PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS FOR HASBRO - round 69

JediTricks
05-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Please post your VOTE for up to 6 {six} of the questions provided in this thread, letting us know which ones you most want to see asked on Friday, June 12th. Keep in mind that your votes in round 68 do not count in this round, so if your question is still on the list you may want to vote for it again.

Also, feel free to post new questions. For reference, here are Hasbro's answers to previous SSG questions (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1934); and from other sites (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1936). The questions we asked last round can be found here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=679370#post679370).

Current questions (vote for up to 6):

- In Hasbro's awesome Comic-Packs line, we've been treated to Marvel Star Wars issues 1-4, and Dark Horse Revenge of the Sith issues 1, 3, and 4. Any chance we could get comic packs of the missing Marvel SW #5 and 6, and Dark Horse ROTS #2, to complete their respective tales? (Just spitballing ideas: we could certainly do with a Leia/3PO pack for MSW#5 and perhaps a Rebel/Imperial Pilot set for #6, and ROTS #2 could use Grievous and a new deco Clone.) And what about Comic Packs for the other movie adaptation comics like Marvel ESB and ROTJ, or Dark Horse TPM and AOTC?
- In the Clone Wars line, a few scale issues have come up. Obi-Wan and Anakin figures stand pretty short compared to their non-animated figure counterparts, while Clone Troopers stand unusually tall compared to their non-animated counterparts, and obviously this means CW Obi-Wan and Anakin stand pretty short compared to the Clones. What gives here? Was this an intentional choice, and if so, why?
- Why are the Droid Factory build-a-droid parts for C-3PX incompatible with the basic figures' build-a-droid parts, especially the other protocol droids like RA7's? 3PX has a ball joint for his head while RA7 has a post, and the pegs for the arms and legs also differ, thus making it impossible to mix-n-match parts, which the concept had otherwise highly adopted. Was this done on purpose, and if so, why?
- Does Hasbro have any plans to update the Dianoga in the near future? We need one that is better detailed, better articulated and perhaps featuring multiple bendy tentacles. If you were to update the Dianoga, what format would you release it in: Battle Pack, a basic carded figure, Ultimate Battle Pack, something else?
- This might seem like an odd request, but could you re-issue the old Kenner X-wing, specifically the POTF2 version, with some modifications? There's no X-wing at kid pricing anymore, the only OT vehicles at the Starfighter pricepoint are lonely TIEs with nobody to fight, and that classic X-wing had some decent sculpting, strong wings, and is fun to whoosh about. As well, the POTF2 version had a pretty decent deco (though pre-applied stickers would be nice), and that version also had the best sound effects in any X-wing (aside from the Power FX X-wing, but the sacrifices there are numerous), those sounds alone would sell another batch to collectors. The set could use a tune-up on the cockpit interior, the canopy exterior, the dedicated R2-D2, and the blaster tips need to be reoriented to the proper upright position. Don't you think the kids today deserve an awesome X-wing fighter?
- In a recent Q&A, you mentioned that "[Hasbro] will continue working with Sideshow on their 12" figure program." As we know, Sideshow sub-licenses their 12" Star Wars through Hasbro's Star Wars license, but the intricacies of this relationship are not fully understood. With your recent comment above, collectors are ever more curious as to how exactly Hasbro and Sideshow work together on that 12" figure line. What types of input does Hasbro have into the Star Wars items that Sideshow produces?
- Beyond Star Wars, many other franchises have tried their hand at Titanium Series - Battlestar Galactica, Indiana Jones, Marvel, Transformers, even Stargate was floated as being in some level of planning - yet they all eventually faded away from Titanium Series' light. What lessons has the Titanium Series team taken away from those other licenses' lines and their passings? For example, you put off the wave with the BSG Basestar and couldn't find a slot for this new tooling before the license ran out, yet you released a Starbuck repaint of the Viper mk 2 at theproverbial 11th hour (and didn't hit shelves until the 13th hour), an unusual distinction which fans don't really understand, and could use more behind-the-scenes insight into - why didn't that Basestar tooling get shoehorned into a later wave before the license with Universal ran out? Why release a repaint vehicle that won't satisfy fans as much, rather than an all-new mold which fans have been clamoring for?
- Regarding the future of Star Wars Mighty Muggs, what wave will be the final one at retail before the line becomes a TRU exclusive? Will some sought-after previous entries like Leia and the Stormtrooper be re-released? For Entertainment Earth's shared exclusives, who will they be sharing those with?
- Does Hasbro have access to the old Kenner Droids line's vehicle molds, the Side Gunner, ATL Interceptor, perhaps even the infamously never released White Witch? Will there be any chance to see these given new life and released under Hasbro one day?
- What was the decision making process behind creating a Jabba the Hutt animated figure instead of a Ziro the Hutt figure? Ziro has appeared in the Clone Wars series more than Jabba so far, and his animated behavior fits the Clone Wars animated series better than Jabba. Was it merely the character recognizability of Jabba, or the fact that you had existing accessories for him, or was the idea of an evil Truman Capote Hutt just too out there for ya?
- A recent disassembly of your Titanium Series V-19 Starfighter led to the surprising discovery of a detailed cockpit underneath the opaque yellow canopy. Why was this item released with the opaque canopy rather than a transparent one which would have shown off the detailing underneath? You guys are paying to design, sculpt, and tool up that interior, so why hide it? Will this be addressed in some sort of re-release before the line's end?
- Understanding that it's still too far away to talk about and that plans could always change, with the upcoming live-action TV show on the horizon to again boost interest in Star Wars collecting, would Hasbro release those figures as their own separate line, or would they be integrated into an overall line such as the Saga series?
- On the Toy Fair slideshow image for the Walmart Droid Factory 2-packs, the Boba Fett shown with BL-17 doesn't appear to have the chest emblem on his armor, just like the majority of the Evolutions Boba Fett on which this figure is based. Was this merely a photography issue, will the final version of the Droid Factory Boba Fett be sporting the proper chest emblem tampo, or is the missing emblem to be expected on this set?
- Hasbro has had a long history of packing new figures or improved sculpts in various multipacks with re-released figures. This essentially makes longtime collectors choose between re-purchasing figures they may have multiple times already (Vader and Han Solo are notable repeat offenders), or completely miss out on the new figures in the sets. This has, unfortunately, caused many unscrupulous collectors to purchase the sets, remove the figures or accessories they want, replace them with older, less desirable figures, and return them to the store for full credit. Though honest collectors will bring this to the attention of store management, many times the tampered-with items are back on the shelf the next day for whatever reason. Though we understand the business sense behind offering the new with the old, the practice of figure-swapping-to-return theft is steadily on the rise and far less rare than it should be, while employees are less able or diligent to keep that tampered product off their shelves. Isn't there anything you can do to potentially slow the problem, both the initial swapping and the employees re-stocking the tampered items after it's been brought to their attention?
- As the first generation of TLC and Clone Wars packaging nears the end of its run, we are noticing smaller amounts of new waves hitting local stores, and odd case assortments in those waves and their revisions. The ESB wave seems to be trickling in very slowly, with many collectors not having seen it "in the wild". The AOTC wave has appeared online, but still not in stores as of June. Clone Wars wave 5 has appeared in short supply and with a case assortment that still only includes 1 of each new figure, padding shelves with existing figures that aren't in short supply and don't seem to need significant restocking, while ensuring new figures get choked out, and it seems to be continuing for the next few CW and TLC waves (we understand the Hasbro argument about not having enough new product manufacturing volume for a wave, but there seem to be less revisions to address that, and more figures not moving fast enough to make way). While we understand that there is always a retailer reset of the lines with new packaging, a holding of the breath, it seems like this year it's been a longer-term problem and many collectors are growing frustrated with the scarcity of newer figures. Are there other reasons behind the lack of new figures on shelves, is there a remedy for it before the new packaging comes in?
- Recently, pictures of the TPM wave surfaced online, and they seem to be of final production samples. We've seen a trend in the last few years of deco work becoming steadily weaker and weaker, with the Gungan Warrior sporting a particularly weak deco. On all previous Gungans, the colored parts of the arms have been detailed and accurate to the film and the different colors on the face have blended together well; on this new version, the paint seems sloppy, with no details on the arms and a stark contrast between the dark and light colors. While we understand that you've cut back on weathering and other details due to cost issues, this Gungan seems a bit much. Will we continue to see increasingly poor paint applications as the line continues, is there too much budget given to articulation at the expense of deco, and if so, what reasons are behind these issues? Will the line's deco get cheaper and more toyetic as the prices increase due to ever-tightening budgetary issues?
- The upcoming Geonosis Assault battle pack (the one with 2 pilots and a newly-scaled Gunship ball turret), we have a couple purchase-potential questions. First off, we haven't seen any images yet of the turrets attached to the Gunship toy. While we imagine it works using the hinge from the mini-turrets we got with the Saga pilot figure, there's no actual view of how this all works out together, so for collectors to arm up with these new turrets, they'll need to buy 2 sets before even seeing it in action. Is there a way we could get a photo of the new turret attached to a Gunship to give collectors an idea of how it'll look before they have to decide whether or not to plunk down $50+ on 2 sets? Also, while this set will work well for AOTC and Clone Wars gunships since those all feature the Phase I clonetrooper armor and the pilots that come in this battle pack are in that style, for a ROTS era Gunship, the pilots in this set won't be accurate to the ROTS Phase II armor design. With that in mind, will Hasbro be likely to re-release the turret in the future with ROTC clones or ARC pilots? This would be important to know so fans can decide whether or not to stock up on this set now or wait for possible re-releases with different clones.

Vote now, and suggest new questions too. Thanks for participating!

JediTricks
05-21-2009, 03:36 AM
By the way, I didn't realize it at the time, but I believe we passed our 400th answer in the last round. That's amazing!

Darth Windu
05-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Hey JT, question for ya. I noticed that last round we submitted 6 questions, but the last lot of answers Hasbro gave us were only to 3 questions though I'm sure we submitted more for that round too. What gives?

sebillba
05-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Hey JT, question for ya. I noticed that last round we submitted 6 questions, but the last lot of answers Hasbro gave us were only to 3 questions though I'm sure we submitted more for that round too. What gives?

Seeing as JT's offline, I'll answer on his behalf.... we send in 6 of our questions every month, but only 3 of these are via SSG - the other 3 get answered through another of SirSteve's sites: CollectionStation.com.

Darth Windu
05-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Oooooh I didn't realise that. Thanks :)

obi-dad
05-21-2009, 09:46 AM
obi-dad
5, 9 & 12 (my reply was too short, so I was requested to use some filler to make it longer. The reply "5, 9 & 12" is in reference to the questions I am voting for. I believed this to be obvious, but I am stating it here so there is no confusion. this is a land of confusion. This is the world we live in. And these are the hands we're given. I'm lending a hand and casting a vote. A vote for 3 entries because none of the others interest me much and I don't want one of my votes to help elivate a question I don't care as much about above one of these three, given that one of these quesions was posed by me months ago. Ok, I believe this is long enough, so I am going to try to post again).

Generally people just say "5, 9 & 12 ..." or something to fill up the minimum 10 chars. In fact, if you had included another comma, that would have got you to the minimum.

I probably shoulda added a smiley, but if it wasn't obvious, I was being a little smart#$$ since I had to add another character anyway... I mean, it even says the minimum length is 10 characters. But, I assume JT got it since he added the smiley. Now, why I feel this warrants bringing up, I have no clue.

NerfTW
05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, now that you've quoted it here, I can respond and say that I LOLed. Loudly. lol

obi-dad
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, now that you've quoted it here, I can respond and say that I LOLed. Loudly. lol

Well, as long as one person appreciated it, I'm good! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
(This is an issue that affects multiple lines; I've noticed it in GIJoe and Star Wars. I dunno if you'd want to mention that.)

