PDA

View Full Version : American Idol....die die die

sith_killer_99
04-14-2009, 08:52 PM
How I loath thee!

Well, nice, for the second week in a row Fringe was pre-empted due to this carp show and I'm sick of it! Luckily it was a minor 3 minute delay, and fortunately I set my DVR to record up to 30 minutes past the end time for Fringe.

Last week I lost a good chunk of Fringe because of AI.:mad:

When will this turd die?

Not anytime soon I'm sure, seeing as how it is FOX's crown jewel.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure who to hate more, Simon Fuller for creating it, FOX for airing it, or the mindless sheep who follow it and keep it's ratings at the top of the charts while quality TV is going down the tubes.

Reality TV makes me want to vomit, from "The Real World" up through and including "American Idol".:Pirate:

LTBasker
04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Simon Cowell will be leaving, so it will probably die after that.

El Chuxter
04-14-2009, 10:16 PM
It doesn't suck any more than anything else on network TV.

DarthQuack
04-15-2009, 04:14 AM
I can't believe people still watch this show.

Kidhuman
04-15-2009, 05:12 AM
How I loath thee!

Well, nice, for the second week in a row Fringe was pre-empted due to this carp show and I'm sick of it! Luckily it was a minor 3 minute delay, and fortunately I set my DVR to record up to 30 minutes past the end time for Fringe.

When will this turd die?

Not anytime soon I'm sure, seeing as how it is FOX's crown jewel.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure who to hate more, Simon Fuller for creating it, FOX for airing it, or the mindless sheep who follow it and keep it's ratings at the top of the charts while quality TV is going down the tubes.

Reality TV makes me want to vomit, from "The Real World" up through and including "American Idol".:Pirate:

I agree, same thing happened to me. Missed the ending last week. Extended the timer for 15 minutes to catch the ending this week.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Luckily, I didn't have to rely on the DVR to record Fringe as there is nothing else that I currently watch on Tuesdays.

This show is part of the reason I think that other programs have trouble on Fox. They stick it on two or three nights a week for a while, thus giving shows normally in those slots an extended hiatus. Since Fox has less prime time space than the big three networks, that doesn't leave a lot of room for other programming.

While I don't really care for the show, and have only watched the end of a program while waiting for another show to come on, I don't have as much to complain about the content as a lot of other reality shows. There was a time when everybody and their brother had a variety show. It makes for good entertainment that the whole family can watch. I just don't like the "Idol" concept, since I am more of a rock fan. The fact that a lot of runners up have more success than the winners shows a certain flaw in the program.

El Chuxter
04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
It's because the first and second place winners are tied into a contract with 19, who have so far been too stupid to realize why people voted for certain contestants and have forced them into bland pop albums, taking such a short-sighted view that they'd rather dump them after one album tanks than make an album that is actually consistent with the performer's style. Kelly Clarkson fit easily into a "Pat Benatar lite" mold, modern country is simply bad adult contemporary with a twang, and what passes for modern R&B is so on its last legs that all these folks fit. But for a Bo Bice, a southern rocker who actually topped the Allmans on "Whipping Post," or a Taylor Hicks, who would be the reincarnation of Joe Cocker if the guy were dead, it doesn't work. (Funny thing is, both their second albums, recorded and released after the company dropped them, are rather good. Hicks even used his $1 million from his first album contract to hire Eric Clapton's old producer to get a more authentic "old school" feel.)

I may loathe Daughtry and his weak Nickelback-style "rock," but losing was the best thing he could've done--he could release an album on his own terms. Same for Melinda Doolittle or Jennifer Hudson, both old school R&B singers.

Essentially, if you suck, go ahead and win. If you actually have talent, wash out before the final two. You'll have the exposure to get a contract somewhere, even if it's not a million dollar contract. Unless you're Kelly Clarkson, who is so far the only performer to not blow chunks when placed in the mold.

DarkArtist
04-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Simon Cowell will be leaving, so it will probably die after that.

if Simon Cowell leaves the show will fall, but I can FOX bowing down to the almighty Cowell demands and paying him a large amount of cash to stay with the show

Mad Slanted Powers
04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
It's because the first and second place winners are tied into a contract with 19, who have so far been too stupid to realize why people voted for certain contestants and have forced them into bland pop albums, taking such a short-sighted view that they'd rather dump them after one album tanks than make an album that is actually consistent with the performer's style. Kelly Clarkson fit easily into a "Pat Benatar lite" mold, modern country is simply bad adult contemporary with a twang, and what passes for modern R&B is so on its last legs that all these folks fit. But for a Bo Bice, a southern rocker who actually topped the Allmans on "Whipping Post," or a Taylor Hicks, who would be the reincarnation of Joe Cocker if the guy were dead, it doesn't work. (Funny thing is, both their second albums, recorded and released after the company dropped them, are rather good. Hicks even used his $1 million from his first album contract to hire Eric Clapton's old producer to get a more authentic "old school" feel.)

I may loathe Daughtry and his weak Nickelback-style "rock," but losing was the best thing he could've done--he could release an album on his own terms. Same for Melinda Doolittle or Jennifer Hudson, both old school R&B singers.

Essentially, if you suck, go ahead and win. If you actually have talent, wash out before the final two. You'll have the exposure to get a contract somewhere, even if it's not a million dollar contract. Unless you're Kelly Clarkson, who is so far the only performer to not blow chunks when placed in the mold.Yes, and Clarkson got a lot of criticism for that previous album that she insisted on doing her way. I just listened to the clips from My December, and it sounds pretty good for a pop album. I saw a review on iTunes calling it too angry and that she should stop trying to be a punk rock chick and go back to her pop roots.

pbarnard
04-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Wouldn't that be color damaged roots? Oh wait, not talking about hair...

It should go away so the people who think this is the only way they can "make it" in life, can go away. If your only ambition is to be on a TV show than fade into obscurity, than please, accelerate your fading into obscurity. Most people, even those on the show, will never have the talent of the Jonas Brothers, never mind anyone with actual singing and song writing talent!

OC47150
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM
How I loath thee!

I missed the last 5 - 10 minutes of last week's Fringe because of AI!! Made me mad!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

I quit watching AI after the Sanjaya fiasco,but I do watch the audition part at the beginning of the season. After the auditions, I turn it off. The Sanjaya season proved that talent didn't matter. It showed that AI was a popularity contest.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I missed the last 5 - 10 minutes of last week's Fringe because of AI!! Made me mad!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

I quit watching AI after the Sanjaya fiasco,but I do watch the audition part at the beginning of the season. After the auditions, I turn it off. The Sanjaya season proved that talent didn't matter. It showed that AI was a popularity contest.
From what I heard, the Sanjaya thing might have been an attempt to subvert the whole thing. Enough people vote for someone really bad, and that could show what a joke it really is.

OC47150
04-21-2009, 08:30 PM
An interesting article I came across tonight.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/american-idol-how-to-condense-the-show-to-20-minutes--254

Darth Duranium
04-22-2009, 12:23 AM
How I loathe thee!

When will this turd die?

I could not agree more.

You can drag modern sitcoms off to the Vomitorium as well... all of them.

NerfTW
04-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Noooo! If it weren't for American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, and other ****ty reality shows, my shows would actually get taped, and I might have even more reasons to procrastinate! That's all that tapes on my DVR, are my girlfriend's stupid reality shows.

We fight about this all the time. I find a new show I want to watch, but OH NO, she's got TWO reality shows taping that day. And forget about saving them for later, the stupid thing fills up in less than a week. Especially since we have all of last season's Heroes still on there for her brother and father to watch when they come over.

She doesn't even watch Idol. She just fast forwards through it. Probably because this year is pretty pathetic, even compared to others.

I agree that the run tme is probably why other shows are failing, but to Fox, the ratings for it blow away everything else on the network. Same reason Baseball always pre-empts Simpsons. They get more ratings going into overtime than the would saying "**** off" and cutting the broadcast.

There's no reason for Idol to be live. This is is 2009, they can tape it at 6 or 7 pm, and figure out what to cut to make it an hour by the time it airs, and just keep the phone lines open an extra hour.

UKWildcat
04-22-2009, 09:38 AM
This show is garbage. I watched some of this season towards the beginning (because when this monster starts there is absolutely nothing on against it, and I will have it on in the background), and the new judge really grinds my gears - more so than Paula (which I didn't even think was possible). She is just awful - I'd like for someone to jack her jaw. Plus, that Adam guy already has this season won (and has for many weeks apparently), so there is even more reason not to watch. That, and the NBA playoffs.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm not the only person who thinks Adam is horrible, am I? They keep on about his "artistic integrity," and that talentless chameleon wouldn't know it if it bit him on the arse.

pbarnard
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
The only attention I ever paid to American Idol was when it was on Tony Kornhieser's radio show. Since he couldn't swing a deal for 6 months this year, no TK Radio Show, no American Idol. Happiness Quotient is up.

LTBasker
04-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm not the only person who thinks Adam is horrible, am I? They keep on about his "artistic integrity," and that talentless chameleon wouldn't know it if it bit him on the arse.

Isn't he the one that sang a ridiculously horrible version of Mad World? If so, then I hope he wins. Simply because it will mean that we'll never hear from him again just like the rest of the winners, and he will never plague public ears with his mutilated Mad World again.

