PDA

View Full Version : SDCC Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot) Figure!!

Beast
04-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned anywhere as of yet. But one of the exclusives for SDCC is a Luke Skywalker figure. Looks to be a repaint/repack of one of the older Flight Suit Luke Skywalkers. But he comes with the Ladder for the X-Wing that so many people were ticked about that they couldn't get when that accessory set got scrapped. Looks like he comes with a base as well. Pretty cool, but I feel bad for those folks with multiple X-Wings who want more than one ladder accessory. Here's the picture!

DarkJedi5
04-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah they mentioned this in the Toy Fair slide show. It's actually the Luke that was supposed to come in the WM droid factory sets but LFL nixed the "smiling" version and Hasbro had to throw in a repaint of the one we all had. It's just a new head as far as I can tell but it would go well with the burnt up R2 for his hero's welcome on Yavin for a diorama or display.

Beast
04-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't follow Star Wars as much as I used to. But at least the carded pic is new. :)

DarkJedi5
04-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't follow Star Wars as much as I used to. But at least the carded pic is new. :)

No doubt about that Beast, I'd only seen the loose pic from the slide show!

LTBasker
04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
It's a bit ridiculous to me. SDCC figures are usually about $15, but he was just previously available for about $7, the only new bits are a ladder and a goofy smile. Ironically, I find it to be an absolutely brilliant looking set and if this were on Wal-Mart's pegs I'd buy it without second thought. As an overpriced exclusive though? Just ridiculous.

"Luke, may the Orbit be with you."

JediTricks
04-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Interesting find.

Man, that smiley head is hard to look at. I guess I want that ladder, but if this thing is over $15, I don't think I can warrant the trigger-pull.

AmanaMatt
04-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Ladder is cool! Head sculpt is not. Man, hasbro is killing me with their subpar sculpts these days. That head sculpt looks AWFUL!

Their focus is clearly solely on the kiddies these days. As if Hasbro is thinking, 'ah kids wont notice a crap sculpt'

El Chuxter
04-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Looks like another $15 saved on a worthless SDCC exclusive for me again. I'm just praying the Joe and TF exclusives will be carp from the movies, so I don't have to stand in hasbrotoyshop.com's insane line to get them.

Old Fossil
04-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Looks good! I won't mind getting a different X-Wing Luke, especially since it comes with that ladder!

DarkArtist
04-19-2009, 05:29 PM
hoping they sell this on HTS. definately want one.

Mara Jade's Father
04-19-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm a little confused why this ladder comes with a Luke figure. This is not the built in ladder that a pilot uses to climb into the cockpit. This is a ladder that the ground crew uses to service the aircraft (seen in ANH to load in R2).

You can see what I mean here:
http://www.roadsquadron.com/Reference/ANH/Xwing/LukeXW_01Yavin.jpg

If they want to push th ladder, they should at least package it with a ground crew member. I guess they have a bunch of ugly Luke heads they need to get rid of.

DarkJedi5
04-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm a little confused why this ladder comes with a Luke figure. This is not the built in ladder that a pilot uses to climb into the cockpit. This is a ladder that the ground crew uses to service the aircraft (seen in ANH to load in R2).

You can see what I mean here:
http://www.roadsquadron.com/Reference/ANH/Xwing/LukeXW_01Yavin.jpg

If they want to push th ladder, they should at least package it with a ground crew member. I guess they have a bunch of ugly Luke heads they need to get rid of.

That's a good point. Which ladder does Luke exit the X-Wing with after blowing up the Death Star? The figure is supposed to be from that scene and so I wonder if maybe he didn't use a yellow ladder to get out? But they do have both ladders handy the upcoming Red 2 will have both according to this picture:

http://jediinsider.net/g/index.php?mode=view&album=Hasbro%2FLegacy_Collection%2FRed_2_X-Wing&pic=B4533.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Eh, whichever ladder it is, it looks good and I'm going to get it.

Mara Jade's Father
04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Well that is a good point about the scene selection because in that case it is true...
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/star-wars/images/5577480

But I hope it helps alleviate the need by others who feel they have to get a ladder for each X-Wing they have because it is not the actual X-Wing ladder (the red one that unfolds from the side).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2009, 11:58 PM
If we really want to get scene-specific, then he shouldn't have the gloves. Oh, well.

figrin bran
04-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Looks like another $15 saved on a worthless SDCC exclusive for me again. I'm just praying the Joe and TF exclusives will be carp from the movies, so I don't have to stand in hasbrotoyshop.com's insane line to get them.

I don't know what the Joe exclusives will be but two of the TF ones will be GI Soundwave reissue with 3 cassettes, one of which is Ratbat. The other one thus far is a metallic repaint Optimus Prime Mighty Mugg.

DarkJedi5
04-20-2009, 02:12 AM
If we really want to get scene-specific, then he shouldn't have the gloves. Oh, well.

Yeah but then that needs new arm sculpts too and Hasbro's too cheep/lazy. I' getting one, no question. I'd buy more for extra ladders but I don't want extras of that figure. Hasbro said they would look to include the ladders but we'll see.

sebillba
04-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I'd buy more for extra ladders but I don't want extras of that figure. Hasbro said they would look to include the ladders but we'll see.

Depending how much these are, I wouldn't mind getting the figure, but don't need the ladder, so we might be able to work something out. ;)

El Chuxter
04-20-2009, 09:33 AM
So a rather nice but way overpriced Luke with a ladder, and a reissue of figures I have? God, I hope they don't do something like Tomax and Xamot in their suits for Joe, because it's really looking like I can avoid their fiasco of a booth altogether.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
So a rather nice but way overpriced Luke with a ladder, and a reissue of figures I have? God, I hope they don't do something like Tomax and Xamot in their suits for Joe, because it's really looking like I can avoid their fiasco of a booth altogether.
They've been putting the SW exclusives online for several years now; are they doing the same for the other lines?

Beast
04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
They've been putting the SW exclusives online for several years now; are they doing the same for the other lines?
Yeah, but Joe sells out almost immediatly. Since they don't make many.

Hopefully the Marvel Universe exclusives stick around a while, like the ML ones did.

Mara Jade's Father
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
SDCC exclusive figure...

Ellen Degeneres as Luke Skywalker. :p

At least Hasbro is getting a little better with their X-Wing figures. Their biggest problem in the past has been the use of poor reference material. One was the Magic of the Myth exhibt. They used a brown/tan belt fron the ANH ground crew (later one was used forthe Bossk costume) on the display.

The other major poor reference source is the pre-production ANH still of Luke in X-wing gear. Here is a list of problems with that image when compared to actual movie costume (you can see an exaple of these photos in the SW Visual Dictionary).

1. boots are incorrect. He appears to be wearing riding boots (taller and slim fitting). These may be the same boots he wore in the awards ceremony. The real boots in the appear to be a type of old style tanker boot (small buckle on top, also used with the TIE pilot)... not those commonly found jack boots.

2. The suit's system readout display on sleeve (not safe passage documents as listed on the Vis Dic) has shifted and is about halfway out of the windowed pocket. It is placed completely in to the windowed pocket for the movie.

3. The hose is not connected to the suit. It is reported that the hose was suppose to be connected to a breathing mask that affixed to the helmet. However, the mask never made final design and they simply attached it to the suit. This was removed and stitched up for ESB when they wore jackets and simply stuck the end in a leg pocket. For ROTJ, it looks like they tucked/attached it to the chest box strap under the arm. You can see the stitched hole in good detailed images of the suit in the MoM exhibt.

4. The vest is reversed (lower adjust buckle in front and ridge gap in upper section is in back ) to the way it is worn in the movie (lower adjust buckle in back and ridge gap in upper section is in front ). The only other time it is worn as in this image is in ESB. And for some reason in ESB, Luke has hooks added to the upper chest area.

5. This is nitpicking. From what I've gathered from the movies, the belt strap should be worn so the buckle is front center, not of toward the side.

Hasbro really needs to actually watch the movie for real costume details. I also have to wonder if their are meetings where they sit around a table and laugh about the exclusives. "let's take a figue and mold it in translute blue and call it a hologram version... let's paint it black and call it a shadow version... Let's chrome it and call it Collectors Edition... Let's charge double because completist collecter will have to buy it.

El Chuxter
04-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah, JJL, IIRC, both versions of the suited Cobra Commander and the Combat Heroes Snake Eyes sold out lightning fast. Except for the AFA graded versions. :rolleyes:

dindae
04-20-2009, 11:14 AM
No desire for the figure but I will pick it up for the ladder. It is cheaper than buying another X-wing for $50. Hopefully they will work in the other ladder someday.

Beast
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah, JJL, IIRC, both versions of the suited Cobra Commander and the Combat Heroes Snake Eyes sold out lightning fast. Except for the AFA graded versions. :rolleyes:
The Combat Heroes Snake Eyes was up for a few days I think.

Either way, they usually don't have many left of the Joe items for the website.

Tycho
04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Why is Luke smiling like Leia's bikini just fell off - while she was on Hoth?

I never bought one of those larger (actual scale) X-wings because they'd mess up the scale I've established for the ship with my squadron of '79 mold x-wings - of which I have at least 5 or more.

mtriv73
04-20-2009, 01:53 PM
This was the head sculpt that was supposed to come with the WM exclusive 2 packs last year. Lucas nixed it for some reason but enough people asked for it in the Q&A (don't ask me why) that they decided to give it another shot. I remember a Q&A answer where they said they would look for another venue to bring smilie Luke back. (Maybe JT can back me up on this, he seems to know every answer to every question they've ever answered.)

Snowtrooper
04-20-2009, 01:54 PM
The ladder is the only thing I want. If I can find this on sale or clearance somewhere, I'll get it. If not, then no big loss.

TheDarthVader
04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
okay...i want it. the question is this: who is going to buy one for me and ship it to me? just pm me! i want one!

DarkJedi5
04-20-2009, 08:52 PM
It'll be available online, just like always. Don't sweat it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Wait, Beast, did you take this picture yourself? I haven't seen it anywhere else, aside from sites linking back here.

JediTricks
04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
This was the head sculpt that was supposed to come with the WM exclusive 2 packs last year. Lucas nixed it for some reason but enough people asked for it in the Q&A (don't ask me why) that they decided to give it another shot. I remember a Q&A answer where they said they would look for another venue to bring smilie Luke back. (Maybe JT can back me up on this, he seems to know every answer to every question they've ever answered.)I actually only found 2 references:

Aug 18, '08:
GalacticHunter.com: Seriously, no joking here, how much fan noise do we have to make to get the "smiley faced" Luke Skywalker that was originally set for the Hasbro/Wal*Mart Droid Factory 2-packs? Some of us thought it was a refreshing change of pace in all honesty. We'd happily mail away for it!
Hasbro: Interesting note on that, Adam. We will take that into consideration.

June 6:
Yakface.com: Dear Hasbro, there are pics of the new Droid Factory figures floating about and I noticed that Luke's face is now a "must less expressive" version - essentially a straight repack / redeco of the Vintage X-Wlng Pilot sculpt.
Can you confirm or deny that we are in fact getting this version versus the "smiley" Luke shown in the Droid Factory initial solicitation imagery?
Also Luke is shown having the wrong Lightsaber accessories will this common factory error be addressed.
Hasbro: The smiley version was removed at Lucasfilm's request and changed back to the vintage version. The lightsabers are the same as the Vintage release, including, unfortunately, the same lack of black paint deco on the emitter on the lit version (the factory took our earlier reference and ran with it for this one, and we missed it). The unlit hilt is great though.
Still a creepy art on the card tho'.

El Chuxter
04-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Hmm.... Despite their constant insistence that it's off-limits, won't this be the third Holiday Special figure? :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Hmm.... Despite their constant insistence that it's off-limits, won't this be the third Holiday Special figure? :)
Only if they painted on the makeup to make him look like a pretty, pretty girl.

And what's with that old response about the black paint on his lightsaber? The ignited one is fine; it's the unlit one that is wrong.

Mara Jade's Father
04-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Only if they painted on the makeup to make him look like a pretty, pretty girl.

...uh, that's exactly what they did. This is just a god aweful figure. And as long as people are willing to pay $15 for a figure just to get a recast of a $0.25 accessory, Hasbro is keep going to do it.

I'd rather see a new Wedge, Biggs, Red leader, etc... head swap rather than this ugly thing that they are trying to get their money's worth for an unused head sculpt.

I say we rally collectors not to buy it and force them to clearance them on Hasbro.com and shop.starwars.com website. Maybe low sales will get a message throught that if they want to do $15 exclusives, they need to offer us something worth $15.

El Chuxter
04-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Luke never smiled like an idiot in the movie, and he looks rather feminine in the card art. That's all I'm saying. :)

DarkJedi5
04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I say we rally collectors not to buy it and force them to clearance them on Hasbro.com and shop.starwars.com website. Maybe low sales will get a message throught that if they want to do $15 exclusives, they need to offer us something worth $15.

That's a very dangerous game to play. With Hasbro claiming that the TLC sales are going in the toilet now is not the time to try and tank exclusives. I get the feeling that it might not send the right message and we'll be looking at a whole bunch of kid targeted figures instead of the pilots you named. I'm not saying we should buy this figure in droves but I am seriously considering getting two of these and swapping out the heads for a Wedge from the current Borsk comic pack and a TAC Tosche Station Biggs. I've got good helmets for both of those guys from previous releases but I'd really like to have an SA version and since they seem to be using that body for every rebel pilot anyway, why not?

Mara Jade's Father
04-21-2009, 10:15 PM
That's a very dangerous game to play. With Hasbro claiming that the TLC sales are going in the toilet now is not the time to try and tank exclusives. I get the feeling that it might not send the right message...

I do not think paying high cost for poorly made figures and making yourself Hasbro's b***h sends the right message. For figures to do well they also need to attact fans of all ages. Kids and many parents will not plunk down $8 for a figure of a character that was seen for a few seconds (or less) in a movie. It's one thing to offer one or two in a wave but more and more, they are saturating waves with such figures. Those type of peg warmers would do better as a limited exclusive directed to collectors than a poorly sculpted head sculpt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Hasbro. I like many of their items. I am pleasantly surprised by the varied EU characters they offer in the comic packs and many other cool items like the clone helmet and the saber (and soon to come blaster) kit.

My son and I love the Galactic Heroes and we are both sadden by the ending of the titanium and unleashed line. I believe the rise in cost over the last few years ended the lines.

DarkJedi5
04-22-2009, 12:21 AM
I do not think paying high cost for poorly made figures and making yourself Hasbro's b***h sends the right message. For figures to do well they also need to attact fans of all ages. Kids and many parents will not plunk down $8 for a figure of a character that was seen for a few seconds (or less) in a movie. It's one thing to offer one or two in a wave but more and more, they are saturating waves with such figures. Those type of peg warmers would do better as a limited exclusive directed to collectors than a poorly sculpted head sculpt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Hasbro. I like many of their items. I am pleasantly surprised by the varied EU characters they offer in the comic packs and many other cool items like the clone helmet and the saber (and soon to come blaster) kit.

My son and I love the Galactic Heroes and we are both sadden by the ending of the titanium and unleashed line. I believe the rise in cost over the last few years ended the lines.

By all means, if you don't like it don't buy it. But if there were an organized attempt to snuff out an exclusive then your suggestion of taking those Yarnas and ICMG figures that people want (I'm nit sure who these people are though) and making them exclusives probably wouldn't find much traction. Sure, I'm speculating but if an exclusive version of a Luke Skywalker figure couldn't move, how much faith would they have in making a background character as an exclusive?

Like I said, I don't love this figure, it's not super that's for sure. But I've got a use for it and I assume that other collectors may feel the same. Sucks to pay $15 for a ladder but it's better than paying $50 for that ladder and another ladder that will be coming with the Red 2 X-Wing.

plasticfetish
04-22-2009, 04:35 AM
That's a very dangerous game to play. With Hasbro claiming that the TLC sales are going in the toilet now is not the time to try and tank exclusives.I have no problem playing that game. If they're having problems, it's because they decided to beat us like a piņata in this time of "economic challenges" by raising prices, and ignoring an obvious consumer trend toward becoming decidedly more value conscious.

And I'm almost glad that I'm missing SDCC again this year. That's a silly looking figure. God, if they carded just the bright yellow diving board ladder it'd probably sell. I'm not sure why they didn't. Maybe if the ladder had its own Wookieepedia entry. :rolleyes:

The fact that they didn't do something new from The Clone Wars as an exclusive shows a real lack of class on Hasbro's part. It's just stupid. They have a perfectly good opportunity to toss out a teaser for the next season, and a good way for Lucas to market the show. What are they promoting with this? That they can sculpt up a fair version of Tweek from South Park as an X-wing pilot?

Lame.

Mara Jade's Father
04-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Sure, I'm speculating but if an exclusive version of a Luke Skywalker figure couldn't move, how much faith would they have in making a background character as an exclusive?

I have faith because at least those peg warmers are constructed well. The exclusives are aimed at collectors, the same type of people who usually ask Hasbro for these lesser known figures, not the everyday kid going down the toy lane of Walmart or Target.

Honestly, if Hasbro really wants to help themselves, they should also do some "Answer Hasbro's" like the do "Ask Hasbro". They need to ask fans why a figure or wave did poorly instead of assuming buyers lost interest.

Like I said, I don't love this figure, it's not super that's for sure. But I've got a use for it and I assume that other collectors may feel the same. Sucks to pay $15 for a ladder but it's better than paying $50 for that ladder and another ladder that will be coming with the Red 2 X-Wing.

If hasbro wants to do an exclusive for SDCC and do it with already made items, why not do a Yavin Hangar Accessory pack? both ladders and the little ground transport (like the one coming out in the Battle Pack). Or, at least a well made figure like a blown up R2 with ladder, and maybe a suction cup droid lifter.

But I also agree with plastic fetish. The Clone Wars seem to be very popular.
among young and old. I see more of those figures vanishing from the toy departments (so hasbro should know based on that people still want figures) How about a Saga style figure version (aka.. not animated style) of Rex or Cody.

Basically, there are better ideas for an exclusive than pushing ugly made figures and trying to make us say to Hasbro, "Here's more money than it's worth and is this when I should bend over and grab my ankles?"

mtriv73
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I think we've already rebelled with the Crucible set and the Tie fighter with rebel markings and that's a good thing. Hopefully they'll listen. Unfortunately, they got the idea for this figure from Q&A. A few vocal people seem to have screwed it up for a majority of you. Although I'm actually looking forward to this figure, I can tell I'm in the minority. Hopefully Hasbro will put something into effect to let us vote on potential exclusives rather than us just letting them tank by not supporting them.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
They could do exclusives for characters like Teek, Jaxxon, Ackmena, Wilrow Hood, etc--characters who would appeal to a small group, but not necessarily everyone.

Instead, Wilrow will clog pegs like a mofo next year, and we'll never get the others.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-22-2009, 01:47 PM
They could do exclusives for characters like Teek, Jaxxon, Ackmena, Wilrow Hood, etc--characters who would appeal to a small group, but not necessarily everyone.

Instead, Wilrow will clog pegs like a mofo next year, and we'll never get the others.
We were never gonna get those others anyway. :p

I really do hope that they release only small numbers of Willrow Hood. I'm really not worried about nearly as much as I am the new Malakili, though.

El Chuxter
04-22-2009, 01:55 PM
I know we're never going to get them. Exclusives at geek conventions frequented by scalpers would be the only way, instead of "Smiling Luke" or "Stormtrooper With A Logo On His Arm" or "Holographic Death Star Gunner."

Malakili is definitely a scary proposition. Especially if it's true the Rancor is an online-only toy.

TheRealDubya
04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Love it -- very nice set.

Mara Jade's Father
04-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Well at least SW figure collectors won't be totally disappointed, they are also offering the Unleashed Stormtrooper Commander that was only offered as a limited Game Stop give-away.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hasbroTDF&Number=3702855&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=3

It's a nice looking figure and is not something that Hasbro has to put more expense into developing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm glad I got mine for free last September. Damn, that new card art is ugly as hell. It's just so boring.

Mara Jade's Father
04-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm glad I got mine for free last September. Damn, that new card art is ugly as hell. It's just so boring.

I'm pretty sure my garbage man doesn't care what card back it is, he's going to haul it off just the same.:yes:

Getting back to the "In-the-closet (aka smiley) Luke figure. I just read that the upcoming ESB Luke in hospital robe is a perfect head swap for the VOTC Luke X-wing style figure and the helmet would fit over it as well. It's a really nice head sculpt and and it would make a nice looking Luke X-wing figure. :thumbsup:

Then you could but the smiling head on the bare chested body.. add a collar and straps around the torso and you got an out-of-the-closet Luke :whip:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty sure my garbage man doesn't care what card back it is, he's going to haul it off just the same.:yes:

Getting back to the "In-the-closet (aka smiley) Luke figure. I just read that the upcoming ESB Luke in hospital robe is a perfect head swap for the VOTC Luke X-wing style figure and the helmet would fit over it as well. It's a really nice head sculpt and and it would make a nice looking Luke X-wing figure. :thumbsup:

Then you could but the smiling head on the bare chested body.. add a collar and straps around the torso and you got an out-of-the-closet Luke :whip:
You should recycle this stuff, given how often I assume you buy figures. But that's a whole different story . . .

The ESB Luke uses the same body as the VOTC ANH one, meaning it's puny. So yeah, I guess you could make an ESB pilot Luke, but he usually always wore the puffy jacket while flying in that film. (Come to think of it, did he just stop off in a bathroom to change into his Bespin fatigues after getting to Cloud City? I guess so.) Perhaps a ROTJ pilot, then? (Again with that . . . was it really necessary to wear the suit while going from Tatooine to Dagobah? He just changed right back into his other clothes. Did he wear the pilot gear while going to meet the Rebel fleet?)

Mad Slanted Powers
04-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I am actually glad that these convention exclusive figures are often nothing essential I need. That way I don't have to worry about not being able to get one. When they made the Concept Luke an exclusive, I did manage to get one, but I wanted to get two of all the concept figures so that I could keep one carded. I was lucky to get the one I did. Meanwhile, many of the other exclusives they have done have been available for quite some time afterwards. Having an exclusive figure that everyone actually wanted would just invite scalpers to buy them all up to sell them at outrageous prices.

pbarnard
04-23-2009, 03:18 PM
But everyone wants a ladder!!!

I mean, life is incomplete without Luke on a ladder.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
MSP, you have a PM.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-23-2009, 03:39 PM
But everyone wants a ladder!!!

I mean, life is incomplete without Luke on a ladder.

Yes, a ladder would be cool, so it's possible I'll get this if it is available. The ladder might show up elsewhere if I don't get this figure or that upcoming X-Wing.

Mara Jade's Father
04-23-2009, 04:50 PM
sorry, double post.

Mara Jade's Father
04-23-2009, 04:55 PM
...(Again with that . . . was it really necessary to wear the suit while going from Tatooine to Dagobah? He just changed right back into his other clothes. Did he wear the pilot gear while going to meet the Rebel fleet?)

In ESB, he wore his fatigues under his flightsuit (you can see this when he zips up in medical when they are evacuating. I think it is safe to assume in ROTJ, he is wearing his black jedi suit underneath. I think we also have to believe the flight suit is more than just cotton overalls. They talk about Porkins ejecting in ANH. Which means the suit can protect the wearing from the exposure of space. Somehow the helmet and/or chestbox automatically forms a mask to protect the pilot. EU items like Video games and Novels have pilots out in space away from the cockpit. In ANH, there was suppose to be a mask developed that was suppose to go at the end of the chest box hose. There are pictures of the prototype floating around but from what I heard, they did not have time to produce them. This is why the pre-production stills do not have the hose connected to the suit, simply tucked into the helmet. The connection of the other end to the suit was a last minute decision.

Also, I never said the head swap would make a good ESB pilot... just a good looking figure. Not only does he wear his flight jacket all the time but he also wears his extreme weather gloves and boots. You could call the head swap figure a pre/post ESB days. Maybe a Shadow of the Empire Pilot Luke.

JediTricks
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
And what's with that old response about the black paint on his lightsaber? The ignited one is fine; it's the unlit one that is wrong.Yeah, Hasbro is still wrong to this day about that saber.

Luke never smiled like an idiot in the movie, and he looks rather feminine in the card art. That's all I'm saying. :)He is smiling big when coming down the ladder after defeating the Death Star, but it doesn't look this stupid.

The fact that they didn't do something new from The Clone Wars as an exclusive shows a real lack of class on Hasbro's part. It's just stupid. They have a perfectly good opportunity to toss out a teaser for the next season, and a good way for Lucas to market the show. What are they promoting with this? That they can sculpt up a fair version of Tweek from South Park as an X-wing pilot?

Lame.
I don't think that's fair. Clone Wars has been stated to be a kid-focused line time and time again, an exclusive at Comic-Con is specifically focused on collectors.

Honestly, if Hasbro really wants to help themselves, they should also do some "Answer Hasbro's" like the do "Ask Hasbro". They need to ask fans why a figure or wave did poorly instead of assuming buyers lost interest.If they went to the collectors like that, they'd just be asking for trouble and proving they didn't know what they were doing. It's unwise to let the market make that many demands by request, the market wants everything handed to them on a silver platter, and they want the platter, and it should come with free money. Collectors have a lot of theories as to why something didn't work, but not much understanding as to the realities of the market, just the empirical data they see and chat up, and no belief that kids and casual collectors are the driving force in the line (or were, until they found Clone Wars to be a more enticing SW purchase).

Plus, and this ties in to something in my next response below, collectors are fickle and short-sighted. They would loudly doom something cool like the McQuarrie Stormtrooper for months in advance without ever experiencing it, then hoard it when it comes out and years later when it gets re-released they gobble it up.

I think we've already rebelled with the Crucible set and the Tie fighter with rebel markings and that's a good thing. Hopefully they'll listen. Unfortunately, they got the idea for this figure from Q&A. A few vocal people seem to have screwed it up for a majority of you. Although I'm actually looking forward to this figure, I can tell I'm in the minority. Hopefully Hasbro will put something into effect to let us vote on potential exclusives rather than us just letting them tank by not supporting them.The issue with those sets should be market forces, not complaints. At the end of the day, sales justify everything to TPTB, so there's no need for a "rebellion" on them, if we don't like 'em, we as individuals should make the choice not to buy them.

Most collector items are driven by the minority, it's not surprising in the least that some folks won't want them. Some folks won't want Yarna, some folks won't want Ep 2 Obi-Wan, some folks won't want ROTJ Luke Death Star II (those people are wrong, btw). The reality is that we have a rich and diverse fan base, and some folks aren't going to like everything. An exclusive should appeal to the audience it is intended for though, and on this one, I am not so sure that a canceled, unpopular, odd sculpt will generate enough interest to warrant the pricetag.

Of course, fans have been known to change their minds on something they claimed they knew they were gonna hate, like the McQuarrie Stormtrooper. Only a very small number of us defended that figure when the sculpt was first revealed, and it was a battle to find it once it came out because all the haters turned the opposite way and fell in love with it.

Something like that would never, ever, EVER happen because the small run wouldn't justify the huge amount of new, expensive tooling required for it, and even if they did try it, the product would be sold in such low numbers that it would double or even triple the pricetag, which would further lower the sales numbers. It's totally unrealistic.

In ESB, he wore his fatigues under his flightsuit (you can see this when he zips up in medical when they are evacuating.I think all you can see is the ribbed undershirt Luke is later seen in training on Dagobah. I recreated this with my 12" Hasbro Luke X-wing and Bespin figs (on the latter, they made the undershirt into a body-suit despite it not even being tucked in on Dagobah, I had an extra from a damaged figure so I swapped it to the X-wing Luke). Luke's gray digs on Bespin are actually the same pattern as the ESB orange suit though, minus the outer jacket and orange color.