PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Unique Star Wars Birthday Gift For A 9 Year Old Boy!

djpep
04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm new here and this is my first post. I live in Petaluma, CA and my Daughter has a best friend who is a boy turning 9 next month! He is a Star Wars fanatic and so is his Dad! He is getting ready to remodel his room with a Star Wars theme and wall paintings. He is like the son I never had and we are best pals. I would love to give him a special Star Wars related gift this year for his birthday! I'm not that knowledgeable about memorabilia and could use some help! I'm hoping to surprise him with something none of his friends have and he will Cherish forever! Thanks in advance for your help!
Best Wishes,

Phil

djpep
04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm new here and this is my first post. I live in Petaluma, CA and my Daughter has a best friend who is a boy turning 9 next month! He is a Star Wars fanatic and so is his Dad! He is getting ready to remodel his room with a Star Wars theme and wall paintings. He is like the son I never had and we are best pals. I would love to give him a special Star Wars related gift this year for his birthday! I'm not that knowledgeable about memorabilia and could use some help! I'm hoping to surprise him with something none of his friends have and he will Cherish forever! Thanks in advance for your help!
Best Wishes,

Phil

mtriv73
04-08-2009, 02:34 PM
9 is a tough age. He's probably not old enough for some of the nicer collectibles like the Force FX lightsabers (They're really neat and have great sound/light, but I can imagine a 9 year old breaking it on something.)

The new millenium falcon that came out last year is probably one of the best toys ever made. Tons of play value in the interior. Lots of lights and sounds. It's a little pricey at between $100 and $150 (if you can still find it in stores) but it's well worth the money. The price would insure that only a few of his friends, if any, also have it. The only other drawback is it's huge.

Along the same lines is the AT-TE that came out last year. Again lots of play value. If he's more into the prequels than the originals, I would go with that.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone will chime in with more ideas soon.

JediTricks
04-08-2009, 02:45 PM
An interesting concept. On the one hand, you could give him something that accents the decor, like one of the Star Wars Fatheads wall applications: http://www.fathead.com/entertainment/star-wars/
They are removable and replaceable, but they're only decor, they aren't a "thing".

There are a ton of high-end collectibles out there, so it's important to know where his fandom comes from as there are many aspects to Star Wars. Most likely, he's a fan of the movies, but there are 6 of them in 2 trilogies, the prequels (Episodes 1 through 3) or the original classic trilogy (Episodes 4 through 6), so knowing which can help greatly.

He may be a fan of a specific character or a specific group, some folks are fans of the Jedi, others fans of the Stormtroopers, some are fans of the prequel aliens, others fans of the Clone Troopers. Knowing which character or characters are his favorite is crucial.

It wouldn't hurt to know what aspects of the Star Wars saga he's into. Some folks like the space battles, others like the technology like the droids, while others still are into the lightsaber battles.

If you had unlimited funds, easily one of the most unique and rare collectibles on the market today is Sideshow Collectibles' life-sized C-3PO and R2-D2: [C-3PO Life-Size Droid (http://gt.sideshowtoy.com/exec/gt/ct_pers_st.html,user=ef027b27423e&ct=032122301&control_id=)] [R2-D2 Life-Size Droid (http://affiliates.sideshowtoy.com/Tracker.aspx?aid=1160&href=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sideshowtoy.com%2f%3fpage_id %3d4489%26sku%3d2215%26source%3d032708news)]
This one covers everything in Star Wars, as these characters in this look are found in 4 out of the 6 movies and are universally known. Of the 2, R2-D2 is the more desirable figure and appears exactly that way in all 6 movies, the droid is super popular with kids and even one of the main heroes.

But most of us don't have $5500 to drop on an R2-D2, so an idea of a budget would also help, as there is a HUGE range of items from all over the board generally starting around $50.

JediTricks
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
mtriv, I think Force FX Lightsabers are the greatest, and I think that's a good age to learn about treating your items responsibly without spending too much, they're only $100 so if he breaks it, it's not a tremendous loss. The only reason I didn't recommend one is because they aren't entirely unique, you can buy 'em at Toys R Us all across the country. Still, most kids don't have one, and they are super impressive. The Darth Vader saber is an easy one to recommend.

Ando
04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I agree, I have 4 F/X sabers and they still amaze me and my friends when they see them for the first time, but try this other unique option:

Master Replica Lightsaver Construction Kit. $69.99 at EE (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRSW616 (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRSW616)).

The LEDs don't light up along the entire blade, but it can change from red to blue to green and you have lots of options for handle configuration so it won't get boring or old for him right away.

My wife bought me one in 2007 and we got one for her 22 year old brother last Christmas and *he* loves it, so I imagine a 9 year old would love it, too.

I think the regular Force F/X sabers are great, but I would recommend the construction kit. A little less money with a lot of play value and it puts the Hasbro versions to shame when it comes to custom lightsaber configurations.

(the only drawback is unlike the regular sabers, it doesn't include a stand.)

Ando
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh bother. I just saw that EE is sold out. Sorry.

I still think they're pretty cool and worth the money if you can find one on the secondary market for $100 or less (it was a Radio Shack exclusive winter 2007 and that's what they sold for).

Good luck in whatever you decide!

JediTricks
04-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Honestly, the Force FX sabers are cooler because of the laddering LED blades, that's what makes them special, that and their authentic replica hilts. The kit failed at market because it had neither, it was just an expensive version of the Hasbro build-a-saber concept, and didn't deliver enough of the "cool!" factor needed. It's an ok piece, but I don't think it has that "over-the-top" reaction that a regular Force FX does. When I got my first regular Force FX for Christmas, my family was in instantly awe of it, it's an incredible piece and when turned on it receives gasps because of how truly nifty it is.

Ando
04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I'll agree that the regular sabers are better because of the high quality hilts and full LED blades, but I think just as big a part of the failure at market was it was a Radio Shack (Radio Shack?!) exclusive. RS (in my area) did d*** to promote them and it was hit or miss on which stores had them.

I thought it was a pretty neat set for what it was and perfect for roleplay/hands on activity for kids in between the age for a Hasbro kit and a regular MR or Hasbro FX saber.

I'd love to see a 2nd generation kit with an upgraded blade and an added 4th color (purple) added along with new handle pieces (backwards compatible with the 1st gen kit) included.

I'm sure Hasbro won't go any where with it though because they'd be competing against themselves with the toy kit.

Kidhuman
04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
If they are redoing hios roomand stuff, try a fathead of Darth Vader or one of the other characters. www.fathead.com

They are quite costly(around 100 dollars).

Rocketboy
04-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Something from officialpix (http://officialpix.com/) is fairly unique (and possibly expensive, depending on the pic/autograph).

JediTricks
04-09-2009, 12:52 AM
The reason it was a Radio Shack exclusive, I believe, is because the other retailers turned it down at mass-market.

Rocketboy
04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Two threads? (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=673084#post673084)

Ando
04-09-2009, 09:51 AM
The reason it was a Radio Shack exclusive, I believe, is because the other retailers turned it down at mass-market.

Bummer. I thought it was pretty neat.

Blue2th
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
If I were nine, I know I'd want the BMF! (well I'm not nine, and I still have one) So much play value, and you can add figures later for different Falcon scenes.

His dad's a SW fan too so maybe he's already got it. But does he want to open it for play? Some don't.
You might be able to find one on sale.
If he's already got it, you can get the figure set Battle pack with all the characters in the Falcon.

Ji'dai
04-09-2009, 01:51 PM
If by "unique" you mean he'd be the only kid on the block to have one, then you're probably looking at a high-end collectible or replica.

I'd probably go with the FX lightsaber. He's old enough to know that's it's not really a toy you can just bang stuff with, yet he could still "play" with it. And it's expensive enough that I doubt many kids his age have one.

How about a LEGO set? Lots of great kits out there that are fun to build and look great on display. Check them out here (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=416&d=322).

Jayspawn
04-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Check out Zazzle.com and order a classic Ralph McQuarrie art print. The Lazer Duel with the Luke vs Vader is always a classic. Or The Stormtroopers.

Also, recomend Wattographs.com for a good selection of autographs. They are very reasonably priced and have a variety of signature from Star Wars celebs.

JediTricks
04-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh, how about the Star Wars Chronicles book? That thing is gorgeous, and fairly unique. I've only experienced the Original Trilogy version, not the Prequels.

I'm going to merge this thread with the other one, leave a redirect.

JediTricks
04-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Bummer. I thought it was pretty neat.It is, but it's not nifty enough for the pricetag compared to A) the Hasbro set, and B) the regular Force FX sabers. Too pricey for toy-town, not exacting quality enough for replica-town.

I originally thought LEGO too, but the Hasbro BMF is around the same size and cooler and has a much lower pricetag, plus minimal building. And I didn't recommend the BMF only because it's not quite "unique" since it's a toy - though it is super rad.

djpep
05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey...I just realized the Steve's Rancho Obi Wan museum is right here in my town...Petaluma! How could I possibly get him a tour of this great place!?!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Hey...I just realized the Steve's Rancho Obi Wan museum is right here in my town...Petaluma! How could I possibly get him a tour of this great place!?!
Steve Sansweet is the owner of that collection and he is in no way connected to or affiliated with this website . . . just so you know, right off the bat. I'm not sure if he does tours or not, and I don't know how difficult it is to contact him, as he works for Lucasfilm.

scruffziller
05-19-2009, 07:14 PM
When he is nineteen, you can get him a real life ROTJ Princess Leia. :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I'll be an uncle soon. My niece will arrive in August and I thought about getting her something Star Wars for her room. I thought about getting her one of these talking plush dolls (http://shop.starwars.com/search/?topcatID=1300264&method=and&keywords1=talking+plush) that Star Wars Shop has on their site. Both Yoda and Chewie are really cute.

I also thought about getting her a Clone Wars animated 3PO and R2 since I like both of those figures myself and the characters are iconic. Has anyone seen anything else out there that would be kind of unique?

bobafrett
07-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I'll be an uncle soon. My niece will arrive in August and I thought about getting her something Star Wars for her room. I thought about getting her one of these talking plush dolls (http://shop.starwars.com/search/?topcatID=1300264&method=and&keywords1=talking+plush) that Star Wars Shop has on their site. Both Yoda and Chewie are really cute.

I also thought about getting her a Clone Wars animated 3PO and R2 since I like both of those figures myself and the characters are iconic. Has anyone seen anything else out there that would be kind of unique?

Many years ago they had the beanie Star Wars characters. Then after Episode I, they had a second wave including Qui-Gon, Jar-Jar, Obi-Wan, and Amidala.

Ji'dai
07-08-2009, 07:49 AM
I have some of those beanies. I have Salacious Crumb, Wampa, Jabba, and Figrin D'an. They still make plush Star Wars characters. I've seen them at Books-A-Million.