. The decals (if any) are extremely delicate. Some decals (INTs) are made of wax base and can easily be rubbed off. Prototypes should NOT be handled with dirty, wet or hot hands. Great collector's item

Looks like a legit and nicely done Marauder to me... nicer than Furuta's... shame it never made it to production. Didn't realise it was an "enemy starship" 'til now... quake with fear, puny earthlings.

It's just not in my operating budget for this month... whoever paid $749 is gonna be so ****ed...;)

JediTricks
03-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Interesting find. It's a very good sculpt, but VERY handmade even in the tight lines. I actually remember seeing it in the catalog, but the small shot made it look less... um, bad. :p The price isn't unreasonable, I guess, but no way I'd be spending anything approaching that price for it. And it's SO easy to fake.

Darth Duranium
03-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Apparently, the USS Kelvin's in the next Trek flick... here's a few fan-made pics based on the photo they've shown.

Amazing work... the fan's a pro, obviously.

I'm liking the ship design, too. Very interesting... and only once nacelle... Roddenberry's spinning in his grave!

Blue2th
03-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm liking that ship too. Odd but still very Trek-like.
USS Kelvin, or Kelvinator for long. lol

JediTricks
03-25-2009, 02:41 AM
I smell disappointed fanboys in our future when the movie version doesn't look like that.

Blue2th
03-28-2009, 11:35 AM
More pics and packaging of the new Playmates Enterprise: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=Playmates%2F2009_Star_Trek%2FEnterprise&dispsize=600&start=0

Darth Duranium
03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I smell disappointed fanboys in our future when the movie version doesn't look like that.

The frosty Kelvinator's in the new trailer... but it looks like it's getting fried up by a mulched peacock so it's hard to tell.:)

Y'know, that last sentence is quite surreal.... the amazing thing is that you'll know what I mean!

Regardless, the fan's work is pretty impressive, IMO... there's a lot of creativity (and spare time) in fanboy land.

Thanks for the pics, Blue... but I can't say that the Playmates Enterprise looks very good to me... should have a lot more detail for a ship that size. Looks like a JL without aztec-ing! I am looking forward to Hallmark's (next year?)... and then there's Mattel's...

Blue2th
03-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, the Karaoke Cruiser Enterprise has no weathering, aztecing, or anything beyond panels. Where have we seen that lately (Star Wars) Maybe they'll do an exclusive BD one down the road.
She's a blue light special too, not a red light one that I can see.

I'll be getting the small Hot Wheels one first probably.
The shape is slowly growing on me. The engines too on the front nacelles remind me of headlights on a 50's automobile (as well as karaoke mics:))

JediTricks
04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
More pics and packaging of the new Playmates Enterprise: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=Playmates%2F2009_Star_Trek%2FEnterprise&dispsize=600&start=0

Thanks for the pics, Blue... but I can't say that the Playmates Enterprise looks very good to me... should have a lot more detail for a ship that size. Looks like a JL without aztec-ing! I am looking forward to Hallmark's (next year?)... and then there's Mattel's...I have to agree, this looks like Playmates picked back up where they left off in overly-thick plastics, cheap light gimmicks, and painfully simplified decos. Maybe it'll need to have ill-fitting clear stickers applied as well.

Jayspawn
04-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I'll probably get the Playmates Enterprise. It'll depend on how it actually looks in person.

In the meantime, is the Enterprise D here yet?

mabudonicus
04-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Cool lookin toys yeah- I think the stands probably look worse with the white background, with a black or at least more neutral BG they'll probably "quiet down" a bunch
:beard: Iso&Baws
Better than them little rubber ones

JediTricks
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
2 more months on the Ent-D. :(

Darth Duranium
04-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Looks like Mattel's messing around with the stands on the HW Trek ships... I like the black ones but they look a little squat.

clone157
04-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Has anyone figured out the msrp on these yet? ET is saying $14, but I'm wondering if these are going to get the retail push that the Batmobile stuff did last year.

Darth Duranium
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
The first 4 Hot Wheels ships are now turning up on eBay for about $15 each... apparently, they're all between 5 and 6" long, 3" wide.

In an utterly stunning act of corporate lunacy, the first wave completely bypasses the hype machine generated to advertise the new flick. Instead, Mattel's regurgitated:

1 U.S.S RELIANT NCC-1864

1 U.S.S ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-D

2 U.S.S ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-A

Collectors will be thrilled to finally have these ships in their collections.... for the 130,000th time. Woo-hoo! I mean seriously, these guys didn't investigate Corgi's Trek debacle? Erm, duh.

Why wouldn't the "new" Karaoke Cruiser Enterprise be in the first wave? It might've actually generated some buzz and who knows, maybe some ongoing sales for the line from new fans. That's the only one that I'll likely buy from this set... though I might grab a Saratoga, too.

Rollbar or not, I'm thinkin' these'll be face-planting into the bargain bin very soon... inertial dampers are off-line.

LTBasker
04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I'll be really surprised if they sell well. Not only do they not really offer anything different from the hundred or so other incarnations, but the dark and bland packaging simply focuses your attention to the ship, which you can't see much of.

Blue2th
04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
The first 4 Hot Wheels ships are now turning up on eBay for about $15 each... apparently, they're all between 5 and 6" long, 3" wide.

In an utterly stunning act of corporate lunacy, the first wave completely bypasses the hype machine generated to advertise the new flick. Instead, Mattel's regurgitated:

1 U.S.S RELIANT NCC-1864

1 U.S.S ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-D

2 U.S.S ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-A

Collectors will be thrilled to finally have these ships in their collections.... for the 130,000th time. Woo-hoo! I mean seriously, these guys didn't investigate Corgi's Trek debacle? Erm, duh.

Why wouldn't the "new" Karaoke Cruiser Enterprise be in the first wave? It might've actually generated some buzz and who knows, maybe some ongoing sales for the line from new fans. That's the only one that I'll likely buy from this set... though I might grab a Saratoga, too.

Rollbar or not, I'm thinkin' these'll be face-planting into the bargain bin very soon... inertial dampers are off-line.
I kinda figured the new Enterprise was missing when I looked on ebay to see if anyone was selling it, but only saw these.
Plus someone was selling a case, but the new one was missing. :ermm:
Thats really the only one I want anyways.
The Hot Wheels guys can have those regurges.

JediTricks
04-17-2009, 05:49 PM
It's not foolish to put out stuff that a general audience will recognize first, but man, it's getting stale with these 3. Still, Trekkies like me will buy 'em because of love for the ship.

Darth Duranium
04-23-2009, 02:45 AM
It makes no sense to me why the new ship's not ready in time for the new movie... they'll spend millions promoting ST XI. I'd be firing someone, if I ran Mattel... seems dumb not to cash in.

Maybe Paramount didn't like it and it was sent back, or there's some production issue... could've been slathered in toxic lead paint by angry Chinese factory workers.:ninja:

sergiurusu
04-24-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm looking for the Enterprise NCC-1701D All Good Things :thumbsup:

JediTricks
04-24-2009, 02:17 PM
It makes no sense to me why the new ship's not ready in time for the new movie... they'll spend millions promoting ST XI. I'd be firing someone, if I ran Mattel... seems dumb not to cash in.

Maybe Paramount didn't like it and it was sent back, or there's some production issue... could've been slathered in toxic lead paint by angry Chinese factory workers.:ninja:
It's actually in wave 1.5, my guess is either they thought they could beat the street date by not releasing that ship in the initial cases, or there was a production delay on the piece.

RJarvis
04-25-2009, 11:00 AM
-note: most of this is a repost from elsewhere :-)

Has anyone figured out the msrp on these yet? ET is saying $14, but I'm wondering if these are going to get the retail push that the Batmobile stuff did last year.

clone157 - i found these (or at least three of them) last night at the super-wally-mart in Mesquite, TX...

can't really say i'm impressed except that they are HUGE!...i only picked up the ent-d and the reliant b/c they are $11.97 apiece (just checked my receipt to be sure since i posted on another area of the forum that i found them for $11.29...oops!.

for those interested, the only metal part on the reliant is the top of the main body of the ship. the bottom is all plastic as is the flying bridge and the nacelles...

the only metal part on the ent-d is the top of the engineering section...the nacelles, the "neck" and the saucer section are all plastic...but there is a bonus: the ent-d saucer section DOES separate from engineering...

detailing on the ent-d is pretty good...even on the metal part...detailing on the reliant is sorely lacking...comparatively speaking, the johnny lightning versions are much better, IMO, but overall, not bad for a freshman attempt...would really like to see an akira come out of this line...

the only other one that was there when i found them was the ent-a...and i wasn't impressed enough to get it...will probably pick up the ent from the new movie when/if i find it...

one last thing, for those who are hunting...because these are not likely to be hung on a peg, walmart is stocking them on the lower shelves underneath the new star trek figures...and they're very easy to overlook...i actually missed them twice...

the pics aren't great...all i have with me is my cell phone, so lo-res it is until i can get back home...will post some comparison pics when time allows...

cheers and happy hunting!

Ross

20106 20107 20108

LTBasker
04-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Picked up the Enterprise-D today. When I spotted them on the shelf I was shocked at the size, but closer inspection brougth disappointment, especially with the Non-A and Reliant. Every single one of the Non-As had ridiculous warping of the saucer, and both it and the Reliant seem void of any significant detail and paint. The packaging is better in person than in pics, although it boasts quite boldly that the ship is "DIE-CAST METAL," but you know it's a horrible exaggeration when you pick it up. Stupidly light. Shelf-wear will be something to really watch out for, the cardboard is thin and easily vulnerable to damage. Both Ent-D's I found had worn edges on the top of the front of box, and the one I opened is coming up apart from the glue already losing it's grip.

Fortunately, it's quite easy to open, but freeing the ship is not. You simply cut a piece of tape on the outer box and it's quite easy to slide the inner tray out, but from there on it's quite a headache. There is a single twist-tie on the Ent-D, but the way they secured it on the bottom makes you expect a bomb to explode if you start the wrong way. The best thing to do is just use toenail clippers. That's not the only thing securing it to the tray, though. The saucer is protected by a heat-sealed covering, and they slipped a barely noticeable thin plastic strip through that, overlapping all the way to the bottom of the tray. Cut that before attempting to remove the ship.

Finally, you're facing the heal-sealed covering, which is quite obnoxious because it also is holding on to the upper part of the neck, and has a very small gap between the heat-sealed edge and the saucer itself. Large scissors will be quite the burden here, but I still had a bit of difficulty even with small scissors. Then, you have to rip the plastic cradle for the ship off of the tray to get the stand loose. Overall not much enticement to buy more.

Eventually freed, you'll be able to truly notice how lacking the ship is in paint as you attempt to admire the detailing, but can't because it blends together. It doesn't even seem like they met bare minimum paint requirements. The stand fortunately compliments the ship well, with the arrowhead shape and then the arrowhead emblem in chrome on one side. I can see the ship eventually going floppy on the stand, however, as it's a simple ball joint.

Overall, I like it, but only because I'm extremely fond of the Enterprise-D. I will likely not be picking up the Reliant and Non-A unless they hit about $8 or so, as the Enterprise-D's (near-hidden) detailing makes it slightly easier to justify $13 (after tax). Still, I think the best display for the Ent-D is on a high shelf as it's big enough to look great from a distance. Truly a shame, as it really does have remarkable detailing, especially on the saucer. You just can't appreciate it, because if you do notice something then you're left wishing it was painted.

Nightside
04-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I was thrilled to find the D at Target today. She's my favorite Trek ship. Very disappointed with the lack of metal in the thing. I was really looking forward to an all-metal Enterprise. At least they got the sizes of shuttlebays 2 and 3 correct (unlike Corgi).

The stand fortunately compliments the ship well, with the arrowhead shape and then the arrowhead emblem in chrome on one side. I can see the ship eventually going floppy on the stand, however, as it's a simple ball joint.

So the stand actually does plug into the ship? I haven't had the guts to try as the white bit in the ship doesn't look big enough to admit the ball on the stand.

LTBasker
04-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Yup, shoves right into it.

Blue2th
04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I saw these today. I must say I am underwhelmed and dissapointed. Man, twice or more the size of the JL's or Furuta's. More like the size of the Corgi ships, though definitely not as detailed as the Corgi's or the smaller JL's and Furuta's. The Corgi D blows this HW one out of the water, though it's triple the price (the shuttle bays not withstanding and the green color and wrong color deflector dish of course)

All the Refits had warped saucers like was mentioned. No aztecing, very toy like. What do you expect from Hot Wheels though.
I'm going to pass for now, though if I see the new Enterprise I'll likely buy it 'cause it's a new design.

Looks like AA will be getting most of my money for ships of the line.

JediTricks
04-27-2009, 10:52 PM
So, I found these at Target, $13 a pop, the Ent-A (which has no A on the actual hull markings, smoooooth), Reliant, and Ent-D. They are a lot bigger than I thought, but yeah, the metal is pretty minimal, and the paint is just as simplistic. The sculpting is fair except for the Ent-A, where the neck is angled wrong and the underside of the saucer is a little fat. The use of molded copyright text is embarrassing, it's the 21st century, get over yourselves and find a better place, same with the painted item numbers on the ship. I think the biggest disappointment is the lacking paint, no azteking and the movie-era ships are bald white just like they were 25 years ago when Corgi did theirs. These do have a few painted and colored details, but could have easily had more.

I think these are meant for kids, and at the pricepoint they aren't a bad deal. But they are a bit of a letdown for collectors, and it's a real shame because they could have had something special here at the pricepoint, half of Corgi's most recent tries (though those had much better paint and were nearly all metal).

The Reliant is easily the best of the 3. It has the most metal, the sculpt is a little more detailed (although Mattel's cheap, gloppy white paint counters some of that) and it has more presence at this size. Also, the movie-era Starfleet logo on the side of the base works well with this ship (it is the wrong era for the one that comes with the Ent-D, and the Ent-A would be right but that ship has the neck problem).

So far, not entirely impressed.

sergiurusu
04-28-2009, 04:35 AM
Anyone has Diamond Select ST ships? What is their quality? The future Enterprise D from AGT episode I was talking about above seems to be Diamond Select Toys

BTW what is the difference between this (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10804&mode=retail) and this (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10098&mode=retail&picture=out)? Aren't these the same Enterprise E?

Blue2th
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Anyone has Diamond Select ST ships? What is their quality? The future Enterprise D from AGT episode I was talking about above seems to be Diamond Select Toys

BTW what is the difference between this (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10804&mode=retail) and this (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10098&mode=retail&picture=out)? Aren't these the same Enterprise E?
Those look like the same one. There are only two made. That one and a battle damaged one.
They may be Diamond Select, but are Art Asylum made.
Good quality for the money. I have both.

LTBasker
04-28-2009, 04:45 PM

The quality of ships from DST kinda varies, but overall they're pretty decent. They usually do great on build quality, but paint and packing things properly tends to be a bit off. It really looks like they're going all out on the Ent-D, though, so hopefully that won't have (m)any issues. The AGT Ent-D isn't up for preorder anywhere yet, I believe.

Whenever an item sells out from DST's supply and it's extremely popular (figures not included), they go back and make a new run. They do this with the classic Enterprise and the Ent-E so far, as well as Trek Tek items. That's why you often see separate listings for the same ship or the same phaser, stores often list them as a new item. Sometimes they do change, though, it's usually modifications to update the packaging.

JediTricks
04-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone has Diamond Select ST ships? What is their quality? The future Enterprise D from AGT episode I was talking about above seems to be Diamond Select ToysI have the NX-01, Ent-E, Ent-A (and non-A), and the TOS Ent. AA's releases were better work, better materials and paint specifically. Now that AA is working with DST, the paint is weaker, there's show-through in some of the plastics, and there's a lot of vocal selections in between the sound effects (you have to cycle through the effects, can't just choose the one you want). That said, they are still really nice sculpts (the TOS Ent is a good sculpt too but very simple) and some of the deco choices on DST's part have been interesting tradeoffs, like the pearly paint and the wash on the re-release of the Ent-A. Overall, I'd rank them very highly, if Playmates' efforts were a low "C" grade, then these are "A-" territory or higher if you can get them at a good price.

The AGT Ent-D looks really decent in all the pics I've seen so far. I'm probably going to pass for now and then consider buying it at Comic-Con.

BTW what is the difference between this (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10804&mode=retail) and this (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10098&mode=retail&picture=out)? Aren't these the same Enterprise E?DST is re-releasing the Ent-E, so the first link is reflecting that, hence the "upcoming" date. Rumor has it, and this is merely a rumor, that it will feature increased paint apps since the original is missing a few apps that were planned.

JediTricks
04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
So, I'm comparing the HW Ent-A and Reliant, and the Reliant is a slightly larger scale! What the hell is that? It's slight but definitely there, the warp engines are longer and wider apart than the Ent, and there's a scale difference on the saucer as well. Why bother starting a new scale if you're not going to stick with it? So very annoying.

sergiurusu
04-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Darth Windu
04-30-2009, 07:39 AM
DST is re-releasing the Ent-E, so the first link is reflecting that, hence the "upcoming" date. Rumor has it, and this is merely a rumor, that it will feature increased paint apps since the original is missing a few apps that were planned.
Yeah I noticed that on my Ent-E. The main missing details were no paint on the rear phaser strips, or on the warp nacelle struts (one side is painted and detailed, the other side is bare).

I just fixed these myself, so not worried about a re-release, but they should've done better.

sergiurusu
05-01-2009, 02:07 AM
I decided to order or pre-order: Enterprise D, future Enterprise D from "All Good Things" and Enterprise TOS HD. I'll get a Klingon Bird of Prey if they will ever make it. For Enterprise D I might use a Strike Force Klingon BOP for display.

JediTricks
05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I decided to order or pre-order: Enterprise D, future Enterprise D from "All Good Things" and Enterprise TOS HD. I'll get a Klingon Bird of Prey if they will ever make it. For Enterprise D I might use a Strike Force Klingon BOP for display.
I like that scale idea. The recent Corgi one would work too, as they were a little fluid on the size during the show. I have the Corgi one next to my Ent-A.

sergiurusu
05-02-2009, 05:11 AM
The Enterprise D is hopefully going to be released soon as well as the All Good Things future Enterprise D - I pre-ordered this one at Toy Palace since it is some kind of an exclusive. As for the HD TOS Enterprise I'll have to wait a bit longer (September)

Darth Duranium
05-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Hallmark Klingon TMP Battlecruiser

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product%7C10001%7C10051%7C940933%7C215589;221071;2 21110%7Cnull%7CP1R4SO%7Cstores

Nice.

Blue2th
05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Hallmark Klingon TMP Battlecruiser

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product%7C10001%7C10051%7C940933%7C215589;221071;2 21110%7Cnull%7CP1R4SO%7Cstores

Nice.

That is sweet! I did the zoom-in feature, and the details are quite good.

I'm not going to miss this one. I'm missing 2005's Enterprise A, so I gotta go back and get that. Prices are around $50.

JediTricks
05-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Dang, that is nice. I can't imagine the production version being as good. If it is, we need to convince Hallmark to release a set without the screw holes. :p

LTBasker
05-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I've never seen much variance from the prototype pictures to the production models, dunno if you've had a different experience. I'm confident it'll come out looking great.

The prices are getting painful, though.

pbarnard
05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
The only Star Trek Hallmark I own is the TOS Enterprise from 2006. My only complaint about it is the base requires 3 AAA batteries for it to light up. I'd rather have button cells in engineering section with an activator button around the bridge.

But as far as likeness goes, dead on. No complaints.

JediTricks
05-06-2009, 03:38 PM
I've never seen much variance from the prototype pictures to the production models, dunno if you've had a different experience. I'm confident it'll come out looking great.

The prices are getting painful, though.
I have no experience, but the fine details and fine paint on that seem unfathomable at anything less than 10 times that price.

Darth Duranium
05-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I think LT's got it right about the Hallmark Klingon... the final product is usually identical to the production shots. Or extremely close.

It was the Hallmark ships that got me into collecting small ships in the first place... I've got all of 'em except the 1991 Ent 1701 which has come down in price... I don't think I'll bother because the 2006 Ent is a better ship.

But damn, they've gotten so frickin' expensive...

LTBasker
05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
I have no experience, but the fine details and fine paint on that seem unfathomable at anything less than 10 times that price.

Trust me, these things turn out extremely close to the prototypes. I'll try to get some pics later.

If you want to see one before you buy it, Hallmark stores always have a wall set up that shows off all of the new Keepsake ornaments, so that not only can you check them out, but also try the electronic features. They don't get in pre-production display models in case you're curious, they simply open up production versions from the first shipment, so what you see if what you get. Of course, you have to wait until July since that's when they're released.

Blue2th
05-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Last Star Trek Hallmark I bought was the Vulcan Cruiser from Enterprise for next to nothing on ebay.

The diecast NX-01 with the stand wasn't too bad, though I would have preferred a fully detailed lights and sound plastic one instead.

I would have to say that's what got me started on small ships too. Though I skipped over the micromachines because they were too small.

I missed 1991 Enterprise also. They shot up in price a year or two right after the release. 2006 was fine for me. Don't need the other one just because it's rare.

figrin bran
05-10-2009, 02:37 AM
I got the HW Enterprise D today!

sergiurusu
05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Ok one more question for you guys. I love the Klingon Bird of Prey design. Please is there any company who made these, and I mean bigger than MicroMachines or Furuta or Titanium, I'm interested in a Klingon BOP at least Action Fleet size (Strike Force) or even bigger. Thanks

LTBasker
05-10-2009, 12:11 PM
The Corgi one should be about AF size, if not then Mattel's upcoming K-BoP should be. If you want a really big one, though, DST is rumored to be working on one.

Btw, earlier you were asking about the AGT Enterprise, and DST recently posted pics of the packaged pics for it. Looks good - I think they should have stuck with the Admiral Riker art, though. :D

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/05/all-good-thingsall-yours/

sergiurusu
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
The Corgi one should be about AF size, if not then Mattel's upcoming K-BoP should be. If you want a really big one, though, DST is rumored to be working on one.

Btw, earlier you were asking about the AGT Enterprise, and DST recently posted pics of the packaged pics for it. Looks good - I think they should have stuck with the Admiral Riker art, though. :D

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/05/all-good-thingsall-yours/

Thanks. I can't wait for both DST BOP and AGT Enterprise. I already have the AGT Enterprise on pre-order at Toy Palace as for the BOP hopefully they'll move fast since it is one of the coolest Star Trek ships.

Darth Duranium
05-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I haven't heard anyone mention this, but here's a link to "The Enterprise Project" on the official site (which is quite good)

http://www.startrekmovie.com/modelgallery/

I'd imagine that it's a charity project like the Darth Vader helmet project.

I'd have to say 12, 19, and 23 were my favourites. Most sucked, IMO. Especially the corporate ones... lame.

There's loads of stuff on the site including an "Experience The Enterprise" webapp here:

http://www.experience-the-enterprise.com/ww/

I don't have a webcam... has anybody checked it out?

sergiurusu
05-11-2009, 02:37 AM
I liked: 9, 19 and 24

JediTricks
05-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Ok one more question for you guys. I love the Klingon Bird of Prey design. Please is there any company who made these, and I mean bigger than MicroMachines or Furuta or Titanium, I'm interested in a Klingon BOP at least Action Fleet size (Strike Force) or even bigger. ThanksCorgi released one a year or so ago that had an excellent sculpt and superb paint. It's nearly all metal too, and comes with a nice, classy stand of the Klingon logo. There's also the Strike Force version itself, but its sculpt is only so-so and paint is pretty meh. The upcoming Mattel one will probably be almost as big as the Corgi, but certainly won't have as good of paint and won't use as much metal.

sergiurusu
05-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks JT, now I need to find a Corgi BOP! What store still has them in stock?

JediTricks
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Flying Mule is where I got mine:
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-CC96602

Darth Duranium
05-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Came across some screencaps of the Kelvin... thought it might be fun to talk about the new ships:

Darth Duranium
05-22-2009, 01:03 AM
And some more...

Nice work by ILM and the other companies involved.

I really hope we get a small-scale Kelvin, smaller than HW's.

It's quite an interesting ship.

Darth Duranium
05-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Came across a couple of pics:

Seems to be missing a lot of markings... must be a proto.

Blue2th
05-22-2009, 09:02 PM
The case is odd. Looks like the ship would be a little smaller than the current HW ships, or the case would be mighty big.

Special adult collector ship from HW collectors.com? They've been known to do that like with the Batmobile. I don't see that case as being necessary unless it was a gold plated bling bling Enterprise or something.

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 06:53 PM
I hated the guns on the Kelvin.

Is it my imagination, or does the registry number start with a 0? How silly is THAT???

Came across a couple of pics:

Seems to be missing a lot of markings... must be a proto.Wow, I don't get that at all, even for a Hot Wheels large-size exclusive it's kind of WTF world. And I love how the likely to be very expensive exclusive has sagging warp pylons in the second pic.

Maybe they'll flock it too.

Blue2th
05-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Saw a couple of Hot Wheels guys I knew today. Asked them what they thought of the new HW ships. First words were "too expensive" what do you expect from guys that are used to spending just 97 cents a car. :rolleyes:

clone157
05-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks JT, now I need to find a Corgi BOP! What store still has them in stock?

Dude, today I saw an unpainted version at Hastings here in Austin. Along with TOS enterprise.
$39.99

Darth Duranium
05-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Is it my imagination, or does the registry number start with a 0? How silly is THAT???

And I love how the likely to be very expensive exclusive has sagging warp pylons in the second pic.

They must have been thinking ahead by adding the 0. By the same logic, there should have been a NCC-01701.

I still haven't seen the HWs yet, but I'm not exactly unhappy about it... not too big on the craftsmanship, methinks.

JediTricks
05-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Dude, today I saw an unpainted version at Hastings here in Austin. Along with TOS enterprise.
$39.99Yeah, that's the special edition version KBOP, the base lights up blue (originally it was supposed to have sounds too, but Corgi cut that).

The TOS Enterprise is ok, but not as good as the KBOP, it's not as accurate as it could be (the upper saucer specifically) and doesn't have enough sculpted details. It's good but not great. The KBOP is greatness, and one of the only items out there that actually looks better dusty. :D

I think Corgi had a "price per size" idea in mind, $30 is around what they wanted for the TOS Ent and Ent-D, I think a bit less for the KBOP because it takes up less of the tube.

They must have been thinking ahead by adding the 0. By the same logic, there should have been a NCC-01701.That made me laugh! lol

I still haven't seen the HWs yet, but I'm not exactly unhappy about it... not too big on the craftsmanship, methinks.If they put 15% more care into the line, I think it'd be a good line. But the simplistic paint and haphazard manufacturing and little sculpting issues and disregard for scale drag it down to mediocrity. I bet their new movie Ent will be better than Playmates' though.

Darth Duranium
05-25-2009, 04:26 PM
If they put 15% more care into the line, I think it'd be a good line. But the simplistic paint and haphazard manufacturing and little sculpting issues and disregard for scale drag it down to mediocrity. I bet their new movie Ent will be better than Playmates' though.

Folks have been complaining that the HW saucer sections are warped, too. Not good, considering their size...

I'll end up having to buy the HWs if that's going to be the only option for a smaller new Ent, Kelvin, Narada etc.... but I'll do so reluctantly.

I sent an email to Johnny Lightning to ask if they're officially done with Trek.

Blue2th
05-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I will buy the new ships too, if it's the only chance of getting them. They'll look ok next to the Corgi's which they are close in scale.

Nemo's ship might be difficult to sculpt. The Romulan Predator ship from Nemesis is complicated enough, and this one even more so.

Hope JL responds in a yes.

Darth Duranium
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
No word from JL but I'd be ok with them making more new ships.

The HW's are quite underwhelming, IMO....

Spectre o'the Phaser
05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Very cool ships—the design is growing on me: http://www.startrekmovie.com/modelgallery/ (One some of these the nacelles look mighty tired?)

Have you guys heard of the virtual series:

Star Trek (Reborn) is a re-imagining of TOS; a "virtual internet series" created and written by Jeremy Grunloh in 2005. Familiar figures, themes and situations from the original Star Trek are re-envisioned in a more character-driven and edgier fashion than that of previous Trek incarnations. The otherwise text-based material is framed by various multimedia like Gabriel Koerner's reimagined NCC-1701 (http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/NCC-1701), as well as other conceptual artwork, virtual actors, essays and an especially active discussion forum. Each season will consist of 13 episodes, with a script for the viewer to download.

Anyway, here's the pretty nifty ship design by Koerner:

JediTricks
05-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Folks have been complaining that the HW saucer sections are warped, too. Not good, considering their size...I have seen that claim, but I'd need to see a photo of a true example. The Refit saucer is held in a clear plastic tray that looks like it's warping the sides, but really isn't. It could be that, or people could be referring to the inaccurate angle on the neck, but that's not warped, that's sadly by design.

I'll end up having to buy the HWs if that's going to be the only option for a smaller new Ent, Kelvin, Narada etc.... but I'll do so reluctantly.I wonder if the line will make it to those other ones, it's not moving well here.

Have you guys heard of the virtual series:

Star Trek (Reborn) is a re-imagining of TOS; a "virtual internet series" created and written by Jeremy Grunloh in 2005. Familiar figures, themes and situations from the original Star Trek are re-envisioned in a more character-driven and edgier fashion than that of previous Trek incarnations. The otherwise text-based material is framed by various multimedia like Gabriel Koerner's reimagined NCC-1701 (http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/NCC-1701), as well as other conceptual artwork, virtual actors, essays and an especially active discussion forum. Each season will consist of 13 episodes, with a script for the viewer to download.

Anyway, here's the pretty nifty ship design by Koerner:I had heard about it, but only vaguely. I got more caught up in ST: New Voyages.

That design is quite an unusual, not my cup of tea at first look.

Spectre o'the Phaser
05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I'll end up having to buy the HWs if that's going to be the only option for a smaller new Ent, Kelvin, Narada etc....

Nice 360 view of the Kelvin: http://boldlygo.intel.com/content/index.html
Haven't been able to determine what class starship it is.

It'll be very interesting to see how the Narada turns out [wince]. I don't see HW attempting it....

And I don't get how Mattel (and JL, too) can get away with stating a scale like 1:50 or 1:64?

JediTricks
05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
They use scale as a pricepoint, the box is their 1:50th scale box for cars (which are also never in accurate scale). HW sucks at scale.

Spectre o'the Phaser
05-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Interesting site regarding the "real-life" size of the new Ent., with schematics addressing the size question: |New Enterprise Schematics (http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/new-enterprise.php)|

Notice the "sagging" effect of the nacelles on some models, whereas the schematics correctly show it not looking that way. There's quite a variance, especially when the models are seen in numbers as in the movie website: http://www.startrekmovie.com/modelgallery/

Q: What is the true size of the new Enterprise? The trekkie world may never agree...

But consider this: In the movie when the shuttles with the cadets arrive at the ship you can see how a dozen shuttles are stacked in two rows on each side of the shuttlebay. Since the new shuttles are more than 10m long, this shuttlebay must be at least 40m across, requiring an overall length of the Enterprise of more than 700m.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Darth Duranium
05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Darth Titanium:

Could you please confirm whether or not Johnny Lightning has stopped producing Star Trek ships after the current release? Will there be more?

CustomerService@JohnnyLightning.com:

Thank you for your inquiry, we have no plans to release any more ships at this time.

So, it's now official. Time for Blue to celebrate.;)

I just hope that the gashapon/candy toy makers in Japan keep rolling along... otherwise, all we'll have are Burger King toys :mad:

Blue2th
05-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Bummer dude! :sad: Had a feeling they would say that with the 900 lb. gorilla Hot Wheels doing the sucky ones now. Thanks for the ask! :thumbsup:

Going to have to ride this drought out. Go gashapon go!
If I stop buying toys for the most part, I will always have a soft spot for the Japanese candy ships.

Darth Duranium
05-29-2009, 12:33 AM
If I stop buying toys for the most part, I will always have a soft spot for the Japanese candy ships.

Me, too... I think the only JCT I'm missing from Trek is the F-Toys "evil" NX-01 (got the JL evil and the reg F-Toys ones so I'll probably pass).

I haven't bought very many SW candy toy ships... just got 4 Tomy and F-Toy SW ships combined. But BSG and Alien are another story...

There's been an explosion in the number of figures available for every franchise out there... but small ships seem to be getting scarce.

BTW, have you guys seen the QMX new "Studio Model" Enterprise? It's 34 inches of unreasonably expensive coolness. Their Cylon Raider was almost $1000 so who knows what this'll go for.

http://www.quantummechanix.com/Star_Trek.html

Nice...

LTBasker
05-29-2009, 01:03 AM
At this point, I'm a bit confused as to which Trek thread to post in, but this seems the most logical one. Especially for this little gem.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MAT11682&mode=retail&picture=in

Mattel has finally gained some sort of miraculous sense, some inkling of insight, some minuscule microbe of a decent thought and given the K-BoP and/or HMS Bounty version pivoting wings. At this point, I don't care if the freaking thing doesn't have any paint at all. I just want to play with those wings! Of course, because it would be absolutely stupid (well, I suppose proper in their case) to makes 2 molds of K-BoPs just because of the wings, I'm expecting the only difference between the two K-BoPs will be "HMS Bounty" text on it. I mainly bring that bit up because someone on TrekToy reported finding the K-BoP, but made no mention of the spectacular sight of raised wings.

Of course, they look a might dorky being that high up, but I'm holding onto some sliver of hope that I found hidden behind my pitifully small DCUC collection that they will be adjustable. Granted, that small, puny bit of hope is near death, but it's still holding on, the courageous... Yeah, I'm skipping anymore of that.

The downside is that since this is Mattel, the one great thing in this line will most likely be the most impossible to find.

Spectre o'the Phaser
05-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, I was curious to see if I could find a small scale Space Shuttle Enterprise and I came across this for only $1.2 million: http://spacetoys.com/proddetail.php?prod=spaceshuttleorbiter&cat=12

Blue2th
05-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Preview of the sound effects on the Art Asylum Enterprise D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmGeo8wf1p4

sergiurusu
05-31-2009, 02:27 AM
Cool!! Can't wait to get mine:thumbsup:

Spectre o'the Phaser
05-31-2009, 02:30 AM
I've just discovered the Art Asylum line, http://diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp?p=category.asp%3FCategoryID%3D335, that look really amazing in pics. (Probably only the prototypes are pictured?) I assume they are not to scale amongst each other, since the Ents. D & E would so dwarf the TOS ships, for example. Too bad.

But you'd need lots o' space/shelving/storage for a collection of these. Plus, they ain't cheap!

clone157
05-31-2009, 09:05 PM
At this point, I'm a bit confused as to which Trek thread to post in, but this seems the most logical one. Especially for this little gem.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MAT11682&mode=retail&picture=in

Mattel has finally gained some sort of miraculous sense, some inkling of insight, some minuscule microbe of a decent thought and given the K-BoP and/or HMS Bounty version pivoting wings. At this point, I don't care if the freaking thing doesn't have any paint at all. I just want to play with those wings! Of course, because it would be absolutely stupid (well, I suppose proper in their case) to makes 2 molds of K-BoPs just because of the wings, I'm expecting the only difference between the two K-BoPs will be "HMS Bounty" text on it. I mainly bring that bit up because someone on TrekToy reported finding the K-BoP, but made no mention of the spectacular sight of raised wings.

Of course, they look a might dorky being that high up, but I'm holding onto some sliver of hope that I found hidden behind my pitifully small DCUC collection that they will be adjustable. Granted, that small, puny bit of hope is near death, but it's still holding on, the courageous... Yeah, I'm skipping anymore of that.

The downside is that since this is Mattel, the one great thing in this line will most likely be the most impossible to find.

I just found one at Target, I can't bring myself to open it yet. I just dont want to know if it sucks, cause it looks so cool in package.

Darth Duranium
06-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Well, at least you know the wings move! The production shots show the wings down, but they're up in the package.

Confidence is high... go back to Defcon 2, dude.:D

Now, the question is: will the wings stay in the up position?

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
http://current.com/items/90029658_death-star-destroys-enterprise.htm

LTBasker
06-02-2009, 03:12 PM
The latest DST Trek Q&A was posted, nothing really interesting got covered (pretty much a thousand questions about the Ent-D, and most were the same), but it seems that the confirmed upcoming Klingon ship is definitely a K-BoP.

I don’t think we’re far enough along to even think about how we’re going to approach the multiple wing positions.

Also, the AGT Enterprise-D is in stock at AFX.

Darth Windu
06-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Yeah I noticed that too - completely uninterested in the Ent-D; AGT Ent-D; or a Klingon BoP. All I'm actually interested in is a Defiant (and I mean a proper one, not Johnny Lightnings cruel version) and possibly a Voyager.

Kinda baffles me that they're constantly skipping the items that go for the highest prices on eBay (and therefore you'd think being the most in demand) in favour or even more niche ships, but meh.

Tycho
06-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Darth Windu, you're my hero!

The USS Defiant is the coolest ship in all of Star Trek and I am also interested in Captain Janeway's Voyager.

However, I'd buy a lot of alien species ships if they make them including the BOP.

LTBasker
06-06-2009, 12:31 AM
A member of TrekToy just posted pics of their newly received AGT Ent-D; looks like good stuff!

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/erikduncan/CIMG1736.jpg
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/erikduncan/CIMG1737.jpg
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/erikduncan/CIMG1738.jpg

Btw, the Enterprise-D is complete with "lights-on" feature as the classic Enterprises had, as well as two stands (so both vessels can be displayed after saucer-sep); the smaller stand can be stored inside the primary one. The Enterprise-D also has two stand holes in the engineering section in order to address the changed center of mass when the saucer is taken off. As well, I believe that instead of a play cover it has plugs that you can shove into the holes.

Darth Windu
06-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Wow she looks quite a bit bigger than the Ent-E which is a bit surprising, look good but still won't be buying it.

sergiurusu
06-07-2009, 02:58 AM
A member of TrekToy just posted pics of their newly received AGT Ent-D; looks like good stuff!

Btw, the Enterprise-D is complete with "lights-on" feature as the classic Enterprises had, as well as two stands (so both vessels can be displayed after saucer-sep); the smaller stand can be stored inside the primary one. The Enterprise-D also has two stand holes in the engineering section in order to address the changed center of mass when the saucer is taken off. As well, I believe that instead of a play cover it has plugs that you can shove into the holes.

I like the All Good Things Enterprise-D I have it on pre-order too. :thumbsup: As for Enterprise-E I never liked it, looks like a fruit tart with all those rainbow colors on it...

Jayspawn
06-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Surprising that the AGT Enterprise D is out before the regular one. Passing on the ADT D but I'll get the standard one. Looks great from the pics though.

Blue2th
06-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Yeah I want the standard one first. Finally a really nice D model. Can't wait to get one.

Darth Duranium
06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Wow she looks quite a bit bigger than the Ent-E which is a bit surprising, look good but still won't be buying it.

Agreed on all points. Most are quite nice but they're all too big, unless we move into an airship hangar. If I end up with a few extra acres for my collection, I'll grab 'em.:D

I've got the Bandai 1701-A (is that it in the pics?) and the NX-01 (which I recognize in the pics) in a box somewhere. Both were prezzies.

Is that the new Playmates Ent? Maybe someone can identify all the ships in the pics for me.

Blue2th
06-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Those Bandai's are nice DT. You should put one together. Have you seen the prices of those? :shocked: Particularly the E and Voyager models. Super details though that put everything to shame, not to mention the lights.

I figure yeah the AA ships are big but you can always hang them up with fishline from the ceiling. Maybe put an airship up there too, or would that go over like a lead zeppelin with the Mrs? lol

I always thought it would be cool to hang a Battle Damaged NX-01 up there and buy a bunch of tiny Stukas to create that scene from Enterprise when they went back in time to an altered Earth.

BTW: I saw a Hot Wheels Bird of Prey today at TRU. While I liked the folding wings, the paint suffers just like the other models. I don't know I'm still debating whether to buy one.

Darth Duranium
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Those Bandai's are nice DT. You should put one together.

I did put the 1701-A together... I was surprised at how many pieces there were! I've got to say that I didn't think it had much more detailing on it than some of the smaller ones, but it is quite impressive. I'm not so big on my AA NX-01 which is less detailed than the F-Toys one, IMO.

I think the Old-Ball-And-Chain/Better-Half would be ok with more ships, so long as they're relegated to one of my Zones in the house... not the diningroom.:whip:

I'm finding that I get the same enjoyment (maybe more) from the small ships as I do the larger ships. I'm seriously debating selling my AF-sized ships (from all genres) and also getting rid of my other larger scales. Hmmmm.

Good idea! Now, all you need are phaser cannons for an Nazi-American Stuka divebomber...:D

Blue2th
06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I'm amazed when I look at close ups of F-Toys NX-01.

I found a 1/144 Stuka with tank buster cannons that might suffice attacking the NX with a little paint on the barrels could do the phase cannons: http://www.echobasetoys.com/Dragon_Pics/Dragon_Cando_Pics/Stuka/20054-e.jpg

I enjoy the small ships much more than the big ones myself, and a lot more than figures.
Were lucky the Japanese like small things. Maybe it's because their apartments are so small.
I might unload some Action Fleet myself, but keep my rare Episode 1 Alpha stuff, TIE Defender, E-Wing.

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I think the Old-Ball-And-Chain/Better-Half would be ok with more ships, so long as they're relegated to one of my Zones in the house... not the diningroom.:whip:

Hah, you too, eh?! :thumbsup:

My space is limited to a 31" wide x about 7' tall x 12" deep IKEA bookshelf (at least it has glass doors) in the study or "computer room." My wife gets the rest of the 3-bedroom abode. I have a very limited collection of 1/6 military figs. in there that take up a couple of shelves, but, alas, no room to expand. This is one reason I like the small scale ST ships that I've just discovered; they're quality enough to satisfy the adult collector in me and I can hoard a bunch of 'em relatively inexpensively. I can't allow myself to go to the Art Asylum size—maybe just one TOS Enterprise for old times sake...will see.

I'm finding that I get the same enjoyment (maybe more) from the small ships as I do the larger ships.

:yes: Indeed! There's definitely something about the small scale ships... almost like you can wrap your eyes around them better or something... can't explain it more than that (although, I must admit that a certain amount of the small detail does get lost some by the time it gets done refracting around in my 50-year-old retinas).

Darth Duranium
06-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I've just got my 5'w X 6'h X 5.5" deep shelving unit going right now... almost everything else is in boxes from our last move... to the 'burbs.

I think the key to collecting stuff is to keep it under tight control... otherwise it ends up owning you. Some folks get completely out of hand...

I think Blue and Sergiu collect military stuff, too. I'm a huge history buff, so I can really appreciate some of the stuff that people collect in this vein... especially planes... but I don't go there myself. I'm afraid to. I was eyeballing a stunning diecast B-29 Superfortress the other day, though... just amazing (drool).

Furuta also makes a set of Space candy toys but I haven't gotten them... I do collect Capsules, Space Shuttles, Probes, and other "real" spaceships, but I don't really have that many. Does the Corgi shuttle from Moonraker count as real?:D
Actually, I've always wanted the enigmatic Russian Buran Shuttle as a toy... it'd be fun to put alongside the US ones.

Blue, I've never collected figures (but somehow, I've amassed a few) because it felt to me like I'd be playing with dolls, which I gave up doing in grade school. These little ships are nothing like Dinky Cars, are they?????:D

Darth Windu
06-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I think Blue and Sergiu collect military stuff, too. I'm a huge history buff, so I can really appreciate some of the stuff that people collect in this vein... especially planes... but I don't go there myself. I'm afraid to. I was eyeballing a stunning diecast B-29 Superfortress the other day, though... just amazing (drool).
I'm a big fan of the military stuff too, my series of choice is the Corgi Showcase/Corgi Collection die-cast aircraft & vehicles. Verry nice :)

Blue2th
06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah I like it too DW. Got lots of 1:18 Ultimate Soldier stuff, but again it's just too big to display some of it. Forget about the 1:6 scale GI Joes and the Ultimate Soldier 1:6 vehicles.

21st Ultimate Soldier went out of business so I might unload all of it, cause the secondary mkt. prices are rediculous now. A $40 Airplane I bought at Walmart can go for $200 to $300+ now.
Like DT said the collection controls you..I can relate.

I like the Corgi 1:72 stuff. That's about the biggest scale you can get a four engine bomber.

No Dinky cars there DT, though I got plenty of the 1:72 Target Matchbox warplanes that were made by Dinky.
I think Hasbro lured us into playing with 12" Dolls by calling them "action figures." :Ponder:

F-Toys makes some nice 1:144 airplane collections as well as the ST ships. I haven't bought any but the pics look good.

JediTricks
06-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Notice the "sagging" effect of the nacelles on some models, whereas the schematics correctly show it not looking that way. There's quite a variance, especially when the models are seen in numbers as in the movie website: http://www.startrekmovie.com/modelgallery/I have been noticing that, it's been bugging me, but the nacelles are so much larger than they used to be that I'm not surprised.

Q: What is the true size of the new Enterprise? The trekkie world may never agree...

But consider this: In the movie when the shuttles with the cadets arrive at the ship you can see how a dozen shuttles are stacked in two rows on each side of the shuttlebay. Since the new shuttles are more than 10m long, this shuttlebay must be at least 40m across, requiring an overall length of the Enterprise of more than 700m.

Sounds reasonable to me.
That's what the official word on it was beforehand, so it confirms it. IMO, making it a quarter mile long was REALLY thoughtless and random.

I just hope that the gashapon/candy toy makers in Japan keep rolling along... otherwise, all we'll have are Burger King toys :mad:In this economy, I don't think we'll be seeing much of a future for those Japanese Gashapon type toys, they are expensive to produce and expensive to buy. Leaving us stuck with Mattel's "let's paint it white and sculpt it tomorrow" brand of nonsense.

BTW, have you guys seen the QMX new "Studio Model" Enterprise? It's 34 inches of unreasonably expensive coolness. Their Cylon Raider was almost $1000 so who knows what this'll go for.

http://www.quantummechanix.com/Star_Trek.html

Nice...Looks good, I wish I liked the design more. There's a funny gap at the lower sensor ring at the bottom of the saucer I noticed in the second video. :p If they ever did that for the Ent-A, I'd have a real dilemma.

Mattel has finally gained some sort of miraculous sense, some inkling of insight, some minuscule microbe of a decent thought and given the K-BoP and/or HMS Bounty version pivoting wings. At this point, I don't care if the freaking thing doesn't have any paint at all. I just want to play with those wings! Of course, because it would be absolutely stupid (well, I suppose proper in their case) to makes 2 molds of K-BoPs just because of the wings, I'm expecting the only difference between the two K-BoPs will be "HMS Bounty" text on it. I mainly bring that bit up because someone on TrekToy reported finding the K-BoP, but made no mention of the spectacular sight of raised wings.Annnnnnd, damnit. That does look ok, and it has the movable wings. BUT! The wings are up way too high, are plastic that lets light shine through... oh hell, I'm buying it. But the hinge point is wrong I think, there's an angle problem there, the guns end up angled down too much, something's off.

Well, I was curious to see if I could find a small scale Space Shuttle Enterprise and I came across this for only $1.2 million: http://spacetoys.com/proddetail.php?prod=spaceshuttleorbiter&cat=12Interesting find. Price doesn't include interior and it cannot fly, what a ripoff! ;)

Preview of the sound effects on the Art Asylum Enterprise D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmGeo8wf1p4That was posted a while back in the Star Trek Figures thread.

I've just discovered the Art Asylum line, http://diamondselecttoys.com/store.asp?p=category.asp%3FCategoryID%3D335, that look really amazing in pics. (Probably only the prototypes are pictured?) I assume they are not to scale amongst each other, since the Ents. D & E would so dwarf the TOS ships, for example. Too bad.

But you'd need lots o' space/shelving/storage for a collection of these. Plus, they ain't cheap!The NX-01, TOS Ent, and Ent-Refit are scaled to each other (the TOS scale is a little off, but really minor). I believe the Ent-D and Ent-E are also scaled to each other, but definitely not to the other 3. They have said at AA that they are concerned over scale, so they are taking it into account. Check out www.NewForceComics.com they have great prices and may have therecent and upcoming reissues of the other ships.

I just found one at Target, I can't bring myself to open it yet. I just dont want to know if it sucks, cause it looks so cool in package.... and then I fainted! :shocked:

http://current.com/items/90029658_death-star-destroys-enterprise.htmBoy, it was really stupid of the Enterprise to not have shields up, or to not move, or to not blast that scouting team into oblivion before they landed near Starfleet headquarters.

This is one of the things I don't like about the SW vs ST thing, there's a thoughtless aggression on the part of the "SW must win" side which makes the cute joke they were trying to make a little annoying.

Wow wow ow... I broke my "wow!!!".

Wow she looks quite a bit bigger than the Ent-E which is a bit surprising, look good but still won't be buying it.The Ent-E is a little longer than the Ent-D, but much narrower and almost half as many decks tall.

I like the All Good Things Enterprise-D I have it on pre-order too. :thumbsup: As for Enterprise-E I never liked it, looks like a fruit tart with all those rainbow colors on it...I didn't know the rainbow came in shades of gray.

Darth Windu
06-10-2009, 02:07 AM
I believe the Ent-D and Ent-E are also scaled to each other, but definitely not to the other 3. They have said at AA that they are concerned over scale, so they are taking it into account...The Ent-E is a little longer than the Ent-D, but much narrower and almost half as many decks tall.
I doubt it. The AA Ent-E and old Playmates Ent-D are roughly to scale with each other, but the new AA Ent-D (at least the AGT version) looks too big. Well it does to me anyway.

LTBasker
06-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Annnnnnd, damnit. That does look ok, and it has the movable wings. BUT! The wings are up way too high, are plastic that lets light shine through... oh hell, I'm buying it. But the hinge point is wrong I think, there's an angle problem there, the guns end up angled down too much, something's off.

I actually found one at Target the other day, and after a few dozen minutes of poking from various employees, I finally managed to regain my stance after having been literally floored from the shock of finding a new Mattel product within mere days of it hitting online stores. The paint is cheap looking, and the rear proportions feel off, but my god, Bones, it has pivoting wings. I was happily entranced from that moment on until I realized there wasn't a second one present... An opening would have to wait. Oh well.

From what I can tell from the various barriers that hold me back from fondling it's pivoty goodness, the sculpt has a decent amount of detail that has unfortunately come out as soft. I would truly like to see if the prototypes improve greatly, the detail on the neck manages to withstand the smudging process, however, and really fetches your vision away from the blurred appearance of the "head" hull. The rear of the body, in contrast, looks like it belongs to an entirely different replication of the vehicle as it has far more shallow details that are easily overlooked.

The wings pivot on an ugly Hotwheels axel-esque pin hinge, but the pin is relatively unnoticeable. It would have blended better had they used silver paint on the dots that flank the pin rather than white blobbing. The way the pivot works is that the part of the ribbed housings that are connected to the wings fold into the hollow upper ribbed housings, which when lowered should leave a far more convincing appearance than Galoob's execution - which makes me feel dirty for saying something less than positive about Galoob's HMS Bounty. Hopefully this will allow you to leave the wings at a more accurate level, but I'm quite concerned about the simply pin hinge eventually becoming loose.

It's really hard to judge the thin plastic of the wings while it's in package, as the dark surrounding truly hides the fact that light seeps through, but holding it up to a lamp reveals the truth. I'm quite curious as to how it looks on a desk with only ambient lighting, though. The paint detail definitely rivals the previous ships, but not by much. When simply gazing at the wings, you think they have spent the time to paint various panels in a lighter shade of green as well as tossing in some brown ones. Looking closer, however, you realize the brown apps are actually "weathering" that has simply been applied in a spotted manner. They're also adorned with a logo on the angle flaps that hold the turrets, but I have little clue as to what the logo should be. It looks like a little guy parachuting with a sun in the background.

A subtle little bonus, however, was done with the stand. As not only did they appropriately change the chromed medallion from the usual arrowhead to the Klingon emblem we all know and love, but they also used green transparent plastic for the top half of the stand. Which just prompted me to look at my Enterprise-D's stand and the top half of it is apparently cast in a dark blue transparent plastic, but it's far too dark to really notice except directly in front of a light. The K-BoP stand's green plastic is far more noticeable.

Overall, if you really love the K-BoP, and furthermore if you absolutely love moving parts, then you should be somewhat happy with this. Not satisfied, but happy. Honestly, it makes me feel a little better about the $13 price - except when you look downward into the package and notice a whole lot of nothing.

On another note, here's a video of the AGT Enterprise and it going through all of the sound effects, as well as giving a good indication as to just how solidly attached the saucer section is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cya-PGIl_og

sergiurusu
06-10-2009, 07:46 AM
I didn't know the rainbow came in shades of gray.

Maybe but still looks like a fruit cake. :rolleyes:

Darth Windu
06-10-2009, 08:51 AM
No, it doesn't. The colouring on the ship is actually very nicely done.

Blue2th
06-10-2009, 10:10 AM
That was posted a while back in the Star Trek Figures thread.

My bad.
I haven't been in the figures thread for a while for some reason. :ermm:

JediTricks
06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
So, the suggestion is that we merge this thread with the Star Trek Small Ships thread. Anybody have any objections or concerns?

I doubt it. The AA Ent-E and old Playmates Ent-D are roughly to scale with each other, but the new AA Ent-D (at least the AGT version) looks too big. Well it does to me anyway.Well, I'll need to see it in person to be sure. You're right that the E looks a little smaller, it's 40m longer... wait, it's actually now 30m longer thanks to the Nemesis changes, which the AA/DST version represents. (Nemesis brought the nacelles forward and up, changed the pylons, and added a ton of torpedo launchers and a few phaser strips.) So it seems about 10% too small in that pic just in length.

I actually found one at Target the other day, and after a few dozen minutes of poking from various employees, I finally managed to regain my stance after having been literally floored from the shock of finding a new Mattel product within mere days of it hitting online stores. The paint is cheap looking, and the rear proportions feel off, but my god, Bones, it has pivoting wings. I was happily entranced from that moment on until I realized there wasn't a second one present... An opening would have to wait. Oh well.Then why would you want to not open it? Why would you want a duplicate?

From what I can tell from the various barriers that hold me back from fondling it's pivoty goodness, the sculpt has a decent amount of detail that has unfortunately come out as soft. I would truly like to see if the prototypes improve greatly, the detail on the neck manages to withstand the smudging process, however, and really fetches your vision away from the blurred appearance of the "head" hull. The rear of the body, in contrast, looks like it belongs to an entirely different replication of the vehicle as it has far more shallow details that are easily overlooked.Sounds like I'm happy to continue owning the Corgi one.

The wings pivot on an ugly Hotwheels axel-esque pin hinge, but the pin is relatively unnoticeable. It would have blended better had they used silver paint on the dots that flank the pin rather than white blobbing. The way the pivot works is that the part of the ribbed housings that are connected to the wings fold into the hollow upper ribbed housings, which when lowered should leave a far more convincing appearance than Galoob's execution - which makes me feel dirty for saying something less than positive about Galoob's HMS Bounty. Hopefully this will allow you to leave the wings at a more accurate level, but I'm quite concerned about the simply pin hinge eventually becoming loose.Sounds pretty basic.

Don't worry about saying non-nice things about the Galoob MM Bounty, it's a nice design but has a slew of little issues too. Not being honest about them won't change anything.

On another note, here's a video of the AGT Enterprise and it going through all of the sound effects, as well as giving a good indication as to just how solidly attached the saucer section is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cya-PGIl_ogNOOOO! Now I want to own it, I was trying to hold out and look what you did!!!

Maybe but still looks like a fruit cake. :rolleyes:
YOU look like a fruitcake. ;) I honestly don't understand the criticism.

My bad.
I haven't been in the figures thread for a while for some reason. :ermm:Perhaps because the figures kinda suck. ;)

LTBasker
06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
So, the suggestion is that we merge this thread with the Star Trek Small Ships thread. Anybody have any objections or concerns?

No objections here, I think it'd be fine.

Then why would you want to not open it? Why would you want a duplicate?

'Cause that's how I roll; very catawampus. :cross-eye

Sounds like I'm happy to continue owning the Corgi one.

I don't own the Corgi one so I don't know for sure, but based on the pics I've seen, you'll probably stare at that alot more often than Mattel's. It's definitely something that seems it would be best when fidgeting with it's wings and the angle in which you've got it sitting on the stand's ball joint, but afterwards... It just doesn't seem like a piece you'll sit back and admire.

JediTricks
06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
The Corgi one is amazing, I have it on top of my PC tower (next to my AA/DST WOK Ent) and it's a thing of beauty, it actually looks BETTER when it's dusty. But its wings don't move, so the Mattel one is a must in my book (the Galoob HMS Bounty is the only thing on top of my LCD monitor).

sergiurusu
06-11-2009, 01:37 AM
YOU look like a fruitcake. ;) I honestly don't understand the criticism.

Simple is always better. Look at the TOS Enterprise. Look at TNG Enterprise. :tired: Too bad I cannot explain this better in English at this hour in the morning. Not care what you say it still looks like a pizza to me. I'm talking only about the colors used on it, not about the design which I quite like. When talking about design my all time favorites remain Klingon BOP, Defiant and TNG Enterprise. And I'm not talking about the job DST did on it which seems excellent. I'm talking about the original concept of the starship the one that appeared in the movies..

Darth Windu
06-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Nope, I was going to suggest it myself.

Jayspawn
06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Might as well merge it.

JediTricks
06-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Simple is always better. Look at the TOS Enterprise. Look at TNG Enterprise. :tired: Too bad I cannot explain this better in English at this hour in the morning. Not care what you say it still looks like a pizza to me. I'm talking only about the colors used on it, not about the design which I quite like. When talking about design my all time favorites remain Klingon BOP, Defiant and TNG Enterprise. And I'm not talking about the job DST did on it which seems excellent. I'm talking about the original concept of the starship the one that appeared in the movies..I am so used to your posts that I had forgotten you're not a native English-speaker.

I just don't see the colors you refer to in any images of the Ent-E, it's a very gray ship with only a little red in the engines. Maybe you mean the colors from the lifeboats, but they're fairly simple.

Nope, I was going to suggest it myself.

Might as well merge it.There are a couple solid arguments against in there, that they are 2 different types of collectors and could be a lot of confusing crosstalk since there are differences to the way they're marketed. I'll need to give this more thought.

