PDA

View Full Version : Beisbol en veinte cero nueve (2009)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2009, 11:39 PM
The season started today! :thumbsup:

:crickets... :

Really. The World BB Classic is over and the National and American Leagues resume their annual battle on grass (or artificial turf-type grass) to throw their mitts into the air, pile on each other and possibly crush or injure themselves, and wear t-shirts and pour alcoholic beverages on their teammates (makes ME want to do it! :pleased: ).

So, now that everyone knows what time it is, does anybody really care (about time)?

Go Pirates! Win 81 or more games this year. Please? Arr? :Pirate:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Go Pirates! Now win 80 more, or more, games now that this year has started.1-0 feels SO good! It's still crummy that they can't lead their division; sports standings discriminate against the later letters of the alphabet. :rolleyes:

DarthQuack
04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
My Yankees are starting off great at 0-2....ugh. I'm heading to the season opener next Thursday to see CC on the hill. Hopefully he'll give me 8 innings of 3 hit ball. Jeter off to a nice start in the leadoff.

The Cubbies are looking nice at 2-1! :)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Sports talk radio here in SoCal is all about the Angels pitcher killed in a H&R DUI. :(

figrin bran
04-09-2009, 10:03 PM
That would be Nick Adenhart who just pitched yesterday and was well on his way to a promising career.

Sadly, these H&R DUI's are becoming increasingly more common here in SoCal.

DarthQuack
04-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Yeah, just heard about it yesterday too, very tragic.....freaking hit and run too....:cry::mad:

Jedi_Kal-El
04-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Yeah, just heard about it yesterday too, very tragic.....freaking hit and run too....:cry::mad:

What makes it more tragic is the fact that they guy who hit them was driving on a suspended license with a previous DUI.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2009, 09:00 AM
According to news reports, his judge told him if there's a next time, he'd be charged with murder, not just vehicular manslaughter. What's he get for this one? Three murder charges. Keep this nut off the streets! :mad:

But back to on-field baseball action, the Pirates are on pace to finish right at .500. Woo hoo! So, based on current standings, the NL West winner is Colorado, NL East is held by Florida, and NL Central belongs to St. Louis, with the Wild Card going to Atlanta (alphabetically the best 2-1 team :rolleyes: ).

AL West crown worn by Texas, AL East bestowed upon Toronto, and AL Central owned by Minnesota, while Baltimore goes Wild Carding.

WRONG!

My picks?
NL West: Dodgers
NL East: Mets (finally?)
NL Central: Cards (although, Pittsburgh's 160-2 record will just be edged out by them :p )
NL Wild Card: Florida

AL West: Angels
AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Detroit
AL Wild Card: Toronto

We shall see, shall we? See?

DarthQuack
04-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I'd love the Yankees to make it back to the series against the Cubbies. I'm a DIEhard Yankees fan....but if they can't win I would support the Cubbies.

Tycho
04-13-2009, 03:18 PM
The Padres were expected to finish in last place in our division. But so far, ALL the other teams are beating them to this honor.

Oh yeah: that means we're in FIRST PLACE! :D

The Pads are 5-2 as I write this.

Tycho
04-25-2009, 02:24 AM
The Padres won tonight against Pittsburgh in the 12th inning by Brian Giles' RBI lined like a rocket into right field, way too close to the baseline, but luckily still a fair ball.

I'm going to the game tomorrow night, and can't wait. Beisbol is back!

Oh, Adrian Gonzales got hit in the hand tonight by a ball that richochet off his glove from another liner hit by the Pirates up the first base line. These things can come back and bite you later. I REALLY hope one of my team's No.1 players doesn't go out on the injured list. He batted after the incident - but like I said, these things can get worse as time passes.

Hope Adrian's OK.

Tycho
04-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Tonight the Padres saluted Star Wars: Clone Wars.

Our second baseman, David Eckstein, is married to the voice actress behind Ahsoka Tano!

She made an appearance at our ball game tonight, her cartoon form, on the scoreboard screen.

Then her husband used the Force and belted one into the gap between 2nd and 3rd. However, the Padres mostly played like padawans tonight, which helps to explain a 10-1 loss to Pittsburgh.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2009, 09:35 AM
I thought Ahsoka was voiced by a teenager, and when I read your post, I immediately thought of Mr. Eckstein being hauled away for an illegal marriage! I'm glad I was mistaken.

Pirates are playing good ball; tied for the 4th-best record in the NL, are .500 on the road, have had good starting pitching. Let's go Pi-rates! [clap, clap, clapclapclap] :Pirate:

Mad Slanted Powers
04-26-2009, 02:24 PM
The Seattle Mariners are off to a great start. If they keep up this pace, they'll win over 100 games, whereas they lost 101 last year.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-02-2009, 10:19 PM
The Buccos hold off the Reds tonight. Reason why they have an outside shot at a playoff run is their starting pitching is involved with more W/L than their bullpen. That's a HUGE change over previous years. Still on pace for a +.500 year (84 wins).

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2009, 07:36 AM
It's feast or famine now, I guess. Of their last four games, when Pittsburgh SCORES, they're 1-0. Lost the others by shutout. Well, still on pace for a .500 season (81 wins).

Mad Slanted Powers
05-04-2009, 08:25 AM
The Mariners fell behind 7-4 in the 13th inning, but tied it up and eventually won in the 15th inning.

figrin bran
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
By now, I'm sure we've all heard about Man Ram's 50 game suspension for using a female fertility drug. Feel free to make up your own punchline with that.

Now if only we can get a lifetime suspension for Scott Boras.

Tycho
05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Maybe Man Ram's bat was too long, so he wanted a female fertility drug so he'd get more bases on balls?

It's a tabloid story (even though it's true) any way. The Dodgers' stumble has not helped the Padres who are now down to 3rd in this division, so I don't really care.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
SPOILER BELOW

Yesterday, the Pittsburgh Pirates scored more runs than their opponent in a regular season game, resulting in a "victory," something rarely seen around their organization recently.

Tycho
05-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Huh. I saw the same thing happen at PetCo Park the last time I was able to make a Padres game before my surgery. It scared me.

Tycho
05-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Our local newspaper's cartoonist just submitted an insulting entry in today's newspaper, comparing San Diegan Adam Lambert's American Idol loss to the San Diego Padres' performance. It was seriously bad timing as the Padres have been kicking some butt for 6 games in a row right now and may overtake San Francisco. Then we'll only have the LA Dodgers (down one Manny Ramierez) to get out of our way for the division title.

I submitted this letter to the editor:

Steve Breen's cartoon in May 22nd's newspaper was an insult to all Padres fans as well as the great effort the team has put in during their past 6 game winning streak! (Ask people from Cincinatti or San Francisco) Perhaps
Breen hasn't watched Kevin Kouzmanoff batting or Jake Peavy pitching lately? He's certainly not sitting anywhere near me when I've been at PetCo Park to support my hometown team. And that is crtically important right now in this down-economy. PetCo provides jobs to San Diegans and tax revenues to the City, not to forget the most important thing: it's fun!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Oh no. Here is comes again. I like interleague play, but apparently over the years, the :Pirate:s do not. Lost a close one 2-0 to the ChiSox last night. Our starting pitching has had a lot of hard luck quality starts (6+ innings of 0-3 earned runs) lately. If this continues (with more runs scored, of course), the Buccos might still be able to reach .500 this season! :pleased:

Tycho
05-24-2009, 01:13 AM
The Padres have now won 8 in a row.

The Reds were swept away.

The Giants were made to feel small.

And the Cubs have lost 2 of 3 games going into tomorrow's final challenge in the series at PetCo Park.

I'll have to check what San Francisco has been up to, but we might have just taken 2nd place from them and gotten into a position to go after the Dodgers next.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-24-2009, 01:53 AM
I think they should be called the Pod Rays.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Another quality start by Ohlendorf (7 2/3 inn. 3 ER), but another shutout (the wrong way). I thought pirates were succeeding this year around the globe [whisper, whisper]. Oh, my bad. Arr. :Pirate::whip:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Here they go again, again. Last four games: 2-2 record (2-0 when they SCORE ONE OR MORE RUNS). But Matt Capps's hand/arm injury does not look good. :(

Tycho
05-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Well, in the 10th inning on Chase Headley's 2-run homer, the Padres defeated Arizona in their own house after an eigth inning comeback started from when they were DOWN 7-1. San Diego ultimately defeated the Diamond Backs 9-7.

It was quite a game.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I hope this isn't "here we go again." Buccos traded away last year's All Star representative Nate McLouth. That's much earlier than the trade deadline. Don't start shipping everybody out, please. PLEASE! :Pirate:

Tycho
06-07-2009, 10:49 AM
:twisted::twisted:666:twisted::twisted:

On June 6, the San Diego Padres beat the Arizona Diamondbacks by scoring 6 runs in the 6th inning!

:twisted::twisted:666:twisted::twisted:

JediTricks was with me when I was watching the game and though he wasn't too interested, JT says to me, "watch this guy get hit by a pitch." Sure enough, 3rd baseman Chase Headley gets pegged in the foot by his next pitch. It was freaky.

DarthQuack
06-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Yous guys is messing with some bad mojo.

TeeEye7
06-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Yous guys is messing with some bad mojo.

The Force is strong with JT.

;)

Tycho
06-07-2009, 02:25 PM
The Force is strong with JT.

;)

How about 2nd baseman David Eckstein? The Xcks-Factor is Ahsoka Tano's husband.

TeeEye7
06-07-2009, 03:34 PM
JT could take 'em both! :whip:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Detroit is 1-1 against Pittsburgh this year, with the rubber game today. Cool thing was while the Penguins were winning their 3rd Cup in D-town, the same cities' teams were on the diamond in da 'Boigh. Either way, Iron City Beer will be a-flowin' this weekend.

Tycho
06-14-2009, 11:36 AM
The Padres are losing miserably to the Angels in their inter-league games.

Since Anaheim Stadium is across the freeway from Disneyland, I thought I'd make a day out of it and enjoy the park and the ballgame.

The Disneyland park is always enjoyable...

figrin bran
06-15-2009, 11:00 AM
And my Angels completed a sweep of Tycho's Padres.

Tycho, if only you had gone on Saturday, I was there and could've met up with you! (Disneyland, not the game).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2009, 10:03 AM
It happened. The Buccos fell into last in the NL Central. :( BUT... they're only 6 1/2 games back (lowest out-of-first level in the majors), and are baseball's best last-place team (.456 win %). Something to look up at, I guess. Arr. :Pirate:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Manny Ramirez played his first minor league "rehab" game tonight as a member of the Albuquerque Isotopes. Really; the Dukes changed their team name a little while back. :woohoo:

Tycho
06-24-2009, 06:14 AM
I like the name Albuquerque Enhancers better. It seems more appropriate.

TeeEye7
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I like the name Albuquerque Enhancers better. It seems more appropriate.

Sponsored by Smilin' Bob.........

Bel-Cam Jos
07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
We've reached the All-Star break, more than halfway through the season. The Pittsburgh Pirates are still the "best" last-place team in the MLB (.432 win percentage, only 9 1/2 games out of first in the NL Central). They have quite a few quality starts by their starting pitchers (meaning they pitch at least 6 innings and give up 3 or less runs). But, ownership has already traded away two good players, and the bullpen's been blowing leads again. The team needs to go 43-31 (at a .581 clip) to avoid their 17th-straight losing season (or 44-30 to have a winning record: .594 percent). :(

Anyone else have more positive recap of their team's first half?

