PDA

View Full Version : 2009 The Phantom Menace wave

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2009, 04:10 PM
The main page has pictures. God, these cards are terrible. The white really makes them look empty. Rum Sleg's picture is just the figure itself, and Sidious's is from ROTJ!

Obi-Wan doesn't look too great. They put in the better lightsaber, per someone's request from Q&A, but they didn't paint the details. The Gungan Warrior's paint is pretty abysmal. The others look pretty good, though.

JEDIpartner
05-22-2009, 04:27 PM
The cards look cleaner to me. I don't mind them. Then again, I don't care about the cards. I just care about the figures not sucking. I think the Obi-Wan looks okay. His "tail" looks a little too long, however.

El Chuxter
05-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Is there a figure not shown? The BAD looks to be missing an arm.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2009, 05:46 PM
The other figure is Queen Amidala in her purple leaving Coruscant/Qui-Gon's funeral outfit.

El Chuxter
05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Ah, gotcha! :thumbsup:

Even with a redone Obi-Wan (one of the few remaining sorely needed updates), this looks like a wave worth getting in its entirety.

DarkJedi5
05-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I really hope they paint Obi's lightsaber. It looks terrible just silver. And does anyone know if the Gungan Warrior's horn holster there is removable?

Blue2th
05-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm liking all these for the most part, though Obi-wan's braid looks like a tentacle coming out of his head. The fiber braid on Ep. 1 Obi was better looking.

Gungan warrior is cool with 14 points, SA looks like, and some neat accessories.

Definitely want Sidious. He'd work good for a Clone Wars scene also.

I like the obscure Rum Sleg too. This will probably be the only Rum we ever get, since Hasbro usually only puts out these kind of characters once.

Qui-Long Gone
05-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I was looking forward to the Obi, but maybe not now with tentacle braid....yikes....:rolleyes:

figrin bran
05-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I prefer these cards over the current ones.

I definitely want to complete L8-L9. Fortunately, every figure in the wave is a buy for me so I won't have to resort to repack figures in this wave for droid pieces.

Darth Jax
05-22-2009, 11:40 PM
doesn't really matter what they look like yet, since i'm not likely to see them until 2011. i've rarely encountered the ANH wave and have yet to see any evidence of the ESB wave at retail.

JetsAndHeels
05-23-2009, 12:30 AM
The white really makes them look empty.

The Sidious looks really, really empty. However I agree with what JP said....I am more interested in the figures themselves.

sebillba
05-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Well my hopes for Clegg Holdfast being a 2-pack with Ratts Tyerell (as recently indicated on Entertainment Earth) were short lived, and I'm not overly impressed with the figure we're getting - it looks more like the prototype (1st pic) and not as good as the more recent image (2nd pic).

Also, I wish it was Nute Gunray coming with the chair instead of Sidious - I've stopped buying holo figures, but seeing as I'll have to get this one (for the BAD part and the chair), I'd rather have a new character - I've got more than enough holo Emperors already.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Well my hopes for Clegg Holdfast being a 2-pack with Ratts Tyerell (as recently indicated on Entertainment Earth) were short lived, and I'm not overly impressed with the figure we're getting - it looks more like the prototype (1st pic) and not as good as the more recent image (2nd pic).
That's not a prototype. I wouldn't be surprised if the figures in those pictures were the same one. The second one just looks better since it's the official Hasbro photography that they'll use on the packaging and so on.

Slicker
05-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, the first pic looks more believable. The paint on the second one is too perfect and multilayered to be a production figure.

El Chuxter
05-23-2009, 05:42 PM
It's the PhotoShop magic Hasbro has been so fond of for a few years. Y'know, the stuff that made the OTC 12" Luke look like the best 12" figure ever in preview pics, when it turned out to be among the worst when it actually came out.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-23-2009, 05:44 PM
It's the PhotoShop magic Hasbro has been so fond of for a few years. Y'know, the stuff that made the OTC 12" Luke look like the best 12" figure ever in preview pics, when it turned out to be among the worst when it actually came out.
PhotoShop could be involved, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to the studio lighting (as well as being a handpainted sample). I think they've said as much in one of the Q&As.