Tycho
06-17-2009, 01:58 AM
I've got it! The Ultimate Enterprise 1701 ship!

This one requires an extensive sound effect chip, but since we now all know that Captain Kirk rocks out to The Beastie Boys, I want an Enterprise that plays an MP3 of "Sabotage!"

I hope in the next movie, some alien ship comes along and Kirk has Uhura open hailing frequencies and then blasts them with rock!

LTBasker
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I've got it! The Ultimate Enterprise 1701 ship!

This one requires an extensive sound effect chip, but since we now all know that Captain Kirk rocks out to The Beastie Boys, I want an Enterprise that plays an MP3 of "Sabotage!"

Don't be daft, Tycho.

It'd be Intergalactic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umN2x2t7i5s).

Tycho
06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
That was great!

Here's how Kirk rocks (Beastie Boys Sabotage with Star Trek movie clips) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htMg48NNOsk)

Darth Duranium
06-17-2009, 04:46 PM
No Beasties chip, but there's new (and re-released) Trek models here:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/16/exclusive-first-look-at-star-trek-movie-enterprise-model-more-round-2-trek-model-previews/

Gonna have to check some of them out... wish they were making smaller versions.

JediTricks
06-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Ugh, why does Ertl have to keep adding more friggin' names to their company? Polar Lights, Round 2, RC2, AMT, MPC, Racing Champions, Auto World, American Muscle, etc. It's ridiculous and confusing!!!

Anyway, a snap kit of the New Coke movie Enterprise seems kinda middling, but probably fits better with the existing market of buyers which are not modelers.

That article makes a great point I never thought of before, but the prequel Jedi Starfighters with removable hyperspace rings is using an idea from ST:TMP's warp shuttle sled. Lucas probably didn't do it intentionally, although his fx house is the one who executed it. I love the idea of using magnets to hold the model kit segments together, but I fear strong magnets might tear the 2 models apart - I hate models' fragility, it's why I stopped building them.

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Gonna have to check some of them out... wish they were making smaller versions.

Aye!But who in the blazes, begging yar' pardon, sir, has the room for a 1:350 scale (32.5") Enterprise?! "Admiral...there be whales here!"

Darth Duranium
06-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I sure don't... checkin' it out don't mean I'm buyin' it. But Scotty/Moby Dick references are real appropriate for 32.5" Trek ships.:D Jesus Murphy!

Hallmark's about the max size limit for me these days...

LTBasker
06-21-2009, 03:15 AM
A bit of a correction in my judgment of the Hot Wheels K-BoP as I've recently opened one. The packaged impression definitely leaves you far from aware of it's hidden potential, as what you can not realize when you're outside the looking panel looking in is that this thing is at most... 90% metal, at least when excluding the wings which I would never expect to be metal. Indeed, it amazingly comes close to living up to the die-cast title - at least about as close as most of the best Titaniums did.

The body is made up of three sections, and miraculously the smallest section is the plastic one, and better yet; it makes SENSE as to why it's plastic! This section houses the area in which the ball of the stand is accepted into. It makes sense to me as metal may not allow proper flexing, or the edges could get scratched up as you pose it throughout it's lifetime. Being a small portion, it blends in incredibly well with the metal, made all the more amazing because you can hardly see the seam; I thought it was part of the neck portion at first.

The wings bring their own little set of surprises as well, in that the hinge is far more than can assume from the poorly hidden pin on the front. Instead of being a simple hinge, it clicks! It has 3 total positions to click into, but unfortunately one of these positions is not a moderate wings-above-the-head version. Instead, there's the Vulcan-landing (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/bop1.htm) style as depicted in the packaging, a "cruise" version which puts the wings straight-out and level with the neck, then there is the classic wings down form. The most brilliant thing about the hinge is that even when the wings are down, it looks far more normal than Galoob's HMS Bounty achieved. It looks questionable even from the rare that they pivot. As well, the lower "fins" that come into existence by the raising of the wings not only serve as stopping points for the wings, but they have even been utilized to block the view of screws within the wings. The rest of the screws are well hidden by plugs that carry on existing detailing.

The ship keeps some disappointing aspects, of course. As the weathering is simply done in Dalmatian-style, and the bright red (feathering?) on the bottom of the wings is far too much of a contrast from the weathering attempts. As well, the stand plugs far too deep into the hull that you don't get anywhere near the range of posing motion as was achieved with the Enterprise-D. I can't speak of the other ships, though, as I only have loose versions of the Ent-D and K-BoP.

Lastly, there is an admirable effort that could have been fun, but falls flat. The impulse thruster is cast in transparent red plastic and becomes illuminated when held in front of a light source. Unfortunately, due to the well-known thin plastic of the wings, your focus drifts from the impulse thruster to the wings as they apparently are starting to go into cloak.

Overall, it's a far more exciting piece once opened up and much more worth the $12-13 than I originally thought. It has several areas that could be improved upon, but as-is, I like it far better than I did the Enterprise-D - which is better to leave in the package. The K-BoP is definitely something you want to play with.

I'd snap some pics, but my camera and computer are apparently having a spat and not talking to each other.

Tycho
06-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Where did you find this K BoP?

Last time I was in Toys R Us I think I saw:

Enterprise NX
Enterprise 1701 (80's movies refit version)
Reliant
Enterprise 1701-D I think.

If in scale to my AA/DST ships, I might be interested in the BoP and of course I am so hoping for the Defiant.

LTBasker
06-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Found both of my K-BoPs at Target. Others have found it at K-Mart and Wal-Mart, but none of the stores around here from either of those chains are carrying the ship line. I've yet to see the Abrams Enterprise, though.

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I finally found the Mattel KBOP at Target, my grandma bought it for me. :yes: I can't gush over it as much as Basker is, the metal does take up more of the fuselage, but that's not entirely a good thing because Mattel's die-cast metal loses a TON of sculpted detail, and next to the Corgi die-cast one it's like Mattel's is a Hong Kong cheapo bootleg. (They don't share sculpting, I just mean in the level of detail. Actually, the Mattel has 1 piece of sculpting the Corgi doesn't, the front of the "shoulderpads".)

Speaking of the Corgi, it's the same size as it, but is night and day to it. Firstly, it's a lighter green than the Corgi's dark dark green. It has cheaper paint and slightly less refined lines on the bridge and first hump behind the neck. The main thruster is clear dark red plastic where the Corgi's is bright orange opaque (one area where the Mattel is superior). It's got the stand hole cut into the cargo bay door dome, while the Corgi has a smaller hole at the actual balance point just behind the neck. The moving halves of the wing "shoulders" have sculpted detail while the Corgi's don't. It's far less heavy than the Corgi which uses a higher quality metal and more of it. And of course, it has movable wings that the Corgi doesn't, but at the cost of accuracy, placing an unattractive hinge system at the end of the wing which lowers the wing slightly and changes the lines there a bit. The wings are plastic and not entirely opaque, even in low light, holding it at the wrong angle can show a lot of light through the wings.

The wings stop at 3 positions on the Mattel, down, flat, and up. However, the up is too high and looks wrong, and the flat isn't quite accurate and not even from left to right wing.

Compared to the Corgi, it has 1 thing going for it, that of the movable wings. However, the Corgi is hard to get, and usually at least twice as much money as the Mattel. This one for $13 is an ok deal and probably the best one of the Hot Wheels series so far. I would say this is a very good toy version, the movable wings is fun (though it sucks that asking for accurate wing positions is too much to ask), it's got an ok sculpt and paint is fair (not great, but not as bad as the others in the series either, and more complete than them), it's fun to pick up and whoosh. The best part is that it delivers the ST4 flat wing pose that is most common throughout the film. The worst part is really that it doesn't properly deliver the "wings up" pose we've been DYING to get.

Grade: C+ / B-

The body is made up of three sections, and miraculously the smallest section is the plastic one, and better yet; it makes SENSE as to why it's plastic! This section houses the area in which the ball of the stand is accepted into. It makes sense to me as metal may not allow proper flexing, or the edges could get scratched up as you pose it throughout it's lifetime. Being a small portion, it blends in incredibly well with the metal, made all the more amazing because you can hardly see the seam; I thought it was part of the neck portion at first.The receiver cup is a separate, rubber piece and could have been recessed behind metal. I suspect the only reason they didn't is because the receiver cup wouldn't attach firmly to the metal body directly. I doubt they

The wings bring their own little set of surprises as well, in that the hinge is far more than can assume from the poorly hidden pin on the front. Instead of being a simple hinge, it clicks! It has 3 total positions to click into, but unfortunately one of these positions is not a moderate wings-above-the-head version. Instead, there's the Vulcan-landing (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/bop1.htm) style as depicted in the packaging, a "cruise" version which puts the wings straight-out and level with the neck, then there is the classic wings down form.I really wish they had put another stop-click in the wing for regular wings-above, that disappoints me greatly. I'm considering inserting stop-pins into back wing-bar to stop them prematurely.

As well, the lower "fins" that come into existence by the raising of the wings not only serve as stopping points for the wings, but they have even been utilized to block the view of screws within the wings.Those lower winglets are part of the original design, they're on the Corgi model where they're not hiding anything. They're supposed to be below the wing rather than melded through it, but Mattel used that hinge system that drops the wing down slightly.

Lastly, there is an admirable effort that could have been fun, but falls flat. The impulse thruster is cast in transparent red plastic and becomes illuminated when held in front of a light source. The torpedo bay center is also trans red plastic. Under UV light, they fluoresce.

Where did you find this K BoP?

Last time I was in Toys R Us I think I saw:

Enterprise NX
Enterprise 1701 (80's movies refit version)
Reliant
Enterprise 1701-D I think.

If in scale to my AA/DST ships, I might be interested in the BoP and of course I am so hoping for the Defiant.When did you see an NX? Johnny Lightning's has been off the shelves for years, AA's even longer.

Anyway, it's roughly "in scale" on the smallest possible size to the AA/DST Ent-A, but the ship changes scales quite a bit and it's hard to buy the 60m micro-size claim, so it's sometimes larger and smaller.

Probert's scale drawing of from ST 3 where it's only a little smaller than the Reliant would make it to scale with the Mattel Reliant, but Mattel's Ent-A is a smaller scale than that so it would only fit in the "sliding scale" upsizing thing with that one.

LTBasker
06-26-2009, 02:09 AM
I can't gush over it as much as Basker is

Didn't mean to gush so much, was just really surprised at the redeeming amount of metal to it - at least compared to my Enterprise-D.

The wings stop at 3 positions on the Mattel, down, flat, and up. However, the up is too high and looks wrong, and the flat isn't quite accurate and not even from left to right wing.

The highest bit seems to be based on the Vulcan landing, which seemed to be done solely to fit into a mountainous area. Always thought that looked ridiculous itself, though. Hopefully this will be the start of a trend for whatever other hundreds of companies that crank out a K-BoP later on and we'll eventually end up with a proper one. My copy suffers from the uneven wings as well, both glad and disappointed to find it's not just mine that does it.

The torpedo bay center is also trans red plastic. Under UV light, they fluoresce.

Really? That seems kinda pointless, but I suppose it's a subtle little bonus. Bit too subtle, maybe...

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 03:50 AM
The Vulcan landing model has one wing set higher than the other, so I think it's a build mistake on the modelmaker's part. But if that's what they were going for, they should have included landing legs at the least. Either way, they could have put 2 stops in there, one for each angle.

The thing about the torpedo bay is that there's no way for light to get in there, so it's just shiny black plastic in the center, hard to tell it is supposed to be translucent. But I used a laser pointer and a flashlight and UV light to be sure, and I like the use of it, gives it a dynamic feel that the Corgi lacks.

Darth Windu
06-26-2009, 10:12 AM
In other news, I note that the new DST/AA Ent-D has the detachable saucer that's apparently held there by a powerful magnet and contact points, allowing the full electronics to work when the ship is connected, whilst still allowing saucer separation. Awesome!

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Alrighty then, I'm trying to resist diving into the larger ships, but for the sake of argument, were I to consider the best of the larger models of the main Ents. (1701, Refit, D, E) would AA be the premium choice, short of a kit with hundreds of parts to glue together? (Btw, I don't like the way the AA NX looks from online pics; the paint looks very unfaithful.)

The Bandai snap kits look good, too, but come at the cost of assembling and would probably need filing and paint-retouching of the parts as they are cutoff the sprue tree—not sure I want to go there. Also, Bandai apparently only makes the A, E and NX.

Looks like AA is the preferred way to go—although Bandai may be the choice for the NX.

What say you guys?

Btw, can anybody tell me the max width of the widest AA ship? Would it be the D, and at what width?

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 06:48 PM
In other news, I note that the new DST/AA Ent-D has the detachable saucer that's apparently held there by a powerful magnet and contact points, allowing the full electronics to work when the ship is connected, whilst still allowing saucer separation. Awesome!
Yes, this was divulged a while back, along with the warning that if you angle it downwards while removing (to use the lip of the "cobra head" for leverage), you will break the toy. Lift up only.

As for larger ships, the AA NX-01's paint is actually fairly faithful, but there are a lot of little things missing which show up on the mirror-universe version. I would say the original is pretty good, I haven't experienced any others though.

There is no competition for the Ent Refit, the AA/DST is the only way to go without breaking the bank and gluing tons of parts together. The original release is the 1701-A and has a simple deco that lacks a lot of finer details, it sports an off-gray matte plastic color that is fairly faithful. The second release is the Wrath of Khan repaint, it has a lot more fine details and a pearlescent off-white plastic color which looks pretty nice, but the plastic is semi-translucent and light shines through the saucer something horrible. The WOK version has more sound effects and more authentic sound effects, but they are intercut with movie lines which takes away from the experience. The Ent-A has less sounds and they're not all from the right movies, some are from the TNG-era movies.

I don't know of another TOS-era Enterprise in this scale, the AA/DST is faithful to how the original looked on TV (although there is some trouble with the lettering lining up on AA's paint mask so up close the letters are slightly misaligned in "USS Enterprise"), but lacks fine details in the sculpt that were there on the prop. The overall shape though is far more accurate than anything I've seen sub-$100. The sounds are pretty decent, the paint is fairly good if simple. The stand is crap and breaks far too easily.

AA/DST's Ent-E captures the look very well, has good paint, a good stand, good sounds, and a very accurate sculpt. The paint is missing a few touches, and the deco is more contrasty in person than in the movies (it's accurate to the shooting model, but not to how they LIT the model). It seems that this one is about to be re-released as well.

The upcoming D from AA/DST has the flaw where they didn't paint the windows on the neck, but otherwise looks far superior to anything else out there by far. The D will be the widest ship by far, but I don't have it yet so I can't give you hard numbers, though I'm guessing 10" based on what I remember seeing it in person at SDCC last year. The rest are all pretty much the same width actually, around 7.5" at the saucer (the Ent-E is narrower).

If you want a large-scale Defiant, the only choice is the Playmates one, it's a nearly perfect sculpt, decent paint (though the stickers around the warp cowlings don't work right), and one of the few ships they made that actually uses source sound effects - 4 of 'em.

Blue2th
06-26-2009, 09:15 PM
For the reasons JT mentioned, I like the Enterprise A better.
The transparent plastic on the WOK really bugged me so much after opening mine.
I recently got rid of my Battle Damaged one because of that.
For display I prefer the 1701-A, though it's sound effects are inaccurate, it looks better IMO.
Guess AA wanted to go a little different direction since the A and WOK were similar in looks and shape but the transparent plastic just didn't work out too good.

I think the Bandai's are slightly smaller, but the detail and lights are killer from the photos I've seen. I don't have any yet because of the prices.

The AA NX-01 is getting pricey anyways lately, so the Bandai might be a good choice.
I've got all three versions of the AA NX-01. Regular, Battle Damaged and Mirror.

Darth Duranium
06-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Don't have much at this scale Spec, but here's my 2 cents:

AA Regular NX-01... agreed, it's quite nice and the stand allows a lot of flexibility. Not crazy about the overall colour or lights, for some reason...

Bandai Refit - It is slightly smaller than the others and there's a surprising number of pieces that take many hours to assemble. I don't remember using glue at all but I could be wrong. I had some fit issues internally with the battery compartment but the exterior parts are nice and very tight. It's got amazing pre-painted detail once it's complete... probably the best refit in any scale, from what I've seen, apart from the mega-priced ones. Lights up very nicely, once the batteries are finally in (argh!:cross-eye). I'm shocked at how pricey this one's gotten... it's typically nice Japanese work but it's really not worth that kind of money, compared to AA, as JT said. I should sell mine... and the NX (thanks, Blue!).

Borg Cube - a bit disappointing due to the lack of appropriately scaled detail: the hull panels/pipes especially; stand is rigid, too

Borg Sphere - this one's pretty good, nice detail, hard to find the sound effects button! Stand is rigid here, too... annoying but the red Borg symbols are kewl.

I really don't collect this harpoon-attracting scale but I wouldn't mind the AA "Cage" Ent, Ent E, and one of dem new Ent D's, once I move to an aerodrome.

Just curious: did anyone besides Playmates do a large-scale TNG-era Romulan Warbird or Klingon BC?

I also wondered why AA/DST and Playmates are licensed to both produce, often, the same ships in the same scale at the same time. Is that weird? Maybe not considering the JL/Furuta/F-Toys/Konami crossover... what do youzes think?

Blue2th
06-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I've never seen anyone beyond Playmates do the BOP and Warbird.

I don't have the Cube, was thinking about buying one if cheap enough for a mini diorama with the smaller ships. Closer to that scale in actuality.

Wonder if AA ever considered doing one? It would be cool to get an updated one with accurate lights, detail and sound. If they really wanted to do a good one, have an optional sphere emerging with red lights while the cube's lights are mostly green, with attachable lit up tractor beams. Maybe some red impact hits with battle damage.

Yeah I'm dreamin'

Darth Windu
06-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Yes, this was divulged a while back, along with the warning that if you angle it downwards while removing (to use the lip of the "cobra head" for leverage), you will break the toy. Lift up only.
Ah, that shows how little attention I've been paying to the big ships haha. Still pretty cool IMO.

As for the Defiant though it keeps being brought up in DST/AA's Q&A and they're apparently considering it for 2010, so here's to hoping!

Oh and DT - Playmates and DST/AA are NOT both licenced to do the same things, it's just that Paramount went back to their old ways of selling individual licences. In this case, DST/AA has the overall ST licence except for the new movie franchise, which Playmates has.

Actually that reminds me of one of the first time I ever used the internet. I wanted to go to the Playmates web site to look what Star Trek figures and ships were out (since I'd only just found out about all of the Star Trek MM's made after the 'Generations' pack!) and, in my youthful exuberance, ended up simply typing in [link edited -JT] - didn't quite take m to the site I was trying for...

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Borg Cube - a bit disappointing due to the lack of appropriately scaled detail: the hull panels/pipes especially; stand is rigid, tooYou mean the Playmates one? That thing SUUUUCKED. Not even the right size or shape somehow, despite being a CUBE.

Just curious: did anyone besides Playmates do a large-scale TNG-era Romulan Warbird or Klingon BC? Pretty sure nobody else has. The Vor'cha is pretty decent. The Warbird is small and has a central crossbar that just kills the point of the midsection, but it's not without its charms seeing as it, you know, "exists" and all.

I also wondered why AA/DST and Playmates are licensed to both produce, often, the same ships in the same scale at the same time. Is that weird? Maybe not considering the JL/Furuta/F-Toys/Konami crossover... what do youzes think?They aren't. Playmates has the license to the new movie only, AA/DST has the rest of Trek at this scale. Mattel seems to have the all-encompassing license but only covers small-scale.

I've never seen anyone beyond Playmates do the BOP and Warbird.

I don't have the Cube, was thinking about buying one if cheap enough for a mini diorama with the smaller ships. Closer to that scale in actuality.

Wonder if AA ever considered doing one? It would be cool to get an updated one with accurate lights, detail and sound. If they really wanted to do a good one, have an optional sphere emerging with red lights while the cube's lights are mostly green, with attachable lit up tractor beams. Maybe some red impact hits with battle damage.

Yeah I'm dreamin'I'm quite sure the Borg-crazed lunatics at the Art Asylum have considered it every way till Sunday, and still kick themselves at night for not figuring out a way to get it made. They are obsessed with the Borg over at AA, even when it NEVER sells (their first Borg line was a hilariously poor seller).

Ah, that shows how little attention I've been paying to the big ships haha. Still pretty cool IMO.No prob. I figured it was a good time to trot out the warning about how to remove the saucer anyway.

As for the Defiant though it keeps being brought up in DST/AA's Q&A and they're apparently considering it for 2010, so here's to hoping!They always say they're considering stuff though. I believe their next ship is either the Klingon Bird of Prey or the Excelsior. With the slow sales and massive delays on the Ent-D, I won't hold my breath for them ever releasing ANY of those, much less a Defiant. I'd buy the hell out of it if they did though.

Actually that reminds me of one of the first time I ever used the internet. I wanted to go to the Playmates web site to look what Star Trek figures and ships were out (since I'd only just found out about all of the Star Trek MM's made after the 'Generations' pack!) and, in my youthful exuberance, ended up simply typing in [link edited -JT] - didn't quite take m to the site I was trying for...The first time I ever used the web (not the internet, which I had used before), I actually came to this very site we're on now.

Please be careful about linking to stuff like that, it is against forum rules, we're a "family friendly" site and it could get you banned, I don't want that.

Darth Windu
06-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Whoops, my bad JT, I didn't even actually consider that I'd linked it, I just put in the full address to show what I'd actually done. Won't happen again :)

As for the Defiant and DST/AA I know what you mean. It seriously peeves me when companies seem to pull the stunt of "no, we're not going to sell what you want and will actually buy, instead we'll ignore the desire of fans and do what we want anyway" which is of course Hasbro's attitude to Titanium as well.

The Ent-B and Excelsior are the next ships (god knows why...) and then a Klingon ship, probably the BoP as you say. Hopefully after that they'll do the Defiant, I only mention it being possible because...okay I'll just put up the quotes to emphasise

Hi there, just wondering if there is a chance of you guys doing the USS Defiant from DS9 in you starship range? The old playmates one is too expensive on the secondary market, and I think that you would do a great version. And if it was possible, would you do it as a large vehicle or small? I know I would prefer a larger size vehicle. Also what happens to the prototypes that you create that don’t go into production, e.g. the Mayweather bridge set from Enterprise. Are there ones out there that can be bought in the secondary market?

DSTChuck: Defiant is one we’d consider for 2011 for sure. The size of the Defiant if we did it would be tricky we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Mayweather - I have no idea that was before AA became part of DST. For more recent stuff, it sits on a special shelf in my office or it gets boxed up and sent to an Indiana Jones, Ark like warehouse

Are you going to make the USS Voyager ship?

DSTChuck: Maybe someday Phillip but I will say not in 2010, we’re all set for the ships we hope to get out next year and we have a tight list of ships we’re considering for 2011 right now.

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 03:18 AM
Excelsior is one we've been wanting done right for a very long time. The Playmates one was a repaint of the Ent-B which is just wrong.

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-27-2009, 11:38 AM
AA Regular NX-01... agreed, it's quite nice and the stand allows a lot of flexibility. Not crazy about the overall colour or lights, for some reason...

The aztecing just looks way too dark and heavy, like a tatooed Romulan commander from a 2009 ST movie: http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-ART-ASYLUM-USS-ENTERPRISE-NX-01_W0QQitemZ320389340537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item4a98b15d79&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1 |293%3A1|294%3A50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-ART-ASYLUM-USS-ENTERPRISE-NX-01_W0QQitemZ320389340537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item4a98b15d79&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7 C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

I really don't collect this harpoon-attracting scale but I wouldn't mind the AA "Cage" Ent, Ent E, and one of dem new Ent D's, once I move to an aerodrome.

Yeah, no kidding. Maybe if I was single and had more than one bookcase to my name. :D I may have to redistribute some wealth and sell some of my 1/6 military figs to make room. :(

I also wondered why AA/DST and Playmates are licensed to both produce, often, the same ships in the same scale at the same time. Is that weird? Maybe not considering the JL/Furuta/F-Toys/Konami crossover... what do youzes think?

A good reason to not go overboard and collect-crazy, but at least that way you get to choose the best make.

Blue2th
06-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Excelsior is one we've been wanting done right for a very long time. The Playmates one was a repaint of the Ent-B which is just wrong.

It still commands a high price, but I won't buy one. Besides, I've been thinning out my Playmates ships, as new AA ships are made.
I'm waiting for the AA Excelsior and B we saw in the pics at Toyfare. Hopefully they get all the subtle, and not so subtle differences (like the Engineering section hulls) right.

That AA NX-01's aztecing does look too dark Spec.
This Japanese retailer has close-up shots of the Bandai NX-01, if you click on the little boxes.
It does look nice! http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10034551
BTW: Bandai also made a Voyager too. $$

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 03:46 PM
The aztecing just looks way too dark and heavy, like a tatooed Romulan commander from a 2009 ST movie:It's a fair complaint, though the TV show design was fairly azteked too, just not as contrasty.

It still commands a high price, but I won't buy one. Besides, I've been thinning out my Playmates ships, as new AA ships are made.Which ones DON'T command a high price? Enterprise E, I'll bet. :p Actually, the Defiant is down to $40 for a minute, now around $70 in box.

This Japanese retailer has close-up shots of the Bandai NX-01, if you click on the little boxes.
BTW: Bandai also made a Voyager too. $$Very nice, I'd not seen the Bandai kit before. It's azteking is also too heavy, but not as bad as AA's.

Tycho
06-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Oh Darth Windu, those playmates are definitely retrofitted :D

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-27-2009, 05:28 PM
BTW: Bandai also made a Voyager too. $$

This NX looks very appealing. Very nice series of pics to show what one is in for as far as assembling, too. I might be willing to attempt it at some point. Thanks for the link, Blue!

Blue2th
06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about it myself. The Bandai NX-01 wasn't going that expensive after I checked completed auctions. It was below $100 range. Which is puzzling because the AA one is more than half that.
I guess people don't want to attempt the build.

Be a nice one to try out before building the Refit or A, which is the other one I want for sure.

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking about it myself. The Bandai NX-01 wasn't going that expensive after I checked completed auctions. It was below $100 range. Which is puzzling because the AA one is more than half that.

Be a nice one to try out before building the Refit or A, which is the other one I want for sure.

Damn, this Bandai Refit is making me drool!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-STAR-TREK-1-850-USS-ENTERPRISE-NCC-1701-w-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ250435160984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4f194b98&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-STAR-TREK-1-850-USS-ENTERPRISE-NCC-1701-w-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ250435160984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4f194b98&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

But at $120+$25 s/h my wife would have my head. :hurt:

Still, my priority purchases would be:

AA 1701 (The new HD looks more paint-accurate)
Bandai Refit
Bandai NX
AA 1701-D

JediTricks
06-28-2009, 03:50 PM

Be a nice one to try out before building the Refit or A, which is the other one I want for sure.The Bandai NX-01 kit is 2" shorter than the AA vehicle, that probably has something to do with the pricing. 2" off of 12" is a considerable amount on something like this. Here's a review, it's a good-looking model, though they did the warp nacelle interiors wrong:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/bp_nx.htm

The Bandai Ent-refit kit is one I was very excited about at first, but upon seeing the ugly seams on the saucer and engineering (the light bleed on engineering is horrific), and the smaller size (another 2" smaller than the AA/DST version), and they couldn't even get the color of the main deflector right, my enthusiasm cooled considerably due to the price and labor involved. Here are some reviews:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/jr_enta.htm
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/rp_banent.htm

And the light-bleed problem being addressed:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/dr_bandai.htm

Bandai also made the Ent-E, but that one has even worse gaps and looks really tiny.

LTBasker
06-28-2009, 04:02 PM
I thought you all might find this fascinating, it's a pair of articles on John Eaves' blog regarding the golden ships from First Contact. Apparently, the golden Enterprise-B was simply a gold-plated Playmates version. Shame there isn't a scene of Picard playing with the electronics. :D

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/the-golden-enterprise/
http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/more-of-the-golden-starships/

Darth Duranium
06-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Wonder if AA ever considered doing one? It would be cool...

Yeah I'm dreamin'

Dream on, brutha. Thanks for the info.

Know that the Playmates Cube sits funny on the stand... turned at a 45 degree angle and it leans back a bit. For all of its many drawbacks, it did look pretty good nestling in with the big Death Stars and other Borg ships on the shelf. I only paid $10 for mine so I'm happy with it.

Oh and DT - Playmates and DST/AA are NOT both licenced to do the same things, it's just that Paramount went back to their old ways of selling individual licences. In this case, DST/AA has the overall ST licence except for the new movie franchise, which Playmates has.

Mattel's doing ships from both and I thought I heard that AA was doing a 2009 Ent... I guess not. Shame that they're not. Cheers... good info.

You mean the Playmates one? That thing SUUUUCKED. Not even the right size or shape somehow, despite being a CUBE.

So eloquently put, JT.;) Agreed, there is major suckage with the detail (scale is off by an order of magnitude) ...but it is actually cube-shaped so at least they got that right. It's the stand that messes with its proportions the most, IMO.

The Warbird is small and has a central crossbar that just kills the point of the midsection, but it's not without its charms seeing as it, you know, "exists" and all.

Wow... agreed, JT. That crossbar is a terrible idea. Didn't know about that. The Innerspace one has clearly-visible bridge seats in its midsection. The Hallmark's my favourite Warbird and the wire hangs out of the bottom of its "tail" so it's easy to hide. Really nice green glow when it's wired up. The Furuta's too small and drab, really. The MM's a wee bit shrimpy, too... even for MM.

Yeah, no kidding. Maybe if I was single and had more than one bookcase to my name. :D I may have to redistribute some wealth and sell some of my 1/6 military figs to make room. :(

A good reason to not go overboard and collect-crazy, but at least that way you get to choose the best make.

Agreed... got to keep it under control. I guess I like collecting smaller stuff so's that it doesn't overwhelm or bankrupt... but I have tons of stuff in boxes that I should unload, too.

I always thought that getting into figure collecting of any kind was far more dangerous to addictive personalities like me... there's just so much product out there! Not that I'm the posterboy for restraint in ship collecting... but the small trickle of product keeps me in line. And I've been at it a while.

I'm a huge fan of diaramas and miniature "worlds" in general... you build armies, fleets, battles, and stuff? Make with some pics already.:)

If I do sell the Bandai Refit, I'll give you guys a heads-up... I'd like it to go to a good home.

JediTricks
06-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I thought you all might find this fascinating, it's a pair of articles on John Eaves' blog regarding the golden ships from First Contact. Apparently, the golden Enterprise-B was simply a gold-plated Playmates version. Shame there isn't a scene of Picard playing with the electronics. :D

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/the-golden-enterprise/
http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/more-of-the-golden-starships/Funny, he mentions the wood grain on the Ent-refit, I was just reading about that on the Starship Modelers site. Apparently, Ertl made the first version without any surface detailing because they hadn't seen it in close-up during TMP, and after that miserable release, they redid it for ST2 with surface detailing, but for some reason felt woodgrain would fit the needs for the panel design. So it's ironic that he ended up taking that back down, when the earlier Ertl model kit was already that way to begin with.

Mattel's doing ships from both and I thought I heard that AA was doing a 2009 Ent... I guess not. Shame that they're not. Cheers... good info.Well, Playmates just released the new one, so there's no way they're going to want another company to come along and steal their thunder.... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Like that Playmates Enterprise has any thunder to steal, it's the worst-looking, most un-detailed piece of crap I've seen in the last 10 years.

So eloquently put, JT.;) Agreed, there is major suckage with the detail (scale is off by an order of magnitude) ...but it is actually cube-shaped so at least they got that right. It's the stand that messes with its proportions the most, IMO.Yeah, I agree the stand is what messes up the shape and not the actual lines. And look, there it is in your attached photo, it's sucking right now! God, it really looks like they left a model tree glued to the outside panels. Their sphere is much less intolerable.

Wow... agreed, JT. That crossbar is a terrible idea. Didn't know about that. The Innerspace one has clearly-visible bridge seats in its midsection. The Hallmark's my favourite Warbird and the wire hangs out of the bottom of its "tail" so it's easy to hide. Really nice green glow when it's wired up. The Furuta's too small and drab, really. The MM's a wee bit shrimpy, too... even for MM.I may be wrong about the crossbar, I remember it clearly but the images I'm seeing online of the toy don't have it.

Tycho
06-29-2009, 12:37 AM
I have always thought about getting that Playmates Borg Cube and then buying all the Starfleet micromachines ships I could find to fight it: the 1701, 1701-A, 1701-B, Excellsior, Grissom, Reliant, Enterprise C, Enterprise D, Enterprise E, Defiant.

I'm not sure which all MicroMachines made. They might be the best thing I could get to scale with the Borg Cube, which would really be so many more times massive, even.

Meanwhile, I want the darn Defiant, basically the size of the saucer section of the 1701 from the 2009 movie, but I'd buy a better, smaller Hot Wheels version.

JediTricks
06-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I have always thought about getting that Playmates Borg Cube and then buying all the Starfleet micromachines ships I could find to fight it: the 1701, 1701-A, 1701-B, Excellsior, Grissom, Reliant, Enterprise C, Enterprise D, Enterprise E, Defiant.

I'm not sure which all MicroMachines made. They might be the best thing I could get to scale with the Borg Cube, which would really be so many more times massive, even.Too bad the Playmates Borg cube looks so lousy, that'd make a nice display otherwise. Micro Machines made all those ships, but not to any scale so the Oberth-class Grissom is the same size as the Enterprise.

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-29-2009, 05:15 PM

Well, I just saw the AA/DST 1701-D in a store. Lemme tell ya, from what I could see of it still in the box, it ain't so awesome. it looks much better in pictures. The details are disappointing, considering the size of the thing—it's pretty huge at 12" wide x about 16" long. When you press the bridge-button, the entire bridge area that you just pushed lights up through the translucent plastic (phony-looking), while an anemic, barely audible Picard-voice screeches something unintelligible. Maybe with new batteries it may sound more energetic. The too-glossy, phony-looking finish is reminiscent of the Mattels. And the painted windows and details seem to be printed on a tad too thick, almost with a slight "bleed."

It clearly came across as a child's toy. Frankly, I like the small-scale F-Toys version better!

Glad I didn't order it online!

If this is typical of DST, I can see why Bandai kits are so much more costly. Oftentimes, the market will reflect the demand of an item based on the quality of it—a la, "you get what you pay for."

This is one wessel, I shall NOT consider.

JediTricks
06-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh my goodness, I think my Ent-D is at my mailbox place! I'm so excited!!! I'm going to stop what I'm doing and go right now.

Spectre o'the Phaser
06-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh my goodness, I think my Ent-D is at my mailbox place! I'm so excited!!! I'm going to stop what I'm doing and go right now.

See my post above, and then lemme know what you think. :bandit:

sergiurusu
06-30-2009, 01:32 AM
See my post above, and then lemme know what you think. :bandit:

check out this: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=65157

Darth Windu
06-30-2009, 05:44 AM
Wow, the lack of detail on the neck is terrible! That's a real surprise since DST/AA seem to have done an otherwise very good job.

I'm still going to stick with my Playmates version, but if they can correct that neck issue I may change my mind.

JediTricks
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Alas, it was not my Ent-D in the mail. I'm hoping it'll be here soon though.

I already warned you guys about the neck mistake. It's ridiculous, but not surprising, DST never can seem to hit ball all the way over the fence.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
check out this: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=65157

It won't let me unless I sign up.

Maybe I just expect too much from a large scale model. But it just seems to me, considering how much detail is possible with the 4" small scale ships like Johnny Lightning and F-Toys, that the larger scale ships that are 4x the size ought to be even better refined.

And the other thing that at least Bandai offers which I find extremely desirable is the (punched out) windows that light up. For a serious large scale collectible, this ought to be a given, IMO.

Blue2th
07-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Yup the Bandai's are cool. They are a little smaller as was mentioned, so that might be appealing.

With me it's what does it look good with, and can I mix and match different brands to achieve a little diorama, and the fact that most of my Playmates fleet needs decommissioning in favor of these new AA ones anyways. You can't get a few of these any other way. Doesn't look like Bandai will be making any more.
I like the fact that the two AA Enterprise D's are different colors.

I'll bet that Bandai Voyager would look good with a few Delta Quadrant Furuta's, like the Equinox and Kazon Raider seem to be close in scale. Maybe some of the Micromachines like the Delta Flyer and Maquis Ship next to it.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm much more interested in the best representation than the scale per se. It'd be nice to have a bunch of the Ents. all to scale, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. So, an outstanding replica of the Ents., particularly my favorite 3; TOS 1701, the Refit/1701-A and the NX-01) are a must. And Bandai seems to offer the best of 2 out of 3. (The 1701-D would be nice too, at a comparable size, but I'm very disapponted with the latest AA. And I'm not interested in any non-Enterprise ship.)

The fact that Bandais are a tad smaller than the Diamond toys is OK by me—the fact that they are of higher quality (I suppose that may be debatable) and light up like a Talibani under a Marine .50 cal means everything. :D

JediTricks
07-01-2009, 04:32 PM
So, my Ent-D did indeed arrive in the mail yestereday. It's a big mutha, I have no idea where to put it yet. For $35, it's fantastic. Lots of great lights, sounds are clear (too much dialogue, not enough fx), 2 docked stands, the saucer sep is great, they included plugs to fill the stand holes, there's a button to just leave the lights on, and best of all, they put button-cell batteries in the saucer so it can still do lights and sounds when separated. If you leave the lights-only mode on and then do saucer-sep, the saucer lights stay on too, which is very cool. They also made a slide-out hatch to turn off the button-cells, and this changes the brightness of the bridge light from way bright bleeding through the whole bridge to just the actual little dome.

Are there some drawbacks? Yeah, the window paint missing is a bummer, and the black windows that are there are a little sloppy, and the sculpted azteking rather than painted isn't ideal, but overall it looks really good.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
So, my Ent-D did indeed arrive in the mail yestereday. It's a big mutha, I have no idea where to put it yet. For $35, it's fantastic. Lots of great lights, sounds are clear (too much dialogue, not enough fx), 2 docked stands, the saucer sep is great, they included plugs to fill the stand holes, there's a button to just leave the lights on, and best of all, they put button-cell batteries in the saucer so it can still do lights and sounds when separated. If you leave the lights-only mode on and then do saucer-sep, the saucer lights stay on too, which is very cool. They also made a slide-out hatch to turn off the button-cells, and this changes the brightness of the bridge light from way bright bleeding through the whole bridge to just the actual little dome.

Are there some drawbacks? Yeah, the window paint missing is a bummer, and the black windows that are there are a little sloppy, and the sculpted azteking rather than painted isn't ideal, but overall it looks really good.

$35 is a dang good price! Where did you order it from? IF that included shipping I might have to consider that, after all!

JT, I noticed you're in L.A., where exactly? Me too, I live in Valencia but work in Universal City.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-01-2009, 07:57 PM
With a little drool dribbling from my mouth I've been researching the Bandai 1701 and found that there are two versions available on Ebay. The 1st edition of the kit which was released in 2003, has the name and registry already printed onto the saucer as 1701. The 2nd edition was released as 1701-A and comes with a "blank" saucer and several sets of decals so that one can label the ship as the 1701-A or any of several other ships of the class. This later edition also comes with a blue deflector. I believe a blue deflector is more correct.

Even though I would prefer the blue deflector, I definitely don't relish the idea of applying decals! The look and durability of decals can't be as good as the pre-printed version.

JediTricks
07-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Man does the Ent-D look amazing, it's so much bigger than anything else in my collection, absolutely dwarfs the Playmates version. I still haven't found a permanent home, it's propped up on a pile of collectibles in the living room for now. BTW, although they got a little slipshod with the majority of the windows when you look close, the ones along the seams on both the primary and secondary hull are really good, clearly a superior mask was used for them.

I did the test, put the E next to the D, it's not to scale but it's close. The E is 6% longer than the D, I'd say the length difference between the toys is closer to 3%, but it doesn't matter because the D is just so massive. That's the best thing about this AA/DST version, it's so big it almost seems like a shooting prop, hard to believe there's a toy out there this size. I think the show never really gave a true sense of the ship's scale the way this does, I can finally imagine how much smaller everything else would be next to it. The Ent-E is 24 decks tall, same as the Ent-A, and the Ent-D is 42, the height difference from E to D is significant, so it'd be the same to the A only that ship is way shorter on the beam too.

$35 is a dang good price! Where did you order it from? IF that included shipping I might have to consider that, after all!New Force Comics, who has been a driving force in keeping Trek merch alive for over a decade. It's not with shipping though, I paid $44 with shipping. But Rick at NFC is the man! I can vouch for this place, and am sure others here can as well. It's a small Florida operation but they pack the hell out of their stuff for shipping, and they barely charge overhead. http://newforcecomics.com/

JT, I noticed you're in L.A., where exactly? Me too, I live in Valencia but work in Universal City.I live in Los Feliz, aka East Hollywood. It's slightly less dirty than regular Hollywood. :p Man, I feel for you, that's got to be a really hot drive back to Valencia through the valley. I went up that way a while back when someone stashed a figure for me, it's quite the drive.

With a little drool dribbling from my mouth I've been researching the Bandai 1701 and found that there are two versions available on Ebay. The 1st edition of the kit which was released in 2003, has the name and registry already printed onto the saucer as 1701. The 2nd edition was released as 1701-A and comes with a "blank" saucer and several sets of decals so that one can label the ship as the 1701-A or any of several other ships of the class. This later edition also comes with a blue deflector. I believe a blue deflector is more correct.

Even though I would prefer the blue deflector, I definitely don't relish the idea of applying decals! The look and durability of decals can't be as good as the pre-printed version.If they're waterslides and you have "the skill", they can be if they're top-notch. I unfortunately am horrible with any and all decals, so every waterslide I've ever done in my life has ripped or bubbled. Anything but waterslides would fail as you point out.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, I'm pretty excited. I just purchased the original 2003 Bandai Ent. 1701 for $80 + $10 shipping from a U.S. Ebay seller. I think that's about as good a deal on this thing as can be had. His feedback indicates he's a reputable dealer but I bought from him directly, and outside of Ebay. Hopefully he won't rip me off. The kit is supposed to be 100% complete and the parts still sealed in plastic wrap; and the box with only 'mild shelf wear.' I did pay via PayPal and my Amex card so I feel relatively safe. :lipsrsealed:

This site, http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/rp_banent.htm, looks like a very helpful supplemental guide in building the thing. Offers solutions for some of the less-than-perfections of the kit, including an easy fix to the blue deflector issue by adding a thin piece of blue plastic in front of the bulb (pics below).

Will keep y'all posted.

Darth Duranium
07-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your new D with the others, JT. 35 bones seems pretty reasonable, considering its size. Maybe you can use it as a coffee table...:D

This site, http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/rp_banent.htm, looks like a very helpful supplemental guide in building the thing. Offers solutions for some of the less-than-perfections of the kit, including an easy fix to the blue deflector issue by adding a thin piece of blue plastic in front of the bulb (pics below).

Nice one, Spec. I think you'll like it, although it isn't really all that much more detailed than some of the smaller ones, IMO. It is groovy, though it takes a while to assemble... unless you're an engineer or something. Clearly, I'm not.... it took hours!

I think I'll have to do that deflector mod too... looks dead easy. Thanks for the info. BTW, I've got the 2003 Bandai and it is assembled without glue (or water-slide decals).

JediTricks
07-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Well, I'm pretty excited. I just purchased the original 2003 Bandai Ent. 1701 for $80 + $10 shipping from a U.S. Ebay seller. I think that's about as good a deal on this thing as can be had. His feedback indicates he's a reputable dealer but I bought from him directly, and outside of Ebay. Hopefully he won't rip me off. The kit is supposed to be 100% complete and the parts still sealed in plastic wrap; and the box with only 'mild shelf wear.' I did pay via PayPal and my Amex card so I feel relatively safe. :lipsrsealed:Sounds like not a bad get, good luck!

Will keep y'all posted.I saw that page with the fixes, it was a good idea but didn't come out evenly. I also wondered if the bulbs, which aren't LEDs, might heat up the additional plastic.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your new D with the others, JT. 35 bones seems pretty reasonable, considering its size. Maybe you can use it as a coffee table...:DI tried to take photos of it with the A and the E, but they just didn't come out right. It's so large that I couldn't frame it up well without being far away which didn't look right. I also tried to do a no-flash shot to get the lights, but it came out blurry. It's a nifty piece, very impressive, but I can't think of a way to shoot it. I don't have a table to shoot it on, that's a big part of the problem, it's on the floor.

Darth Windu
07-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I saw the Ent-D in store today for $90, which is about average. Looks pretty nice, still passing for the moment.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I saw the Ent-D in store today for $90, which is about average. Looks pretty nice, still passing for the moment.

If you mean the DST/AA one, that's some markup at $90. You can get it for $40 from http://newforcecomics.com/ or for $48 from Amazon/ToyWiz. Add shipping of $8-$10.

Darth Windu
07-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Keep in mind I'm Australian :) We do get ridiculous mark-ups quite a lot over here.

JediTricks
07-03-2009, 05:57 PM
90 Australian Dollars translates to $71 US, which is still kwazzy!

Darth Windu
07-06-2009, 04:06 AM
True, which is why a lot of the time it's cheaper for us to buy from overseas rather than here. Sucks, but hey, what can ya do?

Darth Duranium
07-06-2009, 03:00 PM
True, which is why a lot of the time it's cheaper for us to buy from overseas rather than here. Sucks, but hey, what can ya do?

Throw another prawn on the barbie?

Sorry, silly Aussie stereotype! :D

Dingoes ate my babies...

OK, I'm going back into my igloo now...

JediTricks
07-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Move away? ;)

Blue2th
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Prices or not, I wouldn't move. My brother was saying where he went was like San Diego without the California.

Darth Windu
07-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Prices or not, I wouldn't move. My brother was saying where he went was like San Diego without the California.
Your brother was in Australia? Also not a huge surprise, but I don't get the 'like San Diego without the California'... :(

Move away? ;)
Haha not a chance. Okay some things are expensive here, but it's a nice place to live.

Throw another prawn on the barbie?

Sorry, silly Aussie stereotype! :D
I'll forgive you because you said 'prawn' and not 'shrimp'. :P Actually you know I've never BBQ'd prawns...

Blue2th
07-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Your brother was in Australia? Also not a huge surprise, but I don't get the 'like San Diego without the California'... :(

Haha not a chance. Okay some things are expensive here, but it's a nice place to live.

He went to go visit my aunt that lives south of Sydney in Mittagong (not sure I spelled it right) Cousins living up and down the east coast and Tasmania.

Like San Diego's sweet coastal climate without as many people, cars, congestion, cost of living etc.

Darth Duranium
07-07-2009, 12:36 AM
I'll forgive you because you said 'prawn' and not 'shrimp'. :P Actually you know I've never BBQ'd prawns...

Just be thankful I left "Brace yourself, Sheila" out of it.:D

I'm hoping to get over to Oz myself this year if work ever slows down a bit... my sister's in QLD so I hope to sample a few Aussie prawns in person.

Tycho
07-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Like San Diego's sweet coastal climate without as many people, cars, congestion, cost of living etc.

Sounds nice. And I can speak Australian, Mate. However, no Padres and no Chargers. Big problem. How could I ever have a team that loses so many games living there?

Tycho
07-08-2009, 01:08 AM
New Post! Lookie-lookie: it's a new post by Tycho! Yeah!

I just got the Klingon Bird of Prey from Hot Wheels at TRU tonight. I brought it home to compare sizes with my AA ships (NX, 1701-A, 1701-E). The BoP is a keeper! Congratulations Hot Wheels! This is the first product that I've bought from them since my childhood. (Well earlier childhood anyway - nevermind the fact that I still am a child or I wouldn't have been in TRU in the first place).

Anyways, I'm going to open it a little later. I want to practice the guitar and play MLB Baseball on the Wii first.

Darth Windu
07-08-2009, 05:08 AM
Sounds nice. And I can speak Australian, Mate. However, no Padres and no Chargers. Big problem. How could I ever have a team that loses so many games living there?
haha you can always support the Western Force (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Force) or the Fremantle Dockers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Dockers) both of whom are quite adept at losing :)

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Sounds like not a bad get, good luck!

I saw that page with the fixes, it was a good idea but didn't come out evenly. I also wondered if the bulbs, which aren't LEDs, might heat up the additional plastic.

That's a good point about the heat of the bulb(s) creating a potential problem with any additional plastic. An Ebay seller recommended replacing all the bulbs w/ LEDs due to the fact that the bulbs have been known to melt the kit's plastic if left on too long. (Gulp... wha...what's too long?) But LEDs don't emit multi-directional light so there would have to be modifications/additions made to the wiring, and I don't have the skill to do that, not to mention soldering replacement LED bulbs onto the wires. :tired:

Also, those arbetorium windows are tiny! They're about 1/8" and the space between them is about 1/32"! That would be a real challenge to drill/cut those things out! It's hard to see how good (or how poor) a job Rod Pitt did because his photos are too small and show the windows at an angle. The photo of the inside of the hull show uneven-sized windows, but it's hard to tell.

After looking at the actual kit, that particular custom effect appears a might task indeed to get right the first time. I may be able to do it but I don't relish the idea of popping another $100 for a new kit if I mess up.

Blue2th
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
You could go down to a music store and get a gell that's used for theatrical lighting. They tolerate heat much more intense than what you're Bandai would generate I'm sure, and you would have more of a choice of blues.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-09-2009, 01:53 AM
You could go down to a music store and get a gell that's used for theatrical lighting. They tolerate heat much more intense than what you're Bandai would generate I'm sure, and you would have more of a choice of blues.

That's a great idea. Music stores, huh? I'll have to look into that. Can get 'em online, too. Here's a place, but they ain't cheap: http://www.stagespot.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=GELS-SHEETS

Jayspawn
07-09-2009, 11:44 AM
My Enterprise D arrived from NewForce yesterday. I am amazed at the detail and the size of it! Diamond really hit this product out of the park! The batteries in mine need to be replaced as the sounds and Picard tracks are very quiet.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-09-2009, 01:18 PM
My Enterprise D arrived from NewForce yesterday. I am amazed at the detail and the size of it! Diamond really hit this product out of the park! The batteries in mine need to be replaced as the sounds and Picard tracks are very quiet.

Well, no doubt about the size of the thing. But frankly that's exactly why I disagree about the amount of detail. I'm puzzled why a ship that size wouldn't hold even finer detail that it does when considering the amount of eye-straining detail that is in the small-scale ships.

Found a good deal on 10" x 10" gel sheets. This one looks like a good color for the job: "141 Bright Blue" (see sample color below) at $2.65/sheet + $4 postage: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=244-141&scqty=1

Don't know what the heat resistance properties are on these gels, hopefully adequate to resist the heat from deflector bulb.

I'll try to hunt down a local music store, too, to see if they carry these at a lesser cost.

Darth Duranium
07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, no doubt about the size of the thing. But frankly that's exactly why I disagree about the amount of detail. I'm puzzled why a ship that size wouldn't hold even finer detail that it does when considering the amount of eye-straining detail that is in the small-scale ships.

Agreed, Spec. If they can detail tiny ships like that, why not the big ones?

It's a shame that HW dropped the ball on the paint apps... might have been an interesting size to work with.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Agreed, Spec. If they can detail tiny ships like that, why not the big ones?

It's almost as if they simply enlarged the mold, added stuff to it but didn't bother refining what's already there.

JediTricks
07-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Haha not a chance. Okay some things are expensive here, but it's a nice place to live.Then the only other choices are to quit collecting or eat the pricing & distribution issues. ;)

He went to go visit my aunt that lives south of Sydney in Mittagong (not sure I spelled it right) Cousins living up and down the east coast and Tasmania.

Like San Diego's sweet coastal climate without as many people, cars, congestion, cost of living etc.... significant agriculture, economic power, ethnic and regional cultural diversity, aerospace, computer technology, education, scientific research, the entertainment industry, local music and art scenes, oil refinement.

That's a good point about the heat of the bulb(s) creating a potential problem with any additional plastic. An Ebay seller recommended replacing all the bulbs w/ LEDs due to the fact that the bulbs have been known to melt the kit's plastic if left on too long. (Gulp... wha...what's too long?) But LEDs don't emit multi-directional light so there would have to be modifications/additions made to the wiring, and I don't have the skill to do that, not to mention soldering replacement LED bulbs onto the wires. :tired:LEDs I think would be a problem in terms of power, they run on less power so you'd have to solder resisters to each one to avoid overloading them at the previous bulbs' sites, and their light isn't as "warm" visually so you'd have a lot to do there to balance everything.

That's a great idea. Music stores, huh? I'll have to look into that. Can get 'em online, too. Here's a place, but they ain't cheap: http://www.stagespot.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=GELS-SHEETS

You could go down to a music store and get a gell that's used for theatrical lighting. They tolerate heat much more intense than what you're Bandai would generate I'm sure, and you would have more of a choice of blues.I dunno about this idea, gels are meant to cast color from extremely bright lights, they're generally thicker plastic than what we're talking about working here. It's worth looking into, but I wouldn't count on this, I doubt any light as small as the one on the model kit will even show through a gel at all.

My Enterprise D arrived from NewForce yesterday. I am amazed at the detail and the size of it! Diamond really hit this product out of the park! The batteries in mine need to be replaced as the sounds and Picard tracks are very quiet.Agreed, it's quite a wonder.

Mine didn't have low sounds, but keep in mind on the batteries that the saucer has 3 button cells, if there isn't contact from the engineering hull with its 3 AAA batteries, you're only running sound from the button cells.

Well, no doubt about the size of the thing. But frankly that's exactly why I disagree about the amount of detail. I'm puzzled why a ship that size wouldn't hold even finer detail that it does when considering the amount of eye-straining detail that is in the small-scale ships.Because it's massive and sells for just $35?

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
---Quote (Originally by Spectre o'the Phaser)---
---End Quote---

Because it's massive and sells for just $35?

Well, and so to my point it's more of a kid's toy than a collectible IMO, and that's why I'll pass on it. I'd rather get the Corgi and/or wait for a better version. And btw I believe it currently sells for $45 min. + s/h.

I wish Bandai would resume and make a D!

Tycho
07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
You guys forgot San Diego's greatest charm: ME ! :D

JediTricks
07-10-2009, 05:36 PM
The sale price for DST stuff doesn't work that way, they set a base price but their retail partners (the small collectibles stores and comic shops) set their own pricing. Anyway, if you can get it for $35 from NFC, it's a great deal. $40 is a good deal. It's not a "kiddie toy" in person, it is a thoughtful model with some decent surface detail, unfortunately they went with the sculpted aztecking that should have been left to paint (stupid post-season 5 shooting model is partly to blame for this). The amount of painted details and lighted aspects is still WELL beyond what you'd find on a kiddie ship though, there's no comparison between this and something Playmates would put out.

You're part of San Diego, the point is that it's San Diego without Cali.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I wish I knew why Bandai skipped over the ever-so-loved-by-everyone 1701-D! I just don't get it. They did the NX-01, which is arguably much less popular. Their sips are so well-done, IMO, that I for one would pay top-dollar for a Bandai D.

Blue2th
07-10-2009, 08:52 PM
You're part of San Diego, the point is that it's San Diego without Cali.

California does have it all. Really, I'm just jealous I can't live there like I did before. I'd take the good with the not so good. :ermm: That's coming from a guy that lives in Terminator country.

I think I prefer the white color of the future Ent D to the regular D. It just looks right. Not that big of a deal though. I'll end up getting them both.

JediTricks
07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I wish I knew why Bandai skipped over the ever-so-loved-by-everyone 1701-D! I just don't get it. They did the NX-01, which is arguably much less popular. Their sips are so well-done, IMO, that I for one would pay top-dollar for a Bandai D.The NX-01 was on TV at the time, the Ent-D was off TV and not really as beloved by fans. Plus, it's going to make a small Bandai model because of their scale as the Ent-D is nearly as wide as it is long, and quite tall.

I think I prefer the white color of the future Ent D to the regular D. It just looks right. Not that big of a deal though. I'll end up getting them both.Well, the "eggshell blue" or whatever it's called is accurate, but I prefer to have the toy versions accurate to how the ship LOOKS on the screen rather than without the filters and lighting of the prop.

Darth Windu
07-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Then the only other choices are to quit collecting or eat the pricing & distribution issues. ;)
Oh of course, and that's one reason I'm not buying it :-p. It's an unfortunate side effect of living in a smaller market and dealing with extra shipping costs. That's why, as I said before, a lot of the time it's actually cheaper to buy from the US or especially the UK and have it shipped here rather than buying items here.

... significant agriculture, economic power, ethnic and regional cultural diversity, aerospace, computer technology, education, scientific research, the entertainment industry, local music and art scenes, oil refinement.
Hey! Australia has better education standard than the US, plenty of diversity, heaps of agriculture and research, plus we have barely any guns :-p

Blue2th
07-11-2009, 01:38 AM
The NX-01 was on TV at the time, the Ent-D was off TV and not really as beloved by fans. Plus, it's going to make a small Bandai model because of their scale as the Ent-D is nearly as wide as it is long, and quite tall.

Well, the "eggshell blue" or whatever it's called is accurate, but I prefer to have the toy versions accurate to how the ship LOOKS on the screen rather than without the filters and lighting of the prop.

I for one am glad it's so huge. Seems right for a Galaxy class ship. I should find something with all my ships to look good next to it.

So what you're saying is the white "looks" right to what you see on the screen? That's what I'm seeing.
Wasn't the TNG Enterprise all CGI or did they use models at all?

sergiurusu
07-12-2009, 03:02 AM
My Diamond Select Enterprise D is on its way to me as we speak. Can't wait. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-12-2009, 03:03 AM
I for one am glad it's so huge. Seems right for a Galaxy class ship. I should find something with all my ships to look good next to it.I bet my HW K-BOP would look great with it. I haven't been able to find much to go with it yet, but that one should scale nicely while avoiding the major scaling pitfalls.

So what you're saying is the white "looks" right to what you see on the screen? That's what I'm seeing.
Wasn't the TNG Enterprise all CGI or did they use models at all?No, the white is definitely not what I'd say looks right, it's too light. The gray with just a hint of blue is what I'd call right, but nobody's really nailed it. Look through the photos on the Wiki listing:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Enterprise_D

The TNG Enterprise was all models, no CGI whatsoever. I believe the only CGI Ent-D is in Generations, and there they used models as well (including the giant and somewhat inaccurate massive saucer crash model where the main shuttlebay grows substantially).

