PDA

View Full Version : Excess carp...getting rid of it all!

sith_killer_99
04-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Well, I woke up one morning and realized that I just have too much carp. I need to get rid of some of this stuff.

I have tons of DVD's I never watch. I have tons of books I have read, but will never read again. Sadly, I have tons of Star Wars figures I have not seen in years. I no longer feel the need to keep these in my collection.

I have decided to stick with Gentle Giants and Kotobukiya only from here on out.

Now the question remains....

Ebay
Craigslist
Amazon

Or should I just say the heck with it, and send Brian's an e-mail with a list of my SW figures?

Anyway, has any one else hit a point like this, just too much junk in your life?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Are the figures carded or loose? You could always post a list here and see if there are any takers before going to another site.

I feel a similar thing with some older toys that are just sitting in the basement. I loved them when I was younger, but haven't seen them in years (mostly Power Rangers stuff and LEGOs). On the other hand, many of them have at least a degree of sentimental value to me. But that sentimental value is here whether or not the toys are. I need to cut some of the fat.

sith_killer_99
04-14-2009, 11:12 PM
I have a massive collection of loose and carded figures. Most, if not all of my carded figures are in star cases.

Also, one of my big areas of special interest was foreign (non U.S.) carded figures. Canadian, Italian, POTF2, OC, GC, FF, OTC, CommTech, prototype uncut cards, etc. It's all gonna go.

I will likely give first opportunity to folks here, I just need to put together a long long long long list.:yes:

As I mentioned, I will be keeping my GG and Koto's so no CIII Sandtrooper or HTF Koto Sandtrooper...they are MINE! LOL;)

You know, it's been a long time since I have seen anyone selling or trading here on the forums.:p

bigbarada
04-14-2009, 11:22 PM
You'd probably make more money selling everything individually on Ebay (or Craig's List), but then you have to deal with listing fees, final values fees, Paypal fees, buying packing materials, shipping charges and that's not even counting the occasionally pain the butt buyer who just makes your life miserable.

So, if you're just trying to eliminate clutter and stress, then Brian's Toys might be the best option for getting rid of a large collection all at one time. However, I've been selling stuff to them off and on for over ten years now and they're becoming increasingly selective of what they buy. I can only imagine that if Hasbro is noticing a significant drop in sales to casual collectors, then stores like Brian's Toys might be noticing it as well and might not be willing to buy figures that they're only going to be able to sell for a dollar or two.

sith_killer_99
04-15-2009, 12:15 AM
I will likely do a combination of things. As for the Star Wars stuff, I will probably sell complete sets/lots on Ebay.:rolleyes:

I may see if Brian's will give me a quote, I sold them some G.I. Joes stuff years ago and it went okay, I made out ahead, but would have done better selling on Ebay.

I want to minimize the head aches, so I will try to cut down the number of auctions.

The biggest $$$$ part of my collection is my complete MOMC Canadian OTC collection, some of those figures were VERY difficult to acquire and, as it is my favorite line, I may just keep 'em.

I'm not looking to make money on this stuff, but I don't want to see 10 cents on the dollar either. LOL

As for the books and DVD's they will likely go on Amazon.

TeeEye7
04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I have tons of DVD's I never watch. I have tons of books I have read, but will never read again.

How about donating the DVD's to veteran's hospitals? Maybe your local VFW could assist with that.

Libraries are hurting in this current economic state. How about sending books their way? Or, again, maybe your brothers-in-arms might appreciate some of the above. I sent stuff to chrisc when he was in Afghanistan, and I know he appreciated it.

Just a thought (unless everything needs to turn a buck).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm so effin' furious that e-bay FORCES you to use paypal. That's just assinine. IF they were picking up the fees that cause me to lose money, i'd be all for it, but mysteriously, they don't. :upset:

sith_killer_99
04-15-2009, 01:14 PM
How about donating the DVD's to veteran's hospitals? Maybe your local VFW could assist with that.

Libraries are hurting in this current economic state. How about sending books their way? Or, again, maybe your brothers-in-arms might appreciate some of the above. I sent stuff to chrisc when he was in Afghanistan, and I know he appreciated it.

Just a thought (unless everything needs to turn a buck).

All good ideas, I am sure some of these would be good candidates for programs like the ones you mentioned. I know they had a few of these (DVD's) in Manas, when we were on our way to Afghanistan. I didn't see any books, but I'm sure there is some kind of program that would take them. Most of the books are paperback and libraries often will not take them.

I did something similar with our excess dishes and house wares. When I got back we bought new furniture and dishes, we ended up giving them to the lending closet on post, likewise we do stuff like this with all our excess (non-perishable) food whenever we PCS to a new location. We donate to the ACS (Army Community Services).

Good call, thx!:thumbsup:

Darth Duranium
04-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm not looking to make money on this stuff, but I don't want to see 10 cents on the dollar either. LOL

There's the rub, Sithkiller. It's a buyer's market on eBay right now... prices for sellers are severely depressed, IMO.

I'd probably wait until the economy is rebounding or there's a new SW project that excites the fan base (like the forthcoming Padme and Leia Jello Wrestling Hour). Right now, there are a lot of dudes out there who are dumping their collections on eBay for much-needed cash.

I was toying with the idea of selling my AF and larger ships but, like you, I don't wanna lose money on the deal... breaking even would be fine... so I'm gonna wait a while.

I think the key to collecting SW sanely is to keep your interest focussed on select areas... mine's exclusively small ships.... unless you're rich like Bill Gates and have a plane hangar to store all of it in. It's just way too easy to get carried away and end up with a whole house full of "carp", so to speak.

Good luck, no matter what you decide to do.:thumbsup:

Old Fossil
04-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I've been selling some older stuff here and there on Ebay, small lots, mainly Prequel Trilogy and older Clone Wars stuff. Needless to say I'm not making a profit, but the figures were just sitting there in storage; and the clone-related toys seem to do really well at auction.