Mad Slanted Powers
07-13-2009, 06:37 PM
The Seattle Mariners are 46-42 and only 4 games behind the Angels in the AL West. They need only go 16-58 the rest of the way to finish with a better record than last year.

DarthQuack
07-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Did Brandon Inge and Adrian Gonzalez forget their bats tonight? :P

JimJamBonds
07-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Congrats Prince Fielder for winning the home run derby, hopefully your swing won't be f'd up.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2009, 11:29 AM
During the Homerun Derby, I noticed a billboard ad in the outfield seats for BCJ. Who's making money off my good [user] name without my permission?!? :upset: :pleased: I also loved the "57 ft" distances for infield outs.

Anyone notice that Chris Berman didn't "backbackback" as much as he used to?

Tycho
07-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Did Brandon Inge and Adrian Gonzalez forget their bats tonight? :P

Very funny.

I have to appologize to the other National League fans here for Heath Bell giving up the American League's winning home run. OK, Jake Peavy was supposed to be the pitcher we sent to the All-Stars, but he's out with an injured ankle. Bell is usually a great pitcher in his own right though. He faced some tough batters.

Now former San Diego Padre Trevor Hoffman pitched an awesome scoreless inning for his appearance (and he's my hero because he has just one kidney like me and BobaFrett do - so we're All-Stars too!)

DarthQuack
07-15-2009, 07:36 AM
I thought it was very funny.

Another win for the AL. NL will always be inferior to the AL.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Duke and Sanchez of the Pirates didn't make it into the All-Star Game, so that means they'll be rested and lead Pittsburgh to the NL Central crown! ARR!!! :Pirate:

Over the period that the AL's been dominating the ASG, going 12-0-1 over that time, the NL's won the World Series 5 times (Arizona in '01, Florida twice, St. Louis in '03 [?], and Philly last year). So the AL (with 4 of those the NYY) going 8-5 in WS isn't as dominating as their ASG wins. Does that mean that the AL players are better than the NL? Or the DH being that much of an advantage? Who knows.

Slicker
07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
And howzabout Curtis Granderson?! I stayed up until noon watchin' this. Rather exciting game.

Tycho
07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
It was an exciting game!

Yeah, you have to wonder why the American League wins all the time.

But it was close and could have gone either way this year, so I don't suspect a conspiracy.

I don't see how a Designated Hitter is going to make all the difference for game play however.

Without pinch-hitting coming into play, there's only 1 weak batter in the lineup because practice for that player is pitching time, not time in the batter's box.

So when a pitching substitution is ready to be made, or an emergency arises, like having runners on base at the bottom of the lineup, the manager employs strategy (hopefully [ATTN Bud Black READ HERE] ) And other non-starting players get more experience in the major leagues by coming in to play.

I don't see how not having the DH rule weakens a team. However, I LIKE the DH rule and would almost prefer it be the standard for both leagues, but like I also said, it can make NL games wild and less predictable.

Tycho
07-19-2009, 02:47 AM
(2nd base) Edgar Gonzales (Adrian's brother) was nailed in the head today by a wild pitch by Colorado's Hammel. Everyone held their breath until he could sit up and then he was wheeled out on a girney cart and taken to Scripps' Hospital. Adrian left the game to join his older brother. It was very scary and I'm sure they ordered an immediate MRI. He was hit so hard his batting helmet flew off and at one point while he was trying to recover, Edgar was holding his ears. I think it hurt so bad he was crying. The audience all got on their feet and encouraged him, showing their appreciation for what these two locally raised brothers have contributed to San Diego's team. I felt really bad for him. He was batting 2 for 2 this game when it happened (with 2 singles) and he is a consistent member of my team.

The game was tied up at 1-1 when Adrian left and Chase Headley, who did not play in the field, was brought into the game and subsequently hit a homerun right out of the park at center field. There was more hits later as another run was batted in and the Padres won 3-1.

It was an interesting and exciting game but with possible longterm consequences as fans in San Diego await any information that provides an update on Edgar Gonzales' condition.

I brought a kidney patient that I knew from the time I was on dialysis with me to the game. He recently had to have his foot and ankle amputated due to a diabetic condition and he was very grateful I was able to get him out of the rehabilitation hospital.

I'm afraid I'll have to visit Edgar Gonzales there next. :cry:

Mad Slanted Powers
07-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I just read an article in the paper today about Jim Rice. In a game in August of 1982, a young boy got hit by a foul ball, and was bleeding pretty bad. Rice grabbed the boy and got him to the ambulance right away. Saved the kid's life.

DarthQuack
07-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Yanks took a series from the Tigers, even with my wearing my authentic jersey straight off the back of Fernando Rodney that my brother swiped when he worked for the Lakeland Tigers last year in spring training :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Oh look. The Pirates send two more long-time players away: Jack Wilson and Ian Snell. And they have two more days to ship off more Buccos before the trade deadline ends. :mad:

[edit]Oh, after a little web searching, while I was on vacation the Red Sox accepted Adam LaRoche from the :Pirate:s for a couple human beings. Couldn't throw in his brother for free? :(

Tycho
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
My Padres are now on track to have the No. 1 draft pick in 2010.

All we have to do is LOSE more games than the Washington Nationals. :tired:

When they beat us 13-1 the other night I began to see hope at the end of the tunnel that maybe we could do it this year if my team can just find a way to really mess up the rest of the season. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Now Freddy Sanchez is gone. The manager and GM of the team say they're building for a championship-caliber team. HOW?!? :upset: And, the team loses 1-0 in 10 innings today, to the team that Sanchex is traded to. Ugh. Sad.

