PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Utapau Clone Trooper

Blue2th
04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone getting this?
My wait list just got converted (no suprise) and he is due to arrive according to SS.
I like the looks of him with the weathering.
Got to have him especially if there's a Cody in the works.

Jayspawn
04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I passed for a few reasons. But first off -it is a really cool looking figure.

1. Holding out for Commander Cody.
2. Price. Would rather get a different character for the cost.

Be sure to post some pics when you receive yours. I'm sure Sideshow will come through with an awesome figure.

jedibear
04-09-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm getting him. It's my favorite specialized "deco" for the clones and yes, I'm really hopeful that Cody will be added to the collection at some point and I really want a regular Trooper to display him with.

I'm really impressed with the recently released Stormtrooper so I'm really looking forward to a prequel-era Trooper...

And yes, I'll be posting some shots when the 212 battalion Trooper arrives!

jonthejedi
04-10-2009, 04:49 AM
I'm with jayspawn on both points and I, too, would really prefer Cody, Gree or Rex. I have The $200 Han in Carbonite & Vader on the horizon...so I have to watch the funds.

AmanaMatt
04-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I will be getting a couple Clones: orange, red, blue - probably will pass until the Commander types hit....

Tycho
04-17-2009, 04:38 PM
I just got my notice that my Utopau Clone Trooper will be arriving and charged soon.

The newsletter didn't mention that, but rather heralded Piett. Either or both will be fine, but I will enjoy the trooper more as I intend to open him and display him right away.

From the Clones, I think this is what I'd get:

Shocktrooper*
Cody*
Kashyyyk Trooper*
Gree
Bly
Bly's Star Corps Trooper

*Without hesitation

Blue2th
04-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Just got my notice too. :thumbsup:

When I think about it, I haven't missed a single Prequel character SS has offered. Not going to stop now.
This is probably the only 12" Utapau Clone we'll see ever.

Missed a couple of OTC figures, but they seem to be easier to get on the secondary market.

Tycho
04-17-2009, 06:30 PM
This is probably the only 12" Utapau Clone we'll see ever.

Why would we see any others? Oh - Medicom? I haven't bought any of those.

I pick and choose my SideShow figures. I'm actually debating the Hot Toys John Connor and T-6 or 700. But I think they're way too much money for 12" figures.

I can't fathom spending $150 on an action figure.

Blue2th
04-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I haven't bought any Medicoms either. I've seen a couple of their clones up close, and for the price I'm not impressed. They probably won't make a Utapua clone, and not as good as this one I suspect if they did.
What I meant was, as popularity in the SW movies wanes, who's going to make any more 12" figures besides Sideshow?

SS Vader is going to be pretty close to $150 with shipping by the time he's ready in the fourth quarter.

I like the Hot Toys, but I don't have any of them because of the price. Going to have to look at the Terminator figures. I wouldn't mind one of the T series.

jedibear
04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Got my 18 to 20 day notice today...really looking forward to seeing how this trooper turned out...

Jayspawn
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Looking forward to the pics jedibear!

Tycho
04-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm very much looking forward to getting this piece and opening it up and posing it with my 12" Obi-Wan and Hasbro 12" Grievous.

Then I want Cody to complete the scene. (Or I hope Hot Toys or yes, SideShow, makes a Destroyer Droid (especially), or Magna Droids, (next most-wanted), or at least better Super Battle Droids and regular Battle Droids, and I'll make quite a Utopau scene with my figures!

I'd also buy an extra Destroyer Droid to fight my Hasbro 12" Captain Tarpals on the Kaadu!

I wanna start some wars! Are you listening SideShow?

Blue2th
04-20-2009, 11:22 PM
How are the 12" Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids from Ep. 1 and AOTC?
I haven't opened mine to see if they are very good to pose, or how they stack up with the Sideshow stuff. Might be a good stopgap solution for enemy Droids till SS makes them.

Tycho
04-20-2009, 11:33 PM
The regular battle droid 12" (and OOM-9) weren't too bad. They at least didn't fall over or bend. However, they couldn't double-handle their blasters and had no swivel joints in their forarms to allow more poseablilty - and they couldn't turn at the waist.

A more expensive BD figure would have flexible tubing on the waistline pipes to allow this articulation, and rotating wrists and forarms for more poseability.

The Super Battle Droid was even worse. It had no poseablility at the elbows or knees and just sort of stood there. Worse, the wrist couldn't turn to display the arm-blaster in firing position.

