Clone Wars Y-Wing
Hyena Bomber
Punishing One
Malevolence
a new Republic Gunship tool
Mist Hunter
Nebulon B Frigate
the Outrider

SSG: With the unfortunate announcement of the Titanium Series line ending after 2009, fans want to know all about its now-limited future. How many new tools will we be getting between now and its end? When can we expect the last wave, and what will be in that wave? What happens to tooling and promises that were on the bubble for '09, like the Outrider which was promised and forgotten last year and then promised again for the end of '09, or the Gungan Sub which was tooled up and promised in 2000 but canceled? Using the term "hiatus" as you did, is there any hope for the brand's revival in the foreseeable future? As Titanium Series is the only outlet for the majority of Star Wars vehicle toys these days, will Hasbro be filling that void with an all-plastic form of Titaniums?
Hasbro: There should be nine all-new tools to look for from now until the end of the year, with numerous other repaints rounding out the line (these new tools all follow the latest that have hit shipped recently - BARC Speeder, Xizor's Ship, and IG-2000). The nine include: Hound's Tooth, Clone Wars Y-Wing, Hyena Bomber, Punishing One, Malevolence, a new Republic Gunship tool, Mist Hunter, Nebulon B Frigate, and the Outrider. Unfortunately, the Gungan Sub did not make the cut. We have a lot of heart for the series ourselves - it is amazing to reflect back on the 5-1/2 year run of this line and the incredible number of cool ships that were brought out. We are proud of it and feel it was a tremendous line, but we just couldn't keep it active any longer since the large development cost, the need for a lot of items to maintain retail productivity (an outcome of having a smaller but passionate fan base), and high cost of goods are all factors that could not be addressed for a healthy line. Aside from perhaps an improved cost of goods, an all-plastic vehicle line would not solve the problem either, since tooling costs are the same for plastic or metal, we would still need to introduce a ton of designs, and it would not necessarily attract a larger audience for Titanium. It's something we'll be exploring, though. It's important that we continue to work on ways to bring out the most exciting Star Wars vehicle lineup we can.

Blue2th
05-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Well that's it then. Nice of them to end the speculation. This "passionate" fan appreciates it.
I'm happy there's some good ones in there.
Looking forward to the Malevolence and Nebulon B capital ships. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping we get some good repaints and reissues of HTF ships in the line up too.

Darth Duranium
05-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Take me down to the Repaint City where the grass ain't green and the tools ain't pretty...

Not exactly surprised at the announcement... I'm slowly moving into DW's camp where I'm a bit annoyed at the way the line petered out... but I'm blaming LFL for most of the choices.

And why do a 10th Republic Gunship? WTF? There's gonna be a lot of repaints this autumn... I just hope there's no more repacks.:upset: Hasbro didn't give us much info about the waves, except for the new ships.

I am pleased with the Nebby and the Outrider(!)... about frickin' time! The Hyena is nice (small, though) and I'm ecstatic about the Malevolence. Surprised we didn't get a Freeco swoop but it'll be a cinch to make.

Sad that they'll be no Naboo Yacht, Acclamator, DS II, Coruscant speeders, Munificent or Home One... I'm not too bothered about the (wheeled) Gungan Sub not making it. By the end, we'll end up with about 85 unique TS tools so I guess we'll have to custom create the rest of 'em! Hmmmm..... a UT-AT would be very difficult.

I guess that when Hasbro confirmed the "E-Wing", they were talking about the V-19... this is probably my biggest disappointment, aside from the Naboo Yacht.

Darth Duranium
05-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Similar question from RS: (paraphrased here)

Rebelscum: Titanium Series. Can you comment on the demise of the line, and more speficially, when it will be ending? There's obviously a lot of vehicles to bring out in this line, and of those that were already announced (UT-AT, E-Wing, Gungan Sub), which ones will actually come out before the end?

Hasbro: It's ending due to diminished interest in the format compared to anything else in the Star Wars lineup. While it started strong - and Titanium in particular has had an AMAZING 5-1/2 year run - interest had waned since the original launch.

Titanium was more difficult to develop, was subject to pricing volatility given the metal component, and needed a significant amount of new tooling to keep it interesting. Because of the extremely high item count needed to sustain their sales, they were less important than the need to refocus our design team elsewhere on new initiatives.

Should have hired more designers...

LTBasker
05-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Does the Malevolence remind anyone else of the Disney Nautilus?

Darth Duranium
05-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Looks a little like the Nautilus from the horrible League of Extraordinary Gentlemen too, LT....

more info:

CollectionStation.com: With Titanium Series ending, the opportunities for re-releasing popular and hard-to-find tools is getting quite short. With that in mind, might you be able to shoehorn re-releases of some of those popular, hard-to-find pieces like the Droid Gunship, Mon Calamari Cruiser, Trade Federation Landing Craft, Rogue Shadow, and Hailfire Droid into the last few waves (perhaps through revision cases) to make sure collectors are as best served as possible, rather than letting the Titaniums' ending serve only scalpers?

Hasbro: The Hailfire and Droid Gunship will be coming back in the last wave, on shelf around Oct/Nov. Unfortunately, it is to late to add anything more to the Titanium lineup as we are well passed our window for adding to the packaging lineup.

Read 'em and weep... if you're missing any of 'em besides the DG and Hailfire, better get 'em soon. If I find any more I'll let youzes know...

Nightside
05-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Knowing now what the last 9 will be, I really wish we weren't getting all the bounty hunter ships. Those slots could be much better filled with things that actually appear on screen. And I agree with DT on the gunship. They've repainted the thing so many times, why do they now need a retooled version?

Now I'm trying to focus on all the great stuff we got instead of the stuff we'll never see.

Darth Windu
05-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm...moderately happy with the last nine new titaniums. Things like the Mist Hunter, Punishing one, Hyena Bomber, and Hounds Tooth I could live without but will probably buy anyway; others like the Nebulon and Ourider I'm a little more interested in; and definately interested in the new Gunship tool, Malevolence and Y-wing.

Still a sad end to Titnamium - definately glad I purchased those WOTC miniatures now.

Darth Duranium
05-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Continuing with the Death Of Titanium round-up report... nice to know everyone else is freaking out, too.:) Nicely written question.

JediInsider: Dear Hasbro, I imagine you will be receiving a flood of questions about the Titanium’s hiatus. I was surprised to read that it has been a struggling sub line almost from the start. I understand the need for multiple repaints to make tooling affordable, yet that creates a paradox in that people stop buying the third, fourth or more iteration of the same vehicle therefore cutting into the margin. With that in mind, is there any possibility of changing the fundamental property of Titanium’s and make them all plastic? It seems counter-intuitive at first, but it seems that more and more plastic is already being used in the newer tools, and you've stated in earlier Q & As about the fact that metal is a more difficult material to work with than plastic. Furthermore, it would seem that utilizing two different types of materials would increase the number of steps required in manufacturing. Would a shift to all plastic lower costs enough for the line to continue with fewer repaints and therefore more new ships for people to pick up? The "Titanium" name would not have to go away, as it is still symbolic of the standard of quality (silver, gold, titanium) of the product if not of its nature - it's not like they've ever been made of actual titanium to begin with. This line has been such a wonderful opportunity to get ships we would have and probably never will see in larger formats, such as the recent Tie Defender, Virago, IG 2000, and Z-95 to name only a few, and it's a real shame to read of its demise.

Hasbro: We appreciate the fan passion for ways to continue Titanium - the fact that a number of fans have written us with similar suggestions attests to the passion with which fans of the series have approached the news. We have had a lot of heart for the series too - and have kept it going for a long time because of the passion and the desire to see some of the exact vehicles you cite finally see the light of day. We look back on the Titanium Series as a tremendous success, if not in business terms, then in terms of the sheer number of amazing Star Wars vehicles we were able to fit into a 5-1/2 year run. The vast majority of toy lines can't claim to have runs that long, must less claim the variety that was eventually produced. It's exactly for these reasons that it was a very tough decision to shutter the line.
What you suggest is unlikely, for a couple reasons. First, the tools for plastic vs. metal vehicles cost the same to develop, since the two criteria that determine cost are size/amount of steel used and labor. Thus, moving to plastic would not change the underlying issues with the number of new tools needed to keep Titanium going. Second, to start a line like you suggest, it would need to be launched with an extraordinarily deep tooling lineup - a real commitment to the format, or the results will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It would literally be better to restart Titanium using a metal format and using the existing tools, rather than start and all-new one. Honestly, we don't know what can be done for a re-launch since the collector base by itself, as it exists, just isn't enough to keep the line going. Unless we found a way to engage kids in the format, or found a way to broaden out to more consumers, it will remain on hiatus.

Stick a fork in the Titanium Series... it's done. They're being quite clear about that.:cry:

Darth Windu
05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't say that. Sure it's done for the time being, but if Hasbro lets the line rest for a few years which should see both the CW CGI show still going plus the new SW live-action show, then we might have a chance of getting them back.

RJarvis
05-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Knowing now what the last 9 will be, I really wish we weren't getting all the bounty hunter ships. Those slots could be much better filled with things that actually appear on screen. And I agree with DT on the gunship. They've repainted the thing so many times, why do they now need a retooled version?

Now I'm trying to focus on all the great stuff we got instead of the stuff we'll never see.

we keep talking about the "last 9"...sort of reminds me of the "final 5" from Galactica :crazed:

regarding the retooled gunship, i can't help but wonder if the retool will be in line with the konami dropship-style gunship...it would really be cool if it were compatible with the AT-TE and could actually pick it up...would mean it would have to be pretty big, but you never know...

so here's to hoping hasbro will truly send this line out with a bang...a VERY big bang...

Ross

LTBasker
05-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Dunno, it'll probably a CW-style one as JT mentioned in the Q&A thread. It'd make the most sense.

Quite sad we're not getting the Bongo, I was really looking forward to that. I have to say I'm baffled as to why we haven't gotten it already, though.

Looks a little like the Nautilus from the horrible League of Extraordinary Gentlemen too, LT....

Why did you have to bring that up. Baaaad memories. :p

Darth Duranium
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't say that. Sure it's done for the time being, but if Hasbro lets the line rest for a few years which should see both the CW CGI show still going plus the new SW live-action show, then we might have a chance of getting them back.

Really hope you're right but it seems to me that they feel they've done everything they could do to keep the TS going (except advertising them, apparently). Sad but the kids just don't like 'em enough. Collectors have done their part to keep it alive this long...

I do appreciate their responses (especially to the SSG question) ... it seems that they're almost as gutted about it as us.

Alternatives: I've kept up with buying the WOTC mounted figs... just got the IG Lancer on a speederbike, a Yoda on a Kybuck, and a Clone on a Gelagrub.

I hope that they continue the larger mounted figs and that we see more Starship Battles... but I think SSB is dead, too.

I agree Ross, a LAAT/c like you describe would be very kewl.:thumbsup: I've got the Konami LAAT/c with an AT-TE attached... but it could really use a larger wingman.

LT, the Nautilus was the only decent thing in that entire dreadful flick... sorry to remind you.:)

Darth Windu
05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure that SSB is dead too - but hey, at least I got my Acclamator, Viscount, Interdictor, Assault Frigate, Munificent, Recusant etc. Actually on that, I've begun surgery on my Acclamator to straighten it, I'm fairly pleased with the results so far but I have to make an extra cut which I wanted to avoid. Oh well :)

With the Titaniums I really am curious about the new gunship. The way I see it the possibilities are:
LAAT/c Cargo Gunship - possible, and would be great, especially if it could connect with the AT-TE

re-done AotC Gunship - would be nice, but the only possible improvement I can see is the addition of ball turrets which you can do yourself anyway

CW CGI Gunship - honestly it's the same as the current Gunship with maybe a few minor differences. Doesn't seem worthy of a whole new sculpt

briar_mackinney
05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Glad to know what we're getting for the rest of the year, but I could do without the bounty hunter ships as well (besides the Slave I, for obvious reasons). But at least we're getting some new ones.

Titaniums that will never be that I'm quite PO'd about: Tantive IV escape pod, banking clan frigate, Asaj Ventress' ship from the 1st CW toon, Grevious' wheelbike, and whatever the hell Count Dooku took off in at the end of AOTC.

And LT, the Bongo was essentially a re-issue of the old Galoob Micro Machines die-cast line (I think they might have spiffed up the paint job a bit though). I just picked one up on ebay for six bucks, with shipping. You could always try to root one up there.

-v!

Darth Duranium
05-05-2009, 04:01 AM
the Bongo was essentially a re-issue of the old Galoob Micro Machines die-cast line (I think they might have spiffed up the paint job a bit though). I just picked one up on ebay for six bucks, with shipping. You could always try to root one up there.

-v!

If you got a TS-sized diecast Galoob Bongo for $6, you got the steal of the century, Briar. Galoob/Hasbro never released the Bongo but there was a tool and protos made. Are you sure it's not the little MM one?

DW, you know they're gonna go with option 3:)

It's interesting to see which ships each collector wanted the most... no 2 lists are alike but there's some consensus on a few.

Darth Windu
05-05-2009, 06:36 AM
haha yeah you're probably right you know, exactly the same except with doors closed!

I am hoping they do a 'deluxe' Gunship though similar to the old and new X-wings. I would also be very happy with a cargo gunship.

As for my want list, it's not that big really. If I had to chose say 5, they would be:
5. Republic Frigate (CW armed Republic Cruiser)
4. Recusant Destroyer
3. SPHA-T
2. Munificent Frigate
1. Acclamator/Republic Assault Ship (AotC and CW versions)

As I said before though I am fairly mollified at having 1, 2, and 4 as miniatures. Well I'll be happy with 1 when I'm done pruning it anyway :)

Blue2th
05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
The Starship Battles Munificent Frigate is my favorite of those ships.
I'm not too impressed with the Acclamator due to the warpage. Looking forward to seeing your surgery on it though DW.
I'd like to get a few more of the Munificent's to make a Clone Wars or ROTS battle scene.
They seem to be the pricey-est of all of the SSB's though. Probably go up now that there's a slim chance of a Titanium version.

TRU had the Titanium Republic Attack Cruiser with the red trim like CW and ROTS, so I ordered a couple more of those. On my way to a big fleet.

briar_mackinney
05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
DT-- from what I can tell the Bongo I got is the die-cast one. The seller listed it as being about 2 1/2 inches in lenth and the picture showed it in package all by itself (the mini micro machine ones came in packs of 3, and I've already got the Bongo from that line. . .the paintjob appears similair though. Of course now I'm paranoid that I wasted my money, so thanks for that!). I'll let ya know for sure when it comes in the mail.

On a different note, I read in an earlier post of yours that there are NINE different repaints of the Republic Cruiser?!? Does that include re-packs, because as it stands right not I've only got six of the bastards gracing my bookshelves.

Darth Duranium
05-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Yup, there's been 9, Briar... according to Warstar's variant list... though technically, 2 are packaging variants... loose, there's 7 unique LAATs. Darth Morpheus posted comparison pics at RS... 1 is reposted here (thanks).

I do think you might have got the MM-sized Bongo... might be diecast but I'm not sure... :cry: pic below. I do hope you got a TS-sized one... it'd be wild.

DW and Blue, I'm also stoked about the Muni... it's nice. How pricey are they now?

I really like the WOTC Rebel cap ships and Interdictor, too.

We should have an official poll to see what ships are on everyone's wish list... could divide it up into snub fighters, medium sized ship, cap. ships etc... and tally it up. Then we could beg Hasbro to do a Fanboy Pick Wave, while they still have their design team together. Maybe we can recruit some other fan sites, too.

Yeah, I know... not very likely... but a man can dream...

JediTricks
05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
CW CGI Gunship - honestly it's the same as the current Gunship with maybe a few minor differences. Doesn't seem worthy of a whole new sculptIt's quite different. The doors, the lack of the forward opening, the cockpit is designed a little different, the spine is of a different length, and there's a few other differences. I don't really think it's worth doing, but it is quite different enough to bother.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:LAATi_snow.jpg

BTW, I floated an idea at Hasbro in the Q&A voting thread about doing Battle Packs and Vs packs to get Titanium back into the kid market. Can't imagine why they didn't do that before.

Darth Duranium
05-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't really think it's worth doing, but it is quite different enough to bother.

Agreed... sorta...

BTW, I floated an idea at Hasbro in the Q&A voting thread about doing Battle Packs and Vs packs to get Titanium back into the kid market. Can't imagine why they didn't do that before.

The WM 5-packs were in that vein but it might be worth floating it, too... good idea.:thumbsup:

Darth Windu
05-05-2009, 10:09 PM
DW and Blue, I'm also stoked about the Muni... it's nice. How pricey are they now?

I really like the WOTC Rebel cap ships and Interdictor, too.
When I bought mine, the Muni was the second most expensive (the Interdictor was third), but fairly close to the Acclamator which was the most expensive at AUD$23. I do actually really like the Rebel Assault Frigate too, and for only AUD$4.50 how could I say no!

It's quite different. The doors, the lack of the forward opening, the cockpit is designed a little different, the spine is of a different length, and there's a few other differences. I don't really think it's worth doing, but it is quite different enough to bother.
Which of course means that Hasbro's going to do it... I really hope they don't but it's pretty likely. Of course I don't understand why the makers of the CW cartoon couldn't just make their gunship the same as the movies version...

Darth Duranium
05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
When I bought mine, the Muni was the second most expensive (the Interdictor was third), but fairly close to the Acclamator which was the most expensive at AUD$23. I do actually really like the Rebel Assault Frigate too, and for only AUD$4.50 how could I say no!

Luckily, I pounced on them when they first came out... I don't think I paid more than $7 CAD for any of them, except the starter kit which was a prezzie (twice, actually) :pleased:. Some were $2! I got a SSB wall poster free with them... it's pretty groovy.

I'm glad something's going up in value...

Blue2th
05-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah the Muni is hovering around $25 to $30 on ebay. I paid $22 plus shipping recently. This one would have been a sure winner in Titanium, but alas.

I can't believe the Acclamator was so high. It's a dog with the warpage, but tolerable at another angle (what else we got huh?)

Darth Windu
05-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Yeah true, the reason for the price of the Acclamator though isn't due to the quality of the mold (and lets face it, they did an excellent job of stuffing up a ship that has very straight lines and is symmetrical...), it's because it's rare.

Blue2th
05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I was thinking about question 18 in the Q&A, and it's been discussed before (DT) how they haven't really tried to sell the Titanium's in a diorama setting, or to kids for that matter.

They could have 2 packs or 4 packs deluxe versions.
Use ships of similar scale facing off.

A Titanium Republic Attack Cruiser facing off with a Banking Clan Frigate (Starship Battle's mold) I don't care if it's plastic or metal or a combination, with a box background of a space scene right out of Clone Wars or ROTS.

You could also do this with the upcoming Malevolence, and a host of ships already made.

Do different combinations of ship packs depending on which scene of Star Wars you want to create.

There would be some repaints or re-issues of Titaniums and or SSB's, and every once and a while a new mold.

Hasbro has already started doing package backgrounds again, so this would help the line return hopefully very shortly.

Depending on how many ships we see in the Clone Wars this would also make some of the already hard to get Titanium ships like the Trade Federation Transport in a repaint of Clone Wars blue and grey.
There's a 2 pack for them to do right away combined with a blue and grey MTT. Call it "Droid Army Invasion!" with a planet background from Clone Wars.

Surely kids and collectors would like them.

JediTricks
05-06-2009, 02:37 PM
The WM 5-packs were in that vein but it might be worth floating it, too... good idea.:thumbsup:IMO, those weren't a battle in a box, more like "these have a vague commonality, so here they are in a row of 5". We actually tossed the idea of battle packs at them before, they weren't receptive, but might as well get a "why" out of 'em.

Which of course means that Hasbro's going to do it... I really hope they don't but it's pretty likely. Of course I don't understand why the makers of the CW cartoon couldn't just make their gunship the same as the movies version...I have to assume it's for storytelling needs, many of the designs in the show are taken from the ILM design files, only the Jedi Starfighter is notably different and that's about getting R2 into the action more. The show has more space-to-ground so it needs the doors to be different and the center arch closed off though.

I was thinking about question 18 in the Q&A, and it's been discussed before (DT) how they haven't really tried to sell the Titanium's in a diorama setting, or to kids for that matter.

They could have 2 packs or 4 packs deluxe versions.
Use ships of similar scale facing off.

A Titanium Republic Attack Cruiser facing off with a Banking Clan Frigate (Starship Battle's mold) I don't care if it's plastic or metal or a combination, with a box background of a space scene right out of Clone Wars or ROTS.

You could also do this with the upcoming Malevolence, and a host of ships already made.

Do different combinations of ship packs depending on which scene of Star Wars you want to create.

There would be some repaints or re-issues of Titaniums and or SSB's, and every once and a while a new mold.

Hasbro has already started doing package backgrounds again, so this would help the line return hopefully very shortly.

Depending on how many ships we see in the Clone Wars this would also make some of the already hard to get Titanium ships like the Trade Federation Transport in a repaint of Clone Wars blue and grey.
There's a 2 pack for them to do right away combined with a blue and grey MTT. Call it "Droid Army Invasion!" with a planet background from Clone Wars.

Surely kids and collectors would like them.That reminds me, they did plastic 2packs a few years ago at Target. The paint was underwhelming, the sculpting was ok, but it came out the same time as Titaniums and wasn't a great bargain, wasn't done in a battle environment. They'd need to start out with repacks only, but yeah, there's a million ideas. TX-130 vs AAT, Sebulba vs Anakin podracers...

Nightside
05-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Surely kids and collectors would like them.

I was thinking the same thing, Blue2th. A simple thing like VS. two-packs would have more out-of-the-box play value for kids and might generate more interest in the line.

What is a kid gonna do with one X-wing? Swoosh it around a little and then park it on its stand? If it was a two-pack, the kid would have a TIE fighter to battle with. Instant dogfight when you open the package. Hasbro has done plenty of these type of VS. packs in other lines so why not the Titanium line?

And while I'm dreaming about Titanium VS. two-packs, I'm gonna dream about the battle-damaged Galactica and Cylon basestar two-pack, too.

Darth Duranium
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
And while I'm dreaming about Titanium VS. two-packs, I'm gonna dream about the battle-damaged Galactica and Cylon basestar two-pack, too.

Sure makes a lot more sense to me than to do another Gunship that they were gonna repaint another 6-10 times. ;)

I mean c'mon, it's not like we don't already have a host of Clone Wars Gunships already!:rolleyes:

Darth Metalmute
05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
You could do the battle packs in larger scales as well.

As many have stated before, the downfall of the line was basically no one wanted another ARC-170 repaint. However, package 2 ARC-170 with Obi Wan's and Anakins Starfighter along with a Venator-class Star Destroyer and you got a 25 dollar battle back using 4 re-treads and one new design that should sell. Market that with another set consisting of 2 Vulture Droids, 2 Tri-Fighters, and a Munificent-class star frigate, and you resurrect the line.

LTBasker
05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
IMO, those weren't a battle in a box, more like "these have a vague commonality, so here they are in a row of 5". We actually tossed the idea of battle packs at them before, they weren't receptive, but might as well get a "why" out of 'em.

I think that's a major reason why the 5-packs didn't do so well, there was nothing to really depict or explain why a person should be interested in picking them up. Truly a shame, as the shape of the packaging would've been great to recreate the trench run, the podrace, the DSII run, the Hoth battle, etc. with some decent graphics work.

Jangu Fett
05-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Out of the "New 9", I think I'll only be getting 8. Why, in all that's holy, why do another Republic Gunship????? I would have choose something else. Tops on my list are the Freeco Speeder Bike, Eclipse SSD, Zam or Ani's Airspeeders, and the Acclamator. No, instead we get a "NEW" RGS. Let me guess, this will have the doors molded closed, like in the CW cartoon. Or if anything maybe the doors can open and close. I still surprise by 8 new molds, and 1 IS NOT another Jedi Starfighter. Don't ask how, but I'm sure Hasblow was thinking it.