PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Palpatine [BAD] - wave 6

JEDIpartner
05-01-2009, 11:35 AM
All right... we were all pretty much thinking this was going to be a total stinker of a release. I am pleased to report that it is NOT the case!

Most of this lazy release is based off of the Evolutions Palpatine that was released a couple years ago. This was a rather smart decision as that body sculpt was quite good.

The part that has changed is the hood, which is now moulded plastic, rather than a cloth one from Evolutions version. It is SO much better than the odd shrimpy "hood" from the prototype pics that were posted early on. The (stolen) picture I posted here has the final version, but it's not sitting squarely on the head. When it is sitting squarely on the head/shoulders, it looks GREAT!!

The paint apps on this figure's head are rather dramatic. They range from grey to green with a little black. It looks genuinely creepy. While I wish that there was a bit less green on this figure's skin, it is probably the best Emperor Palpatine figure released since the POTF2 line. I really find it to be that good.

Because this figure is based off the Evolutions Palpatine, the hands are removable and the "lightning hands" from the earlier release can be used with it.

The figure comes with a cane and a lightsaber.

I give this one a solid A. It's shocking, I know!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
So how do you like the new head? (You know it's the monkey-faced version, right?)

JediTricks
05-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Monkey eyes, not monkey face. That's the paint though, the head is more or less still the person they've been basing the Evo version on (which doesn't look like McDiarmid at all to me, but also not OLME).

JEDIpartner
05-03-2009, 03:20 PM
The head sculpt is pretty good, actually.

JediTricks
05-03-2009, 03:22 PM
That's cool. Does it look like a specific actor, or is it more just "conveying the idea"? All the photos I have seen suggest the latter. I like that it doesn't have a crazy expression.

JEDIpartner
05-04-2009, 08:12 AM
That's cool. Does it look like a specific actor, or is it more just "conveying the idea"? All the photos I have seen suggest the latter. I like that it doesn't have a crazy expression.

It's a little bit of both, actually. It looks a bit like Ian's Emperor... but also just is what you'd expect the Emperor to look like. For the record, my friend Bruce got this figure over the weekend and called to say how much he liked it and that it's probably his favourite one out of the wave.

Old Fossil
05-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, that's encouraging! I may actually be able to retire my old POTF2 Emperor at long last.

Jayspawn
05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm still on the lookout for this version. I'm sold on the monkey eyes look of the figure.

jonthejedi
05-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Found this guy yesterday(finally) at WalMart. Def. looks better in person. One had more pronounced "green" deco on forehead than the other.