PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy DVDs coming THIS YEAR?

JEDIpartner
02-22-2002, 09:45 AM
French DVD site, DVD Alliance, announced that it had run across some interesting IMPLIED information regarding the release of the original trilogy on DVD. For those of you who don't read French, I have translated this article for you. You can follow the link to check out the screenshots.

http://www.dvdalliance.net/article.php?sid=2454

In the last issue of DVD Vision, number 19, a "Collector's File" DVD dedicated to The Planet of the Apes release came with the magazine. This DVD produced in conjunction with FPE (Fox Pathé Europa) highlights several clips of films available in DVD (X-Men, Titanic, Independence Day, Abyss) or coming (Ice Age, Planet Of The Apes, The French Connection). There were also Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope and Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi clips shown. No mention of it is made on the DVD or in the To Be Released articles, but nothing can prevent us from thinking that the Star Wars Trilogy may be released on the DVD format this year. These images are also visible in the menu of the DVD. Here is a series of screenshots taken on this DVD. To find out more, I can only recommend you the purchase of DVD vision issue 19, the DVD will become a collector's item, I am sure of it!!! You can order it thanks to our partner this below.

If you can recall, a French DVD magazine was one of the first places the news of the TPM DVD was seen!

Pendo
02-22-2002, 09:57 AM
I really hope it is coming soon. We can only hope :D.

PENDO!

Rollo Tomassi
02-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Why does no one believe me when I said they were staggering the DVDs every year over the next 6 years? Sigh. Here's the breakdown ...again.

2001 -- Episode 1
2002 -- 25th Anniversary Episode 4
2003 -- Episode II
2004 -- ESB
2005 -- ROJ
2006 -- Episode III
2007 -- Ultra Super Duper Deluxe 15 disc collectors set with Multiple versions of the films, Holiday Special, and a look at the upcoming third trilogy.

JEDIpartner
02-22-2002, 12:58 PM
you slay me!

Hahahahahaha- FUNNY!:mad:

You can post it again and again and again...! Why? Because you's me fwend! :D

rdrunr89
02-22-2002, 01:14 PM
Rollo,

Not the holiday special....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (screaming like I just found out Darth Vader was my father...oh wait. :D )

sith_killer_99
02-23-2002, 06:03 AM
This is Geroge Lucas speaking!

There is no Holiday Special! There never was and there naver will be! It was simply a case of MASS HYSTERIA! If anyone mentions it again I will personally have my lawyers issue a cease and desist order! Is that clear?

Beast
02-23-2002, 06:24 AM
Ok everyone, repeat after me until Lucas announces the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD this year. :D

George Lucas, who arn't insane
hallowed be thy movies.
Thy prequels come,
they will be done,
on three year Intervals.
Give us this day our trilogy DVD's.
Forgive us our pleading,
as we forgive you for waiting.
And lead us not into bootleg temptation,
For the Original, Special, and Archival Editions are yours,
now and Forever.

Amanaman. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-23-2002, 06:57 AM
What's a DVD? Is this anything to do with that new Televisual medium thingy. Amazing isn't it that they can breed people small enough to fit inside that mahogany chest with the glass screen. And so many of them too! but where do they all go when the shows are over.......? :(

Don't believe the hype. Until i see a big advert on TV or in a magazine or get a homing beacon from sw.com that says 'exciting news! DVDs to come in spangly shiny cases with stuff you can't access and Rick Potty mouth McCallum in his returning spot of 'F' word over use. All the movies as you don't remember them with new added features and CGI critters and ships and environments that don't look pasted in honest, Jar Jar scenes that link the entire saga together. PLUS! An interview with george where he will finally explain the Darth Sidious/Emperor palpatine connection... Be the first to own this 67 disk set available only in the United States and as a partwork with glossy magazine and free gifts you'll never recieve just like the fact files by D'Agostini publishing. Get ready to rumble this coming fall fall 2015 it's gonna be the bestest goodest set of collectible limited edition pre scratched DVD movie releases EVER!' I won't believe anything.

or words to that effect...... :stupid:

Pendo
02-23-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by DARTH DUBIOUS
...glossy magazine and free gifts you'll never recieve just like the fact files by D'Agostini publishing.

So I'm not the only one De'Agostini don't send their stuff to? I'm still waiting for them to send me issue 10!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

PENDO!

Jargo
03-02-2002, 02:17 PM
PENDO, another Merseysider! I had problems with the fact files too. I ordered them when it was just the trial run and got really shoddy good from them and stuff was bent and missing. I told them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. They still owe me two issues the b*stards! :mad: :frus: from what i can gather, they've stopped the stores stocking it and it's just the subscribers getting it now. partwork my arse! More like patchy work. I'd save your money and buy the books they nicked all the info from. SW encyclopedia, essential guides, visual dictionaries, incredible cross sections....... :rolleyes:

Back to the DVD, I want to see the original master cut of ANH with a scene by scene documentary style commentary on why and how scenes were constructed the way they were. This should include a full reinstatement of cut footage with or without new sound and effects. just to get a feel of how the movie might have looked. Then I want the cinema release version from 77. Then the SE version.

I want to see massive photo galleries of all the old stuff in hi-res and loads of nrew pics that we've never seen before.

I want to see the audition tapes, the outakes and bloopers. I want to see the screen tests for costume, production stills and set designs. I want to see the definitive answer to my question about the Lars homestead not having enough craters in the ground and thus not being able to have light from above spilling into the garage forecourt where the skyhopper is sitting in the garage scenes. ;)

I want a full soundtrack of every last note of music John williams scored. A frelling huge glossy book, And a thank you from George for lining his pocket all these years. :D :crazed:

And that's just for ANH...

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 03:46 PM
That would be something, Jargo. A sincere thank you video from George at the beginning of the DVD where he acknowledges all the fans who have turned Star Wars into a world wide multi generational extravaganza and if it weren't for us, he wouldn't be a multi billionaire. Then he gets all our names and sends us each $20 (or £8);)

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Completely off subject: How many pence in a pound? Whats a quid? A bob? Can anyone tell me?

Pendo
03-02-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Completely off subject: How many pence in a pound? Whats a quid? A bob? Can anyone tell me?

There are 100 pence in a pound, a quid is a slang word for a pound. A bob is also used instead of pound.
(2000p in £20, £20 = 20 quid, 20 quid = 20 bob)
Us Brits have many words for money :).
Hope this helps Rollo!

PENDO!

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 04:31 PM
So do us Yanks, (bucks, bills, bread, dough, clams, bones, etc
) but I know what THOSE mean.;) Thanks for clearing that up.

On with the DVD discussion.:)

Jargo
03-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Actually, a bob is an old ten pence piece. five bob makes a fifty pence piece and ten - a pound. It got confusing in 1971 when we went over to decimal currency and the values of coins changed but the name stuck and you can still find old men in pubs talking in bobs. Sadly, we no longer have the half penny piece so there will be no more chirpy cockerney's saying "That'll be tuppence ha'penny guv'nor" In favt if we ever go over to the euro we won't have anything of bobs and quids. it'll be cents and toy town money. I recently had a note and coin in my possesion and I'm not keen on the new currency. it looks fake to me.

But back to the thread after I digress as usual.....

"Dear fans, I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for contributing to my vast wealth all these years. You've bought no end of crappy goods that should never have got past quality control. And you've bought endless versions of the films on video and now on DVD. None of which have been anything like the quality you are about to witness in this final mega version of the entire saga. Which will be followed in four years time by the ultimate version of the saga with all digital actors.....

In the years that you have bolstered my company shares and paid for the extension to the ranch and the cars and the private suite at the Hilton, I've had time to reflect on what mugs you all are to buy into so much obvious crap. Anyone with any self respect would have got a proper hobby by now but you follow all my movements with the interest of an etymologist crutinising bugs under a microscope. you've criticised all my decisions mercillesly and ruined my entertainment on the net with nasty threads in message boards. I am not in love with Rick McCallum that is a nasty malicious rumour *Isn't that right ricky sweetheart?*
Yes, see? But my efforts have been ridiculed like my chin and beard and given me sleepless nights worrying if you will actually buy more crap that I grant licenses to.
But despite all that, I want to say a big heartfelt thank you for keeping my bank balance healthy and as a reward, I'm embarking on a new made for TV venture. Those of you old enough to remember the spin off ewok movies will be tickled pink to learn that we start production of winnebago of courage - a Gungan adventure this fall. Starring that rascally scamp JarJar Binks and all his madcap friends on naboo. This will bridge the gap between the two trilogies and complete the full set of star wars films on DVD. A deluxe set will be available to download exclusively on apple.com next spring. accessible only by using the special software on this disk. So thank you for bein' my friends. May the force be with you - always.

Lots of love
George Lucas :kiss: "

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 10:17 PM
If Georgie EVER finally releases the original trilogy on DVD I would like to see the covers with the original VHS box art from the first release of'em, especially ESB!

stillakid
03-02-2002, 11:50 PM
But he hasn't had time to reengineer the OT to include that nonsense about Midichlorians and Qui Gonn Jinn. There's no way they can be released until that stuff gets done. He wouldn't dare keep all those inconsistencies in there...would he? :sur:

Beast
03-03-2002, 12:02 AM
I doubt we will see the Original Trilogy on DVD this year. But over at "Home Theater Forum" the owner of the site says that Episode II will be out on DVD before the end of this year though. Cool beans. :cool: :D

Ronald Epstein, Central New Jersey, Owner
[7484 posts] Member Since: July 4th, 1997
You will have EP2 THIS YEAR- 'Nuff said
Actually, the disc is being worked on as we speak.
I would not lie to you about this!
You'll see it at year's end!
Honest!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rollo Tomassi
03-03-2002, 02:27 AM
"Winnebago of Courage"

That's Coyne-tastic!!!:D

jw_bryant
03-03-2002, 02:36 AM
upcoming third trilogy.

wrong.

El Chuxter
03-04-2002, 12:23 AM
Jargo, that is undoubtedly the funniest thing I've seen since. . . well, to be honest, since I watched Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back again last night. But if I'd not done so just a scant 24 hours ago, your post would've been the funniest thing I've seen in quite some time.*

*--A precise measurement equal to exactly the amount of time the Rebel base on Dantooine has been abandoned.

:D :D :D :crazed: :Pirate:

Rollo Tomassi
03-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by jw_bryant

wrong.

That's right. Laugh and mock me all you want. It's a very simple equasion.

Third Trilogy = :greedy:$ :greedy: $:greedy:$ :greedy:

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 02:40 PM
mockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmo ckmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmock mockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmo ck rollo mockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmo ckmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmockmock

Have you been mocked enough?

You're right though... a third trilogy WOULD put more cash into... well- SOMEone's pockets! I just don't think it would be necessary or a reality at this point. I'm happy that the AOTC DVD may be coming out THIS year, though.

mark2d2
03-06-2002, 03:36 PM
I've always said that about five years after Episode three comes out Lucas will get bored and start writing . . . And there will be one final film. A few years later.

Episode VII.

All the original characters from the OT will be back. And --- yes --- the Actors.

Think about it --- for a moment. It's really not that out there. Mark Hamill would definitely do it. Carrie Fisher could be persuaded I'm sure. And frankly, Harrison Ford is getting more and more desperate for a hit. If the script was there --- a really good script --- uh, okay, maybe Georgie could bring in someone to help here --- I can't see why Harrison wouldn't agree to it as well. (Heck, his relationship with Lucas is so solid he's once again heavily rumoured to be gearing up for INDY IV...)

I, for one, would love to see what happens to the OT three, And think a film as them in their twilight years could be quite interesting . . . Also, how jarring it would be that Threepio, Artoo, and heck Chewie as well would probably would all look the exact same --- whereas the Human were rapidly nearing the age of Old Ben...

It's also something in cinema that has NEVER been done...actors reprising roles that they originated well over 30 years ago... the possiblities are very interesting. And if you think Episode I had alot of hype and build up, this would blow all that out of the water . . . Talk about Historic. Talk about Epic. If done well this could really be amazing.

Pendo
03-06-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
I've always said that about five years after Episode three comes out Lucas will get bored and start writing . . . And there will be one final film. A few years later.

Episode VII.

All the original characters from the OT will be back. And --- yes --- the Actors.

Think about it --- for a moment. It's really not that out there. Mark Hamill would definitely do it. Carrie Fisher could be persuaded I'm sure. And frankly, Harrison Ford is getting more and more desperate for a hit. If the script was there --- a really good script --- uh, okay, maybe Georgie could bring in someone to help here --- I can't see why Harrison wouldn't agree to it as well. (Heck, his relationship with Lucas is so solid he's once again heavily rumoured to be gearing up for INDY IV...)

I, for one, would love to see what happens to the OT three, And think a film as them in their twilight years could be quite interesting . . . Also, how jarring it would be that Threepio, Artoo, and heck Chewie as well would probably would all look the exact same --- whereas the Human were rapidly nearing the age of Old Ben...

It's also something in cinema that has NEVER been done...actors reprising roles that they originated well over 30 years ago... the possiblities are very interesting. And if you think Episode I had alot of hype and build up, this would blow all that out of the water . . . Talk about Historic. Talk about Epic. If done well this could really be amazing.

That's something that all Star Wars fans dream of, but unfortunatley I don't think it's going to happen, but who knows. If Episode VII was to be made, I wish it would be the biggest and best kept secret after Area 51 so there would be no Spoilers, and waiting. Then one day your sitting at the cinema and you see that trailer. How cool would that be, it would be like 1976/77 again, not knowing what to expect! But that chances of that are about 0.01% so don't build your hopes up.

PENDO!

Rollo Tomassi
03-06-2002, 04:14 PM
I said laugh and mock. All you did was mock.:p

mark2d2...exactly. I've always thought the same way.

Plus, if they wanted to keep it super secret they could. If they can shoot actors in front of blue screens and digitally recreate EVERY BACKGROUND in the movie and digitally replace actors faces onto other peoples bodies and add two actors into the same scene, they could non-chalantly have the main stars come in at different times, shoot their scenes, and then just quietly edit it all together.

BAM! We see a trailer in March and it comes out in May. no warning! Hey, it could happen...:rolleyes: (snicker)

mark2d2
03-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Who cares if it's a big secret?

I'd rather they built sets and rehearsed. Then actually acted.

There is far too much bluescreen in TPM. People are not talking to one another and frankly, you can really tell. They're just standing around boredly reciting their lines to a camera. The is very little REACTING in the new film. People just talk. Nobody ever really seems to be listening.

Then again --- maybe this is because they all suck as Actors. I don't know. Notice how when Carrie Fisher's home planet Alderaan was blown to bits she was somehow quite convincing even though this is the one scene she always uses to argue how much more fun the films were to watch than make.

"I'm standing there looking at a stick and they're like --- this is it! You're entire planet was destroyed. Kaboom!"

Of course, I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the idea.

Other than Ewan, Ian, and Pernilla August (Shmi) the acting was pretty dang spotty at times. Liam was just so glum, he annoyed me. Even Samual L. Jackson -- who I love -- was quoted as saying he that there was so much secrecy, he didn't know what he was talking about at times. Frankly, it shows.

stillakid
03-06-2002, 08:49 PM
I'll agree totally with Mark2d2 on this. There was plenty of bad acting which most likely could be traced back to actors who have little experience working in a "virtual" environment.

