PDA

View Full Version : Why, God, why?

El Chuxter
03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Why do You allow such evils to occur?

From Yahoo!:

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk.

MGM and the Farrelly brothers are finally slapping together their high-profile cast for "The Three Stooges," a comedy project the filmmakers have been developing for years. Sean Penn is set to play Larry, and Jim Carrey is in negotiations to play Curly. Benicio del Toro is a rumored possibility for the brothers' taciturn leader, Moe.

The studio is looking to start production in the fall for a 2010 release slot.

The project was originally set up at Columbia, which produced the 1930s Stooges shorts. C3 Entertainment Inc., which holds the licensing rights to the Stooges brand, then sold the feature rights to Warner Bros. in 2001 for the Farrellys to write and produce the movie. Eventually, Warner Bros. let the rights lapse and MGM's Mary Parent scooped them up along with the Farrellys' continuing participation.

Peter and Bobby Farrelly wrote the script, which Bobby has referenced as "Dumb, Dumber & Dumbest," and will produce with Bradley Thomas and Charlie Wessler. Earl and Robert Benjamin of C3 will executive produce.

The film is not a biopic but a fictional treatment that maintains the Stooges' gleeful slap schtick updated for a modern milieu.

Originally constructed as four separate shorts, the feature screenplay has since been streamlined into a single narrative. Included in the story line is an opening that shows the Stooges as kids in an orphanage, a device that will require some "Benjamin Button"-style visual trickery to place the adult actors' heads on child actors' bodies.

The Stooges maintain remarkably global brand recognition, and their shorts, films and cartoons are still broadcast in 30 countries. The Farrelly brothers' latest comedy "The Heartbreak Kid" grossed $124 million worldwide.
This is an affront to all that is good in the world. The Farrellys have just declared war on humanity. I am hereby boycotting any films from Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro to make a statement to these two that their talents are better used for purposes other than the utter destruction of life as we know it. I won't say I'm boycotting Carrey and the Farrellys; I haven't had the desire to watch a new movie by either in ages.

Really, what's next, I Love Lucy: The Movie, starring Eva Longoria and Ryan Reynolds? No, I shouldn't say that; some idiot from a studio might be reading this and think it's a good idea!

TeeEye7
03-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I heard this on Bob&Tom coming home from work this morning. I was thinking it was an early April Fools' day joke by them. But is wasn't.

I'm still digesting this. I don't really have a formed reaction yet.

I love the Stooges. I agree with Chux that this project must proceed with reverence and respect not only for Larry, Moe, and Curly but especially for the fans. Although their humor is classic, woven in between is some useful wisdom. I use the episode Disorder in the Court when I teach our new little cadets in our Academy. In spite of the mayhem, there is a lesson in there that the kiddies "get".

Proceed with caution Brothers Farrelly! You're treading on thin ice if this isn't done correctly! The Stooges are a national treasure!

It remains to be seen.......

DarkArtist
03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
OMG.... i hope that is an early April Fools Joke, that casting is hidious...... Jim Carrey as Curly are you kidding me....I surprised they didn't ask Kevin James to play the part.

I liked Mel Gibson's version of the backstory of the stooges. thought that the actors really captured the feeling of the stooges and really protrayed them well. the movie actually made me cry a few times.

pbarnard
03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Is it possible to get an 8lb sledge hammer to the nuts, over and over, out of respect for what is crashing down around us? That and its probably the only thing that would make me want to see this.

Now if this was a biopic of their lives, than fine, go ahead. But to remake it, I'm ready, swing away!

preacher
03-26-2009, 12:19 PM
No. No. No. No. When will hollywood actually start making original stories? I love the depravity of the Farley brothers movies, but this ensemble cast is just bad. Benicio as Moe?! He was great in Snatch, but a Moe he is not. Sean Penn, even though I've never cared for his stuff, is the most likely to be able to pull off.

Carrey as Curley. Ummm. No. I got sick of Carrey about five movies ago. I could probably think of a worse cast, but it would take me awhile.

Pb, these execs are already kicking fans in the nuts.

The stooges are as sacred as mom and apple pie. You don't mess with classics.

Count me out.

Carrey as Curley indeed.

JimJamBonds
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Worst movie ever!

JediTricks
03-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Such a bad idea. Then again, I loved "Brain Donors", it worked out great as a modern extension of the Marx Bros. material. That cast wasn't as out-there as this, though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Oh my sweet ****ing Christ . . . this is just wrong. There was a good made-for-TV biopic about them back in 2000, but the only times the actors did the humor was in the recreations of the shorts to be shown in theater scenes or whatever. This is just all so wrong, from conception to the crew to the cast.

JediTricks
03-27-2009, 01:42 PM
The only good thing is that it doesn't involve Mel Gibson. :p

Snowtrooper
03-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Even if by some miracle they managed to make a good movie, it will never be as good as the original. This is just a horrible idea. Hollywood is absolutely bankrupt when it comes to new ideas.

Larry, Moe, & Curly are rolling over in their graves.

Kidhuman
03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Larry, Moe, & Curly are rolling over in their graves.

I'm rolling over in my grave, and I am not dead

Mad Slanted Powers
03-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Iggy Pop should be in it.

2-1B
09-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Sean Penn dropped out of this.

And now I see that James Carrey dropped out, too.

scruffziller
10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
OMG.... i hope that is an early April Fools Joke, that casting is hidious...... Jim Carrey as Curly are you kidding me....I surprised they didn't ask Kevin James to play the part.

I liked Mel Gibson's version of the backstory of the stooges. thought that the actors really captured the feeling of the stooges and really protrayed them well. the movie actually made me cry a few times.

Kevin James or Jack Black, not Jim Carrey for Curly. Jim Carrey should be Moe.

bobafrett
10-13-2009, 08:46 PM
I saw a recent picture of Mr. Carrey, and he was looking heavier, and tthey made a note that he was packing on 60 pounds to play Curly.

morpheus282
10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Hollywood is officially out of ideas. Land of the Lost proved that.

sith_killer_99
10-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Hollywood is officially out of ideas. Land of the Lost proved that.

Freaky Friday(2003) proved that, Land of the Lost just confirmed it.:yes:

morpheus282
10-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Speaking of movies, my wife and I watched The Proposal last night. I could have sworn that commercials, reviews, etc, said it was funny.

2-1B
10-18-2009, 12:50 AM
I liked The Proposal, it had several funny moments.

bobafrett
10-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Doesn't Sandra get a little Nekid in that?

2-1B
10-18-2009, 11:37 AM
A bit, yes.
Definite cougar.

bobafrett
10-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Watch it now, she's married to that Jesse bike dude, he'll kick you hard!

morpheus282
10-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Sandra got a very little nekkid, but it wasn't worth watching the movie for it. I think I'd rather have watched Land of the Lost.