PDA

View Full Version : Smallville Season Nine

Droid
05-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Since we have had a season finale and we just heard about the show being moved to Fridays, I thought we might as well start a new thread for the next (and hopefully last) season.

I am very hopeful that they bring back Perry White (same actor) for some part of the next season. I also hope that Martha and Lex are back for at least one episode. I'd also like them to have Jonathon in a dream/vision/some capacity in an episode.

I doubt any of these actors will be back next year. I am sure they will run the show on a very cheap budget with few guest stars. However, I think they really need to resolve the question of why Lex won't know Clark Kent is Superman.

Slicker
05-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I thought they were gonna cancel the show? I haven't watched the show in several years though so maybe it's getting better?

pbarnard
05-22-2009, 02:35 PM
I thought they were gonna cancel the show? I haven't watched the show in several years though so maybe it's getting better?

First question: if an only if the ending of Ol' Yeller can be applied, and FAST:whip:

Second one: If an only if the universe is populated by Leonard Nimoy in goatees.

pbarnard
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Smallville-Brian-Austin-1007034.aspx

Brian Austin Green is, wait for it,

Wait for it

Wait for it.

Metallo in the 1st two episodes of the upcoming season. No news on Zod apparently. They couldn't find anyone who even the most dillusional fan could kneel before.

JetsAndHeels
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Smallville-Brian-Austin-1007034.aspx

Brian Austin Green is, wait for it,

Wait for it

Wait for it.

Metallo in the 1st two episodes of the upcoming season. No news on Zod apparently. They couldn't find anyone who even the most dillusional fan could kneel before.

Oh man...well, guess he needed work since the Sarah Connor Chronicles got cancelled.

Here is some schedule information for season 9:

The CW Network has set its fall premiere schedule, featuring the debut of three new series and new time slots for returning favorites.

"Smallville" relocates to its new home on Friday, September 25 (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET), with the non-stop action and classic DC Comics characters viewers love. "Smallville" will be followed by encore episodes of "America’s Next Top Model" (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET).

JediTricks
06-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Metallo is one Supes villain that would fit perfectly with Smallville's type of storytelling. He's shallow and boring and gimmicky and he's got kryptonite in his chest and he hates Superman for no good reason.

Droid
06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Smallville-Callum-Zod-1007208.aspx

So this is the guy that will play Zod. According to imdb.com he is younger than Tom Welling! Of course it is Smallville and the CW so they have to cast a young person, but wouldn't you think Zod would be played by an older actor, with a bit of graivtas, and someone that would accurately show that Zod is older than Clark. (I understand Zod is reborn in some way, but still, it is dumb.)

JediTricks
06-25-2009, 04:23 PM
So, the actor who played Mason on Dead Like Me is their Zod? Seems a little off to me, the guy plays a great character, but he's an intimate actor IMO, good for nuanced small roles and for stage work. But at least Zod will have a British accent.

AICN is reporting a rumor that WB will announce some sort of Smallville spin-off movie "Metropolis" (direct to video maybe?) for xmas, 2010: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41525
(think anybody is going to tell WB that the name is already taken? ;))

Tycho
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
JediTricks and I went to the Smallville panel today at Comic Con. The entire cast was there including Tom Welling, making his first Comic Con appearance!

There might be a Season 10.

They did not make an announcement of a direct to DVD movie.

They showed scenes from Season 9.

SUPERMAN has arrived! Clark was shown wearing the "S" (House of El symbol) on a black jumpsuit with a black trench coat - Smallville's new look for Superman? The "S" seemed hand-drawn and the scene might be from the future. So 1 episode he's in the suit?

The actor playing Zod is good. He even said "Kneel before Zod!" to the folks at the questions microphone.

The very large room (actually 3 rooms combined!) was filled with people standing against the walls even. Smallville seems to have the staying power for even a 10th season.

Droid
07-27-2009, 10:22 AM
SUPERMAN has arrived! Clark was shown wearing the "S" (House of El symbol) on a black jumpsuit with a black trench coat - Smallville's new look for Superman? The "S" seemed hand-drawn and the scene might be from the future. So 1 episode he's in the suit?

Tycho, if he was wearing a black jumpsuit with a black trench coat with an S on it he is NOT WEARING THE SUIT.

Tycho
07-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Smallville might have their own version of the Superman suit. I'd prefer the black one myself as the show is more "adult." But they can do an episode where he uses the blue and red. They're set up for it with the blue-n-red blur story.

Droid
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
They may have their own version of the Superman suit (which would be incredibly stupid), but make no mistake, it will not be THE SUPERMAN suit. The character has been around too long to reboot the costume. Any new outfit they have ever given the character has been fleeting. Ya, first thing you want to do with one of the most recognized characters and images on Earth, change it so no one knows what they are looking at.

Santa should wear more purple and gold!

Tycho
07-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Gangsta Santa? That'd be a cool update.

JediTricks
08-01-2009, 11:08 PM
It was a good panel, Welling is still very closed as a public figure, but did a fairly good job, and had a real laffer with some fangirl who made a joke about him taking a long time to answer a question so he could look at her longer. The actress who plays Tess is still not really hitting any targets for me, she was totally out of her element this year. Callum Blue (Gen Zod) said he originally read for a character named "Mason" rather than Zod, which made me and the 5 other Dead Like Me fans in the audience laugh loudly.

I think anything Kal-El slaps the house of El logo onto can be considered a super-suit, this definitely made me think of his return after the Doomsday thing (which fits here as well, despite massive changes to that storyline like Clark not dying). But if they leave it at this, they will have perpetrated that 1990s awful Warner Bros reboot movie idea too far.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-19-2009, 06:51 AM
First pic of Metallo:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=8621

Complain away! :thumbsup:

Tycho
08-19-2009, 07:40 AM
I like Brian Austin Green from Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles.

He's a good actor.

I don't know anything about Metallo in Superman lore.

Who's he supposed to be: James, Lars, Robert, or Kirk?

That green thing's a speaker and it plays "For Whom The Bell Tolls?" right?

JetsAndHeels
08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Looks good.

Tycho
08-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I've re-worded Metallo's song for Smallville:

Jor-El is lost!
Jor-El is raped!
Jor-El is done!
For your sake,
Jor-El is done!

:D

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 09:20 PM
First pic of Metallo:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=8621

Complain away! :thumbsup:Only with good reason though. Man does that look stupid. He looks like he's caked in silly putty and has the krypto-engine chest attached outside. Who is going to be fooled by him wearing his clothes over that? And the reasoning is shoddy.

Tycho
08-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Who is going to be fooled by him wearing his clothes over that?

Marvel Iron Man fans!

pbarnard
08-20-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm waiting for Ultra Magnus to be unable to open it, while Hot Rod can, and Unicron destroyed...or is that too much cross over?

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah, because the Transformers are tied to Marvel, not DC. ;)

pbarnard
08-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah, because the Transformers are tied to Marvel, not DC. ;)

I thought it was IDW now:thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Sorry, anything that happened from Pat Lee on, I don't recognize. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-21-2009, 07:30 PM
season 9 promo!

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/08/20/smallville-season-9-promo/

:thumbsup:

figrin bran
08-21-2009, 08:51 PM
The Superman Batman Public Enemies animated film is coming to DVD next month. I didn't realize that Allison Mack was providing the voice for Power Girl.

Tycho
08-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for posting JediMasterGuyute. Actually, without even watching the promo (I haven't got the time right now, I'm only home for a short while right now), I'd predict that this is the same montage of clips they showed to us at Comic Con. I'm glad everyone else will get a chance to see it who could not attend. That was my favorite pannel at Con.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Pic of Clark in the new outfit!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=8661

I like it.

Droid
09-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Yes because of G.I. Joe the movie and X-Men taught us anything is that memorable characters should just be slapped into generic black outfits.

And isn't it just a bit Matrix?

JetsAndHeels
09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Interesting...I like the Superman Returns-style logo.

JetsAndHeels
09-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Don't forget that the season premiere airs tomorrow night at 8pm est.

Tycho
09-25-2009, 01:24 AM
I might be home to watch it. Not sure. Going to Queensryche on Saturday night, so I could take it easy tomorrow night I suppose.

Droid
09-25-2009, 10:00 AM
I will watch it, but just don't care anymore.

I am sure this will be the last season. I just hope that they structure it as such and don't waste the whole season treading water because they think they MIGHT come back next year.

The time slot is horrible. I wonder if the strategy is to put it on Friday until another show like Melrose Place gets canned and then move it into that slot.

But jumping time slots usually kills a show.

Tycho
09-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I like the black Superman suit, but the shirt with the "S" looks very amateur and generic. Maybe Clark will up his fashion investment as the season progresses.

The other thing is that Smallville established the "red-blue-blurr" as a hero, I hate to be the one to bring it up, as I like a less "Underoos look" for Supey, but Clark does have a positive identity thing going for him by wearing red and blue.

It could be those colors, but not so much the tights and undershorts on outside of the tights, or however you could describe the traditional costume. They could design a more modern, (Yes: X-men / GI Joe costume reinvention) of the Superman suit, in red and blue (mostly a darker blue perhaps?).

Or they could write a good story to explain why Clark decides to look like, well I don't want to offend anyone here....

Droid
09-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Superman: the Movie didn't go this route, but I always thought it would make sense to have it be that his costume is a traditional Kryptonian outfit.

I beileve stories often used to say that the outfit was made from the blankets he came to Earth in (and therefore was kind of indestructible).

On the Lois and Clark show Martha made the outfit.

I look at it like this. If someone showed up on Earth with that kind of power whatever he chose to wear would become the latest fashion craze.

I am so sick of the black jumpsuit. Guess what, if I saw someone in a leather black jumpsuit I would think they were as odd as someone in Supermans' outfit.

Smallville has a lot more to figure out about how Lex ultimately doesn't know his identity or why for one second Lois wouldn't immediately think that Clark is Superman than worrying about why in today's world someone would wear that flashy red-blue outfit.

The basic format of Superman's outfit has been established for like 80 years. If people want to make up a different hero in a different costume go ahead. But Superman wears a red cape, a blue shirt with a big S on it, pants that are red at the top with blue legs, and red boots.

Tycho
09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Smallville has a lot more to figure out about how Lex ultimately doesn't know his identity or why for one second Lois wouldn't immediately think that Clark is Superman than worrying about why in today's world someone would wear that flashy red-blue outfit.

Well I think that's what makes Lex so dangerous: he knows exactly who Clark / Superman is. To me, that's a cool aspect to have in an arch-enemy.

The basic format of Superman's outfit has been established for like 80 years. If people want to make up a different hero in a different costume go ahead. But Superman wears a red cape, a blue shirt with a big S on it, pants that are red at the top with blue legs, and red boots.

There's something to be said for tradition, but with no other rationale, the traditional outfit is quite ridiculous.

Remember the show where that little boy Ryan said Clark was his hero and compared him to the comic book character: Avenging Angel or whatever hero they made up for Smallville?

Another show like that where Clark dresses up to inspire a little kid and then is photographed as the hero, and keeps that identity for consistency would explain it. The outfit really doesn't seem Clark's style (the character as he's been written for Smallville). I'm really suprised he doesn't wear flannel!

The Man of Steel becomes The Man of Flannel.

But yeah, they can do the traditional suit, but write an interesting and believeable reason for it. Smallville's Clark might dress a little hunky-dorky, but he's not auditioning for the circus.

Maybe he rescues someone when he's dressed for Halloween and he's caught on camera (by Lois or Jimmy) then. At which point, the costume becomes his identity.

Explaining Lois is a whole 'nother story. Maybe she's just really stupid?

JediTricks
09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
I just saw an ad on channel 5 for the new season starting tonight, and they were playing up the "now he's a superhero!!!" angle really hard, surprising to see them go that way with the ads.

Droid
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
What a mess.

Wasn't the fortress destroyed by Doomsday? Was there some special object Clark had to fix it (again) or did they just move on with that?

Are they claiming Zod has been in Kandor this whole time? Nothing about the Zod we saw escape the Phantom Zone, possess Lex, and then run around disembodied?

So there are a bunch of Kryptonians in soldier suits all over the place with no powers? Lame. I am so sick of the number of Kryptonians that are on this show.

I didn't remember that Lois know Oliver was the Green Arrow.

I kind of like the Zod actor. Good voice.

At least they have Clark remember he killed Jonathon and can't go changing time every five minutes.

I guess the biggest problem is that I just didn't enjoy the episode!

Tycho
09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
I saw bits and pieces of it. Tess Mercer was good in her parts.

But I got to see the line "Kneel before Zod" delivered. This was great! :D

Kneel Before Zod!!!

pbarnard
09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
This season seems they're either ripping off the new ABC show Flash Forward or created such a big mess on the canine fecal matter thrown to the wall that the "creative" team uses to plan out the season.

Tycho
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Zombieland tonight. The show's got a lot of action. I've been toggling channels between the Angels' game, Clone Wars, and Smallville.

It's pretty dark and very intriguing. The writing's gotten a lot better.

JetsAndHeels
10-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Zombieland tonight. The show's got a lot of action. I've been toggling channels between the Angels' game, Clone Wars, and Smallville.

You need a dvr, if you don't have one already.

I have the last 2 episodes recorded but haven't watched them yet. Not really in a big hurry to either.

Tycho
10-10-2009, 05:15 PM
They've been surprisingly good, IMO.

JediTricks
10-10-2009, 06:24 PM
"Major" Zod? Time traveling ninjas from Kandor? Lois' flash-forward silliness? Clark destroying public property to tag his family crest around town? Green Arrow turning into a big suicidal whiner? ZOMBIES?!? With as much junk as this show is pushing so far, it's amazing it doesn't totally suck. Tess is in it less, so that helps a lot. I dunno, the show doesn't feel as far off the rails as it should. One could deconstruct it into pure suck, but overall it's at least staying somewhat interesting.

JetsAndHeels
10-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I have not yet watched the last 2 eps (last week's and the week before), but I did watch last night. Clark got the ability to hear other people's thoughts...he used that to court Lois even more, which was laughable to me. It reminded me of that Mel Gibson movie with Helen Hunt.
Toyman was in this episode again and it was kind of meh really. Oliver has pretty much turned into a drunk.

I still want to love Smallville like I did in years past, but it just doesn't feel like the show I once enjoyed. I guess the one thing that makes it feel so different is the Friday night slot it now has. For some reason that took away most of my motivation to watch it (I just dvr it because I am usually not at home).

Tycho
10-18-2009, 04:14 AM
I know, J&H: I missed last night completely and I'm not really worried about it.

I'll buy the Season 9 DVD set - why not? I have all the other ones.

JediTricks
10-22-2009, 04:16 AM
I found Clark's temporary ability a tad stupider than usual, it's a power that seems outside the realm of possibility yet instantly pops on. And then he doesn't even seem to use it the way it should be! He just kinda goofs around with it and finds that solving life's troubles is easy with it, well then why wouldn't he just be allowed to keep it??? And the whole thing was just one dumb step after another. But hey, at least Clark learned his lesson to look before he proverbially leaps, right? (He x-rayed the guy this time instead of just busting him the jaw hard enough to throw him across the room, it's like he didn't even see The Dark Knight :p). Meh.

In other Smallville news, Pete Ross busted for trying to sell 10k hits of Oxy? Say it ain't so Pete! http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-sam-jones,0,693323.story

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 11:02 AM
The mind reading I don't think is quite outside the Superman theme. Looking back, it is a play/allusion to the Superman The Movie score. What was the title of the Love Theme? "Can You Read My Mind", the infamous Lois Lane/Margot Kidder internal dialogue while flying over Metropolis.

Now, next episode, which Zod do I kneel before: the original or the TV faker?

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
The mind reading I don't think is quite outside the Superman theme. Looking back, it is a play/allusion to the Superman The Movie score. What was the title of the Love Theme? "Can You Read My Mind", the infamous Lois Lane/Margot Kidder internal dialogue while flying over Metropolis.
The answer to her question, though, was "no".

This last week's episode reeked of Lois & Clark (the tv series from the '90s), it was cute but obvious and ended on a few weak soap opera notes. Speedy being a hooker was an odd choice, someone on the writing staff wants to be Frank Miller when they grow up.

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
The answer to her question, though, was "no".

This last week's episode reeked of Lois & Clark (the tv series from the '90s), it was cute but obvious and ended on a few weak soap opera notes. Speedy being a hooker was an odd choice, someone on the writing staff wants to be Frank Miller when they grow up.

They have a staff? I thought it was 3 chimps, a pygmy potbellied pig, and a 3rd grade Language Arts class creative writing project. :thumbsup:

Not so much soap opera-y but out of Clark's reserved character.

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Clark jumped to a lot of 1-dimensional conclusions merely to spur the storyline, that to me is soap opera-ish. I did forget about they very ending though so I have to take back what I said, I forgot that Clark actually acted on what he had seen in the rest of the ep.

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Forgetting about one part of an episode or another is pretty understandable. It's been unforgettable well for a while.

JediTricks
11-04-2009, 03:00 AM
I think it was the utter stupidity of Tess kicking the crap out of her Kandorian bodyguard that damaged my brain. If Tess Mercer is such a massive badass, why does she bother hiring security at all? Is it to protect her from Lois, the only person out there that can kick the crap out of her? Because Lois's fighting quality varies wildly from day to day. :p

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I think it has to do with how drunk they are at the time...whoever is sober can win...Which would be a great contest. If you can survive the entire season of Smallville, and not need a drink to try and forget it about it, you win my Smallville contest. What do you win, a headache.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Pic of Hawkman. http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/kecks-exclusives/hawkman-swoops-into-smallville-3209.html

and in Best Buy's Black Friday ad, seasons 1-8 of Smallville are listed at $9.99 each.

JediTricks
11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Dang, you beat me to posting that link.

It looks a bit Roger Corman to me, and how does nobody know about a previous superhero society?

Here's a story about Chloe from one of the producers:

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/news/smallville-producer-reveals-big-plans-for-chloe-3208.html

Honestly, I found last week's episode ok, but extremely frustrating to pull a reset after real progress in Clark and Lois. The Wonder Twins saying just "powers activate" seemed a little cop-out-y, and they relied on the audience knowing of the kids' powers in advance which is bad writing, but the ep was entertaining. How is it though that Clark can't tell Lois his secret, but he shows these incredibly irresponsible teenagers his real face.

Droid
11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I liked the episode with Jor-El, which surprised me, but I thought it was cheap that they didn't keep him around for an episode or two. I thought he should have been able to talk to Clark and thought it was a bit mean spirited to just have Clark lose a parent for what is about the fifth time (original Jor-El, original Lara, crystal esque Laura from a few seasons ago, this Jor-el, Jonathon Kent).

I kind of enjoyed the Krypton stuff and really do like the actor playing Zod (it's all the accent I think).

I think JediTricks said the show this season is better than it should be or something like that I think that is true.

I read on entertainmentweekly.com that they would like to bring Perry White back, but that Michael McKean is on Broadway right now. They also would like to use Rosenbaum again, but there are scheduling conflicts. I guess I really feel like we should get at least one Martha Kent episode a season. For all Clark's orphan syndrome he DOES having a living parent!

I also think they handicapped themselves a bit by having Terrance Stamp be the voice of Jor-El. It is insane how often Clark doesn't rush up there to consult with Jor-El about what is going on. Jor-El MIGHT have something to say about the orb he created!

The Wonder Twins episode was so-so for me. I think you only bring them on if you are saluting camp so I think they should have gone a bit farther with it. If Clark was going to talk to them you'd think either he or Chloe would have asked about their origins. Not only did they not explain the rules of their powers, most people probably DID think they are meteor freaks.

Also, I think they should have done more with Gleek than his face on the cell phone! Before there was Teek there was GLEEK!

pbarnard
11-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Also, I think they should have done more with Gleek than his face on the cell phone! Before there was Teek there was GLEEK!

Loved that little image.

Compared to the past 3 or 4 seasons, there almost is improvement. I think they've bottomed out, so now time to see what can be done.

JediTricks
11-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Gleek's voice was also their phone ringtone, IIRC.

The Fortress Jor-El has done a lot of stuff in the past, I think Clark should have brought the real Jor-El to it, THAT would have been interesting.

Speaking of interesting, it's the Dr. Fate costume!
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/11/27/smallville-doctor-fate-stargirl-hawkman/

Wow, they are going all out for this!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Promo/poster for the new Justice episode in a few weeks.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=9000

Droid
01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Now we're talking!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/OToole-Returning-Smallville-1013986.aspx

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Michael-McKean-Returns-1014010.aspx

pbarnard
01-21-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm suprised the production staff remembered who played the parts originally.

Droid
01-21-2010, 08:26 PM
They can finally reveal Martha's meteor freak power - the filibuster!

JediTricks
01-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Hmm, that poster is cool and silly at the same time. Especially Michael Shanks as Hawkman. I can see why they wanted to stay away from this stuff.

Annette O'Toole is married to Michael McKean, I wonder if that had something to do with them both coming back for the same episode.

LTBasker
01-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Weird... I saw that poster on a blog, but I thought Fate and Stargirl were just fan-made costumes. At the very least they could have made Fate's helmet look more convincingly like metal, right now it looks like foam with metallic paint.

JediTricks
01-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Tonight's episode was a mixed bag. I think the stuff with the Dark Archer didn't hold up that well, could have used either more action or more talking, but instead fell short on both. And Lois is shot with an arrow through the shoulder yet at the end of the episode you can see there's no scar - not to mention she was bleeding profusely in the beginning. The stuff with Zod was a little soap-opera cheesy but sorta worked. And Clark didn't give Chloe too much trouble for her acts but he did lay some groundwork for it. So, alright, not fantastic, not terrible.

Next week is the 2 hour Justice Society episode! Canadian fans are screwed though, it's airing on Superbowl Sunday there.

JediTricks
02-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Not a single comment for that crazy episode? It had the REAL Martian Manhunter for a little bit (he phased!), cameos by golden-age Flash, Green Lantern, Sandman, and Pam Grier as Amanda Waller!

pbarnard
02-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Whats to say beyond improvement? But it got so bad is the improvement just up to passable or is it actually good? It got so bad the past few seasons, my Smallville-meter is broken because of it.

Maradona
02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I liked the first maybe 40 minutes more than the rest. The build up, the back story intrigued me more than I thought it would, but then reality hit. Budget for the show is limited and it's geared to a different audience than hard core comic enthusiasts (though the story itself didn't bother me much, given the context of the show). That said, I got what seemed like a flashback to the 1990 Flash series in terms of the production design. Maybe that's been consistent recently on the show, but I stopped watching it as often the past few years to know. I liked Johns' writing to an extent, though not as much as with his Legion episode. The direction of the show may prove interesting enough to warrant more than just a casual view.

The Icicle character killed it for me; it was probably the actor portraying him more than anything. How many faux-hawks do we still need on television? Hawkman's flying seemed rather hokey.

figrin bran
02-10-2010, 02:20 AM
I enjoyed the Absolute Justice episodes quite a bit! It was just like reading a Geoff Johns comic and unlike the regular writers, he didn't water down any of the characters.

Droid
02-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't really understand why the Green Lantern's ring and lantern would be in the museum. That seemed a bit too much for me. I think either Alan Scott would have it or the Guardians would have taken it back.

As far the last episode, I hated the imagery of Superman blasting twin towers with his heat vision so that they would fall down as ordinary citizens stood below.

You're telling me NO ONE was inside? What keeps Zod and the reporters from being injured in the fall of the towers?

I thought the imagery was too September 11th and disturbing. I would think they'd catch some crap on that.

I knew Clark would likely tear down the towers, but it seems like he could have done it in a smarter way and they could have made clear that no one would be hurt.

And how exactly does Tess dodge blasts of heat vision? She'd be so dead.

Also, majorly annoyed in the episode before where he throws something so hard at an escaping person that it knocked him down/unconscious. I know it was played for humor, but they need to stop having Clark be so careless. He would kill somebody and I don't like the casual display of force. Even if he knows how hard to throw something, he can't know how it affects the person he hits.

Tycho
02-24-2010, 01:02 PM
I haven't watched one episode this season (I think) but I'll be buying the Season 9 box set when it comes out.

I'm interested that Martha Kent will be returning as a guest star. That's cool for continuity.

Meanwhile, do you guys think this is it, or are we going to see a Season 10?

Droid
02-24-2010, 03:02 PM
I think the CW has such a weak schedule, and they probably won't get another show to do "as well" on Friday at 7:00, so they'll keep it for another season.

But I REALLY hope that the network tells the show to write it as the last season because this is IT.

THE Slayer
02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
I think that the scene of the towers falling cuts right before they fall for the sept 11th reasons. I didn't like the scene either. That was pretty much my grip for the whole show. I think he 'let' Tess live and she pretty much just dodged a fireball, instead of a entire laser line of heat vision.

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 03:10 AM
I don't really understand why the Green Lantern's ring and lantern would be in the museum. That seemed a bit too much for me. I think either Alan Scott would have it or the Guardians would have taken it back.I think this version of Alan Scott GL was supposed to be taken from the classic Golden Age character, no aliens, no Oa, no Corps, no Guardians. Alan Scott and most of the JSA were driven into retirement, and his ring was a mystical one, not an alien one, so it was his to do with what he felt was appropriate given the situation of government intervention.

As far the last episode, I hated the imagery of Superman blasting twin towers with his heat vision so that they would fall down as ordinary citizens stood below.Yeah, that was just shoddy writing so they could clean up the corner they wrote themselves into, it was thoughtless and there had to have been flaming debris raining down on the people below.

And how exactly does Tess dodge blasts of heat vision? She'd be so dead.Tess is the new Lana for the producers, she's magic and can do or not do whatever the plot needs of her, despite her being a hollow, boring character who never resonates and just turns into a lump of bad CPDs.

Also, majorly annoyed in the episode before where he throws something so hard at an escaping person that it knocked him down/unconscious. I know it was played for humor, but they need to stop having Clark be so careless. He would kill somebody and I don't like the casual display of force. Even if he knows how hard to throw something, he can't know how it affects the person he hits.This show has gotten so sloppy over the past 9 years that I no longer even notice. Humans fly across rooms at high speeds and all that happens is they have a small cut over their eyebrow and they are knocked unconscious just long enough for Clark to do something heroic.

I'm surprised nobody is calling out the BS meter of that awkward scene of Lois in Martha's wedding dress. That was just weird and out of place even for this episode, one that couldn't decide if it was goofy or serious.

Tonight's episode synopsis seems to make no sense at all.

pbarnard
02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Finally saw this one online. I'm like huh? Way to undo the progress they were making this season in one episode. Smallville is still Smallville.

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Smallville has been renewed! http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44172
Who knew that would happen?

Tycho
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
You know how Superman is immortal?

His fans' tolerance isn't. :tired:

I hope the show has been good this year. I'm going to buy the DVD set and maybe watch "live" next year or at the very end of this year, but...

I don't know. I haven't seen Smallville enough this season to offer any good opinion on it. However, I am fond of the characters, but I want Michael Rosenbaum back as Lex. Appearances by Kristin Kruek would be great of course.

And now, they should go full-on Justice League or something.

10 years of a show originally designed to last 5 years?

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Having not seen Smallville from season 9, you really don't know how much has changed. Thankfully, no more stupid Lana stories, no more freak of the week, there's actual Justice League stuff happening, Zod has returned and has machinations, Jor-El returned briefly. It's a totally different show, no more Smallville 90210. (It does lean towards Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman territory a little though.)

I suspect if you go to the SDCC panel this year, you'll be almost totally confused since the season 9 DVD probably won't be released until late August ( based on last year's DVD release) and there's so much of a different, more coherent feel that you'll not understand it all. Characters you won't be familiar with, story arcs you'll have missed, that sort of thing.

Tycho
03-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Then I'll have to ask for an update or try and catch some re-runs.

But your assessment is that the show has improved?

That's good to hear.

I always liked it, but it got tiresome and needed to retire (like Star Trek).

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 05:17 PM
There's a lot that would need covering, I suggest you start trying to catch up now. At least read articles online about each episode.

The show has direction now, that alone is a big improvement over where it was before. Some of it is a little silly, some is a little comic booky, and some is still stuck in what didn't work before, but largely they're moving it forward to be something better. I call that improvement.

No Lana baggage is a HUGE improvement, you might like the actress but she was a massive drag on the show, even in her last cameo she was just the worst thing for the show.

Tycho
03-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Well I want Michael Rosenbaum back even as a guest star!

We need to see what Lex Luthor has been up to.

He could even be in the episode and never encounter Clark, so we see him alive and plotting, but Clark doesn't know about it.

JediTricks
03-08-2010, 03:54 AM
They didn't fire him, he left the show. Lex Luthor has been quietly pushing up daisies.

Tycho
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm saying they can entice Michael Rosenbaum to guest star (I'd hope).

Meanwhile, is the show still on Friday nights?

JediTricks
03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes, still Fridays.

He left, he doesn't want to guest star.

LTBasker
03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I haven't watched the show since I think season 2, or maybe 3, but have been poking at a few episodes from this season. The JSA episode, and the "Warrior" episode that came after it were both pretty awful, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying the Zod episode "Conspiracy."

Don't really understand how it got a tenth season, though.

Tycho
03-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Yes, still Fridays.

He left, he doesn't want to guest star.

Fans - who are bigger suckers than we are - should take up a donation-collection with a petition.

It might not be the money (if he thinks he has enough) but maybe an appeal to Michael's vanity?

Though it might be he grew his hair back. If that's the reason, a bald cap or a chance to re-do his hairstyle again might work.

It depends if he's acting in other roles. I like his work on Smallville, but I don't follow his projects or anything. (But he's a good actor.)

JediTricks
03-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I haven't watched the show since I think season 2, or maybe 3, but have been poking at a few episodes from this season. The JSA episode, and the "Warrior" episode that came after it were both pretty awful, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying the Zod episode "Conspiracy."

Don't really understand how it got a tenth season, though.
It got a renewal because even though the ratings took a big hit on the move to Fridays, it has improved the CW's Friday ratings (which were abysmal even for them) and it holds a key demo audience (males 18-35) where nothing else network on Friday night is working.

Tycho, it's not about money, Rosenbaum wants to concentrate his career on other stuff, he's a creative artist, that's what acting is to him. It's hard to be creative doing the same thing for 7 years.

JediTricks
04-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Tonight, on Smallville:

Clark and Lois are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, but their plans are foiled when when they run into Chloe and Oliver at the same bed and breakfast. The couples' awkward moment is cut short when the Silver Banshee arrives, with her sights set on Clark and Oliver. Meanwhile, Tess faces off with Zod with a surprising result.That's... TONIGHT.

Oh goody, everybody's got a date on the show, even Tess & Zod. ;)

Tycho
04-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I missed it. I need to buy season 9 (and I did buy season 8 but haven't even taken the wrapper off of it yet).

I still love Smallville - or what it was that I liked about it and I'm remembering when I state that.

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 12:12 AM
You know how every show, no matter how good, has that 1 bad episode? Or in Smallville's case, 1 really bad episode per season? Well, this was that episode. The makeup on Lois when she was transformed into the Silver Banshee was beyond laughable, worse than Syfy's saturday night movies. The storyline was terrible in every direction. Tess getting it on with Zod was awful. The only part that had any value IMO was the smalltalk between Clark and Oliver. "Those are some small jars of jelly." If it wasn't for the cool trailer for next week, that jelly line would have been the best part of this episode.

Droid
04-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I've been behind in my viewing. I tape the show; I just don't care if I get around to watching it.

I watched the bed and breakfast episode and Lois did look painfully bad in the Banshee makeup.

Gee Clark, if you're so uncomfortable to be in the room naked with Chloe why not superspeed out of the room, or superspeed your clothes on, or superspeed the towel over Chloe.

Thought it was cute that Clark told Chloe he is now able to "be" with a human because of his training with Jor-El. Clever on the writer's part.

And I think the Banshee yell would have killed Oliver, not knocked him out. A bit of a cheat there.

And in the next episode, I liked Oliver sledding on the vehicle door and that was about it.

Tess is told she can't remove Oliver's hood and scolded for not adequately searching him for means of escape? That makes sense.

Tess as a secret agent for the government is just so flawed. It's like they're running two separate storylines for her altogether between the Zod and Checkmate storylines.

And would Clark please figure something out besides running up to the villain completely unmasked and then saying, "Hmmm, now they know my identity."?

Droid
04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm caught up on Smallville. Lots of "meh".

However, I am really irritated if a prediction of mine is correct. I think that the Red Queen will be Martha Kent. She has red hair. She is a Senator, so she is in the government. She probably blocked Checkmate and the White Queen from going after Clark and his friends.

We saw Lana leave as the innocent girl who returned all secret agenty and able to fight, becoming like Lex and manipulating people to keep Clark safe. It has been done. I don't want to see Martha turned into another Lionel Character. (Working with Martian Manhunter?) I was kind of looking forward to her just coming back as "Mom".

Maybe I'm wrong, but this smells like something Smallville would do.

JediTricks
05-14-2010, 11:39 PM
That was awesome!!! Start to finish, it worked so well. And what an ending. The effects work wasn't the finest, but this was comic bookery at its finest. I just finished it, totally dug it.

JediTricks
05-15-2010, 02:48 PM
How can none of you have cared about that episode? It starts with a full-fledged Superman adventure peek at Clark's future complete with "OLSON!" and Lex running for president, switches to "now" only to give Clark the Superman costume, and that's BEFORE THE CREDITS! Then we get the Justice League bickering over the vidphone, CGI making Zod's army burn his name into world monuments (and lighting the great wall of China on fire!), the promise of Kandor and it having to take Clark away, Tess getting burned alive (yay!), Clark choosing to go to save Earth but not able to say goodbye to Lois, Zod using Lois thinking he's the blur against Clark, Ollie and Chloe having to face their feelings as Ollie is attacked by numerous unknowns, and then the awesome ending with the rise to the heavens and the big fight between Zod and Clark, Lois getting her kiss from The Blur, Clark finally using some smarts against Zod, and the "Superman is a metaphor for Jesus" ending (which I personally don't subscribe to, but hey, it was still a wild ending). HOW COULD YOU NOT DIG IT?!? Smallville season 9 actually went out with the biggest bang of the SERIES, the words "to be continued" haven't meant as much summer drama since Riker ordered the Enterprise to fire on the cube with Picard still inside.

I guess I'll wait until a few more folks have commented here (to avoid spoilerizing folks even more than I just did) before expressing my opinions on how they'll get out of this.

LTBasker
05-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Hmm, I'll give it a watch later and let you know. Although, you point out that they lit the Great Wall on fire... Aside from maybe foliage build up, I'm pretty sure it's not made of anything flammable?

Edit: Well, watched it, and while it was better than the last few episodes I've seen, the writing was still as sloppy as you can expect from Smallville. Despite that, though, it was mostly entertaining. Not something to gush over, though. Calm down. :p I'll probably watch the next episode, but I'm expecting them to continue to avoid him becoming Superman. The intro, as cheesily humorous as it was, just reeks of being a simple ploy with no actual promise, otherwise I doubt they would have continued to be so coy about showing him. And the eye-reflection was horrible.

Do you suppose they were referencing anything with the facial burn being completely flat down the center of the face? :rolleyes:

Droid
05-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I thought Martha being the Red Queen was terrible in the episode before last. Did she actually KILL people as the Queen? Does Clark approve of that?

I thought they did a nice job of showing the characters miss Jonathon and making me miss Jonathon.

I really hope Tess is actually dead, useless character.

It was a nice finale. I was really thinking that all the Kryptonians would be sucked into Acropolis with Darkseid. Think Darkseid's minions grabbed Ollie? Who did? Who was the old woman knitting outside Tess' room? (Lex in diguise?)

I was so pleased to finally have Kryptonians hear someone whispering, a pet peeve of mine on this show.

So how come Clark didn't get sucked up with the others before Zod pulled out the Kryptonite knife?

Loved the opening. I was really hoping Clark would don the tights in this one and they'd have next year really be a Superman show.

JediTricks
05-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Hmm, I'll give it a watch later and let you know. Although, you point out that they lit the Great Wall on fire... Aside from maybe foliage build up, I'm pretty sure it's not made of anything flammable?

Edit: Well, watched it, and while it was better than the last few episodes I've seen, the writing was still as sloppy as you can expect from Smallville. Despite that, though, it was mostly entertaining. Not something to gush over, though. Calm down. :p I'll probably watch the next episode, but I'm expecting them to continue to avoid him becoming Superman. The intro, as cheesily humorous as it was, just reeks of being a simple ploy with no actual promise, otherwise I doubt they would have continued to be so coy about showing him. And the eye-reflection was horrible.

Do you suppose they were referencing anything with the facial burn being completely flat down the center of the face? :rolleyes:Dude, it had everything Smallville has been lacking, even Clark got airborne... from a certain point of view. :p All the stuff we've been complaining about not having, there it was.

Do I think she's Two-Face? No. Do I think she's two-faced? Yes. :D Do I think that was Lex knitting? Maybe.

I thought Martha being the Red Queen was terrible in the episode before last. Did she actually KILL people as the Queen? Does Clark approve of that? I agree, although I don't believe the Red Queen actually killed anybody in the eps. On the other hand, I was far happier to find out the Red Queen wasn't Lana (who is red-haired in the comics).

So how come Clark didn't get sucked up with the others before Zod pulled out the Kryptonite knife?Why didn't Zod? Same thing, CPD.

Loved the opening. I was really hoping Clark would don the tights in this one and they'd have next year really be a Superman show. Oh man, they are going to hear so much about that at Comic-Con.

Droid
05-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Why didn't Zod? Same thing, CPD.

I thought maybe Zod was close enough to it, or perhaps that Zod had cut himself somewhere so as to be human before he did the full reveal of the knife to Clark.

CPD. (Contrived plot device?)

When Lois said "Clark" after kissing the blur, do you think that she knew she had been kissing Clark (as was implied) or that she realized that she needed to go find Clark to patch things up?

So how does Clark get out of falling off the building? Pulls the knife out himself? Martian Manhunter flies up and catches him? He hits the ground and someone pulls the knife out and then he heals? (Seem to remember that the actor who played Jimmy Olsen in the films played a character killed by Brainiac because Blue Kryptonite made him able to die like a human.)

So who is attacking Green Arrow?

I liked when Green Arrow called Hawkman "Tweety."

I could totally live with this show continuing if they'd do a few seasons with Clark as Superman. They could do the scripts far enough in advance to film a bunch of Perry White scenes at once and disperse them through episodes since Michael McKean probably wouldn't sign on full time.

I like how they change Kryptonite and its affect on Kryptonians to suit the episode. So many episodes wouldn't have allowed Clark to crawl away from the person with Kryptonite. How did Zod get far enough away from Tess to use the heat vision? I do, by the way, love the idea of a Kryptonian just attacking people with heat vision from a distance.

Didn't the preview suggest the season finale would be showed in black and white?

I also thought the preview showed the voice of Jor-El, must have been a clip from a previous episode.

They sure have crept away from the original Jor-El message - "They are a flawed race. Rule them with strength, my son." They've made Jor-El nicer to the humans since then!

Think Tess is coming back or she is done?
EDIT: I kept trying to remember the name of a DC character. I kept thinking it was Mother Goose or Granny Goose or something dumb. I finally remembered: Granny Goodness, who is tied in with Darkseid somehow. That is who I think was outside Tess' room. Think she'll bring Tess back to life as one of Darkseid's minions?

Tycho
05-18-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm caught up on some Smallville now and I really liked the end of the season.

It makes me want to rewatch all my seasons of DVD. But I think I'll finish the A-Team first - FOOL!

LTBasker
05-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Dude, it had everything Smallville has been lacking

True, for the most part.

even Clark got airborne... from a certain point of view. :p

Hard not to appreciate it when you put it like that. :D

All the stuff we've been complaining about not having, there it was.

Except for decent dialogue. My ears bled a little at "my heart's not broken, it's shattered." :p

Do I think she's Two-Face? No. Do I think she's two-faced? Yes. :D

Well, wasn't implying they're making her Two-Face, but rather just pointing out that it really came off as a cheesy way of saying "ha-ha, this is how faces burn in the DC universe!!!!11"

Do I think that was Lex knitting? Maybe.

That was a pretty weird character, and I've seen some interesting theories as to who that was. Granny Goodness is a popular theory, but that seems like a major leap and I really don't know how I feel about that.

It makes me want to rewatch all my seasons of DVD. But I think I'll finish the A-Team first - FOOL!

No, no, Tycho: "Foo!"

Lord Malakite
05-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Looks like CW just announced that Season 10 will be the final season for Smallville.

JetsAndHeels
05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Looks like CW just announced that Season 10 will be the final season for Smallville.

Season 4 was actually the last one. Five through ten are just filler material.

JediTricks
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
I thought maybe Zod was close enough to it, or perhaps that Zod had cut himself somewhere so as to be human before he did the full reveal of the knife to Clark.If that were the case, they would have had to have shown/said it.

CPD. (Contrived plot device?)Exactly.

When Lois said "Clark" after kissing the blur, do you think that she knew she had been kissing Clark (as was implied) or that she realized that she needed to go find Clark to patch things up?While they could cheap out and go the other way, I am pretty confident she knew the Blur was Clark.

So how does Clark get out of falling off the building? Pulls the knife out himself? Martian Manhunter flies up and catches him? He hits the ground and someone pulls the knife out and then he heals? (Seem to remember that the actor who played Jimmy Olsen in the films played a character killed by Brainiac because Blue Kryptonite made him able to die like a human.)Even if he pulled the knife out, without powers he wouldn't be able to get it away from him in time to save himself. My first instinct is Martian Manhunter, he can fly and knows the score and thinks of Clark fondly. I hope they wouldn't do the "he's dead, he's not dead" thing though, that would be cheap.

So who is attacking Green Arrow?No clue, very intriguing. My first guess is Checkmate had robot drones or something of that nature, or Lex could have loosened his meteor freak army. Based on your comment about Granny Goodness though, it could maybe work out that they're minions from Apokolips, but that'd be a stretch that they'd boom-tube right to Green Arrow's location.

I liked when Green Arrow called Hawkman "Tweety."Yeah, that was good.

I could totally live with this show continuing if they'd do a few seasons with Clark as Superman. They could do the scripts far enough in advance to film a bunch of Perry White scenes at once and disperse them through episodes since Michael McKean probably wouldn't sign on full time.Yes, definitely!

I like how they change Kryptonite and its affect on Kryptonians to suit the episode. So many episodes wouldn't have allowed Clark to crawl away from the person with Kryptonite. How did Zod get far enough away from Tess to use the heat vision? I do, by the way, love the idea of a Kryptonian just attacking people with heat vision from a distance.Not to mention she really bombed on him with those kryptonite knuckles, he should have been hurting for a while. But they've always played fast and loose with this, and anything to kill Tess is fine by me. ;)

Didn't the preview suggest the season finale would be showed in black and white?I don't remember that.

I also thought the preview showed the voice of Jor-El, must have been a clip from a previous episode.That however I do remember in the preview, and was surprised when Jor-El stayed silent.

They sure have crept away from the original Jor-El message - "They are a flawed race. Rule them with strength, my son." They've made Jor-El nicer to the humans since then!I've always wanted them to own that screwup, to do something with it. Instead, they've walked away from it and it's built a poor foundation in the audiences' minds for Clark's training that we don't get to see.

Think Tess is coming back or she is done?Probably coming back, unfortunately.

EDIT: I kept trying to remember the name of a DC character. I kept thinking it was Mother Goose or Granny Goose or something dumb. I finally remembered: Granny Goodness, who is tied in with Darkseid somehow. That is who I think was outside Tess' room. Think she'll bring Tess back to life as one of Darkseid's minions?Tess being taken by Granny Goodness? Interesting. I've never liked Darkseid in the Superman lore, but it would be a different angle.

Hard not to appreciate it when you put it like that. :DThaaaaat's right!

Except for decent dialogue. My ears bled a little at "my heart's not broken, it's shattered." :pThaaaaat's right.

Well, wasn't implying they're making her Two-Face, but rather just pointing out that it really came off as a cheesy way of saying "ha-ha, this is how faces burn in the DC universe!!!!11"Haw! But no, in this case you have kryptonian eye-precision to thank.

Looks like CW just announced that Season 10 will be the final season for Smallville.I'm not counting it out just yet.

Droid
05-21-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm not counting it out just yet.

I just hope that they really, really structure it to be a series finale and then if it comes back great.

If Welling wants to be done, then they're done. I personally think he doesn't want to wear the cosutme and thinks it would look stupid.

However, I think they are putting together something really good that if they would let him be Superman and have a Superman TV show, with all of the flawed, but rich, backstory they have now developed, it could be a great TV show.

The show is improved and he has grown into the role. He really seems like Superman to me. I'd personally say after Christopher Reeve he's the second best person cast in the role.

Droid
06-02-2010, 10:20 AM
So I'm waiting for any day there to be a casting announcement that some young, good looking white guy has been cast as Darkseid for next season. Smallville has an annoying habit, often to save on effects I'm sure, of turning Superman villains into just some handsome guy.

Let's see:

Lex
Zod
Mr. Mxyzptlk
Metallo
Doomsday
Brainiac
Bizarro
Parasite
Toyman

I know that some of these characters ARE white guys and I wouldn't call the guy they had play Toyman good looking, but as I said, I can just see Darkseid as some regular fellow, maybe with a British accent. Then they'll have like one shot of old stone face and the fans will act excited.

JediTricks
06-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I have never been a fan of Darkseid in general, but yours is a very good reason why I wouldn't want them to try this for Smallville.

Tycho
06-06-2010, 12:18 PM
It's way past time that they have an appearance of Batman - somehow.

Clark meets a rich, slightly older guy who drives a Lamborghini and takes an interest in fighting organized crime.

Clark tries to intervene in some underworld danger but is beaten to the punch by "something."

Witnesses say they saw a shadow and a dark cape. They think a character was masked.

Maybe the bad guys are left hanging upside down by cables, wrapped up for the police by an unknown vigilante.

That is all.

The rich guy with the Lamborghini makes a classy exit.

Clark and Green Arrow, et. all, realize they are not alone. Martian Manhunter confirms it and says that this individual "from out of town" wants to keep his identity secret and doesn't trust many others.