PDA

View Full Version : John Madden to Retire

pbarnard
04-16-2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/16/john.madden.retirement/index.html

Doesn't say if immediate or after the end of the season.

On the Edit:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hLQ-t4DxRR11Vt48ZO8uZdg3ZgvAD97JLP000
Is immediate.

Darth Metalmute
04-16-2009, 01:32 PM
This was due. It was time.

At least Chris Collinsworth is a great fill-in.

El Chuxter
04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I wonder if he'll spend more time playing around on message boards.

mabudonicus
04-16-2009, 03:27 PM
See what he did there?? He got the job and ran it to the endzone- when he crossed that line, that equalled points, and that's how you win a game, getting more points than the other team by running the distance and crossing that line with the ball. If he didn't have the ball, he might not have scored
:beard: Iso&Baws

Oyes

mtriv73
04-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I wonder if he'll still lend (read as: sell) his name to the video games.

pbarnard
04-16-2009, 03:31 PM
I wonder if he'll still lend (read as: sell) his name to the video games.

He was pretty involved in the development of the video game, especially from the play calling and play design aspects. But yes, that question has passed my mind too.

Darth Jax
04-16-2009, 08:07 PM
See what he did there?? He got the job and ran it to the endzone- when he crossed that line, that equalled points, and that's how you win a game, getting more points than the other team by running the distance and crossing that line with the ball. If he didn't have the ball, he might not have scored
:beard: Iso&Baws

Oyes

only thing that would make that a more authentic statement would be to draw all over it with a tele-strater.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Don't be dissin' on Madden. How many Super Bowl rings you got? Watch out or he'll run you over with his bus.

Darth Jax
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
i'd rather listen to madden mumble and stumble his way through the game than collinsworth.

DarthQuack
04-17-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't mind him stepping down....I miss Pat Summerall than having him around or leave.

JetsAndHeels
04-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't mind him stepping down....I miss Pat Summerall than having him around or leave.

Madden and Summerall were a great combo....Summerall's simple style paired with Madden's unique personality made for a good broadcast team on FOX.

Collinsworth is annoying.

UKWildcat
04-17-2009, 10:03 AM
I like Collinsworth... a helluva lot more than Bryant Gumbel. Now he was terrible.

figrin bran
04-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Maybe he'll pull a Brett Favre and come back in a few weeks?

I'm going to have to turn down the audio with Collinsworth.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-17-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't mind Collinsworth.

Darth Jax
04-17-2009, 08:31 PM
least they didn't try to get siragusa into the booth. that would be enough to get me to stop watching football entirely.

JimJamBonds
04-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Meh! I can circle players, mention dirty uniforms and say things like "great football is football that's played great" for far less then him.

Kidhuman
04-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I wonder if he'll spend more time playing around on message boards.

Quite possible. HE will have more time on his hands

Maybe he'll pull a Brett Favre and come back in a few weeks?

HAHA, why not do the same thing his idol did. Then he wil get traded to ESPn and fall short down the end of the season

Darth Metalmute
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
From what I've heard, he plans on ruining his career by working for the Raiders.

Darth Jax
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
From what I've heard, he plans on ruining his career by working for the Raiders.

His career got a start with the Raiders, so why not return. Maybe they'll let him coach again - he has the highest win percentage in their history.

Darth Metalmute
04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
His career got a start with the Raiders, so why not return. Maybe they'll let him coach again - he has the highest win percentage in their history.

But that was back when Al Davis was smart, and not senile as he is now. :crazed:

Unfortunately for Raider fans, those days are long gone.

pbarnard
04-20-2009, 03:19 PM
John Madden will be hired as a consultant, and he'll say get football players, not other guys rejects.

figrin bran
05-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Brett Favre is in talks with the Vikings

Madden to announce his un retirement shortly.

pbarnard
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Brett Favre is in talks with the Vikings

Madden to announce his un retirement shortly.

Sorry, lost its punch considering every other comment at sports illustrated or espn are the same thing. The remaining quarter are cheese heads and other fans threatening to off Farve or themselves. The rest, Viking fans who aren't calling the doctor after four hours after taking the little blue pill. :thumbsup:

pbarnard
05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Related News...

Tony Kornheiser is stepping down from MNF to be replaced by Jon Gruden. Mr. Tony, as the littles call him, has a documented fear of flying aproaching John Madden's.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Related News...

Tony Kornheiser is stepping down from MNF to be replaced by Jon Gruden. Mr. Tony, as the littles call him, has a documented fear of flying aproaching John Madden's.
Why doesn't he just buy Madden's bus then?

pbarnard
05-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Why doesn't he just buy Madden's bus then?

He has his own (or at least chartered one) the past few seasons. It's got more to do with the schedule and what ESPN will pay for him to take since the majority of games for MNF are west coast while he's a DC dweller.

It's all about flying. I should try and find the clip where he and John Feinstein talk about just how much Xanax and alcohol one can mix and not OD/slip into a coma in order to board a plane. That is classic radio. :thumbsup: