PDA

View Full Version : Finishing up the Battle of Hoth - GH style!

bigbarada
03-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, assuming that the GH AT-AT actually does get released next year :upset: the Hoth sequence from ESB is actually one of the more "fleshed out" environments from the OT films in Galactic Heroes format (I don't collect PT/CW Galactic Heroes, so I can't speak for those).

In the area of vehicles and beasts/large figures, we've already got:
Wampa
Tauntaun
Probe Droid
Snowspeeder
AT-AT (keeping fingers crossed for 2010)
Millenium Falcon
X-Wing

So that would just leave the Scout Walker and Rebel Transport as far as vehicles that were actually visible on Hoth. I think the Transport would be cool to double as a carrying case (just like the vintage toy). However, neither of these would be considered absolutely critical to the Hoth scene.

That would just leave large accessories and playsets/environmental set pieces:
Turret Cannon
Radar Laser Cannon
Vehicle Maintenance Energizer
Tripod Cannon (they could include a special reposed Snowtrooper with it)
Hoth Trench (done in the same style as the vintage Imperial Attack Base)
Ion Cannon playset
Shield Generator playset (with exploding shield action)
Wampa Cave
Medical Chamber with Bacta Tank and Luke in a diaper

Since this line is more of a true, kids toy line, most of these playsets could be combinations of molded plastic parts with cardboard backdrops (in the same style as the original Kenner playsets).

Many of those accessories could be made fairly cheaply and released in "troop builder" battle packs. For instance, make the Tripod Cannon with a special Snowtrooper, and maybe 3 or 4 of the current Snowtrooper. Throw in a Wampa and Threepio and you got yourselves a battle pack (most people will know what cutscene I'm talking about here).

Same with the Turret and Radar Cannons. The Tripod Cannon doesn't need to be huge, but preferably not made of cardboard. Include the Radar Cannon and maybe a few different variations of the Hoth Rebel Trooper and Hasbro would have a pretty decent little "Hoth Trench" BP.

OR the Tripod Cannon, Radar Laser Cannon, and Vehicle Maintenance Energizer (which really should have been included in the Snowspeeder BP) could just be included in the standard 2-pack figure line (similar to the Anakin with STAP set).

As for figures, well there aren't really that many left to do:
2-1B
FX-7
Rebel Commander

They could get specific and make characters like:
Major Derlin
General Rieekan
Snowspeeder Pilot Wedge
Snowspeeder Pilot Jansen
Snowspeeder Pilot Zev
Snowspeeder Pilot Hobbie
K-3PO
R-3PO
Torryn Farr
assorted Astromechs, Power Droids, etc.

But I'm not sure how far they would get with those (maybe a future rerelease of the Snowspeeder BP could include Wedge and Jansen, instead of Luke and Dak). Most of the figures from this list have "battle pack filler" written all over them, though.

Anyways, just some thoughts about the Hoth sequence after combining my Snowspeeder BP with the previous Battle of Hoth BP.

JetsAndHeels
03-27-2009, 08:20 PM
I like your idea with the transport doubling as a carrying case. That would be pretty cool.

I would like to see something done that incorporates the Hoth trench. If done correctly, it could be quite a nice piece for a Hoth scene.

bigbarada
03-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I think a carrying case Rebel Transport would be a nice little nod to the vintage line and simultaneously be something that would make sense to kids. I doubt it would ever happen, but I would definitely buy one.

In fact, I think most of the stuff on my list has a slim to zero chance of being made; but it doesn't stop me from thinking about how cool it would be. Probably the Tripod Cannon with a new Snowtrooper, 2-1B and FX-7 are the only things I feel are almost guaranteed to be made within the next 4-5 years.

JetsAndHeels
03-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I've been thinking about that Hoth trench idea since you first posted it. I would love to see Hasbro try something that incorporated it...a cinema scene/battlepack with hoth soldiers would be great.

bigbarada
03-29-2009, 01:36 PM
I've been thinking about that Hoth trench idea since you first posted it. I would love to see Hasbro try something that incorporated it...a cinema scene/battlepack with hoth soldiers would be great.

I think it would be an awesome idea and a great companion piece to next year's (fingers crossed) AT-AT. It wouldn't even have to be true trench, it could be like the vintage Imperial Attack Base (sort of a raised trench or a wall-fort).

JetsAndHeels
03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
I think it would be an awesome idea and a great companion piece to next year's (fingers crossed) AT-AT. It wouldn't even have to be true trench, it could be like the vintage Imperial Attack Base (sort of a raised trench or a wall-fort).

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

CoachD
03-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I really like the snowtroopers, they are cool. But i bet we see a Captain Rex in his snow gear first. which would be pretty cool, if they packed it with the speeder bike (like the endor bike 2 packs).