PDA

View Full Version : SSG Weightlifting/Gym/Exercising Thread

DarthQuack
05-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Since we got to talking about this in the New Contest thread, I figured enough members workout/exercise so we could give each other tips, etc. I just rejoined the gym after a 3 year layoff or so. I want to gain maybe 10-15 lbs of muscle and get my frame toned. I'm about 5'9 145-150lbs. Just would like to get some muscle and be able to keep it on. I've always been trying to eat a lot better lately, more water, more fruits and veggies, less of the yummy fast food and salty snacks. Any tips or advice for my journey?

pbarnard
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Sadly, part of it is genetic, the other part of it is pharmacy...and all illusion.

Chicken breasts and rice seems to be the staple of the "good diet" ontop of the fruits and vegetables.

It sounds like you want to start by going the max/out power lifting route. After you're satisfied with your results, drop the weights of the weight and go with 15-20 reps per set at about 4-6 sets.

Combining exercises that work the same or complimentary groups with little to no rest in between can also produce fast results.

Slicker
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I usually do just the basic 3 sets of 10 reps for most everything but I had hit a plateau so now I'm doing a pyramid of sorts. I start at 10 with the weight I was normally doing and then I go to 8 reps but I'll add 20lbs. (for benching) and then I'll do 6 reps and add 20 more lbs. I do the same with back, arms, tri's, legs, etc. Once I'm able to up my limit I'll go back to the 3 sets of 10 and then go pyramid. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not the best eater in the world but I'm trying. I try to eat a lot of protein (I drink protein shakes too) and I also take a multivitamin. I'm sure they're more of a placebo than anything but, before I work out, I drink N.O. Xplode and afterwards I drink Cell Mass.

Since I've been going (which was late August when I came to the GW) I've gained over 20 pounds. I was at 180lbs. for at least 4-5 years but once I started going to the gym I quickly put on the weight. I'm 6'3" so I could still stand to gain a few more pounds if necessary.

pbarnard
05-07-2009, 03:22 PM
My "standard" part of the work out: single leg leg-presses. Followed by single leg leg-curls till my hamstrings cramp. Than double leg curls for 1 more set. Calf raises. If it's winter, eliptical machine for 30 minutes; if biking most days only 10 minutes. Elevated leg rows where you bring your legs from perpendicular to parallel with the floor. All of these are 4 sets of 15 and are part of the daily routine I need to do because of all the knee surgeries. Add to that are 2 one minute planks, followed by 4 thirty second planks on the sides. There's the decline sit ups, usually with a small medicine ball held over a head. From the same decline bench, you can than do a trunk rotation 4-10 times holding either a medicine ball or a weight plate.

After that I can do a variety of things. Close grip benching at 225lbs. 5 sets of 15. 5 sets of seated rows where I do not move my upper body, only arms, and than dumbell press on decline is a nice trio. Dumbell shoulder press, lat pull down (behind the neck), arm raises in front, and at sides, is another. Use the seat with angled front to rest elbows/upper arms while curling the lower arms with palms up, behind the head tricep curls, machine cable curls, followed by cobra curls (same as first, but palms down). There's lunges with the bar and side lunges with dumbells. For low tech there's dips, pullups and push ups.

The first paragraph like I alluded to is done every other day. The rest I do at least once a week.

bigbarada
05-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Recently I've just been working on losing weight. I was at 257 pounds and rapidly approaching 260, when I realized that something had to be done. I've been getting a lot of exercise and diet advice from my boss and essentially I'm on a less strict version of his diet (he's preparing for a fight right now, so he's monitoring everything that he eats). But the real breakthrough for me was controlling portions sizes. I'm down to about 230 pounds right now, just by eating significantly smaller amounts of food.

I first started out by just cutting every meal in half and eating small meals between the three main meals of the day. Also, I've made eating breakfast my first priority every morning, Which is tough because initially you almost have to force yourself to eat right after waking up. But it's very important to get a small meal in your stomach as soon as possible after you wake up.

There are also some diet rules I've been following that have been really effective:

1. eliminate all "white foods" - no white bread, white sugar, white rice, white potatoes, or white pasta, and if you drink milk then only drink nonfat/skim milk.

Only eat whole-wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, whole grain rice and just avoid potatoes (and potato products) altogether (except for sweet potatoes).

Stay away from all processed sugars and avoid anything that has high fructose corn syrup. I like that Sugar in the Raw stuff, brown sugar and honey.

2. avoid all forms of artificial sugar - no Splenda, aspartame, sacharine, sucralose, etc. While white sugar isn't the greatest for you, it just makes you fat, all those chemicals they dump into fake sugar will either kill you, cause brain damage or give you cancer.

If you crave a soda, then it's better to just drink the regular soda, not the diet varieties. This way you satisfy your craving and you can always exercise away the fat, you can't exercise away cancer.

Also, by drinking the sugar loaded varieties of soda, you'll find yourself drinking less soda throughout the day and your cravings for it will be less frequent. So, if you're addicted to soda, it's a great way to ween yourself off of it.

3. eat several (5-7) small meals per day, not 2 or 3 large meals. If you ball your hands up into fists and put them together, then that's about the size of your stomach. If you are eating more than that per meal, then you are overeating and stretching out your stomach. Which will just make you hungrier more frequently. The goal is to shrink your stomach down and eat smaller amounts of food per meal.

And always leave the table while you are still a little hungry, since it can take up to 20 minutes for food to reach your stomach. If you eat until you feel full or satisfied, then you have overeaten.

If you want to eat a dessert, then stick to fruit and always wait a couple of hours after eating your meal to do so.

4. Eat catabolic foods - these are foods that require more calories to metabolize than they provide. In essence, they are negative calories. Most fruit like apples, oranges, pears, etc. are catabolic, so they make great meals.

Here's a good link about these kinds of foods:
http://www.drkaslow.com/html/catabolic_foods.html

5. fat is not your enemy- it's healthy to consume a small amount of fat per day; but it's better to get it from natural sources not processed or fast food. Almonds are a great source of fat and protein, but try not to eat more than 8-10 per day.

When checking labels for fat content, the main thing you want to avoid is polyunsaturated fat. It's saturated fat that has been so heavily processed that it actually ends up being worse for you than it's original saturated form. I know that trans fats are bad for you too, but I don't really know why.

6. water intake is key - you need to try to drink about a gallon of water per day.

7. Finally, of course, exercise is essential, but just remember that walking is better than running if you want to burn fat. So try to stick to low intensity exercise.

sith_killer_99
05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Nutrition is the cornerstone of good health.

I highly recommend Jillian Michaels' new book "Master Your Metabolism". This is not just a weight loss book, but a good book that takes a serious look at the sad state of food in our country.

Jillian addresses nutrition robbers like High Fructose Corn Syrup, and Hydrogenated (Partially Hydrogenated) Oils, etc.

I avoid weights for the most part. Mostly stick with cardio and calisthenics. The Army APFT has 3 categories, push-ups, sit-ups, and 2 mile run. I developed serious knee problems so I can't really run any more, short sprints, short distances every now and then. I take an alternate event for the run, 2.5 mile walk.:( I can still do road marches, eliptical machines, bikes, etc.

I still do minor weight training, but it's seriously light weight and massive reps, we're talking 100's workouts. 5-10-15 lbs. but 100 reps. of each exercise, non-stop. Lots of push-ups, lots of sit-ups, that sort of thing.

I have no desire to get huge, 5'9 ideal weight 165-170 lbs...ripped! Working on it anyway. lol I put on a few lbs while I have been on leave, took a month off when the baby was born, just went back to work today and doing PT again.

My basic schedule is 1 hour PT 0630-0730, then 45min-1hr. eliptical in the evenings followed by 20-30 min. weight training.

bigbarada
05-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Nutrition is the cornerstone of good health.

I highly recommend Jillian Michaels' new book "Master Your Metabolism". This is not just a weight loss book, but a good book that takes a serious look at the sad state of food in our country.

Jillian addresses nutrition robbers like High Fructose Corn Syrup, and Hydrogenated (Partially Hydrogenated) Oils, etc.

Yeah, we've reached a unique period in human history where people can actually be obese AND malnourished at the same time. As recently as 60-70 years ago, that wouldn't have been considered possible. In fact, being overweight during the Great Depression was a sign of health, affluence and beauty.

Anyways, I'm kind of surprised that the Army hasn't done away with sit-ups altogether. Those things are terrible for your back.

What's the max weight your allowed for 5'9"? For me it was 165 pounds (I'm 5'9" also).

sith_killer_99
05-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Max weight is based on age.

17-20 = 175lbs.
21-27 = 179lbs.
28-39 = 184lbs.
40+ = 186lbs.

Anything over those weights will result in a body fat screening (tape test) allowable body fat % is also based on age.

17-20 = 20%
21-27 = 22%
28-39 = 24%
40+ = 26%

Minimum weight is 128lbs.;)

I have never weighed in over my allowable weight. Any time I get within 5lbs. I start freaking out. lol

My weight usually falls around 170-175lbs. but I would like be be a bit more ripped, not that I'm in bad shape. I want to get the 6 pack going and get back to a 28 inch waist. :thumbsup:

bigbarada
05-07-2009, 08:14 PM

17-20 = 175lbs.
21-27 = 179lbs.
28-39 = 184lbs.
40+ = 186lbs.

Anything over those weights will result in a body fat screening (tape test) allowable body fat % is also based on age.

17-20 = 20%
21-27 = 22%
28-39 = 24%
40+ = 26%

I have never weighed in over my allowable weight. Any time I get within 5lbs. I start freaking out. lol

My weight usually falls around 170-175lbs. but I would like be be a bit more ripped, not that I'm in bad shape. I want to get the 6 pack going and get back to a 28 inch waist. :thumbsup:

It looks like they've raised the max allowable weight some since I was in.

The big problem with the Army standard is that it doesn't take into account the different body types (endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph). I was always struggling with the Army's standard the whole time I was enlisted. When I was actually within the weight limits, I was always hungry, cranky and getting sick and injured constantly. When I went about 20 pounds over the max allowable weight, then I felt healthy again. I just don't think it's a realistic standard.

sith_killer_99
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
The Army allows the use of water displacement (dunk test) methods for confirmed body fat percentage, which takes body types into consideration. Unfortunately it's not available everywhere, like in deployed environments.

It's a step in the right direction.

The Army has also flirted with the idea of lowering or eliminating the body fat standards based on APFT scores, i.e. score 300 and you would be exempt from ht/wt screening.

It's not a perfect system.:(

bigbarada
05-08-2009, 12:52 AM
The Army allows the use of water displacement (dunk test) methods for confirmed body fat percentage, which takes body types into consideration. Unfortunately it's not available everywhere, like in deployed environments.

It's a step in the right direction.

The Army has also flirted with the idea of lowering or eliminating the body fat standards based on APFT scores, i.e. score 300 and you would be exempt from ht/wt screening.

It's not a perfect system.:(

Yeah, definitely not. We had one guy in our unit who was built like a brick ----house and was graded on the extended scale for his PT test; but he was kicked out of the Army for being 0.25% over on his bodyfat percentage. I think that was just a case of our First Sergeant being an idiot.

Mvader91
05-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Yeah, definitely not. We had one guy in our unit who was built like a brick ----house and was graded on the extended scale for his PT test; but he was kicked out of the Army for being 0.25% over on his bodyfat percentage. I think that was just a case of our First Sergeant being an idiot.
:thumbsup:I guess for me I have been bodybuilding for 20 years. It is all about what you want to get from your workout. The key to no matter what you do is consistency! You can't workout for a month and take two off. I recommend Arnold's Encyclopedia for bodybuilding types. If you are more for fitness read Men's Health. Good diet, regular excercise, and rest are pivotal into creating a new"lifestyle" which is fitness.Also, the weight chart is all relative. Muscle is twice as heavy as fat. So if you are built like Brick S*** House you may carry more weight. However, If you look good and feel good it is all relative to your height body type.Someone mentioned ectomorph, skinny build, Endomorph heavy build, and lastly mesomorph, muscular build. Identify what your type is and then decide what type of routines you should pursue. Hope this helps. Once you start it is harder to stop. Good health to all and to all a good night! LOL

Slicker
05-08-2009, 05:51 AM
. Once you start it is harder to stop. That's the one thing that I've noticed. At first I literally had to be dragged to the gym (and I would make excuses NOT to go) but now I'm ****ed if I have to miss it and I HATE days off from the gym (I go for 4 days then take one day off for rest) but they're necessary.

