PDA

View Full Version : Anvil: the story of Anvil

mabudonicus
04-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Saw it tonight, it's in pretty limited release. About the Canadian heavy metal band Anvil (as you could have guessed)

I can't say much besides it was a really sweet, fun film. A strange commentary on what exactly defines success among other things

It's pretty much a straight-up documentary and there's a lot of "candid" bits, but if you want to see Spinal Tap in real life this film comes DAMN close, it's an hour and a half of heartbreaking and funny in a true heavy metal way

:beard: Iso&Baws

Look it up on youtube or whatever if you have the slightest interest, everything associated with the film is full of foul language (tho oddly no drug use and no drinking, they keep it real)

El Chuxter
04-18-2009, 02:46 AM
It's on my list, yo. Is their music as good as the guests in the ads say they are?

mabudonicus
04-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Oh yes- they have a particular style and some rather off-colour themes. The only family friendly ones that come to mind are the songs "blood on the ice" (about hockey fights) "Tag Team" (pretty sure it's actually about wrestling) and "Mothra" (which sounds like they were really drunk and or high and watched the film as teens and totally didn't get it at all)

And I am in no way shilling for them, it's not a perfect movie, but I have actually met the band a few times and asked the lead singer/guitarist to draw a silly moustache on his pic instead of signing it once- seeing the film will make it clear how accessible they are (tho the frontman is by FAR the most gregarious)
:beard: Iso&Baws

And you can also look up a song called "5 knuckle shuffle", I think it's about gambling or something :D

bobafrett
04-18-2009, 06:09 AM
I heard about this on the radio the other day. Sounds interesting. Hope to catch it at a theatre near me.

DarthQuack
04-18-2009, 06:37 AM
I was hoping this was about Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart.