PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine drops his facade.

Jedi Clint
08-24-2001, 08:12 PM
Underneath his pleasant, compassionate exterior Chancellor Palpatine is the wrinkled, red eyed Emperor from ROTJ. I do not expect the audience will see Palpatine show his true personality until the third act of the PT.

I started this topic to discuss the different ways this event could transpire.

Here are factors that I think would enhance the scene or are necessary for it to happen.

For Palpatine to express this side of himself, he either needs to be EXTREMELY secure in his office (more so than I think he will be at the close of E3), or he is interacting with a character that either doesn't threaten to expose him, or is someone that he can trust. I don't think that he can simply step into the freshly dubbed Emperor's pod in the Senate chamber and begin hissing at his fellow politicians as he does when speaking to Vader in ROTJ.

The nature of the third film could also play into this revelation. According to Lucas it is primarily about Anakin Skywalker's fall from grace. The Anakin we see at the end of AOTC will most likely not be the Anakin we see at the open of E3, or the Anakin we see at the close of the film. I think that being involved in the war effort is partially responsible for the change we see at the open of E3, but his developing relationship with Palpatine is probably a major factor as well.

The changing of the gaurd could influence the nature of the revelation as well. It is possible that the Jedi instigate the rebellion against Palpatine. There reason for doing so may very well be because Palpatine has allowed the Jedi to see him for what he is, knowing that their only choice would be to turn on him when his popularity is at it's peek.

Theory 1:

A Jedi (perhaps Obi Wan) confronts Palpatine and his appearance changes as well as his personality. Eyes glow red, etc.

Theory 2:

The revelation of the fully realized Darth Vader is twinned with Palpatine's revelation to the audience. We see the two conversing and Vader's dark robed master lifts his head enough to see the face beneath the hood.

It could also be a combination of the above theories, or something entirely different.

Got a theory on this revelation?

bigbarada
08-24-2001, 08:40 PM
GL said in an interview once that the entire outline for the prequels could be found in the prologue of the original Star Wars novelization published in 1976. The exact quote from the book concerning Palpatine's actions once in power is:

"Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitous Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears."

Of course, when he actually feels secure in office is another matter. But I think ten years (between Ep1 and 2) is plenty of time to secure himself in the position. So we might see him declare himself Emperor in Ep2 but most likely Ep3.

JediTricks
08-25-2001, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
GL said in an interview once that the entire outline for the prequels could be found in the prologue of the original Star Wars novelization published in 1976. The exact quote from the book concerning Palpatine's actions once in power is:

"Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitous Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears." Hmmm... sounds like someone else... but who? (here's a hint: first name is "George", last name is "Lucas") ;)

I think once GL decided to add Gungans and Qui-Gon and a 9-year-old Anakin slave subplot that wasn't in the original story, he sorta left that little blurb about being true to the prologue behind.

I think Palpatine will show his true self by the middle of Ep 2, with obvious hints that are totally abused by Ep 3.

bigbarada
08-25-2001, 01:50 PM
Wow, I never thought of it that way, JT, but now that you mention it it does sound just like GL. MY GOD!! I've been a pawn my whole life, dupped into furthering the ambitions of one man!!!! My whole life is a lie!!!! What am I......ooooooh, looky new Star Wars toys!!!!.......

GNT
08-26-2001, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Hmmm... sounds like someone else... but who? (here's a hint: first name is "George", last name is "Lucas") ;)

Are you talking about our George Lucas,Star Wars God?

:confused:

JediTricks
08-26-2001, 11:42 AM
Sorry GNT, barada got it first. :D

Lucas also said he didn't want to be a corporate-type guy who's all about money like his dad when he was older...

Jedi Clint
08-26-2001, 09:13 PM
"I think Palpatine will show his true self by the middle of Ep 2, with obvious hints that are totally abused by Ep 3."

Would you care to elaborate JT?

"Of course, when he actually feels secure in office is another matter. But I think ten years (between Ep1 and 2) is plenty of time to secure himself in the position. So we might see him declare himself Emperor in Ep2 but most likely Ep3."

I agree for the most part bigbarada.

evenflow
08-27-2001, 10:10 AM
This may sound a little crazy, but the Emperor can be viewed much like Hitler. A man who obtained the confidence of the people, rose up into power, and eventually taking total control and becoming emperor. I think that the nice guy image of Palpatine with last as long as possible before the Emperor comes out.

JediTricks
08-27-2001, 11:12 AM
You could take that Hitler metaphor even further with the use of anti-alien platforms to further his political standing with the people, and Palpatine's use of "stormtroopers".

As for my comments, in Ep 2 I think we'll have Palpatine wearing a Darth Sidious robe and taking off the hood, and acting more like the Emperor did in ROTJ, and by Ep 3 it'll be ridiculous with "Palpatine is Sidious" references, worse than ROTJ with "Vader is Luke's dad" stuff.

scruffziller
06-12-2002, 08:10 PM
I have been looking for an "evil grin" on Palpy for the last 2 movies. I thought I had seen one as Amidala was walking out of his office on TPM but it wasn't one. Palpy has been doing a good job of not letting "the audience" know (if we didn't) that he is up to something.

Jedi Clint
06-12-2002, 11:09 PM
I am sure he'll let loose for the audience in E3 :)

Fulit
06-12-2002, 11:18 PM
It's all in the teeth. I think we'll see in E3 that Palpy has stopped cleaning his teeth, and they'll start to look like they do in E6, like he's been eating spinach and not brushing afterward. Nothing like a rotten mouth to show how evil you are. Do Sith hate dentists as well as Jedi?

DeadEye
06-13-2002, 10:15 AM
I thought everyone hated dentists. (and lawyers, too.) :p

To quote Seinfeld, "He's an anti-dentite!"

MikeAndTheBots
06-13-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
You could take that Hitler metaphor even further with the use of anti-alien platforms to further his political standing with the people, and Palpatine's use of "stormtroopers".

As for my comments, in Ep 2 I think we'll have Palpatine wearing a Darth Sidious robe and taking off the hood, and acting more like the Emperor did in ROTJ, and by Ep 3 it'll be ridiculous with "Palpatine is Sidious" references, worse than ROTJ with "Vader is Luke's dad" stuff.
Just to add to the whole palpatine/hitler thing, if I'm not mistaken the Republic's symbol has 8 spokes whereas the Empire's has 6. Palpy took them off of the ancient symbol as a sign of disrespect and hitler did a similar thing with the swastika.

Laserbrain
06-14-2002, 12:45 AM
Was the evil smirk sequence from E1 cut short in the video? I remember seeing it prominently in the theater but I've never seen it as well at home.

Of course it could just be me...

El Chuxter
12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
I thought this said "Palpatine drops his face."

No joke. I figured that would be messy.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-24-2010, 11:57 AM
No, Palps was building a new theater, and when his hired hands called in sick, he had to use the Force himself to lift up the front design part. Someone startled him, and he then dropped the facade (the one that he owned, HIS facade).