The Navy's weigh-ins are based on height and weight. I'm 74 inches and I think my max weight is over 220lbs or something like that. What's really sad is that the line to be taped for body fat is ALWAYS longer than the regular line. Thankfully the Navy is downsizing so they're kicking the fat bodies out first.

DarthQuack
05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Can someone explain this max and what not for the servicemen/women? Are you only allowed to weight a certain amount, and not exceed it?

JEDIpartner
05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm 5'8 and 175# (ish). I was last rated as 15% body fat. I was told that was pretty good considering I am going to be 42 this year. Still, I tend to carry weight right by my navel and on my sides. It doesn't matter what my weight is, apparently, it's still there. I even weighed 145# (too thin, in my estimation) for about 6 years and it remained. I have always had a blocky build, so I'm one of those body types.

Anyhow... a couple of years ago, I tried to lean out. I cleaned out my diet completely for two months and upped my cardio to an hour for 5 days a week. I put on 8 pounds of fat in that time even though everything was being monitored. Sumbeech!!!! :mad:

So, I decided to screw that and went back to my normal way of eating and some of the weight came off.

I lift 4 days a week and do cardio 4 days a week now. I'm pleased by the fact that I can see a four-pack. LOL Now... if I could just ditch the fat in those aforementioned areas without surgery!!! :(

Can someone explain this max and what not for the servicemen/women? Are you only allowed to weight a certain amount, and not exceed it?

It's kinda funny that there was recent report stating that servicemen are becoming fatter and fatter in the last several years. Apparently, the military is aware of this as most servicemen aren't getting the amount of physical activity they once did.

I can attest to this because the Army men who workout in my gym are some of the doughiest looking guys!! There is one really skinny anemic looking guy and two guys that are slightly above average in build. The other dozen have these massive guts.

I'm like... if these are the guys who are fighting for our country, we may be in for a mountain of trouble!! :eek:

Slicker
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't know about the Army or any of the other branches but in the Navy one of the reasons for not wanting fat as*es is because, in case of emergencies, we could be called upon to have to go through escape scuttles that are probably only 1 1/2-2 feet across. You get a fat guy in there and you could be in trouble.

sith_killer_99
05-08-2009, 12:26 PM
It's kinda funny that there was recent report stating that servicemen are becoming fatter and fatter in the last several years. Apparently, the military is aware of this as most servicemen aren't getting the amount of physical activity they once did.

I have been in for 15 years now and I see it as well, mostly with the younger Soldiers. They are generally more out of shape when they join which, despite our best efforts, carries over after they complete Basic Training.

The "don't get enough exercise" debate, is not one I buy. Most units conduct PT 1 hour a day 5 days a week, which should be enough to maintain good physical conditioning. Unless you lead a sedentary lifestyle outside of work, during off duty hours, or have really poor eating habits or consume lots of beer, alcohol, etc.

I know Soldeirs who spend hours each night playing video games, spend the entire weekend sitting around, playing video games or watching TV playing on the computer, etc. It has to do with poor life choices IMO.

BTW, those "doughy" guys you see at the gym are probably there because they need to lose weight, many Soldiers do not spend hours in the gym every day if they are fit. Most Soldiers do not want to get huge, then they end up over their allowable weight and need to be taped, which is just a pain in the rear. Those who do spend hours in the gym are usually at the gyms on post, as it doesn't cost anything. No gym or membership fees, etc.

Not even the Gen X'ers (like me) were as out of shape (or soft) as the new Gen Y Soldiers of today. Combine that with the touchy feely coddeling mentality that has become so pervasive in the Army's leadership philosophy and it's easy to see why I will have little or no choice but to retire in 5-7 years.

Slicker
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I just got done at the gym. It was back and bi's day and I must say that I had a really good workout. Here's how it broke down:

3 sets of wide grip lat pulldowns (start at 140 and end at 160)
3 sets of bicep curls (start at 65 and end at 85)
3 sets of regular grip lat pulldowns (start at 140 and end at 160)
3 sets of wide grip bicep curls (start at 65 and end at 85)
3 sets of narrow grip lat pulldowns (start at 140 and end at 160)
3 sets of narrow grip bicep curls (start at 65 and end at 85)
3 sets of seated row (start at 140 and end at 160)
3 sets of overhand bicep curls (start at 45 and end at 65)

All of these were done in a pyrimid manner (i.e. start with 10 reps at the low weight and finish with 6 reps at the max weight) because I'm trying to increase my weight. I'm hoping that in a month or two I'll be doing 3 sets of each at the stated max weight.

JEDIpartner
05-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I have been in for 15 years now and I see it as well, mostly with the younger Soldiers. They are generally more out of shape when they join which, despite our best efforts, carries over after they complete Basic Training.

The "don't get enough exercise" debate, is not one I buy. Most units conduct PT 1 hour a day 5 days a week, which should be enough to maintain good physical conditioning. Unless you lead a sedentary lifestyle outside of work, during off duty hours, or have really poor eating habits or consume lots of beer, alcohol, etc.

I know Soldeirs who spend hours each night playing video games, spend the entire weekend sitting around, playing video games or watching TV playing on the computer, etc. It has to do with poor life choices IMO.

BTW, those "doughy" guys you see at the gym are probably there because they need to lose weight, many Soldiers do not spend hours in the gym every day if they are fit. Most Soldiers do not want to get huge, then they end up over their allowable weight and need to be taped, which is just a pain in the rear. Those who do spend hours in the gym are usually at the gyms on post, as it doesn't cost anything. No gym or membership fees, etc.

Not even the Gen X'ers (like me) were as out of shape (or soft) as the new Gen Y Soldiers of today. Combine that with the touchy feely coddeling mentality that has become so pervasive in the Army's leadership philosophy and it's easy to see why I will have little or no choice but to retire in 5-7 years.

Actually, these guys I am speaking of are guys who had just been sent home after their tour. The extensive radio report was talking about how so many of the off-duty activities revolved around eating junk, drinking and not being active. They said that these soldiers were becoming so sedentary and eating an outrageous number of calories everyday and that was what was causing this recent trend.

I just got done at the gym. It was back and bi's day and I must say that I had a really good workout. Here's how it broke down:

3 sets of wide grip lat pulldowns (start at 140 and end at 160)
3 sets of bicep curls (start at 65 and end at 85)
3 sets of regular grip lat pulldowns (start at 140 and end at 160)
3 sets of wide grip bicep curls (start at 65 and end at 85)
3 sets of narrow grip lat pulldowns (start at 140 and end at 160)
3 sets of narrow grip bicep curls (start at 65 and end at 85)
3 sets of seated row (start at 140 and end at 160)
3 sets of overhand bicep curls (start at 45 and end at 65)

All of these were done in a pyrimid manner (i.e. start with 10 reps at the low weight and finish with 6 reps at the max weight) because I'm trying to increase my weight. I'm hoping that in a month or two I'll be doing 3 sets of each at the stated max weight.

Sunday is my chest, tri's, abs and cardio day. Monday is powerflex and cardio for 90 minutes. Tuesday is back, bi's and abs. Wednesday is legs and abs. Thursday is shoulders and cardio. Friday is a day off. Saturday is an hour of cardio and 20 minutes of ab work.

sith_killer_99
05-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Actually, these guys I am speaking of are guys who had just been sent home after their tour. The extensive radio report was talking about how so many of the off-duty activities revolved around eating junk, drinking and not being active. They said that these soldiers were becoming so sedentary and eating an outrageous number of calories everyday and that was what was causing this recent trend.

I buy that. The main problem is the sedentary lifestyle.

Deploy, high op tempo, limited junk food, lots of physical training.

Return from deployment with sudden access to junk food you were denied for 12-15 months.

After 12-15 months of high op tempo and PT 6-7 days a week you will want some down time.

The problem is when they go too far, too much junk food, too much down time, sleep, etc.

I still think it has a lot to do with bad habits learned early in childhood.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I've been 5' 8.75" for a long time, but my weight's had a steady increase as I became less physically active, with more aches in legs, knees, ankles, shoulders, etc. (possibly the chicken-and-egg reason why I've been less active). I did a BMI check a while back, and I was about 5-7 pounds from the upper level of acceptable for my height. I feel comfortable around 165, which means I'd have to drop 4-5 lbs. to reach the upper level, and as many as 10 to be more so.

Occasionally, I do a short lifting and streching routine before watching TV or going to bed. Windmills, toe touches, quad bends, curls with 10 lbs weights, crunches. I used to increase the numbers of each over time, unless I decreased them to zero. :tired: But it's back (sometimes...) every so often.

At work, I stand most of the time, and my classroom is equadistant from the parking lot, restrooms, and staff room, so I'm walking quite a bit. It's the most frequent active work that I get.

Qui-Long Gone
05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I've lost 35lbs since Christmas doing Weight Wathers, weights, and Zumba (Latin aerobics)....if you don't know Zumba, go to a gym that has it, sit back and watch the ladies shake....awesome.

My goal is to drop to 225 by this Christmas, so I've got a ways to go....

Slicker
05-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Today was my shoulders and legs day (it really don't have specific "days" for my workouts. It's basically a 5 day cycle. I start out with chest and tri's, then back and bi's, then shoulders and legs, then cardio and abs, then my day off. Rinse and repeat.) It was a rather good workout. My shoulders are hurting but in that good "I just had a great workout" hurting.

Ji'dai
05-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I lost most of the winter weight I picked up since November, when I started slacking off after it got colder. I've been walking every evening since February, approximately 2.5 miles. Now that it's gotten warmer, I'll probably start walking in the morning too.

Walking is a good exercise; it's low-impact, easy on the joints, and typically burns more calories than running since it takes longer to walk a given distance than running it. Running is a good cardiovascular exercise though; it really gets the heart-rate up. Now that I'm in better shape, I may start running again. I wish I had access to a pool; swimming offers a great cardio workout but is low-impact, unlike running.

I also do 30 or so push-ups every other day and abdominal exercises (crunches mostly) every day. The abs recover much more quickly from exercise than other muscles so they can be worked every day.

Darth Jax
05-15-2009, 10:27 PM
i hit the gym 4-5 days a week (and walk or hike on my off days). i do cardio and ab work each time i go to the gym. i'll cycle through shoulders/arms/legs and hit one at each work out.

Qui-Long Gone
05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Anyone have suggestions about a good breakfast plan? Since I've been eating breakfast regularly, I can tell a change in my appetite, but after a while, cereal and fruit gets old and donuts make me fat!

El Chuxter
05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I need to get back into exercising regularly. My cholesterol is high, and I need to get it under control without taking drugs. I've already cut out chocolate, cheese, red meat, eggs, and whole milk, or, as I used to call them, the five real food groups.

Cereal doesn't ever get old for me, but you can mix it up by getting a few different types and not sticking with one for more than a few days before coming back to it. I consider myself "out of cereal" if I've got less than three different types, not counting the ones I don't eat (like anything with marshmallows). Toast with peanut butter and honey is pretty good, too, but a little plain.

All said, though, I'd kill for a Carl's Jr Breakfast Burger. Beef, bacon, mayo, hash browns, and egg. In short, a cardiac arrest on a bun.

Slicker
05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Although I've been watching what I eat breakfast is usually one of the meals where I don't care. Since you're just waking up and your body is depleted of most everything it devours as much of what you put in as possible unlike the other meals. Besides, breakfast foods are the BEST foods so f**k it!

Slicker
10-21-2009, 12:58 PM
If you guys want a really good workout then come to the ship when we're in heavy seas. I was doing lat pull-downs the other night and I had it set at 150 lbs. but when the seas would rock it would either feel like 25 lbs. or 225 lbs. :thumbsup: It's also fun to run on a treadmill when the boats rocking.

DarthQuack
10-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I really would like to work hard to getting stronger and adding a little muscle mass. Anyone know any good sites that could set me up with a good meal plan to go by and workouts?

DaultayDofine
10-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Try Bodybuilding.com and go to the supersite. Search a subject that you're interested in: eating, routine, supplements, etc.

Tycho
10-22-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry I missed this thread before. I've been working out well ever since I've recovered from my surgery and I'm getting stronger every day now.

I'm trying very hard to keep any extra weight off. I'm not about 156 lbs and stay under 160 for my body-frame / size.

Don't forget to stretch. It's so important and can hurt you so bad if you skip.

Anyway, I do the eliptical and exercise bike, bench press and other usual leg, arm, and chest strenghteners with free weights and machines, and I spend serious time on my abs.

I also do eye and neck exercises each time a new pretty girl enters my gym.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2011, 11:24 AM
In weighing myself this morning, I saw a number in the tens place on the scale that I hadn't seen there in perhaps four months. :) Gradual weight loss is good, I suppose, and I prefer it to the rapid loss (and any significant gain, I guess) that has happened sometimes over the years.

JEDIpartner
09-07-2011, 09:21 AM

17-20 = 175lbs.
21-27 = 179lbs.
28-39 = 184lbs.
40+ = 186lbs.

17-20 = 20%
21-27 = 22%
28-39 = 24%
40+ = 26%

I'd like to be a bit more ripped, but that ain't-a gonna happen. I eat a pretty clean diet during the week, lift four days of the week and do cardio for 45 minutes two days and two hours on Monday evenings. I've managed a slight 4-pack, which is quite a coup for my genetic background! LOL

I'm 44 now and am 5'8" 174# 31"w 43"ch 16.5 arms. My last body fat check was back in June and it was about 15.4% *shrug*

JimJamBonds
09-07-2011, 10:06 PM
My last body fat check was back in June and it was about 15.4% *shrug*What kind of test was it? Was it with those goofy calipers?

As for myself if you read the 'how did you spend your Saturday' thread you'll know that I'm a runner. I'm just under a month from my next marathon (Oct 2 in Milwaukee). I've been averaging 50+ miles per week for the last 6 or so weeks (for me that is quite good). I've been ever so slowly cleaning up my diet, if I could just cut out the soda for good I think that'd help me out. I'm a hair under 6'3'' and about 184, I'd like to get down into the 170's before my race. :fingerscrossed:

JEDIpartner
09-08-2011, 11:11 AM
What kind of test was it? Was it with those goofy calipers?

As for myself if you read the 'how did you spend your Saturday' thread you'll know that I'm a runner. I'm just under a month from my next marathon (Oct 2 in Milwaukee). I've been averaging 50+ miles per week for the last 6 or so weeks (for me that is quite good). I've been ever so slowly cleaning up my diet, if I could just cut out the soda for good I think that'd help me out. I'm a hair under 6'3'' and about 184, I'd like to get down into the 170's before my race. :fingerscrossed:

I had a three-way (hee hee hee): multi-point caliper check, tape measure check and also those electronic current conductor things. Based on those three things, my average was 15.4%.

JimJamBonds
09-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I remember those silly caliper thingys that they used on your calf and back of your arm from the presidential physical fitness test from high school.

JEDIpartner
09-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I can't even get my head around how those things work.

JimJamBonds
09-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I can't even get my head around how those things work.And I can't get my head around how those silly things were supposed to be accurate.

JEDIpartner
09-12-2011, 11:23 AM
That too!! And this is exactly why we had a body fat "three-way"! LOL

JimJamBonds
09-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Well if you include me and my body fat in that equation looks like we got ourselvs an ()rgy. lol

JEDIpartner
09-14-2011, 01:29 PM
AHAHAHAHA!!!! That's good one, man. *chuckles*

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Since the start of school about 5-6 weeks ago, I've lost about 8 pounds. I like that steady progress, and so do my belt loops. :p I'm about 4-5 pounds from my preferred weight.

JimJamBonds
09-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Since the start of school about 5-6 weeks ago, I've lost about 8 pounds. I like that steady progress, and so do my belt loops. :p I'm about 4-5 pounds from my preferred weight.I hope thats not a result of stress from the kids!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I just assume a good 2-3 pounds each year for that! ;) But no, that's the cause of the hair loss. :eek: :p

JimJamBonds
10-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Who's got two thumbs and pr'd in yesterday's Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon by nearly 11 minutes?!?? THIS GUY! :triumphant:

JEDIpartner
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
who's got two thumbs and pr'd in yesterday's milwaukee lakefront marathon by nearly 11 minutes?!?? This guy! :triumphant:

woot! Woot!!!!

JEDIpartner
12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
LOL I've lost 3 pounds in the last two weeks 'cos I hate the flavour palette of the late autumn/winter Americana foods. There's too much repetition of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, sage and cloves. I just can't do with all of that, so parties and family dinners have left me to weight loss. AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

JimJamBonds
12-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Don't worry, spring isn't that far away. :namnamanm:

JEDIpartner
12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Yeah... but then it's all veg and light, healthy eats, which I LOVE!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I helped my mom set up her treadmill. Neither one of us tried it out faster than 2 MPH (but I did make the incline steeper). Chickens. Old geezers. :rolleyes:

Snowtrooper
12-11-2011, 10:42 AM
I helped my mom set up her treadmill. Neither one of us tried it out faster than 2 MPH (but I did make the incline steeper). Chickens. Old geezers. :rolleyes:

I did this very thing about a couple of months ago. I found a good deal on a closeout Norditrac at the local sears, so I bought it for my wife and I. My mom called and asked if they had any others on sale since she had burnt out her old one. So, I located another Norditrac for her as well and we set it up the following day. We topped your speed BCJ. We were going 3mph.:grin:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2011, 10:45 AM
We topped your speed BCJ. We were going 3mph.:grin:Well, your avatar tells me you are a wild one, flaunting danger at every turn! :p

JEDIpartner
12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I think the Bally's locations in the area were purchased by some outfit called "Red's" or something like that. Curious. I'll have to see how that affects my membership. If it gets funny, I will just quit and go to the Anytime Fitness that's a mile from my house and deal with fewer peripherals and no shower facilities.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2012, 03:33 PM
A high school classmate set up a basketball game, which apparently was supposed to be full-court. The park I recomended used to have one, but also apparently the city redesigned it to have more back-to-back half courts. There was NO WAY we were going to live at full court, :dead: and we only had eight players at the most. I did okay; scored some, played decent defense, had some bad turnovers and carpy shot selection at times, but I couldn't jump much after the third game (felt like my calves or ankles or hammies would suffer greatly if I tried). Won 3 of 5 games played (lost the first and last ones). We spent the last 40 minutes just reminiscing and filling each other in on what we'd done since HS. Today, I am sore with a tight back, but nothing that rest, water, and time should fix. All in all, a good time. :pleased:

DarthQuack
03-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Oh man, totally forgot about this thread, and I started it!! Haven't been to the gym in a couple years now lol. I'm pathetic. :P

JEDIpartner
03-15-2012, 03:37 PM
LOL @ Quack.

I ended up joining Fitworks and they are amazing. This gym is HUGE and they have a regular giant cardio room and two cardio cinemas (one showing ESPN and the other showing DVDs). I absolutely love it. The location is 15 years old and is in great condition. It looks like the new Whole Foods is going to take that location, so the gym will be building into the old Target that is just a mile south of where they are. It's gonna be nice.

Went to the dentist and the doctor today. Still no cavities. Doc says that I'm in great shape and my BP is 112/73. We like these things.

JimJamBonds
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Nice job JP! :thumbsup:

Track has started so I'm running with the young pups again...actually this 'old man' is faster then most of them over hs distances.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I watched the LA Marathon on television this morning. I really have no desire to damage my feet, knees, ankles, and legs for the challenge and pride of finishing 26.2. But I do enjoy seeing & hearing about others who do so. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Its not "damaging", I've done 5 marathons and I've had no 'damage' done...ok I had the nails on my big toes fall off but that wasn't something that lasted forever.

In 62 days I'll be doing my 6th and adding to my "JJB ran a marathon today" thread!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm referring to myself, personally. I had my time as a runner through my first two decades as an upright walker, :rolleyes: but since then, if I put that much extended pressure on my lower extremities, it will not be good for my future mobility. I can run, just not for more than a mile or so at a time, or in short bursts (like for tennis, half-court basketball, et al).

Congrats on the future marathon, JJB! :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
03-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Ohh, well sorry to hear that BCJ.

I'd like to add that running a marathon I think isn't harmful if you train for it in the right way. There are a ton of good programs that can be found on the interwebs that work fine, what I'm "agaisnt" is somebody signing up today for a marathon 2 months from now, BAD IDEA. I'm kinda shocked how on the biggest loser they have the people do a marathon, how does anybody think that is a good idea?!?!? I know part of it is the idea of completing one but WTF people?