PDA

View Full Version : Tank Droid and Large Tri-Droid

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Rebelscum (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Whats_Next_For_The_Clone_Wars_122880.asp) has pictures of these. They look awesome! I've wanted at least the Tank Droid for a while. The other will be great too.

Ando
05-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Looks like I may go back on my promise to stop collecting Droid/Separatist army pieces...

The Tri Droid looks GREAT!

JediTricks
05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Nice! I'm hoping that, despite what RS is saying, those are production-level test shots. The detail on the Banking Clan Tank Droid is really good, not as tight on the Tri-Droid which looks a bit like an upsizing of the 3.75" mold. The Tank Droid's center tread seems to move, and the middle of the body opens to be a cockpit, I think possibly front and back sections both open.

plasticfetish
05-12-2009, 05:18 AM
Mmmm... yeah, if the tank has panels that open on the sides (and I think you're right JT, those look like hinges), then I'm sold.

I can see myself covering the thing with Ep. 3 Wookies. Very fun.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Mmmm... yeah, if the tank has panels that open on the sides (and I think you're right JT, those look like hinges), then I'm sold.

I can see myself covering the thing with Ep. 3 Wookies. Very fun.
I'll likely be doing the same, so I'd better clear space in my Kashyyyk diorama. Hopefully the final version will have red eyes like it did in the film.

SirSteve
05-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Please check out our news before posting links to other sites news as we had these up before they did.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Um, no, there are official loose and boxed pictures of other vehicles here on SSG (Republic Fighter Tank, Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, etc.) but no mentions whatsoever of the Tank Droid or Tri-droid, unless I'm mistaken.

bigbarada
05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
If that's a working tread in the center of that Tank Droid, then it's going to be a hard toy to say "no" to.

Blue2th
05-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Nice!
I wants these!

Moldy Crow
05-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Nice!
I wants these!
Me too. The Tri-Droid is going to be so cool standing at full height, with an Anakin figure swinging off the guns. I hate waiting for stuff like this!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
I got the Tank Droid today (it's shipping alongside Ahsoka's Jedi Starfighter, though I didn't see that one). It's awesome! It might be a little smaller than it should be, but it's still quite large and hefty. The tread in the middle indeed works and it looks really cool. There's a forward-facing seat as well as a backward-facing one. My Kashyyyk diorama is about to get a lot more crowded. :D

clone157
08-31-2009, 12:06 AM
I am so all over these. I wonder if we will see an inevitable blue repaint on the Tank Droid. Dang, I am 4 ships behind now. First, I need to make more room for my jedi starfighters, now Kashyyk.

DarkJedi5
08-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Been looking for the tank droid with no luck (as usual) and the Octuparra droid should start hitting Walmarts this week according to the Comic Con cards.

sonofsokol
09-02-2009, 01:29 AM
I found the Tank Droid at Target in Salt Lake City for $19.99. They also had the new X-wing for $49.99, but I didn't get it. The tank droid is pretty cool. My 4-year-old had a blast playing with it tonight.

JediTricks
09-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I got the Tank Droid today (it's shipping alongside Ahsoka's Jedi Starfighter, though I didn't see that one). It's awesome! It might be a little smaller than it should be, but it's still quite large and hefty. The tread in the middle indeed works and it looks really cool. There's a forward-facing seat as well as a backward-facing one. My Kashyyyk diorama is about to get a lot more crowded. :DCongrats! Where did you find it? Ugh, sounds so cool! I saw it at comic-con, looked like the standard $20 "starfighter" pricepoint to me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Congrats! Where did you find it? Ugh, sounds so cool! I saw it at comic-con, looked like the standard $20 "starfighter" pricepoint to me.
It was at a Target. That store was selling them at the $24.99 pricepoint, but I didn't mind; I had already used a Clone Cash that day and didn't have the other two with me, so coulda, woulda, shoulda. The sources are saying it's supposed to be six meters tall, but this thing is not nearly that big. Battle droids can stand on the sides, but it's a little more crowded than it is in the film (there are no pegs, but it still works). It's also the ROTS sculpt but the TCW colors, so that's a little weird, but fine by me. I still think it's one of the cooler $20/$25 ships they've done lately, and there's been a lot of great stuff in this assortment the last year.

DarkJedi5
09-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Got me an Octo-droid today and I am fairly impressed. It's actually bigger than I expected and much much sturdier. I only wish it had come in a more screen-accurate paint app but all in all it's great. And I'm sure we'll get the screen accurate repaint eventually.

