PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Nielson Family member

Rocketboy
05-04-2009, 11:12 PM
A few weeks ago I got a random call from the Nielson people. I nearly didn't answer it until I remembered "Wait a sec, they actually pay people for telling them what they watch!"

Turns out that was exactly what they wanted me for. All I have to do is keep a TV watching diary for one week and they'll pay me $30. Easy money.

I got my envelope today. Inside was a thank you letter, two TV diaries (one for each TV) and $30. In cash. I found it pretty odd it wasn't a check, but hey, it saves me the hassle of going to the bank.

I start the diaries on Thursday.

My agenda:
Step 1: Help save Chuck.
Step 2: NOT watch any horrible crap, like Mtv, American Idol, CSI: Whatever, Dancing With The Stars or Grey's Anatomy, among others.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Weird! Do you have any idea why you were selected?

And what else are you gonna put on your list?

Darth Jax
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
my list would be really short. i don't watch any true tv. the only time i turn the tv on is when i want to watch a dvd.

TeeEye7
05-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Step 2: NOT watch any horrible crap, like...CSI: Whatever....

Bless you, sir! :yes: :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
05-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Turns out that was exactly what they wanted me for. All I have to do is keep a TV watching diary for one week and they'll pay me $30. Easy money.
Wait...they paid you $30?! Thats complete BS! They only paid me $5 for doing it! :upset:

Darth Jax
05-05-2009, 04:42 AM
i got a $5 bill in the mail from Nielsen media last fall and all they asked was that i fill out a 9 question survey about tv's and my home. didn't have to do anything as fancy as keep a tv diary.

sith_killer_99
05-05-2009, 08:11 AM
I guess this is a bad time for Chuck, seeing as how it has finished the season You can't really put "Chuck" down on your diary, since there won't be any episodes playing.:cry:

Do you watch "Castle"? My wife is a fan.:yes:

Rocketboy
05-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Weird! Do you have any idea why you were selected?They said they choose people at random, but I think that is a bit of BS because if it were so random they wouldn't have had our correct name. If they had gotten our name out of the phone book they'd have asked with our wife's maiden name since we never changed it with the phone company.

I guess this is a bad time for Chuck, seeing as how it has finished the season You can't really put "Chuck" down on your diary, since there won't be any episodes playing.:cry:

Do you watch "Castle"? My wife is a fan.:yes:I actually thought of that. There is a spot at the end where you can list things you usually watch that you didn't get to watch that week. I think they intend it for shows that actually air that week, but they don't specify, so I'll list a few shows if they aren't on.

And yeah, I've been watching Castle. It's a good show, but I admit if it didn't have Nathan Fillion I wouldn't be watching.

Ando
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Is it $30.00 a week/month or is it a one time payout?

El Chuxter
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Watch the final episodes of Pushing Daisies later in the month or I will kill you. :p

I wonder why they still put so much emphasis on Nielsen ratings, though. Don't they realize that, with DVR and the internet, it's not quite as simple as it used to be?

JediTricks
05-05-2009, 04:06 PM
They said they choose people at random, but I think that is a bit of BS because if it were so random they wouldn't have had our correct name. If they had gotten our name out of the phone book they'd have asked with our wife's maiden name since we never changed it with the phone company.Mailing lists, they probably bought one and you guys were on it.

Rocketboy
05-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Is it $30.00 a week/month or is it a one time payout?It's a one time deal as far as I know. If they contact me again I'm all for it.

Watch the final episodes of Pushing Daisies later in the month or I will kill you.

I wonder why they still put so much emphasis on Nielsen ratings, though. Don't they realize that, with DVR and the internet, it's not quite as simple as it used to be?Unless PD is on between May 7 and 13 I can't help you.

They do ask in the booklet of you have DVR and have a page to list all the shows you recorded that week, so it looks like they are starting to take DVRs into account.

dr_evazan22
05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
They do ask in the booklet of you have DVR and have a page to list all the shows you recorded that week, so it looks like they are starting to take DVRs into account.

On the face of it, it sounds like good news that they are now considering DVR's, in the hopes that info will get passed on to studios that while a particular show might not get high ratings when aired, that people are saving it to watch later.

But the flip side is that this Nielsen stuff is designed more for sales and commercial billing. If they are taking into account that a show is being DVR'ed (and FF thru commercials), then we might get more unholy whoring between studio's and product placement. A great example would be Heroes and Nissan. Last year Hiro drove the Versa, this year he drove the Cube (I think its called), making sure that the vehicle had prominent placement and usage, including use of its name during that ep.