Yes, I bought multiples of them for stop-gap positions in my collection so that my Jedi and Clones could be fighting something, and I'd still recommend buying them for that reason - but you WILL NOT like them.

I like empty space even less, though.

Blue2th
04-21-2009, 12:35 AM
I think (I need to dig) I only bought one of each.

Maybe a Battle Droid skewered at the end of Captain Tarpals pike then?
That's one of my favorites with the Kaadu of course.

Hey, I was thinking couldn't you get one of those stuffed Iguanas in Tijuana and make a custom Boga for Obi-Wan? That would be cool.

Tycho
04-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Ewww. Gross. I pictured a real (biological) stuffed iguana that was once alive and having my 12" figure riding it.

No thanks.

If you mean some kind of plush toy, well I don't think it would match well with SSC's realism, but then again, the whole idea might be cute in the GH-tyle application of the term.

Blue2th
04-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Ewww. Gross. I pictured a real (biological) stuffed iguana that was once alive and having my 12" figure riding it.

No thanks.

If you mean some kind of plush toy, well I don't think it would match well with SSC's realism, but then again, the whole idea might be cute in the GH-tyle application of the term.
You pictured right. :laugh:
I remember they used to be for sale everywhere, even in the states. They are over-running Florida now so they might even be a delicacy ("eating barbecued iguana")
Yeah kinda gross, but they were all dried out, much like a leather handbag looking.
Little bit of paint, a saddle, some feathers and vualla Boga! lol

Tycho
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Using that logic, if I run over a possum with my car, I can have a taxidermist stuff it, pose it standing on two legs, add a bandolier, and then I'll have my 14" Chewbacca!

Quick: have a moderator rename this thread "The Red Neck's Guide to Star Wars Collecting."

Who needs a Utopau Clone Trooper when you can get one from West Virginia?

Blue2th
04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Well dang, it's a good thang I aint no redneck, or thems possums be in a heap a trubble!

Blue2th
04-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Is Sideshow confirming a Cody?
This was in the SS Q&A:

Q: How about another fan poll for Star Wars? Bonus points if there some Expanded Universe characters like TFU apprentice. Also, how about a Clone Commander, especially Cody since we have Kenobi and Cody’s clone troopers (hopefully shipping soon).

A: We are likely to run new polls to help determine the interest in seeing certain Star Wars characters turned into products, like we’ve done for Darth Vader-centric dioramas. Clone Commanders will see some love in our Star Wars lines, including Commander Cody.

Tycho
04-23-2009, 01:28 PM
That answer means "yes."

jedibear
04-25-2009, 09:53 PM
....but it doesn't confirm which line. My fingers are crossed that it is the 1:6 scale figure line. Man, I hope so! With the 212th Battalion Trooper out soon. I'd love to have a Cody to display with him!

Blue2th
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I hope so too, I don't buy the maquettes.

That will be three from or can be used for a Utapau scene.
Obi-Wan
Utapau Clone Trooper
Cody

Now all we need is:

Airborne Trooper
Boga

In the Q&A they mentioned beasts as being a possibility:

Q: Any chance you’ll ever make 1/6 scale Star Wars creatures? I would kill for a Sideshow Wampa and Tauntaun! And a Dewback or Bantha with real fur would be fantastic!

A: Not in 2009/2010, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility. Believe it or not, even the Rancor has been considered for 1:6 scale! They are figures that we would love to do, especially if they can be timed to complement other planned figures.

Jayspawn
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Not a fan of the Boga so I'd pass if they made him. A more classic beast like the Tauntaun, Dewback or Bantha would win me over though. We still need a 12" Tusken too!

Blue2th
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I think some of Hasbro's 12" line of Beasts are passable, probably too small in the case of the Dewback. Nonetheless, it's still good to have one with the Sandtrooper coming up. I have most of them though I think I'm missing Luke on Tauntaun. He should have the broken horn if they did it correctly.

Sideshow could start with one that hasn't been done yet.
I can't imagine the size of a Rancor and they were thinking of it.

AmanaMatt
05-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Can't wait. Pics of this have surfaced at Sideshow Collectors and the final product looks fantastic!

Blue2th
05-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Got a processing alert today for monday 11th.

Blue2th
05-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Just got charged and shipping notice for this guy.

Tycho
05-17-2009, 11:16 PM
UPS tried to deliver something to me today, but I was at the ballgame.

Delivery on a Sunday?

AmanaMatt
05-18-2009, 10:43 AM
UPS tried to deliver something to me today, but I was at the ballgame.

Delivery on a Sunday?

Thats news to me!

Tycho
05-18-2009, 08:50 PM
I just got the Utopau Clone Trooper today. I'm pretty impressed with him. He's actually wearing a bodyglove suit under the armor. It's not just the buck doll painted black as I expected it would be.

I posed him holding his larger rifle as I suspect Cody will come out with the smaller guns.

Later I want to try a kneeling and firing pose but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Bosskman
05-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Mine is being shipped with Carbonite Han.

jedibear
05-21-2009, 10:35 PM
The 212th Battalion arrived up north here today (well, one of them anyway ;))..

And man, am I impressed! The weatherng and paint apps on this are excellent...I really like how the armor isn't pure clean white and that it has a bit of a dull coat to it...looks really cool. It also feels harder and thinner than the Stormtroopers (but not cheap or flimsy)...really nice quality.

The shots I'm posting are ones I took of it right out of the box after work...no futzing or anything. The joints on mine seem okay although the ankles are pretty weak...the Trooper can hold a good standing pose unassisted, but I won't leave him displayed without a stand.

Sitting here posting this, I just can't stop staring at this figure...man. if Cody comes out this good, I'm gonna be in heaven!

This figure is fantastic! Well worth the wait....

Now, some shots...

Tycho
05-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Nice pictures, JediBear. I want to try and see if I can get mine kneeling and firing the rifle. I'm not sure the bodyglove suit will allow him to hold that pose.

Blue2th
05-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Wow! it looks real. Like he's full size and someone's in a suit of armor.
The sun exposure in the second pic with the blue haze. Looks like something Lucas would put in there. Happy accident?

I just got mine today also. Glad I bought this one. :thumbsup:

jedibear
05-23-2009, 10:58 AM
It was a happy accident :)....

This figure really is amazing. Gonna try and get some more shots over the weekend....

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 08:02 PM
The 212th Battalion arrived up north here today (well, one of them anyway ;))..

And man, am I impressed! The weatherng and paint apps on this are excellent...I really like how the armor isn't pure clean white and that it has a bit of a dull coat to it...looks really cool. It also feels harder and thinner than the Stormtroopers (but not cheap or flimsy)...really nice quality.

The shots I'm posting are ones I took of it right out of the box after work...no futzing or anything. The joints on mine seem okay although the ankles are pretty weak...the Trooper can hold a good standing pose unassisted, but I won't leave him displayed without a stand.

Sitting here posting this, I just can't stop staring at this figure...man. if Cody comes out this good, I'm gonna be in heaven!

This figure is fantastic! Well worth the wait....

Now, some shots...Great shots. Damn that's a good looking figure, the helmet is perfection, the deco on it scales PERFECTLY. I'm tempted to throw onto the waitlist, but I can't afford it anyway. How are the rifle's details? They look a little soft in the pics I've seen, yours and SSC's, but that could be a misread. It definitely looks overall as good as the Koto one, and that one kicks ***.

The print on the body suit in your pics looks a little silly though, the light is not that design's friend.

jedibear
05-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the compliments folks...

JT, the printed stripes on the body suit don't look that bad when the figure is in front of you. I think this figure is even more of a success than the Stormtrooper (and I really like that figure...enough that I bought another so Lord Vader can be flanked on both sides when he arrives :)).

The body still has a bit a looseness to it here and there with the joints...and yes, the weapons aren't quite as detailed (paint-deco-wise) as other weapons have been, but they do feature decent sculpts.

The only thing I hope Sideshow considers including for the next clone are some "relaxed" hands. I like the trigger ones and the fists, but at least one relaxed one would widen the display options a bit. And that stand...well, I like it...the only nit I have is I wish Sideshow would offer BOTH the clone-specific one and the standard SW one with the same figure exclusive.

Tycho....I included a couple of new shots featuring the trooper kneeling. As you suspected, the body suit does limit posing a bit, but that pose can be achieved.

I gotta say...when Sideshow steps up and puts in the extra effort like this figure clearly has, the result is really something to behold. This Clone is really an amazing figure. My wallet is shuddering at the thought of all the inevitable variants that are coming our way...I just hope they produce movie-specific ones and their commanders first before going off on a skittles-inspired tangent like Hasbro has... :)

Tycho
05-25-2009, 04:04 PM
JediBear, thank you for posting those truly great shots. You're an inspiration to me to try to achieve those poses that I wanted to put my clone trooper in.

Ultimately, I'd like to have the trooper kneeling and firing, Cody standing and aiming his blaster (or holding a hologram of the Emperor AND his blaster) while Obi-Wan is engaging Hasbro's Grievous, and maybe flank the CIS General with two Battle Droids (Hasbro, or better).

Hot Toys has made no secret they want a Star Wars license. Their specialty could be droids, a Chewie, and so forth so as to pick-up and compliment (rather than antagonize) SideShow collectors.

I believe Hot Toys teamed up with SideShow (who is Hot Toys' distributor anyway) and created the trooper figures and Vader for them.

AmanaMatt
05-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Great pics. I get my standard one tomorrow...!

Totally unrelated: saw Fanboys - kinda lame, but had its moments!

Tycho
05-26-2009, 02:18 AM
I ordered the standard one even when I had the chance at the exclusive. IMO, the stand - the only thing that's different on the exclusive - actually sucks. That's why I purposely ordered the same one you're getting Amanamatt. You'll be very happy with it.

AmanaMatt
05-27-2009, 02:43 AM
I ordered the standard one even when I had the chance at the exclusive. IMO, the stand - the only thing that's different on the exclusive - actually sucks. That's why I purposely ordered the same one you're getting Amanamatt. You'll be very happy with it.

Yeah, the stand looks weak, and if its actually weak, glad I passed. Easy way to save a couple bucks.

Got mine today - have yet to open it, but the detail is STUNNING!!!! This is an incredible effort by Sideshow. A total homerun - hope that their VADER is this good too....great, great start to the Clones!

To those that are on the bubble with this one: get it! Totally excellent.

sergiurusu
05-27-2009, 05:37 AM
Great pictures JB!!:thumbsup:

Blue2th
05-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Once again it looks real JB :thumbsup:

Sideshow got the weathering down. While I like the Stormtrooper in his shiny armor, I can't wait for the Sandtrooper. You know he's gonna be awesome with all his weathering!

JediTricks
05-28-2009, 05:15 PM
JT, the printed stripes on the body suit don't look that bad when the figure is in front of you. I think this figure is even more of a success than the Stormtrooper (and I really like that figure...enough that I bought another so Lord Vader can be flanked on both sides when he arrives :)).There's a glowing comment "don't look that bad". :p I'm surprised to hear you feel the whole thing works better than the Stormie, that's hard for me to hear because I don't have money to buy this AND Sideshow is sold out anyway.

The body still has a bit a looseness to it here and there with the joints...and yes, the weapons aren't quite as detailed (paint-deco-wise) as other weapons have been, but they do feature decent sculpts. Are the sculpts decent, really? In your photos, they both look fairly soft, simple sculpts, but I suppose that could be the lack of paint. Thoughts?

The only thing I hope Sideshow considers including for the next clone are some "relaxed" hands. I like the trigger ones and the fists, but at least one relaxed one would widen the display options a bit. And that stand...well, I like it...the only nit I have is I wish Sideshow would offer BOTH the clone-specific one and the standard SW one with the same figure exclusive.

I gotta say...when Sideshow steps up and puts in the extra effort like this figure clearly has, the result is really something to behold. This Clone is really an amazing figure. Well, it helps that Hot Toys helped with design, I think. That's their smartest move, knowing when they need help.

jedibear
06-07-2009, 01:49 PM
JT...yes, I'll concede that the weapon sculpts are lacking in detail compared to the OT weapons, but I wouldn't call them "soft" ...glancing through ROTS, they appear to be pretty accurate in appearance.

I'm really enjoying this figure....here's a couple of shots of him with General Kenobii...

Tycho
06-07-2009, 04:20 PM
The first pic looks like a real movie picture if I didn't know better. Nice job!

Luuuuuuke
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm getting my Sideshow Utapau clone today. I already have the Medicom Shocktrooper and the Medicom 501st clones, so I'm not buying those if Sideshow releases them. I love the Medicom Shocktrooper, visually. But I hate how easy these figures' heads fall off. And it's a pain to keep the head from falling off if you turn it. It's laughable how Medicom designed the neck-head peg. Pretty damn shoddy for $150 figures.

No matter what, the Medicom clones are not $60 better than the Sideshow clones, assuming they even are better (I have to say, I can't imagine the Sideshow Shockie "looks" better than the sleek Medicom one). I'm done with Medicom. And I'm done with regular clones, but I'd buy clone commanders if Sideshow releases them. I'd love a Bacara, but I think Cody should be first.

Great picture taking, by the way.

Luuuuuuke
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
No matter what, the Medicom clones are not $60 better than the Sideshow clones, assuming they even are better

Let me amend this, now that I have gotten this figure (yesterday). The Medicom clones are actually better. Not $60 better, but better. Except for a problem with the head staying on with the Medicom clones (not a small problem, granted), Medicom's clones are WAY better and more solidly constructed than Sideshow's clone.

When I opened the box I was wowed. The Sideshow 212th clone looked great! Loved the battle damage (Medicom's are battle-nicked more than damaged). But as soon as I pulled the sucker out, it felt like I had grabbed a jiggly, dead fish, without the sliminess. This is one jiggly, flimsy clone. The armor is ill fitting in the legs, the hands keep falling off. The armor also feels less solid than that of a Hasbro Stormtrooper.

Medicom's clones are way overpriced at $150. But Sideshow's clone isn't a $90 figure either. And if you really want to, you can always give a Medicom clone that real battle damaged, gray look. So on balance, while I have no regrets about getting Sideshow's offering and will no longer pay $150 for a Medicom clone, I think both are way overpriced.

jedibear
06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I must've gotten liucky I guess. The joints on the figure I got aren't the tightest, but the Trooper stands unassisted and holds poses well. I haven't had any issues with the armor not staying put when I pose it and I think the quality is really good.

I'm not gonna knock the Medicom versions...I don't own one, but I've seen them both in and out of the box. It was okay, a decent figure, but not enough for me to drop that kind of dough on.

I'm really impressed with Sideshow's Clone trooper....I'll be picking up the Shock Trooper and am looking forward to seeing them produce some of the specialty Clones (like Commanders or others).

Again, I'm not knocking the Medi or saying that Sideshow's is better....I think it's a matter of preference...and mine is Sideshow.

JediTricks
06-10-2009, 01:17 AM
JT...yes, I'll concede that the weapon sculpts are lacking in detail compared to the OT weapons, but I wouldn't call them "soft" ...glancing through ROTS, they appear to be pretty accurate in appearance.

I'm really enjoying this figure....here's a couple of shots of him with General Kenobii...I took a look at the blaster pistol at Tycho's house on Saturday, it wasn't a detailed look but it seemed the lines weren't as sharp as their earlier works. However, the weapon is really just poorly served by a lack of details in general, and a lack of weathering deco on this iteration of it.

Nice pics, the weakest element IMO is Sideshow's puny lightsabers, they just don't quite look right to my eye. I wouldn't go back to the Hasbro broomhandles, but still.

Ha, Obi-Wan's beard looks MASSIVE in those shots.

Luuuuuuke
06-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm not gonna knock the Medicom versions...I don't own one, but I've seen them both in and out of the box. It was okay, a decent figure, but not enough for me to drop that kind of dough on.

I'm really impressed with Sideshow's Clone trooper....I'll be picking up the Shock Trooper and am looking forward to seeing them produce some of the specialty Clones (like Commanders or others).

Again, I'm not knocking the Medi or saying that Sideshow's is better....I think it's a matter of preference...and mine is Sideshow.

My preference is Sideshow too, to be honest. The matte surface and weathering make it look a lot better in my opinion. And ironically, the fact the clone is so loose-limbed in many cases--certainly mine--make it so incredibly poseable. And I actually like using the stand, so the fact I can't easily stand him on his own is not a huge problem for me.

My biggest nit is the hands fall off so damn easily. And if I put the large rifle on the right hand, the wrists sag or spin around into an unnatural angle. I have to fuss with it to keep it looking right.

Medicom's clones would look awesome with better weathering and a matte finish, and they are better constructed from the neck down than the Sideshow clones (by that I mean they're sturdier, plus the undersuit is very well done on the Medi clones). But they have very dissapointing poseability. $150 is WAY too much for them.

jonthejedi
06-26-2009, 04:10 PM
I received my 212th trooper today on 2nd chance from SC. I'm really impressed...it does stand better & seems more balanced than many of their 1/6th scale(I actually prefer this release to the stormie). Also had the problems with the wrists; I wanted my poser to cradle the heavy rifle, more at ease than combat-ready. A clear Hasbro rubber tie helped with that. I have Medicom RAH too, and yes, oh the differences. I've argued this before. I have never had to use a stand on any of them, very well balanced and the joints are always tight. The plastic seems softer & shinier than Sideshow. I love the matte finish & detailing, however on the Utapau trooper also. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Based on this excellent 1st clonetrooper attempt, I really hope & pray they'll tackle the airborne trooper & cdmr. Cody at some point.

jedibear
07-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Cody is a must! Maybe at this year's SDCC....