PDA

View Full Version : GIJoe Resolute: Spoiler thread

El Chuxter
04-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I know there's a thread about this in another forum, but (for now) I'm starting this one to deal with the spoilers. I just watched episodes 1-2 right now, and I'm torn over whether to wait for next weekend for the whole thing or keep watching the installments online.

Here's the first two eps. (http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25059520b3d89e0120b49221340025)

Ho. Lee. Crap.

This is a thing of pure beauty.

If the movie is even 1/1,000,000,000,000th as cool as this, it will be all we could have ever hoped for. (Of course, I doubt it will be, but this show is definitely the shiznit and, if the intro is any indication, I hope this isn't the last we see of the Resolute world.)

It seems like it's kinda a "Superman Returns" sort of loose sequel to the Sunbow cartoon, not including the movie, with a few elements of the comic mixed in. (Did Cobra Island ever appear in the show? I don't remember. And the show never actually said Snake Eyes was a ninja or named Storm Shadow's clan.) It's definitely not a continuation of the comic itself, since we've already seen Doc, and he's not a zombie missing half his head. There's also some indication of a love triangle between Scarlett, Snake Eyes, and Duke, which seems a combo of the two.

Cobra appears to have been laying low for some time, but are back with, well, to say with a vengeance seems an understatement. Bazooka already iced? Didn't see that one coming. Were those two guys on the flight deck Slipstream and Airborne? And, more importantly, did they survive that gigantormous explosion? I don't see how they could've.

Moscow completely obliterated to show the UN that Cobra Commander isn't screwing around this time? Crapburgers with extra guacamole, this dude is not screwing around at all. Digging Firefly's new look without the "urban camo," and this incarnation seems even more a "no BS, just blowing stuff up and killing people" SOB than even the Marvel version... and that's just from about three seconds of screen time.

Storm Shadow, I imagine, is a distraction to get the Joe's single deadliest member away from the main fight. And Snake Eyes is definitely the uber-badarse that we all knew he was meant to be.

The big question so far: who killed Bludd, and why? Definitely someone with a Cobra dagger, but that's not much to go on. Judging from the updates to the rest of the characters, this Bludd would be so incredibly wicked that no one could possibly get that close to him unless it was a Cobra he really trusted. Not Cobra Commander, he wouldn't be in the open like that. Too messy a hit for Storm Shadow, too clean for Firefly. Zartan? Baroness? Destro?

And the big doozy: the Hasbro page hints that this showdown between Snakes and Stormy will end in the death of one of them. Hype, or not?

I was going to wait to watch this all at once on TV, but I honestly don't know if I can resist the temptation!!

DarkArtist
04-17-2009, 05:33 PM
OMG... this show is amazing. I can't wait for the continuing episodes. this is definately the G.I. Joe we have been waiting for. I really hope they continue with this series and give us a chance to either download the series to an i-pod or something or release the series on a DVD.

I was blown away from start to finish....highly recommend this to every G.I. Joe fan on this board. Sit back, relax and be prepared to get blown away with Resolute.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:: thumbsup:

I can't wait to see what Hasbro is cooking up as far as further Resolute toy releases.

El Chuxter
04-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Add Flint. Not sure how I missed listing him, as he's pretty prominent. It could've been Falcon, but I rather doubt it.

Also, it definitely wasn't Slipstream and Airborne, but just ground crew. However, someone was piloting a Skystriker that I doubt survived the blast. Would a "nobody" be flying (or even moving) a plane on an aircraft carrier.

Droid
04-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Fantastic! If the whole thing is as good it will be the best G.I. Joe animation story ever!

I'm glad they killed Bazooka. He's an idiot!

Sorry to see Bludd go.

Stalker didn't look very African-American to me.

I was glad to see Stalker and Doc. Always loved them.

Great to see Snake-Eyes done properly in animation.

It is so fast paced.

This should be a pilot for a scripted series that tells stories over time.

I miss the old Cobra Commander voice!

I like that there is no origin or set up. It isn't really a continuation of any Joe story we've seen so far. It just dives in and tells Joe stories. Great!

bigbarada
04-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, first off.....

RIP Bazooka :cry:

Moment of silence..... :sleeping:

Okay, I'm back, now how freaking awesome was that? :thumbsup: This IS the GI Joe cartoon I always wanted to see. Definitely worth the wait!

Anyways, I am glad it's a "loose sequel" to the cartoon and/or comic. This way there is no screentime wasted reintroducing characters and scenarios we are already familiar with. Also, I think turning the Duke/Scarlett/Snake-Eyes thing into a love triangle is probably the best way to reconcile the comic book and cartoon storylines concerning those characters.

I can't wait for the new episodes. :yes:

figrin bran
04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I just watched episode 1 - frakkin' awesome!!!

I wonder if Corey Burton is the voice for CC?

El Chuxter
04-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Bazooka was only an idiot in the cartoon. In the comic, he was a normal guy, and his toy filecard says, "Subject is a decisive fast-thinker with all the instincts of a natural survivor." Him being such a moron in the old show was some serious overboard comic relief. (Kinda like Grimlock, who had a tech-spec intelligence score of 7, same as Wheeljack, IIRC.) I did appreciate the sort of nod to his buffoonery in the old 'toon here, though, in the way Duke immediately jumps to the conclusion that he simply let someone sneak past him rather than assume the worst.

El Chuxter
04-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Double post. :p

Not sure how it got there, or how long it'll be there, but, if you can't wait for Monday, Episode 3 is on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16neqpiuxSo.

Help me out with the many, many Joes we see here:
Duke
Scarlett
Lady Jaye
Stalker
Spirit
Airborne
Rock 'n' Roll
Wild Bill
Gung Ho
Roadblock
Beach Head
Doc
Flint
Shipwreck (sportin' the Devil's Due look)
Polly :)
???
Sneak Peek or Quick Kick???
Cover Girl
(The one I can't place at all is the African-American up front. The guy behind him is a much lighter build, and Asian with some weird armor on his arms.)

It's possible one of the support team members could be Sparks.

I really like that Gung Ho seems to not be an idiot, and is pretty bloody smart. Not much of an accent; wonder if it'll stay that way, or if they'll do like his early comic appearances where he sort of turns the Cajun accent on and off (and everyone notices).

And one of those "Joe storage facilities" is the Pit II!!

figrin bran
04-18-2009, 02:01 AM
I didn't notice Lady Jaye unless she's the female with the hat (most likely, I suppose)

Duke's voice doesn't work for me at all and he sounds more like Batman from The Batman.

The AT-TE (aside from the movie) and Turbo Tank haven't appeared in Clone Wars all that much (certainly not every episode or even every other) so if their appearances justifies a toy according to Hasbro, I hope everything we see vehicle wise and figure wise as well from Resolute gets made. Come on Hasbro, halt production of the movie toys already!

El Chuxter
04-18-2009, 02:04 AM
I really don't mean to hog the thread, but I just watched #3 again, and I really appreciate the way the team doesn't entirely gloss over Bazooka's death. Cover Girl seems to be taking it the hardest (or at least vocalizing it most) and, though it's subtle, there's definitely a reaction from Duke. Sort of, "I've been trying to stick to business, so we can save the world, but, since you reminded me...."

I really feel like death gets glossed over too often in current comics (and the few cartoons that deal with it). It's disrespectful to the dead (even if he wasn't a real person), and a totally unrealistic response from those around him. I definitely got the impression these guys know that they have to focus on Cobra before mourning their dead, but they're feeling it.

bigbarada
04-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Cool! :thumbsup: But that was only 4 minutes long, I thought these were all going to be 5 minute episodes.

