PDA

View Full Version : TIE Fighter with all-new cockpit

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-13-2009, 11:32 PM
JediDefender (http://jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1242245128,69400,) has pictures of a revamped TIE Fighter. It's too bad that they didn't do this before making four big-winged versions, but it still looks sweet as hell. I think the entire center part is new; at least the hatch opens front-to-back, finally.

bigbarada
05-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I've been soooo tempted to buy that current white TRU TIE Fighter and now I'm glad that I held out so long. Barring it getting some stupid EU paint job, this will be the only TIE Fighter I need to get.

AmanaMatt
05-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Argh! they got me to buy the first big wing version, then the white big wing one, but this does look sweet. Its a three-peat, baby!!!

Thanks for the link!

El Chuxter
05-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Should I link to that Johnny Mathis song again?

mtriv73
05-14-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm going to have a squadron of these things if I keep buying all the new versions. I passed on the white one, but this may be too good to ignore. I just hope it isn't a TRU exclusive. We'll get it $10 cheaper if it's target or WM (or wide release.)

Devo
05-14-2009, 11:31 AM
:rolleyes:I guess they're holding the electronics off until the next version.

However I think I'll get this one.

JediTricks
05-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I don't expect electronics to ever return, but this looks decent. I'm not sure if I'll bother or pass, I am very happy with the first big-wing one, but its cockpit is garbage. The white one made no sense to me, they seemed dark gray in ANH, so I passed there. If Hasbro does this one more gray than that, I'll be tempted to get this new design.

Not really sure why the cockpit opening from the back is such great shakes, I liked the original '78 cockpit opening design, it just didn't stay closed all that well or have full windows.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't expect electronics to ever return, but this looks decent. I'm not sure if I'll bother or pass, I am very happy with the first big-wing one, but its cockpit is garbage. The white one made no sense to me, they seemed dark gray in ANH, so I passed there. If Hasbro does this one more gray than that, I'll be tempted to get this new design.

Not really sure why the cockpit opening from the back is such great shakes, I liked the original '78 cockpit opening design, it just didn't stay closed all that well or have full windows.
The front-to-back hatch is cool because it gets rid of those ugly bumps at the front of the ship where the hinges were.

The white one was only ever supposed to be a throwback to the vintage design. They did do the gray one as well - there was the blue Target one in 2005, the gray TRU one in 2006, the white TRU one in 2007/2008, and that Rebel logo one more recently. I suppose you could say that the gray one should have been darker, but I think it's fine. That's probably my favorite paint scheme they've done for the ship, so I hope they do it for this one as well.

JediTricks
05-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I guess so, it leaves bumps at the back but not as bad.

I forgot about that gray one, it had a TON of wash and came out too soon after the Target one.

tagmac
05-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Held out for a while, then finally got the white one last year. For this difference which won't be noticeable when displayed, it's not worth buying another one.

TheDarthVader
05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I will probably be buying one. I love that new cockpit. I have all of the large wing tie fighters so it kind of sucks because this one will be much better. The hatch opening is a big deal to me.

Moldy Crow
05-18-2009, 04:19 PM
With what they're charging for these tall-wing TIE fighters, this really shoudl have sounds at least. But a new cockpit inside is a start. I wonder if they will use that design inside the Darth Vader TIE Advanced.

DarkJedi5
05-18-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that Hasbro will get my money for this one. As long as it doesn't use the white or blue color scheme they've used in the past. I only bought the grey and I think it's the only color I'd buy again.

TheDarthVader
05-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Who knows for sure? Anyone? That is, that they might add sound to this thing.

DarkJedi5
12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
So I saw the new TIE at two targets and I know I'm not buying this one but they have TONS of these. Are these really gonna sell? Is anyone even thinking of buying this one?

JediTricks
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I've got one coming for christmas.

Snowtrooper
12-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I ordered one off of Target.com a little while back. For the most part, I like it. The red tinted windows don't look bad at all. Some of the earlier pictures I saw made the look a little brighter than they actually are. The new hull is movie accurate, at least as far as I know. The new hatch is also way better than on previous releases.. The cockpit interior is very nice, much improved over the old one. My only disappointment is with the seat. The pilot fits on it nice and it fits inside the cockpit nicely as well. But I was under the impression that this was a working ejector seat when it actually is not. Oh well, its still a great looking TIE fighter.

DarkJedi5
12-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I know what you mean about the new cockpit, I bought the Interceptor and was really impressed. I guess I just assumed more people would pass on a non-movie appearance and wait for the new cockpit to debut without the red viewport.

jonthejedi
12-02-2009, 03:55 AM
I got this too, kinda glad I did. Wish the ejector seat did just that, but Hasbro would have tacked on an extra $10 to the price tag. Love the detail, though. But to my eye, the window looks more brownish amber than red...anyone else agree to that. Not quite as bright, either, as the picture depicted it. My pilot has the ace stripes that was included...wasn't it supposed to come without them?

JediTricks
12-02-2009, 04:11 AM
I ordered one off of Target.com a little while back. For the most part, I like it. The red tinted windows don't look bad at all. Some of the earlier pictures I saw made the look a little brighter than they actually are. The new hull is movie accurate, at least as far as I know. The new hatch is also way better than on previous releases.. The cockpit interior is very nice, much improved over the old one. My only disappointment is with the seat. The pilot fits on it nice and it fits inside the cockpit nicely as well. But I was under the impression that this was a working ejector seat when it actually is not. Oh well, its still a great looking TIE fighter.It's a "working" ejector seat in that it's removable, not spring-loaded.

I know what you mean about the new cockpit, I bought the Interceptor and was really impressed. I guess I just assumed more people would pass on a non-movie appearance and wait for the new cockpit to debut without the red viewport.They said it would be several years, and like some others here, I actually think this SOTE look is sharp.

I got this too, kinda glad I did. Wish the ejector seat did just that, but Hasbro would have tacked on an extra $10 to the price tag. Love the detail, though. But to my eye, the window looks more brownish amber than red...anyone else agree to that. Not quite as bright, either, as the picture depicted it. My pilot has the ace stripes that was included...wasn't it supposed to come without them?I think it wouldn't have fit, there's very little room in this cockpit hull now from what I can tell, a strong enough spring and latch mechanism for this application would likely take up more room that they had to work with.

That's weird about the ace stripes, I wonder if someone bought yours and swapped out the figure, but that'd be pretty goofy. Mine is in the mail so I don't know if it has the stripes or not, I'm hitting Target tomorrow though and will look to see if there are others.

Snowtrooper
12-02-2009, 09:02 AM
It's a "working" ejector seat in that it's removable, not spring-loaded.

I'd always assumed it was spring loaded, which is why I was a dissappointed with the ejector seat.

JediTricks
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry there was no James Bond in Goldfinger action for you. At this point, I suppose I should preface Tycho that the "laser cannons" don't do anything either, as otherwise he would come in and say something goofy to that effect. :p

morpheus282
12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I haven't seen this one in the wild yet, but I also haven't been to Target for over a week. Unless something just screams "buy me" when I see it, I'm probably going to pass until they use this cockpit mold on a different color - preferably gray.

JediTricks
12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Well, I'll be darned. I checked out the first 2 TIE Fighters I saw today, and sure enough, 1 had the ace stripes and the other didn't.

JediTricks
12-28-2009, 06:04 PM
I received one for Xmas, and I pretty much couldn't be happier with it. The wings have far less wobble than the previous cockpit; the cockpit is FILLED with movie-accurate sculpting and pre-applied stickers (I don't usually mind stickers, I just mind having to put them on); the removable ejection seat is not only a great design on its own, but also very accurate and really the only way to get the figure into the cockpit well; the movable cannons are a great touch; and I really like the deco.

The cockpit interior is very tight, there's no way Hasbro could have gotten electronics in there without doubling the price via ultra tiny circuitry, I'd guess there's only a half-inch square of free space under the cockpit in total, not enough for 2 button cell batteries and a hatch screw, much less a trigger button, speaker, and circuitry. The free space is the size of a sitting figure and only at best 1/4" tall and partly spherical, that's NOTHING.

But the cockpit pod is a massive improvement over the '78 model we had been getting updates on for the last 30+ years. Exterior detailing is significantly improved, the new hatch is perfect and sits entirely flush, the movable cannons are fantastic yet in no way distracting, and the interior has a sculpted control yoke and pedals!

In terms of deco, the pod with its light gray with red looks very good. The styling works just dandy, adds character to a rather bland colorscheme without being loud or feeling untrue to the original. Looking through the red cockpit at the pilot feels like the film. The black "window" in the rear is painted, there's a little slop on mine but the color is deep matte which stands out from the rest nicely. The wings are well-painted, but such large expanses of gray at the hubs are the one area where I would have liked a little weathering.

The figure is a revisit of the Evolutions one, which I hadn't owned before. This is an ok pilot figure, the arm articulation is a big plus for using the control yoke, but I'm surprised they released this figure as an Evo, the reused legs are only fair and have no ankle articulation. The gunbelt and gun are decent though. I got the "Ace" helmet stripes, and I see they're on the box back prototype photo, so I'm going to keep it, they don't stand out too badly.

The new packaging is more retailer-friendly, and I do approve, but it's big like a large board game and thin which doesn't say "vehicle". It's well taller than the previous and wider too. The thin profile is what makes it more retailer-friendly, and it wouldn't have been possible on the old version as that cockpit was notably larger -- this new package BARELY fits the cockpit it has.

Overall, this is a real winner and I'm sorry to see more collectors aren't getting into it due to the red SOTE coloring, which is actually a plus in my book. It's a fantastic update, it finally makes the TIE Fighter "complete", it whooshes nicely thanks to the stable wings, and it takes ANH accuracy into account like never before with its extendable cannons. Plus, it has the removable and well-detailed pilot seat, and the wings still eject.

bigbarada
12-28-2009, 06:52 PM
I received one for Xmas, and I pretty much couldn't be happier with it. The wings have far less wobble than the previous cockpit; the cockpit is FILLED with movie-accurate sculpting and pre-applied stickers (I don't usually mind stickers, I just mind having to put them on); the removable ejection seat is not only a great design on its own, but also very accurate and really the only way to get the figure into the cockpit well; the movable cannons are a great touch; and I really like the deco.

The cockpit interior is very tight, there's no way Hasbro could have gotten electronics in there without doubling the price via ultra tiny circuitry, I'd guess there's only a half-inch square of free space under the cockpit in total, not enough for 2 button cell batteries and a hatch screw, much less a trigger button, speaker, and circuitry. The free space is the size of a sitting figure and only at best 1/4" tall and partly spherical, that's NOTHING.

But the cockpit pod is a massive improvement over the '78 model we had been getting updates on for the last 30+ years. Exterior detailing is significantly improved, the new hatch is perfect and sits entirely flush, the movable cannons are fantastic yet in no way distracting, and the interior has a sculpted control yoke and pedals!

In terms of deco, the pod with its light gray with red looks very good. The styling works just dandy, adds character to a rather bland colorscheme without being loud or feeling untrue to the original. Looking through the red cockpit at the pilot feels like the film. The black "window" in the rear is painted, there's a little slop on mine but the color is deep matte which stands out from the rest nicely. The wings are well-painted, but such large expanses of gray at the hubs are the one area where I would have liked a little weathering.

The figure is a revisit of the Evolutions one, which I hadn't owned before. This is an ok pilot figure, the arm articulation is a big plus for using the control yoke, but I'm surprised they released this figure as an Evo, the reused legs are only fair and have no ankle articulation. The gunbelt and gun are decent though. I got the "Ace" helmet stripes, and I see they're on the box back prototype photo, so I'm going to keep it, they don't stand out too badly.

The new packaging is more retailer-friendly, and I do approve, but it's big like a large board game and thin which doesn't say "vehicle". It's well taller than the previous and wider too. The thin profile is what makes it more retailer-friendly, and it wouldn't have been possible on the old version as that cockpit was notably larger -- this new package BARELY fits the cockpit it has.

Overall, this is a real winner and I'm sorry to see more collectors aren't getting into it due to the red SOTE coloring, which is actually a plus in my book. It's a fantastic update, it finally makes the TIE Fighter "complete", it whooshes nicely thanks to the stable wings, and it takes ANH accuracy into account like never before with its extendable cannons. Plus, it has the removable and well-detailed pilot seat, and the wings still eject.

Nice! :cool: I'm really looking forward to getting one of these.... when Hasbro rereleases it in OT colors and not that silly SOTE color scheme. Why they do crap like that and then complain that collector spending is down is beyond me.

elvandrik
12-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I'd buy it but I cant get past the white color and the red cockpit "glass". They need to make it movie accurate for color,not just the molding.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-28-2009, 07:33 PM
I also got one for Christmas and like it a lot. In addition to what JT said, the wings actually do shoot off, much better than on the other big-wing versions, where they just limply fell off. The red coloring gives it some character after so many other big-wing TIE Fighters, but I would like one with more movie-accurate coloring at some point.

On the TIE Interceptor, it's essentially the same cockpit, but the seat is molded in a darker black. The little doodads on top of the control yoke are bent since they put a piece of cardboard in there, which is annoying.

And the pilots in mine are the Evolutions mold but without the gray stripes on the mask.

Devo
12-28-2009, 07:47 PM
I got this the other week and am quite happy with it too. I agree with JTs assessment. I can easily accept the red windows, they're clearly an attempt to recreate a cockpit glow effect and for me it works well without standing out too much.

The cockpit bubble is simply incredible both inside and out. It truly embarrasses the old one.

morpheus282
12-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Now that I know several people have it, what exactly is the color of the ship closest to - the light gray of the latest TIE bomber release, or the white of the vintage Kenner TIE?

JediTricks
12-28-2009, 08:37 PM
I may be mistaken about the cockpit pod being way smaller. But one nice thing I didn't mention was that the new pod has no screws or holes except. At the outest edge wing pylon.

Nice! :cool: I'm really looking forward to getting one of these.... when Hasbro rereleases it in OT colors and not that silly SOTE color scheme. Why they do crap like that and then complain that collector spending is down is beyond me.

I'd buy it but I cant get past the white color and the red cockpit "glass". They need to make it movie accurate for color,not just the molding.You guys have a long wait then, hasbro said it'll be several years before we get that. Plus, it seems so plain to me, we just got tall-wing blue and white TIE Fighters in the last few years, wouldn't you be annoyed having to buy it again so soon? That's why they did it this way.

I got this the other week and am quite happy with it too. I agree with JTs assessment. I can easily accept the red windows, they're clearly an attempt to recreate a cockpit glow effect and for me it works well without standing out too much.

The cockpit bubble is simply incredible both inside and out. It truly embarrasses the old one.Oh, good point.

That was such a nice new little detail, they tried to do it in the last TIE canopy but this is so much crisper.

Now that I know several people have it, what exactly is the color of the ship closest to - the light gray of the latest TIE bomber release, or the white of the vintage Kenner TIE?I don't have either, but compared to the rebel ecliptic TIE, it's a few shades lighter but definitely not "white". But it's fully worth it, that old TIE cockpit is so poor looking after so much time and so many attempts to fix.

TheDarthVader
12-28-2009, 11:56 PM
What do you guys think of the $40 Target Tie Fighter? Should I get one?

jonthejedi
12-29-2009, 01:38 AM
This is the only one since the vintage that I've opened & fiddled with...I really dig it(would love to hang/display with the ejector seat/pilot firing out(ASTEROIDS not included)). The face plate seems more amber to me than red, not intrusive at all. I DVR'd Ep. IV the other day & still framed any interior TIE cockpit shots they had...I think Hasbro did a superior job for a change.

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 05:05 PM
What do you guys think of the $40 Target Tie Fighter? Should I get one?
I like it a lot, very happy with it. If you've bought any of the 3 previous Big Wing TIE Fighters, it'll depend on how content you are with them and which colors you have. I think this is a good compliment to the original blue version, but I don't have the plain gray version which came after it so I can't say if that'd be problematic. Still, it's definitely the best one they've released so far.

nohagent
12-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Tons of these are sitting at my targets, Im waiting for their prices to drop, 17.48 maybe? Sort of like what the ARC-170's did a few Xmas's ago.

Snowtrooper
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I like it as well. I'd recommend it unless you've gotten enough of the previous releases.

morpheus282
12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Tons of these are sitting at my targets, Im waiting for their prices to drop, 17.48 maybe? Sort of like what the ARC-170's did a few Xmas's ago.

If it goes down to $30 I'll pick one up.

AmanaMatt
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Its great to save on money, but if you ever want future releases like this one, pay full price...!

Anyways, I love the Tie Fighter as well; at first turned off by the EU looking windows, but I got over it. Great piece and like the white/grey look. While not screen accurate, it does scream vintage Kenner look....

TheDarthVader
01-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Eh, I am still contemplating whether or not I want to drop $40 on this thing. I have some of the previous releases...two, I believe. I know I have the TRU white large scale winged tie fighter. Which way does the canopy open on the new target tie fighter? Top to bottom, left to right, or what?

DarkJedi5
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Eh, I am still contemplating whether or not I want to drop $40 on this thing. I have some of the previous releases...two, I believe. I know I have the TRU white large scale winged tie fighter. Which way does the canopy open on the new target tie fighter? Top to bottom, left to right, or what?

....Uh, front to back? The hinge is in the back and you pull the front up.

morpheus282
01-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Has anyone seen even a slight markdown on the TIE yet? Not looking for half price, just less than $40.

Darth Jax
01-06-2010, 10:14 PM
don't anticipate seeing these get marked down anytime soon. unless target really cuts back on SW, there isn't really anything that will take that shelf space.

morpheus282
01-07-2010, 12:56 AM
You never know, they may reset the section soon and be forced to reduce it. Stranger things have happened at Target.

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 03:07 PM
This is as much for the lurkers as anybody...

I encourage folks to get this at full price if they want it. Paying retail sends a message that we are willing to buy good quality toys in this line, that a Star Wars movie line is still viable at market and worth continuing. And this is a good, quality toy for the line. Compare it side by side to the previous plain gray version, look at the difference in cockpit pods (and I forgot that the last one was $5 more than the new one):
http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCvehTIEFighterSOTE.asp
http://www.rebelscum.com/TSCTIEfighter.asp

Keep in mind, this new TIE Fighter looks snazzy, has an all-new pod with tons more detail inside, movable cannons to match the ANH look, is considerably larger than a $25 pricepoint vehicle, and comes with a great figure, that's not a bad deal for $40, it's probably worth saving up to spend an extra $10 over a clearance price to get rather than waiting. Hasbro also said it'll be several years before a repaint on this mold. If this isn't your thing at full price, I don't really understand why not, but I guess you can reap the spoils of the SW line's failure at market when it goes on clearance. But it lessens the chances for the line's next quality vehicle.

There are a lot on shelves, and they just got the product, and it's a flat-pack box which makes for easier backstock storage, so the chances of it going on clearance right now are a little lower than other exclusives.

El Chuxter
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Me, though, I'd rather send the following message to Hasbro:

MAKE SOME NEW OT VEHICLES ALREADY!!! (Okay, you're making the Cloud Car, but, c'mon, something else new, rather than improving vehicles we already bought several times. Superior or not, there ain't room for 'em! Oh, and the red cockpit? Stupid.)