DarthQuack
07-30-2009, 11:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4366335

Ah...so nice to see Manny and Ortiz get busted :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Look at this, and tell me, with a straight face Pirates management, that you are committed to winning anytime soon:

1B A. LaRoche (to BOS)
2B F. Sanchez (to SF)
SS J. Wilson (to SEA)
OF N. McLouth (to ATL)
OF N. Morgan (to... MIL? ATL? somewhere...)
SP I. Snell (to SEA? SF?)

And those are just from THIS SEASON! Is anyone left? How can you develop even an ad campaign to get fans to come see them play, let alone a team that can compete? "The 2010 Pittsburgh Pirates: At Least We Still Have the Stadium Where It's Been." Sigh... :(

TeeEye7
07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Look at this, and tell me, with a straight face Pirates management, that you are committed to winning anytime soon:

1B A. LaRoche (to BOS)
2B F. Sanchez (to SF)
SS J. Wilson (to SEA)
OF N. McLouth (to ATL)
OF N. Morgan (to... MIL? ATL? somewhere...)
SP I. Snell (to SEA? SF?)

And those are just from THIS SEASON! Is anyone left? How can you develop even an ad campaign to get fans to come see them play, let alone a team that can compete? "The 2010 Pittsburgh Pirates: At Least We Still Have the Stadium Where It's Been." Sigh... :(

Ask Jedi Master Sal to go straighten out Pittsburg's management! :yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
07-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Oh look. The Pirates send two more long-time players away: Jack Wilson and Ian Snell. And they have two more days to ship off more Buccos before the trade deadline ends. :mad:I just saw in the paper this morning that Seattle is the one they made the trade with. You should be encouraged. It seems that players we trade away suddenly get better, or eventually develop into stars.

Tycho
07-31-2009, 07:38 AM
I hope the Padres don't give up Adrian Gonzales or Jake Peavy (or Chris Young). Heath Bell won't be leaving we think.

I'm going to the game tonight and tomorrow night both - to see Trevor Hoffman's first return to PetCo Park. I will stand up and applaud for him even though he'll be playing for Milwaukee now. Hoffman's a hero of mine.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2009, 09:33 PM
And now [former] Pirates pitchers Gorzellany [sp?] and Grabow are gone, too. What is goin' on here?!? :upset:

Tycho
08-01-2009, 03:34 AM
We let Jake Peavy go at the very last minute! I can't believe it. :mad:

Barry, you'll have to enjoy some Chicago Whitesox games now. :sad:

Anyway, my Padres made a huge comeback from being down in the 2nd inning 7-1 (Brewers) to WINNING 11-7! :yes:

I posted in a separate thread about a special event that happened before the game with exclusive lightsabers, Ahsoka Tano, and the Clone Troopers. Look for it in this Gen Disc. section.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2009, 10:44 AM
To finish up the Pirates dealings before the deadline, for good measure they sold a minor leaguer to Toronto for cash... and it will probably be in loonies. :greedy: But the team won last night, so it's not all bad.

Tycho
08-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I just defeated Gorzellany and the Pirates with my Padres on MLB for the Wii.

DarthQuack
08-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Yankees getting smacked around a little now after their nice start after the All-Star break....damn those White Sox....

and those crappy Red Sox....

DarthQuack
08-01-2009, 07:55 PM
The Pirates are 2-0 since the trade deadline!

Andrew McCutchen hit's 3 HR's for the bucs!

Watch out wild card race!

Tycho
08-02-2009, 03:22 AM
The Padres have won 5 in a row now (3 away at Cincinatti, and 2 at home against Milwaukee). Our new pitcher from the White Sox Clayton Richard did very well tonight for 5 innings before giving up a homerun.

It was an exciting game where the Brewers tied us 2-2 until the Padres' bats put them ahead by another 2 runs. Tony Gwynn was amazingly fast at running the bases tonight, too!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2009, 09:03 AM
The Pirates are 2-0 since the trade deadline!

Andrew McCutchen hit's 3 HR's for the bucs!

Watch out wild card race!It's all I can hope for! And I'll take it, too! :Pirate:

Tycho, with all the Pad's games you attend, do you have season tickets? A multi-game plan? Or do you just get individual tix for the game(s) you want to see? I know if I lived close enough to do that for Pirates games, I sure would (forest :rolleyes: ).

Tycho
08-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Tycho, with all the Pad's games you attend, do you have season tickets? A multi-game plan? Or do you just get individual tix for the game(s) you want to see? I know if I lived close enough to do that for Pirates games, I sure would (forest :rolleyes: ).

I buy individual tickets for the games. The Padres have a "Frequent Friar Program" which I'm part of. Although I usually prefer 1st base or 3rd base field boxes, I've sat everywhere in PetCo Park. There's no bad seat in that place. But I don't usually go to EVERY home game - just most. I earn rewards for discounts off my next tickets, even free tickets, and free upgrades to premium seats. I also get gifts like shirts, blankets, backpacks (non-promo, but the real Padres' Store stuff), free food / drink - and meetings with the players, all-access passes, early admission, etc. I'll be invited to batting practice with all the starters for my team at the end of the season and get to play on the field at PetCo.

I'm practicing so I do my best because there are those crazy stories in sports history and "you never know." I'm going to treat the occasion as an informal "try out."

For games against teams I'm not too interested in (Atlanta Braves this week), I make no plans to see them. However, I frequently get the yearning to go down to PetCo and just wind up there and buy cheaper seats for about $18. When it's a rival team, I'll drop $50 or so on my ticket.

There's great comradery amongst fans. Last night I took my friend I knew through the kidney transplant program and wound up also inviting this guy I met on the trolley to share a cab back with us (we were out so late the trolleys stopped running) and then when I got my truck I drove him the rest of the way home. I think that for a whole hour our conversation never drifted from our starting pitchers and the Jake Peavy trade.

DarthQuack
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Melky Cabrera hits for the cycle tonight for the Yankees! :thumbsup: First Yankee to do this since Tony Fernandez back in '96....Another great year for the Yanks if my memory serves me right.....

