PDA

View Full Version : Custom Titanium Modern Basestar

Darth Duranium
04-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Well, I couldn't resist... bought this for $30 from a Canadian gaming miniatures guy based out of San Jose, CA. It came this way, already hand painted... I just couldn't go on without it.:lipsrsealed:

Gotta say that I just love it... Hasbro really ripped us off by not doing one. Some issues with the paint (would have loved Hasbro's aztec-ing) but the casting itself (solid metal) is great. It's quite heavy and looks about 25% bigger than the Hasbro one did in the pics. It came with a tall stand and it sits very well... I'm stoked 'bout it.:love: Can ya tell?

As a Ninja throwing star, it'd be frackin' deadly... I wonder if that had anything to do with Hasbro's cancellation of it, or not.

Next up, I'm (slowly) building a Colonial Landram - I'm kitbashing a SWAT van and a bulldozer, among others... but it'll probably get finished next Winter at this rate.:whip: Never resist the Cones of Summer.

Blue2th
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Wow!
I could definitely see some possibilities with that mold. Like you said though the paint, but with some skill and a magnifying glass.

clone157
04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
That positively rocks. I'm sooo jealous.:(

JediTricks
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Well, I couldn't resist... bought this for $30 from a Canadian gaming miniatures guy based out of San Jose, CA. It came this way, already hand painted... I just couldn't go on without it.:lipsrsealed:

Gotta say that I just love it... Hasbro really ripped us off by not doing one. Some issues with the paint (would have loved Hasbro's aztec-ing) but the casting itself (solid metal) is great. It's quite heavy and looks about 25% bigger than the Hasbro one did in the pics. It came with a tall stand and it sits very well... I'm stoked 'bout it.:love: Can ya tell?

As a Ninja throwing star, it'd be frackin' deadly... I wonder if that had anything to do with Hasbro's cancellation of it, or not.

Next up, I'm (slowly) building a Colonial Landram - I'm kitbashing a SWAT van and a bulldozer, among others... but it'll probably get finished next Winter at this rate.:whip: Never resist the Cones of Summer.Nice get, dang that thing looks cool!

Hasbro didn't cancel theirs, the mold was all ready to go but the wave got postponed and then "lost in the shuffle".

Nightside
04-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Jealous....

I've been waiting for another of those to appear on eBay. Can you order direct from this guy?

Darth Duranium
04-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks, guys!:thumbsup:

I'm gonna repaint my Basestar (when I finally get around to it)... gotta go to the gunmetal grey/silver paint scheme. Painting the Raider slots and windows is going to be challenging, if not impossible....

I've been waiting for another of those to appear on eBay. Can you order direct from this guy?

Yeah, they don't come up very often on eBay, Night... I guess he's trying to avoid Universal Entanglements by keeping numbers down. Or maybe he just doesn't make many of 'em... but I did get mine from eBay.

The Basestar came with a note from the seller who said he was going to email me his list of BSG stuff... but he hasn't so far.

I just sent him an email and I asked about direct sales and the prices for non-painted pieces too. I told him that others were interested in 'em.

So I'll let you know what he says...

Darth Duranium
05-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Call me pernickity but I think his work is slipping...

Darth Duranium
05-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Would you believe...

Darth Duranium
05-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Aiiiight... here's the real deal. The Basestar dude sent me more pics of mostly unpainted ships, as requested. They're all between $25 and $40 but I'm not sure about individual pricing due to vagueness in his email. Probably due to living on the West Coast.:)

There's a picture that I found online that I think is him (first pic below).:D

Wow... massive improvement without paint, IMO. Some of these ships are quite excellent with good detailing, methinks.

Older painted ship pics here:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=40458

I'm negotiating for 2 more ships right now, but I'd even buy a couple more if I was awash in dosh. But I ain't.:(

I've asked him again if I can post his addy or send it on to anyone. I expect I'll know the answer tomorrow.

Darth Duranium
05-17-2009, 11:22 PM
More pics here:

Darth Duranium
05-17-2009, 11:26 PM
We can't do this all day - Vince from ShamPow!

Darth Duranium
05-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Are you following me, Camera Guy?

Last pic and Zoic's render. He does a pretty decent Battlestar Valkyrie.

Update: I just got the Valkyrie and the Command Basestar.

He doesn't want me to post his email address so you'll have to PM me if you want it.

Night, I PM'd you.

clone157
05-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Dude, that looks like a prop from Pineapple Express 2!

Darth Duranium
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Dude, that looks like a prop from Pineapple Express 2!

I'm afraid to ask...:)

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Agreed, there's definitely more "handmade" on that image.

Aiiiight... here's the real deal. The Basestar dude sent me more pics of mostly unpainted ships, as requested. They're all between $25 and $40 but I'm not sure about individual pricing due to vagueness in his email. Probably due to living on the West Coast.:)

There's a picture that I found online that I think is him (first pic below).:D

Wow... massive improvement without paint, IMO. Some of these ships are quite excellent with good detailing, methinks.

Older painted ship pics here:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=40458

I'm negotiating for 2 more ships right now, but I'd even buy a couple more if I was awash in dosh. But I ain't.:(

I've asked him again if I can post his addy or send it on to anyone. I expect I'll know the answer tomorrow.I have to take umbrage at the west coast crack, that's why Los Angeles keeps growing and everywhere else is where everybody was "from". :p

Those are big improvements without paint, but it seems like the finished details will get lost with ANY paint.

Judging by the other pics you posted, I'd say he's sculpting too fine for the casting system he's using to copy them, the fine details are in there but shallow enough that they won't hold up to any paint. This is one of the toughest parts about moldmaking.

Darth Duranium
05-24-2009, 06:09 AM
When I lived on the West Coast I often felt that people seemed a little closer to Outer Space than those back East.:yes: They seem a little happier overall, too IMO.:)

I think they'll paint up just fine with thinly-sprayed flat primer... but there's really only one way to find out for sure.

My painted Basestar still has quite a bit of detail... it's hard to see in pics.

JediTricks
05-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Death Valley is on the west coast, it's the furthest point from outer space in the US. Then again, not far from there is Mt. Whitney, the tallest mountain in the continental US, so it's technically the closest.

If you use primer, it better be mega-thin, like barely a whisper, or it's going to fill those details right over.

Nightside
05-31-2009, 07:19 AM
I just got an unpainted Basestar from this guy and I love it. :D It definitely fills the gap left by Hasbro. I'm going to paint the stand black, but leave the Basestar itself unpainted. The raw metal looks pretty good as is (at least for now).

Darth Duranium
06-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I just got an unpainted Basestar from this guy and I love it. :D It definitely fills the gap left by Hasbro. I'm going to paint the stand black, but leave the Basestar itself unpainted. The raw metal looks pretty good as is (at least for now).

Nice... the guy's pretty cool, huh?

I'd love to see your basestar, just to see how it looks bare. Post a pic, Night?

Nightside
06-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd love to see your basestar, just to see how it looks bare. Post a pic, Night?

My wife's out of town with the camera. When she gets back, I'll try to post a pic.

I painted the stand black yesterday and it really makes the basestar pop. I'm definitely going to leave the ship unpainted.

I found this site yesterday - Ravenstar Studios (http://ravenstarstudios.com). There are quite a few Trek and BSG models for sale. I purchased a Battlestar Valkyrie from him today (he's charging less than the basestar guy and they seem to be the same mold).

Darth Duranium
06-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Cool. I wish someone would do a Heavy Raider and then I'd be satisfied.

Nightside
06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Cool. I wish someone would do a Heavy Raider and then I'd be satisfied.

Heavy Raider! So say we all!

Sorry for the low quality pics. I took them with the web cam. I really do love the pewter basestar. :love:

Darth Duranium
06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Looks great, Night. I'm gonna give my pre-painted one a 2-tone metallic grey coat of paint, but I'll keep most of the paint on the hub.

Thanks for the pics!

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Dang, that looks tremendously nice.

Darth Duranium
07-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Finally got around to repainting my Basestar... went for a textured flat metallic grey. I was going to add more detailing but I was so happy with the results I'm gonna leave it alone.:thumbsup: Pic of the original paintjob above...

Some other customs, too... still working on the "Command Basestar"... I think it's more like a Cylon colony or station. Debating how "tall" to make it along the spindle... I'm thinking it should be shorter to match the modern Basestars. What do youzes think?

The Battlestar Valkyrie's been sanded and painted matte grey since that pic... but you get the idea. It is in scale with the modern Galactica. I'll post a finished pic... if/when I get around to finishing it. It even came with tiny Colonial Seal stickers...:pleased:

Blue2th
07-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Nice! :thumbsup: looks like that's all you need really.

Ever use like a transparent black wash? It might enhance the sculpting details more on that Command Basestar, without taking away the metallic effect.

Did you get that one from the same guy or make it yourself?

Darth Duranium
07-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks, Blue... I've fallen in love with that Basestar all over again.:love:

I've messed around with dirty washes before with very limited results, I'm afraid. Any advice as to what products/methods to use? I'd like to do that to my Colonial Shuttle, too.

The Valkyrie and the Basestars came from the same dude... I can send you his email, if you want it. The mining ship's available on eBay...

Blue2th
07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I think you can get a transparent black at the hobby store like the kind the military model makers who want weathering, but I'm thinking the low tech way that doesn't get paint build up with ink. You can use washable ink, then spray with a matte fixative if you want it permanent, or use permanent ink and done deal if you're confident.
Found this: http://www.northbendeng.com/Clinics/Washes/CLWashesTx.htm

I've heard of guys using sharp colored pencils for weathering on military aircraft etc. like silver for paint peeling aluminum, or black colored for exaust stains, then spraying with a matte fixative. That might work for super fine stuff too under a magnifying glass. Seems like it would be a lot more controllable than a paint brush for fine lines.

It's been a while since I've built a model though.

I can't afford any BaseStars just yet with trying to complete my small scale Star Trek situation and all, but thanks.

Darth Duranium
07-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the very useful info, Blue... think I'll try the permanent ink method using that dude's technique.

Yeah, I'm pretty rusty with the models, too... been a long time since I was a kid (age-wise, anyway).:D

Nightside
07-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Great stuff, DT.

I gave my Valkyrie some paint, too. The molded details didn't get covered over by the paint, so I'm happy about that. I attempted to added small panels of a lighter shade of grey (like on the Pegasus), but it didn't end up looking like I wanted so I washed over it with a diluted version of the base color. Some of the panels are still faintly visible in person (but not in the pic). I also painted the engine ports light blue (like the Galactica, also not shown in the pic). I still want to give the ship some more detail, just haven't decided exactly how to do it.

Looking forward to seeing your finished Valkyrie, DT.

Darth Duranium
07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Great stuff, DT.

I gave my Valkyrie some paint, too. The molded details didn't get covered over by the paint, so I'm happy about that. I attempted to added small panels of a lighter shade of grey (like on the Pegasus), but it didn't end up looking like I wanted so I washed over it with a diluted version of the base color. Some of the panels are still faintly visible in person (but not in the pic). I also painted the engine ports light blue (like the Galactica, also not shown in the pic). I still want to give the ship some more detail, just haven't decided exactly how to do it.

Looking forward to seeing your finished Valkyrie, DT.

Thanks, Night... looks like you're much further along with your painting than me.
Looks great!

You finished your mining ship... I do like the orange paint segments on the top but I didn't do that to mine... I went with the crispier look from the last episode. Actually, I think there's more than 1 mining ship anyway...

Interestingly, you've got one of the SDCC Galacticas that has a flat grey wash over the engines... seen a few of those... mine doesn't have the wash.

Since that pic, I sanded the Valkyrie down a bit and gave it a very light coat of matte grey... still needs a bit more work around the engine "intakes" but it's a pretty good mould.

I was planning on using red decals for the markings and I'll likely add blue to the exhausts. I want to paint the landing bays, too.

I think I'll keep the Val's paint fairly simple... gonna try to detail the grey with a diluted black ink/alcohol wash and leave it at that. The pics from the show seem to show a pretty uniform metallic look, unlike the ZOIC render.

I will post pics when I'm done... hope you do too, Night.:thumbsup:

Nightside
09-29-2009, 09:52 AM
This is for the BSG Titanium fans. After much delay, I finally received my BSG civilian fleet pack with 18 ships (see pic below). They're small but the detail is quite good on most, and they're scaled pretty nicely with the Titanium Galactica.

clone157
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Those look awesome! Where are they from?

Nightside
09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Where are they from?

clone157, I sent you a PM with the details and will do the same for anyone else who is interested. I didn't have the greatest experience with this particular seller so I'm not wholeheartedly endorsing the place. But the ships are nice...

Darth Duranium
09-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the info and pic, Night! Great stuff!:thumbsup:

Nightside
10-01-2009, 09:15 AM
I couldn't wait to start painting the new ships. I started with one of my favorites, the mining ship. I went with the grey/orange scheme from the Zoic render but gave it a more worn look (these ships got beat to hell and back after all, especially after "The Passage"). Pics aren't the greatest (my camera's not so great for taking pics of tiny stuff).

The stand is made of a nail in sculpey which was then baked. The nail head attaches to the ship by means of a very small magnet stuck on the underside of the ship (didn't know how else to make a stand without permanently gluing it on or trying to drill a really tiny whole and risk snapping the ship). The magnetic attachment isn't super strong, but it seems to be working well enough for display purposes and I think I'll do the same for the rest of the fleet.

Working on Colonial Movers, Astral Queen and the refinery ship next...

clone157
10-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Have you thought about something similar with excess stands, i.e. stands from your mark II's or Raptors?

Nightside
10-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Have you thought about something similar with excess stands, i.e. stands from your mark II's or Raptors?

Excess stands? No such thing. Each of my stands is in use displaying its respective ship. Plus, most of the fleet ships are so small I think they'd look kinda odd on a Titanium stand.

Darth Duranium
10-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks again, Night. I picked up the 2 Agro ships and Cloud 9... hope they turn up sometime this century!:D

Looking forward to seeing your painted Rag-tag Fleet in action soon! It'll make for an amazing diorama.
Your second mining ship can be the "Monarch". And agreed, the TS stands will be too big for most of the Fleet, apart from the big'uns.

Not looking forward to having to paint mine! It'll be pretty challenging, to say the least. Almost finished my Valkyrie... I'm probably gonna paint the engine fronts silver to match the onscreen look. How does yours look with blue fronts?

BTW, came across a great Heavy Raider render. Very Giger.

Nightside
10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks again, Night. I picked up the 2 Agro ships and Cloud 9... hope they turn up sometime this century!:D

Not looking forward to having to paint mine! It'll be pretty challenging, to say the least. Almost finished my Valkyrie... I'm probably gonna paint the engine fronts silver to match the onscreen look. How does yours look with blue fronts?

Looking forward to seeing what you do with those agro ships, DH. I've been pondering the best way to paint those domes so they look like glass.

As for the blue fronts, do you mean the engine "glow"?

Darth Duranium
10-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh, ok Night... I thought you meant you painted the front part of the engines (see pic) blue. You must have been talking about the exhausts. I painted the exhausts blue, too... but I'm also painting the front parts (intakes?) silver like in the pic. The ortho renders don't show them as silver but they look silver on the show.

It's gonna be a nightmare to detail the agro ships' pods and the biosphere on Cloud 9! I was thinking of trying to use a fine mesh material to wrap around the domes but I'm not sure what will work! Suggestions are very welcome!

Maybe some painted contact lenses to use as glass domes?:D

Val Da Car
10-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I feel dumb since I just found this thread. Once Hasbro dumped the Basestar I was so furious I sold all of my BSG titaniums.

These look great guys...

Darth Duranium
10-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I feel dumb since I just found this thread. Once Hasbro dumped the Basestar I was so furious I sold all of my BSG titaniums.

These look great guys...

I was furious, too! I must have posted at least 20 rants about it!:D

I guess you could buy the BSG TS ships back but I'd think you'd end up with a massive crater in your wallet, where the cash used to be. I hope you got a good price for them!

Darth Duranium
12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Here's a few shots of the Rescue Raptors from The Plan. If I can find another Titanium Raptor, I'm gonna try it as a custom.

Besides the Basestar, the Valkyrie-type Battlestar showed up, too. Looked amazing, IMO.

Darth Windu
12-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Looks good DH! Pity the licence ended and Hasbro weren't able to make those into Titaniums as well. :(

Darth Duranium
12-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Interestingly, it wasn't a Valkyrie-type ship, it was the Valkyrie itself... slightly clearer in the pic below.:D

The Plan had some beautiful shots of Basestars... they looked particularly cool in atmospheric flight mode, too.

Agreed, if only Hasbro had done a Heavy Raider, Basestar, and Valkyrie. Maybe a Colonial Atmospheric Shuttle, too. http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Atmospheric_shuttle

I'm still looking for a Heavy Raider garage kit... never seen one in TS scale.

Darth Duranium
12-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Just came across an official 1/32 model of the Viper Mk II at BBTS... I'm gonna probably grab it as a companion to my Joyride Viper Mk I's and the Diamond Select Mk VII I got last year as a Christmas prezzie.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MOE10026&mode=retail&picture=in

Does anybody know if a 1/32 Viper Mk II will be in the same approximate scale (roughly AF size) as the other 4 in the second pic?

Nightside
12-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Here's a few shots of the Rescue Raptors from The Plan. If I can find another Titanium Raptor, I'm gonna try it as a custom.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw them, DH.

By the way, what did you think of "The Plan"? I was unimpressed and a bit disappointed. I thought "Razor" was much more interesting (and "Caprica" for that matter).

Darth Duranium
12-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I thought the first 15 minutes of the Plan were unbelievably excellent, and the rest was a slow backstory view of the show for the fans. I thought it lacked focus and an ending but I still enjoyed getting more of the Cylon motivations into the story. I imagine that casual fans would have found it incomprehensibly obtuse.
Razor was a much better show, IMHO... but I'm not so excited about Caprica... too Buffy for me so far. Did you like Caprica?

Nightside
12-09-2009, 08:16 AM
but I'm not so excited about Caprica... too Buffy for me so far. Did you like Caprica?

I liked the pilot, but I'm waiting to see what sort of plotlines develop in the actual series. The only thing I didn't care for in the pilot was the very forced notion of what "Cylon" means. Cybernetic Life Form Node... puh-lease. :rolleyes:

Darth Duranium
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
What I loved about BSG was the mystery of not knowing who or what was pulling the strings... both the Plan and Caprica seem to demystify, like midi-chlorians instead of The Force.

But I'll hang in there for a few episodes... sure hope it's less talky in future shows. I hope they get into the 1st Cylon War. Could be cool.

I'm starting to get more curious about the Bryan Singer BSG feature project, though I'd love to see a few more BSG 2003 shows. Olmos has a script about the BSG characters on (our) Earth, apparently.

Darth Duranium
02-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Came across this on eBay... probably recast from the game version.

Nightside
03-12-2010, 10:49 PM
A new (or rather an old) model of Viper made an appearance on tonight's episode of Caprica. Can't find any screencaps yet. Looked cool though. More fighter jet-like. I guess it'd be a Mk I?

Darth Duranium
03-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah Night, I just saw that early Viper too... reminded me a lot of the Stealthstar from BSG. I'll pull a few screenshots off Caprica later this week.

I was hoping that something consequential was gonna occur on the show this time... it's been a bit of a talky slog so far. I like the acting and production values, but the plot seems unfocused and mostly lacking in suspense. A bit Buffy-esque, too.:ninja:

But we're still hanging in there... it's not like there's anything better on TV these days. :)

BTW, did you end up painting those resin BSG ships? I'm still (slowly) working on other projects... including a Rescue Raptor.

Nightside
03-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Caprica has been a very talky show, but they did say all along that it was going to be a departure from BSG. I am enjoying it. It's my only appointment television at the moment.

Definitely want to see your rescue raptor when you finish. If I ever come across another raptor dirt-cheap, I'd like to try the same thing. As for my rag-tag fleet, I've got several ships in various phases of paint, but nothing more completed. My Astral Queen is basically finished, but I can't figure out how to do all the fine red paintwork, especially the red line on the saucer section, given that it needs to look symmetrical. I tried paint, I tried fine-tipped markers, but didn't like any of the results. The ship is just so small and my hands are not.

Darth Windu
03-18-2010, 02:57 AM
On a semi-related note, I just watched the final episodes of BSG. Very sad I thought with what happens with the crew of Galactica, and the Adama men.

Having said that a very interesting finale, bit of tongue-in-cheek there.

Now to watch The Plan. :)

Darth Duranium
03-18-2010, 04:26 PM
The last episode was quite good... not sure what you'll make of The Plan, DW. I thought the first 15 minutes of The Plan was dynamite but then it slumped a bit.

Night, I'll post some pics of the Raptor once it's done. Can't bring myself to attempt my Cloud 9 or the others yet... I agree, they're miniscule! Maybe you could use red decals (from a model) instead of paint (etc.) for your Astral Queen.

Darth Duranium
03-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Here's some screencaps of the "Viper" (Mark 1 or whatever it's called) from Caprica. Looks like an atmospheric craft to me but who knows? Nice, huh?

Darth Duranium
03-21-2010, 06:08 PM
The rest... kinda reminds me of a P-51 Mustang mixed with a Hawker Harrier and an F-18...

Blue2th
03-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah like a P-51, with a P-40 sorta mixed in withe top scoop and nose cannons.
The similarity ends there, the rest is like a modern Navy jet only stubby and reverse wings.

Quirky but I like it.

Looks like a mid air collision is that what happened?

Darth Duranium
03-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah Blue, it was an honest-to-goodness action scene (rare for Caprica) set in the Matrix... er, a Colonial holoband simulation. Our Cylon heroine crashed her "Viper" into her buddy's which caused her plane to go down in flames.

Great work from Drex and the guys, as usual. Hope we see more stuff like that in the future. I'm still missing BSG... can you tell?

Blue2th
03-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I miss BSG too. I only watched it on a herky jerky webcast, so when I do get to buy season 4 on DVD, it'll at least be kinda fresh for me even though I know how the story ends.

Cool outfit Drexfiles. I guess Doug Drexler is into aviation and got to ride on an old B-17 Flying Fortress.
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/

clone157
03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I want to see BSG:the prequel. Something on the first Cylon War. Caprica is a little too far back in the timeline. Not sure if I would like to see the exploits of Husker Adama, though.

Darth Duranium
04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I'd be totally ok with Tales Of The Husker... the first Cylon war has gotta be more interesting than rehashing the Matrix and Buffy. I loved that scene in Razor when we saw the Battlestar Columbia exploding and the crew were screaming in terror over the radio .... so chillingly effective, IMO.

Finally got around to finishing off my custom Rescue Raptor from "BSG: The Plan". Didn't have much in the way of reference shots (all 3 posted above) but there was just enough to give it a go. This time, I decided to skip a colour wash and keep the paint light.

Comments welcome, as always. :pleased:

Next up, a screen-accurate white Viper Mk VII!

Blue2th
04-15-2010, 07:46 AM
An ambulance Raptor no? Looks cool, you masked it and sprayed it right? Don't see any brush strokes. Not going with an ink wash?

I haven't seen The Plan yet.

On another note I think it's related. Ronald Moore wants to return to Star Trek:http://www.scifisquad.com/2010/04/13/battlestar-boss-ron-moore-wants-to-return-to-star-trek/

Nightside
04-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Finally got around to finishing off my custom Rescue Raptor from "BSG: The Plan"....

Looks frakkin' fantastic DH! Very crisp, very nice [drooling...]

Next up, a screen-accurate white Viper Mk VII!

Speaking of not much reference material... What are you gonna use for the white Mk VII as you can only see bits of it from odd angles for seconds...?

Darth Duranium
04-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks Blue! I'm just starting to learn how to use my airbrush (unlike you, Master Jedi!), so there's very few actual brush strokes on it... just a few teeny touch-ups where the red paint snuck under the tape.

A few weeks ago I made another Rescue Raptor for a friend and I did add an ink wash. I found that it darkened the paint a little too much (changed the red tones, too), but that probably has more to do with my Padawan-level skills than anything else. Bad pic below. I gotta say that I prefer it clean... how about you?

Thanks a frakkin' lot, Night! Appreciate it! Looks surprisingly sharp on the shelf with the other 2 so I'm quite happy with it.

I think that there's just barely enough ref photos to do a white Viper. You can make out where the red stripes go on from almost all the angles, if you really stare at 'em for a while...:D