PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Channel changes name to "SyFy"

JediTricks
03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/business/media/16adcol.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1237165200-yH6NwYCOt3vBQQSizTAc6A

Ugh, does that have the mark of suck about it! They think this is a Myspace-style branding, but it speaks to nothing, it's very Stypid. I guess they think by taking out the "science" and the "fiction", they can air more wrestling and Grade-F horror flicks while canceling actual sci-fi shows left and right. But at least they have an incredibly crappy logo! That'll help dissuade viewers from abandoning ship left and right. At least this new spelling will make it easy to say "Bye Bye" to "SyFy" (Copyright 2009 JediTricks).

Thoughts?

mtriv73
03-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I don't care what they call themselves. With Battlestar ending friday and the season premier of Eureka being continually pushed back, I may never watch the channel again after this week.

pbarnard
03-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, nothing says modern and cool like guys named Sy or Cy....I'm thinking chest hair like a rug with a gold chain medallion, basically Bob from That 70s Show.

Well we all know what F & Y really stand for.

LTBasker
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. Simply because it doesn't change anything at all, you still hate the "Sci/y Fi/y" channel, only now saying the name will leave a bad taste in your mouth. That taste being of a horrible cheesiness that was made by daft people attempting to get away from the entire point of the channel, showing that they truly have no idea what they are running.

And can you imagine someone stumbling across it that has no knowledge of the change? They're going to look at the logo and wonder, "what the hell is siffy?"

I suggest they rename themselves "etc." What little original programming they have left has become incredibly unoriginal or just ridiculous, their original movies have never worked, and they simply show what very few or nobody else wants to show. They are not a serious channel anymore, they are simply excess.

In fact, this whole thing has almost made me feel bad for ragging on TNN when they wanted to change their name to "Spike." Almost.

DarthQuack
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Bring back Tremors: The Series. :lipsrsealed:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I haven't watched in quite a while. I missed when the second half of season 3 of BSG started, so I haven't watched that show since then. I think I watched most or all of the first season of Eureka, but then missed out when it came back.

It was cool when we finally got cable back in 1997 and I was able to watch some old shows that I watched when I was a kid, like the original BSG, and The Six Million Dollar Man. I also caught a few episodes of MST3K. I used to watch most of their Friday programming - Farscape, First Wave, Invisible Man, Lexx and The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne. I probably would've watched all the Stargate series when it shifted to the channel, but I hadn't been watching it before that, so I didn't really get into it.

There were a lot of movies or mini-series that they showed that I was kind of interested in, but never actually watched. A lot of the programming was horror flicks and monster movies. The latter are the type of things I might have liked a lot more when I was a kid, things like dinosaur movies or giant mutant bugs or animals or some such thing.

What I wish is that there was a channel that could air quality sci-fi series and give them the time to tell their stories. Instead, these shows end up on Fox or one the other networks and get cancelled after a season or less and we don't get to find out how it ends. Firefly, John Doe, Nowhere Man, The Visitor, and Threshold are a few that I was into. I even watched these two short lived UPN shows called Level 9 and Freedom.

sith_killer_99
03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
One big advantage of the name change, the executives say, is that Sci Fi is vague — so generic, in fact, that it could not be trademarked. Syfy, with its unusual spelling, can be, which is also why diapers are called Luvs, an online video Web site is called Joost and a toothpaste is called Gleem.

“We couldn’t own Sci Fi; it’s a genre,” said Bonnie Hammer, the former president of Sci Fi who became the president of NBC Universal Cable Entertainment and Universal Cable Productions. “But we can own Syfy.”

Congratulations...you own a turd!:rolleyes:

Fail!

Syfy (pronounced siffy...like skippy...which is also brown in color).

Maerj2000
03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Bonnie Hammer should have been aborted when she got rid of Farscape and brought us ECW Wrestling and Passions. The people in charge of SyFy Channel know NOTHING about science fiction and HATE science fiction fans, so maybe its appropriate they change the name.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Same thing with G4 when they started showing Cops, Fastlane and The Man Show. I just like Attack of the Show, but it's rarely on when I want to watch it except during the summer when nothing else is on.

Blue2th
03-16-2009, 11:05 PM
You mean they don't call it Gee-4?

This is about stupid.
Just my fitty cents. :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
03-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Bonnie Hammer should have been aborted when she got rid of Farscape and brought us ECW Wrestling and Passions. The people in charge of SyFy Channel know NOTHING about science fiction and HATE science fiction fans, so maybe its appropriate they change the name.

ECW is about the dumbest thing on that network! I don't understand that decision in the least. Unless these people are geeks who are dressed up as sci-fi con attendees in costume and wrestling each other, it has NOTHING to do with the genre!!

Passions, for as stupid as it is, at least has some element of fantasy and wizardry about it. Now, mind you, I'm not championing the show, 'cos it's a complete piece of snozzleboggy, but... :mad:

LusiferSam
03-17-2009, 03:35 PM
If they had to change the name they should have at least changed it to something geeky like Psi Phi using the Greek letters.

pbarnard
03-17-2009, 03:44 PM
If they had to change the name they should have at least changed it to something geeky like Psi Phi using the Greek letters.

That would've been clever. Since this change was made by marketing and studio executives, we know that this paradox could never occur.

JediTricks
03-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Hmm, I'm getting the sense that there isn't much support for this change. :p

sith_killer_99
03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm getting the sense that there isn't much support for this change. :p

Funny, I thought Americans wanted change in 2009!:p;):D

I joke I joke, I kid I kid.

morpheus282
03-17-2009, 08:13 PM
That would've been clever. Since this change was made by marketing and studio executives, we know that this paradox could never occur.

The marketing department will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

El Chuxter
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
History
Discovery
The Learning Channel
MTV (Music Television)
VH1 (Video Hits One)
Cartoon Network
Headline News
The Weather Channel
and now SciFi

So, how long until all these channels that don't air programming that matches what they supposedly are all about simply change their names to TBS Superstation 2, TBS Superstation 3, etc?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-17-2009, 10:31 PM
So, how long until all these channels that don't air programming that matches what they supposedly are all about simply change their names to TBS Superstation 2, TBS Superstation 3, etc?
Probably a while, since TBS hasn't had the "Superstation" name for at least five years.

El Chuxter
03-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Then that should show you how often I watch that station.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Probably a while, since TBS hasn't had the "Superstation" name for at least five years.

Perhaps they could change their name to IBS.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm just glad that BSG is ending and won't have to fall under the banner of such a gay name. That was the only show I watched on that there and I will not be viewing the soap opera they intend to call Caprica. RIP Sci-Fi Network.

LTBasker
03-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah... I'm hoping Stargate Universe gets tossed to another network or canceled, either way is fine. I just don't want to support siffy.

JediTricks
03-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Siffy definitely seems to be a real hit with fans so far, and I'm not remotely surprised, there's good reason to be distrustful of these clowns. Caprica's sneak preview on Friday looked embarrassingly soap-opera-ish.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Caprica's sneak preview on Friday looked embarrassingly soap-opera-ish.

Yeah I wasn't buying it. They should have went with their orginial plan of the first Cylon war with a young Adama and Tigh.

JediTricks
04-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Sadly, that was only a rumor and never actually their original plan. The show was conceived originally without a BSG connection.

JediTricks
07-10-2009, 06:25 PM
They officially unwrapped this turd sandwich on Tuesday, and it looks ludicrous and kinda femme.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I watched the premier of Warehouse 13. It was kind of interesting. Whether I will remember to watch it remains to be seen. I liked Eureka, but forgot about it and stopped watching. Same thing happened with BSG when the second half of season 3 started, so I never watched the rest of that. If I had been watching Stargate before it moved to Sci-Fi, I might have watched all of those as well.

Blue2th
07-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Now they can show more WWF and women's programming, because SyFy, we don't know what that means. :rolleyes: It does have a feminine ring to it (Oxy-gen)

This is so they can branch out into other genres right?

I'd rather have the cheezy monster of the week.
Bring back creepy creature features with a host.
I just don't think they really committed to the Science Fiction genre 100% like they could have.

So many movies and shows from the past they could have re-run.

Doesn't NBC own SyFy now?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Where's season 3 of Who Wants to Be a Superhero?? That'd be the only reason I'd check them out anymore.

And should this thread be moved to the TyVy section here at SSG?

JediTricks
07-10-2009, 10:57 PM
I watched the premier of Warehouse 13. It was kind of interesting. Whether I will remember to watch it remains to be seen. I liked Eureka, but forgot about it and stopped watching. Same thing happened with BSG when the second half of season 3 started, so I never watched the rest of that. If I had been watching Stargate before it moved to Sci-Fi, I might have watched all of those as well.Eureka starts tonight, actually.

I also watched Warehouse 13, felt it was cute but pretty generic and probably not going to stick in my schedule. Too light on the science fiction and too heavy on the standard shows on the channel lately, very telling of Siffy's change.

Where's season 3 of Who Wants to Be a Superhero?? That'd be the only reason I'd check them out anymore.

And should this thread be moved to the TyVy section here at SSG?I guess, but it seems like a corporate mistake first and foremost. I'm too lazy to move it, someone else can if they wish.