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Melky Cabrera hits for the cycle tonight for the Yankees! :thumbsup: First Yankee to do this since Tony Fernandez back in '96....Another great year for the Yanks if my memory serves me right.....
Yes, 1996 was probably the only time I rooted for the Yankees in a World Series. That was because they were playing the Braves, who I was tired of seeing in there every year (though I think they had only won one World Series). It had been a while since the Yankees had been there, and former Mariner Tino Martinez was on their team.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2009, 11:07 AM
The :Pirate:s can no longer win 100 games this year. :( They must go 35-17 (a .673 clip) to end the season, to avoid a 17th straight losing season, most in professional sports history. I can name only a few players still on the team:

C Doumit
P Duke
P Maholm
P Olhendorf
P Capps
P Martin
3B An.LaRoche
OF McCutcheon
OF Jones

No idea who plays 1st, 2nd, short, the other outfield, makes starts the other 5th day, rides the bench, or pitches middle relief. Sad. Terribly sad. :sad: So sad that people don't even make fun of the team, just pity them and their fans. :(

DarthQuack
08-08-2009, 12:00 PM
RIP Pirates....

An ABOMB......from AROD.....

Tycho
08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
In 3 hours I start preparing to leave for PetCo Park for another fine evening with the San Diego Padres! :yes:

The impossible comebacks are always thrilling, but a start-off lead is less stress on the hearts of fans.

Tycho
08-09-2009, 05:15 AM
San Diego wins again as we shut down the Mets again, in spite of some terrible calls by the umpire. Our manager Bud Black got thrown out of the game tonight. In every replay on TV, Everth Cabrerra was totally safe at home plate.

I was at the live game again down at PetCo Park and for the next 3 innings the audience "Booo'ed" everything the Mets did, or every call the umpire made that wasn't in the Padres' favor.

Last night Cabrerra (Padres' shortstop) hit only his second career homerun, and it was a walk-off GRAND SLAM!!!

We have a good team playing here. This season we won't have the record to go the distance, more than likely, but do not discount this ball club as not being competative. Just keep watching. You're going to see something wonderful happen.

BTW: newly acquired / promoted pitchers Clayton Richard (from C WS) and Mat Latos (from AA Alberqerque) rock and have begun their careers with the Padres with winning records. No, you can't compare them to Trevor Hoffman or Jake Peavy yet, but there's nothing saying that is not going to happen. Latos threw over half the game with pitches mostly in the 90's!

DarthQuack
08-09-2009, 09:30 PM
All I have to say is sweep!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Why does anyone pitch to Pujols? Batting .800 with the bases juiced? Unbelievable. Oh, BTW... Pirates scored less than those very Albert-led Cardinals today. :(

Mad Slanted Powers
08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Why does anyone pitch to Pujols? Batting .800 with the bases juiced? Unbelievable. Oh, BTW... Pirates scored less than those very Albert-led Cardinals today. :(
Because they still have trouble taking seriously someone with the name Pooh-Holes.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Well, the Pirates sure need some emergency aid, as they lose their 9th in their last 11 games, with their starting pitcher now having a 9-11 record. But they didn't lose today! A rainout in Chi-town.

Qui-Long Gone
08-16-2009, 09:15 PM
All I have to say is that I'm glad I've been a Cardinals fan since childhood...it's good to cheer for a good team year in and year out!

Tycho
08-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Tonight in the 9th, with Chicago leading 1-0, the Padres come back with David Eckstein taking a walk, then Chase Headley hitting a double that drives Ecks-Man home. Now with Headley on 2nd, after Gonzalez is taken out - with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, Kouzmanoff is intentionally walked so Cubs' pitcher Gregg can face Padre rookie Kyle Blanks (right fielder). Blanks hits a 3-run homer!!!

As a consolation to the Cubby fans here (hey I went to many games at Wrigley field and rooted for the Cubs myself during my high school years), here is Kosuke Fukadome running from 1st to 2nd on a hit by Chicago 1st baseman Derrek Lee.

Our 2nd baseman is David Eckstein, Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano's husband (Ashley Eckstein).

DarthQuack
08-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Gregg sucks, Pinella said he's going to get him out of the closers spot and it's about time.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Three-game sweep of the Brew Crew at PNC; could this be the turnaround for the Buccos? :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Pirates are now out of last in the NL Central (sorry there, Reds), looking for two 3-game sweeps in a row. Nothing like a strong home series. Keep this up, Buccos! :thumbsup: :Pirate:

DarthQuack
08-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I wonder if Tycho is checking out Johnny Smoltz today in San Diego...

EDIT: So the Phillies 2nd baseman turned an unassisted triple play against the Mets in the 9th inning to finish off the game!

Tycho
08-27-2009, 01:47 AM
The circumstances of the triple-play were incredible and so improbable. But I know it can happen. As kids, my best friend pulled off one in the same from shortstop in Little League!

By the way, San Diego's Chula Vista team (Park View) is a huge deal around here for the Little League World Series. I love watching these kids play their hearts off. The Japan vs. Cirausau battle was so close and just amazing. Those kids walked away with an experience that will mark them for life.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Congrats to your Chula Vista CA Little Leaguers, Tycho! Down 3-0, winning 6-3. That was a pretty good game to watch.

Tycho
08-30-2009, 11:06 PM
This town is so excited about the Little Leaguers we have parties for them at like every sports bar around for miles.

It's really cool and I'm really happy for them.

I'm still batting .500 myself and got 2 singles, 2 RBIs, and was a run driven in myself today. I also made an outstanding play getting a runner at home from third base, if I do say so myself. (3rd is tough for me to play as 2nd or short are my natural positions).

