PDA

View Full Version : Mme Jocasta Nu answers the "Parsec" question!

JEDIpartner
02-22-2002, 08:18 AM
I was off at the official site today and discovered that they finally addressed the question regarding "less than 12 parsecs". A parsec, being a measure of distance and not TIME, was applied to the run and Solo's claims. I guess I'll buy this one. :D

Q.Han claims that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs -- but a parsec is a unit of distance, not time. What's the deal?

A.While Captain Solo is known to make boastful claims that seem to defy the basic laws of space-time physics, in this particular case, an understanding of the mechanics of the Kessel Run illuminates this statistic.

The Kessel Run is a contest of speed and endurance for smugglers. Those who undertake it must deliver specified cargos (usually illicit in nature) to a series of divergently moving transport vessels. The smuggler must deliver the cargo before the transports wander out of the free trade lanes into restricted Imperial space.

Solo's record is impressive, since the transport vessels covered less than 12 parsecs of distance during his hurried run between them, a testament to his piloting and the speed of the Millennium Falcon.

Rollo Tomassi
02-22-2002, 10:55 AM
It's better than the lame excuse Kevin J. Anderson came up with. The one that had a bunch of black holes bending space time right outside Kessel. The Maw installation? Anybody remember this tripe? Gads. Anderson is a buffoon. AVOID HIS BOOKS.

JEDIpartner
02-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Thankfully... I have had no interest in his books. Apparently the Force has served me well! ;)

El Chuxter
02-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Better explanation, yes. But for this to be such a controlled universe, nothing jives with anything else! :confused:

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Madame jocasta Nu? And like she's anybody!!! :rolleyes: Dumb old bird in a hopsack kimono. Han's pretty sharp with the navicomputer and therefore he could have cheated and bent his route to make it less than 12 parsecs by risking going through some nebula or other. Not that I'm suggesting a solid theory here but I prefer to leave it to my imagination and so I'm disregarding Nu's answer outright. :)

JediTricks
02-23-2002, 12:47 AM
Wow, it took Lucas only 25 years to come up with a halfway plausible explanation for that line. I wonder how many JPL grants it took to get them to come up with this? Farbeit for me to quote Jay Sherman on this one, "fantacrap!" ;)