PDA

View Full Version : What do you call the movies?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I wondered about this recently: in your actual conversations, how do you refer to each of the movies? I mean, on here, I call them by their abbreviations - TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. However, when I'm actually talking, I'm inclined to call them "Episode I," "Episode II," and so on. What about you? And do any of you old fogies still call ANH "Star Wars"?

Rocketboy
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I've noticed that it varies.
Episode I or Phantom Menace or just Menace.
Episode II or just Clones
Episode III or just Sith
Star Wars The Original Star Wars or Episode IV or A New Hope (depends on who I'm talking to)
Empire and Jedi are usually Empire or Jedi

Blue2th
04-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Depends on who I'm talking to. Someone who might not know which movie I'm referring to when describing a scene, I'll mention the whole title. But then sometimes they still get confused.

Funny how A New Hope is called "the original Star Wars movie," or just "Star Wars." or the "first one" even though it's not the first in the story timeline.
If you can't get past that explanation in a conversation, there might be some confusion on the part of the un-Star Wars-knowledged.

Darth Jax
04-07-2009, 12:29 AM
A New Hope is "Star Wars" to me. The other episodes I refer to by name. I will occasionally shorten ESB to "Empire" and ROTJ to "Jedi", but I have no shortcuts for episodes 1-3. But honestly, I really don't talk about them unless I'm asking the girlfriend if she wants to sit down and watch them once again with me.

Slicker
04-07-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm actually pretty much the same as RB.

The Phantom Menace
Clones
Sith
Original Star Wars
Empire
Jedi

And when referring to the ANH, ESB, and ROTJ it's ALWAYS called The Holy Trilogy.

TeeEye7
04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
And do any of you old fogies still call ANH "Star Wars"?

You betcha! Because that's what it was first called! We old f@rts were puzzled when the film was released with Episode IV on the opening credits after seeing it a million times without it.

I usually refer to the OT by their full titles. The PTs get the number treatment.

DarthQuack
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I like to say A New Hope because it doesn't get much play for how great of a film it is.

JediTricks
04-07-2009, 06:24 PM
To me, "Star Wars" is both the first movie and the OT, while all 6 movies are "The quote-unquote Star Wars saga" - I don't actually say the "quote-unquote" part, I just make sure it's obvious I'm being clear that it's not my words when I say it. The OT I might call "The O-T" or "The original trilogy" or occasionally "The Star Wars Trilogy". The PT is almost always "the prequels" in a flat tone, said fast to inform the listener without handing any specific inflection to it.

Here's how I generally refer to the individuals:

Ep 4 - "Star Wars", "A New Hope", "The original Star Wars", "A-N-H", and for some reason, when talking to Tycho in person or on the phone, his prequel-love makes me say "Episode IV" without thinking, then I correct it with one of the others.

Ep 5 - "Empire" or "Empire Strikes Back", never with "the" (this was quite a problem when I worked at the video store), or on occasion, "E-S-B".

Ep 6 - "Jedi", occasionally "Return of the Jedi". I think I may have called it "Ep 6" a few times to fellow SW-fan friends, literally the word "ep" rather than "episode". Tycho always wants to call them by episode number which throws me.

Ep 1 - "Episode I" is virtually the only thing I call it because that's what the advertising pitched it as. Plus, "The Phantom Menace" sounds ridiculous to me even 10 years later. I've heard a few folks say "Phantom Menace", that always makes me think for an extra beat because I don't get it right away.

Ep 2 - "Episode II", occasionally "Attackoftheclones" (all 1 word run together).

Ep 3 - I kid you not, the first thing out of my mouth is generally "ugh", followed by "R-O-T-S" or "Episode III". Occasionally, I'll stumble over saying the whole title like so "Return of... Revenge of the Sith", though that may only occur in my head so it'll come out "[pause] ... Revenge ofthesith", 2 words, the second half often taking me by surprise that I got it right, so it may then proceed "no... wait, yeah".

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I'll make a list (LISTS... :drool: ), to delineate to whom and in what situtations...

AMONG KNOWN STAR WARS FANS:
A New Hope
Empire
Jedi
Phantom Menace
Clones
Revenge of the Sith

AMONG ASSUMED STAR WARS FANS:
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Episode I
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

AMONG NON-STAR WARS FANS:
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace (sometimes Episode I)
Episode II
Revenge of the Sith

AMONG ACQUAINTANCES/PASSERS-BY:
the original Star Wars
the Star Wars movie with snow
the last Star Wars film before the news ones
the first new Star Wars movie
Episode II
the most recent Star Wars movie

AMONG POSSIBLY TOTAL STRANGERS:
the Star Wars movie from 1977
the second Star Wars movie, from the '80s
the third Star Wars film in the '80s
the new Star Wars movie in the '90s
the Star Wars movie from 2002, the second new one
the Star Wars movie from 2005

There you go.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-07-2009, 08:25 PM
You betcha! Because that's what it was first called! We old f@rts were puzzled when the film was released with Episode IV on the opening credits after seeing it a million times without it.

I usually refer to the OT by their full titles. The PTs get the number treatment.
Wasn't it subtitled "Episode IV" starting in 1981, a full year after Episode V had already come out? I bet that was confusing! I remember seeing it in the theaters for the first time (as the Special Edition) and wondering why it was called Episode IV. I figured at the time that it was the first four episodes, even though that doesn't make much sense. I guess it made sense to a seven-year-old.

And JT, it's good to know that you don't put too much thought into this. ;) :p

Rocketboy
04-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Wasn't it subtitled "Episode IV" starting in 1981, a full year after Episode V had already come out? I bet that was confusing! The Episode IV was added before Empire was released, in one of the many rereleases between 77 and 80....probably once a sequel was guaranteed.

bigbarada
04-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Wasn't it subtitled "Episode IV" starting in 1981, a full year after Episode V had already come out? I bet that was confusing! I remember seeing it in the theaters for the first time (as the Special Edition) and wondering why it was called Episode IV. I figured at the time that it was the first four episodes, even though that doesn't make much sense. I guess it made sense to a seven-year-old.

And JT, it's good to know that you don't put too much thought into this. ;) :p

In 1978, Star Wars was rereleased for it's one-year anniversary (which I'm sure Kenner was extremely happy about since their toys were just hitting the stores in spring of 78). The Episode IV: A New Hope was added then, along with a couple of extra scenes (most memorably the scene when Chewie roars at the mouse droid and the droid turns around and runs off).

However, it was always just called "Star Wars" on the VHS package art until 1997.

I tend to refer to the movies as:

Star Wars - for Episode 4, unless I'm on the internet, then it's easier to just type out ANH and not have to constantly explain that I'm talking about the original film.

Empire Strikes Back - or ESB when talking on the internet

Return of the Jedi - ROTJ on the net

For some reason, I just can't bring myself to use Ep4, Ep5 or Ep6 when talking about the original films.

Ep1, Ep2, and Ep3, when I'm talking about the individual prequel films.

When I'm feeling snarky, then I just call them "the prequels." If I'm feeling generous towards the films, then I will refer to them as TPM, AOTC, and ROTS.

CW for the Clone Wars cartoon.

When referring to them in a collective sense, then it's OT for the original trilogy, PT for the prequel trilogy, and "the Saga" when just talking about all the films as a whole.

Kidhuman
04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Depends on who I am talking to about them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Actually, no, the Episode IV was indeed added in 1981:

The film was originally released as—and consequently often called—Star Wars, without Episode IV or the subtitle A New Hope. The 1980 sequel, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, featured the episode number and subtitle in the opening crawl. When the original film was re-released in 1981, Episode IV: A New Hope was added above the original opening crawl.
That's from Wookieepedia, but I'm fairly sure I've also heard this from more reputable sources. And there were changes from the first day on, with the mixing going on for mono, so there were at least many different audio tracks; I'm not sure when the mouse droid scene was added, but I don't think it was for any big event like the first anniversary. The Making of Star Wars has most of this information, I believe; I cannot recommend this book highly enough, even though I read it about a year ago.

You're also incorrect about it not being called ANH until 1997; you can see on the 1995 VHS (http://family-video.com/images/Star%20Wars%20Trilogy.jpg), it had the ANH subtitle, albeit smaller than the SW logo.

Slicker
04-08-2009, 02:44 AM
For some reason, I just can't bring myself to use Ep4, Ep5 or Ep6 when talking about the original films.

I'm the exact same way. It's almost an insult to the Holy Trilogy to put it in the same frame as the Prequels.

bigbarada
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Actually, no, the Episode IV was indeed added in 1981:

That's from Wookieepedia, but I'm fairly sure I've also heard this from more reputable sources. And there were changes from the first day on, with the mixing going on for mono, so there were at least many different audio tracks; I'm not sure when the mouse droid scene was added, but I don't think it was for any big event like the first anniversary. The Making of Star Wars has most of this information, I believe; I cannot recommend this book highly enough, even though I read it about a year ago.

You're also incorrect about it not being called ANH until 1997; you can see on the 1995 VHS (http://family-video.com/images/Star%20Wars%20Trilogy.jpg), it had the ANH subtitle, albeit smaller than the SW logo.

I would disagree with that Wookieepedia entry. I'm fairly sure the change was made in 1978. However, since I like to get my information from actual books and magazine articles from the time period, it's going to be really tough to find the original source where I read that. Also, since Lucas loves to rewrite history, I wouldn't trust any "making of" Star Wars source published after 1997.

It's been a while since I've seen those 1995 cases, but Star Wars is clearly the title of the film and the A New Hope is just a minor addition. Obviously it wasn't prominent enough for me to remember it. :p My point was that it's still

STAR WARS A NEW HOPE

and not

STAR WARS A NEW HOPE

as the other two are packaged.

Droid
04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I usually call all the prequels by Episode number, Episode I, Episode II, Episode III.

I call Episode IV, A New Hope or Episode IV to differentiate it from the rest of the saga. But I really think of the movie as Star Wars.

I call Episode V, Empire.

I call Episode V, Jedi.

El Chuxter
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I call them "newfangled talkies" or "moving pictures."

Ji'dai
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
SW movies generally don't come up in conversation too much. When they do, I usually call the OT the "original SW movies" and the PT the "newer SW movies."

JediTricks
04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
And JT, it's good to know that you don't put too much thought into this. ;) :pThere is no thought not worth thinking.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-09-2009, 09:33 PM
According to The Secret History of Star Wars by Michael Kaminski, "When Star Wars was re-released the following year in 1981, ther updated titles now read: Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope." He also quoted a 1980 Washington Post article: 'When "Star Wars" is reissued, probably next summer, the prints will include the subtitle, Episode IV: A New Hope. This adjustment may already be seen in the published screenplay, which came out last winter in an attractive book called "The Art of Star Wars.' Apparently, that Art of... book (released in Nov. '79) "was released with the very first published version of the script."

Does that answer the question at hand?

JEDIpartner
04-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I call them: Bobby, Cindy, Peter, Jan, Greg and Marcia. :o

JediTricks
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I call them: Bobby, Cindy, Peter, Jan, Greg and Marcia. :o
Are you saying ROTS gets hit in the face with a football and breaks its nose?

El Chuxter
04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
That might actually be an improvement. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Are you saying ROTS gets hit in the face with a football and breaks its nose?Hey, both had bubbling volcanoes.

"I don't want to hear about him anymore. It's always Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan."
"We don't know why she's dying. We think it might be the Tiki statue."
"General Skywalker. Your voice is cracking more than I expected."
"Owen, come in for the night. You know that the sun will keep on, keep on, keep on shining."

sith_killer_99
04-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Edit

Are you saying ROTS gets hit in the face with a football and breaks its nose?

No no no no no....

Cindy - TPM
Bobby - AOTC
Jan - ROTS
Peter - ANH
Marsha - ESB
Greg - ROTJ

It's supposed to be based on chronological age according to Anakin Skywalker!

Peter was a whiny snot nosed punk, Luke was a whiny snot nosed punk. Marsha was the pretty one, ESB was the best film.

BTW, Cousin Oliver is the Holiday Special, everything else takes place outside of cannon.:yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2009, 09:05 AM
No no no no no....BTW, Cousin Oliver is the Holiday Special, everything else takes place outside on cannon.:yes: Even Sam the Butcher? :eek:

JetsAndHeels
04-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Spike is doing a marathon of all the films. ANH is just starting.

sith_killer_99
04-18-2009, 03:37 PM

You mean Peter!;)

JetsAndHeels
04-18-2009, 04:20 PM
You mean Peter!;)

Right....to be followed by Marsha and Greg. :)

Congrats on the new addition to your family BTW

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-18-2009, 07:12 PM
For some reason, they're playing them II through VI and then IV again. Poor TPM gets all left out.

JetsAndHeels
04-19-2009, 12:05 AM
For some reason, they're playing them II through VI and then IV again. Poor TPM gets all left out.

TPM was on. I watched some of it.

ANH is on again now.

JediTricks
04-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Edit

No no no no no....

Cindy - TPM
Bobby - AOTC
Jan - ROTS
Peter - ANH
Marsha - ESB
Greg - ROTJ

It's supposed to be based on chronological age according to Anakin Skywalker!

Peter was a whiny snot nosed punk, Luke was a whiny snot nosed punk. Marsha was the pretty one, ESB was the best film.

BTW, Cousin Oliver is the Holiday Special, everything else takes place outside of cannon.:yes:Waaaaaaay too much thought put into that one.

For some reason, they're playing them II through VI and then IV again. Poor TPM gets all left out.No, it was on around midnight, it started it off. I actually kicked on AOTC for a few minutes, and was tempted to pop the DVD in but then they showed Hayden and it killed it for me.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-20-2009, 12:10 AM
I would disagree with that Wookieepedia entry. I'm fairly sure the change was made in 1978. However, since I like to get my information from actual books and magazine articles from the time period, it's going to be really tough to find the original source where I read that. Also, since Lucas loves to rewrite history, I wouldn't trust any "making of" Star Wars source published after 1997.

It's been a while since I've seen those 1995 cases, but Star Wars is clearly the title of the film and the A New Hope is just a minor addition. Obviously it wasn't prominent enough for me to remember it. :p My point was that it's still

STAR WARS A NEW HOPE

and not

STAR WARS A NEW HOPE

as the other two are packaged.The first time I saw ANH was in a re-release at a drive-in in 1978 or 1979. I used to think that I saw Episode IV at the beginning then, but I can't be sure. I thought I remember it saying Episode VI and wondering what that was about, but by ROTJ, I would have know what it was about, so I'm not confusing it with when I saw that movie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2009, 12:26 AM
No, it was on around midnight, it started it off. I actually kicked on AOTC for a few minutes, and was tempted to pop the DVD in but then they showed Hayden and it killed it for me.
Well, they showed TPM and AOTC on Friday night, and then the AOTC-ROTJ+ANH marathon the next day, so there. :p I watched bits here and there since I can't resist, but I generally don't like to watch too much on TV unless I'm going to watch the whole thing. I did watch the entire arena battle in AOTC since I just love it. I ended up switching over to Downfall of a Droid over on Cartoon Network for a bit and forgot how good that episode was. The animation looked really cheap compared to the later stuff, though. So I'm looking forward to rewatching the series soon.

El Chuxter
04-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Star Wars Episode I: Shemp
Star Wars Episode II: Joe
Star Wars Episode III: Curly Joe
Star Wars Episode IV: Moe
Star Wars Episode V: Curly
Star Wars Episode VI: Larry