Mad Slanted Powers
08-30-2009, 11:12 PM
I played 3rd base through most of Little League. I always had trouble making that throw to first. It was usually too low or I overthrew the guy. Fortunately, I turned out for track instead when I got to junior high, where I did not compete in any of the throwing events.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2009, 06:29 AM
I've always said, if it wasn't for hitting and throwing, I'd have been among the greatest baseball players ever. In my "prime," :rolleyes: I was a great fielder (re:catching, running down balls) and fast runner. Would've been the only player ever to be pinch-hit for in the bottom of the 1st.

Pirates swept in a doubleheader, lost 5 straight (they had won 7 of 9... now resistance is futile).

JimJamBonds
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Pirates swept in a doubleheader, lost 5 straight (they had won 7 of 9... now resistance is futile).

Don't forget 21 straight in Milwaukee, the longest streak since the record of 27 back in the 40's. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Don't forget 21 straight in Milwaukee, the longest streak since the record of 27 back in the 40's. :thumbsup:And don't forget that if (when? :cry: ) they lose six more games, they'll be the sole holders of the PROFESSIONAL AMERICAN TEAM SPORTS record-17 straight losing seasons. Remember 1992? :( Let's go on an 18-5 run to end the year, and reach the magical 81-81 mark! :thumbsup: :Pirate: ARRR!!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
My math was off earlier, and due to some losses, the :Pirate:s now need to finish the season undefeated (with no rainouts, either) from this point on (I believe that would be a 28-0 streak) in order to reach the "magical" .500 mark. Rosie the Riveter says "We Can Do It!" :pleased:

Tycho
09-07-2009, 04:08 PM
My Padres won their series against the Dodgers!!! Ha-HA!

I need to be off to my favorite sports bar shortly because the Friars are playing San Francisco right now.

Tomorrow I'm going up to Anaheim for my best friend's birthday and Disneyland followed by the Angels vs Mariners game.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
My Padres won their series against the Dodgers!!! Ha-HA!

I need to be off to my favorite sports bar shortly because the Friars are playing San Francisco right now.

Tomorrow I'm going up to Anaheim for my best friend's birthday and Disneyland followed by the Angels vs Mariners game.Is that a good idea after the last time you saw a Seattle team?

Tycho
09-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I'll be rooting for the Angels. I grew up in Orange County and frequently went there to see Angel games at "The Big A."

I don't have anything at stake if Seattle wins. That's fine with me, too. But I have very old ties to 2 other teams in MLB besides the Padres: the Chicago Cubs and the "California" Angels.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I always consider them the "California" Angels. Always have, always will. Even though they were originally the LA Angels... when they played in that actual city; even the Anaheim Angels were really CA to me.

And the 82+ loss season is now official. :cry: Weep for them; weep for the Pittsburgh Pirates. :Pirate:

Tycho
09-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Tuesday night I went to Anaheim Stadium to see the Angels beat the Mariners (my best friend's birthday present - except for the fact that his girl has converted him to being a Mariners fan since living up there for so long).

Here are some pics:

Qui-Long Gone
09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
his girl has converted him to being a Mariners fan

girls do that alot....:mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Not only did the Pirates win today, but it was a road win. Those are rare; I hear they go for $250+ on eBay these days. Arr. :Pirate:

Tycho
09-13-2009, 11:41 PM
The Padres won their series against the Colorado Rockies...errr - I mean with the help of the San Diego Rockies.

In 4 games, the Rockies walked one of our batters with the bases loaded to score runs for our team. We should sign those guys. Chris Marquis screwed up for Colorado today. I thought he was supposed to be good?

Meanwhile, our guys earned the rest of their 7 runs the hard way - by rounding the bases and driving runs home!

I had breakfast with the Padres this morning - the pictures of me and Kevin Kouzmanoff and Kyle Blanks, and old time Cy Young Award winner Randy Jones are in the Post-A-Picture-of-Yourself-thread.

Here are some pics of the game including Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano's husband batting (David Eckstein) who I spoke with quite a bit today about Star Wars Clone Wars, btw.

Adrian Gonzalez is shown at 1st base with Rockies star Todd Helton, also.

Oh, in front of me were some of the Junior Stars of Little League World Series winners Park View Little League from Chula Vista (San Diego) California!

One of the Little Leaguers caught a ball!

Tycho
09-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I wanted to add that I've been invited to take batting practice with the San Diego Padres. This is going to be so cool.

When I met a lot of the players on Sunday, starting pitcher Kevin Correia hinted he might be pitching to me.

He started last night and threw up to 94mph!

I've got to get the people running my batting cages to turn the machines way up.

Anyway, got invited to the players' clubhouse for tonight's game. I'm going down there early with a lady friend and we're going to hang out with the team.

My baseball experience this season has so far surpassed any other season I could not even ever compare it to!

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I went to the batting cages with my college roommate once. I had enough trouble with the 70 mph cage. When I did make contact, my hands sure stung. Does it hurt worse with a wood bat or aluminum bat? I was using an aluminum bat that time. In Little League, I always used a wood bat, and don't remember it hurting, but then again, the pitchers didn't throw very fast back then. I think the hardest thrower I faced was a girl we had on our team when I was in 5th grade. I remember feeling good that I got a hit off of her in turnout, but I think my hands did sting a bit. Luckily I didn't have to face her in a game.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Buccos swept by the Dodgers today, including blowing two separate leads in one extra inning loss. Will they avoid 100 losses? I hope so.

Tycho
09-16-2009, 11:14 PM
I haven't really thought about whether it hurts when I make contact.

It hurts much more if I don't make contact or hit the ball into an out.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Tycho, your Pad's visit the Buccos this weekend. I want a sweep, but I'll take 2 of 3. :D

Tycho
09-19-2009, 05:47 PM
We're 1-1 with you guys, Bel-Cam Jos.

It'll be decided tomorrow.