El Chuxter
05-23-2009, 05:47 PM
They can say what they want, and this one actually isn't too bad, but the lighting and shading on some of the official figure pics would, at the very least, require multiple photos of the figure in the same position with different light sources being spliced together. Even with multiple light sources in a controlled environment, light just doesn't do some of the things we've seen from Hasbro pics.

AmanaMatt
05-23-2009, 06:48 PM
well, Hasbros love of W I D E stanced figures continues with this wave....enough is enough with crap poses. Wave looks decent - I will pass on all except the helmet alien -just not a EP 1 fan!

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I am pretty sure the head on the loose pic of Obi-Wan has been photoshopped on by Hasbro. I'm a little annoyed that 10 years later we STILL won't have an Ep 1 Obi-Wan that looks like the character as portrayed in the movie.

That Gungan looks kinda beefy thanks to the ball-style shoulders.

Rum Sleg is a sight weirder than I expected. The torso is way longer than the legs, it's kinda weird looking. And the helmet off looks like Jason Voorhees.

The ROTJ picture on the Holo Sidious card is pretty silly.

I don't remember Clegg Holdfast being so steampunk in his outfit. His alien face sure is a goofy looking thing.

PhotoShop could be involved, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to the studio lighting (as well as being a handpainted sample). I think they've said as much in one of the Q&As.Feb 27th:

CollectionStation.com: As fans of Hasbro's lines, we've seen this for years: official Hasbro images for retailers and on packaging that employ a dark look as if photoshopped to enhance shadows, surfaces and edges. This gives the overall look of the toy increased realism, but often the production deco of the toy can't really live up to that. While there is a fine-print proviso on the packaging about such things, it's still a little unusual. Why does Hasbro employ this tactic so often with their official photography, and why not simply give each toy a subtle, simple paint wash to actually bring those lines out and give them the realistic look which the packaging shows could be possible?

Hasbro: We have been employing the same package photographic techniques for a number of years, designed to involve the characters in a realistic scene with the intent of achieving an atmospheric feel. It really is just that - an intent to establish an atmospheric mood - and not meant to promise more or different deco than the figures actually have. You are right - the photos have more darkness and edge to them than the actual figures. We have experimented with paint wipes before, with not so great results (some of the previous Cinema Scenes, the one with Wuher in particular come to mind). The bottom line is that they are very difficult to execute in an even way, and some wipes become much "harder" than others and can be undesirable as an addition to one's collection. We like where the figures currently sit regarding their degree of "realism" and edge and will stick with that.
Doesn't really confirm one way or the other.

Obsession is Nute
05-25-2009, 04:29 PM

Also, I wish it was Nute Gunray coming with the chair instead of Sidious - I've stopped buying holo figures, but seeing as I'll have to get this one (for the BAD part and the chair), I'd rather have a new character - I've got more than enough holo Emperors already.

I am all for more Nute, but I like that we are finally getting a halo Sidious. I agree with JabbaJohn, I am not a fan of this new packaging. It really does make it look like we are getting less. I usually do not mind the packaging too much as I remove my figures from it; but this new design doesn't look good at all. IMO.

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I am all for more Nute, but I like that we are finally getting a halo Sidious.

You do know that a holo Sidious has already been made right? Just wondering.

Obsession is Nute
05-25-2009, 07:10 PM
You do know that a holo Sidious has already been made right? Just wondering.

