PDA

View Full Version : Toy Collections' Values Tank as Recession Causes Fire-Sales

Tycho
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
This article is from San Diego's Union-Tribune:

To summarize, it suggests how worthless our Star Wars collections are using Hot Wheels as the example. (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/mar/16/1n16collect21250-sentiment-sale-what-its-worth/?zIndex=67529) The article also addresses comic books and Disney stuff, too.

Fortunately, I wanted to make dioramas to "commemorate" the Star Wars fantasies I've loved since I was a child. I never "invested" in the Star Wars products thinking it'd be worth something (like the vintage years' items). But I remember that craze when there were crowds in front of the stores before they opened and scalpers rushed to get "VHTF" items.

However, if you can hang on to your stuff in these difficult times and you want it all to have monetary value, it may one day return to that.

What hurts me actually is that when I was hospitalized (the first time in 2005 when I had an aneurysm burst in my brain) all my things were put into storage and I still have no idea if I retained everything. I may be missing out on replacing items at a bargain, but first I need a bigger home in order to sort everything out. But that too might be purchased at a bargain right now (but not with money from the sale of most collectibles).

pbarnard
03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I never got the selling off of one's collection to get money, only to buy it back later piecemeal. You'll rarely get what you paid, and you really haven't solved any thing either. The worst thing about the 90s, they said anything and everything could be valuable one day. That's if and only if you're the only one to have something, if 1000s of others have it too, it's not ever going to raise in price.

LTBasker
03-16-2009, 03:33 PM
When DC Universe wave 5 goes down to under $100 for a set of 5, then I'll believe that the recession has effected toy collectors. :p

Beast
03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Anyone buying for investment needs a kick in the head or the butt. Or most likely both.

TeeEye7
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
A pox on the monetary value of a collection!

The SW collection under my roof is a family collection and valued for it's sentimental content, not the $. There's almost always a story attached to every piece, and that's the fun of it!

After all: it's just plastic, kiddies!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Anyone buying for investment needs a kick in the head or the butt. Or most likely both.
Exactly. Buy these things because they're fun and you like them, not because you think you're going to make a fortune on them. (Hint: you're not.)

Beast
03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Exactly. Buy these things because they're fun and you like them, not because you think you're going to make a fortune on them. (Hint: you're not.)
Bingo. It's the 90's era of comics all over again.

LTBasker
03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, there are "toys" that you can buy that can potentially be a worthwhile investment, such as Sideshow's 12", exclusive Hot Wheels and some things that collector-oriented companies such as DC Direct make. However, if it can be found at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target or Toys R Us, then you best hope that the molds are destroyed in a factory fire if you want a significant return.

Then again, the Robin Dragster isn't exactly a hot item...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-16-2009, 11:39 PM
For me, anyway, that's just as stupid. These toys and collectibes are meant to be enjoyed by people just for what they are and not what they could be - put them on display, play with them, admire them, but don't buy them because you think they're going to put your kids through college. If you happen to have something that later turns out to be valuable, then that's just icing on the cake. I just don't think "toys" and "worthwhile investment" should really be used in the same sentence. If you buy something thinking it's going to be a goldmine years from now, just realize that there are at least hundreds of other people doing the same.

bobafrett
03-17-2009, 05:21 AM
My son tells me that when I die, if he has the money, he is going to bury me in a mousoleum (sp?) with my collection. He says he wouldn't want to sell my figures etc., but I think even if he were able to get something for the collection, it would be better than putting it in a big coffin. What the heck am I going to do with it, I'll be dead.

Tycho
03-17-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't want to be buried. I want to be cremated (hopefully I can have this done out in the open, like Qui-Gon or Darth Vader's funeral). But nevertheless, I want to be burned up while surrounded by thousands of Mouse Droids!

Slicker
03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I rarely bought anything in my collection for it's worth. That's not to say that I haven't gotten things because they are rare. I recall that I managed to find several R2 with holo Leia's and I bought all of them only to give them to other people at cost. If it's tough to find I'll grab it for others that may have no luck.

When I die I'd like for people to get my collection much like when VT and R2 passed. Give it to collectors and don't sell it.