As far as episodes 7 and up, they are a pipe dream. Never happen in a million years. GL is catching too much flak on the prequels to make it worth living all over again for another 10 years of production. Maybe Hamill and Billy Dee would reprise their roles, but they'd NEVER get Ford or Fisher. It would be like beating a dead horse. Leave the "further adventures" to the storybooks. He will have proved his point about digital technology by the time Episode III is finished so he'll be ready to sit back in the Chairman of the Board seat again.

mark2d2
03-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Will the DVD releases include the original cuts of the films?
Or will it just be the special editions?
I really hope we can also watch the films as they used to be.
I understand that George thinks the Special Editions are THE way
the films SHOULD be --- but won't watching the original versions
make the special editions even more special?

(Or not -- depending on your point of view . . . Why oh why did
you make Greedo shoot first, Georgie? Why?)

What does everybody else think on this?
Has there ever been an "official" comment on the subject?

Beast
03-08-2002, 12:20 AM
It was done, to justify Han's shooting of Greedo. I guess Lucas wanted to hit you over the head with the fact that if Han hadn't have shot and killed Greedo, that Greedo would have shot him. The dialogue points to this, but Lucas probably wanted it less vague. So they put in Greedo's blast, a moment before Han's.

Lucas apperantly wanted to make Han look like less of a "bad guy" by having his shot be a reaction to Greedo's shot. Not that he wasn't justified in the threat against his life, and against his ship. The official statement says that it was always intended that Greedo was to fire first, but it was cost prohibitive or some crap like that.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
03-08-2002, 01:16 AM
Will the DVD releases include the original cuts of the films?
Or will it just be the special editions?
I really hope we can also watch the films as they used to be.
I understand that George thinks the Special Editions are THE way
the films SHOULD be --- but won't watching the original versions
make the special editions even more special?

I personally believe that the future DVD releases of the OT will be heavily modified to integrate the facets of the prequels which conflict with the original story, such as adding references to Midichlorians and Qui Gonn Jinn.

The Greedo scene was altered to show that Solo wasn't a cold-blooded killer. Obviously, it wasn't necessary and ruins an otherwise well constructed character arc. I haven't heard Harrison Ford's opinion on this, although I suspect if he ever did answer it would be a very politically correct response in order to support George.

mark2d2
03-08-2002, 03:02 AM
I don't know why everybody is so convinced Fisher wouldn't do it. She's still pretty tight with 'ol Georgie. He was on her new TV show. Then she gave him an award just the other day. If she liked the script --- heck, maybe she should help write the script --- another reason for her to say YES.

As far as Midichlorian and QuiGon references . . . I really don't see the need. It's not that big of a deal IMOP. And both would be lame.

PS --- I still have HORRIBLE nightmares about JARJAR being inserted into the cantina in ANH. ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

PS --- To Jargo. If Rick and George were Lovers it'd actually explain a heck of a lot, wouldn't it. Rick's rise is --- without question --- truly the biggest mystery in the Star Wars universe.

stillakid
03-08-2002, 11:46 AM
Carrie isn't looking very princess-like anymore. She's older, as one would expect, but let's just say that she wouldn't look too spiffy in that bikini anymore. A princess should be regal and a role model that every girl aspires to be and every boy wants to nail. No, she doesn't have to look exactly the same, but some continuity in look is necessary and nobody wants to see Princess Leia looking like she needs time on the treadmill.:)

Rollo Tomassi
03-08-2002, 01:05 PM
Heh. Stillakid used "looks good in a bikini" as a qualifer for "regal". Stillakid, hasn't seen the Queen or the Queen Mother recently. A bit frumpy, no?

I think the aged characters would work really well. I keep thinking of the STar Trek movies. Everybody was getting long in the tooth and "frumpy" by the time the sixth movie came out, but I thought that was one of the best of the series. Old actors and especially old characters would be fun to revisit.

mark2d2
03-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Hmmmm, being Gay, I don't think I ever wanted to "Nail" Carrie Fisher. I always liked her because she was funny "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" "This is some rescue!" "You have you moments. Not many of them, but you do have them..."

Something Natalie has been unable to do thus far. (It's not her fault though, it all gets back to the writing . . . )

Anyways, my point is ---- when Carrie's age is frequently cited as the MAIN reason we shouldn't see another OT film --- I can suddenly see why George has started to dumb down his movies ala the Special Editions and The Phantom Menace. Egads! In fact, I hope that when he "Specializes" the OT again, he takes out Alec Guiness whenever he's the spirit and digitally replace him with Ewan. I think that the "true spirit" of the core characters should remain as "Bangable" as possible. Good ole Alec is a great Actor and whatever, but I just don't want to "Nail" him, so out he goes. YUCK!!! Old People! Who needs 'em.

stillakid
03-08-2002, 02:51 PM
I don't anyone ever cited Carrie's age as being the main reason to do or not do anything. In terms of storybook fairy tales, the princess or female interest is most often portrayed as beautiful, chaste, and desirable. In real life, Princess Diana had most of those qualities applied to her which accounts for her popularity. The Queen Mum, well, maybe she was a looker in her day, but she doesn't fetch too many covers of People magazine the way Di did.

JetsAndHeels
03-08-2002, 03:25 PM
I wouldnt mind nailing Natalie.
Shes been one of my favorites for a while.
OOps, did I say that out loud?

El Chuxter
03-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Okay, about those DVD's. . . . :)

I suspect we'll get the Special Editions, possibly with a few changes. Everyone will snatch them up, since Lucas will swear they're the only ones coming out. Then we'll get a big ol' Archival Set, with further changes to all six movies. After that's had a chance to sell for a while, then we'll get the original versions of the Classic Trilogy.

"Moichandising: where the real money is made."
--Yogurt

stillakid
03-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Of course NOBODY knows right now, but what do you think the odds are that a few theaters would host a 6 film marathon before the DVD's are released? It's almost a poll question. How far would you travel to attend such a screening? How much would you pay (tickets) to get a seat?

Pendo
03-21-2002, 01:42 PM
PRick McCallum has confirmed that there will be NO Classic trillogy DVDs this year, reports Coming Soon (http://www.comingsoon.net).

"I don't think anything is going to happen for the DVD's of the classic movies until we finish these films."

For more click here (http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1016721242,24370,).

PENDO!

P.S. Didn't they deny that Episode I was coming out about a month before they revealed it?

master jedi
03-21-2002, 08:42 PM
2007 -- Ultra Super Duper Deluxe 15 disc collectors set with Multiple versions of the films, Holiday Special, and a look at the upcoming third trilogy.

Lucas said he wasn't going to make a 3rd trilogy because he was able to tell his story in 6 2-hour movies.

I wish there were going to be a third trilogy.

Rollo Tomassi
03-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by master jedi

Lucas said he wasn't going to make a 3rd trilogy because he was able to tell his story in 6 2-hour movies.

I wish there were going to be a third trilogy. Wait 10-15 years. george will make a couple of smaller arty films about stuff that interests him, like single fathers and stuff. Then he will get the bug to make more Star Wars films before he dies and start on the third trilogy...

Jargo
03-23-2002, 08:51 PM
yeah and then he'll die halfway through and Rick McCallum will get a fool like james Cameron to take the helm. Then We'll get schmaltzed to death with sickly sentimental crud and Sealion Dion singing some awful track as the ship goes down with all hands on deck........

I'd prefer there to be just the six movies finished and sorted out to remove plot holes and crap effects like the ESB emperor and the black lines round the Rancor.

let Lucas spend the time getting the movies spiffed up so they all match in terms of quality. The prequels seem to be over produced to me. The OT seems under produced in comparison. I guess to match the two trilogies episode three will have degraded quality of image so that the series slides into the OT. Grainy images and less colour. Less digital effects and more models. Clunkier designs.

Rollo Tomassi
03-24-2002, 03:18 AM
And puppets. Loads of puppets.:)

Jargo
03-24-2002, 08:26 AM
yes, puppets. A lorra lorra puppets. ;)

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Hmmmm, being Gay, I don't think I ever wanted to "Nail" Carrie Fisher.

Harrison Ford? He's still kinda got it... for a fogey. :D

Then again... that's just MY opinion.