Darkross
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Does anyone have the Wal-Mart SKU for the Octuparra Droid ?

clone157
09-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Found the Octo droid last night, but $35, I don't know. I find it amusing that it is in the blue and grey paint op while the tank droid I bought today is in the tan like the older CIS stuff. Only a matter of time before they switch. Since I found it at Target, I give it a week (at least) before the tank shows up at Wal-mart.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Found the Octo droid last night, but $35, I don't know. I find it amusing that it is in the blue and grey paint op while the tank droid I bought today is in the tan like the older CIS stuff. Only a matter of time before they switch. Since I found it at Target, I give it a week (at least) before the tank shows up at Wal-mart.
The colors on both droids are accurate to how they look in TCW (they were both in the movie).

GeonosisJedi
09-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Just found the Tank Droid and Republic Fighter Tank at my local Target (19.99 each)...I am blown away by the awesomeness of these vehicles...the working tank thread is amazing.

Truly great additions to my Separatist Forces and Army of the Republic!

I also saw the Octuptarra (Large Tri-Droid) Droid at Wal-Mart..they had a bunch...I'll pick it up eventually, even though its a little pricey ($35??)

DarkJedi5
09-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Just found the Tank Droid and Republic Fighter Tank at my local Target (19.99 each)...I am blown away by the awesomeness of these vehicles...the working tank thread is amazing.

Truly great additions to my Separatist Forces and Army of the Republic!

I also saw the Octuptarra (Large Tri-Droid) Droid at Wal-Mart..they had a bunch...I'll pick it up eventually, even though its a little pricey ($35??)

Boy, I'm jealous on two counts: 1) you found the tank droid and 2)vehicles are $19.99 where you live!? I went to 4 different stores yesterday and found not a one tank droid (though I saw probably everything else, fighter tank, Ahsoka's fighter, tri-droid, TRU exclusive V-Wing, CW Y-Wing, etc.). For some reason collecting has become pretty difficult lately. I guess stores are having difficulty clearing their merchandise to make room for new stuff.

JediTricks
09-14-2009, 05:03 PM
I picked up the CA Tank Droid a couple weeks ago. It's pretty good, the coloring works very well despite lacking weathering (unlike the TX-130). The 2 cockpits are nifty, but HUGE, you could sit 2 battle droids in each if you were clever about it, there's a ton of legroom. The working tread is fantastic, great gimmick. I would have liked to have seen some poseability on the missile-launchers and eye-stalks though, but otherwise it's quite nifty.

GeonosisJedi
09-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Boy, I'm jealous on two counts: 1) you found the tank droid and 2)vehicles are $19.99 where you live!? I went to 4 different stores yesterday and found not a one tank droid (though I saw probably everything else, fighter tank, Ahsoka's fighter, tri-droid, TRU exclusive V-Wing, CW Y-Wing, etc.). For some reason collecting has become pretty difficult lately. I guess stores are having difficulty clearing their merchandise to make room for new stuff.

Wow, I guess you did find everything but the Tank Droid! I'm sure you'll find on eventually. At Target and Wal-Mart, my vehicles are priced at 19.99, but at our local TRUs, they are usually 24.99.

Maerj2000
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Right now, the vehicles are $17.99 at Target. The Wedge X-Wing is $45.99.

clone157
09-16-2009, 04:14 PM
The colors on both droids are accurate to how they look in TCW (they were both in the movie).

Yeah, I'm just saying it's only a matter of time 'til we get the repaints. I'm having a hard time dividing my CIS forces right now, or re purchasing the vehicles I already have. I blame the Attack on Christophsis UBP. I just wanted the red tipped AT-AP, now because of the AAT, I gotta have a blue and grey army.

jonthejedi
09-18-2009, 04:13 AM
...have yet to see the snail tank at 4 or 5 Targets I frequent. A shame, I wanted to take advantage of the sale.

SplFrcsCWO
09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Right now, the vehicles are $17.99 at Target. The Wedge X-Wing is $45.99.

I go to the Reading and Allentown stores and they are all higher priced. I guess I should visit you!

Maerj2000
09-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I go to the Reading and Allentown stores and they are all higher priced. I guess I should visit you!

That's the price at Target at the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing! I don't know if they're still on sale but thats what they were when I was there a couple of days ago.

SplFrcsCWO
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
That's the price at Target at the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing! I don't know if they're still on sale but thats what they were when I was there a couple of days ago.

I just got back from 5th St and they were marked down. I also got Wedge's X-wing for $45.

DarkArtist
10-05-2009, 08:29 AM
looking forward to getting the Tank Droid... that vehicle looks awesome. would love to get 2 of them if I can find them cheap.

Snowtrooper
10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I ordered one from HTS. It was more expensive than getting it at retail, but this time of year, I don't have a whole lot of time to go on hunts.

sonofsokol
10-08-2009, 01:41 AM
I just picked up the Octuptarra Droid at my local Walmart in the clearance section for $25!!!
I had not planned on buying one, but at nearly 30% off I just couldn't pass it up. They must have had 6 or so all piled up in the clearance area, which shocked me because up until then I hadn't even seen them at this location.
Sweet Deal

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or in the Walmart Exclusive thread in the Legacy section... I figure most people will see it either way.

DarkJedi5
10-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Maybe they're trying to free up room for the AT-ST that should be hitting soon...?

sonofsokol
10-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Now that is an optimistic thought.

Scackmgack
10-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I had no idea that Octuparra Droid was being released...walked into a Wal-Mart today for the first time in maybe six months and saw about 20 of these on a display out in the main walkway (not sure what the retail term for this sort of display would be).

I was a little hesitant at first because I couldn't tell whether you could extend the legs all the way out to make the thing stand tall...I knew it didn't belong in the position they had it on the box front of the product pic on the back...but decided I would take a gamble on it.

Then I noticed the price tag. I actually had someone scan it for me just to make sure because I couldn't believe that something at the $20 price point size was almost double that.

Where do they get off thinking that is worth $35? Even if it IS an exclusive? It's no wonder that they had them falling off the shelf...I can't blame people for passing on these.

I'd like to see a picture from someone, if they can, of one of these things standing upright like it's supposed to, just to make sure it *can*; but even then, $35? I may have to wait for clearance.

I also picked up a Tank Droid at TRU. $25. I guess their price points went up, too...I recently picked up a Magnaguard Fighter for $20 at Target.

sonofsokol
10-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm at work now, but I can post pics when I get home. It does stand pretty well with the legs fully extended. It is a little shakey, but not too bad. I have 2 cats and when I had it standing at full height they came over to investigate and knocked it over without much effort. My 4-year old son loves this thing. I have the AT-TE and Turbo Tank and he picks this to play with over them every time we play. I'll try to remember to post some pics tonight if nobody else has.
RS has a shot of it standing at full height (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TCW/VEH/Octuptarra/TCW-1888.jpg&text=Tri-Droid%20|%20Octuptarra%20Droid). It also shows the scale compared to the old Tri-Droid

Scackmgack
10-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Damn, that thing IS pretty cool...but $35....

Argh. Now it's a choice. That thing looks pretty cool standing up like that...

DarkJedi5
10-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I'll be honest, it seems much bigger and more substantial than anything in the $20 (which is now really $26 anyway). Side by side with a plain old Jedi Star Fighter, it's worth the extra $10.

Scackmgackm
10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, that's the other thing...if the new price point for the smaller-size vehicles is going to be $25, then $35 doesn't sound quite so outrageous anymore.

JediTricks
12-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I received the Octuptarra Droid for xmas, opened it up the other night. I think Hasbro is in a bind, the packaging is so tight to get more on shelves, so this box looks plain next to the $20 vehicles, but a bigger box that would appeal to customers more would bother the retailer. The vehicle requires substantial assembly, more than any in the SW line that I can remember, but only the feet are difficult, so I didn't mind. The thing is big when standing at its lowest, which is 1' tall. Extending the legs all the way out is ridiculous though, this thing is MASSIVE, it adds 75% more height (1' 9") putting it into that rare "big vehicle" category such as the AT-AT. Imagining being a clone trooper running into this thing must be utterly freaky and demoralizing, it's 30' tall and it's walking and shooting in 3 directions at once!

The articulation is very good, although I wish the claws were a little more movable, they can grasp a figure but only the "thumb" hinges and only a few clicks, the "ankle" rotates but doesn't bend. There are 2 sets of knee joints per leg, they're very strong. The legs are naturally wobbly due to their thin design, but the toy doesn't suffer for it, it stands well. Posing any tripod design is a challenge though, but this has as much mobility as you could ask, with swivel "hips" and a rotating pod with hinged, rotating guns.

There's also the cockpit which is nice to add, it's the same interior as the Spider Droid vehicle but why wouldn't it be? Cool addition, you can change the way Anakin interacts with this vehicle now, have him swing around it and break in, control it into the other troops.

So, let's get a few not-so-great aspects...

First, there's great confusion about the Tri-Droid/Octuptarra Droid at LFL because they're based off the same design and were thrown in last-minute to the film, then The Clone Wars and the Clone Wars Micro Series versions are different to them as well, and the Essential Droids guide has a different variation on the movie one! The "Tri-Droid" is actually the 30' big one in the film, the "Octuptarra Droid" is the 10' little one. The basic figure we got in the TAC line is super wrongo, it's a little version of the 30' droid, not the 10' droid it should be, but it does include the asymmetrical dome pattern of the smaller droid. Unfortunately, Hasbro's take on the 30'-represented vehicle is basically a recreation of the same mistakes as the 10'-represented basic figure. This vehicle sports the deco from The Clone Wars, but uses the little one's dome design, and uses the movie cannon design instead of the TCW which has its own eyes and cannons (left unpainted here, but they're still quite obvious) adding a small red "eye" above the cannon to fake it. So it's a massive blending of designs. As a stickler, one could feel this is a horrible disastrous mistake, but that's unfair to the toy as these inaccuracies harm it NOT AT ALL.

Second, as with the Droid Tri-Fighter vehicle, the nature of manufacturing required that screws be visible on the legs, so no matter which way you turn it, you will see those screws.

Third, the cannons are fattened up to act as missile launchers. It's not a big deal, but it further takes from the accuracy, and adds a little toy-styled look to an otherwise mighty vehicle.

Fourth, where am I supposed to put this thing? It's got a big footprint. Is that a bad thing? You'll have to decide. My cat seems a little fascinated and intimidated by it, so I can't put it near him or he'll mess it up. He enjoyed walking under it when I had it on the floor though, and he's a big cat.

But none of that is major. Sculpting overall is good but not exceptional, it straddles realistic and animated, but is sharper than the V-19 Torrent. Paint on the dome is pretty good, the shiny coloring distracts from the TCW line's lack of weathering. The legs are a gray plastic which doesn't wow.

Bottom line for me is that I dig it, it's definitely worth the $28 my mom paid off the WM website. $35 is an ok price too, but it's hard to know that until you've already gotten it home and assembled it, which is a catch-22. The size is a jaw-dropper when you see it in person, and would be demoralizing for your little figures if they were real. It will definitely be a fantastic foil to my AT-TE, and makes the Homing Spider and pretty much everything else in vehicle-land look dinky by comparison. I'm kinda sorry this one got lost in the numerous exclusives this year. I think if it had come out in 2008, it would have been a hit.

El Chuxter
12-28-2009, 06:58 PM
This might not be exactly the right place for such a comment, but the design of things like the Octuparra are a major turn-off for me regarding the prequels overall. The OT has almost exclusively utilitarian designs, usually with some heavy modification and wear showing. There are a few exceptions, like the AT-AT, clearly built for intimidation, or the Sail Barge and Twin Pod Cloud Car, owned by folks who had lots of dough and weren't involved in the war.

TPM was supposed to show almost all vehicles that were more aesthetically-designed than utilitarian, and it succeeded admirably with things like the Naboo Fighter. But the Trade Federation's vehicles were clearly built with war in mind; even if they weren't perfectly suited for it. Why did the Trade Federation take such a step backward between TPM and AOTC? And why did the entire Confederacy step even further back between AOTC and ROTS. By ROTS, you've got things like the Octuparra, which looks like a War of the Worlds reject. Aside from looking cool, it doesn't seem like it could possibly serve any purpose to construct a weapon like that. One good shot to a leg with a powerful blaster would incapacitate it.

Never mind that it would logically seem that the Rebels would've gotten their hands on some old Confederacy equipment at some point. I doubt the Empire was thorough in destroying the entire bulk of it overnight.

JediTricks
12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree, the prequel designs get odder and odder the more you look at them. There was too much focus with the baddies on looking "alien" and conglomerated, and it comes off like a modern art show where every piece is more bizarre and different than the last. But the prequel ground vehicles make good foils to stuff like the AT-TE and TX-120.