PDA

View Full Version : The Next Little Star Wars Fan Arrives ~Dec 5

pbarnard
05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Yep, I'm making my own little piece of human veal too.:whip:

Estimated due date of this Chinese/American hybrid is December 5. This baby will run on either rice or potatoes when older.

Should find out the gender in a couple of weeks.

JediTricks
05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Congratulations!

Have you ever considered using a potato ricer? It's like a garlic masher, it turns potato into rice-sized pieces. Best of both worlds. ;)

pbarnard
05-06-2009, 03:43 PM
SHHH!!! I just convinced my wife that because we are going to have a baby does not mean we automatically have to buy a mini-van. She finds out about those things, and I'll have to re-live the time she had no car and I had to take her grocery shopping.

I'm a Chinese girl with no rice!

JediTricks
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Baby seats strap into sports cars just as easily as they do minivans. ;)

A better argument might be to point out the rather lackluster safety of a minivan in comparison to a car.

Doesn't matter though, the mother of your child gets whatever she wants. :p

Slicker
05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
That's a day after my mom was born...although just a few years after her.

*note* I'm talking of my real mother. Any Slicker's Mom jokes don't apply and if you make one you will be the recipient of a Snigtadian Hummer...

LTBasker
05-06-2009, 06:54 PM
You should tell the kid to wait until the 6th, that way he/she'll share a day with some of the most... interesting... people in history. Like, Tycho.

And myself.

But mostly Tycho.

And I'm sure some other people.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-07-2009, 12:29 AM
If the kid hurries up and gets born on December 1, then it'll share a birthday with someone even more interesting: me! :D

Really though, congratulations!

figrin bran
05-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Congratulations!

If the kid hurries up and gets born on December 1, then it'll share a birthday with someone even more interesting: me! :D

Really though, congratulations!

Now if the kid comes out a month early, at least he/she will share a birthday with yours truly.

bobafrett
05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Congratulations! Then when the baby hits 18, you'll be ready to throw them out of the house. It comes faster then you think!

pbarnard
05-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Ok, so now it's starting to hit. The OB (she's not GYN too, just OB) and her nurse give us a list. We do our own searching, and get another list. And since we're new to this and overwhelmed, how much of it is unneeded, and how much do you absolutely need?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/news/new-baby-basics-1105/overview/index.htm This is one of the more and overlaps with the doctor's list about 95% is just one. The only absolute thing to take baby home is the car seat which they inspect at the hospital.

El Chuxter
05-11-2009, 03:14 PM
I'd get one of those combo strollers that can "grow" with the baby and has a carrier that snaps onto a base in the car to become a carseat. It's a real convenience being able to take the whole carseat (or the top part, anyway) out when the baby's sleeping.

A diaper pail is absolutely unessential, as long as you're willing to take the trash out. For the first several months, if your wife is breastfeeding (don't want to get too personal, but it's tough not to), the baby won't poop much, and it won't smell too bad. It's formula or baby food that makes the big stinks. The diaper bag doesn't need to be specialized unless you really want it to be.

While (s)he's little, I'd go with sleeping sacks, and you don't even need blankets with them unless it's cold. They're safer, since the baby won't be in danger of covering his head with a blanket.

I've not seen anything recommend a rectal thermometer in years. Most recommend the armpit variety.

Pacifiers are often listed as necessities, but some babies just don't like them. Mine refused them from the beginning.

If the baby will be in another room, the monitor is essential. I'd really recommend a bouncy seat or something, but not immediately. A sling or Baby Bjorn (don't know the generic term aside from "baby carrier," which is a bit too generic) is a good idea, too, so you can carry the baby around on trips that require more walking, especially if you have a stroller that requires unfolding.

pbarnard
05-28-2009, 04:07 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=42671703&l=95159335eb&id=14835869 There he/she is.

Also, my wife is now wanting a video camera. Any suggestions?

Ji'dai
05-28-2009, 04:36 PM
The new Roebuck catalog I got in the mail the other day has a whole slew of nifty Bell & Howell Super 8 cameras. Some are even in color!

pbarnard
07-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Well we've decided on the English first name for baby genetic stir fry. Now, to work on the chinese "middle" name.

pbarnard
08-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Well we just had the 2nd Trimester ultrasound. It's a boy. All growth and size estimates put him in the 54% over all, so nice and healthy.

pbarnard
12-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Mikael Haoyang-Lu Barnard decided to come into the world at 11:09 AM Friday December 4, 2009. He weighed in at 8 lbs 8.5 oz, and 20 3/4 inches long.

I wish I could say it was routine, but starting Wednesday night Xin started feeling a lot of discomfort and some contractions. Thursday morning, her water broke fairly early in the AM, but the contractions had stopped. That afternoon, was admitted to UIHC. By that time she had a fever and they were inducing labor and saying that a c-section was more than likely sometime between midnight and 6 am. At admission she was 2cm dilated and ~90% effaced. They started adminstering petocin around 4 PM Thursday. That seemed to make a pattern of 3 rahter mild to weak contractions within 5 minutes, than a 5 minute break. Xin was given oxygen and IV antibiotics. That seemed to put everything back into the "normal" mode except for the contraction pattern.

Around 2 AM, the residents decided that the initial membrane breakage wasn't in the ideal location, so they decided to rerupture the membrane "ideally". This kicked up the contraction strength and changed the pattern to single contractions in 2-3 minute intervals. At this time, she was 4cm dilated and fully effaced. The residents decided that cesearan was probably no longer neceary because by 3 AM she was taken off oxygen. Tylenol and antibiotics managed the fever. And Xin (and me) were allowed to sleep until about 6 AM when she was determined to be fully dilated. They wanted to try to change Mikael's position since it was determined he was facing down, but turned the wrong way. This was tried two times, the first agitated Mikael. The second was aborted becase the pressure to push became real.

Pushing started shortly after 9AM. The actual attending physician and OB Xin had been seeing the entire pregnancy walks in around this time saying she had a scheduled C-section at 11, so let's try and push this guy out around 10AM. Just as she was about to leave, out comes his head, suddenly. Well took a few minutes more and out he was.

Xin was stitched up internally and externally. I was told to go with Mikael to infant recovery where he was started on an IV antibiotics. He was making soft wheezing sounds, so he was eventually taken up to NICU and placed on oxygen. He otherwise is fine, moves, opens his eyes, hiccups, and has had 3 diapers already. Mom was sore, and is still on antibiotics. She does get up to NICU to either pump or breast feed. Mikael is unusual in that his dad fed him the first time once a sufficient amount was collected from pumping. Mikael tries to rip off his nasal canula and sensors in his bed. Overall he's very happy, and improving.

Because of the infection Xin will probably go home on monday. Mikael is a bit trickier. He is in no danger, but they would like to keep him on oxygen and antibiotics at least through monday and than he needs to stay off the oxygen for a couple of days before finally being discharged and taken home.

That is/was written a day or two after he was born. Monday came and went and he was taken off the oxygen. He however has had the tendancy to stop breathing while eating briefly. He than regains his oxygen levels within seconds of having the bottle (Xin is still a too bit sick to attempt breast feeding). So if he does learn to swallow more efficiently he could be home any day now provided the blizzard lets us get there.

Rocketboy
12-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Congratulations!

Post some pics when you get a chance!

It's been a bit weird not seeing Facebook status updates I don't understand a few times a day. :)

TeeEye7
12-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Our son had a few problems not only from the git-go but through about his first 12 years. If Mikael's anything like my son, he'll end up bullet-proof just like he is now.

Those rough starts seem to have a way of evening out.

Best wishes and congrats to all!

El Chuxter
12-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Kept in the NICU because he won't eat and breathe at the same time? That sounds very, very familiar. ;) He'll be fine; take it from someone whose daughter was in the NICU for the same thing. I do have to warn you that she was in there for about two weeks because it took her quite a while to get the hang of it.

Ando
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Congratulations to you and your wife, PBarnard!

Darth Duranium
12-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Congratulations to you and Xin.:thumbsup: Hope everyone's home and safe soon. All the best!

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Congrats Paul! :D Sorry to hear of such a number of complications, but hopefully everything will be great soon enough.

Tycho
12-09-2009, 07:43 PM
:thumbsup: Congratulations. I'm waiting for pictures now. :thumbsup:

Old Fossil
12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Best wishes!

Slicker
12-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Awesome! Congrats. He was born on my moms birthday (real mom so no Slicker's mom jokes. Seriously) only a few years later. ;)

bobafrett
12-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Congratulations to you and your wife, PBarnard! It seems like it was just a short while ago when my son was born, but in a few months, he will celebrate his 19th birthday. I remember when he was just a few weeks old, his mother said "He looks like he's sick" and I looked and thought "he looks like he's just sleeping". She was right though, we took his temperature and it was over 100 degrees. We ran him to the ER, they inserted an IV into him, and the doctor said "He might have spinal menengitus (sp?)" or something like that, but the outlook didn't seem good. But here he is, healthy, and I don't know where I'd be without him in my life. Love your child through all the good and the bad. My goodness, I'm crying.

pbarnard
12-12-2009, 10:23 PM
He's home. He seems fascinated with the Snow Speeder hanging on the ceiling in his room (that was once mine but well away from his crib). No interest in the other ships and planes though. He is eating, and actually is sleeping better here so far.

Thanks to all.

bobafrett
12-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Good to hear he's home, and doing better.

mtriv73
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad everyone seems to be doing better. Did you get that "what the heck are we supposed to do now and how could those idiots at the hospital let us come home with him" feeling when you got home the first time?

pbarnard
12-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad everyone seems to be doing better. Did you get that "what the heck are we supposed to do now and how could those idiots at the hospital let us come home with him" feeling when you got home the first time?

They hit you over the head with it in the NICU. Are you sure? What is your support structure? Who will be arround you etc.

DarkArtist
12-21-2009, 11:32 AM
congrats PB. that's awesome news

pbarnard
12-23-2009, 02:14 AM
I don't think anyone is worrying anymore. Average weight gain since discharge is 4 oz a day. Yep, he puts on a quarter pound pre-cooked weight daily.

TeeEye7
12-23-2009, 04:32 PM
To quote one gold-colored droid: "I knew it all the time!".

I still stand by my statements (refer to post #18).

BTW: This is one of many tests Mikael will put you though as time goes on. You did bring home the Owner's Manual from the hospital and read the chapter on his job description, didn't you? ;)

In all seriousness, I'm glad things are looking up! :thumbsup: