PDA

View Full Version : star wars on blu ray?

Darth Nobody
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Why is it that GL seems to always be on the cutting edge of technology, eexcept for our home viewing pleasure. He was a long hold out on just getting Star Wars to DVD, now that Blu-Ray is the High Def champion we get no love from him.

sith_killer_99
03-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I already own Star Wars on blu-ray!

Star Wars: The Clone Wars!:yes:;)

plasticfetish
03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Why is it that GL seems to always be on the cutting edge of technology, eexcept for our home viewing pleasure. He was a long hold out on just getting Star Wars to DVD, now that Blu-Ray is the High Def champion we get no love from him.You know... it's because he's not just "all about the money" like so many other Hollywood film makers. He's not the kind of guy that'll pump out version after version of his masterpiece films. He wants to wait... 'til the time is just right. He's got integrity.

Oh, and... :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
03-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Why is it that GL seems to always be on the cutting edge of technology, eexcept for our home viewing pleasure. He was a long hold out on just getting Star Wars to DVD, now that Blu-Ray is the High Def champion we get no love from him.

Yet, Blu-Ray sales are still quite low 'cos the industry doesn't know what to do with it. As a matter of fact, Blu-Ray sales dropped even more after the DVD industry decided a way to push Blu-Ray sales was by lowering the price of standard DVDs. Oh, that's brilliant! How about lowering the price of Blu-Ray DVDs, idiots??!!!!!

Rocketboy
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Yet, Blu-Ray sales are still quite low 'cos the industry doesn't know what to do with it. As a matter of fact, Blu-Ray sales dropped even more after the DVD industry decided a way to push Blu-Ray sales was by lowering the price of standard DVDs. Oh, that's brilliant! How about lowering the price of Blu-Ray DVDs, idiots??!!!!!Exactly why I haven't taken the Blu-Ray plunge. Why pay $30+ for a movie I can get it for half that (or less) on DVD?
The super picture doesn't really matter to me right now.

El Chuxter
03-24-2009, 01:23 PM
There's also the one-two punch of everyone knowing it'll be obsolete within five years, and everyone having recently invested a lot of money in DVDs.

JEDIpartner
03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Exactly why I haven't taken the Blu-Ray plunge. Why pay $30+ for a movie I can get it for half that (or less) on DVD?
The super picture doesn't really matter to me right now.

Exactly! My LCD DLP set produces an amazing picture even with a standard DVD!!!

Despite the fact that the Blu-Ray has won out, the industry still has reservations about this format and it is generally regarded as a "successful failure". Unless things pick up on their own, they are going to have to revamp their whole plan on getting people interested.

DarkArtist
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
i think we are a long way off from seeing the Saga on blu-ray.... i mean all the tweaks and twists that Lucas can put into the movies to make us buy them again have not been finished yet, i mean there's the whole back story of Jar Jar that still needs to be shot, and the redo of redo of redo's where Padme is really still alive and living in the ewok village at the end of Jedi and that the Padme that died in ROTS was really a clone........

on a serious note, i think that if Lucas does decide to release the Saga on blu-ray then he should tweak it to include the lost scenes from Tatoonie with Luke and Biggs, maybe some of the deleted scences from Jedi and Empire...... (also since i posted this in the Clone Wars section....I think Lucas should also give the fans perhaps the Saga re-envisioned in the CG format of the Clone Wars and possible give us as a bonus some EU CG storyline of the events between the movies and maybe after ROTJ)

JON9000
03-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh, that's brilliant! How about lowering the price of Blu-Ray DVDs, idiots??!!!!!

If you shop on amazon.com, Blu-rays can be had at very reasonable prices- $10-$16 when on sale. Get up to super saver shipping and the lack of tax makes them attractive buys. Some are as cheap as $10 a Sams Club- that's how I got Clockwork Orange.

Beast
03-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Look how long before Lucas finally released Star Wars on DVD.

It's not a surprise it's not out yet on Blu-Ray. Though I think by comparison it will be out sooner on BLU that it was on DVD. Especially since he's already tested the waters with Clone Wars and Indy IV. The Indy Trilogy is coming later this year, and the 1st season of Clone Wars. I'd expect SW in the next couple years.

JEDIpartner
03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
If you shop on amazon.com, Blu-rays can be had at very reasonable prices- $10-$16 when on sale. Get up to super saver shipping and the lack of tax makes them attractive buys. Some are as cheap as $10 a Sams Club- that's how I got Clockwork Orange.

While that's great, it's not like that in the general marketplace. That's where most people pick up DVDs on impulse.

Ji'dai
03-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I've noticed that WM has a small selection of Blu-rays for $15 now. I keep eyeing The Mummy and The Mummy Returns every time I go there.

The only way I'd buy SW on Blu-ray is if Lucasfilm bundles the complete EWOKS and DROIDS series along with it.

sith_killer_99
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
WOW, you people pay $30.00 for a blu-ray disc?

I usually just buy mine from the pawn shops for $7-$10 each.:yes:

I use my Netflix account to have blu-ray discs mailed to me to watch on my home players, if I really like the movie and want it on blu-ray I wait until the price comes down, or it shows up at a pawn shop, or I just re-rent it from Netflix.:D

JON9000
03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Of course, I'd buy SW the minute it comes out on BLU. And let me just say, as nice as the older movies can look now, when the IMAX shots come on in THE DARK KNIGHT, it looks brilliant. Not quite the quantum leap from VHS to DVD, but close.

I use the PS3. Sure, there aren't any good games (I'm sure I'll like RE5, tho), but the discs look awesome.