The only thing I thought was strange was that it didn't look like anyone was even trying to put out all those fires on the deck of the USS Flagg.

I am glad that Gung Ho appears to be an intelligent leader and not just a belligerent muscle-head.

bigbarada
04-18-2009, 02:14 AM
I really don't mean to hog the thread, but I just watched #3 again, and I really appreciate the way the team doesn't entirely gloss over Bazooka's death. Cover Girl seems to be taking it the hardest (or at least vocalizing it most) and, though it's subtle, there's definitely a reaction from Duke. Sort of, "I've been trying to stick to business, so we can save the world, but, since you reminded me...."

I really feel like death gets glossed over too often in current comics (and the few cartoons that deal with it). It's disrespectful to the dead (even if he wasn't a real person), and a totally unrealistic response from those around him. I definitely got the impression these guys know that they have to focus on Cobra before mourning their dead, but they're feeling it.

I thought that was really well done, too. They've lost one of their own and they feel like they've been stabbed in the gut; but the situation is too dire for them to be allowed to mourn just yet.

bigbarada
04-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Duke's voice doesn't work for me at all and he sounds more like Batman from The Batman.

It's going to take me a while to get used to the new voices. I think Flint's voice sounds the strangest to me at this point. But I haven't noticed anything really "offensive" just yet.

figrin bran
04-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Flint's voice sounds strange to me as well but by no means are the voices a deal breaker for me. Not in the least!

For CC, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't go with Tom Kenny who does Starscream (not to mention Spongebob) on Transformers Animated and does a great Chris Latta impression.

I have a feeling #4 might get leaked tomorrow!

RooJay
04-18-2009, 03:03 AM
Aww man! Awesome!!! Best GI Joe cartoon ever! This is the GI Joe I always imagined ever since I was a kid (well...except for Flint's voice. He always sounded manlier like in the original cartoon.) It's really a shame that they didn't deem to just go ahead and do a full season of half hour episodes!
Shame about Bazooka and Major Bludd, though. Just imagine how cool Bludd could have been in this show without the restraint they had to use in the original children's show!
I can't wait to get figures of all these guys, and would not be disappointed at all if, after the movie toys have run their course, the modern line becomes dedicated to Resolute. Here's hoping for a second season, too. With longer episodes this time!

Blue2th
04-18-2009, 01:20 PM
I just watched the first two episodes on Adult Swim.
I must say I'm impressed. Snake Eyes is a bad as*!
The animation is reminiscent of the 80's cartoon, but there's a body count going on here.
This cartoon can continue on forever as far as I'm concerned.

Yo Joe Resolute!!!

El Chuxter
04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Under the toy thread, I posted some screen caps of Part 3. My earlier post listed the Asian fellow as possibly Sneak Peek, but I was thinking Tunnel Rat when I typed it, and that seems to be the general consensus among the YouTube commenters. Still no clue who the fourth African-American guy is. Some have speculated Alpine or Heavy Duty, but he doesn't look like Alpine, and having Roadblock and Heavy Duty together in a series given the weirdness concerning those names seems unlikely.

DarthQuack
04-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Really enjoyed what I've seen so far....yes I too watched Episode 3 before I should have....but it's awesome, really enjoyed Epiosde 2 with Snake Eyes and the last shot of Storm Shadow.

Was it Firefly who launched the missle into the UN or just a Cobra flunky?

El Chuxter
04-19-2009, 01:33 PM
It was Firefly. They showed his character design at Comic-Con.

bigbarada
04-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I watched all three episodes again last night and I really love this series so far. I know I said that already, but I just thought it bears repeating. :)

Hopefully, after the movie flops and disappears into the obscurity it deserves, Hasbro will focus solely on more Resolute cartoons.

I can't think of any worse scenario right now than if the live-action movie is a blockbuster success and takes up all of Hasbro's focus for the next 2 or 3 years and reshapes the face of GI Joe for decades to come. That would be unbelievably tragic considering that we've finally seen what the perfect GI Joe cartoon looks like.

figrin bran
04-20-2009, 12:08 AM
BigB, I wouldn't worry about that. Transformers was a blockbuster success and yet Hasbro still went through with Transformers Animated, both the tv series and toys as well as Transformers Universe toys.

El Chuxter
04-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I just noticed that, on my Joe shelves, Bazooka had fallen over. I've not looked at the figures since before Friday, so that's a bit weird. It's clear that Bazooka was a sign from on high as to who would die.

Based on this irrefutable evidence, the following other characters will die:
Mutt (but not Junkyard, who's almost impossible to topple)
Ninja-Ku (or, as I call my two, "generic Cobra ninjas"--I find the teal Ninja Viper a bit silly to be used as an army builder, and have him as an unnamed "general")
an Iron Grenadier
Nemesis Enforcer
Red Star
Firefly
Storm Shadow (but only if he ever puts on any red clothing)

Major Bludd is still carded at the moment, so I cannot make any predictions about the ones I've not opened, but everyone else who's open in my collection is safe.

:D

Blue2th
04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I've got Darth Tracta holding a gun to Torpedo's head, and Doc pointing a 50 caliber at Resolute Cobra, while standing in a Jeep with Duke looking over his shoulder sitting in it. It's a standoff.

Darth Tracta decided to throw his lot in with Cobra, and Cobra is saying " Not so fast GI Joes."

El Chuxter
04-20-2009, 10:11 AM
I think the ROC movie Cobra Commander is just Trachta with a Cobra sigil painted on his chest. :)

El Chuxter
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Wow.

We know who the girl is (Dial Tone). We know who killed Bludd, and it seems way too "hands-on" for him. He's a lot nastier than the earlier animated versions (though his comment about plans falling apart is another clue this definitely can't be a straight continuation of the comic).

"There will be none of your crap! None of it!" Best line ever spoken in a GIJoe cartoon. Ever.

El Chuxter
04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Meesa dominating this thread again, eh?

Part V (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUhsCgrGOsw) has leaked!

My oh my, this is a very different backstory for these two than we've seen before, though it seems to owe a bit to what little I know of Sigma Six.

Did you guys catch the identity of the assassin? That looks like one of the elements remaining from the original comic origin.

Very nice. I honestly get the idea that one of them could die. I doubt it--it'd be breaking character a bit too much for the hero to kill the villain, and he's just a deadlier customer than his old friend. That said, there are a lot of Cobra goons playing backup around the place.

figrin bran
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Chux, once I watch them, I'll comment so that it doesn't look like you're talking to yourself.

That youtuber always seems to upload Transformers Animated episodes before they air so kudos to him for being so quick to the draw on Resolute.

bigbarada
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow.

We know who the girl is (Dial Tone). We know who killed Bludd, and it seems way too "hands-on" for him. He's a lot nastier than the earlier animated versions (though his comment about plans falling apart is another clue this definitely can't be a straight continuation of the comic).

"There will be none of your crap! None of it!" Best line ever spoken in a GIJoe cartoon. Ever.

Okay, I just watched 3 and 4. Pretty interesting twist with Cobra Commander killing Major Bludd. It definitely felt like the cartoon CC was just tired of suffering through the failures and was taking a different approach. I also like the part about how he was not going to allow anyone to replace him, so I guess he won't be helping to revive Serpentor in this cartoon. :D

I actually have a theory that this is a loose continuation of season 1 of the cartoon and season 2 is essentially being knocked out of the continuity. Doesn't bother me at all, since I always felt that there was a definite drop in quality between the two seasons.

Also, I just realized that this is the third time Bazooka has been "killed" in the cartoon. He was listed as killed-in-action in the season 1 episode, Worlds Without End (along with Alpine and Barbecue). He was also supposed to die alongside Gung-Ho and Alpine in the 1986 movie (but the script was changed to say that they were just seriously injured probably around the same time that they decided not to kill off Duke). And he's dead again in this cartoon, but I guess this one's for real since we actually see a corpse this time.:)

bigbarada
04-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Meesa dominating this thread again, eh?

Part V (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUhsCgrGOsw) has leaked!

My oh my, this is a very different backstory for these two than we've seen before, though it seems to owe a bit to what little I know of Sigma Six.

Did you guys catch the identity of the assassin? That looks like one of the elements remaining from the original comic origin.

Very nice. I honestly get the idea that one of them could die. I doubt it--it'd be breaking character a bit too much for the hero to kill the villain, and he's just a deadlier customer than his old friend. That said, there are a lot of Cobra goons playing backup around the place.

Man, the whole storyline with Snake-Eyes and Stormshadow really needs more than 5 minutes! They could make a one hour cartoon on that alone.

I've been a fan of Snake-Eyes since I was a kid, but I never read his whole comic book origin until just last year. So, I'm not really attached to that story and this one is close enough to the same story as far as I'm concerned. The basic theme being that SE and SS were best friends in this ninja school and, while SS was ahead of SE in training and abilities, SS was more interested in power which would ultimately be his downfall and the catalyst towards him having their master assassinated and starting up the rivalry with Snake-Eyes.

I also kind of like the change of Snake-Eyes not being burned from head to toe.

Blue2th
04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Lots of Hummers on the Flagg, couldn't really tell what kind of tanks though, a glimse of a jet.
Can't wait to see what the hypersonic transport they were talking about looks like.
Wonder how the relationship with Destro is going to play out now that Cobra is sick of sharing power.

DarthQuack
04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
At least they finally put the fires out :)

figrin bran
04-20-2009, 11:15 PM
What do you mean "they"? Barbecue put them out singlehandedly!

I'm still wondering if Cobra Commander is being voiced by Corey Burton as he sounds an awful lot like Megatron on Transformers Animated. I like the voice even more after the "none of your crap" speech.

edit : Better yet, Dial Tone discerned 5 possible ways that the fire could be extinguished and then put it out without even leaving her post.

RooJay
04-21-2009, 02:43 AM
I also kind of like the change of Snake-Eyes not being burned from head to toe.

Who said that's been changed? What we see here is his Ninja training - I'm sure there's more to his life's story. Besides, what happened to him in this episode hardly seems like it would drive a man to keep his face hidden, though it clearly explains why he never speaks.

Droid
04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't get the Dial-Tone thing. Why not just call the character something else? Not that I ever cared about Dial Tone! It makes it clear, this is its own universe, not a contiunation of anything we've seen before.

Cobra Commander killed Bludd? I could see it. I thought the line about pretending to be weak or whatever was a stretch though.

I like the comic back story for SE and SS more, but this is better than anything they did for the two on the original cartoon. Weird that SS would hire that assassin to do his dirty work though. (I'm not saying who it is in case some would consider that a spoiler).

Episode 5 really picked up. I thought there was a bit too much Exposition in parts 3 and 4 since the whole show is only an hour.

It may appear so, but they won't kill SE or SS. No way.

The art of Destro is weird to me. Too bulky.

pbarnard
04-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't get the Dial-Tone thing. Why not just call the character something else? Not that I ever cared about Dial Tone! It makes it clear, this is its own universe, not a contiunation of anything we've seen before.

GI Joe is a series of trade marked names. It is not a story or characters. Everythign about it is promotion of those trademarks. Comics, movies, tv shows are just paid advertisements to buy the toys with the trademarked names.

Now you know...:yes:

El Chuxter
04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
I thought I posted this already, but maybe not....

The deal with Dial-Tone is basically this: Chuck Dixon is writing the new comic for IDW Publishing. He decided the Joe team needed more female characters and more tech support personnel, so he created a new female communications specialist. (I don't know the name.) When the issue went to Hasbro for approval, they shot that down, saying that there could not be a new communications person on the team, as there were too many. (What, three? Maybe up to five if you count the carpy last couple of years when I wasn't paying close attention.)

The issue was already ready to go, but not printed, so Hasbro told IDW to call her "Dial Tone" instead, and the change was made. (In the age of digital lettering, changing a name is nothing. Changing the artwork could've taken a week or so, delaying the book.) It appears that it's carried over beyond the IDW book.

It's especially weird, since Devil's Due was allowed to create Firewall, a female computer specialist, when they had the license about five years ago. Not sure why Hasbro didn't suggest that name as an alternative, either.

She looks much younger than the "proper" team, so maybe the original retired in this world, and they re-use code names?

I don't think the female version has been named in any universe, and can't help but wonder if they'll keep the filename mostly intact, making her "Jackie Morelli."

I think SS hired an assassin because of the vendetta he mentioned when Snake Eyes attacked him. And the identity appears to be a nod to the original backstory.

Ando
04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Can someone help me out here:

I've been seeing the toys on the shelves and now I have stumbled onto this thread.

What are the details on this show?

It's on Adult Swim I gather, but what day(s) and what time(s)?

When did it start. It sounds REALLY interesting and I was a huge GI Joe fan as a kid and would love to check this out.

Thanks in advance!

El Chuxter
04-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Five minutes "webisodes" at adultswim.com. (Right now, the link is on the main page, a closeup shot of Wild Bill.) Two added per day at 6PM EST this week. The first (but not the second) from the next day seem to have a way of finding themselves on YouTube a day early. Saturday night at midnight (technically Sunday morning), the entire thing airs as a movie, including the 10-minute finale, which won't be online until afterwards (Monday, I think).

If you've got about 25 minutes, adultswim.com has 1-4, and 5 is on YouTube if you use the link above or search for "Resolute 5."

Ando
04-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Thank you very much, I appreciate the help!

El Chuxter
04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Add Ripcord to the roster, and he isn't the mysterious black guy beside Cover Girl in the group shot....

And the 5-pack Duke with the hangglider/jetpack is apparently cartoon-accurate, after all. Have to wonder if the once-rumored (and never produced) "Arctic Scarlett" was based on this episode.

Also saw some Alley Vipers in Part 6 (though I never would've identified them as such had Scarlett not said it). Part 6 could overall be the weakest chapter so far, but it's still better than ANYTHING else on TV.

This is the first version of GIJoe where I actually like Duke!

I'm hoping we hear Zartan's voice at some point. Two appearances, and both in the "silent but deadly" vein. I'm curious how he sounds in Resolute.

No sign yet of a Part 7 on YouTube. Wonder if the guys at Adult Swim finally figured out that episodes were leaking a day early.

Ando
04-21-2009, 05:16 PM
About to start part 4. I am very much into this series.

DarthQuack
04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Yea, I enjoyed seeing Zartan, I didn't the episode was too weak other than Scarlett and Duke not being able to hit the broad side of a barn when shooting.

Droid
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I like the mysterious Zartan.

I think the Alley Vipers not hitting Duke or Scarlett once undermined the "realism" I think they are going for a bit. Better to have Duke and Scarlett behind cover before they started firing or have Duke and Scarlett shoot the Vipers before they got off a shot.

figrin bran
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
GI Joe is a series of trade marked names. It is not a story or characters. Everythign about it is promotion of those trademarks. Comics, movies, tv shows are just paid advertisements to buy the toys with the trademarked names.

Now you know...:yes:

So you're saying that Larry Hama is one of the greatest pitchmen ever?

Seeing as how the Duke w. glider pack from the 5 pack is series accurate, I'm glad I got the set. That along with the fact that I wanted more of the Cobra troopers. The sets have been shelf warming all of my local stores but hopefully that will start to change.

I'm still curious as to the voice talent. Duke sounds an awful lot like Wolverine from Wolverine and the X-men while Dial Tone sounds like Padme from CW minus the lisp.

bigbarada
04-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Okay, I'm up to date, just watched part 6. :thumbsup:

The thing with Duke and Scarlet standing in the hallway and not getting shot with all those bullets flying bothers me a little bit, but it's not unheard of and it's forgivable considering it's a cartoon. What actually bugged me was something small that people without tactical military experience would probably never even notice. When they were under fire, Duke said "We need some cover!" and Scarlet threw the smoke grenade to hide them from the enemy. However, smoke isn't considered cover, it's considered concealment. The difference is that concealment will hide you from direct view of the enemy, but it's not going to stop a bullet from getting through. So, smoke, grass, tree branches, cloth, etc. would all be considered concealment. Cover is going to hide you from direct view of the enemy AND it will stop bullets from penetrating. So, a mound of dirt, large rocks, metallic objects, dead livestock, etc. would be considered cover.

Also, walking past a hallway, perpendicular to your line of sight, and not actually looking down that hallway for any signs of the enemy is a little sloppy.

But again, it's a cartoon so their military tactics are not going to be perfect.

However, there's been enough pure awesomeness up to this point, that I'm willing to overlook these minor details. :)

bigbarada
04-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah, it's cool that Zartan seems to still have his camouflage abilities.

Blue2th
04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Duke and Scarlet had no problem shooting the guards when they first got to the base, but were terrible shots in the hallway. Maybe they threw that in there to remind us how the original cartoon was. An inside joke if you will.

figrin bran
04-22-2009, 12:13 AM
BigB, that was actually Duke who tossed the grenade and Scarlett laying down the cover fire.

Thanks for enlightening us about military tactics! That's always interesting to know especially for those of us who like to set up figure displays.

Maradona
04-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Just watched 1-6. WOW! This is too good not become an ongoing series. Which, of course, means it won't.

pbarnard
04-22-2009, 11:12 AM
So you're saying that Larry Hama is one of the greatest pitchmen ever?

Not quite, because the cartoon did a lot more selling. :thumbsup: I'm saying there's a group of gullible core fan base that thinks doing anything to deviate from those ads is sacriledge that they don't realize they've been conned and than they cream their pants when he says it was just a job.

Back to Resolute, I don't see the greatness here. Mostly it's an over reaction to having nothing for so long. Has more depth than anything put out there, but guess what the intended audiance by this point better have more depth. But than they give a silly salute to the cartoons we watched as kids, and no one can shoot anyone at near point blank range.

I can only see it as a cynical jaded attempt to keep the same gullible fools attatched to a brand because they know the movie won't sit well with the fools.

Ando
04-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Very cool series. I watched 1-5 yesterday at work and set up a recording for the "movie" on my DVR so I can watch them all the way through on my big TV.

bigbarada
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Not quite, because the cartoon did a lot more selling. :thumbsup: I'm saying there's a group of gullible core fan base that thinks doing anything to deviate from those ads is sacriledge that they don't realize they've been conned and than they cream their pants when he says it was just a job.

Back to Resolute, I don't see the greatness here. Mostly it's an over reaction to having nothing for so long. Has more depth than anything put out there, but guess what the intended audiance by this point better have more depth. But than they give a silly salute to the cartoons we watched as kids, and no one can shoot anyone at near point blank range.

I can only see it as a cynical jaded attempt to keep the same gullible fools attatched to a brand because they know the movie won't sit well with the fools.

So, we're fools for liking GI Joe? I guess that exact same logic could apply to those "gullible fools" who still like Star Wars and post on Star Wars-themed message boards. Of course, that includes me, but at least I'm not arrogant and pretentious enough to act like I'm above it all. :rolleyes:

pbarnard
04-22-2009, 12:21 PM
What I'm trying to say is that GI Joe line has been held hostage since the relaunch. They want it to be exactly the way it was in 82 or 83 etc. They want o-rings, they want Larry Hama, they don't want it to change. They wanted the previous comic license holder to not deviate and keep the same continuity. Hasbro caved to them for almost 5 years. Guess what, the line went a way, the comic book died/tanked in sales. There lament has been if only there was a cartoon to promote it.

Hasbro than decided to do something new and inventive. The line grew beyond that core group. They sold the rights to a new comic series, totally devoid of any attatchment to the past. Whining, so comic licensee brought back Hama, still whimpering about not his continuity.

I never said not enjoying it, although I do see some cynicism on how its distributed and released. It is not a great story, just a story. There is a cartoon with no promotoin because the intended audiance is the exact same group that one side of their mouth bemoans it for not being the past but praise it because it is GI Joe. There is a total disconnect of intelectual criticism.

A comparison between Star Wars and GI Joe isn't valid either. Star Wars was a story that characters came from. We bemoan when Luke or Han don't look like Luke or Han when plasticized. Hasbro doesn't tell Lucas to insert a character into a video game, comic, novel or movie. They ask for permission to make a given piece of plastic from a given source and even than have to have the likeness aproved by Lucas. GI Joe has and always will be a name of things that creative people have been asked/forced to insert certain things into because that's what Hasbro wants to sell. Hasbro's alread made the plastic, now put it into your book or show.

Sorry, I dont go along with just because it's GI Joe cartoon it has to be great. It gets pluses because people finally die in the show. It gets minuses because depsite their uber-special status, they still can't aim or hit anything. It gets minuses because they still waste too much time with ninjas. It's even because format means it can only do so much exposition and does an adequate job at that. It's even (to almost a minus) that it still is pushing scientific plausability and the people who are coming up with it are probably not trained in the field. It's fine that certain characters gender have flipped. I don't like anime, so another minus for me.

I can look at it and evaluate it critically. Just because it's GI Joe wears off in an instant, so I try not to look at it with the warm fuzzy feeling in my pants that everyone else seems to get just because it's GI Joe.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Actually, GIJoe was totally dead in the water when Devil's Due sought out the license. It was their idea to continue the original Marvel run. They lost the license mostly because they ran out of ideas and were lousy at keeping paperbacks in print (most were sought-after rare collectibles within a month).

IDW got the license because they had proven themselves with another Hasbro license (Transformers). There was no fanboy complaining that made them bring on Hama; they announced his involvement in the same press release where they revealed they had the license. Much as both Bob Budiansky and Simon Furman were involved with their Transformers comics.

Too much ninja involvement? At least we don't have a big ninja-fest starring Jinx, T'jbang, Dojo, and all the other loser ninjas that clogged the toyline and comic in the later days. But you can't simply cut out the two most popular characters, either. I'm glad Ellis has done something new with them.

I'm not going to completely discount the entire series simply because Duke and Scarlett miss some Vipers when surprised in a dark corridor. It's unlikely, but it's not impossible.

Maradona
04-22-2009, 03:20 PM
What I'm trying to say is that GI Joe line has been held hostage since the relaunch. They want it to be exactly the way it was in 82 or 83 etc. They want o-rings, they want Larry Hama, they don't want it to change.

GI Joe has changed several times: 3 3/4 went to Extreme, Sgt. Savage, Sigma 6. The 12" line changed to the Adventure Team. The idea for this relaunch was based on an anniversary of the RAH 3 3/4 concept.

The new cartoon, on the whole, has satisfied me. Cobra Commander's dialogue is done terribly, but the rest more than makes up for it.

pbarnard
04-22-2009, 03:35 PM
GI Joe has changed several times: 3 3/4 went to Extreme, Sgt. Savage, Sigma 6. The 12" line changed to the Adventure Team. The idea for this relaunch was based on an anniversary of the RAH 3 3/4 concept.

The new cartoon, on the whole, has satisfied me. Cobra Commander's dialogue is done terribly, but the rest more than makes up for it.

And have you counted or had to suffer through joeboard complaining about each line? I gave up reading the comic forrums in '04 just to try and catch a gist of the plots' populartiy (never a fan). While there are some fans of each of those lines, they get shouted down and ridiculed by the majority. Let me sumarize it: It wasn't o-ring based 3.75". Want more of the same, read the rants about the JoeCon set this year both what it is, and construction to be used.

2 episodes, on a time limited format, devoted to Ninjas. One is sufficient. I won't discount their (forced) popularity, but at least it is a new take on their history without everyone being interconnected to them (so far).

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Part VII: I'm going to assume Tunnel Rat's (now deceased) cohorts were "greenshirts," since they didn't make a point to name any of them.

Loving Destro and Baroness. They're really amped up--sort of the Marvel versions without the restrictions of the Comics Code approval. I especially dig Destro's voice--similar to the original, but with a noticeable Scottish accent.

I wonder if Gung Ho and Roadblock survived that blast.

Part VIII: Holy ****. Just holy ****. Damn.

wolfbolt86
04-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Eight is the best so far.

I just have one problem with the show. They seem to use the same voice actors/ actress. Charlie Adler and Steven Blum seem to voice the bulk of the males and Grey Delisle is the only woman it seems. It doesn't really take away from the show, but I wish that a few more people were involved.

bigbarada
04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
(never a fan)

And you're still posting in this thread, because..... ? :confused:

I'm more interested in talking with fellow fans of GI Joe who are just as excited about this new series as I am. Rather than defending it against someone who was clearly predisposed to disliking the new cartoon from the start.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm cool with any point of view. Otherwise I have to stop posting in the Clone Wars threads. :D

At the very least, I think three will be the limit for ninja-devoted episodes. I'm sure Snake Eyes is flying to Siberia now to clear up that little romantic triangle and save Scarlett's skin. Unless Zartan is a ninja in this version (he is in some versions, not in others), or Snake Eyes tracks down Firefly first, I'm sure any further ninja action will be one-sided.

Of course, Zartan is silent and remains unseen here until it's way too late to do anything. So maybe he is a ninja.

Oh, and welcome aboard, wolfbolt86!

bigbarada
04-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Just watched 7 & 8 and, yes, that was very cool! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm sure Snake Eyes is flying to Siberia now to clear up that little romantic triangle and save Scarlett's skin.

The whole idea of Snake-Eyes and Scarlet being romantically involved still just seems so weird to me. But I was raised on the original cartoon, so I'll always see Duke and Scarlet as a couple.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 06:38 PM
She'd better stay with Snake Eyes! Men don't come along often who will take a helicopter explosion to the face to protect a pretty girl. :p

On a more serious note, it's funny in the earliest Marvel issues how most of the team doesn't know they're an item, and Clutch and Steeler both hit on her constantly.

Blue2th
04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Awesome episodes!

I like the blue outfits on Baroness and Destro. The Resolute 5-pk Destro doesn't look anything like it.

bigbarada
04-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I like the blue outfits on Baroness and Destro. The Resolute 5-pk Destro doesn't look anything like it.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the real Resolute action figures. Not this kit-bashed bullcrap.

bigbarada
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
She'd better stay with Snake Eyes! Men don't come along often who will take a helicopter explosion to the face to protect a pretty girl. :p

On a more serious note, it's funny in the earliest Marvel issues how most of the team doesn't know they're an item, and Clutch and Steeler both hit on her constantly.

I'm pulling for Duke to get the girl. :p

Blue2th
04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting for the real Resolute action figures. Not this kit-bashed bullcrap.

Yeah so far only the single carded figures match.
I like the cut of these uniforms, I would wear one if I had it. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I just watched the entire thing, per Chux's request. While I'm glad that they fans are loving it, I'm not completely sold.

First, the bad. I've never been a fan of this choppy cost-cutting pseudo-anime animation style. It's distracting more than anything else. I know it looks a little like the 80s cartoon, but it's not my cup of tea. The voice acting is a little bit goofy; half the men sound like Batman and the other half sound like Rorschach. :p Well, not really, but the acting is not amazing. The accents, for one, aren't great, and a lot of stuff just reads cheesily. Part of that must be the writing.

Though I've never seen/read/looked into anything GI Joe before, I felt like I've seen this story many times over. Evil guy wants to take over the world, a city gets destroyed, etc. (By the way, Cobra Commander's helmet reminded me of Vader, especially from the back. Dunno if that's a Nazi-related thing or what.) For me, I'm not invested enough in the characters to really care about them. So, as a jumping-off point, this cartoon fails.

Along those same lines, after reading this thread, I have to say that I didn't pick up on much of what was being discussed, character-wise. A love triangle? I surely didn't see anything like that. I think you have to bring your history into this or else you're in the dark, which I think might be fine since this is an old property, but like I said, it's not really great for newbies like me.

I also found it a little odd that, near the beginning, Scarlett just throws away her disguise in plain daylight. Wouldn't someone get suspicious? That seems like a sloppy thing to do.

As for the good, I liked the ninja story overall. It seemed too rushed, though. I suppose people who are already fans know more of the backstory (even if it was changed), but there wasn't really enough animosity between them, then all of a sudden Storm Shadow (?) is dead after spending like ten minutes on the story. Some of the action went too far over the top, like Storm Shadow getting his forearms sliced open but not really caring, and Snake Eyes getting the blade through his hand and acting like nothing happened. Even for a ninja, that's gotta be damn painful. :p

I'm more interested in talking with fellow fans of GI Joe who are just as excited about this new series as I am. Rather than defending it against someone who was clearly predisposed to disliking the new cartoon from the start.
This is why I hate when people bash on the prequels and The Clone Wars incessantly. Don't like it? Fine. Say what you don't like about it and move on. (Chux. :p )

So, anyway, you don't need to defend it against me if you don't want to. It's pretty fun and enjoyable, but I'm not a converted diehard GI Joe fan. I'll watch the last two parts but I don't think I'll be really doing much GI Joe stuff after that. I'm certainly glad that the fans like it, though. :)

Blue2th
04-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I like everything. From the OTC to Prequels to Clone Wars to GI Joe and Resolute.

I might be too open minded. :cross-eye

What I like about this animation is that it is kinda of an Anime style, with good story telling like Anime, but none of the characters have those stupid cute cookie cutter Anime faces. That always bothered me for some reason, like one artist did every Anime cartoon.

Droid
04-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I have never cared for Tunnel Rat and Hasbro seems obsessed with him. This doesn't seem like the mission for him to me. Not sure who though. (Airborne? Ripcord?) I didn't care for his joke after his two fellow generic Joes died.

I think guarding hostages seems a bit beneath Destro and Baroness. Maybe there is more to it.

I like that Stalker, Gung-Ho, and Roadblock are in the thick of it. I hated the later character of the week slant to the later cartoons. I don't think Roadblock or Gung-Ho are dead.

Cobra (as always) really seems to be underestimating the Joes (like Duke said in an ealier segment). Just hit the Flag once and be done with it? Just set up all your technology and do nothing else to hit the people who always eliminate you?

I really don't care for just angry Storm Shadow. I liked the comics version with him being tormented more. I think that it is great to see my first ever fight between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow outside of the comics. I don't think they ever fought on the original cartoon and I never saw Sigma or the other incarnations. However, I don't believe Storm Shadow is dead. Maybe this is a one shot and he is, but I doubt it. Maybe he is in one of those ninja sleeps like in the comics. Or maybe Snake Eyes killed Zartan posing as Storm Shadow - or something. But I will be very surprised if he is dead. And if he is it seems a bit of a waste after like five or ten minutes of screen time in this new format.

bigbarada
04-22-2009, 11:03 PM
I have never cared for Tunnel Rat and Hasbro seems obsessed with him. This doesn't seem like the mission for him to me. Not sure who though. (Airborne? Ripcord?) I didn't care for his joke after his two fellow generic Joes died.

Well, the original Tunnel Rat was based after Larry Hama, so that's probably why Hasbro uses him so much.

I like that Stalker, Gung-Ho, and Roadblock are in the thick of it. I hated the later character of the week slant to the later cartoons. I don't think Roadblock or Gung-Ho are dead.

I do remember the whole character of the week thing with the second season of GI Joe. It seemed that every new 1986 action figure had to have his own episode. There was definitely more of a blatantly commercial aspect to season 2. Of course it was there in season one, but never as obvious. Probably one of the reasons that my interest faded very quickly after 1986 (although Serpentor was the main reason I lost interest).

I really don't care for just angry Storm Shadow. I liked the comics version with him being tormented more. I think that it is great to see my first ever fight between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow outside of the comics. I don't think they ever fought on the original cartoon and I never saw Sigma or the other incarnations. However, I don't believe Storm Shadow is dead. Maybe this is a one shot and he is, but I doubt it. Maybe he is in one of those ninja sleeps like in the comics. Or maybe Snake Eyes killed Zartan posing as Storm Shadow - or something. But I will be very surprised if he is dead. And if he is it seems a bit of a waste after like five or ten minutes of screen time in this new format.

Yeah, SS and SE never fought in the original cartoon. In fact, I don't even think they were ever in the same episode. Even if they were, they never once acknowledged each others existence. So the relationship between the two was only in the comic book back in those days. I believe the only Joe that Stormshadow had a history with in the cartoon was Spirit.

For the record, I don't think Stormshadow is really dead either.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 11:36 PM
So, no beret for you, John? :)

I didn't realize it, but I've talked to three non-Joe fans and convinced them to watch, and all have different backgrounds. So, not a calculated experiment, but I'm interested in knowing the results overall.

You were born as Joe was on its way out, and mostly know it second hand. Then there's my wife, who has some exposure through me and her brothers, but never got too "into" it. And a friend of mine who hates Joe, somehow is the only guy in his 30s to have never watched or played with it, but is a massive fan of Warren Ellis. Should be interesting.

The ninja aspect seems to be a "love it/hate it" thing. A lot of fans complain about it overshadowing the military aspect, and it does sometimes. But it's still always been a core element of the story. I think maybe they wanted to do it in full episodes to get plenty of it in, but finish it earlier than expected so it didn't take over. As for the wounds, well, part of what people don't like about the "ninja thing" is a heavy emphasis on some of the more mystical and legendary historical aspects--like how both seemed to stop the blood flow to some serious wounds through willpower, or how Storm Shadow was still staggering after a blow to the chest that knocked his backpack off.

"Love triangle" might be overstating things, but there was some tension in the "You can go with him, or you can stay with me." Basically, Scarlett, being the first woman, was "attached" to the main character. In the cartoon, it was Duke, the next-to-perfect everyman. Hama apparently hated Duke and loved Snake Eyes, so he got the girl in the comic. (It's interesting that Hama used Duke as little as possible, while Snake Eyes hardly appeared in the show because the writers had a hard time with a mute character.)

Oh, and Storm Shadow = dead. Very dead. Snake Eyes is a more powerful ninja in this story, so I doubt he could be faked out by Storm Shadow going into a trance. If he is alive, he's suffocated after being buried, broken limbs and all, under a pile of rocks.

figrin bran
04-22-2009, 11:43 PM
You know, JediTricks either has not watched or has not commented yet. If/when he does, watch some sparks fly!

Eight is the best so far.

I just have one problem with the show. They seem to use the same voice actors/ actress. Charlie Adler and Steven Blum seem to voice the bulk of the males and Grey Delisle is the only woman it seems. It doesn't really take away from the show, but I wish that a few more people were involved.

Hooray! I guessed correctly on Duke and was close on the female characters. I had a feeling it was someone from Clone Wars only it wasn't Padme but Ventress.

I loved installments #7 and 8. The Resolute comic Tunnel Rat figure looks even worse now as he has squinty eyes.

As for the good, I liked the ninja story overall. It seemed too rushed, though. I suppose people who are already fans know more of the backstory (even if it was changed), but there wasn't really enough animosity between them, then all of a sudden Storm Shadow (?) is dead after spending like ten minutes on the story. Some of the action went too far over the top, like Storm Shadow getting his forearms sliced open but not really caring, and Snake Eyes getting the blade through his hand and acting like nothing happened. Even for a ninja, that's gotta be damn painful.

But Anakin jumping hundreds of feet downward and landing on a STAP without any pain whatsoever is okay with you? :p

figrin bran
04-23-2009, 12:04 AM

I didn't realize it, but I've talked to three non-Joe fans and convinced them to watch, and all have different backgrounds. So, not a calculated experiment, but I'm interested in knowing the results overall.

You were born as Joe was on its way out, and mostly know it second hand. Then there's my wife, who has some exposure through me and her brothers, but never got too "into" it. And a friend of mine who hates Joe, somehow is the only guy in his 30s to have never watched or played with it, but is a massive fan of Warren Ellis. Should be interesting.

I don't know how that's even possible! I was never a huge Thundercats fan and never owned toys but at least watched it from time to time.

At least with Resolute, Warren Ellis has already bettered upon the JLU "Dark Heart" episode that he wrote.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-23-2009, 01:47 AM
No, but I know where I can borrow one. :D

But Anakin jumping hundreds of feet downward and landing on a STAP without any pain whatsoever is okay with you? :p
Yes, but I cringe a little when I see Padmé jump 20 feet right onto the Reek's back, so it all works out. :p

Droid
04-23-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm wondering if Storm Shadow faked his death to get Snake-Eyes to show him the seventh move.

I agree, as shown, it sure seems like Storm Shadow should be dead. But I find it hard to believe they'd kill him unless Hasbro has no intention of letting anyone use the Resolute world again.

Maybe Resolute is Hasbro's final saltue to the original fans before they plan to make everything the movie universe from now on. :upset:(Until they need us again.)

So they can kill anyone they want.

RooJay
04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Maybe Hasbro isn't forced to stick with anyone else's continuity. As I recall, Doc died in the Marvel series many years ago and we still got a new figure of him just last year.

Stormshadow = dead in the Resolute animation = still capable of being cast in plastic

El Chuxter
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
adultswim.com has a funny concept of when exactly 6PM EST is, because 9-10 are up.

One more confirmed "named" kill. Roadblock is one bad mofo. Scarlett is even badder (even if she made the wrong choice here :D).

Oh, and now that they showed his face a bit more closely, the mysterious black dude was Ripcord, after all. I wonder if we'll ever see a white Ripcord or male Dial Tone again.

El Chuxter
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
A thought occurs to me....

At Comic-Con last year, the design for Destro had a bionic arm. Someone on the Hasbro panel said he does something impressive with the arm. I'm guessing that was cut out, since he only has one episode left to do anything cool. And I didn't notice his arm being unusual.

Blue2th
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Good thing he had a metal plated head or Roadblock would've taken him out. "Clank" :yes:

bigbarada
04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Woohoo! Scarlet chose Duke! :D (I feel like some shut in housewife who watches too many soap operas.)

I just realized that there are only ten minutes of story left. :( This ended way too quickly. Hasbro needs to make more, as long as they keep Serpentor out of it.

El Chuxter
04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Prequel could work. I've seen a lot of people at other boards saying it wouldn't, but we only see a small number of both sides in Resolute. So an episode of, say, Alpine, Quick Kick, and Outback going up against Dr Mindbender, Tomax, Xamot, and Darklon could still have some real suspense. They could flesh out some of the things that were sorta skimmed over here (like the Arashikage drama).

figrin bran
04-23-2009, 09:54 PM
A thought occurs to me....

At Comic-Con last year, the design for Destro had a bionic arm. Someone on the Hasbro panel said he does something impressive with the arm. I'm guessing that was cut out, since he only has one episode left to do anything cool. And I didn't notice his arm being unusual.

According to Hisstank, the Res. Destro will come with a removable bionic arm.

I loved parts 9 and 10!!! The clank off of Destro's head was awesome! While I don't usually look those slo mo shoot with two guns while in the air scenes, I'll make an exception for Miss O'Hara.

Hopefully now that they're going after CC, we'll finally see some massive battle with Skystrikers and Rattlers.

Prequel could work. I've seen a lot of people at other boards saying it wouldn't, but we only see a small number of both sides in Resolute. So an episode of, say, Alpine, Quick Kick, and Outback going up against Dr Mindbender, Tomax, Xamot, and Darklon could still have some real suspense. They could flesh out some of the things that were sorta skimmed over here (like the Arashikage drama).

How about calling the prequel "Cobra Resolute"? :thumbsup:

bigbarada
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Just the fact that Destro's head moves like it's made of flesh, but is still metal makes it clear that this was never intended to be a 100% realistic re-imagining of the series. So, with that understanding, the poor marksmanship during some of the firefights is more easily overlooked as far as I'm concerned.

However, there is an element of realism to the firefights, if you're just blindly firing with a fully-automatic weapon in one general direction, then it's actually much more difficult to hit a target than you might think. Even expert marksmen need to take the time to aim their shots if they want to hit anything.

Also, seeing as how this is GI Joe, they're probably all wearing a more advanced form of Dragon Skin armor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THQwO7-JMvE

Supposedly this stuff can even stop a grenade blast at point blank range (even though the concussion alone from that kind of blast would probably still kill the person in the armor or at least cause severe internal organ and brain injuries).

RooJay
04-25-2009, 02:30 AM
Having now experienced Resolute, I'm thinking I would love to see this approach taken with other of the cartoons I cherished as a child - Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, M.A.S.K., Centurions, Thundar the Barbarian, etc.! Just please...longer episodes.

figrin bran
04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
The finale is up on youtube right now!

Cobra Commander sounds a lot more like C. Latta in this episode. "Get riiiiidddd of thisssss garrrrbaggge!!!!" Red Cobra troopers appear so the 2 from the Resolute 5 pack are show accurate as well.

edit: Just finished watching and as I'm sure many others will say, I wish there could be more. The way he took care of CC, there will be no calling Resolute Duke "resolute duck" like we did with the Tiger Force figure a few months back.

bigbarada
04-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Yes, we need more GI Joe Resolute, ASAP.:yes:

Blue2th
04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Also, seeing as how this is GI Joe, they're probably all wearing a more advanced form of Dragon Skin armor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THQwO7-JMvE

Supposedly this stuff can even stop a grenade blast at point blank range (even though the concussion alone from that kind of blast would probably still kill the person in the armor or at least cause severe internal organ and brain injuries).

That Dragon Skin is awesome.
I heard about it when they were trying to get a military contract, but political wrangling and lobbying in favor of the standard Kevlar armor prevented the armed forces from using it from what I understand.
Hopefully they got all that straightened out now. Our troops need the best stuff.

I hope they see fit to continue Resolute or GI Joe like this somehow. I think it's enormously popular. It'd be a shame if they didn't.

Blue2th
04-26-2009, 11:34 AM
So...I watched the last one on Youtube. Lots of cool vehicles.
The helicopters look like Hinds but were a unique design.
Looks like they upgraded to F-22 Raptors instead of the Tomcat like Skystryker.
C-5A Transport.
I like the Cobra Flying Pods.
Good to see the Hiss Tank, looks more advanced though.

I never did see the Comic-Con preview part in any of the episodes, where Snake Eyes saves Roadblock and Duke is it? Unless I missed it. Maybe in a future episode?

El Chuxter
04-26-2009, 11:59 AM
The Comic-Con preview was actually supposedly a scene from the live-action movie that they animated to shop the series.

It's still the best animated Joe ever, but I thought the finale was a bit rushed. Hate to say it, but I would rather have liked to see more Joe deaths than just Bazooka. Even one of the characters without a voice actor--show someone fall, and a character beside him yells his name, or something.

I will say I loathed the "epilogue." It was silly, and do you really expect me to believe Duke was dumb enough to think CC survived that blast, especially when he was still inside, pounding on the door and yelling, "Damn! Damn! Damn!" seconds before the blast hit? I would rather have seen a scene or two of the team in a more toned-down situation, maybe at Bazooka's funeral, and have Scarlett and/or Duke actually talk to Snake Eyes about the decision she made in Siberia that affects his life quite a bit.

Minor complaints, thoguh. I still expect this to trump the live-action movie in so many ways it's not funny.

Ji'dai
04-27-2009, 04:25 PM
I was watching for that Comic-Con scene too. Snake-Eyes did deliver on his other action sequences though.

Finally watched this show Sunday. I had to wait to DVR it from Cartoon Network. I enjoyed it; it was fun to see references to both the comic and the cartoon. I kinda of rolled my eyes at some of the firefights. It was just hard to believe that the good guys weren't cut to ribbons with all that lead flying. Especially the scene with Duke and Scarlett surrounded by Cobra troops in the Siberian missile silo.

I didn't much care that Scarlett chose Duke over Snake Eyes. Everyone knows that Scarlett and SE have a long history. Comics = canon.

I want animated figures of Scarlett and Baroness. I thought Destro looked goofy, though he and Baroness had matching outfits. Destro's Scottish accent was a bit over the top at times.

And Storm Shadow is not dead! Even as I post this, his still-warm corpse is being lowered into a vat of primordial goo in a secret Cobra laboratory somewhere. It seems that after Cobra Commander's most recent humiliation at the hands of GI JOE, factions within Cobra are proceeding with their plan to engineer the perfect warrior leader...

Blue2th
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah didn't that guy do the voice of General Worme Loathsome? :rolleyes: I suppose it works. Also, didn't Destro have a Scottish castle in the original cartoon, and some sort of jealousness love triangle with Lady Jay and Baroness disguised?
That's the episode that goes into Destro's history and why he wears the mask and a secret society he controls.
I know I'd rather hear the old Destro's laugh. Probably the most imitated laugh by young kids of the 80's muuuuuuaahaha! lol

Well, I'm resolute in wanting more Resolute, if you don't believe me just test my resoluteness. :yes:

El Chuxter
04-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Okay....

Bazooka is dead. No question. Doc even looked to be preparing for an autopsy.

Ditto on Major Bludd. If he could survive being stabbed through the heart, then moved from Springfield to Washington, he's a super villain, and the Joe team could never hope to stop him.

Zartan: Dead. It's possible he survived the gunshot. But he was at least knocked out, and he was in plain sight of both Duke and Scarlett until they left. Given that all the nukes detonated within a minute of their escape, he's disintegrated.

Cobra Commander: I said it before, there's no way. Even if his pod could escape, it didn't do it while the Joes were around, or it would've been shot down. Once again, they escaped with seconds to spare, so the evil Commander is toast, regardless of what Duke's report said. (If they continued from this point, it could be neat to see Destro or someone else in charge, with Duke so deluded in his belief that Cobra Commander lives that he starts making mistakes and endangering the team, or something.)

Storm Shadow: Dead. Sorry. Looks like a lot of people don't want to believe it. Snake Eyes in Resolute is a greater ninja, and any ninja trick Stormy could've pulled to fake his death wouldn't go unnoticed. Snake Eyes buried him. (In the comic, where they're essentially equals, Storm Shadow did once fake his death with Snake Eyes around, but they were under heavy fire, so no way could Snakes have examined the seemingly dead body before Cobra snatched it up.) Besides, a mystical move that means certain death is pointless if it doesn't actually kill.

Blue2th
04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Okay....

Cobra Commander: I said it before, there's no way. Even if his pod could escape, it didn't do it while the Joes were around, or it would've been shot down. Once again, they escaped with seconds to spare, so the evil Commander is toast, regardless of what Duke's report said. (If they continued from this point, it could be neat to see Destro or someone else in charge, with Duke so deluded in his belief that Cobra Commander lives that he starts making mistakes and endangering the team, or something.)

Cobra could have went down. Who knows what kind of fail safes he had in Springfield, especially when dealing with the reactor so close to the control booth.
I'm guessing he "feigned weakness" to further his deception to Duke, but actually had his escape planned with an elevator down. Resolute Cobra is a little smarter this time I suspect.

Cobra Lives!

figrin bran
04-28-2009, 01:35 AM
I wish that we could've seen the pilots during the Skystrikers/Trouble Bubble dogfights. Even if they were to just show Ace or Wild Bill or Wild Weasel for just a few seconds and no dialogue, that would still be better than just planes firing away at one another.

tagmac
04-28-2009, 06:14 PM
I was disappointed as well that the Comc-Con scene wasn't in there. Would be nice if it meant we'd be getting more "Resolute" in the future.

bigbarada
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I was disappointed as well that the Comc-Con scene wasn't in there. Would be nice if it meant we'd be getting more "Resolute" in the future.

I seem to remember Hasbro saying, early on, that the Comic Con scene was made specifically for SDCC and wouldn't be a part of the actual series. So I guess I was never actually looking for it in the 60-minute movie.

Anyways, if they continue this series, then I'm really hoping to see Mutt & Junkyard. Or at least bring in Timber for Snake Eyes.

Ji'dai
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Well, when Storm Shadow is re-infused with life during the creation of Serpentor, I'm sure he'll pay a visit to his old friend Snake-Eyes at his mountain cabin. A good scene to introduce Timber, I think.

bigbarada
04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Well, when Storm Shadow is re-infused with life during the creation of Serpentor, I'm sure he'll pay a visit to his old friend Snake-Eyes at his mountain cabin. A good scene to introduce Timber, I think.

Well, I hope they fit Timber in there somewhere. SE already lost the girl, don't take his dog away from him too. :D

RooJay
04-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Personally, I like to think that Scarlet just told Duke what he wanted to hear - I'm sure Snake-Eyes can keep a secret!:bandit:

El Chuxter
04-30-2009, 09:20 AM
I think Serpentor already came and went in this world. "There will be no more power grabs," or something like that.

Droid
04-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think it ended nearly as well as it started.

Too many firefights where no one got hit.

Zartan's death was even more meaningless than Storm Shadow's.

Scarlett's dialogue with Duke was beyond painful.

Destro and the Baroness' assignment seemed beneath them.

Cobra would have blown up the Flag immediately.

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Got the DVD today and saw at least three definite differences:
"Honor returned" in the final report has been changed to "On our return." The voice-over sounds the same, though it probably was intended to be "on our return" all along. This makes a lot more sense, and I'm guessing whoever animated the text in this scene just made a boo-boo that was fixed for the DVD.
The closing credits don't scroll (as I'm pretty sure they did in the broadcast version). They're static, and use single-toned renditions of the concept artwork as background
An additional scene has been added after the credits. I have to admit, this is a change I did not at all care for; it doesn't work well, IMHO, in the Resolute world.
I can't swear to it, but I think some sound effects and the overall mix have been altered somewhat as well.

Much like Speed Racer, this one does not get old no matter how many times I see it. :D

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
In the bonus features, Destro's cybernetic arm (from the character design images) was finally explained. He was supposed to shoot off his arm at Gung Ho and Roadblock, which resulted in a volley of rockets, and apologize to the Baroness before escaping and leaving her to be caught. It was supposedly cut for time. I'm glad it was. It's totally out of character for any version of Destro (except maybe the ROC version).

It's frustrating watching the poorly-done interview, where screen shots or images would've really helped underscore what the guys were talking about. And Warren Ellis wasn't involved; I care more about what he'd say than the Hasbro marketing guys. It's also disturbing that they continually talked about making GIJoe "realistic" and adding violence. It's fine for fans who never read the comic book, but these guys are Hasbro. One freaking battle had a body count in the 20s, with nine Joes dying in a single skirmish. Especially given the new ending, the main character body count in Resolute is far lower.

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Well this just shows that both properties weren't good for GI Joe. It's sort of like pick your own death, hanging or beheading....

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Whether you liked it or not, it went over very well with the relatively few people who knew about it. So it would've done well for the franchise had it been publicized better. This could've better led to a true rejuvenation of the concept property, as opposed to the movie that a lot of people saw and no one seemed to like. Even with hardly any publicity, the toys did far better than the ROC toys are doing. And I saw, out of roughly 100-200 kids, only one kid in a GIJoe costume this weekend... and he was too young to have possibly have made the choice himself.

Since only Amazon and Best Buy seem to have the DVD (and Best Buy was almost out by yesterday afternoon), it looks like they're still trying to bury this and hype the movie. Honestly, since people who liked the movie will still buy it, and people who didn't won't, and people who just want to see it will still rent it, why not actually put on the DVD case for Resolute what an awful lot of reviews said: "This is what the movie should've been"? As it is, the one brick-and-mortar store that has it hides it on a rack with the three versions of the movie and the old TV show. No one who's not seen it will be buying it, with the Sigma Six looking packaging.

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 02:18 PM
This is the problem I have right now...I like the physical plastic toys, but loathe the media. The looks have so much potential but to see it squandered in the hands of the Summers making a hybrid cartoon or through Hasbro execs trying to make it about ninjas when ninjas had nothign to do with the bigger plot just doesn't work for me.

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 02:22 PM
You been reading the new comics by Hama, Dixon, and Gage? You might appreciate them. I do sort of wish they'd finally get to Cobra being something other than a rumor in the shadows, though. We know there has to be a Cobra Commander somewhere, and a year's a long time to wait.

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't have the $$$ to buy comics or TPB's of comics. I can follow tangentially on joebattlelines, but it really hasn't impressed me on a story that they should've done when DD got the initial license way back when.