UKWildcat
04-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Simply because it will mean that we'll never hear from him again just like the rest of the winners...

Yeah! Speaking of which, what ever happened to Carrie Underwood?!?!?!? :rolleyes: ;)

pbarnard
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
My wife was watching last night as I was leaving for the store. Who was butchering September by Earth Wind and Fire. That tone deaf howler monkey should be shot, decapitated, poured in concrete, launched into the sun, only to be followed by a fusion- stopping-sun buster-bomb-that-will-implode-the-solar system-into-a-blackhole.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
She's probably drunk in an alley with Kelly Clarkson somewhere.

Hmm, actually, that doesn't sound too bad. :beard:

LTBasker
04-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah! Speaking of which, what ever happened to Carrie Underwood?!?!?!? :rolleyes: ;)

You jest, but I truly have no idea. What did happen to her? Granted, out of all the previous winners she's the one I've heard a bit more about ever since she won, but still only a slight bit. I think the most recent thing was a commercial from a few months back.

Oh, and a bit of a fascinating note, I actually attended the college graduation that Underwood was absent from. I was there for my sister, and she went to the same college and graduated the same year as Underwood, but Underwood was absent due to the Idol stuff.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Carrie Underwood is a giant in the generic mass of "adult contemporary with a twang" that passes for modern country music, and is the most successful former contestant by a long shot. Kelly Clarkson would be next, with a nice little string of hit singles from her four albums.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Isn't he the one that sang a ridiculously horrible version of Mad World? If so, then I hope he wins. Simply because it will mean that we'll never hear from him again just like the rest of the winners, and he will never plague public ears with his mutilated Mad World again.Are you comparing it to the Tears for Fears version or the Michael Andrews version? I just watched it online and saw that he did it in the style of Michael Andrews. I didn't think it was as good overall, but he did hit some good notes.

Carrie Underwood is a giant in the generic mass of "adult contemporary with a twang" that passes for modern country music, and is the most successful former contestant by a long shot. Kelly Clarkson would be next, with a nice little string of hit singles from her four albums.Not only that, Carrie Underwood has won quite a few awards, including the most recent Country Music Entertainer and Female Vocalist of the Year.

Blue2th
04-22-2009, 07:36 PM
So what was Gene Simmons doing as a judge, I saw on one of those Hollywood Extra snippets? He was in place of the new girl judge.
I think he would make a good one.

I think the emo kid sings good. He also selects good choices for songs IMO.
That Jeff Buckley version of a Johnny Cash song though cool was way out there in left field and above Simon's and everybody else's head. Though some of us understood what he was trying to do.

I don't know, I don't pay that much attention to it, but my sisters and hot friends like it, so...

OC47150
04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
So what was Gene Simmons doing as a judge, I saw on one of those Hollywood Extra snippets? He was in place of the new girl judge.
I think he would make a good one.

Gene was one of many guest judges from about 3 years ago. It was during the audition portion of the show. Gene and LL Cool J were among the judges.

Darth Duranium
04-23-2009, 02:11 AM
That tone deaf howler monkey should be shot, decapitated, poured in concrete, launched into the sun, only to be followed by a fusion-stopping-sun buster-bomb-that-will-implode-the-solar system-into-a-blackhole.

Now that's funny.:thumbsup:

I never watch any of those crap shows but now, perversely, I almost want to see who you're talking about, PB. Almost. I've seen enough to know that I'd feel the same way and end up sledging my TV.

Has anyone seen that singing Sasquatch Fishwife woman and that disturbing wailing child from the British "reality" talent show? Combine them, the ShamWow guy, TMZ, and one of PB's sunbusters and the universe would be a better place.

pbarnard
04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Was just sitting down to dinner, late night in the lab, when the Tone Deaf Howler Monkey was being praised as one of the best of the night.

I'm never sleeping till I build my fusion-stopping-sun buster-bomb-that-will-implode-the-solar system-into-a-blackhole.

sith_killer_99
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
perversely, I almost want to see who you're talking about, PB. Almost. I've seen enough to know that I'd feel the same way and end up sledging my TV.

be careful, I hear that's how it begins, one or two episodes here or there, the next thing you know, you're hooked, and AI has bigger numbers than before!

Watching lead to ratings, ratings lead to syndication, syndication leads to suffering!

the ShamWow guy

Someone didn't get the memo. The "ShamWow" guy is officially known as the "ShamPow" guy hence forth.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=40190&highlight=shamwow

Is it any surprise?

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=39821&highlight=sham

:twisted:

El Chuxter
05-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, as of this evening, everyone with an ounce of talent is gone from the show, so no reason to continue watching. It seems fitting that Paula Abdul performed her comeback song :rolleyes: on the same night this season shut the door on anyone worthwhile.

