PDA

View Full Version : The "When Pigs Fly" Flu...

JEDIpartner
05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Only 'cos it has the genetic markers of swine flu, avian flu and human flu. I think that's a much better name for it. :o

mtriv73
05-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Only 'cos it has the genetic markers of swine flu, avian flu and human flu. I think that's a much better name for it. :o
That's really funny but it doesn't address the human element (unless I'm extraordinarily dense today and just missed it.)

I like swav man flu. It's sounds like something you'd catch from Lando or Han.

H1N1 sounds too much like an imperial astromech droid.

JEDIpartner
05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
The human element is the fact that humans coined that ridiculous phrase in the first place. :p

bigbarada
05-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I quit watching the news a couple of weeks ago, so I think I'm immune. :D

sith_killer_99
05-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Actually it's ManBirdPig, a distant cousin of ManBearPig. We have no pictures of ManBirdPig due to it's small size, but it is assumed that ManBirdPig looks similar to ManBearPig seen here...

sith_killer_99
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
This just in....

First ever image of ManBirdPig...

Blue2th
05-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Wonder if this has anything to do with the "human animal hybrids" our previous Prez was talking about?
Genetically engineered?

El Chuxter
05-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh, come on, SK99. You can't be cereal! :D

sith_killer_99
05-02-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm super super cereal you guys!

Excelsior!

Tycho
05-02-2009, 02:30 AM
That's so unfair to Al Gore! :mad:

sith_killer_99
05-02-2009, 02:38 PM
^:cry:

Tell it to Matt Stone and Trey Parker.:laugh::p;)

JEDIpartner
05-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Put your pants on and get lost. :o

pbarnard
05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Wonder if this has anything to do with the "human animal hybrids" our previous Prez was talking about?
Genetically engineered?

You mean like the countless drugs and other things done routinely in the labs today? I know I put at least 3 human transferin genes into a rat 2 years ago. Not so much lately.

sith_killer_99
05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Genetically engineered?

Funny, who would ever think that would be a problem, aside from PETA.

Wild Things :: The Ear Mouse

It might look like the work of a mad scientist but the Vacanti mouse with what appears to be a human ear growing on its back is the real deal. You won't find this mouse at the circus; it was created at the University of Massachusetts in 1997. Dr. Charles Vacanti developed the mouse by putting a mold resembling the shape of a human ear onto its back.

Ear Mouse - Why Do We Need Extra Ears?
Dr. Vacanti is helping researchers fine tune a technology that will let them re-grow ears and noses for people. It was a plastic surgeon who suggested growing ears on mice after seeing kids who were born with out ears or who'd had them torn off in accidents.

Ear Mouse - How Does It Work?
The 'ear' mold was made from special fibers that are biodegradable, much like dissolving stitches that doctors often use. Before the mold is implanted into the back of a hairless mouse, it is covered with cow cartilage cells. Blood from the mouse helps the cartilage cells grow and eventually replace the fibers. Researchers say that the rodent could have the ear removed and still remain alive and healthy.
http://www.kidzworld.com/article/1219-the-ear-mouse

But he wasn't talking about the ear mouse.

Washington - When US President George W. Bush called for a ban on creating human-animal hybrids, he not only raised awareness of a little known issue but also opened himself to a new round of ridicule.

Bush certainly got people to pay attention to this issue as internet traffic soared and an ingenuous online apparel store sought to capitalize on the interest.

While the term human-animal hybrid sounds like something from a science fiction or horror film, Bush, during his state of the union address Tuesday, was not talking about werewolves or centaurs - the mythical creatures that are half human and half wolf or horse.

Instead, he was advocating restrictions on scientists working with human and animal cells.

In fact, hybrids that result from combining the cells of different species are referred to as chimeras, another mythical creature that combined features of a lion, goat and snake.

In January 2005, National Geographic News reported that scientists 'have begun blurring the line between human and animal,' pointing to the fusion of human cells and rabbit eggs in China, or experiments putting human brain cells in mice.

But the issue was little known in the US before Bush's annual State of the Union speech before Congress Tuesday night.

'Tonight I ask you to pass legislation to prohibit the most egregious abuses of medical research: human cloning in all its forms, creating or implanting embryos for experiments, creating human-animal hybrids, and buying, selling, or patenting human embryos,' he told legislators.

The statement has provoked ridicule on the internet and on the popular television news spoof 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart' - testimony to how closely the American public follows the annual speech.

Technorati.com, a website that measures Internet traffic, listed 'human-animal hybrid' as its second most popular search term. On the day after the speech, more people searched for the phrase than in the previous year combined, according to the site.

Only hours after Bush concluded his remarks, an online apparel store had already designed a T-shirt showing a monkey wearing a tie.

'Help President Bush raise awareness about these terrible half- man/half beast creatures by wearing this T-shirt and exposing the horrible truth about human-animal hybrids,' the come-on pitch says.

Scientists hope that chimeras will help them find cures to diseases or even grow 'spare' parts for humans, but ethicists are viewing such experiments with skepticism.

Canada has already banned chimeras, according to National Geographic News, and Bush hopes the US will follow suit soon.

Nonetheless, human-animal hybrids have not been on the congressional agenda. The term has not been uttered on the floor of the House of Representatives or the Senate since the 109th Congress took office more than a year ago.
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/northamerica/article_1094282.php

Britain's first human-animal hybrid embryos have been created, forming a crucial first step, scientists believe, towards a supply of stem cells that could be used to investigate debilitating and so far untreatable conditions such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's and motor neurone disease.

Lyle Armstrong, who led the work, gained permission in January from the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) to create the embryos, known as "cytoplasmic hybrids".

His team at Newcastle University produced the embryos by inserting human DNA from a skin cell into a hollowed-out cow egg. An electric shock then induced the hybrid embryo to grow. The embryo, 99.9% human and 0.1% other animal, grew for three days, until it had 32 cells.

Eventually, scientists hope to grow such embryos for six days, and then extract stem cells from them. The researchers insisted the embryos would never be implanted into a woman and that the only reason they used cow eggs was due to the scarcity of human eggs.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/apr/02/medicalresearch.ethicsofscience

Some people just aren't as educated about such issues as George W. Bush was, but Canada already had a handle on it long before Bush called for legislation.:yes::laugh::p;):D