Take a look at our starting pitcher in tomorrow's game (Sun vs. Pirates), Kevin Correia. He said he's likely to be pitching to me when I get to take batting practice with the team at the end of the season. I've seen him throw 95mph. That's why I'm in the batting cages practicing!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Didn't the Pirates (who, BTW, should have been guaranteed to win yesterday, National Talk Like a :Pirate: Day) play the Padres a couple years back, and "let" you guys win a game at the end of the season to "only" have 99 losses? We need this win more, Tycho, so let us have it as a returned favor, please. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bel-Cam Jos
Interim President of the Let's Not Let the Pirates Get 100 Losses club
Our motto? "Only need [7] More Wins."

Tycho
09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
We needed that win ourselves to show our Coach we've improved tremendously since last year.

Our team has finally come together - really much too late for this year though.

I didn't get to watch it live though - I was at my game where I hit 3-for-5 today, with a double and 2 basehits. I got 2 RBIs, and I made 3 great plays at 2nd base (yup - everyone showed up today to play so I was back at my regular position. However, I made one error and overthrew firstbase trying to get a DP when I caught a liner hit to me and tried to catch the runner off first).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks to rainouts (although this week, the Buccos had a 3-0 lead on the Cubbies until they prayed for rain, got it, and a cancelled-not-postponed game), I believe last night's win over the Reds guarantees a less-than-triple-digit loss season for Pittsburgh. They've finished strongly this year, and might not even end up with the worst road record in MLB if they sweep Cincy.

Tycho
10-03-2009, 04:48 PM
My Padres beat the Dodgers twice in a row last week and I was there to personally enjoy every minute of it, including shutting-them-out on Wednesday night.

Manny Ramierez only got 3 pitches from Heath Bell and we sat him down. "Thanks for coming."

I'm going to every final game (5, two against the Dodgers and three against the Giants).

Mad Slanted Powers
10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
The Mariners will have a winning season after losing 101 games last year. I think Ichiro is the only person left from that incredible 2001 season.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2009, 09:14 PM
The AL Central looks like it'll go now to the last game tomorrow, between Detroit and Minnesota (even though they play other teams). And who-gets-the-NL-West-division may also come down to Rockies/Dodgers tomorrow.

Tycho
10-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Dodgers got it. I was at the Padres game, but I saw the replay of the LA vs Colorado game later.

We, the San Diego Padres, beat San Francisco tonight 2-0. So far we've split our final series with them.

I'm going tomorrow to our last game (I bought tickets to our entire 5 game final homestand) but I'll have to leave early because I play on my own team.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm going tomorrow to our last game (I bought tickets to our entire 5 game final homestand) but I'll have to leave early because I play on my own team.You coudl always pray for a rainout or early end of the MLB one, then have it dry out for your game. That will happen, in Southern CA these days. :rolleyes: Rain. I remember it only more vaguely than a +.500 Pittsburgh season... :tired:

Tycho
10-05-2009, 01:39 AM
I made it to the breakfast at the ballpark before I had to leave. I met with Heath Bell today and he and his young son came to join us at my table. I'll post the photographs later (probably in the post-a-pic thread since I'm in the shots, too). I haven't downloaded my camera yet.

We had a double-header, so I played 18 innings today and I was exhausted when I came home and slept from the 3rd quarter of the Chargers game until now.

The Padres lost today in 10 innings, 4-3 in a very close game (obviously). I wish I'd seen it, but my team won today and I was 1 for 3 and 2 for 4 respectively, so I had some fun. I like running them bases! ;)

But the Friars lost their final series to the Giants, with 1 win and 2 losses.

In the post season I'll be backing the Angels.

Meanwhile, Heath Bell told me about what it's like to pitch to most of the best hitters in the MLB including guys like Pujols. It was really great getting to meet him.

Tycho
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I will have to be backing my old hometown team, the California Los Angeles ANGELS going into the post-season.

As the Rockies and especially the Dodgers are Padre rivals, and Philadelphia has had their day in the sun, I think I will back the Cardinals for the NL.

Unfortunately, these may not be the teams who go all the way, but I can already feel myself being emotionally invested in the Angels' outcome.

Here's pics from great seats behind home plate for the 2nd to last Padres game.

That's Wade LeBlanc warming up on the pitcher's mound.

Adrian Gonzalez is batting left-handed with Eckstein on 2nd and Cabrera on 3rd (out of the picture). The Padres are about to easily score!

Chase Headley is batting in the next shot, right about to take his shot to the outfield.

DarthQuack
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Time for a few people to vent....

Slicker
10-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Why should I vent? It's not like that pitch hit Inges jersey with the bases loaded or anything. :rolleyes:

Rocketboy
10-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Now pitching for the Minnesota Twins - Fernando Rodney!

pbarnard
10-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Well now that is over, I sort of want to see the Twins win it, just so Selig has to hand the tropy to them and say sorry for wanting to contract you a few years ago.

Slicker
10-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Detroit deserved what they got though. They should NEVER have been in this position anyways. They were up 7 games less than a month ago and up 2 or 3 games just a week ago.

Darth Metalmute
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Is Laird the worst offensive player to every play in the majors? 0-6 with 4 of those at bats coming with runners in scoring position. It's not like Availa wasn't on the bench hitting around .400. He has no power, and can barely get the ball out of the infield. I was hoping Leyland would bat the pitcher for him and have him get the AL pitcher treatment. When Inge knocked in Kelly in the 10th, McCleandon had to send him in knowing Laird was going to bat.

Porcello gets pulled in the 6th, meanwhile Rodney, who sucks if he pitches more than 1 inning, goes 4 innings. Go figure.

Granderson gets picked off first with a runner on third for like the fourth time since September.

Zach Miner in a big game? WTF. It's not like Bonderman or Bonine wasn't in the pen.

I can't believe the announcers were praising Leyland for all his dumb moves.

I still can't believe Polonco didn't come up with that double play ball in the 10th.

ARGHHHHHHHHH!

Tycho
10-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Well I rooted for the Tigers just for you Slick (and Rocketboy and Cappy).

Sorry things didn't work out. Meanwhile, Cabrera's wife should have hit him harder.

I saw the Dodgers take down the Cards tonight. St. Louis made a valiant effort to come back, but nuh-huh. Not tonight.

Tomorrow will be the first game my Angels play in - against Boston. The Angels are pretty good. They have a chance. But those east coast teams are very tough clubs.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Based on which teams made the post-season, here's my wish list and and my prediction of the future...

Wishlist:
AL Championship (Twins lose to Angels)
NL Championship (Dodgers lose to Phillies)
Angels hoist the trophy.

Prediction:
AL Championship (Yanks fall to the Halos)
NL Championship (Cards come up short against Phanatics)
Halos get the ring.

On halucinagenic [sp?] substances:
Pirates beat Penguins in 8 for the NCAA Super Finals. :confused: :tired:

Tycho
10-09-2009, 03:48 AM
The Angels' result tonight - shutting out Boston in a championship game - was pretty impressive and lends to your predictions Bel-Cam.

Slicker
10-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Well I rooted for the Tigers just for you Slick (and Rocketboy and Cappy).

Well, they got robbed. But like I said before it shouldn't have even come to a playoff for the division title. They just straight up blew it.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2009, 10:14 AM
So it's a split heading back to Rockytown for the next 3 NLCS games, and the Yankees get their first ever win in the ALCS in Yankee Stadium Version 3.0. Here is my interest level in the following World Series scenarios:

Angels vs. Dodgers... 9 out of 10.
Angels vs. Phillies... 6.
Yankees vs. anyone... 2.

:o

My dream matchup? 1960 Yankees/Pirates vs. 1979 Orioles/Pirates. :pleased:

DarthQuack
10-18-2009, 05:21 PM
An A-BOMB......from A-ROD......

Seriously though, what's with the fielding this playoff season??? Are they little leaguers?

TeeEye7
10-18-2009, 11:07 PM
An A-bomb on the Dodgers tonight, too......:mad:

TeeEye7
10-20-2009, 05:11 AM
....and yet again! :fail:

figrin bran
10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
So Man-Ram feels it's okay to hit the showers even if there's still 3 outs left in the game? Then he says Jimmy Rollins is one of his favorite players?

TeeEye7
10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Bye-bye Blue.....:mad:

They had their fill of delphia

Tycho
10-22-2009, 01:15 PM
So I'm playing with the San Diego Padres, reporting to practice on Saturday, November 14! I just got my paperwork in the mail yesterday and I have to sign some documents and get it back to the team. I can bring 3 friends with me (to watch, meet the players, photo, film) that day as well!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Some of my students are the personification of the bandwagon: a couple days ago, after their game 4 loss, the Angels suck. Today, it's all the red gear and it's giddy excitement.

2-1B
10-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Good luck, Tycho !

figrin bran
10-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Who said the Phillies don't have a chance???

My fellow Bruin, Chase Utley had himself an outstanding game as did Cliff Lee. *sigh*if only the Angels had traded for him

Bel-Cam Jos
10-29-2009, 07:27 AM
I would very much love to see the Yankee$ $wept 4-0.

Tycho
10-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Yeah - let's go Phillies-SWEEP!

Actually, I only caught a little of the game while Michelle and I were in a sports bar before The Lion King, but I saw Chase Utley's homerun (or 1 of them?). My friend could've probably cared less, so I didn't shout for joy or anything, but she's going with me when I play with the Padres, as it's her birthday. Baseball's for me, the rest of the day and evening is for her.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Like I said...

I would very much love to see the Yankee$ lo$e 4-1. :D

DarthQuack
10-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Wow...lots of Yankee haters here....boo to all of you. Who's Pedro's Daddy???? AJ Burnett of course....he rocked the house last night and pitched great! I like Andy P. in Game 3 and with the Phils saying that Cliff Lee will NOT pitch Game 4 is interesting.....

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm not a hater, just tired of their uber-coverage. If they don't win every year, it "proves" that money can't buy championships. If they win, it's a tainted victory because of the excessive payroll or juicing players. If they're not in the World Series, "no one" will watch it on TV. Just tired of the routine...

DarthQuack
12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
:thumbs up:

:thumbsup:

The New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy), Arizona Diamondbacks (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=ari) and Detroit Tigers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=det) are on the verge of the first major trade of baseball's winter meetings, a deal that would send Tigers outfielder Curtis Granderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6125) to New York, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.
In the trade, the Diamondbacks would obtain Edwin Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5842) and Ian Kennedy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28864), while the Tigers will pick up Max Scherzer (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28976), Phil Coke (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=29235) and outfield prospect Austin Jackson.
The deal would give the Yankees a starting center fielder. Starting outfielder Johnny Damon (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3323) and designated hitter Hideki Matsui (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5372) are both free agents.
In return, the Tigers would get a hard thrower in Scherzer and a well-regarded prospect in Austin Jackson, while the Diamondbacks get a pair of starting pitchers in Edwin Jackson and Kennedy.

Rocketboy
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
No, that is a BIG thumbs down.

The Tigers getting rid of Granderson, one of their best players and a big fan favorite is a big f*ck you to the fans.

And to add insult to injury, they're sending him to the yankees.

Darth Metalmute
12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Definately bad news.

Why do teams ever trade to the Yankees? They moan all the time about how the Yankees have means to get everything and then theytrade their best player to them. And for who? Four future busts? Even if those four players pan out, they'll be Yankees in five years.

This is whats wrong with baseball. It's not just the fact that the Yankees can outpay teams, its that those same teams give players to them. Why is Arizona even in this deal? Probably MLB making sure that the deal can be made for the Yankees.

DarthQuack
12-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Another lost soul goes to the evil empire..... :twisted: