PDA

View Full Version : I Just Saw A Mommy Duck And Her 8 Baby Ducklings Cross The Road!

Tycho
05-02-2009, 10:34 AM
This was so cute. It happened only moments ago when I was driving back from Target (found nothing this morning). I was driving around the entrance-way to my complex and stopped after spotting the ducks leaving our green park area, to cross towards the trolley tracks and the San Diego River. Actually, I think there's a chain-link fence over there. I wonder how they are going to get down to the river? Maybe the ducklings can fit through the gaps in the wires? The mom can fly over the entire fence of course, but the babies cannot fly as of yet.

So why were the ducklings crossing the road? Well to get to the other side of course! Duh! :rolleyes:

But then what were they going to do? I certainly hope they won't get hit by a trolley. :cry: That would be sad. :cry:

Ducklings are cute. Have you seen Disney's Earth movie? It's all about the animals on my home planet. (Alderaan was blown to bits by the first Death Star, you know.)

DarthQuack
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Quack quack. And yes I also thought Earth was a great flick.

Tycho
05-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Speaking of which, now we know where Daddy Duck was ;)

JediTricks
05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Disneyland was brimming with ducklings a week ago. We fed a bunch of them from the Mark Twain, one of them was cheep-cheeping up a storm, could barely chew the popcorn he was demanding.

TeeEye7
05-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Duck season! Fire!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Disneyland was brimming with ducklings a week ago.When I went to DL last year, I was at the main entrance, waiting for the airhorn to let us trample each other to get in. :p A mommy duck was leading her family across the main way, and an employee said they do that often in the morning.

bobafrett
05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Duck season! Fire!

I guess you'll be getting grilled on the next "CSI: Duck Pond" for the murder of Mr. Ducky.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Been a while since I've seen baby ducks, but I'd probably see them if I watched for them at Lake Padden. I often see ducks there, and they seem fairly tame. I'll pass by them when running, and instead of taking off, they just slowly waddle away.

Why is it that male birds are the pretty ones of the species? The mallard drake is a pretty duck (seen at the top of this picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anas_platyrhynchos_LC0017.jpg)), while the female (seen at the bottom of the same picture), is rather drab looking.

El Chuxter
05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Off-subject, but the Mark Twain should be a hateful old boat that looks appealing to kids but warps their very souls when they step foot on it.

The man was one of the most cynical people to ever live, and he's constantly seen as a writer of kids' stories simply because the greatest novel ever written has a child as its main character.

Tycho
05-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I relate to grumpy old cynics. Wait until you read what I write!

TeeEye7
05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I guess you'll be getting grilled on the next "CSI: Duck Pond" for the murder of Mr. Ducky.

Oh, you youngsters! How in the world can you miss one of the most classic cartoon lines from Bugs Bunny vs. Daffy Duck! :dis:

There's even a "talking" Hallmark Christmas ornament about this!

Mad Slanted Powers
05-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Duck season! Fire!

But it's baseball season.

So, I guess this thread influenced my dreams last night. At one point, I dreamed there were some baby ducks and one of them must have decided I was its mother as it started following and nuzzling up to me.

JediTricks
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Duck season! Fire!You do realize the person who yells that is inevitably the person who gets shot, right?

When I went to DL last year, I was at the main entrance, waiting for the airhorn to let us trample each other to get in. :p A mommy duck was leading her family across the main way, and an employee said they do that often in the morning.The awesome thing is they've let the ducks run the park (although we saw a few geese there last weekend, which was awesome), and yet no pigeons at all. That's the true Disney magic. :D Around 11pm, we were on the train and I looked down at the grass design just inside the main entrance, and there are 2 ducks camping right next to the big Mickey head. They really seem to own the place, we're just visiting.

Why is it that male birds are the pretty ones of the species? The mallard drake is a pretty duck (seen at the top of this picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anas_platyrhynchos_LC0017.jpg)), while the female (seen at the bottom of the same picture), is rather drab looking.Those are exactly like the ducks at Disneyland.

There are more females than males, I believe, so the males have evolved a colorful plumage to attract attention, same with peacocks.

Off-subject, but the Mark Twain should be a hateful old boat that looks appealing to kids but warps their very souls when they step foot on it.

The man was one of the most cynical people to ever live, and he's constantly seen as a writer of kids' stories simply because the greatest novel ever written has a child as its main character.It's not called the Samuel Clemens. :p Besides, that boat looks appealing to kids but 2 minutes in and they're miserably bored, so it's not that far off.

Huck Finn is a tool.

TeeEye7
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
You do realize the person who yells that is inevitably the person who gets shot, right?

Absolutely! Even as a wee little tyke I knew what the outcome would be....and it was still funny! :looneytunesrule!:

Mad Slanted Powers
05-03-2009, 05:31 PM
There are more females than males, I believe, so the males have evolved a colorful plumage to attract attention, same with peacocks.I think that would make sense if there were more males than females. If there were fewer males, the females would have to lower their standards. Perhaps that is just human psychology though.

DarthQuack
05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
And the Anahem Ducks go QUACK QUACK in Detroit in the 3rd OT! :thumbsup:

Tycho
05-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I think that would make sense if there were more males than females. If there were fewer males, the females would have to lower their standards. Perhaps that is just human psychology though.

With humans, there ARE fewer males (48% compared with 52% for females). However there is a much more finite amount of females that us males want to mate with:

Kristin Kruek, Megan Fox, Jessica Alba, Eliza Dushku, Ashley Tisdale...uh, and there's Kristin Kruek, Megan Fox, Jessica Alba, Eliza Dushku Ashley Tisdale...uh, let me see, there's uh Kristin Kruek, Megan Fox, Jessica Alba, Eliza Dushku, OH - and Summer Glau and Natalie Portman, possibly Miley Cyrus, and uh....let me think hard (pardon the expression)....and there's uh Kristin Kruek, Megan Fox, Jessica Alba, Eliza Dushku, Ashley Tisdale....

DarthQuack
05-04-2009, 10:18 AM
And Amanda Bynes......and Megan Fox.

El Chuxter
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
JediTricks doesn't like Mark Twain?

Spoken like a true Doombot. :mad:

TeeEye7
05-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Mark Twain ROCKS!

He brought the science of fingerprints to the forefront in the late 1800's in The Tragedy of Puddin'head Wilson w-a-a-a-y before it was universally accepted in law enforement! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
And who doesn't love that creepy claymation special The Adventures of Mark Twain!

Blue2th
05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
C M Ducks?

M R not Ducks.

M R 2 C M Wings?

Tycho
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
M R not Ducks.

M R 2 C M Wings?

Master Replicas is making ducks? Why don't they just hatch eggs?

And MR is also going to market Crispy Marinated duck wings?

Will they be using Colonel Sanders' authentic recipe?

Snowtrooper
05-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Why is it that male birds are the pretty ones of the species? The mallard drake is a pretty duck (seen at the top of this picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anas_platyrhynchos_LC0017.jpg)), while the female (seen at the bottom of the same picture), is rather drab looking.

The males, as mentioned before, are alot more colorful for basically attracting mates. The females are drab looking because they take care of the young and need some camoflauge to help protect their eggs and ducklings.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Mark Twain ROCKS!

He brought the science of fingerprints to the forefront in the late 1800's in The Tragedy of Puddin'head Wilson w-a-a-a-y before it was universally accepted in law enforement! :thumbsup:Weird... I was thinking that very thing, TI. And since you're the one who mentioned it should I keep any soda cans or pennies in my possession so you don't get my DNA, too? :pleased:

And JT, Huck is not a tool. Now, I'll give you that Tom Sawyer's closer to that than Huck. Twain was/is a great local color writer, with national appeal; not too easy to do. Anyone who's lived through TWO Halley's Comet appearances can't be all bad... :rolleyes:

Blue2th
05-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Master Replicas is making ducks? Why don't they just hatch eggs?

And MR is also going to market Crispy Marinated duck wings?

Will they be using Colonel Sanders' authentic recipe?

That's redneck talk-spelling. You know the same ones who eat possum and Iguana C? ;)
I think they got some tasty recipes you could even C M Colonel eat 2.

You never know MR are producin' Ashoka lightsabers. Think I'd rather C M ducks. :squareeye

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2009, 06:55 PM
You never know MR are producin' Ashoka lightsabers. Think I'd rather C M ducks. :squareeyeHey, Captain Panaka mentioned "Sytting Ducks" when leaving Naboo, so you know someone will create an EU storyline about them, so there's your collectible. :rolleyes:

Blue2th
05-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey, Captain Panaka mentioned "Sytting Ducks" when leaving Naboo, so you know someone will create an EU storyline about them, so there's your collectible. :rolleyes:

I think Lucas did with EU Howard the Duck. Panaka was probably referring to how they didn't move very well, and they like to sit around and were easy targets.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I think Lucas did with EU Howard the Duck. Panaka was probably referring to how they didn't move very well, and they like to sit around and were easy targets.Can't be. Sounds logical and makes sense... :p

JediTricks
05-06-2009, 03:12 PM
JediTricks doesn't like Mark Twain?Dunno where you got that idea. I said kids don't like the ride (I do), and I said Huck Finn is a tool (he is), but I didn't say anything like what you're claiming.

And JT, Huck is not a tool. Now, I'll give you that Tom Sawyer's closer to that than Huck. Tom Sawyer is a massive jerk. I can sorta see what you're saying about Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer takes his flaws and magnifies them since he's imitating them, but I remember both characters being tools when I read Tom Sawyer as a kid.

OC47150
05-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Geese used to congregate in a low-lying area not far from where I worked. Whenever it rained, the area would retain water and be transformed into a nice little pond. The geese would bring traffic to a half whenever they crossed the street.

I used to go walking down that way on breaks. You had to dodge the big green goose turds on the sidewalk.

DarthQuack
05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I wanted to strangle Taj.....so sick of her, and all the freaking crying in this episode.....Get over it people....you haven't seen your loved ones for 30 days. Try it for a few years then I'll give you reason to cry.

sith_killer_99
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
This was so cute. It happened only moments ago when I was driving back from Target (found nothing this morning). I was driving around the entrance-way to my complex and stopped after spotting the ducks leaving our green park area, to cross towards the trolley tracks and the San Diego River. Actually, I think there's a chain-link fence over there. I wonder how they are going to get down to the river? Maybe the ducklings can fit through the gaps in the wires? The mom can fly over the entire fence of course, but the babies cannot fly as of yet.

So why were the ducklings crossing the road? Well to get to the other side of course! Duh!

But then what were they going to do? I certainly hope they won't get hit by a trolley. That would be sad.

Ducklings are cute. Have you seen Disney's Earth movie? It's all about the animals on my home planet. (Alderaan was blown to bits by the first Death Star, you know.)

Wow, T, you need to lay off the drugs man you're scaring me.

Blue2th
05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't mind having a little baby duck. Been thinking about building a small pond with a fountain in my back yard anyways. Have to keep him in a pen till he got bigger, so he could peck the cats away.

I would probably call him Howard or Ducky.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't mind having a little baby duck.

I would probably call him Howard or Ducky.Weird Al says he'd "name him Bruce."

Tycho
05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow, T, you need to lay off the drugs man you're scaring me.

All my drug dealers have M.D. degrees. They really know what they're doing and boy will I ever let all of you know what I've been dreaming! :D