I personally wouldn't buy it until it went on deep clearance, 75% off or more. I have too many TIE Fighters and can't store the ones I have.

Sorry if I'm being negative, but, really, they just keep revisiting the same things and charging more for them each time.

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Chux, you are a certified crazy person. They have been cranking out new vehicles the last few years. And aside from the Cloud Car, there is the Droid Gunship and Clone Swamp Speeder coming out soon. What else do you want???

And charging more each time? The 2005 ROTS-line TIE Fighter was $40, the '06 TSC TRU-exclusive TIE Fighter was $45, and now the late '09 Target SOTE TIE Fighter is $40. I think your outlook is skewed, you are seeing what you want to see rather than what is.

Of course they're revisiting the same things, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO MAKE! They've done nearly everything recognizable, check out our last poll:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=655132#post655132
Aside from the Sail Barge, what's the first truly new item that they didn't make since we sent them that list? The Tantive IV, you really think they're gonna make that toy? Of course not. Next up is the Gungan Sub, then we get into some pretty fringe stuff.

El Chuxter
01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I said new OT vehicles. The Falcon and TIE aren't new, nor is the AT-ST. The only thing I can think of that's new is the little sled thing from the Yavin Battlepack. Clone Swamp Speeders and Wookiee Stripper Poles and Battle Droid Camaros are less than dung to me. (Unless they want to re-do the STAP or Naboo Starship, two of the only truly awesome TPM vehicles.)

If they really want to re-do things, I'd prefer a Sandcrawler (only modern one was a HTF exclusive and insanely undersized) or the Speeder Bike (the vintage version of which sucks).

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Aside from a few speeders scattered around Mos Eisley, I can't think of a single OT vehicle that hasn't been made before that could be made for less than $150 (the Cloud Car was made in the vintage line and is on the way, so it doesn't count).

The Sail Barge, of course, but Hasbro's never going to take that plunge if people are passing up more iconic vehicles like the Falcon and AT-AT.

The big ships like the Star Destroyers, Blockade Runner, Medical Frigate, Rebel Troop Transport, etc. would never be anything remotely affordable if done right and wouldnt' even be worth the effort at the $100-150 pricepoint.

So, let's face it, as far as the OT is concerned, it's improved versions of old vehicles or nothing.

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I said new OT vehicles. The Falcon and TIE aren't new, nor is the AT-ST.

Actually the AT-ST was all new. It's the first time that the ROTJ version has been made in toy form.

El Chuxter
01-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Technically true; however, that's only due to design differences. They're not intended to be different vehicles.

And, will most folks make that distinction when the previous mold has been released four times since 1995?

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Technically true; however, that's only due to design differences. They're not intended to be different vehicles.

And, will most folks make that distinction when the previous mold has been released four times since 1995?

Not everyone has been collecting since 1995, so I think that many core OT vehicles need to be made available on a somewhat regular basis (and the AT-ST would be one of those). Same basic concept that keeps the Saga Legends line outselling Legacy.

pbarnard
01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Ok, but can we not call it an ejector seat since the only TIES to have them were from the PC game and that's only because it was a holdover by inputing all the commands from the X-Wing game?

I don't need another TIE myself (well Interceptor is the only model I don't have), but keeping the iconic vehicles (TIEs, X-Wings, Falcon) in rotation can only be good for the line.

morpheus282
01-07-2010, 07:04 PM
I encourage folks to get this at full price if they want it. Paying retail sends a message that we are willing to buy good quality toys in this line, that a Star Wars movie line is still viable at market and worth continuing. And this is a good, quality toy for the line.

My choice to buy one exclusive at full or reduced price won't make Hasbro give a pair of dingo's kidneys about how they sell the line. Star Wars toys are not a democracy, and the overall sales of the entire line will matter to the product managers, not one exclusive over another.

Keep in mind, this new TIE Fighter looks snazzy, has an all-new pod with tons more detail inside, movable cannons to match the ANH look, is considerably larger than a $25 pricepoint vehicle, and comes with a great figure, that's not a bad deal for $40, it's probably worth saving up to spend an extra $10 over a clearance price to get rather than waiting.

I agree it's pretty snazzy, but just not worth $40 to me. Before I'll pay $40 for it, I'll wait a year and catch it on eBay for half price (including shipping) - which is also how I got my blue big wing TIE.

If this isn't your thing at full price, I don't really understand why not, but I guess you can reap the spoils of the SW line's failure at market when it goes on clearance. But it lessens the chances for the line's next quality vehicle.

I have a budget I have to work with. Considering that I currently need new tires on my car, guess which take precedence. And again, the overall sales of the entire line will matter to the product managers, not one exclusive over another. If I choose not to buy at full price, it doesn't mean that I'm dooming the entire line to failure or that it's my fault when the line fails. Yes, I said when the line fails. Everything must eventually run its course, and the recession hasn't been good for toys. I think we've got at least another five years in the line, but it's bound to die sometime.

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't need another TIE myself (well Interceptor is the only model I don't have), but keeping the iconic vehicles (TIEs, X-Wings, Falcon) in rotation can only be good for the line.

I think that the iconic vehicle list could be expanded a bit beyond those three vehicles:

1. X-Wing
2. TIE Fighter
3. Millennium Falcon
4. Vader's TIE Fighter
6. Snowspeeder
7. Tatooine Skiff
8. AT-ST
9. Imperial Shuttle
10. A-Wing
11. Luke's Landspeeder
12. TIE Interceptor
13. Y-Wing

These are all vehicles that played a major role in a primary action sequence from at least one of the films, or were operated by a core character to advance the main plotline; so none of them should be out of rotation for more than 2-3 years at a time.

morpheus282
01-07-2010, 08:49 PM
You left out the AT-AT. The snowspeeder is fairly worthless without an AT-AT to fight.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-07-2010, 08:49 PM
My choice to buy one exclusive at full or reduced price won't make Hasbro give a pair of dingo's kidneys about how they sell the line. Star Wars toys are not a democracy, and the overall sales of the entire line will matter to the product managers, not one exclusive over another.
Say what? In the last few years, more than ever, we've learned that it IS a democracy. People voted with their dollars to not buy Yarna or some other collector-focused figures, and that hurt the entire line (granted, Hasbro producing her in slightly higher-than-necessary numbers certainly didn't help). People didn't buy the Walmart Droid Factory sets, and we're not getting any more. People didn't buy the shadow ARC-170 and now that vehicle pricepoint is going away. People didn't buy the comic packs and they're going away. People bought more Clone Wars and Legends and then others wonder why Legacy might not be getting the spotlight. I know there are always several factors at play (distribution, production, etc.) but it ultimately comes down to us and how we respond to the line. The fact that the TIE Fighter along with so many other cool OT exclusives are not selling well will probably lead to fewer big collector-focused items in the future, and that's a damn shame.

morpheus282
01-07-2010, 09:11 PM
People voted with their dollars to not buy Yarna or some other collector-focused figures, and that hurt the entire line (granted, Hasbro producing her in slightly higher-than-necessary numbers certainly didn't help).

Yarna was a poor choice by Hasbro. Very few kids would look at that figure and say "I want it!", and very few non-collector parents would select it as a gift. Yarna should have been a convention exclusive.

People didn't buy the Walmart Droid Factory sets, and we're not getting any more. People didn't buy the shadow ARC-170 and now that vehicle pricepoint is going away.

Droid factory sets were priced higher than most non-collectors and even some collectors thought was acceptable. The ARC-170 was another poor choice on Hasbro's part since most everyone that wanted one got one at a lower price months earlier, but I've got another point of view on that in a second.

People didn't buy the comic packs and they're going away.

Yet you can't find one on the shelf at any store I've seen in a 75 mile radius. The same goes for the ARC-170, I haven't seen one since the original shipment.

People bought more Clone Wars and Legends and then others wonder why Legacy might not be getting the spotlight. I know there are always several factors at play (distribution, production, etc.) but it ultimately comes down to us and how we respond to the line.

Legacy is still incredibly difficult to find around here. I know they're arriving because I occasionally find a repacked figure, but I haven't seen hardly any 'new' figures. If Legacy is selling poorly, you can't prove it by checking the shelves of my local stores where every peg is clogged with nothing but CW and Legends. My dollars are voting not to buy those.

The fact that the TIE Fighter along with so many other cool OT exclusives are not selling well will probably lead to fewer big collector-focused items in the future, and that's a damn shame.

Like what? The only other OT exclusives that I've seen that aren't selling well are the AT-ST and dewback. Both of these appear to be over priced. It's only when you get them out of the box that you realize the quality and workmanship that Hasbro put into them. If both of them had been priced $5 less, I think we'd have a hard time finding one on the shelf right now.

I still don't think that my not buying one exclusive until it's marked down to 75% of it's original price is going to completely kill the line, but I'll concede it might kill a few future exclusives. The whole exclusive system is a little flawed as is, since we end up paying more for a toy that would be affordable if distributed to all retailers, but that's a different agument.

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
You left out the AT-AT. The snowspeeder is fairly worthless without an AT-AT to fight.

Whooops! :o I must have deleted it by accident, it's supposed to be right between Vader's TIE and the Snowspeeder.

5. AT-AT :)

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
The whole exclusive system is a little flawed as is, since we end up paying more for a toy that would be affordable if distributed to all retailers, but that's a different agument.

You seem to have missed the whole point of exclusives. They're designed to entice retailers into selling an item that would otherwise not see any retailer support at all. So, for these items, they are either exclusives or they never get made. There are no other options.

2009 has been the best year ever for exclusives. Walmart alone got three completely new items that weren't mere updates or rereleases (AT-ST, Octuparra, Dewback). Target and TRU both got much need updates on the TIE Fighters. The only reason I didn't buy the TIE was because the sheer number of high quality exclusives this year forced me to prioritize. For me, the AT-ST and Dewback were top priority. The TIE Fighter dropped to a lower priority because of the SOTE colorations, but I am going to make an effort to purchase one here soon before they go on clearance (I just have to wait for a couple of paychecks to come in).

El Chuxter
01-07-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't at all disagree that iconic vehicles should be kept available. However, putting a little bit of tooling money to retool bits and pieces of these vehicles at a time, to me, isn't as good as producing the few unmade vehicles (within reason--Tantive IV just ain't realistic) and overhauling existing ones maybe once a decade.

The new AT-ST is awesome, but we had two just two years ago. It probably should've moved down the priority list.

Even if I didn't get it, the BMF Falcon is the way to go. The vintage mold was released twice, lastly about seven years ago (IIRC). So they completely overhauled it, and made it so awesome, I was tempted to get it even without anything close to the room to display it. I haven't seen the upcoming Snowspeeder, but it looks like they might've employed the same strategy with that one.

But the TIE... yeesh. Everything's been so piecemeal in their improvements, and nothing's been quite right. First, there was the vintage re-do. Then they made the wings larger, and released it three or four times at $30+ per TIE. Now, they do the new cockpit, but it's got that garish color scheme (that I'm pretty sure is due to either the color of a reflection or a simple error in the comic!). Next year, it'll be out again, slightly closer to perfect, but still not there. Why not just keep it out of circulation for a couple of years, then wow us with an all-new one?

This bit-by-bit, never-quite-there improvement is something I've complained about with figures, too. From Hasbro's standpoint, I totally see where they're coming from--pay for only a bit of the re-tooling at a time, keep people buying figures and vehicles that aren't quite perfect. I'm not playing this game anymore. It costs too much, and there are too many intermittent figures and vehicles that eventually need replacing because they didn't do them right. (Perfect Han Solo or Luke Skywalker, anyone?) If they finally get around to a film-accurate, kick-arse, all-new TIE Fighter, I'll probably consider it. This pice of carp, no.

Like I said, I really don't blame Hasbro; if people are going to buy something that costs them not as much as a whole new item, then, logically, as a business, they should make it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be one of the folks buying it, then complaining about the drawbacks.

Like I've said before, keep buying things that you don't want (like silly "Rebel TIEs") simply to keep the line afloat, and they're only going to keep putting out things you don't want.

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I said new OT vehicles. The Falcon and TIE aren't new, nor is the AT-ST. The only thing I can think of that's new is the little sled thing from the Yavin Battlepack. Do you know why you can't think of anything else new besides the Yavin Troop Carrier? Because, as I said, there's NOTHING LEFT TO MAKE FROM THE OT! There are a handful of vague floaters and landspeeders from the very deepest backgrounds, but in terms of substance, nothing figure-scale is left except the Sail Barge and that has already been addressed as unlikely. You didn't mention anything new either, so it seems particularly unfair to claim this Hasbro's fault somehow.

And, will most folks make that distinction when the previous mold has been released four times since 1995?Well, the previous mold is rusty junk, so they should. But they're so wrapped up in "wah, I already have this and it was half the price!" that they fail to notice how crummy the old one was and how nice the new one is. Collectors are either standing in their own ways on that one, or don't care about quality and just want chess pieces to stick in storage and never experience again.

Ok, but can we not call it an ejector seat since the only TIES to have them were from the PC game and that's only because it was a holdover by inputing all the commands from the X-Wing game? Ejection seat is in the TIE Fighter in the comics, Biggs punches out in one which seems to be the design used for the new toy: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:TIE_ejection.jpg
The thrust nozzles are sculpted to the new TIE cockpit seat as well, so it is an ejection seat, and says as much on the packaging.

My choice to buy one exclusive at full or reduced price won't make Hasbro give a pair of dingo's kidneys about how they sell the line. Star Wars toys are not a democracy, and the overall sales of the entire line will matter to the product managers, not one exclusive over another.This is a business, the manufacturer and retailers are in it to make money. Your purchasing choices directly affect how those businesses guide their future decisions on similar items and broadly on how the entire line is perceived.

(granted, Hasbro producing her in slightly higher-than-necessary numbers certainly didn't help).Significantly higher numbers, they've finally admitted to. They blame it on over-ordering of the initial wave and them not pulling it out of revisions.

El Chuxter
01-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, the previous mold is rusty junk, so they should. But they're so wrapped up in "wah, I already have this and it was half the price!" that they fail to notice how crummy the old one was and how nice the new one is. Collectors are either standing in their own ways on that one, or don't care about quality and just want chess pieces to stick in storage and never experience again.

Dude, I wish this was only a complaint about having one and it costing less. No, it gets to a point where you've got multiples of the old version(s), and simply don't want to buy any more of the same damned thing. At some point, for whatever reason, you can't justify dropping $40 or more for vehicles, or $7 or more for figures, on things that you could make an army of from the older versions gathering dust, when they're the same thing, over and over.

When they give me something new and different, or improve something that's so incredibly lacking that it demands being updated, I'll buy it. I'm done dropping money on improvements when the value isn't there. For $40, I could buy yet another TIE Fighter, knowing it's still not perfect and they'll inevitably release an even-more improved (but still not perfect) version next year, and the year after that... or I can take my daughter to the zoo. Guess which one is more fun.

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 10:52 PM
The new AT-ST is awesome, but we had two just two years ago. It probably should've moved down the priority list.

Well two years is still a long time for a vehicle as prominent as the AT-ST was in ROTJ. Plus, since this was NOT just a succession of minor retools, like the TIE Fighter you are complaining about, but a complete do-over, then I think releasing a new one this year was more than justified.

Plus, we're talking about toys here, the release schedules are not an exact science and sometimes Hasbro needs to worry more about when they CAN release a new toy as opposed to when a few jaded, adult collectors think that they SHOULD release that same toy.

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 11:01 PM
For $40, I could buy yet another TIE Fighter, knowing it's still not perfect and they'll inevitably release an even-more improved (but still not perfect) version next year, and the year after that... or I can take my daughter to the zoo. Guess which one is more fun.

I would vote for taking your daughter to the zoo. You can never go wrong by choosing to spend more time with your family.

I actually understand some of your frustration since I bought the very first big winged TIE and felt a little burned when the rereleased it again with the slightly improved cockpit, then again with the white colorations. So I've been passing up every big TIE Fighter retool since 2005; but I am considering buying this version since the cockpit is significantly improved and I'm worried that the line will die before we ever see another one (Hasbro did say that it would be a few years before they rerereleased another big TIE Fighter).

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 11:22 PM
The new AT-ST is awesome, but we had two just two years ago. It probably should've moved down the priority list.That mold is exhausted, clunky, and no fun at all.

But the TIE... yeesh. Everything's been so piecemeal in their improvements, and nothing's been quite right. First, there was the vintage re-do. Then they made the wings larger, and released it three or four times at $30+ per TIE. Now, they do the new cockpit, but it's got that garish color scheme (that I'm pretty sure is due to either the color of a reflection or a simple error in the comic!). Next year, it'll be out again, slightly closer to perfect, but still not there. Why not just keep it out of circulation for a couple of years, then wow us with an all-new one? "Garish" is totally inaccurate. It looks fantastic, the red is subdued and plays well off the gray. And the regular deco TIE won't be made for at least a few years, according to Hasbro.

What is it with you and "don't make it for a while"? Bossk, the AT-ST, now the TIE Fighter. Why do you have such a burr under your saddle over upgraded designs being released in a shorter time rather than later? I don't want to wait 5, 10 years for good toys to come out just because Hasbro has also sold the older, poorer toys recently. If you want to miss out on good toys because you bought lesser toys, that's your prerogative, but it makes no sense to me. There's nothing about the new AT-ST or TIE Fighter or even Bossk that needs re-releasing down the line, they're finally "right" and I'd rather have them than not, no matter what I bought 3 years ago.

This bit-by-bit, never-quite-there improvement is something I've complained about with figures, too. From Hasbro's standpoint, I totally see where they're coming from--pay for only a bit of the re-tooling at a time, keep people buying figures and vehicles that aren't quite perfect. I'm not playing this game anymore. It costs too much, and there are too many intermittent figures and vehicles that eventually need replacing because they didn't do them right. (Perfect Han Solo or Luke Skywalker, anyone?) If they finally get around to a film-accurate, kick-arse, all-new TIE Fighter, I'll probably consider it. This pice of carp, no.

Like I said, I really don't blame Hasbro; if people are going to buy something that costs them not as much as a whole new item, then, logically, as a business, they should make it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be one of the folks buying it, then complaining about the drawbacks.

Like I've said before, keep buying things that you don't want (like silly "Rebel TIEs") simply to keep the line afloat, and they're only going to keep putting out things you don't want.Nobody bought the Rebel TIE, that thing was a misstep. But if you think for a second that there's one thing on the SOTE TIE Fighter that needs updating, you're sorely mistaken. The wings were updated to modern quality in the last 5 years, and the cockpit has now been updated. That's 2 things, it's not piece by piece like a jigsaw puzzle. This is an all-new TIE in modern quality, just because it's using the wings that were modern quality before the pod made it doesn't mean it's piecemeal. I don't regret for a second owning both the blue 2005 TIE Fighter and this new red TIE Fighter - and that's WHY it was released in gray and red, by the way, so stodgy cranks wouldn't complain as much about having to buy the exact same TIE Fighter they were quote-unquote "forced" to buy only 3 and/or 4 years ago.

This TIE Fighter is what I want, I am happy with it. The AT-ST is something I want, I am happy with it. The Octuptarra Droid is cool, I didn't know I wanted it but I am now happy with it. The Dewback isn't something I want, it wasn't done the way I wanted it so I didn't buy it. That's how it should work, and when I next see Hasbro in person, especially Brian M., I'll tell him as much - though he already said at '09 Comic-Con he didn't feel the final version came out as well as he intended due to factors both inside and outside his control, and that he had to chalk it up to being a learning experience. Too many collectors think it's some vast conspiracy to fool them into buying inferior product over and over again, rather than the SW team at Hasbro trying to deliver as good a product as they can, but they can only do so much, it's still a business with all the deadlines and mistakes that come with working in an environment such as that.

Dude, I wish this was only a complaint about having one and it costing less. No, it gets to a point where you've got multiples of the old version(s), and simply don't want to buy any more of the same damned thing. At some point, for whatever reason, you can't justify dropping $40 or more for vehicles, or $7 or more for figures, on things that you could make an army of from the older versions gathering dust, when they're the same thing, over and over.Why would you buy it over and over? Why would anybody? I bought the POTJ version and that was it, it sucked pretty bad and I knew I wouldn't waste my money on another one. Not even for the awesome exclusive log. :p I could make a decent army out of my POTF2 '95 Stormtroopers, yet there's a reason I bought lots of Commtech and then TAC Stormies, and if you don't understand it, I can't imagine why you're a collector anymore, there's nothing they could deliver that could satisfy you.

When they give me something new and different, or improve something that's so incredibly lacking that it demands being updated, I'll buy it. I'm done dropping money on improvements when the value isn't there. For $40, I could buy yet another TIE Fighter, knowing it's still not perfect and they'll inevitably release an even-more improved (but still not perfect) version next year, and the year after that... or I can take my daughter to the zoo. Guess which one is more fun.By the way, the last time the AT-ST was $20 was...? Anyone? Yes, orange packaging, 1995, very good. And the last time the AT-ST could hold 2 figures, had opening armor "eyes", a top railing, an accurate chin gun, movable legs beyond the chicken dance, the side mortar cylinder, and accurate design was...? Bueller? Sorry, that's right, it's a trick question, Kenner/Hasbro has never come even close before now.

What are your priorities as a collector? To have dusty, old, inaccurate junk from 15 years ago? Do you really think that $40 is going to make a huge difference to your collecting overall in the grand scheme of BEING A COLLECTOR? That $40 isn't going to mean much to your collecting world, and it's not supposed to affect your ability to take your kids to the zoo. If it were doing that, your priorities would be screwed way up. But to say that this new TIE Fighter isn't everything the others weren't is ridiculous, that it's somehow going to be updated again and made obsolete in a month is silliness. Same with the AT-ST and the BMF and so on, there's a clear delineation between the quality of yesteryear and the quality of today. You are over-generalizing yourself into not enjoying a great toy, playing a victim to a conspiracy that exists only in your mind.

If you don't like the colors, that's something, but to claim that they're somehow going to top this any minute now is ludicrous. I challenge you to study the pics I linked to above comparing the 2 gray big-wing TIEs and tell me where the new one doesn't succeed over the old one's failures, and how the new one could be better in any way other than color which has already been confirmed as NOT coming again in the next year. Same challenge with the AT-ST, you show me where Hasbro is planning to update it and "sucker us again" with it:
http://www.rebelscum.com/tacUBPendor.asp
http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCvehATST.asp

Well two years is still a long time for a vehicle as prominent as the AT-ST was in ROTJ. Plus, since this was NOT just a succession of minor retools, like the TIE Fighter you are complaining about, but a complete do-over, then I think releasing a new one this year was more than justified.

Plus, we're talking about toys here, the release schedules are not an exact science and sometimes Hasbro needs to worry more about when they CAN release a new toy as opposed to when a few jaded, adult collectors think that they SHOULD release that same toy.Or I could have just said that stuff. :p

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I would vote for taking your daughter to the zoo. You can never go wrong by choosing to spend more time with your family.Clearly, you've never met my family. ;)

I actually understand some of your frustration since I bought the very first big winged TIE and felt a little burned when the rereleased it again with the slightly improved cockpit, then again with the white colorations. So I've been passing up every big TIE Fighter retool since 2005; but I am considering buying this version since the cockpit is significantly improved and I'm worried that the line will die before we ever see another one (Hasbro did say that it would be a few years before they rerereleased another big TIE Fighter).I am not a huge fan of the gray TIE Fighter concept. To me, they were always intended to look blue (though I think the original concept of bright blue was overboard). I was thrilled to get the Target '05 model, but when they released the TRU gray version, I was less excited, even though that one is around to satisfy the purists who wanted an ANH version (the same collectors who are supposedly being suckered are the ones who asked for this stuff). I thought about it a while, finally passed on it because it was too soon for my tastes, used that crummy old cockpit, and it looked too drab. The Rebel TIE was an easy pass. But this new one looked sharp and replaces the problems of old, and as you said, the line seems in trouble and they may never do it again. So my choices are either to get the TIE Interceptor and trade the wings to the '05 TIE Fighter, or get a new TIE in sweet colors and avoid the TRU ripoff.

El Chuxter
01-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Funny thing is, you guys seem to be getting angrier arguing with me than I actually am. :p

JT, it wasn't exactly a $20 AT-ST, but both Ultimate Battlepacks included enough figures that they were around that range. I have never disagreed that this mold wasn't especially good, or that the new one isn't vastly superior, with little or no room for improvement. I may think that putting it out just two years after two different versions were available, in a massive sea of exclusives, in a crappy economy, maybe that wasn't the best idea.

Two years might be a long time to keep a high-profile vehicle out of circulation, but, c'mon, we've seen a lot worse. A few vehicles get re-released ad nauseum. Others, it seems like we've never seen again. (And not just the Cruisemissile, either. :D)

The TIE, though, different story. I would disagree and again say the improvements have been done piecemeal, an improvement here and there over several years. Sure, the wings might be great, and they might be a few years old, but that seems to actually support what I'm saying. We get one woefully undersized TIE. Then they fix the wings, but it's got the old cockpit. And they release it at least two more times. In non-movie color schemes. Now, they improve the cockpit, but it's got a lousy color scheme. (You say subdued and fantastic, I say garish. I'm not looking at the comic right now, but I'm 99.9% sure it's supposed to be a reflection of an engine or a red planet, and not an actual red windshield, making this like those weird blue-tinted Stormtroopers from the early comic packs.) I think it's ugly enough, I don't want to "settle" for it. Because Hasbro can say all day and night that they're not going to re-release it. They can send Darryl DePriest to my house with a notarized telegram that he sings to me stating that they're not going to re-release it. Because, and I'm not calling them liars, there are some things they're not 100% forthcoming about. I'm not saying they don't have good business reasons, but they're not always completely accurate about everything. (Remember that rumored BMF Falcon they flat-out denied for the longest time, right until pictures of it surfaced?) Fact is, some retailer approaches Hasbro sometime early in 2010 and says they want a "last minute" Christmas exclusive, that TIE is going to be the #1 candidate for getting a different paint job and a re-release. If it's in the right color scheme, I'll buy it then.

Their approach with the TIE seems to me like their approach with Jedi Luke--never quite get it right, keep re-doing it over and over. Maybe it's not intentional, but it's getting hard to believe that they can totally nail other figures and vehicles, but get a handful of them wrong over and over.

For new stuff, really, even if we can't get a Sail Barge, can we at least get Jabba's bloody dias already? Fourteen years since the line started, twelve since the first Jabba. Talk about unavailable, iconic stuff there.

bigbarada
01-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Clearly, you've never met my family. ;)

I was just thinking that the odds are pretty good that years and years from now, on his deathbed, Chux is going to be thinking, "I wish I had more time to spend with my kids," rather than "I wish I had bought that Target exclusive TIE Fighter from decades ago." ;)

bigbarada
01-08-2010, 12:07 AM
For new stuff, really, even if we can't get a Sail Barge, can we at least get Jabba's bloody dias already? Fourteen years since the line started, twelve since the first Jabba. Talk about unavailable, iconic stuff there.

No arguments there. Also have I ever mentioned that there hasn't been a single new Skiff Guard figure for over 10 years now?:D (Nysad doesn't count since he was on the Sail Barge; Giran never left Jabba's dungeon, so he doesn't count either)

Although an all-new Jabba with throne is supposedly coming this year and I'm actually glad that they've waited this long to make it since the overall quality of figures is at an all time high. So it should be spectacular. If they had made this 5 or 6 years ago, it would probably be due for another update.

JediTricks
01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Funny thing is, you guys seem to be getting angrier arguing with me than I actually am. :pI'm annoyed with collectors who have gotten into your mindset, basically the ones who are complaining that Hasbro isn't doing enough and simultaneously doing too much, complaining that Hasbro is greedy by making another TIE Fighter now yet mad that they won't be getting one for several years, saying they would be annoyed to buy another movie TIE so soon after the 2006 one but can't stand the alternate source coloring on this new one. It's not just the TIE either, it's everything lately, it's all a battle no matter how bad or how good. I can understand one OR the other, but it seems like they are fighting it from both angles at once, which basically comes off as they are fighting the whole line. Maybe they're part of the growing movement of collectors who don't know how to walk away when they're done so they want it to die and don't want to admit it.

JT, it wasn't exactly a $20 AT-ST, but both Ultimate Battlepacks included enough figures that they were around that range. I have never disagreed that this mold wasn't especially good, or that the new one isn't vastly superior, with little or no room for improvement. I may think that putting it out just two years after two different versions were available, in a massive sea of exclusives, in a crappy economy, maybe that wasn't the best idea.$50 is not $20 no matter how you slice it.

Hasbro had the budget to deliver the new AT-ST now. What does the clunky old version in the UBP have to do with it? I don't see the correlation.

Two years might be a long time to keep a high-profile vehicle out of circulation, but, c'mon, we've seen a lot worse. A few vehicles get re-released ad nauseum. Others, it seems like we've never seen again. (And not just the Cruisemissile, either. :D)"We've seen a lot worse" is by far the poorest argument I can imagine on this. You may as well be complaining that kids don't have to walk 15 miles to school in the snow up hill both ways. We've also seen crappy articulation and sculpting, we've seen overpacking so bad it nearly canceled the line and bankrupted the company. So what? What does that have to do with today?

The TIE, though, different story. I would disagree and again say the improvements have been done piecemeal, an improvement here and there over several years. Sure, the wings might be great, and they might be a few years old, but that seems to actually support what I'm saying. We get one woefully undersized TIE. Then they fix the wings, but it's got the old cockpit. And they release it at least two more times. In non-movie color schemes. Now, they improve the cockpit, but it's got a lousy color scheme. (You say subdued and fantastic, I say garish. I'm not looking at the comic right now, but I'm 99.9% sure it's supposed to be a reflection of an engine or a red planet, and not an actual red windshield, making this like those weird blue-tinted Stormtroopers from the early comic packs.) I think it's ugly enough, I don't want to "settle" for it. Because Hasbro can say all day and night that they're not going to re-release it. They can send Darryl DePriest to my house with a notarized telegram that he sings to me stating that they're not going to re-release it. Because, and I'm not calling them liars, there are some things they're not 100% forthcoming about. I'm not saying they don't have good business reasons, but they're not always completely accurate about everything. (Remember that rumored BMF Falcon they flat-out denied for the longest time, right until pictures of it surfaced?) Fact is, some retailer approaches Hasbro sometime early in 2010 and says they want a "last minute" Christmas exclusive, that TIE is going to be the #1 candidate for getting a different paint job and a re-release. If it's in the right color scheme, I'll buy it then.

Their approach with the TIE seems to me like their approach with Jedi Luke--never quite get it right, keep re-doing it over and over. Maybe it's not intentional, but it's getting hard to believe that they can totally nail other figures and vehicles, but get a handful of them wrong over and over.You're blaiming the new TIE for the old TIE's failures. The undersized TIE from 1995 had the altered cockpit without the battery box, then in 2005 we got the big wings, and in 2009 we got a new cockpit pod. That is not piecemeal, that is 2 steps for the modern TIE as we have:

- new wings
- new everything else

The iterations that came before are something else entirely. You don't call out the modern X-wing for the failures of the little '95 X-wing. Yet the modern TIE gets crapped on for the goofs of the little version?

Luke Jedi '04 was the first Palace update, it fit right within the Saga styling. But by '05, that styling was oldschool, the limited sculpting and articulation were left to the wayside, expectations had been raised. They reused that figure in '06 as Endor Luke, but the next new Luke was '07 TAC Palace, all-new body with modern styling and articulation. The next new Luke after that was '08 TLC Luke Jedi Tatooine cut scene, same body as the previous Luke but different belt, head, and head. That's not piecemeal, that's Jabba's Palace Luke having 2 separate figures across the modern figure quality divide of 2005.

It seems like you're extrapolating situations out to the Nth point to suit your feelings as a long-term collector. Same thing with this claim that they denied the BMF, here's every single answer ever from Q&A about the Falcon before its release:
May 20th, 2008
ActionFigs.com: With the AT-TE and Millennium Falcon being released on the same day, while exciting it does lead to a few questions: After years of saying there's not enough interest in large vehicles, how do we get 2 extremely large vehicles at the same time, was there something specific which precipitated this change in thinking? Why release them at the same time, wouldn't conventional wisdom say to release them months apart so they don't detract from each other's sales or retail shelf real-estate? For those collectors who want both but cannot afford 2 $100+ pricetags at the same time, for approximately how long will each vehicle be shipping to retailers? And finally, will these be produced in roughly equal amounts, or is will there be more of one vehicle over the other, and if the latter, which vehicle and why?
Hasbro: Previously we have said that the time was not right for the introduction of large vehicles, and that we would need an entertainment backdrop to give us the confidence to pursue them (i.e. a bigger market because of the new influx of kids interested in Star Wars). The time is right with the Clone Wars for the AT-TE, wheras it has not been the right time for the past several years. At the same time, we have experienced success elsewhere in our Hasbro brands at higher price points for product that really delivers on a great brand experience, and we felt that the Millenium Falcon is just the item that we could have success with if we really built it to match collector desires. Originally our plan was for the Millenium Falcon to phase in later in the year, but retailer interest and a smooth development schedule allowed us to ship earlier than anticipated and so they will both go out at the same time. Both of them should be available through the end of the year to allow collectors time to "reload" their wallets, but we can't say for sure how fast the supply we are bringing in will last.

April 25th, 2008
JediInsider.com: Even though we've seen tons of images and details on the new BMF Falcon, can we get an official confirmation that this is coming, when will it be released, what the SRP will be, and will it be a store exclusive?
Hasbro: Can we say we held back confirmation because we really couldn't believe it ourselves that it was happening, and didn't want to dash hopes if it somehow fell through? No? OK then, it is time to come clean. As most people have seen by now, pictures did get leaked of what we were hoping would be the biggest secret we ever held onto - the massive, new 3-3/4" Millennium Falcon. We can confirm that it *is* real, and it *is* spectacular! Please trust us when we say that our intentions were truly in the right place - we wanted to surprise fans everywhere with the biggest secret we had ever tried to hold back leading up to the massive 7/26 launch date for Clone Wars/Legacy. We do expect the first availability to be 7/26 at the same time as everything else. We have been working against a reveal plan, including a world debut in Wired Magazine (June issue, on sale in May!), followed by some very key celebrity reviews and additional exposure prior to the public debut at Comic Con. At least that was our intention...with something like this, as big as it is, and as intense the interest is in Star Wars, it proved impossible to hold. Look for additional details to roll out as per the schedule above, and look forward to the full public debut at Comic Con.

April 4th, 2008
ThePrivateUniverse.co.uk: A few fan sites have been touting alleged pics of the rumoured Millennium Falcon re-do. Do pics exist? Can we see them? Is this just wishful fan-boy thinking - or is the product actually in development / production?
Hasbro: The pics that we could see - all based on wishful thinking - were of previous model kits or Code 3 product. We have not done anything to encourage hope that a new Millennium Falcon is in the works.

March 20th, 2008
SSG: While it's our site policy to avoid rumors, our readers have been wound up a bit on this one so they demanded we ask.... It seems like there was a lot of hype and rumor about a new Millennium Falcon vehicle for the main line, including the leak of a Target DCPI number that came with the AT-TE - which Hasbro is indeed materializing. There was a lot of expectation that Hasbro would unveil both the AT-TE and this new Millennium Falcon at Toy Fair, and while the former appeared, the latter did not, so might you comment on these Falcon rumors at all? If nothing else, a simple confirmation or denial would ease a lot of collector tension.
Hasbro: We have no comment on anything to do with a Millenium Falcon item, other than to say that it is not our policy to comment on certain rumors especially as they pertain to items that may appear in the Target (or any other retailer's) computers. Often, there is a reason for this secrecy because some items may be part of that retailers promotional tactics such as the Ultimate Battle Packs at Target. Whether or not there is another such concept in development will not be commented upon for this reason.

January 18th, 2008
4-inches.de: If Hasbro would redesign the Millennium Falcon which dimensions would the Falcon have? Would the vehicle be completely "new" or would you re-use parts from the POTF2-vehicle? What could fans expect for a given price, say $ 150,00, electronics, one or more added figures?
Hasbro: We will not be taking any questions on the Millenium Falcon.

Oct 6th, 2006
ActionFigs.com: What are the chances of Hasbro producing a Millennium Falcon vehicle that's actually in-scale (1/18th) with the action figures? If not, what about at least an all-new, larger Falcon with more interior play areas?
Hasbro: A true-scale MF would be huge. A more likely reality - and we have only discussed this - is that we would do a new one someday. The likelihood of this happening would be enhanced if the MF were featured in the new animation of TV show.
The only thing there that even looks like a denial is their April 4th '08 answer where they say they haven't seen pics of their model and that they haven't done anything to encourage the hope that it's in the works, which is sneaky but true. Nowhere did they say it wasn't happening, that is just how you felt based on their answers.

Now, compare that to their answer about recoloring this new TIE Fighter:
November 16th, 2009
HansHideout.blogspot.com: It's probably a foregone concluson, but we'll ask just to try to get you on the record. How long will we have to wait to see that nifty new TIE Fighter sculpt in a blue/gray color? The white Target TIE is cool, but folks are salivating at the thought of a movie accurate color.
Hasbro: There is nothing lined up, and it will be a few years before we get to another version of the TIE Fighter. Meanwhile, we hope fans enjoy this one - it is truly amazing and looks great with the red Shadows of the Empire lenses.
There's a clear difference in the way they answered that vs their BMF answers. Here, there's no subterfuge on that answer, it's straightforward and direct. So you either are misinterpreting the situation, or you are calling them liars.

And they release it at least two more times. In non-movie color schemes.Actually, the first of those 2 releases is in ANH colors, which fans asked for. Then it rested for 2 years, came back with the crappy modifications from the $20 TIE cockpit, which is a different argument, with big wings and the Darklighter comic book paint scheme.

Now, they improve the cockpit, but it's got a lousy color scheme. (You say subdued and fantastic, I say garish. I'm not looking at the comic right now, but I'm 99.9% sure it's supposed to be a reflection of an engine or a red planet, and not an actual red windshield, making this like those weird blue-tinted Stormtroopers from the early comic packs.)Do you enjoy being wrong this much? :p
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/50/Battle_of_Gall.jpg
And look, there it is again!
http://www.yakface.com/2009/july/SOTEtie.html

It seems like you made up your mind that it would be garish based on preconceived notions alone, not anything to do with the way it actually looks in the comics or even just in person:
http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCvehTIEFighterSOTE.asp

For new stuff, really, even if we can't get a Sail Barge, can we at least get Jabba's bloody dias already? Fourteen years since the line started, twelve since the first Jabba. Talk about unavailable, iconic stuff there.A flat slab, that's your best "vehicles they haven't made yet" argument? Pretty weak. And that's putting aside that they're already working on it while trying to get it to production.

I was just thinking that the odds are pretty good that years and years from now, on his deathbed, Chux is going to be thinking, "I wish I had more time to spend with my kids," rather than "I wish I had bought that Target exclusive TIE Fighter from decades ago." ;)You ol' softy. :p

morpheus282
01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
[/URL]
It seems like you made up your mind that it would be garish based on preconceived notions alone, not anything to do with the way it actually looks in the comics or even just in person:
[URL]http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCvehTIEFighterSOTE.asp (http://www.yakface.com/2009/july/SOTEtie.html)

Those pictures go further toward convincing me to buy it than the rest of this thread ever could. I may even pop out this weekend and grab one at full price.

I was just thinking that the odds are pretty good that years and years from now, on his deathbed, Chux is going to be thinking, "I wish I had more time to spend with my kids," rather than "I wish I had bought that Target exclusive TIE Fighter from decades ago." ;)

Amen.

JediTricks
01-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Those pictures go further toward convincing me to buy it than the rest of this thread ever could. I may even pop out this weekend and grab one at full price.As Joan the bird says...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYhGSkdTsec

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2010, 11:14 PM
You're blaiming the new TIE for the old TIE's failures. The undersized TIE from 1995 had the altered cockpit without the battery box, then in 2005 we got the big wings, and in 2009 we got a new cockpit pod. That is not piecemeal, that is 2 steps for the modern TIE as we have:

- new wings
- new everything else

The iterations that came before are something else entirely. You don't call out the modern X-wing for the failures of the little '95 X-wing. Yet the modern TIE gets crapped on for the goofs of the little version?
I love the new TIE, but to be fair, they were getting a little nutty with all of the slight upgrades to the old mold. Let's run them down, shall we?
*1996 - vintage mold, removed electronics (later used for 2001 Interceptor)
*2003 - removed battery compartment
*2005 - larger wings (repainted gray in 2006)
*2007 - small-wing version, new one-piece hatch, new lower front (hatch used again on 2008 large-wing white version, but had old cockpit; entire cockpit repainted for 2007 Interceptor and 2008 Rand Ecliptic version)
*2009 - current big wings with all-new cockpit (on both Target and TRU versions)

Well, now, actually, that doesn't look too bad. In my memory (and probably Chux's), there was a long line of slight alterations to the TIE Fighter, with none of them being completely satisfying. From a more positive viewpoint, you can look at it as them updating pieces when they could to satisfy collectors. From a pessimistic POV, you'd say they were being greedy and could have easily redone the cockpit completely years ago. But it wouldn't have been nearly as good as the new Target one is. I think four different big-wing versions in as many years was probably enough to turn away some collectors from getting a new one, though others were indeed asking for blue, gray, and white ones (the pirate one being a turd nobody wanted). I can't say I really blame Chux for being disinterested right now, even though I'm with JT in saying that this is a fantastic new piece that most people will like regardless of what's come before.

bigbarada
01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Actually the POTF2 TIE Fighter was released in 1995 and it's big improvement was that the solar panels were actually sculpted details instead of just stickers that you applied. That was a huuuge improvement over the vintage version.

Anyways, since my nearest Target is about 45 miles away, I went ahead and purchased one of these TIEs off of Ebay. With shipping included, it ended up being $47.95, which is significantly cheaper than $39.99 + 7.25% IL sales tax + enough gas (at $2.69 per gallon) to make the 90 mile round trip.

sith_killer_99
01-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Well, I found the TIE Fighter at Target tonight, then had several, at $39.99 each, I am seriously considering buying one.

For the record I am VERY pleased with the direction Hasbro has taken lately, in terms of quality and selection they seem to have improved considerably, I just bought Zuckuss and AT-AT pilot and noticed some excellent back ground characters in the wave, something many have been clamoring for, for a long time.

My collecting has dwindled down to almost nothing in terms of Hasbro stuff, but has picked up slightly here and there.

JediTricks
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
That's their plan, to get collectors who have dropped out over the last few years to see that good stuff is coming out now so they'll come back.

morpheus282
01-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Bought the TIE tonight. Won't have time to unbox it for a few days.

bigbarada
01-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Well I was picking up one of my roommates from the airport, so I decided to stop by the Target to see what was there. They had a whole shelf full of TIE Fighters, but no clearance price.

If I hadn't of just bought one off of Ebay, I would have grabbed one of them; but I don't know if I'll have a place for two of them.

But who knows, it's a nice shallow box, so I might just buy another one to store away in the closet.

morpheus282
01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Why do I get the feeling I was bidding against you on that TIE?

bigbarada
01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Why do I get the feeling I was bidding against you on that TIE?

THis was the one that I got:

Anyways, this thing came in today and it is awesome! The red tinted glass is subdued enough to not be garish, but does add a nice bit of color to what would otherwise be a grayscale toy. I am now seriously considering buying a second one just to keep boxed.

JediTricks
01-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Glad to hear you got it and dig it, BB!

So, Morph, did you bid against BB? I have had that in the past, bidding against fellow forumites. :D

bigbarada
01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear you got it and dig it, BB!

It was tough to do, but now I'm glad that I resisted buying every other big-winged TIE Fighter from 2005 until now. Also the last TIE Pilot I bought was in 2004. So this new version doesn't feel like yet another rehash with only minor improvements, it feels like a completely new toy. And technically it is since I don't think anything has survived from the vintage version (with the possible exception of the wing release buttons).

Even the Jangohead on the Pilot doesn't bother me. Although I did snip off that extra belt with the holster almost immediately.

morpheus282
01-13-2010, 08:58 PM
So, Morph, did you bid against BB? I have had that in the past, bidding against fellow forumites. :D

Not this time. I was bidding on another TIE from the same seller though.

Opened mine tonight, and I have to admit that it's spectacular. It's not as grey as I'd hoped but it looks good with my grey TIE bomber. I'm seriously considering the TIE interceptor from TRU now. One thing to keep in mind, I had to call three stores before I found it and I got the last one at store #3. I was told by one store that the item had been discontinued and would not be restocked. If you want it, you better go and get it.

AmanaMatt
01-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Another reason I love this TIE: the box is much more collector friendly (space wise) that previous releases.

I've owned the Tie Inceptor and this Tie Fighter for a little while now, and my admiration for these two vehicles just increases.....I am incredibly happy with how these turned out...so much so, I am getting rid of all prior Tie(s).......

JediTricks
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
It was tough to do, but now I'm glad that I resisted buying every other big-winged TIE Fighter from 2005 until now. Also the last TIE Pilot I bought was in 2004. So this new version doesn't feel like yet another rehash with only minor improvements, it feels like a completely new toy. And technically it is since I don't think anything has survived from the vintage version (with the possible exception of the wing release buttons).Nope, even the wing-eject buttons are a new design to correspond better to the new pod shape. I had it in hand with the Rebel TIE I also got for xmas and was glad to see the new buttons are sharper and with less gaps around them.

Even the Jangohead on the Pilot doesn't bother me. Although I did snip off that extra belt with the holster almost immediately.

Not this time. I was bidding on another TIE from the same seller though.

Opened mine tonight, and I have to admit that it's spectacular. It's not as grey as I'd hoped but it looks good with my grey TIE bomber. I'm seriously considering the TIE interceptor from TRU now. One thing to keep in mind, I had to call three stores before I found it and I got the last one at store #3. I was told by one store that the item had been discontinued and would not be restocked. If you want it, you better go and get it.All exclusives are technically "discontinued" like that because Hasbro and the retailer make an agreement for a pre-determined run size, and Hasbro sells them the run up front, so there's never later ordering coming. Surprised it was hard for you to find though, I guess these are selling through.

As for the gray color, did my assessment a few weeks ago in response to your question prove accurate? http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=711275#post711275

Another reason I love this TIE: the box is much more collector friendly (space wise) that previous releases.

I've owned the Tie Inceptor and this Tie Fighter for a little while now, and my admiration for these two vehicles just increases.....I am incredibly happy with how these turned out...so much so, I am getting rid of all prior Tie(s).......This TIE is the first one I don't want to leave in box though, I want to hang it somewhere, but it won't be as whooshable if I string it up.

I've been considering getting the TIE Interceptor and swapping its pod out with the original big wing blue TIE Fighter, but that'd leave me with a $50 old TIE Interceptor again and I just can't pull that trigger.

morpheus282
01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
As for the gray color, did my assessment a few weeks ago in response to your question prove accurate?

For the most part, but the pictures you linked to gave me a great idea of how it was really going to look. Based on the Comic Con presentation I thought it was going to be blindingly white with a dark red window. The muted off-white (eggshell? ecru? mother of pearl?) with a mild red tint to the window really looks good compared to what I was originally expecting.

JediTricks
01-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Alright, good to know.

Comparing it to the images from Comic-Con, I'm not seeing a huge difference, the slide's lack of contrast makes it seem more gray to me actually:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/qa-panel/p32273-hasbro-panel.html
And the one in the booth appears close to the production version:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/exclusives/p32573-hasbro.html

morpheus282
01-15-2010, 09:10 PM
The front glass in the slide looks much darker, I'd have to pass on it if it were actually that red. The slide actually looks much whiter to me, so much that I really didn't like it when I saw it. The booth picture is more accurate, but I still think the glass is too red compared to the one I have. The pics at rebel scum seem to be right on the money.

wawe1
01-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Just got the Target Exclusive TIE Fighter w/ Realistic Cockpit Design on CLEARANCE for $27.98 in Fairfield, NJ. Clifton Target has not marked it down yet. GOOD LUCK!

morpheus282
01-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I think I got the last one in this area, even though they were showing as in stock in store on the website. If I had more room and ran across one at that clearance price, I'd get it. Now that I've seen the quality of the new cockpit module first hand, I'm waiting on TRU to mark down the interceptor. I just don't see paying $50 for that one.

TheDarthVader
01-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Just got the Target Exclusive TIE Fighter w/ Realistic Cockpit Design on CLEARANCE for $27.98 in Fairfield, NJ. Clifton Target has not marked it down yet. GOOD LUCK!

Can you get me one and ship it to me loose? :D

morpheus282
01-17-2010, 09:32 AM
The way it's packaged you'd be better off not shipping loose. I don't think there's much wasted space in the box.

El Chuxter
01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm a bit behind, but, JT, I actually agree with you that the core vehicles should be more available than they are now. Why can't certain ships (perhaps a rotating group) be available at retail each year, while all major (TIEs, not T-47's) vehicles are available online, perhaps for slightly more and/or in different packaging?

I really don't want to seem like I'm faulting the current TIE for the previous versions, but, fact is, I have (and a lot of other people are in the same boat) a lot of older TIEs. I'll gladly get one when it's perfect, but the red color scheme is "wrong" in my book. Even if it takes a couple of years, it will happen. I'll snatch one up then.

Oh, and, once again, making slight improvements one at a time over several years is, whether intentional or not, improving the vehicle in a piecemeal fashion. :p

morpheus282
01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Stopped by my local Target today, the same one that said they were out of TIEs last week. They now have 7 of them and they're marked down to $27. :mad:

nohagent
01-21-2010, 02:40 AM
I had been watching the Tie Fighters at me local Targets, as soon as they went clearance the boxes also all got damaged. So strange. Looks almost like Target or hasbro doesnt want you to get a near mint box if only paying clearance prices. At least 30 of them like this.

mtriv73
01-21-2010, 09:29 AM
I picked one up yesterday for $28 and all the boxes were damaged at my store as well. I don't think this is any conspiracy on the part of hasbro or target, I just think stuff happens when items have been on the shelf too long or have been moved around the store a lot. Anyway, I really couldn't care less as I'll be opening it as soon as my wife isn't looking.:ninja:

bigbarada
01-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, the box is made of a thinner material which is most likely to cut costs. If you are a MIP collector, then you probably should have bought this when it was newly released. The longer it sits on the store shelves the more likely it is to get damaged.

Even if it is the case that someone is deliberately damaging the boxes. I would probably chalk that up to one careless employee rather than some ridiculous conspiracy theory involving Target or Hasbro. :rolleyes:

Darth Jax
01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
most of the ones i saw at retail had dinged and damaged corners long before they got clearanced (which finally happened yesterday). now that it's down to $28 i'm considering getting another one. what stops me is if i'm patient and can wait it'll be released in other coloration within 18 months. what makes me want to get it now is that in 18 months it'll probably be $65 at retail.

JediTricks
01-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Stopped by my local Target today, the same one that said they were out of TIEs last week. They now have 7 of them and they're marked down to $27. :mad:
They were probably sent in from other stores with weaker toy sales. If you bought yours in the last 90 days and have the receipt (or paid with a card), they may refund you the difference.

Those comments afterwards about damaged packaging sounds like "repack" to me.

morpheus282
01-22-2010, 08:09 AM
My guess is that they were moved from the shelf to the back room for markdown and the stock person I talked to didn't want to look for them even though the computer showed them in stock.

amberbratt
01-30-2010, 03:51 AM
Hi I am a long time fan of star wars.. I love chewbacca and the ewoks.. and Have TONS of stuff.. I remember when this website was BLACK AND PURPLE and only had photos of the figs.. lol...

I live in the san fran bay... today i was able to find 7 of the Target TIE fighters for 9.98..

I miss collecting SW but it got to difficult to keep up (but i still love to the classic trilogy).. I even have that ENORMUS millenium falcon..

I was just wondering... what is the dif from the TRU TIE FIGHTER i saw 6 months ago? is this the same vehicle? were there any tie interceptors with the point wings? or a tie bomber in this size?

I have most of the old POTF vehicles and what have u but these are to awesome to pass up.. (I also got a rancor for 25$) and now i have the tribal rancor and this new one..)

i'd like to get a sandcrawler some day.. and I have like 20 banthas from back in the day also...

I am on facebook if anyone wants to talk about SW...

(by the way i am not keeping all 7, i wanted 2 and i bought 2 for a friend... if he doesn't want more than that I might be able to trade these.. for what I have no idea! but maybe something?

talk to you soon

Thank you

amber

Snowtrooper
01-30-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure what color that one was, but the new one has the same solar panels and an all new pod. The new pod is much more accurate than the old one, which was basically the vintage one. The panels stay locked in tighter, the interior is really nicely done, it has a removeable seat which keeps the pilot from falling out, and the hatch is improved. It also has red tinted windows, but they aren't too garish and look just fine IMO. Thats about the only differences I can think of right off.

El Chuxter
01-30-2010, 10:36 PM
No such luck in the Coachella Valley. The stores that had them on clearance last week were sold out. One store had a carpload, but still at full price. :eek:

TheDarthVader
01-31-2010, 05:51 PM
they are still full price here in northeast texas. i have been waiting for them to go on clearance for about 3 weeks :(

El Chuxter
01-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Found them at another Target... still at $40. :(

Darth Jax
01-31-2010, 09:23 PM
either gone from targets around here, or still on the shelves at full price also.

nohagent
01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
got the last one at the $9 price at our bayfair target, went down the road 5 minutes to the hayward target and they had about 17 of em at $40 still

nohagent
01-31-2010, 10:34 PM
I am in the SF Bay also, what is you facebook info?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Have you guys been scanning the UPC codes to see the price? It's possible that they've been put on sale but not marked as such. I heard several reports of some of the other exclusives being marked down this way, so it's at least worth a shot.

Old Fossil
02-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Gentlemen,

I got one tonight for $27, the last one my local Target had. It's the only 'big-wing' TIE I've gotten, and it is superb!:thumbsup:

amberbratt
02-06-2010, 11:41 PM
yeah the 7 i got for 10$ was pretty dang cool!

I help out 3 friends with them and kept 2 for me..

1 friend took 2
1 friend took 2 more
1 friend wanted 1

I kept 2!

Maybe i will get lucky and find more! if i do then i can help out more people :D

Old Fossil
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the forums, amberbratt.:)

Is there a trick to removing the "removable" seat? And is there a trick to extending the cannons? I recall the back of the box (I threw it out already) stating that you could do both with this vehicle. Mine doesn't seem to be able to, and I'm worried about breaking it if I try too hard.

morpheus282
02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
My seat pops out without much issue, but I can't get the guns to extend without putting what I feel is too much force on them. If there's not a trick, I'm not going to bother pulling them out. I still remember getting my first C-3P0 in ~'78 and wondering why his joints wouldn't move. After forcing them free he never stood again.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the forums, amberbratt.:)

Is there a trick to removing the "removable" seat? And is there a trick to extending the cannons? I recall the back of the box (I threw it out already) stating that you could do both with this vehicle. Mine doesn't seem to be able to, and I'm worried about breaking it if I try too hard.
The seat is connected in there fairly well, so a bit of force is required to get it out the first time. You can then kind of rest it back in there should you want to get it out more easily next time.

The cannons might stick a little bit, but there shouldn't be a real problem with getting them out.

Ando
02-08-2010, 11:36 AM
These were down to $20.00 each as of yesterday at the two Targets I visited.

JediTricks
02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
The seat is connected in there fairly well, so a bit of force is required to get it out the first time. You can then kind of rest it back in there should you want to get it out more easily next time.

The cannons might stick a little bit, but there shouldn't be a real problem with getting them out.
Same here with mine, the cannons move ok, the seat was tough at first.

TheDarthVader
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I finally bought two at $20! :D My patience paid off, and I am so happy.

Old Fossil
02-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Same here with mine, the cannons move ok, the seat was tough at first.

My seat pops out without much issue, but I can't get the guns to extend without putting what I feel is too much force on them. If there's not a trick, I'm not going to bother pulling them out. I still remember getting my first C-3P0 in ~'78 and wondering why his joints wouldn't move. After forcing them free he never stood again.

Thanks for the input, friends. I think I'll just leave the seat and cannons be for now. I hung the TIE up, anyway.

Sorry about your vintage Threepio, Morpheus. Maybe you should write Hasbro a letter, since they took over the brand, and ask for a replacement. I wonder what would happen.:laugh:

morpheus282
02-08-2010, 07:13 PM
No worries, the removable limb version three years later became my favorite and the original became a landspeeder crash test dummy.

Besides, back then it wasn't vintage - it was just a toy. I think I still have it around here somewhere...

Maerj2000
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
My 2 local Targets didn't have any of the TIE Fighters at all. When I did see them, they were full price. Same with the Wal Mart AT-STs. The Octuptarra Droids were $19.