It's funny, but I never thought about the Ent-D's captain's yacht as being so huge until I got the DST ship. Looking at a larger physical model of the main bridge puts into perspective just how big the Calypso must be.

LTBasker
07-12-2009, 02:05 PM
IIRC, the only show that has been completely CGI on the ship was Enterprise, and Voyager only began to increasingly use it in the last few seasons. DS9 seemed to use a little, especially when it came to using the Akira, Steamrunner, Saber and Norway classes as they never existed in model form, I believe.

JediTricks
07-12-2009, 03:03 PM
The Akira is a CGI-only ship which, rumor has it, is extremely tragic because they "lost" that file, it's gone, no more of that.

Blue2th
07-12-2009, 03:40 PM
It is a duck egg blue. You can see that by the crashed Generations saucer section.
In the black backgound of space it looks whiter. Of course there's all kinds of aztecing, and windows etc. to variagate the color.

Nothing as dark as the blue-green-grey Corgi D though.

That must have been quite a model. Wonder who got that at the Cristy's auction. Should have been put in the Smithsonian IMO.

LTBasker
07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
The Akira is a CGI-only ship which, rumor has it, is extremely tragic because they "lost" that file, it's gone, no more of that.

Hmm, I've lost original files when modifying it into something different, as I work for so long that I get under the impression that I've saved it already... So I simply hit "replace" before looking at the file name. I'm going to guess the same thing (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/nx1.htm) happened.

Darth Windu
07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Actually they lost the files for the Norway-class, not the Akira. That's why three of the CGI ships from 'First Contact' - the Akira, Steamrunner, and Saber - are so prevalent in DS9, yet the fourth CGI ship - the Norway - never appears.

Phantom-like Menace
07-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Probably my one major complaint about the battle scenes during the Dominion War was that we saw so few different types of ships. Aside from the kitbashed ships we saw around DS9 and the Excelsior-variant that was being pulled by the tug, we only got Galaxy, Nebula, Miranda, Defiant, Akira, Steamrunner, and Saber class starships then one appearance of the Centaur-type. Aside from the Sovereign and Intrepid-class, those were the only CGI models they had available.

Well, I also complain about the blatant reuse of footage of the Defiant NX-74205 after it was replaced by the renamed Sao Paulo. Just inexcusably lazy and cheap. Oh, we gave it the same number. Lame.

To this day I wish Micro Machines hadn't stopped making Star Trek ships right as First Contact was coming out. We got a subpar Sovereign just before they bowed out, but to this day I haven't gotten the massmarket Akira and Steamrunner-class ships I've been wanting for thirteen years now.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Looks like there's a 1701-B on the horizon from DST. Looks pretty good in the picture. Except for that weird partial mirror image behind it with the nacelles unlit.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC11123&mode=retail&picture=out

LTBasker
07-13-2009, 08:43 PM
It's not a mirror image, it's actually the nacelle of the Excelsior. It's a cropped version of a pic taken at Toy Fair. Here ya go: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/?mode=view&album=09_Toy_Fair%2FDiamond_Select_Toys%2FStar_Tre k&pic=IMG_0441.jpg&dispsize=800&start=20

Darth Windu
07-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Aside from the kitbashed ships we saw around DS9 and the Excelsior-variant that was being pulled by the tug, we only got Galaxy, Nebula, Miranda, Defiant, Akira, Steamrunner, and Saber class starships then one appearance of the Centaur-type. Aside from the Sovereign and Intrepid-class, those were the only CGI models they had available.
True, although I was more disappointed that they never used the Cardassian Keldon-class ships in the big fleet battles. It had already been established that the Cardassian military used them. Oh and the Intrepid-class did make an appearance, as the USS Belerephon in the episode where Bashir and Admiral Ross travel to Romulus.

Well, I also complain about the blatant reuse of footage of the Defiant NX-74205 after it was replaced by the renamed Sao Paulo. Just inexcusably lazy and cheap. Oh, we gave it the same number. Lame.
Agreed! I was sooooo let down by the final episode in terms of blatant re-use of old footage. They'd never done it for a battle before, and yet then decide to start doing it in the final episode? WTF? Would've also been nice to see a cameo say of the Enterprise flying past at some point in the battle, but still.

To this day I wish Micro Machines hadn't stopped making Star Trek ships right as First Contact was coming out. We got a subpar Sovereign just before they bowed out, but to this day I haven't gotten the massmarket Akira and Steamrunner-class ships I've been wanting for thirteen years now.
Same, I was gutted when I found out that Galoob weren't doing any more of them and I'd never get my Akira :(. As for the Soverign, at least Romando did a superb MM-sized version of it.

JediTricks
07-13-2009, 11:01 PM
So, I was trying to find a good ship to scale next to the Ent D, after discussing the scale on the Hot Wheels KBOP against it. But unlike the KBOP, most ships have a single size. At first I thought of the Corgi TOS Enterprise, but it is too long, the TOS or Refit would be around 7.2" long against the D, but the Corgi TOS is more like 8 or 9. Then I thought of the HW Refit, but it is too small at around 5.5". I would think the HW Reliant would fit better, but I didn't bother measuring it as I didn't have the Mirand-class specs handy at the time.

Actually they lost the files for the Norway-class, not the Akira. That's why three of the CGI ships from 'First Contact' - the Akira, Steamrunner, and Saber - are so prevalent in DS9, yet the fourth CGI ship - the Norway - never appears.
Oh, I didn't realize, I had heard it was the Akira. That makes sense though. That layout on the Norway-class sucked anyway.

Well, I also complain about the blatant reuse of footage of the Defiant NX-74205 after it was replaced by the renamed Sao Paulo. Just inexcusably lazy and cheap. Oh, we gave it the same number. Lame.My favorite part of that crap was that they didn't even bother to change the "NX" classification that was no longer valid.

Looks like there's a 1701-B on the horizon from DST. Looks pretty good in the picture. Except for that weird partial mirror image behind it with the nacelles unlit.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC11123&mode=retail&picture=out
That is the regular Excelsior which the B is a variant of. I personally couldn't care crap about the B, I think it's a really horribly lazy design, "let's just bolt on some big ol' impulse thrusters and some random crap around the deflector, that'll make it special!" But I am glad that there's an image of SOME form of an upcoming quality Excelsior.

Blue2th
07-13-2009, 11:11 PM
That is the regular Excelsior which the B is a variant of. I personally couldn't care crap about the B, I think it's a really horribly lazy design, "let's just bolt on some big ol' impulse thrusters and some random crap around the deflector, that'll make it special!" But I am glad that there's an image of SOME form of an upcoming quality Excelsior.

I dunno, I kinda like the extra "cheeks" on the B's engineering section tapering up to the deflector the Excelsior does't have.
The B is like the Cadillac, Mercury (or Edsel) of the Excelsior class.

It's like an Art Deco Enterprise though I like the more business colors on the Excelsior better than aqua.
What do you put the B with? Don't see any Ribbon ships on the horizon.

The Excelsior will look great next to the excellent AA Enterprise A. :)

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-13-2009, 11:23 PM
And here I thought the Ent. 1701-B and the Excelsior were identical, being that they're both of the Excelsior class. Now I'm really confused. Which came first the Excelsior chicken or the Excelsior egg? :upset:

Blue2th
07-13-2009, 11:28 PM
And here I thought the Ent. 1701-B and the Excelsior were identical, being that they're both of the Excelsior class. Now I'm really confused. Which came first the Excelsior chicken or the Excelsior egg? :upset:

Aye, the Excelsior it was...

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
[their first look at the U.S.S. Excelsior]
Uhura: Would you look at that!
Kirk: My friends, the great experiment: The Excelsior. Ready for trial runs.
Sulu: She's supposed to have transwarp drive.
Scotty: Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon!
Kirk: Come, come, Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant!

Scotty: The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.
lol

LTBasker
07-14-2009, 01:34 AM
So, I was trying to find a good ship to scale next to the Ent D, after discussing the scale on the Hot Wheels KBOP against it. But unlike the KBOP, most ships have a single size. At first I thought of the Corgi TOS Enterprise, but it is too long, the TOS or Refit would be around 7.2" long against the D, but the Corgi TOS is more like 8 or 9. Then I thought of the HW Refit, but it is too small at around 5.5". I would think the HW Reliant would fit better, but I didn't bother measuring it as I didn't have the Mirand-class specs handy at the time.

What about the micromachines runabout? :D

Darth Windu
07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I dunno, I kinda like the extra "cheeks" on the B's engineering section tapering up to the deflector the Excelsior does't have.
The B is like the Cadillac, Mercury (or Edsel) of the Excelsior class.
Agreed, I always quite liked the Ent-B variant of the Excelsior, it just made the ship seems a bit more substantive than the regular Excelsior, a bit more realistic to me.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Agreed, I always quite liked the Ent-B variant of the Excelsior, it just made the ship seems a bit more substantive than the regular Excelsior, a bit more realistic to me.

Yes, definitely. I agree. Not that there's anything wrong with the Excelsior version, either.

clone157
07-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I always saw the Ent B as a step toward the Next Gen ships with the wider areas around the deflector dish. Now the Ent C seemed to be a cop out with the exception of the nacelles. I have to admit that the C seemed to be a better B. But as I mentioned elsewhere, the excelsior class always seemed a little like an aircraft carrier, with the flat top of the engineering section. Imagine a series that was Trek meets Battlestar. This is based on a supposition that the shields of a ship could be overloaded by multiple hits simultaneously, or somethin'.

Blue2th
07-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Found a article on how the Excelsior became the Enterprise B, later turned into the Lakota for DS9. Nice close-ups, and info on the model, not to mention a great site for Star Trek:
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/uss-lakotaenterprise-b-details/

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Nice site, Blue!!

Here's another customized job on the Bandai Refit—with a dimmer-switch, no less. Pretty cool stuff: http://www.culttvman2.com/dnn/Models/ModelingStarTrek/StarTrekotherEnterprises/LeeBrookingsBandaiRefit/tabid/944/Default.aspx

And check out what the Bandai Voyager is going for these days: http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-Star-Trek-Voyager-Model-Kit-RARE-OOP_W0QQitemZ290330662475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item43990e564b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

LTBasker
07-17-2009, 02:29 AM
AFI has pics of the finished version of the SDCC exclusive Enterprise from Mattel. They also have pics of a Batman set, I'm guessing in 1:50 scale as the Tumbler looks exactly like that version.

The Enterprise is interesting, especially with the way the packaging works, but overall it's rather cheesy. The bareframe decals are nicely done, but they seem to not quite work if you look at it from an angle. As well, the illusion is ruined by the graphic beneath the Enterprise that it seems is supposed to match the line's packaging.

As underwhelming as it is, though, I have to say it's the perfect type of exclusive. It's one of those things you're not heartbroken to not be able to get if it's impossible to acquire afterwards, but it's still fascinating enough to where it could easily be impulse buy if you happened to be there. The Batman set is quite the contrary as the 1:50 scale Batpod being a SDCC exclusive is quite obnoxious.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=3916

Darth Duranium
07-17-2009, 03:20 AM
AFI has pics of the finished version of the SDCC exclusive Enterprise from Mattel. They also have pics of a Batman set, I'm guessing in 1:50 scale as the Tumbler looks exactly like that version.

The Enterprise is interesting, especially with the way the packaging works, but overall it's rather cheesy. The bareframe decals are nicely done, but they seem to not quite work if you look at it from an angle. As well, the illusion is ruined by the graphic beneath the Enterprise that it seems is supposed to match the line's packaging.

As underwhelming as it is, though, I have to say it's the perfect type of exclusive. It's one of those things you're not heartbroken to not be able to get if it's impossible to acquire afterwards, but it's still fascinating enough to where it could easily be impulse buy if you happened to be there. The Batman set is quite the contrary as the 1:50 scale Batpod being a SDCC exclusive is quite obnoxious.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=3916

Thanks for the head's up, LT... underwhelming but kinda interesting, as you say. Extra mozzarella. Shame the execution is so dodgy... the spacedock is a very kewl display idea. At first glance it's pretty bad, but then you start staring at the decals... weirdly fascinating... and not exactly good. Are they painted or just stickers? And where do you get workbees for that scale? ;)

I'll say it again... someone at Mattel should be slapped for not getting the Trek XI ships out yet... could have gotten the new Ent in Earthdock and have a direct tie-in to the 2009 flick.

I hear that the HW ships are warming a lot of pegs at Target... I haven't seen them at retail at all up here. Is the line doomed?

Blue2th
07-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Kinda underwhelming like you say. Won't be upset to miss it. The Bat Cycle though, that's nice. I already have the Tumbler in the tan and black HW 2-pack.

The HW ST ships kinda sit at least in the Targets I see them in. Though when a BOP appears, it's usually gone the next day. Those are popular. They need to get the 2009 Enterprise out. Are they holding it up because of the large Playmates one?

Not sure about Walmart, I hardly ever see them there.

sergiurusu
07-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Diamon Select Enterprise-D and TOS Medical Tricorder arrived. I'll post pics of the ship later :)

Phantom-like Menace
07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh and the Intrepid-class did make an appearance, as the USS Belerephon in the episode where Bashir and Admiral Ross travel to Romulus.

No, I didn't forget Bellerophon. It just wasn't shown in any fighting or fleet pictures.

JediTricks
07-18-2009, 03:11 PM
What about the micromachines runabout? :DThat is a good idea, let me check the numbers...
Galaxy-class Starship: 642m
Danube-class Runabout: 20m

Hmm, that'd make a Runabout scaled to it around roughly half an inch long. It was a good idea though, and probably will make a nice display either way. But for scale it's around 3x too big, a Runabout would be around the size of the Surak Vulcan warp shuttle MM minus its warp sled. The MM Runabout would scale better against the Ent-Refit probably. Come to think of it, the Surak would scale nicely to it as well.

I'm thinking of putting the HW Reliant near the Ent-D, and the HW Refit near the Ent-E, as those scales work a little better. The idea of the HW Refit being scaled to the DST Ent-E is a staggering one, it really puts in perspective how much bigger starships got from the 23rd to the 24th century.

I always saw the Ent B as a step toward the Next Gen ships with the wider areas around the deflector dish. Now the Ent C seemed to be a cop out with the exception of the nacelles. I have to admit that the C seemed to be a better B. The Ent-C design is meant to bridge the look of the Excelsior and the Galaxy-class. The original design isn't so awkward, you can see its lines in the half-model in the Observation lounge, but because of time constraints, the model they built for Yesterday's Enterprise wasn't really done as accurately as they intended, and it comes off looking rather plain.

Found a article on how the Excelsior became the Enterprise B, later turned into the Lakota for DS9. Nice close-ups, and info on the model, not to mention a great site for Star Trek:
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/uss-lakotaenterprise-b-details/ Interesting article from ol' Doug Drexler there, and I love that Mike Okuda posted a comment with some great backstory. I disagree with the author's contention over the Bussard collectors though, I like how the Excelsior breaks with tradition on its nacelles by having a band around it where the bussards could be sharing grille space with the warp coil chillers.

I hadn't seen Drexler's blog before, but it just made my day, the latest article (http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/07/18/1701-tmp-directors-cut/) has some fantastic CGI renders of the Ent-Refit from TMP Director's Edition. I've been looking for high-quality images of the Refit for so long, there simply aren't any out there that I've seen.

Here's another customized job on the Bandai Refit—with a dimmer-switch, no less. Pretty cool stuff: http://www.culttvman2.com/dnn/Models/ModelingStarTrek/StarTrekotherEnterprises/LeeBrookingsBandaiRefit/tabid/944/Default.aspx
Nice work, but man is that an unattractive stand he made. Functional yes, but attractive, no. Why do the shuttlebay doors light up though? His photos of the lights on with no flash remind me of the Wormhole scene in TMP. :p

And check out what the Bandai Voyager is going for these days: http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-Star-Trek-Voyager-Model-Kit-RARE-OOP_W0QQitemZ290330662475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item43990e564b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-Star-Trek-Voyager-Model-Kit-RARE-OOP_W0QQitemZ290330662475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item43990e564b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C29 4%3A50)
That is utterly obscene!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=3916It's underwhelming, but I do kinda want it and probably will pick it up. The concept hits me where I live. Sad that they couldn't even be bothered to put on more details to the original, aside from the "still being built" deco addition.

Man, that Batpod set is nasty, totally scale fail. I highly doubt that tooling will remain exclusive, too expensive to leave that way, and it's not to scale so I'm guessing it's going to be a mainline addition.

I hear that the HW ships are warming a lot of pegs at Target... I haven't seen them at retail at all up here. Is the line doomed?Around here, they move at their own speed, some stores they will move fairly well while others they will stall horribly - this is more true of Target, TRU is slow in general with this line, from what I've seen. The Reliants that have all fallen out of their packaging are somehow gone most of the time, after weeks of shelfwarming. The line I suspect will not tank this year but will struggle through Mattel's miserable distribution the way their action figure lines do.

The HW ST ships kinda sit at least in the Targets I see them in. Though when a BOP appears, it's usually gone the next day. Those are popular. They need to get the 2009 Enterprise out. Are they holding it up because of the large Playmates one?Not a chance that is the reason. My guess is they got the license late and the scheduling for design was easier on existing ships than getting unreleased designs from the new film. I wouldn't be surprised to hear their Chinese factories told them they could do a hurry-up on the tooling or manufacture and then either couldn't deliver on time, or suffered setbacks from the strikes.

Blue2th
07-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Interesting article from ol' Doug Drexler there, and I love that Mike Okuda posted a comment with some great backstory. I disagree with the author's contention over the Bussard collectors though, I like how the Excelsior breaks with tradition on its nacelles by having a band around it where the bussards could be sharing grille space with the warp coil chillers.

I hadn't seen Drexler's blog before, but it just made my day, the latest article (http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/07/18/1701-tmp-directors-cut/) has some fantastic CGI renders of the Ent-Refit from TMP Director's Edition. I've been looking for high-quality images of the Refit for so long, there simply aren't any out there that I've seen.

They make the images easy to share too. :thumbsup:
Hadn't seen the TMP Enterprise article yet, that is cool.
M Okuda seems to post there often. The knowledge there is way beyond my capabilities, so I'm just a happy humbled and intrigued lurker. :)

Did find an interesting shot of the bottom half of the Enterprise J that I hadn't seen before:
http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/untitled-150.jpg

JediTricks
07-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, if you find any more Refit pics that are decent from any source, LMK, I am always looking.

Wow, that is crazy! I would guess that CGI model of the Ent-J was created for a scene near the window in the corridor. A lot of work for something so simple. Or it could have been created for the starships calendar.

I just looked up more details on the Ent-J, Drexler says it's a Universe-class, 2 miles long, multi-generational. It has a whole city with parks and malls and such, and instead of using turbolifts they use site-to-site transporters (Stargate Atlantis anyone? :p).

Darth Windu
07-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Yuck! That design honestly is one of the most horrible I've seen in any Star Trek episode.

On a different note - sweet! http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sg_r030000.jpg

Never realised those torp launchers were even there.

JediTricks
07-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah, Enterprise had some wacky ideas for visuals.

Something's not quite right about that Stargazer CGI. There are no torpedo launchers on those struts, and they didn't paint deco on the underside areas (except for around the "faux bridge", and there's supposed to be a bar or tube running around the top edge, and the whole midsection should be thicker, and the shuttlebays should be square instead of tapered, and the struts leading to the nacelle pylons aren't supposed to be the neck of the Constitution-class as these struts are thinner. That CGI does show what a weird design that ship really is though, the modelmakers on the original slapped 2 top halves of the refit together on a wider circle, very odd.

I set up my HW Reliant with the DST Ent-D as it is roughly in scale, and man is it impressive. The Reliant is dwarfed by the D, it's like a go-cart under a tank. I also set up the HW Refit under the DST Ent-E as they're also in rough scale to each other, and the length difference between them is significant and cool to imagine, but the E just doesn't displace as much as the D so it's not quite as impressive as that. I'll try to snap a shot of each, but seeing them together in person is what really tells the tale. You could fit the Reliant inside the saucer section of the D!

Oh, also, I was watching ST2 through 4 yesterday, and something dawned on me. These ships really are white, but because they are self-lit for the most part letting space darken the rest, they look gray. Because we don't have professional lighting and matte backdrops to put them on, it seems urealistic to stick with the model colors even though they are accurate. I wonder if DST or HW would consider doing variants, painted to look self-lit.

Off topic, but check out these super fugly DS9 starships that are cheap kitbashes, they're noteworthily bad for stuff that was made for the show:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ds9tm.htm

LTBasker
07-19-2009, 06:11 PM
JT, there are indeed torpedo launchers on the Stargazer's struts, they're indicated by the pairs of red rectangular glowy bits.

In regard to scaling, I'm not certain if you have it but is the faux-micromachine Captain's yacht from the Playmates Insurrection Ent-E close in scale to the DST Ent-D, or the Ent-E even?

The self-lit paint is a great idea, I'd love to see a company try that. If a company tries hard enough, they can definitely accomplish things like that. McFarlane's repaint of a Spawn figure serves as the best example (http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2875). Although, I can't see Mattel ever shelling out the money for that sort of devotion, especially when they're far too skimpy on paint already. Of course, even if they did they'd probably be $300 and limited to 100 or so, and you'd have to do some sort of voodoo ritual in order to merely get a ticket to have the potential to get one, and then you'd find that it's flocked in "Kirk" fuzz. :crazed:

The DS9 kitbashes are something quite awful, although I kind of like the Centaur. The Wolf 359 kitbashes faired better, I think, as only a couple of them were ugly as sin.

Darth Windu
07-20-2009, 03:19 AM
I'll agree that those DS9 kitbashes are horrible! Would've been nice if they used the Centaur more (I actually used a MM Excelsior and Reliant to make one of them) and perhaps some of the Wolf 359 ships, like the New Orleans-class.

EDIT: speaking of Ent-D/Ent-E comparisons...
http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/big_ships_lo.jpg

JediTricks
07-20-2009, 01:49 PM
JT, there are indeed torpedo launchers on the Stargazer's struts, they're indicated by the pairs of red rectangular glowy bits.Yes, those on the CGI shown don't exist on the physical model:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:USS_Stargazer.jpg
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:USS_Stargazer,_profile.jpg

Note also that the struts are vastly different from the ones in the CGI, since the ones on the Constellation-class are using model jet plane wings for struts, while that CGI version uses the neck of the Ent Refit.

In regard to scaling, I'm not certain if you have it but is the faux-micromachine Captain's yacht from the Playmates Insurrection Ent-E close in scale to the DST Ent-D, or the Ent-E even?I do have it, but it's not remotely in scale to either, it's far too large since Playmates scaled it up to like 3 times the original. It would have to be 0.88" to be in scale with the Ent-D, (the E is about 10% smaller so you do the math :p). It might fit with the NX-01 and Refit though.

The self-lit paint is a great idea, I'd love to see a company try that. If a company tries hard enough, they can definitely accomplish things like that. McFarlane's repaint of a Spawn figure serves as the best example (http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2875). Although, I can't see Mattel ever shelling out the money for that sort of devotion, especially when they're far too skimpy on paint already. Of course, even if they did they'd probably be $300 and limited to 100 or so, and you'd have to do some sort of voodoo ritual in order to merely get a ticket to have the potential to get one, and then you'd find that it's flocked in "Kirk" fuzz. :crazed:It could be fairly easy, even Hasbro was doing shading-style paint on the SW Comic Pack figures when they first came out. I doubt anybody would do it though, unfortunately.

The DS9 kitbashes are something quite awful, although I kind of like the Centaur. The Wolf 359 kitbashes faired better, I think, as only a couple of them were ugly as sin.The Centaur is the one I think a lot of fans like. It's easier to like it not seeing its gawky detailing. :p Wolf 359 ones are indeed way better, though I haven't seen close-ups of the models, but there was more integrity there for the material I think.

I'll agree that those DS9 kitbashes are horrible! Would've been nice if they used the Centaur more (I actually used a MM Excelsior and Reliant to make one of them) and perhaps some of the Wolf 359 ships, like the New Orleans-class.I don't remember what the New Orleans class looks like, and the Wiki picture is teeny. Any links to a fan-created CGI or anything?

EDIT: speaking of Ent-D/Ent-E comparisons...
http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/big_ships_lo.jpgVery nice! The only thing that looks abundantly CG there is around the D's bussard collectors.

That reminds me, I will try to remember to get photos of the D with the Reliant and E with the Refit today, but it's a busy day.

Darth Duranium
07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
They make the images easy to share too. :thumbsup:
Hadn't seen the TMP Enterprise article yet, that is cool.
M Okuda seems to post there often. The knowledge there is way beyond my capabilities, so I'm just a happy humbled and intrigued lurker. :)

Did find an interesting shot of the bottom half of the Enterprise J that I hadn't seen before:
http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/untitled-150.jpg

That site totally rocks, Blue... awesome find! Talk about getting info from the horse's mouth... wow! Quite the resource for ship collectors.:thumbsup: I'll be lurking around there, too.

Did Okuda work on the new flick or has he been relegated to being an outsider? Anybody know?

I like both the Excelsior and the Ent-B... I think it's impressive... like a deco ocean liner from the 20's... a very nice starship design altogether. Phat, yo.

I think the Ent J is quite interesting in a Hammerhead Shark kind of way... gotta admit it looks pretty strange in that new render. Still, I would love one for the collection.... drool....

Anybody got a shot of the Playmates Captain's Yacht next to a JL or a Furuta or something? I was wondering how big it was...
Another query: are there any other Trek ships or shuttles from Playmates (or elsewhere) that are JL sized? I'm not including the ones we're always talking about (Ertl, JL, Furuta, F-Toys, Romando, Hallmark, MM, HW) but I was curious as to what else is out there as accessories to the big ships.

DW, that Ent D/E comparison pics is my new desktop background... awesome shot. Thanks.

JT, I had a few pics of the Centaur on my HD... attached here. I was thinking about making one (kitbash) in JL scale... it looks fairly easy to do so and it's an elegant design, IMO.

I'm also of the opinion that most Starfleet ship toys should be painted in something close to white, if that's how they generally appear onscreen. Of course, a little variety (Romando dark ships, Corgi Ent D) is nice too...

LTBasker
07-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, those on the CGI shown don't exist on the physical model:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:USS_Stargazer.jpg
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:USS_Stargazer,_profile.jpg

Note also that the struts are vastly different from the ones in the CGI, since the ones on the Constellation-class are using model jet plane wings for struts, while that CGI version uses the neck of the Ent Refit.

The model does seem to have the torp. launchers, but they're much smaller and less "LOOK AT ME!" than the CGI model. Definitely right about the struts, though, I never noticed they were that thin.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/StargazerTorps.jpg

Weirdly, EAS has two drawn pictures from "Star Trek The Magazine" but one is without the torpedo launchers and has thin struts, while the other has huge torpedo launchers and thick struts.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/sfvarious1.htm

Btw, if you scroll down to the bottom of that page there are a few great pics of the Wolf 359 kitbashes.

JediTricks
07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I took 4 quickie photos of the scale of HW ships next to the DST ships (pardon the mess)...
Ent Refit next to the Ent-E:
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/entequarter.jpg/
http://img515.imageshack.us/i/entef.jpg/
Yes, that's proper scale (roughly anyway). I didn't get a great shot of these, but I think this sells them. No camera tricks, that's really how much bigger the Ent-E and Ent-refit. Since they're the same number of desks, they're not significantly different in height (there is a difference, the Ent-E is roughly 130% as tall, that's an eyeball estimate, but it's not unreasonable that with more walking room there would also be more height), but the length and width differences are staggering. The Enterprise refit looks pretty dinky in 3d next to the Ent-E, it reminds me of the end of ST6 except there they know they're using a cheat, that the Excelsior is closer to the viewer than the Ent-A.

Now here's the real show, the Reliant next to the Ent-D:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7478/entdunder.jpg
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7788/entdside.jpg
Seriously, that's the proper scale (again, it's a little rough but still pretty close none the less), THEY ARE THE PROPER SCALE TO EACH OTHER!!! It's mind-blowing to see them in person together, to think that the Reliant shares the nacelles and saucer hull of the Enterprise refit, so the refit must be this size too (slightly longer and taller with the engineering hull, but not significantly different here). No camera tricks, no mistakes, this is how they look together. If the Ent-D showed up on screen in ST2, it'd look like the Borg Cube scenes in TNG. The Ent-D's size difference has only been visually conveyed before as line art drawings from the side or front, but in 3d all that mass from the length AND height AND width difference gives the Ent-D a real sense of "huge" in a way I don't think the show ever could because we didn't get a reference to something we already considered large.

Did Okuda work on the new flick or has he been relegated to being an outsider? Anybody know?He is not credited as working on it, I think they wanted nobody connected to Trek beyond Nimoy with this film.

Anybody got a shot of the Playmates Captain's Yacht next to a JL or a Furuta or something? I was wondering how big it was...I don't have mine out to take a shot, but as I remember it, it's about 1.5x as big as a Micro Machine, so about half the size of a Furuta.

Another query: are there any other Trek ships or shuttles from Playmates (or elsewhere) that are JL sized? I'm not including the ones we're always talking about (Ertl, JL, Furuta, F-Toys, Romando, Hallmark, MM, HW) but I was curious as to what else is out there as accessories to the big ships.Maybe the Galaxy-class that comes with the Playmates Deep Space Nine (I don't have the little ship). Other than that, I can't think of anything, the Strike Force and Innerspace were larger.

JT, I had a few pics of the Centaur on my HD... attached here. I was thinking about making one (kitbash) in JL scale... it looks fairly easy to do so and it's an elegant design, IMO.Thanks. It's not my favorite design seeing that merge of the tech manual drawings and the actual mode and the Miranda-classl, the warp nacelles and pylons are so thin that they become the major feature making the ship look weaker than it is, and they are very wide pylons to boot. But it's interesting enough that I get why folks would like it, I just think a better-thought-out version of that design should have been done at the initial "design" when they just slapped pieces together on the show. :p

I'm also of the opinion that most Starfleet ship toys should be painted in something close to white, if that's how they generally appear onscreen. Of course, a little variety (Romando dark ships, Corgi Ent D) is nice too...That's the point though, none of them appear white on-screen ever. The Ent-Refit looks gray except where it's got self-lighting because of the darker lighting in "space" effects. The Ent-D looks gray or light blue/gray depending on the year the model was photographed, and doesn't have any self-lighting.They NEVER look white in the films though, not even in spacedock, because ILM knew that there weren't light sources close enough to globally illuminate it (the ST5 version has a few scenes where it looks off-white because that was a different, cheaper f/x house).

The model does seem to have the torp. launchers, but they're much smaller and less "LOOK AT ME!" than the CGI model. Definitely right about the struts, though, I never noticed they were that thin.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/StargazerTorps.jpg
Excellent work, good find. I am unsure if those little dots should count though, they are way too small for scale. Compare the ones on the model to the ones on the CGI, the CGI version's photorps are each the size of launchers from that era, while that little dot on the model is small even for a Galaxy-class starship.

Weirdly, EAS has two drawn pictures from "Star Trek The Magazine" but one is without the torpedo launchers and has thin struts, while the other has huge torpedo launchers and thick struts.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/sfvarious1.htm

Btw, if you scroll down to the bottom of that page there are a few great pics of the Wolf 359 kitbashes.Good point about those drawings. The front view is also weird because it seems to put uncolored photorps BEHIND the horizontal bar.

Thanks for the mention on those kitbashes. Good shots of the New Orleans. I don't like those 4-nacelle Excelsior studies at all though, they are very outside the Trek aesthetic. I like the Cheyenne, hadn't seen that before. I don't usually like 4-nacelles but I like the idea of using the underside of the Galaxy-class for the top of the Cheyenne, it suggests there's a different saucer separation going on.

Blue2th
07-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I took 4 quickie photos of the scale of HW ships next to the DST ships (pardon the mess)...
Yes, that's proper scale (roughly anyway). I didn't get a great shot of these, but I think this sells them. No camera tricks, that's really how much bigger the Ent-E and Ent-refit. Since they're the same number of desks, they're not significantly different in height (there is a difference, the Ent-E is roughly 130% as tall, that's an eyeball estimate, but it's not unreasonable that with more walking room there would also be more height), but the length and width differences are staggering. The Enterprise refit looks pretty dinky in 3d next to the Ent-E, it reminds me of the end of ST6 except there they know they're using a cheat, that the Excelsior is closer to the viewer than the Ent-A.

Seriously, that's the proper scale (again, it's a little rough but still pretty close none the less), THEY ARE THE PROPER SCALE TO EACH OTHER!!! It's mind-blowing to see them in person together, to think that the Reliant shares the nacelles and saucer hull of the Enterprise refit, so the refit must be this size too (slightly longer and taller with the engineering hull, but not significantly different here). No camera tricks, no mistakes, this is how they look together. If the Ent-D showed up on screen in ST2, it'd look like the Borg Cube scenes in TNG. The Ent-D's size difference has only been visually conveyed before as line art drawings from the side or front, but in 3d all that mass from the length AND height AND width difference gives the Ent-D a real sense of "huge" in a way I don't think the show ever could because we didn't get a reference to something we already considered large.

I'm thinking of when the Bozeman ran into the Enterprise D in Cause and effect it was a Soyuz class which was a modified Miranda class, but it was much bigger, and closer to the size of the Enterprise. You didn't get to see the size comparison till it hit the D's nacelle.

I think that was a case of fudging the scales again, because it couldn't have been anywhere near the size of the Enterprise D.

I saw the D at Hastings for $39, so I'll be picking that up soon. Very nice up close.
I did finally buy a HW BOP today though at Target. I'll probably end up getting at least the HW Reliant.

Darth Windu
07-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Well with the Ent-D in TNG, they fudged the scale that many times it's not funny - even the Excelsior and Oberth class ships look nearly the same size as the -D.

Oh with the kitbashes and whatnot, anyone else think that the Voyager study model should've been used as a new class? She doesn't look as good as Voyager, but very nice regardless.

This one:
http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/images/dv-8.jpg

LTBasker
07-21-2009, 12:07 AM
The Soyuz seems about right, actually. It's kinda hard to tell because of the weird camera angle they went with.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/GalSoyCompare.jpg

Thanks for posting those, those are some great displays going on! I really need to grab the Ent-D. >_<

Excellent work, good find. I am unsure if those little dots should count though, they are way too small for scale. Compare the ones on the model to the ones on the CGI, the CGI version's photorps are each the size of launchers from that era, while that little dot on the model is small even for a Galaxy-class starship.

Good point about those drawings. The front view is also weird because it seems to put uncolored photorps BEHIND the horizontal bar.

Thanks. Unfortunately, it seems to be cursed to vary everytime a new person takes a shot at it. In regard to the actual model, maybe the people in charge of the model didn't intend them to be torpedo launchers despite using the housings, and that's why they went with the horribly underscaled versions?

I like the Cheyenne, hadn't seen that before. I don't usually like 4-nacelles but I like the idea of using the underside of the Galaxy-class for the top of the Cheyenne, it suggests there's a different saucer separation going on.

Yeah, the Cheyanne is great looking. I'm really fond of the unique nacelles they made for it, and I think the Galaxy neck was also used for the underside. I never considered the saucer separation possibility before, but it would look pretty cool I think.

Darth Duranium
07-21-2009, 12:59 AM
That's the point though, none of them appear white on-screen ever. The Ent-Refit looks gray except where it's got self-lighting because of the darker lighting in "space" effects. The Ent-D looks gray or light blue/gray depending on the year the model was photographed, and doesn't have any self-lighting.They NEVER look white in the films though, not even in spacedock, because ILM knew that there weren't light sources close enough to globally illuminate it (the ST5 version has a few scenes where it looks off-white because that was a different, cheaper f/x house)

Gotta disagree on that point... I think Starfleet ships ARE generally white on screen (admittedly off-whites ranging into greys, yellows, blue tones etc.) but overwhelmingly closer to white than blue or any other colour, IMHO.

The good guys wear white.;)

You'd probably want to tone down the shooting model's paint to as close to 18% grey (as possible) for even lighting and exposure... but ships like the Refit look mostly-white when lit and filtered onscreen... to me at least.

Hell, the TOS Ent looked pretty damn white on the (unremastered) show... I doubt many people would say grey.

Spectre o'the Phaser
07-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Gotta disagree on that point... I think Starfleet ships ARE generally white on screen (admittedly off-whites ranging into greys, yellows, blue tones etc.) but overwhelmingly closer to white than blue or any other colour, IMHO.

The good guys wear white.;)

You'd probably want to tone down the shooting model's paint to as close to 18% grey (as possible) for even lighting and exposure... but ships like the Refit look mostly-white when lit and filtered onscreen... to me at least.

Hell, the TOS Ent looked pretty damn white on the (unremastered) show... I doubt many people would say grey.

Yes, I agree, DT. All the Ents (w/ the exception of the NX-01) always looked to me as if they were pretty much WHITE. That's why I was so shocked to see evidence of the "official" color of TOS Ent to be similar to a battleship grey.

My brain subconsciously (had to spellcheck that dang word) compensates for that which my eye records; a white ship in space with little illumination other than its own and that of distant stars will certainly look predominantly greyish where its own light source is not flooding it directly. And by the same token, were it grey, it would look very dark grey. My brain then translates this to be: this thing must be as white as my freshly laundered... well, whities (that'd be, knickers to DT).

Ant BTW, a Bandai Voyager just sold on Ebay for 320 clams.

Blue2th
07-21-2009, 02:46 PM
The Soyuz seems about right, actually. It's kinda hard to tell because of the weird camera angle they went with.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/GalSoyCompare.jpg

Nice link. Was trying to find a profile pic.

I want one of those! It's also mentioned in Generations.
Wonder if Kelsey Grammer was still at the helm?

They made it out of a smaller Reliant model:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Soyuz_class

Darth Windu
07-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Nice link. Was trying to find a profile pic.

I want one of those! It's also mentioned in Generations.
Wonder if Kelsey Grammer was still at the helm?

They made it out of a smaller Reliant model:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Soyuz_class
Actually it was mentioned in First Contact, the Defiant and Bozeman fell back to Mobile Position 1 :D

Blue2th
07-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Actually it was mentioned in First Contact, the Defiant and Bozeman fell back to Mobile Position 1 :D

Mentioned again in Generations as having to make a course correction due to the ribbon experiment.
Also is mentioned in All good things too, but I'm not sure where.

Popular ship to mention. :yes:

I wonder if anyone has tried to kit-bash this one out of a Reliant?

Darth Windu
07-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Mentioned again in Generations as having to make a course correction due to the ribbon experiment.
Also is mentioned in All good things too, but I'm not sure where.

Popular ship to mention. :yes:
Ah touche my good man :)

If I remember correctly, there was a ST book that claimed that the Bozeman mentioned in FC was actually a Sabre-class ship named for the old, retired Soyuz-class ship. Just one of the many things in the ST books I disagree with.

LTBasker
07-22-2009, 03:25 PM
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Bozeman

That should help. :D

Blue2th
07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Hot Wheels and Corgi BOP's: