PDA

View Full Version : Bobafrett and his 2009 Relay for life cancer walk

bobafrett
04-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Dear Family and Friends,

The "hopeful" side of cancer has never been more hopeful, thanks in large part to advances in cancer prevention, detection and treatment. But fighting cancer still takes a tremendous emotional toll on patients and their families. And the financial stakes are huge, even for those who have insurance.

None of us has to look far to see the effects of cancer. Some of us only have to look in the mirror. I lost my mom in May of 2005 to cancer, since then my friend Mike Crawford lost his battle in his early 40's, Katie Johnson, the young daughter of the 501st legion of Stormtroopers founder Albin, sucummed to the disease as well as my wifes Uncle Jim. It is hard losing loved ones to this disease.

I know the economy is rough this year, many folks find themselves out of work, or having to make hard choices, and I understand this having to tighten my budget to keep my family afloat in these rough seas. I just ask that you make a small donation of $5 or $10 to help me reach my goal this year. Thank You!

Iíve decided to Fight Back by joining a Relay For Life team and have pledged to raise $1,100.00 for the American Cancer Society. I hope you'll consider joining me in this fight by making a contribution to my Relay team. You can do so by clicking the link to my Relay web site at the bottom of this page. (go to bottom and click on the link)
Or if you choose, you can make a check or money order out to the "American Cancer Society" and PM me for my mailing address.

Also you can print out a form on the web page that looks like this:
To print an offline donation form, click here.
and you can print that form and mail your donation directly to the address on the form be sure to let me know if you do, so I can enter your name on my American Cancer Society webpage! be sure you mail it with the form so my team gets credit for their hard work in raising these much needed funds.

On February 3rd, 2009 as you all know, I helped Josh who was in need of a kidney. Over the past three years I was tested to make sure that I was healthy enough to be able to donate a kidney this included being checked for prostrate and colon cancer. I was lucky and got a clean bill of health. Being a living donor is something that I am proud of, and makes me more determined to hit my fund raising goal, and go beyond that. Doing the 2009 Relay for Life, is fun, and I will continue to do so each year until a cure is found.

The American Cancer Society is well known for its research investments. Virtually every major cancer breakthrough of the last 60 years can be traced to Society funding. What you may not know is that the American Cancer Society also provides cancer patients and their families access to reliable information and free resources for day-to-day help and emotional support to complement what their doctors and medical facilities provide.

And thank you from me, too!
God Bless you!

P.S. Please feel free to forward this message to any others who may want to join the fight! Every dollar raised makes such a difference in helping cancer patients.

Link to my page below:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09IL?px=3678017&pg=personal&fr_id=15092

Barry

bobafrett
05-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Bump Only about a month until this event.

Slicker
05-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Carp! I meant to donate. You say there's a month left? Bump this at the beginning of the month and I'll be sure to send some money. :thumbsup:

bobafrett
05-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Not a problem sir!

Slicker
06-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Bump this back up. I made my donation and he's only $100 from his goal so open them damn wallets!

TeeEye7
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Please don't let Barry down!

Although I would have like to have sent more, he's just that much closer to his goal!

InsaneJediGirl
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Bump this back up. I made my donation and he's only $100 from his goal so open them damn wallets!

Done and done sir.....a little violent with that request though.:whip:

Slicker
06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I realize it was a bit stern but maybe it'll get people to donate! :thumbsup:

bobafrett
06-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I realize it was a bit stern but maybe it'll get people to donate! :thumbsup:

Thank you gentlemen, and ladies, well, I mean lady!

Thank you. now I will update my sig line! I also updated my goal, since I was closing in on my goal of $1,100.00, if I hit a grand, I get a nifty, really nice polo shirt! (see picture)

bobafrett
06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
It's almost Friday, which might be payday for some. Throw a fin (that's $5.00, right?) in, help a worthy cause!

I'm at $925.07 so far! $74.93 more, and I'll hit over a Grand for the American Cancer Society!

bobafrett
06-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Well folks, we are getting down to just about two weeks before this event, I'm at $1,150.07. Still about $149.93 away from my goal of $1,300.00. I also have a Lego ARC fighter that I bought for $30.00, I think it retailed for around $120.00, that I'm going to sell at the silent auction at the event this year. In the past, I have sold my extra figures (as a group) and raised a decent amount. But I'd like to hit my goal without depending on the sale of that item. Thank you!

bobafrett
06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I hit my goal of $1,300.00!!!!! I'm at $1,307.07, and I am still taking donations. Just two weeks until I'll be out walking the track with my team "Imperial Walkers".

Please take a moment, and help get me closer to $2,000.00. Thank You!

Rocketboy
06-12-2009, 05:45 PM
And now you're $10 father ahead (for right now).
I hope to give some more before the event.

bobafrett
06-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Thank you Rocketboy, it means a lot, everyone here, who hardly know me, giving to this worthwhile cause. $1317.07 and counting!!!!!! I :love: you all!

bobafrett
06-14-2009, 11:21 PM
A video for you to enjoy! It's me giving a brief tour of my place, then showing you how to make a donation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiBDUe3YGpw

bobafrett
06-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Up to $1,382.07! Keep the dream alive, or something like that.

bobafrett
06-18-2009, 11:06 AM
It's gotten a little stagnet, no updates for 3 days. Did you see the instructional video just a couple of posts up? ^

bobafrett
06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Alright, a little update. I'm at $1,482.07 almost to my new goal of $1,500.00.

If you want to make a donation, hit the first post in this thread.

If you want to watch a silly video, go to post 15 of this thread.

bobafrett
06-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Okay Kids, this wraps up this week! I need anyone who has been telling themselves that they are going to donate to do so as soon as possible. I drive down to Normal, Illinois Friday Morning. The event kicks off at around noon Friday Junes 26th, and runs through noon on Saturday June 27th..

Link to my page:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09IL?px=3678017&pg=personal&fr_id=15092

Go there, click on "Donate" fill out your information, you can choose to make it "Anonymous" or put your name with your SSG name as a couple of people here have done. It's a $5.00 minimum donation through the site, or you can PM me to get my address to mail a check or money order made out to "American Cancer Society".

There is also the option on that page "To print an offline donation form, click here." which you can mail the check along with the printed page to the address listed on the Offline Donation Form!

Ideally, I'd love to hit $2,000.00 raised, but realistcally if I hit $1,600.00 I'd also be very pleased.

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely, Barry aka Bobafrett

Pictures from last years event.

bobafrett
06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Okay, I'm up to $1,532.07 and still accepting donations!

Give a little bit, give a little bit of your love to me!

bobafrett
06-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Okay, I leave for my walk in about 14 hours, I have a 2 hour and 14 minute drive from here down to Normal, Illinois.

Also, I have blisters on my right foot. It was from wearing my sandals, which irratated a callus on my foot. To keep this from getting fluid inderneath, such as a blister, I taped a non stick pad to my foot, and the tape, after I removed it, started blisters along the top of my foot, near my big toe. I've been able to walk on my feet, but I don't know how much walking I'll be doing at the Relay. I might just sell temporary tattoos at the campsite.

Oh, yes, and this is a last call for donations b4 I leave! I won't be back until later Saturday!

bobafrett
05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
June 25th and 26th, I will be once again doing my "Relay for Life" cancer walk. Several fine people, fellow forumites, have made donations to this worthwhile cause in the past. I deeply appreciate those who have, but can uinderstand and respect if you are unable to. I myself have limited funds this year, as after my surgery in February 2009, I decided to cut the amount of hours I was working, in order to improve my health, and be able to spend more time with my family. It has been tough, but I feel better health wise, and with my son going into the Navy next month, I'm able to spend more time with him before he leaves. Here is the link, and Thank you in advance, and thank you to those of you whom I've already recieved donations from!

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/BarryTK523

They also have an area that I can blog on at the bottom of the page.

TeeEye7
05-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Even though I took a pay cut last year, I doubled my donation to Frett this year. I figure I can do without some of my "comforts and incidentals" for a while to help out. I've had my turn with the nasty "C-word" in the past and know first hand how important this is.

Please help Barry if you can! :thumbsup:

Darth Jax
05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
frett, you're a little closer to your goal now.

after all you've done to help others, it would be selfish of myself not to help out in some small way.

bobafrett
05-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I thank you gentlemen, you guys truely rock, and you make those blisters on my feet worth the effort. In just about two weeks it will be 5 years since my mom passed away from cancer. I can only hope that by getting fine folks like you to donate, that the money will help researchers find a cure. Thank You!

Rocketboy
05-15-2010, 12:05 AM
I got you letter in the mail the other day.
I'll see what I can do to toss you a few credits before the walk.

bobafrett
05-17-2010, 08:38 AM
I got you letter in the mail the other day.
I'll see what I can do to toss you a few credits before the walk.

Thank you sir!

This week, my plan of action was to work today, come home tonight and put pictures together from previous walks, turn in my letter of intent, requesting to be able to stand in front of Wal-Mart to collect money for my "Relay" walk on Wednesday, however, when I went into work this morning, I found that I was scheduled off today and tomorrow, and working Wednesday. My next two segments of time off I will be busy with my step daughters graduation, and seeing my son off as he starts life in the US Navy.

Slicker
05-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I just made my donation. Sorry for the lateness...

... and seeing my son off as he starts life in the US Navy.
If either you or your son need any help or information please don't hesitate to PM me or email me at slicker1138(at)yahoo(dot)com

bobafrett
05-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Well right now, he is underweight by 5 pounds, and his recruiter said he could get a waver because he has attended a lot of his DEP meetings, but when he went to put in his waver, they found that his BMI was a bit to low. He may not make it, he has only a week and a half to put on the weight.

Thank you for your donation!

Slicker
05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Well right now, he is underweight by 5 pounds, and his recruiter said he could get a waver because he has attended a lot of his DEP meetings, but when he went to put in his waver, they found that his BMI was a bit to low. He may not make it, he has only a week and a half to put on the weight.

Put him on a KFC Double Down diet and he'll make it. ;)

bobafrett
05-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Put him on a KFC Double Down diet and he'll make it. ;)

Well it wouldn't be from working to hard burning those calories, he sit's in his bed all day, and plays on his laptop. :yes:

Slicker
05-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Well it wouldn't be from working to hard burning those calories, he sit's in his bed all day, and plays on his laptop. :yes:You should take him to the gym!

I can't advocate it since I just started going again this week...but, if you're still going, you should show him how it's done.

InsaneJediGirl
06-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Even though I took a pay cut last year, I doubled my donation to Frett this year. I figure I can do without some of my "comforts and incidentals" for a while to help out. I've had my turn with the nasty "C-word" in the past and know first hand how important this is.

Please help Barry if you can! :thumbsup:

I was only able to give $5 more than I did last year(broken over two donations) but every bit helps out.

Hopefully Barry will reach his goal! Very close.

TeeEye7
06-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I was only able to give $5 more than I did last year(broken over two donations) but every bit helps out.

Hopefully Barry will reach his goal! Very close.

Absolutely! Every little bit does help! Well done, IJG! :thumbsup:

I was able to give a little more due to some overtime I worked.

bobafrett
06-05-2010, 03:52 PM
And I thank everyone who has kicked in! I was able to talk to my manager at Wal-Mart, and found out how relatively easy it was for me to be able to stand out in front of Wal-Mart to get donations. I first had to write a letter to my personal manager stating who I was collecting for, and what date I would like to collect. Once she got the letter, and verified that the date was not being used for another fundraiser, I had to sign a form that gave me permission to solicit(sp?). My wife and I had this past Wednesday off, so I put on my armor had a small table with photos from past Relay events, and my wife was there to watch the money container in the event of a photo opt, so that thieves might not get the open chance to grab and run with the donations. In 6 hours we collected $261.29 which we split down the middle, except for $40 which was given by employees who donate every year. My store manager wants me to come back and do it again! Here is what I looked like!

bobafrett
06-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I should clarify, my wife is also on my Team the "Imperial Walkers", so her half was donated and she is around $111.00 in donations, I am closing in on $1,200.00 with $1,500.00 being my goal!

Darth Jax
06-05-2010, 05:07 PM
the armor fitting better this year than the last couple?

InsaneJediGirl
06-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Absolutely! Every little bit does help! Well done, IJG! :thumbsup:

I was able to give a little more due to some overtime I worked.

Same to you Sir:thumbsup: Especially working that overtime.

Barry, way to go :) I thought it was very admirable of you to give up a day off and rally for Relay for Life. I figured the solicit policy at Wal-Mart was pretty lax, considering all these kids in this area standing outside trying to raise funds for their baseball team....and there are a million better causes then some kids baseball team...geez...you wont even make it pro

:D

bobafrett
06-06-2010, 06:21 PM
the armor fitting better this year than the last couple?

Yes, I feel more comforatable in it now. I still have to lose about 30 pounds to be back to what I was when I first put my armor together, but I didn't have to use a tie wrap to keep my leg armor together

Same to you Sir:thumbsup: Especially working that overtime.

Barry, way to go :) I thought it was very admirable of you to give up a day off and rally for Relay for Life. I figured the solicit policy at Wal-Mart was pretty lax, considering all these kids in this area standing outside trying to raise funds for their baseball team....and there are a million better causes then some kids baseball team...geez...you wont even make it pro

:D

Thank you, I honestly had a blast doing it, and my store manager wants me to return.!

bobafrett
06-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey, This past Wednesday, my wife and I returned to the Wal-Mart where I work, and in 6 1/2 hours we raised $180.63! I split the amount with my wife and all of it went to the American Cancer Society, Here are a couple of pictures from the fundraiser.

Several people asked if I was Iron Man!

TeeEye7
06-11-2010, 04:09 AM
Remember: You can get more with a smile and a blaster, than with just a smile! :D

bobafrett
06-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Remember: You can get more with a smile and a blaster, than with just a smile! :D
A nice set of shiney white armor doesn't hurt either! You wouldn't believe How many women came up and donated because I looked like I was hot in my costume, no not that kind of hot, I mean temperature wise. lol

Slicker
06-12-2010, 04:07 AM
You can get even MORE with a big set of boobies...and not the birds...

TeeEye7
06-12-2010, 04:29 AM
You can get even MORE with a big set of boobies...and not the birds...

....unless you're a guy, Slick.....

Why am I reminded of Kramer at this moment?

bobafrett
06-17-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm a little over a week away from this, and about $92.00 short of my goal. Anybody else here that can make a donation?

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/BarryTK523

Above link should take you there!

bobafrett
06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Just putting out a last second request for donations. Link is in post #45 (right above). I'm a little over $1,700.00 in donations for this years event. I could use a few more donations to round it up to a nice even $2,000!!!!! (Okay, I would like to see it at that, but in reality, this is my best Relay of the 6 I have been to.)

Tomorrow is the day I head to Normal, Illinois to walk, and remember.

bobafrett
06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
I nearly hit my goal of $2,000.00! Well my actual goal was $1,500.00 but I surpassed that by raising $1,962.26!!!!!!! My team, the Imperial Walkers, raised a total of $6,623.40!! I was the top fund raiser for our team by $3.02. Wehad a girl on the team, who had seen us at previous relays, and lived right down the block from our team captain. She is currently joining the ranks of the 501st legion with her biker scout costume. She had never been second on her other team, but she fell just short of my total.

There must have been a few last minute checks mailed, because when I left for the event Friday morning, I was a little over $1,700.00. If it was anyone from here, I thank you! I would also like to thank those who donated through the Relay website. The names have been recognized in my signature line. Now for the pictures!

bobafrett
06-28-2010, 07:02 PM
We took a rest around 2 am. I set my alarm (cellphone) for 4 am so I could do the sports themed lap. As I made my way toward the track, I heard a lady talking about an approaching thunderstorm. I debated on if I should go back and alert the team. I decided to walk the track instead. Somewhere into the third lap, I see my wife approaching, and she tells me they woke everyone up and told them to break down the camp, as there was a severe thunderstorm approaching. We started taking down the tents, and the winds started blowing. We got most of the camp broke down, and the rain started. I stuck it out, and we waited inside the school for the storm to pass. I'm glad we didm however the lack of sleep almost wreaked havoc on the the trip home , as I could feel myself drifting off to sleep at the wheel.

bobafrett
06-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Before I forget, here is a link too the news story about the event, it's about 2 minutes long, but you'll see my team in their marching the track.

http://centralillinoisproud.com/fulltext?nxd_id=123385&watch=1

bobafrett
06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Here are a few more pictures from the event! The second one is me (in armor) at the silent auction tent. Third picture is of the team. fourth picture, me in my pajamas for the pajama spirit lap. 5th, me walking at 4 am for the sports spirit lap.

Rocketboy
06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
You're a Blackhawks fan?

Givemebackmydamnmoney!

bobafrett
06-29-2010, 06:07 PM
You're a Blackhawks fan?

Givemebackmydamnmoney!

Sorry, it's gone and the money is going to a great cause!

bobafrett
07-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Well, I thought I had posted the results here, but I guess not. Well, as of the end of the Relay, I had raised $1,962.26 and I'm pretty sure with some donations that were made after the Relay, I may have reached over $2,000 in donations. My team reached over $6,600.00 in donations, which helped us reach the Gold level!

However, the reason I came here to post tonight, was earlier this evening we found out that my father-in-law passed away. He was 72, and until just a couple weeks ago, they didn't know what was wrong with him, they did some tests, but didn't know why he was losing so much weight. Well, we found out that he had cancer in his bones. He went into hospice care just a couple days ago. I was glad we went to see him last month, and we were there on his 72nd birthday. Next year, I will have another luminaria bag lit for another person lost to cancer.

bobafrett
07-15-2010, 08:46 PM
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h260/bobafrettTK523/2010%20Relay%20for%20Life/

Sorry, link to my photo album for the relay above.

TeeEye7
04-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Donation for 2011 just made, sir!

SSGers: please don't let Barry down! :)

Kudos to Slick!:thumbsup:

bobafrett
04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Donation for 2011 just made, sir!

SSGers: please don't let Barry down! :)

Kudos to Slick!:thumbsup:

Thank you TeeEye, I tried to find this thread the other day, but couldn't get past the first page of search results. Oh, and I have to add your name to my 2011 signature line!
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11IL?px=3678017&pg=personal&fr_id=30554
Above is the link to my "Relay for Life" webpage. Both Slicker and TeeEye have made a donation this year, THANK YOU!!!!! :thumbsup: :D :pleased: :yes: :classic:
I know the economy is tough, gas prices are getting close to an all time high, but if you have a few extra bucks, looking for a place to donate them to, The American Cancer Society could sure use them! Thank you in advance!

Slicker
04-18-2011, 10:32 PM
It's my pleasure once again. I'm strapped for cash like everyone else but not so bad that I can't give a few dollars.

TeeEye7
04-19-2011, 03:59 AM
It's my pleasure once again. I'm strapped for cash like everyone else but not so bad that I can't give a few dollars.

Ditto. Money is tighter than ever. But the question is, can we not fight cancer? We need to keep on this worthy cause.

Darth Jax
05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
haven't really bothered to visit SSG in months but i've made my contribution for Frett.

bobafrett
05-26-2011, 08:58 PM
haven't really bothered to visit SSG in months but i've made my contribution for Frett.

Yes Sir, I got it! Thank you ever so much! As of this moment, I am at $1,273.74 in donations with a nice slice of that coming from a few individuals here at SSG. Thank all of you!

I can totally understand if money is tight, and you can't donate this year. Last year I was able to make a $200 donation, this year, not so much.