Adam, Kris, and Danny should star in a movie about Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper, which strives for total accuracy by actually crashing their plane into a mountain.

pbarnard
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
But the big news is Paula Abdul really was on drugs!!! She's not naturally that out of it!

Darth Duranium
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Watching lead to ratings, ratings lead to syndication, syndication leads to suffering!

Hmph. American Idol. Heh. ShamPow Vince. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things.:upset:

I won't stray from the path and watch any of 'em... confidence is high.

Thanks for the support, fellas.

OC47150
05-27-2009, 08:08 PM
This doesn't help AI's cause.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/at-t-confirms-their-employees-helped-kris-allen-fans-text-votes-during-idol-final/23054?nc

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2009, 12:42 AM
A.I. (aka Artificially Intelligent) had on a re-run tonight of an episode where the contestants performed Michael Jackson songs. I only watched the first 5 minutes, and I got more confirmation why this show never stays on in front of my eyes more than seconds between channel changing.

One of these years, they will really bring out graven images and false gods for viewers to vote as the new deities. Ugh. :upset:

OC47150
06-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Is that what that was? My mother wanted to see the scheduled show but was surprised to see the AI stuff. We didn't watch.

OC47150
07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Since I haven't watched past the audition segments for the last couple of seasons, I have no idea who this guy is but this article is interesting.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/253976/ex-idol-contestant-says-show-is-rigged/

I've read where the contract the kids are required to sign is pretty strict. Clay Aiken had an attorney who got him out of his contract, and I think a few others have followed suit, too.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-30-2009, 06:36 PM
I think the one comment I read sort of sums up my feelings:

Hey, surprise surprise, it's the music business! Why is this supposed to be a shocking revelation?

Musicians have been screwed royally over the years in far worse ways. If Joyner is so savvy about this why did he even get involved? Because it's worth the massive exposure even if you don't make the cut but are memorable for one reason or another.

So, when you go into this, you know that you might be giving up some control in exchange for a chance at fame. Some would call it "selling out." I just say it's doing what you want, need, or are willing to do to reach your goal. Some would jump at the chance, while others would never submit themselves to it.

DarthQuack
07-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I love America's Got Talent....although I didn't agree with all their choices the last two nights. :mad:

2-1B
07-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm not making a joke here, but I read the other day about an Idol contestant being killed in a hit and run :cry:...then I saw this "die...die...die" thread title. :eek:

Qui-Long Gone
07-31-2009, 01:41 PM
^Funny in an ironic way.

One day a thousand years from now, humanity will laugh at us for this show (and we'll have to give account for other things such as Madonna's fame)! We'll be like the fools who thought the world was flat....:mad:

OC47150
08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090805/ap_on_en_mu/us_american_idol_abdul

The slow, painful death of AI now begins.

El Chuxter
08-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Kara is not stupid enough to carry the show by herself.

pbarnard
08-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Kara is not stupid enough to carry the show by herself.

More drugs, it worked for Paula:thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
08-08-2009, 09:28 PM
^ but not Billy Mayes....:cry:

OC47150
12-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Let's see how long the show lasts after Simon leaves. He is the show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091223/ap_en_tv/us_people_simon_cowell

2-1B
12-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Too bad he's not leaving now, to spare us from another season of this nonsense.

DarkArtist
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
tommorow night it starts all over again. should be interesting to see Hollywood week and the interaction between Simon and Ellen.

pbarnard
01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Why can't meteors hit the places I want them to hit on cue? I am patient enough to wait for either the start of the competition or the finale, but please, live (via 5 second delay or whatever it is) coming ploughing down on the Kodak Theater? Or all the little tween/teen girls die from H1N1? Am I evil for wanting this?

sonofsokol
01-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I believe the adjective you are looking for is benevolent (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/benevolent), not evil.

OC47150
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I don't know if I'll even watch the audition part of the show.

El Chuxter
02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Based on what I've seen so far, I'm hoping Casey James makes it through, so as to get the exposure necessary to get a record deal, but doesn't win, so he won't put out a **** album geared toward teenyboppers. That guy's good, easily the best I've seen on the show since at least Taylor or Melinda.

(Taylor won; his first album sucked something I can't say here. Melinda didn't, and her debut album wasn't half bad. As lousy as Daughtry is, even his stuff, unencumbered by the depredations of the 19 machine, is better than any of the 19-produced albums.)

2-1B
02-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I heard Melinda Doolittle's album did very well on her home planet, just not here.

El Chuxter
02-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Sadly, nothing that could be considered real R&B does well anymore. It has to be this hippity-hop, vocoder nonsense. Girl might be fugly as homemade sin, but she does a mean Robert Johnson cover.