Sometimes, figures come with accessories that are very small, the purpose of which aren't immediately obvious, or require assembly without instructions. A couple of recent examples include the Jawa/Treadwell Droid set, which contains several tiny pieces that are separate in the package, and the Spacetrooper, whose cannon's "handle" can easily be separated from the cannon when removing the figure from the packaging. Hasbro figures no longer come with instructions for assembly, and, in the case with Star Wars figures, there is no photo on the packaging that's large enough to use as reference. Since the packaging is individualized anyway, could future figures with small parts or assembly required have brief instructions or reference photos on the cardback? (Collectors know where to go online to find photos. Kids most likely do not.)

Darth Windu
05-23-2009, 10:48 PM
New question (and by all means add more variety to spice it up a bit):

Dear Hasbro,

In recent Q&A sessions you've stated that there are a few lines in the Star Wars brand, such as the Titanium Series and Mighty Muggs to name two, that are mostly collector driven rather than being driven by kids.

With that basis, does Hasbro have any plans to collaborate with the communities for collector-driven lines in order to find out what the collectors actually want? To use an example, Titanium collectors keep asking about Capital Ships, yet we're constantly told by Hasbro that we didn't actually want them. This seems to be counter-productive for all sides, as the collectors miss out on what they want, and the line will inevitably suffer.

Bib Un-Fortuna
05-26-2009, 01:06 PM
So far, only voting for 10 & 14. I'm trying to work in a new question - any help would be appreciated.

Dear Hasbro: As the 2008 packaging nears the end of its run, we are beginning to notice what appears to be smaller amounts of the new waves hitting the local stores, and odd case assortments in those waves. The ESB wave of The Legacy Collection seems to be tricking in very slowly, with many people having never seen this wave "in the wild." The AotC wave has appeared in the Hasbro Toy Shop, but has yet to be seen in stores as of this date.

In addition, the last Clone Wars wave - wave 5 - has appeared in short supply and with a case assortment which includes only 1 of each new figure! This pattern seems to be holding true for the next 2 Clone Wars waves, as well as future TLC waves, which means a dearth of truly "new" figures on the shelves.

While we do understand that there is a re-set of the lines with the new packaging, many collectors and fans are becoming frustrated with the scarcity of the newer waves. Is there a reason behind this paucity of new figures on the shelves, and is there a remedy for it before the new packaging debuts?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-26-2009, 08:34 PM
How about another one:

*Recently, pictures of the Phantom Menace wave surfaced online, and they seem to be of final production samples. We've seen a trend in the last few years of paintjobs becoming steadily worse and worse, with the Gungan Warrior sporting a particularly crappy job according to these pictures. On all previous Gungans, the colored parts of the arms have been detailed and accurate to the film and the different colors on the face have blended together well; on this new version, the paint seems sloppy, with no details on the arms and a stark contrast between the dark and light colors. While we understand that you've cut back on battle damage and other details due to cost issues, this seems a little ridiculous. Will the final version look better, or will we continue to see increasingly poor paint applications in the future?

Ando
05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
5, 9, & 14.

Plus a new question:

"Dear Hasbro,

Last year rumors and eventually pictures of the BMF leaked onto various collector sites "spoiling" what could have possibly been a bigger surprise for SDCC 2008.

Does Hasbro prefer to keep the lid on surprises until the last possible minute (i.e. preview night)? Or are the leaks somewhat "managed" by Hasbro so that the buzz and excitement can build for the release of the product and so that fans can start saving in anticipation of the next exciting product like I am sure a lot of fans did for the BMF?

With the release of information + pictures on the Clone Wars Turbo at Toy Fair, and the promise of even MORE wonderful surprises at SDCC 2009 and in light of the BMF spoiler from last year, will Hasbro be taking extra precautions to keep things under wraps until closer to SDCC 2009 or even possibly right up until the show itself?"

Reword/rework as needed. I think the gist of what I am asking is relatively obvious.

sebillba
05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
How about another one:

*Recently, pictures of the Phantom Menace wave surfaced online, and they seem to be of final production samples. We've seen a trend in the last few years of paintjobs becoming steadily worse and worse, with the Gungan Warrior sporting a particularly crappy job according to these pictures. On all previous Gungans, the colored parts of the arms have been detailed and accurate to the film and the different colors on the face have blended together well; on this new version, the paint seems sloppy, with no details on the arms and a stark contrast between the dark and light colors. While we understand that you've cut back on battle damage and other details due to cost issues, this seems a little ridiculous. Will the final version look better, or will we continue to see increasingly poor paint applications in the future?

I second this one. I was comparing this new pic to my old gungan figures the other day, and if this is indeed the final product, then the deco is very poor, especially when compared to figures produced 10 years ago. It seems all the budget is being pumped into articulation, at the expense of quality detail.

Darth Marco
05-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I will vote for 10,12, and 14.

All I want to know is when the ESB Wave# 6 is coming to retail stores in New York City. On-line they have them on stock but I have gone to every Toy'R'Us, Target, and Walmart in NYC. Still I have not seen that wave or seen the Rancor in the Targets in my Tri-State area. In Walmart I never seen the exclusive comic packs. I usually go with my family every weekend and I don't see anything just rereleases of the first waves of the TLC. Maybe I am in a bad area that the new products have not reach there or other possiblities but there has to be a reason.

NerfTW
05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
*edit* Oh my god I'm an idiot today. ESB is NOT AOTC. Duuuuur.

But still, the turn-around time on these questions is way too long for asking about upcoming release dates, and the answer is always "We have no set release dates, and once it enters the store's distribution centers, it's out of our hands".

Darth Marco
05-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Who are you responding too NerfTW? Hope it's not me, because I'm the only one talking about ESB Wave #6. BIGBADTOYSTORE is numbering the ESB wave as number 6. That wave was suppose to be out in March or April and on-line has it in stock in May. EntertainmentEarth has the ESB as wave# 6. Another on-line store is BriansToys has the ESB wave also as wave#6. Calling yourself an idiot is lowering your self-esteem, you should not do that. Another thing ESB is not AOTC, everybody should know that, I hope you do. My statement is if they are out why not in my area in New York City or the Tri-State, are there delays in distribution in my area?

NerfTW
05-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Oh, I deleted my first line instead of the usual strikethrough. My first line originally said that "They aren't out yet, that's a pre-order". Which I then realized I was thinking of the AOTC wave and not the current ESB, which I haven't seen in the New York area either.

I was having a dumb moment.

Darth Marco
05-28-2009, 08:39 AM
NertTW, Sorry if I came out too strong. Just that I get frustrated hearing that other people are buying this wave in the same retail stores in other parts of the USA. Just don't understand how these big retail stores distribute the Star Wars action figures.

NerfTW
05-28-2009, 08:44 AM
I didn't think you were. I thought you were just really, really confused at my edit. :yes:

Cane_Adiss
06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Still no sign of the ESB wave in NE Pennsylvania either. It took a couple weeks longer for the ANH wave to hit, and once it did it went pretty quick. We've been recieving a glut of old CW and Saga Legends, plus some of the refreshed ANH cases w/o the aliens. Everythings moving pretty well, and it's interesting that the Spacetrooper tends to stick around quite a bit longer now. The Legends Snowtrooper is pretty scarce, as is X-wing Luke and the CW Kit Fisto. Saesee Tiin is starting to pile up, and I wonder what Hasbro's motivation is for including Tiin in the Legends line? He was a pegwarmer in every line he's been released in. And I don't think he's in the new show.

Anyway, new question:

Hasbro has stated that the various "Senator" type characters, and some of the more obscure "niche" characters appearing in the films appeal to only a small devoted collector base. According to Hasbro, sales of the Legacy line seem to have suffered due in part to too many of these obscure characters being widely released at once. That being said, would Hasbro consider releasing themed "Collector Packs" that would include several of these fan-requested and collector-driven characters as online exclusives directly to the collector market, similar to the Lucas Family set awhile back? Characters that collectors have voiced a desire for, but that may translate into tough sells as Yarna seems to have. Sets like these may be the best way to get other obscure females and "dancer" characters with little kid appeal such as Jess, Leesub Sirln, the Gella twins, Mara Jade as Arica, Laudica, Eeusu Estornii and the Mon Calamaris from ROTS into collector hands without risking clogged pegs and slower basic figure sales.

DarkJedi5
06-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't believe we've seen any pics of a gunship with the upcoming ball turrets attached. I for one am curious to see what this all would look like and also how the turrets attach to the gunship. I imagine it's more or less the same as the mini-turrets we got in the Saga line but again, I'd like some pics. It seems to me we rarely ask to see pics of upcoming product (especially with comic-con right around the corner) but this is one I'd really like to see before I run out and buy four sets to arm my two gunships.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't believe we've seen any pics of a gunship with the upcoming ball turrets attached. I for one am curious to see what this all would look like and also how the turrets attach to the gunship. I imagine it's more or less the same as the mini-turrets we got in the Saga line but again, I'd like some pics. It seems to me we rarely ask to see pics of upcoming product (especially with comic-con right around the corner) but this is one I'd really like to see before I run out and buy four sets to arm my two gunships.
If this is asked, then I would also like to add this, or ask it separately:

*The upcoming Geonosis Assault battle pack will no doubt work well for the Republic gunships released in 2002 and 2003, since those were based on AOTC and early-era Clone Wars material. However, should fans want to outfit later gunships - including the ROTS and Clone Wars micro-series versions - the pilots will not be accurate for the given ship. So, will we see the turret re-released with ROTS clones or ARC pilots? That would be important to know so fans would know whether to stock up on these sets now or wait for possible re-releases with different clones.

Ando
06-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Both are good questions and I will vote for them if/when they get added.

It'd be really cool to see these turrets attached to the new version of the gunship at Comic Con next month in order to show what they will look like when attached AND to show off the two new exclusives that are (purportedly) forthcoming... At least that's how I'd do it if I was running things.

JediTricks
06-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Questions 15 - 17 added.

First off, let me thank you guys for your patience with this round. I've been alternately sick and then busy and haven't had the time to take care of this Q&A stuff until now.

I probably shoulda added a smiley, but if it wasn't obvious, I was being a little smart#$$ since I had to add another character anyway... I mean, it even says the minimum length is 10 characters. But, I assume JT got it since he added the smiley. Now, why I feel this warrants bringing up, I have no clue.No, I knew, I was being equally smartassed. :p As for why you brought it up, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Mwa ha ha, Mister Bond! ;)

(This is an issue that affects multiple lines; I've noticed it in GIJoe and Star Wars. I dunno if you'd want to mention that.)Since these questions are for the Hasbro SW team specifically, I usually don't mention cross-line problems because there's nothing they can do or even say to another brand's behavior. But there are times when it does work, so let's see what ya got...

Sometimes, figures come with accessories that are very small, the purpose of which aren't immediately obvious, or require assembly without instructions. A couple of recent examples include the Jawa/Treadwell Droid set, which contains several tiny pieces that are separate in the package, and the Spacetrooper, whose cannon's "handle" can easily be separated from the cannon when removing the figure from the packaging. Hasbro figures no longer come with instructions for assembly, and, in the case with Star Wars figures, there is no photo on the packaging that's large enough to use as reference. Since the packaging is individualized anyway, could future figures with small parts or assembly required have brief instructions or reference photos on the cardback? (Collectors know where to go online to find photos. Kids most likely do not.)I'll grant you the Treadwell droid, that one is definitely going in. I'm not as sold with the space trooper's cannon handle though, it's not as strong a reference. Can you think of another recent SW example? And as for company-wide, I'm on the fence, let's see your other example to see how strong it is before we go there. Basically, I want to make sure they understand AND I don't want them to only address the WED droid. But I will add this question, I just want it to be stronger before I put it up because if I add it now, you won't probably come back and help make it stronger. :p

New question (and by all means add more variety to spice it up a bit):

Dear Hasbro,

In recent Q&A sessions you've stated that there are a few lines in the Star Wars brand, such as the Titanium Series and Mighty Muggs to name two, that are mostly collector driven rather than being driven by kids.

With that basis, does Hasbro have any plans to collaborate with the communities for collector-driven lines in order to find out what the collectors actually want? To use an example, Titanium collectors keep asking about Capital Ships, yet we're constantly told by Hasbro that we didn't actually want them. This seems to be counter-productive for all sides, as the collectors miss out on what they want, and the line will inevitably suffer.Well, with the capital ships, they actually said they weren't the best-looking items, it wasn't that we didn't want them. Also, they've been asked similar stuff in the past and given the answer of "we read the forums and keep our ears to the ground" type material. Also, on a personal level, I think the collectors often say things they think they want but don't support, or make contrary claims where they don't really know what they want. Think we can bulletproof against that?

So far, only voting for 10 & 14. I'm trying to work in a new question - any help would be appreciated.

Dear Hasbro: As the 2008 packaging nears the end of its run, we are beginning to notice what appears to be smaller amounts of the new waves hitting the local stores, and odd case assortments in those waves. The ESB wave of The Legacy Collection seems to be tricking in very slowly, with many people having never seen this wave "in the wild." The AotC wave has appeared in the Hasbro Toy Shop, but has yet to be seen in stores as of this date.

In addition, the last Clone Wars wave - wave 5 - has appeared in short supply and with a case assortment which includes only 1 of each new figure! This pattern seems to be holding true for the next 2 Clone Wars waves, as well as future TLC waves, which means a dearth of truly "new" figures on the shelves.

While we do understand that there is a re-set of the lines with the new packaging, many collectors and fans are becoming frustrated with the scarcity of the newer waves. Is there a reason behind this paucity of new figures on the shelves, and is there a remedy for it before the new packaging debuts?
Ok, so the Clone Wars thing is a little tough to include because if you look at the next 2 waves you see that they're playing the standard Hasbro game of "we can't make enough in their wave so we're including in the next wave", that's how they referesh something like the wave 5 green clone, they put it in wave 6 as well.
I am not entirely confident they'll give us a response we can use, I expect more of the same platitudes and excuses since they are consistent, but this year has been a mess and I do want them to address that, so I've added the question and counted your vote for it.

How about another one:

*Recently, pictures of the Phantom Menace wave surfaced online, and they seem to be of final production samples. We've seen a trend in the last few years of paintjobs becoming steadily worse and worse, with the Gungan Warrior sporting a particularly crappy job according to these pictures. On all previous Gungans, the colored parts of the arms have been detailed and accurate to the film and the different colors on the face have blended together well; on this new version, the paint seems sloppy, with no details on the arms and a stark contrast between the dark and light colors. While we understand that you've cut back on battle damage and other details due to cost issues, this seems a little ridiculous. Will the final version look better, or will we continue to see increasingly poor paint applications in the future?I've added it, but I think we all know the answer, I ended up unintentionally writing it into the question on my edit even, "budgetary problems". Each wave will be budgeted as best they can, but the belts are tightening.

Plus a new question:

"Dear Hasbro,

Last year rumors and eventually pictures of the BMF leaked onto various collector sites "spoiling" what could have possibly been a bigger surprise for SDCC 2008.

Does Hasbro prefer to keep the lid on surprises until the last possible minute (i.e. preview night)? Or are the leaks somewhat "managed" by Hasbro so that the buzz and excitement can build for the release of the product and so that fans can start saving in anticipation of the next exciting product like I am sure a lot of fans did for the BMF?

With the release of information + pictures on the Clone Wars Turbo at Toy Fair, and the promise of even MORE wonderful surprises at SDCC 2009 and in light of the BMF spoiler from last year, will Hasbro be taking extra precautions to keep things under wraps until closer to SDCC 2009 or even possibly right up until the show itself?"

Reword/rework as needed. I think the gist of what I am asking is relatively obvious.Ok, first, let me address something that's kinda driving me crazy. It's a little thing, but it's come up twice already. "Dear Hasbro" is not a necessary phrase, it's bizarre to actually say it to them, and I never ever ever include it. I even remove it from the Q&A roundup most of the time because it's so weird. I know we have a whole forum called it, but it's called that mostly to get the idea across to the forum readers, not to actually address Hasbro in a loving manner. It's just weird. :p

Now, onto your question specifically. We know Hasbro wanted to keep the lid on the BMF until it hit shelves, they worked very hard to do so and nearly pulled it off. Whenever you see "spy" photos, they are not Hasbro leaking information, and Hasbro usually prefers we don't post pictures because test shots and early images may not show final items or may raise collector expectations too high, and they definitely don't want that. In fact, Hasbro sometimes will carve numbers into test shots and such so that if a photo gets out, they know where the spy may have been and thus who it may have been. They take it fairly seriously, and have said as much in prior answers.

Also, they mix it up, the Turbo Tank was one they intentionally revealed early on, there was no attempt to hide it, they had a press roll-out of it. But they do like to make sure fans have something new to see at Comic-Con, otherwise fans won't come back the next year, so they do hold stuff back for their display. And again, this is stuff they've said in prior Q&As.

I second this one. I was comparing this new pic to my old gungan figures the other day, and if this is indeed the final product, then the deco is very poor, especially when compared to figures produced 10 years ago. It seems all the budget is being pumped into articulation, at the expense of quality detail.Vote counted, and I was thinking about the budget to articulation thing so I'll add it to the question.

I will vote for 10,12, and 14.

All I want to know is when the ESB Wave# 6 is coming to retail stores in New York City. On-line they have them on stock but I have gone to every Toy'R'Us, Target, and Walmart in NYC. Still I have not seen that wave or seen the Rancor in the Targets in my Tri-State area. In Walmart I never seen the exclusive comic packs. I usually go with my family every weekend and I don't see anything just rereleases of the first waves of the TLC. Maybe I am in a bad area that the new products have not reach there or other possiblities but there has to be a reason.That wave is out and shipping to retailers. I've found half the wave in stores so far, but the pegs are clogged with older product and distribution is apparently suffering for that and for the anticipation of the brand's changeover to the red & white cards. Hasbro can't control what TRU, Target, and WM distribute to a specific area unfortunately, so large metropolises like NY and LA suffer because those chains don't address the large number of collectors in the small area. Rancors are finally starting to hit LA as Targets make room for the box, it's a MASSIVE box and not one that can easily be put out.

*edit* Oh my god I'm an idiot today. ESB is NOT AOTC. Duuuuur.

But still, the turn-around time on these questions is way too long for asking about upcoming release dates, and the answer is always "We have no set release dates, and once it enters the store's distribution centers, it's out of our hands".That is sadly true, there's not much to be gained in Q&A from asking those.

NertTW, Sorry if I came out too strong. Just that I get frustrated hearing that other people are buying this wave in the same retail stores in other parts of the USA. Just don't understand how these big retail stores distribute the Star Wars action figures."Poorly".

Anyway, new question:

Hasbro has stated that the various "Senator" type characters, and some of the more obscure "niche" characters appearing in the films appeal to only a small devoted collector base. According to Hasbro, sales of the Legacy line seem to have suffered due in part to too many of these obscure characters being widely released at once. That being said, would Hasbro consider releasing themed "Collector Packs" that would include several of these fan-requested and collector-driven characters as online exclusives directly to the collector market, similar to the Lucas Family set awhile back? Characters that collectors have voiced a desire for, but that may translate into tough sells as Yarna seems to have. Sets like these may be the best way to get other obscure females and "dancer" characters with little kid appeal such as Jess, Leesub Sirln, the Gella twins, Mara Jade as Arica, Laudica, Eeusu Estornii and the Mon Calamaris from ROTS into collector hands without risking clogged pegs and slower basic figure sales.This has been asked before and the answer is no, because the collector base alone can't justify all those new tooling costs, putting any new tooling into an exclusive box lowers its number of sales anyway. If Yarna wasn't released as a basic, they wouldn't have been able to tool up that figure because a boxed set budget would have been almost entirely used up on that 1 figure - unless you wanna spend $25 for Yarna in a big box, those types of sets aren't the way to go. And they're not seeing great returns on those boxed sets in general, that's why battle packs are down a figure and up in price and switching back to main characters and clones, so even if you could figure out a way to run them 100% new-tool-free, it wouldn't be profitable to manufacture that niche stuff and shove it in a box.

I don't believe we've seen any pics of a gunship with the upcoming ball turrets attached. I for one am curious to see what this all would look like and also how the turrets attach to the gunship. I imagine it's more or less the same as the mini-turrets we got in the Saga line but again, I'd like some pics. It seems to me we rarely ask to see pics of upcoming product (especially with comic-con right around the corner) but this is one I'd really like to see before I run out and buy four sets to arm my two gunships.Hmm, I'm a little reticent. The set is coming out relatively soon, and they may not have any studio photos of it since there's no set of them together, so if we ask this and it's a "sorry, nothing to show you", we're left empty-handed. I was going to ask for a secondary question to go with it, but JabbaJohn included one...

If this is asked, then I would also like to add this, or ask it separately:

*The upcoming Geonosis Assault battle pack will no doubt work well for the Republic gunships released in 2002 and 2003, since those were based on AOTC and early-era Clone Wars material. However, should fans want to outfit later gunships - including the ROTS and Clone Wars micro-series versions - the pilots will not be accurate for the given ship. So, will we see the turret re-released with ROTS clones or ARC pilots? That would be important to know so fans would know whether to stock up on these sets now or wait for possible re-releases with different clones.Risky, it's so early to ask that, the set hasn't been released yet, we already asked them for the other helmets and they said they couldn't. They may not know how well the set sells, it's not likely they've planned to re-release something that may tank and have no demand.

So, I've combined your questions and added it, counted your votes.

Obsession is Nute
06-05-2009, 02:10 AM
12,15 and 16 please.

DarkJedi5
06-05-2009, 02:19 AM
*The upcoming Geonosis Assault battle pack will no doubt work well for the Republic gunships released in 2002 and 2003, since those were based on AOTC and early-era Clone Wars material. However, should fans want to outfit later gunships - including the ROTS and Clone Wars micro-series versions - the pilots will not be accurate for the given ship. So, will we see the turret re-released with ROTS clones or ARC pilots? That would be important to know so fans would know whether to stock up on these sets now or wait for possible re-releases with different clones.

JT, correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading on some one else's Q&A a similar question. I'm pretty sure that since Hasbro intends to change the battle pack packaging back to the taller and more narrow boxes this set and the Scramble on Yavin set won't likely be released again in the future because they just won't fit in the box. I remember reading that and thinking, "Crap! I gotta hunt down enough of these to square away all my favorite gunships."

Darth Marco
06-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks JT for that answer. Just can't wait for those figures to come to my area. My daughter and I have some Star Wars adventures that we plan on recreating. LOL (I can't believe I enjoy this, at least it takes me out from the streets).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
JT, correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading on some one else's Q&A a similar question. I'm pretty sure that since Hasbro intends to change the battle pack packaging back to the taller and more narrow boxes this set and the Scramble on Yavin set won't likely be released again in the future because they just won't fit in the box. I remember reading that and thinking, "Crap! I gotta hunt down enough of these to square away all my favorite gunships."
You're right about them changing the Battle Pack box; I'd forgotten about that. I think it's still a valid question since they could find other ways, like exclusives, to get them out. But it might be worth modifying the question anyway.

JediTricks
06-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Question 17 stricken.
If you voted for that question, you are refunded 1 vote.

I'm going to be sending in the votes in around 24 hours, so please get those votes in soon.

JT, correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading on some one else's Q&A a similar question. I'm pretty sure that since Hasbro intends to change the battle pack packaging back to the taller and more narrow boxes this set and the Scramble on Yavin set won't likely be released again in the future because they just won't fit in the box. I remember reading that and thinking, "Crap! I gotta hunt down enough of these to square away all my favorite gunships."Good memory, March 20th:

Sandtroopers.com: Hasbro's newly revealed pilot/gunship turret pod battlepack comes with 2 pilots and one turret and looks AMAZING! To completely outfit 1 gunship, kids and collectors will need to purchase 2 battlepacks. Will we need to buy ahead and purchase extra battlepacks in anticipation of future gunship releases? Or will Hasbro release this battlepack in conjunction with any and all future gunship repaint/repack releases?
Hasbro: Excellent question. This pack is designed to have a limited run - likely less than 12 months, as the Battle Pack format will change in Fall 2010 back to the original thin depth we used from 2006-2008. This means that any of the sets developed for the deeper design will remain out of circulation, unless demand is so hot that get them back out as exclusives. Even then, it will likely take some time and there is never a guarantee they will come back out. So best buy 'em when you see them...
While I bet they could figure out a way to get the back out in the narrower boxes (depends on the design of the sphere, but I think if it could be halved, they could simply do that), they specifically say there are no plans to re-release it right now. Also, in a separate answer, they say they wanted to cost it out to 2 turrets and 2 pilots, but it just didn't work out. Perhaps in the future we could talk them into doing 2 turrets and 1 clone. But for now, we have no question to ask, it's a dead issue.

You're right about them changing the Battle Pack box; I'd forgotten about that. I think it's still a valid question since they could find other ways, like exclusives, to get them out. But it might be worth modifying the question anyway.They addressed the exclusive thing. If you can think of a way to modify the question, LMK.

Thanks JT for that answer. Just can't wait for those figures to come to my area. My daughter and I have some Star Wars adventures that we plan on recreating. LOL (I can't believe I enjoy this, at least it takes me out from the streets).Very cool. Hope you guys have a lot of fun with the figures. I just picked up the Luke and Hoth Trooper figures, so I'm only 1 away from a complete set myself after a month of hunting. I had to drive 150 miles away to get the figures though :p (I was visiting Tycho).

LTBasker
06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm going to be sending in the votes in around 24 hours, so please get those votes in soon.

Well, since you asked nicely. :pleased:

7. - Beyond Star Wars, many other franchises have tried their hand at Titanium Series - Battlestar Galactica, Indiana Jones, Marvel, Transformers, even Stargate was floated as being in some level of planning - yet they all eventually faded away from Titanium Series' light. What lessons has the Titanium Series team taken away from those other licenses' lines and their passings? For example, you put off the wave with the BSG Basestar and couldn't find a slot for this new tooling before the license ran out, yet you released a Starbuck repaint of the Viper mk 2 at theproverbial 11th hour (and didn't hit shelves until the 13th hour), an unusual distinction which fans don't really understand, and could use more behind-the-scenes insight into - why didn't that Basestar tooling get shoehorned into a later wave before the license with Universal ran out? Why release a repaint vehicle that won't satisfy fans as much, rather than an all-new mold which fans have been clamoring for?
8. - Regarding the future of Star Wars Mighty Muggs, what wave will be the final one at retail before the line becomes a TRU exclusive? Will some sought-after previous entries like Leia and the Stormtrooper be re-released? For Entertainment Earth's shared exclusives, who will they be sharing those with?
9. - Does Hasbro have access to the old Kenner Droids line's vehicle molds, the Side Gunner, ATL Interceptor, perhaps even the infamously never released White Witch? Will there be any chance to see these given new life and released under Hasbro one day?
11. - A recent disassembly of your Titanium Series V-19 Starfighter led to the surprising discovery of a detailed cockpit underneath the opaque yellow canopy. Why was this item released with the opaque canopy rather than a transparent one which would have shown off the detailing underneath? You guys are paying to design, sculpt, and tool up that interior, so why hide it? Will this be addressed in some sort of re-release before the line's end?
12. - Understanding that it's still too far away to talk about and that plans could always change, with the upcoming live-action TV show on the horizon to again boost interest in Star Wars collecting, would Hasbro release those figures as their own separate line, or would they be integrated into an overall line such as the Saga series?
16. - Recently, pictures of the TPM wave surfaced online, and they seem to be of final production samples. We've seen a trend in the last few years of deco work becoming steadily weaker and weaker, with the Gungan Warrior sporting a particularly weak deco. On all previous Gungans, the colored parts of the arms have been detailed and accurate to the film and the different colors on the face have blended together well; on this new version, the paint seems sloppy, with no details on the arms and a stark contrast between the dark and light colors. While we understand that you've cut back on weathering and other details due to cost issues, this Gungan seems a bit much. Will we continue to see increasingly poor paint applications as the line continues, is there too much budget given to articulation at the expense of deco, and if so, what reasons are behind these issues? Will the line's deco get cheaper and more toyetic as the prices increase due to ever-tightening budgetary issues?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-10-2009, 12:37 AM
In addition to my already-counted vote for 16, how about 1, 2, 12, 14, and 15.

As to number 10, that was semi-answered when Derryl Depriest was on the Forcecast (http://www.theforce.net/podcast/story/ForceCast_Collectors_Cast_Special_Report_123307.as p) recently (not sure what time he mentions it). He said that a store was going to release Ziro as an exclusive but they changed their minds and went with something else, not saying which store or which exclusive it was. They're still looking at how to get him out there. I assume the answer we would get won't be much more in-depth than that, unless people are really dying to know why we got Jabba first (which I assume was recognizability).

sebillba
06-10-2009, 04:41 AM
3, 4, 12, 15 & 16 (already counted).

Thanks JT, hope you're feeling better. :)

mtriv73
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM
just 15 please.

JediTricks
06-10-2009, 04:09 PM
The votes are low and pretty close, right now any vote is likely to tip the scales towards one question or another. So I strongly recommend getting those last votes in.

Speaking of which, here's my votes:
2 cw scale
5 x-wing
6 sideshow
7 titanium lessons
9 old droids molds
11 titanium v-19

As to number 10, that was semi-answered when Derryl Depriest was on the Forcecast (http://www.theforce.net/podcast/story/ForceCast_Collectors_Cast_Special_Report_123307.as p) recently (not sure what time he mentions it). He said that a store was going to release Ziro as an exclusive but they changed their minds and went with something else, not saying which store or which exclusive it was. They're still looking at how to get him out there. I assume the answer we would get won't be much more in-depth than that, unless people are really dying to know why we got Jabba first (which I assume was recognizability).I see. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna stick with it, see if we can get a little more of the "why" aspect, if you have improvements to the question though, LMK.

Thanks JT, hope you're feeling better. :)Thanks. I was, tomorrow I won't be, I'm getting a wisdom tooth extracted. :D

vger
06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
1. - In Hasbro's awesome Comic-Packs line, we've been treated to Marvel Star Wars issues 1-4, and Dark Horse Revenge of the Sith issues 1, 3, and 4. Any chance we could get comic packs of the missing Marvel SW #5 and 6, and Dark Horse ROTS #2, to complete their respective tales? (Just spitballing ideas: we could certainly do with a Leia/3PO pack for MSW#5 and perhaps a Rebel/Imperial Pilot set for #6, and ROTS #2 could use Grievous and a new deco Clone.) And what about Comic Packs for the other movie adaptation comics like Marvel ESB and ROTJ, or Dark Horse TPM and AOTC?

And a new question:

Do you have any plans to make an R6 astromech as a build-a-droid or as a basic figure (realistic style)? The torso and legs are the same as a regular R2, R3, R4, or R5. The only new tooling required would be the dome. It would be nice to have R1-R7 droids in our collections, instead of just R1-R5 and R7.

DarkJedi5
06-10-2009, 06:53 PM
4, 13, 16 for me.

JediTricks
06-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Ok, that's it for this round! Thanks to everybody who participated.

Vger, I'll add your question to the next round.

I'm going to do the final tally and then send in the questions. Here's what we're sending in, and it was indeed a close one, with 7 different choices tying for that last slot (the one that was time-sensitive won out).

Understanding that it's still too far away to talk about and that plans could always change, with the upcoming live-action TV show on the horizon to again boost interest in Star Wars collecting, would Hasbro release those figures as their own separate line, or would they be integrated into an overall line such as the Saga series?
As the first generation of TLC and Clone Wars packaging nears the end of its run, we are noticing smaller amounts of new waves hitting local stores, and odd case assortments in those waves and their revisions. The ESB wave seems to be trickling in very slowly, with many collectors not having seen it "in the wild". The AOTC wave has appeared online, but still not in stores as of June. Clone Wars wave 5 has appeared in short supply and with a case assortment that still only includes 1 of each new figure, padding shelves with existing figures that aren't in short supply and don't seem to need significant restocking, while ensuring new figures get choked out, and it seems to be continuing for the next few CW and TLC waves (we understand the Hasbro argument about not having enough new product manufacturing volume for a wave, but there seem to be less revisions to address that, and more figures not moving fast enough to make way). While we understand that there is always a retailer reset of the lines with new packaging, a holding of the breath, it seems like this year it's been a longer-term problem and many collectors are growing frustrated with the scarcity of newer figures. Are there other reasons behind the lack of new figures on shelves, is there a remedy for it before the new packaging comes in?
Perhaps a longshot, but does Hasbro have access to the old Kenner Droids line's vehicle molds, the Side Gunner, ATL Interceptor, perhaps even the infamously never released White Witch? Will there be any chance to see these given new life and released under Hasbro one day?
Recently, pictures of the TPM wave surfaced online, and they seem to be of final production samples. We've seen a trend in the last few years of deco work becoming steadily weaker and weaker, with the Gungan Warrior sporting a particularly weak deco. On all previous Gungans, the colored parts of the arms have been detailed and accurate to the film and the different colors on the face have blended together well; on this new version, the paint seems sloppy, with no details on the arms and a stark contrast between the dark and light colors. While we understand that you've cut back on weathering and other details due to cost issues, this Gungan seems a bit much. Will we continue to see increasingly poor paint applications as the line continues, is there too much budget given to articulation at the expense of deco, and if so, what reasons are behind these issues? Will the line's deco get cheaper and more toyetic as the prices increase due to ever-tightening budgetary issues?
Hasbro has had a long history of packing new figures or improved sculpts in various multipacks with re-released figures. This essentially makes longtime collectors choose between re-purchasing figures they may have multiple times already (Vader and Han Solo are notable repeat offenders), or completely miss out on the new figures in the sets. This has, unfortunately, caused many unscrupulous collectors to purchase the sets, remove the figures or accessories they want, replace them with older, less desirable figures, and return them to the store for full credit. Though honest collectors will bring this to the attention of store management, many times the tampered-with items are back on the shelf the next day for whatever reason. Though we understand the business sense behind offering the new with the old, the practice of figure-swapping-to-return theft is steadily on the rise and far less rare than it should be, while employees are less able or diligent to keep that tampered product off their shelves. Isn't there anything you can do to potentially slow the problem, both the initial swapping and the employees re-stocking the tampered items after it's been brought to their attention?
A recent disassembly of your Titanium Series V-19 Starfighter led to the surprising discovery of a detailed cockpit underneath the opaque yellow canopy. Why was this item released with the opaque canopy rather than a transparent one which would have shown off the detailing underneath? You guys are paying to design, sculpt, and tool up that interior, so why hide it? Will this be addressed in some sort of re-release before the line's end?

Look for a new round of voting soon.