PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ashoka so hard to find?

DarkJedi5
04-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I love the Clone Wars show and watched every episode. I do not like the figure line (just don't like how cartoony it is, didn't like the other cartoon line either) but since Hasbro as confirmed for the one millionth time (I don't know why people keep asking) that they will never cross over figures I have decided to just suck it up and buy an Ashoka cause from what I can tell, she's close enough as as good as it will get. However this figure is impossible to find! I remember everyone was having a hard time when she was new but it seems Hasbro isn't carrying her over in new waves. This is ridiculous! She's the first new Star Wars character introduced in major media in years and they aren't producing her like mad as every little kid and collector is going to want at least one? Any word of Hasbro planning to correct this issue?

Darth Metalmute
04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
She's a good figure, minus the bright blue/purple, you really can't tell the difference between animated and realistic.

I have seen exactly 2 of her. The first one I saw was when she was originally released. I didn't buy her because I had not made my mind up on her yet. I went back a couple of days later to pick her up and she was gone. I didn't find her again until Feburary of this year.

I'll keep my eye out for you, but the only figure currently on the 18 pegs at my Toy R Us is Yarma. They finally sent back all the Juno's.

sith_killer_99
04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm sure they will....eventually. Can you say repack.

She is a VERY popular figure, I don't even collect the 3.75 inch figures anymore, and I ended up buying her for my daughter. Her SW collection is small, but this was a must have figure for her.

BTW, if you are really desperate for the figure I suggest you avoid hitting ebay. EE has Wave 2 Revision 1 cases, which come with 2 Ashoka figures and 10 others, mostly Clones/Droids (army builders) for $80.30 (that's $6.69 per figure) here:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS87638B1

Not bad considering ebay prices are around $25-$35 for 1 Ashoka figure.:rolleyes:

Kidhuman
04-17-2009, 03:54 PM
She will also be in a BP later this year with soft goods.

bigbarada
04-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, the Clone Wars line is more of a true boy's toy line when compared to the more collector focused TLC line. And girl action figures traditionally sell very poorly among young boys. So Hasbro doesn't want to load the pegs down with Ahsokas, when kids are going to be much more interested in Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Clonetroopers, and Battle Droids.

That's my theory, anyway.

El Chuxter
04-17-2009, 07:25 PM
I've never fully bought the "boys don't want female toys." Or maybe it depends on how cool the character was. I know everyone wanted Lady Jaye, Scarlett, and the Baroness. But everyone was lukewarm to Cover Girl, preferring her for the Wolverine tank if they wanted the set at all. I always saw it as "these three are cool, regardless of gender, and this other woman isn't because no one ever did much with her in the 'toon or comic."

Then again, Ashoka is sort of a Britney Spears type, so maybe that sort of female doesn't appeal to little boys the same way a ninja babe with a crossbow does.

sith_killer_99
04-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Ashoka is sort of a Britney Spears type, so maybe that sort of female doesn't appeal to little boys the same way a ninja babe with a crossbow does.

Ummm....duh, and what do you mean....little boys? If I had found a ninja babe with a crossbow, I would have married her.

BTW, my wife used to wear combat boots!:thumbsup:

Darth Jax
04-17-2009, 08:08 PM
i've seen the clone wars ahsoka plenty. it was the GH version that was difficult for me to find.

should i make a toy run anytime soon, i'll see if she's still on the shelves.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I've never fully bought the "boys don't want female toys." Or maybe it depends on how cool the character was. I know everyone wanted Lady Jaye, Scarlett, and the Baroness. But everyone was lukewarm to Cover Girl, preferring her for the Wolverine tank if they wanted the set at all. I always saw it as "these three are cool, regardless of gender, and this other woman isn't because no one ever did much with her in the 'toon or comic."

Then again, Ashoka is sort of a Britney Spears type, so maybe that sort of female doesn't appeal to little boys the same way a ninja babe with a crossbow does.
I know you've hated Ahsoka since well before the show premiered, but she doesn't really have a Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus vibe if you actually watch the show without going into it wanting to hate her. She's kicked plenty of *** in several episodes, going up against Grievous, Ventress, and lots of droids while holding her own; she once even saved Anakin and Obi-Wan from a gundark, among lots of other things.

Anyway, I remember being reluctant to get the slave Leia figure when I was younger, and didn't get it for a few years. But I got all the other ones when they came out. As for Ahsoka, I haven't seen the figure for a while, either.

TheDarthVader
04-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I saw her once and bought her. I liked the huttlet accessory. I had seen her once since my purchase...and not again. Good luck!

JEDIpartner
04-22-2009, 12:26 PM
So I snagged one on eBay for $6.99 and $3 shipping. I thought it was fair enough.

Yumbi_Vader
04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
^^ Nice Buy... considering that many Ahsokas carded on Ebay sells or goes for about $20... I have seen even $30...

I have never seen her since I bought mine on TRU in the 2 for 13.99 sale (1st time I saw her on the pegs)...

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
I've seen her thrice, and if I knew people actually wanted her, I would've picked her up and sold her at cost.

Mvader91
04-22-2009, 04:20 PM
:thumbsup:
^^ Nice Buy... considering that many Ahsokas carded on Ebay sells or goes for about $20... I have seen even $30...

I have never seen her since I bought mine on TRU in the 2 for 13.99 sale (1st time I saw her on the pegs)...
:bandit:Luckily in INDY they were 2 for 10.99

Yumbi_Vader
04-24-2009, 01:27 AM
:thumbsup:
:bandit:Luckily in INDY they were 2 for 10.99

I know!... but sadly here in Puerto Rico things tend to cost a little bit more!:upset::mad:

figrin bran
04-30-2009, 12:49 AM
I've seen perhaps 5 Ahsoka figures out in retail.

I've seen the same amount for her Galactic Heroes set with Capt. Rex.

Scackmgack
07-25-2009, 10:01 PM
My Star Wars collecting has gotten dialed WAY down lately, so I'm out of the loop.

I saw an Ahsoka once in a Target, wasn't sure, passed on it...and have not seen one since.

I can't honestly believe that it's that rare a fig. She's one of the stars of The Clone Wars. Gotta be a huge character...how could Hasbro have produced so few of her that she's actually going for $20 on Target?

Is there another production run on the way or something?

plasticfetish
07-25-2009, 10:46 PM
This subject has come up before...

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=40308

And if you go through the photos from Comic-Con, you'll see that there are a few new figures coming.

Scackmgack
07-26-2009, 05:08 PM
So what's the current state of things? No one finding Ahsoka still?

Scackmgack
07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah, but none of the "original" Ahsoka figures, which is what I want. I'm not really interested in the Battle Pack version because I truly dislike the Clone Wars Cartoony figure line...it's such a shame that they had to copy the aesthetic of the cartoon. Or perhaps its' better to say that it's such a shame they couldn't have just produced the cartoon with realistic-looking characters such that nothing had to change toy-wise...with the technology at their disposal they could have made an animated series which blended right into the movies...

Maerj2000
07-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Its not only difficult to find Ahsoka but most Clone Wars figures in my area, South Central PA. The CW stuff seems to sell out quick, the regular SW is a lot easier to get here.

DarkJedi5
07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
After starting this thread I eventually caved and bought one on eBay. It cost me around $12 which isn't terrible but still a rip off. Here's what I don't understand, Ahsoka was hard to find from the beginning so why didn't Hasbro release her in subsequent waves? Lord knows they did it with clonetroopers over and over again and even Anakin and Obi-Wan. Why was the new main character a different story? And now they have another Ahsoka in space suit but still no rerelease of the original.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2009, 12:19 AM
I think they must have underestimated her popularity, since normally girl characters don't do as well in boys' lines, and they started out aiming this line mostly at kids. The first Anakin and Obi-Wan figures are currently shipping on the new card, so a reissue isn't out of the question.

plasticfetish
07-27-2009, 12:38 AM
The first figure came and went just like the "film" itself. I saw a few of them for a week or so, and then they all vanished... which isn't all that different than a few others from the first bunch. There's not exactly a lot of C-3PO figures out there right now either.

I'd have to agree that they'll probably re-release it, or do a similar basic version at some point. I'm surprised that there was only one basic Ashoka figure shown, but I do think the space suit thing is kind of cool.

DarkJedi5
07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
See I saw the 3PO on shelves in my area for ever. I think I saw just about every other CW figure a few times, Ahsoka was the only one that was hard to find. At least for me.

El Chuxter
07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
They said that, with both Asajj and Ashoka, they severely underestimated the appeal of the female figures in Clone Wars. It seems the subliminal message to make kids ignore the sucktitude of the show works on girls, too, and they're working to get both of them back on shelves to meet demad.

Ji'dai
07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I bought four Ahsokas and saw enough of them to buy better paint jobs and return the bad ones so I don't consider her rare. I don't see her too much lately though. I've got two Ahsokas on display, one holding the Huttlet in her arms and the other ready for action wearing the backpack with the baby. Great figure - one of my favorites in that line. I wish Padme had Ahsoka's knee articulation.

Darth Metalmute
08-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I wish Padme had Ahsoka's knee articulation.

Theres a joke in there somewhere.;)

I just saw the space Ahsoka today. Only one on the shelves.

Blue2th
08-15-2009, 08:53 PM
According to the SDCC Clone Wars poster, the original Ashoka with Huttlet will be released again unless I'm reading it wrong?
Found this over at GH:
http://www.galactichunter.com/photo.asp?image=absolutenm/articlefiles/8199-StarWarsComicCon20092.jpg

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Nope, they're re-releasing her and some others (as seen there on the poster). Carded pics have been showing up the past few days/weeks.

djsosharp
08-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Will they package it differently so there's at least some value to having the old one? I paid slightly above MSRP for mine and now I guess that was pointless heheh

DarkJedi5
08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Will they package it differently so there's at least some value to having the old one? I paid slightly above MSRP for mine and now I guess that was pointless heheh

Modern mint Star Wars figures will never appreciate in value the way the vintage ones did. It's like baseball cards. Because now people know to keep them the scarcity never increases. I paid more on eBay for Ahsoka so I feel your pain, but mine was loose so it wasn't that bad and I had no plans to resell anyway.

djsosharp
08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Modern mint Star Wars figures will never appreciate in value the way the vintage ones did. It's like baseball cards. Because now people know to keep them the scarcity never increases. I paid more on eBay for Ahsoka so I feel your pain, but mine was loose so it wasn't that bad and I had no plans to resell anyway.

In general that's very true. Something won't go from being a "common" (where everyone who wants to can get it at face value) to a "rare" with any sort of regularity. But cases like this, where it's already a bit scarce, do see an increase in value (as we've already seen..on eBay at least), which is why I was wondering about the packaging.

Also: I'm not necessarily looking to resell anyway either. But I did get one loose and one in package as I typically do, just in case (in case of what, I have no idea).

DarkJedi5
08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
In general that's very true. Something won't go from being a "common" (where everyone who wants to can get it at face value) to a "rare" with any sort of regularity. But cases like this, where it's already a bit scarce, do see an increase in value (as we've already seen..on eBay at least), which is why I was wondering about the packaging.

Also: I'm not necessarily looking to resell anyway either. But I did get one loose and one in package as I typically do, just in case (in case of what, I have no idea).

Well the it is possible. The new Ahsoka would come in the new red TLC packaging so there will be an obvious difference between the two. However, MOMC completists are very rare these days and so a general rerelease is really going to hurt any perceived scarcity, especially if Hasbro learns and packs her more than one per case.

djsosharp
08-20-2009, 10:28 AM
All good points, especially the one about Hasbro being a learning computer (read in Arnold's accent)

Bar
11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
There are two of the Ahsoka with helmet at a local store, but they are just under 8 each.
I have no interest in them, but i'd happily pick them up if anyone here wants them.

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Ahsoka v1 are shipping again on red card, I had one in my hand at Target but passed since I like the headsculpt and paint on the Space Suit version better, and that figure is easy to find right now.

figrin bran
11-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Ahsoka v1 are shipping again on red card, I had one in my hand at Target but passed since I like the headsculpt and paint on the Space Suit version better, and that figure is easy to find right now.

I liked the headsculpt on Space Suit Ahsoka as well. So much so that I bought an extra one to swap heads with Ahsoka v1.

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Did that swap work? I was guessing it wouldn't, that Hasbro would pull another doy moment and have them incompatible, it's part of what made me pass up the v1 figure.

figrin bran
11-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Did that swap work? I was guessing it wouldn't, that Hasbro would pull another doy moment and have them incompatible, it's part of what made me pass up the v1 figure.

They're very much compatible, actually.

JediTricks
11-25-2009, 03:28 AM
Amazing, the far east factory got something right for once!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Not that I was looking, but I found A.T. at K-Mart of all places, and at a decent price of $5.99 (it was on sale from its ridiculous $8.49 shelf amount :upset: ).