PDA

View Full Version : Y29 Baseball for the Wii - great game!

Tycho
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
As a ball player for over 10 years of my life, I loved playing video baseball games as a child. Remember Intellivision?

I rented Y29 Major League Baseball or whatever it's called (a San Francisco Giant is on the cover).

You can play as and against any 2009 team in the stadium of your choosing. You can play as the home or visiting team, and stay with your team and play out a season! They use the real stats and images of the current starting lineups of the players and your performance on the field is helped by your players' statistical ratings. You can even order up scouting reports on the opposition so that your catcher can signal how to pitch to each individual.

I will definitely be buying this game.

Oh - and you can set the weather conditions (within reason - I couldn't make it snow in San Diego's PetCo Park but I'm sure that option is available for Wrigley Field) and you can schedule a daytime or night time game, too.

Hint: set the wind to carry your homeruns out of the ballpark - however your rival out on the field can benefit from this too.

Tycho
03-30-2009, 08:53 AM
I think I'm going to haul off and buy this, Lego Indiana Jones, and Tiger Woods' golf.

I liked having them when I was renting and I want to continue playing these games now.

I suck at the video baseball game, but I'll get better. And playing a friend is probably much easier than playing the Wii.

Tycho
04-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I still suck. I'm playing as the Padres (who also are predicted to suck this year) and we're in the real 2009 season now and the Dodgers are kicking my butt!

I just REALLY got killed! On top of it, I'd adjusted the game settings to make my whole team like "superman." (Well, I made the adjustment after I was already badly losing in the 6th Inning.)

Anyway, I'll erase my bad record once I get some practice in.

Hitting is the hard part. It's really hard to judge the ball coming toward you in a video game! I played baseball (on a real field) for more than 10 years - probably nearly 18 years in total. And I wasn't a bad hitter. But here I can't seem to catch a break with the Wii.

However, I've learned to pitch and field very well. I substitute pitchers when my guy on the mound is obviously getting tired, and so on.

But this game is hard to win even 1 game, let alone your division. I'm behind when compared with the real season, and have to finish the series with the Dodgers and I've the whole series against the Giants to then catch up with (the Pads finish it tomorrow in real life).

Tycho
04-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Adrian Gonzalez hit a 2-run homer for me (against the Dodgers)!!!

This time I only lost 16-2 (yeah those were the only 2 runs I scored) :(

But I'm getting better. Aren't I? I only lost by 14 runs instead of 28 or 32 like times previously.

Tycho
04-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Adrian Gonzalez hit a 2-run homer for me (against the Dodgers)!!!

This time I only lost 16-2 (yeah those were the only 2 runs I scored) :(

But I'm getting better. Aren't I? I only lost by 14 runs instead of 28 or 32 like times previously.

: The next time I only lost by 6, but it was a shut-out (Dodgers 6, Padres 0). However, I had almost exactly the same number as hits (12) as the Dodgers did (13). I just left a lot of baserunners stranded. :(

Also I found that I can trick the Wii by moving my batter's intended contact point quickly around the strike zone once a pitcher has begun his delivery. The default for the computer is to just give me the hit. Considering I am playing with the Padres the way they were predicted to do this year, I think that's fair and not even cheating.

Fortunately, as I type this, the Padres are leading the National League West in [U]real life, with 5 wins and 2 losses.

Tycho
04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
As I continue to talk to myself in this thread, I am (as the Padres) like 0-10.

The game is certainly tough as when it was programmed, my hometown team was not expected to do as well as they have been.

I also cannot get anywhere with Jake Peavy pitching, unlike in real life where he's the Padres' best starter. However, in the last game I played, every one of my pitchers - Peavy, and Adams and Britton who I had as relievers) all got base hits. Go figure. None of them could pitch though (well Adams and Britton improved a lot. I had to get Peavy out of there because the Phillies were getting hits off him.

Oh, I lost 0-7 but 4 of Philadelphia's runs were from one-run homers hit off Peavy when he tired.

The game's AI adapts with your performance. I have to get Peavy's ERA down and he'll play better. I can't wait to finish with the Phillies and move on to the Pirates. I might finally win one.

Tycho
04-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I only lost to the Pirates by 2 runs - and I wasn't shut out either: 3-1 final score. (I pitched Chris Young).

In reality, the Padres beat the Pirates last night by 1 run, final score being 4-3. Heath Bell could only hold them in the 9th, the game went 12 innings (in real life).

Catcher Nick Hundley caught a bunt that flipped backwards right into his glove. I don't think he even had time to stand up before he made the out! (real game).

Adrian Gonzales hurt his finger off a line drive batted to first that bounced out of his glove it was hit so hard (it then hits his unprotected throwing hand). I hope he plays tonight when I'm going to the game.

Tycho
05-03-2009, 12:27 AM
I only lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers by 2 runs this time!!!

4-2 LA (I play the Padres)

My game and my players batting averages and pitchers' ERAs have improved tremendously, and I'm making a lot more DPs and good fielders' choices. I also picked off 2 Dodgers trying to steal 3rd base on me. Don't mess with Jake Peavy! (But actually Chris Young throws even better for me and I'm pitching him next game.)

El Chuxter
05-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Not exactly the same, but Costco has Backyard Baseball 2K10 (a more kid-friendly game, so I figure Mrs Chux and I will probably enjoy it) for $18.99 after an instant rebate. Funny, I considered about four days ago getting last year's version on clearance at Target for $13.

Tycho
06-12-2009, 04:10 AM
I WON! I FINALLY WON!!!

I beat the San Francisco Giants 2-1 using my San Diego Padres!

Of course I went and recovered Trevor Hoffman from the Brewers and while he was on the mound for my team, absolutely NO runs scored whatsoever!

The Giants only run was a homerun that my outfielders couldn't catch.

I filled the bases and worked my hits to move my men around and didn't rely on a single homerun. In fact, that's what Adrian Gonzales hit: base hits and nothing heroic.

Anyway, I started Chris Young, used Trevor Hoffman as a middle reliever, and used Cla Meredith as my closer. That left the Giants unable to score.

I'm really proud of myself as you can tell. I've had this video game since March and I finally won my first game in June.

Tycho
08-11-2009, 05:05 AM
I and my SAN DIEGO PADRES finally beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3, completing a 6-MONTH quest to defeat this team in exciting video game action!

DOWN WITH L.A. !!!

Yes! Finally!

I used Chris Young as my starting pitcher and Wade LeBlanc as my closer (who I actually list as one of my starters, but I had to pitch him anyway to keep my fragile lead which I saw go from 4-1 to 4-3 and was making me very nervous).

Of course I also still had Trevor Hoffman on "my" San Diego Padres and Scott Hairston who hit a homerun. Adrian Gonzales also hit a homer of course.

Now the only teams I haven't defeated so far are the Philedelphia Phillies and the New York Mets. They're going to be very hard. But in real life, I just saw my Padres defeat the Mets SEVERAL TIMES, live! It can be done.

Tycho
08-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I BEAT L.A. again!!!

This time I used Jake Peavy as my starter vs. L.A.'s Stulz - he gave up most of my 6 runs to me, too. I won 6-5 as my pitchers started to struggle but I kept switching them on L.A. so they couldn't adjust.

My pitchers were Peavy, Hoffman, Mujica, and Richard (granted some Padres of the past and some of the future (for this was the May 3rd game against the Dodgers that I recreated - I don't save my season scores unless something makes them worthwhile (E.R.A. or O.B.P. for my hitters, whatever).

With my win of the series against the Dodgers, I knocked them out of first place and Colorado's moved in. I actually face Colorado next (May 4, 5th games) and then I host Arizona.

If I can put down the Rockies, San Francisco will slip into 1st place. But I've beaten them before. BTW: it will take a long time before I can move out of last place even with these wins behind me. I'm 5-20 right now, but I'm adjusting my strategies like by using Heath Bell as a starter instead of a closer.