PDA

View Full Version : Waking up Canadian!

bobafrett
04-17-2009, 09:32 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123993183347727843.html?mod=yhoofront

Oh, I so want to be like Mabs, and the members of Rush!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
04-18-2009, 11:04 AM
My great-great-grandfather crossed the border from Quebec in the mid-1800's. I wonder if I'm eligible? :Ponder:

Blue2th
04-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Wasn't Canada owned by Great Britain then? Or being fought over with the French? Isn't Quebec sort of a French area of Canada?
I need to study my history a little better.

I don't know what I am. Born to an Australian mother, American father, on British territory that was given back to the nation of Kiribati.
I don't know what the laws say I'm entitled to if any.
I do know at least I have American citizenship, but it's confusing otherwise.

I imagine it can get confusing for some Canadians who have moved around a lot across borders too.

mabudonicus
04-18-2009, 12:00 PM
2 of my best friends have dual US/Canadian citizenships .

Canadian history is kinda complicated, we didn't even have all our provinces into one solid country til halfway through last century, and we even added a province in the late 90's (just drew it on the map basically, not an expansion by any means)

I consider all my friends here honourary Canucks, even if they drink girlie drinks like Hennessey and SPRITE for cryin out loud
:beard: Iso&Baws
not naming names here ;)

LusiferSam
04-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Wasn't Canada owned by Great Britain then? Or being fought over with the French? Isn't Quebec sort of a French area of Canada?

Yes. Quebec (and most of eastern Canada) be came a British territory after the French and Indian War, which ended in 1763. France tried a couple of times to get it back, but failed miserly. The US also tried twice to invade Quebec and twice failed.

Quebec isn't sort the French area, it is the French area. And they're super anal about it. The rest of the country seems to bend over backwards for them and all they do is ask for more.

Darth Duranium
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Quebec isn't sort the French area, it is the French area.

Not true... much of the East Coast is French (Acadian=Cajun), parts of Manitoba, parts of my province (Northern and Eastern Ontario) are French... it's not so simple.

And they're super anal about it. The rest of the country seems to bend over backwards for them and all they do is ask for more.

True, Quebec can really be a real pain in the baguette. They already live in a separate country, for all intents and purposes. Millions of English live there, too... it's really not that oppressive. Just no English-only signs allowed, though they're everywhere in Quebec anyway. Everyone ignores it... like the traffic laws.

I'll say this for them: at least they helped to loosen up what used to be a tightly bunged-up English Canadian culture. The French knew how to eat, drink, sing, shag, and have some fun. And don't forget: French Canadians invented poutine and butter tarts...:rolleyes: ... and they despise Hennessey and Sprite.

Blue, depending on your birthdate, it's very likely you'd be able to claim passports and citizenship from Oz, the US, the UK, and Kiribati. Not bad... you beat me by one country... and it does get confusing!

RUSH played my high school auditorium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully, that was years before my time there...

LusiferSam
04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Not true... much of the East Coast is French (Acadian=Cajun), parts of Manitoba, parts of my province (Northern and Eastern Ontario) are French... it's not so simple.

I didn't mean this as Quebec was the only place there were French Canadians. What I meant was that the majority for French Canadians live in Quebec (something like 3/4 if I remember right). That's hardly "sort the French area." And as all of eastern Canada was part of New France I would expect to find a number French dominant pockets outside Quebec. But that doesn't change the fact that there are more French Canadians in Quebec then the rest of Canada combined.

Blue2th
04-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Blue, depending on your birthdate, it's very likely you'd be able to claim passports and citizenship from Oz, the US, the UK, and Kiribati. Not bad... you beat me by one country... and it does get confusing!

Yeah have to check on that a little more. I missed the great coronation of the King of Kiribati I just learned. That would of been interesting I think. Wonder if I could've married into the house of the royal family and my son's would be in line for the throne? :Ponder: I'm a white guy but we could have some carmel babies. :)

What's your countries? I'm guessing one is Canada. :grin:

I'll bet Billy Bob's not going to be an honourary Canuck anytime soon huh?
He better watch out, he's going to get some mashed potatoes and gravy in his face. That and some biscuits and mustard umm hmm. :yes:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090411/ap_on_en_mu/canada_people_billy_bob_thornton

sith_killer_99
04-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Quebec isn't sort the French area, it is the French area. And they're super anal about it.

Does that mean they smoke all the time and ignore personal hygiene? jk lol

Darth Duranium
04-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Lusifer, I understand what you meant now... you weren't being absolute. Actually, about 85% of French Canadians live in Quebec...

French Canadians have major influence outside Quebec... and not all of it's bad: they helped to keep Canada out of Iraq but were ok with fighting in Afghanistan, for instance. And major Canadian cities like Ottawa and Montreal are a real mix of English and French populations... it's complicated.

I thought the recent US anti-France thing (y'know, Freedom Fries, Freedom Toast etc.) was pretty pathetic... has that feeling changed in the US, or are they still drinking the Kool-Aid?

Maybe you'll be worshipped as a golden god when you make your return to Kiribati, Blue. That's if they're not completely under water by then.:( Better go soon...

Blue, I've loved Billy Bob ever since "Bad Santa"... the CBC wanker who interviewed him is a sanctimonious weasel who got what he deserved, IMO.

BB was a little bee-yauch but the gravy comment has got to be the least offensive "insult" ever... especially from BB... talk about a Tempest in a Gravy Boat.

It's not like he wiped his arse on a Mountie or something. Slow news day...it got lots of frothing press up here. Damn shame BB's music sucks so very, very deeply. Maybe that's why the crowd was so comatose.

I'd rather not say which countries' passports I've got (in a forum) Blue, but Canada's one and the others are in the EU. I could wangle an Aussie and US passport too... got immediate family there, too. Damn, that's 5! I'm Jason Bourne!

TeeEye7
05-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, when I woke up yesterday afternoon, I was still in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. It's time to go to bed now, and I wonder if this afternoon I'll wake up Canadian this time?

DarthQuack
05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Vancouverer's must have woken up happy to a win. :P

Blue2th
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I took a wrong toin at Albakoikee. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow I'll at least smell some Canadian Bacon. :cheeky:

JEDIpartner
05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
If you have swine flu, you could wake up Canadian Bacon!!! :crazed:

mabudonicus
05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I woke up Canadian for like over 10,000 days so far, some days it feels better than others, but today it felt GRRRRREAT
:beard: Iso&Baws
Oyes, another perfect day :D

TeeEye7
05-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Rats! Still in Kalifornia! :ermm: