PDA

View Full Version : Take the habanero challenge!

El Chuxter
04-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Who here has the cajones to eat a habanero or scotch bonnet straight up? (Heck, if you can get hold of a Naga Jolokia, which is about ten times hotter, go ahead and give it a shot. I've never been lucky enough to find one of those bad boys.)

I don't mean putting a tad in some recipe. I mean putting the whole pepper in your mouth and just eating it. And not swallowing without chewing, either. If you don't feel the pain, it doesn't count (though they're so hot, I'm sure they'd still burn pretty bad if you could just swallow one whole).

I've done this a few times, most recently this evening, simply because I was bored while waiting on dinner to finish cooking. The flavor is unique, rather sweet but with a very slight undertone that almost tastes like scrambled eggs. They're great with carrot or pumpkin, which complement the flavor and cut the heat enough to actually enjoy the taste without the intense burn. And it is intense. I ate just one pepper about four hours ago, and I can honestly still feel a slight burning sensation in my stomach. (Jalapenos and most other "mortal" peppers don't even register to me once leaving the upper throat.)

But enough about me: how many of the rest of you are stupid enough to have done this, too?

Lord Malakite
04-07-2009, 05:52 AM
But enough about me: how many of the rest of you are stupid enough to have done this, too?
No thanks. I've already seen first hand the damage this can do after watching Fettfield do it. He looked like he was wearing lipstick for the better part of two weeks.

mabudonicus
04-07-2009, 07:24 AM
I have done so several times. I still have some in the fridge that got passed over at Mabu-Con, I might check one out later and film it for posterity. They are truly magical. I grow them in my garden every year then dry them and put them in a jar for use whenever I want to make something challenging to eat.

Just a couple weeks ago Elf got me a sauce that has all the taste of habanero but way less heat- personally I really like things WAY too hot but being able to really taste the sweet flavour is kinda interesting...
:beard: Iso&Baws
One time my friend ate one and we had no bread in the house and he ended up eating tissues to try and kill the burn

mabudonicus
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Double post, you know the drill

I totally forgot about them but Elf got me a bag of my fave chips today, if you like habaneros but don't necessarily want to go full-bore on them, "Blairs Death Rain" habanero flavour chips are the ticket. They are irresponsibly hot for chips, I have never made it all the way through a bag in one sitting- for a while you keep eating to avoid the afterburn but eventually you mouth gets tired of the assault

Anyone tried them?
:beard: Iso&Baws
Oyes hot like fire tho easily handled

DarkArtist
04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
if i was still in college and stupid to do anything for money i wuold so take you up on the challenge, but those days are long past.

i once downed an entire bottle of Tabasco sauce on a dare for $100. couldn't have a drink for 1 hour after i finished the last drop. held oout for the $100 but must have downed about a case of Poland Spring after the hour was up.

El Chuxter
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Why does it not surprise me that mabs is the only non-wuss here? :)

(Okay, DA, got to give you props for the Tabasco. The acidity in it is high for my tastes, but it's got a nice burn.)

Ji'dai
04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Mild for me all the way! I do not like heat or hot and spicy food.

pbarnard
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Why does it not surprise me that mabs is the only non-wuss here? :)

(Okay, DA, got to give you props for the Tabasco. The acidity in it is high for my tastes, but it's got a nice burn.)

Horeradish, coarse ground, by the table spoon. Yummy!:love:

DarthQuack
04-08-2009, 01:27 PM
This should be a Man vs Food thread. Best show ever. Travel Channel, 10pm Wednesdays.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Why don't you have the super hot fire engine sauce?
Because I don't want super hot fire engine diarrhea.

- Jim Gaffigan (and I probably got it wrong, so sue me)

JediTricks
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I've been doing a lot of Tabasco sauce lately, about a quart over the last month, just them and chips, but I had to stop because it gave my tongue canker sores (ulcerations, not to be confused with cold sores which are herpes). But it's all about taste, I love the vinegar + tabasco flavor, and it's super low in sodium.

As for eating a habanero, I've done it when I was younger and had a cast-iron stomach, I don't like their weird sweet flavor unless they're roasted though. I won't eat the seeds of any pepper though unless it's part of a greater dish, they don't have flavor so they're all burn, not what I'm looking for.

HanSololol
04-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Who here has the cajones to eat a habanero or scotch bonnet straight up? (Heck, if you can get hold of a Naga Jolokia, which is about ten times hotter, go ahead and give it a shot. I've never been lucky enough to find one of those bad boys.)

I don't mean putting a tad in some recipe. I mean putting the whole pepper in your mouth and just eating it. And not swallowing without chewing, either. If you don't feel the pain, it doesn't count (though they're so hot, I'm sure they'd still burn pretty bad if you could just swallow one whole).

I've done this a few times, most recently this evening, simply because I was bored while waiting on dinner to finish cooking. The flavor is unique, rather sweet but with a very slight undertone that almost tastes like scrambled eggs. They're great with carrot or pumpkin, which complement the flavor and cut the heat enough to actually enjoy the taste without the intense burn. And it is intense. I ate just one pepper about four hours ago, and I can honestly still feel a slight burning sensation in my stomach. (Jalapenos and most other "mortal" peppers don't even register to me once leaving the upper throat.)

ut man one tiem my moms friend broght a salad for thanksgskgiving and put a pepper on cuz it looked liek a pumkin but it was not a pumkin cuz I ate it and it tasted like fire
I dont know wut CALZONES hav to do with it b

Wut the my sentence cut off in the midle stupid laptopp.

DarthBrandon
04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
I eat Habs all the time, it started in college when my friends & I used to go out to JJMuggs (Mabs should know the spot). We'd have contests to see who could eat the most, the one who ate the least paid the bill. I love all hot sauces from Franks red hot to Satan's blood (one drop for chili anymore could kill you.lol), even Jamaican Jerk spice has a nice kick to it. Good on chicken or beef skewers, the Jamaican sauce should be genuine & not from lets say president's choice lol. Around 15 years ago I dated a sicilian girl who's mother made her own hot peppers as all the store bought ones were too mild for her. I tried about a half an inch of one of these & my mouth was on fire for about three hours straight. It didn't matter what I did,(eating bread etc) nothing would cool the fire. Hottest habanero I ever had in my life.