Was that an exclusive? It must have been since I have been collecting since 1996 and don't recall a PT Holo Sidious having been produced. Otherwise I would own him. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Was that an exclusive? It must have been since I have been collecting since 1996 and don't recall a PT Holo Sidious having been produced. Otherwise I would own him. :)
There was a Holographic Darth Sidious (http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeIsidiousholo.asp) based on the regular Episode I figure at the tail end of the Episode I line in early 2000; my dad found this for me, and it was extremely rare. There was also a Holographic Emperor Palpatine based on the 1997 figure released through StarWarsShop.com in late 2004 to commemorate Ian McDiarmid being inserted into the DVD of ESB. There was yet another Palpatine released by Toys R Us in 2005 as some kind of promotion, not to mention the giant bust version released at Comic-Con last year. The first one is the only real choice for a full-sized TPM figure; the other two have the post-Mace melty face, and the new one is going to be slightly smaller than scale, like how he was while being projected from the mechno-chair. So the new one is the first holographic Sidious/Palpatine since 2000 that isn't an exclusive and doesn't have the melty face.

JetsAndHeels
05-26-2009, 12:31 AM
I was lucky enough to get 2 of the Ep1 holo Sidious figures (I bought one and then my roommate at the time traded me his). I also got the one from comic con last year (through hasbro toyshop).

The selling point of this new one for me is going to be the mechanical chair.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-07-2009, 07:27 PM
YodasNews.com got in pictures of Queen Amidala and repacks of the Biker Scout and shirtless Darth Maul. Amidala's paint is horrible so she looks like a man . . . fantastic.

DarkJedi5
06-08-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't think that's the paint. I think it's the sculpt because the shape of her face and jaw are to manly.

Qui-Long Gone
06-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Amidala's paint is horrible so she looks like a man . . . fantastic.

Where did you think Monkey-faced Leia get her good looks?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't think that's the paint. I think it's the sculpt because the shape of her face and jaw are to manly.
It might be the lighting, or something, since in this picture (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=29732) she looks great. I'm also wondering what the deal is with her skirt - in the Toy Fair pic, it looks straight, but in the new one, it's like she's running in the wind. Maybe it has something to do with her arms concealing the windswept look. Hopefully it looks good in person.

JediTricks
06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
YodasNews.com got in pictures of Queen Amidala and repacks of the Biker Scout and shirtless Darth Maul. Amidala's paint is horrible so she looks like a man . . . fantastic.
Amidala's problems seem to be a lack of definition around her face (the paint covers the subtle cheek lines, and blends into the hair bags), deep-set small eyes (paint design failure mixed with tooling design), strong eyebrows (also a paint problem), but also a narrower nose that's set higher from the mouth (mold design failure), a thinner mouth which doesn't go wide enough or thick enough or drape with the nasal folds (mold design again), and a squared jawline that has bold cheekbones (all mold problems). This one is a factory tooling screwup, they took the prototype and didn't translate it properly, the end result is a manly figure.

That said, the carded photo from Hasbro isn't as offensive as the loose, and usually the Hasbro studio photos are more accurate to the carded shot than the loose shot this late in the game.

There's so much lost in the sculpt and paint of the outfit too. I think Hasbro needs to walk away from TPM Amidala figures, they just haven't got the touch.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2009, 01:48 PM
There's so much lost in the sculpt and paint of the outfit too. I think Hasbro needs to walk away from TPM Amidala figures, they just haven't got the touch.
I think all the other ones are fine, up to and including last year's pre-Senate gown figure from the Evolutions set. The only manly figure along these lines that I can think of is the Rabé from the post-OTC line, of which this new one reminded me. Besides, they've only got one completely new Queen Amidala figure to do, which is the foreign residence gown (if you don't count the orange handmaiden disguise, the Senate cloak, or any updates).

JediTricks
06-17-2009, 06:24 PM
IMO, the only one that's ever worked was the one from the beginning of TPM, the "lights" dress.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
That's one of my favorites, but why is that the only good one in your eyes? What do you think is wrong with the others - face, costume, or what?

JediTricks
06-18-2009, 03:37 PM
That's one of my favorites, but why is that the only good one in your eyes? What do you think is wrong with the others - face, costume, or what?Queen Amidala figures by line (and thus date):
Ep I

naboo - bland but ok likeness, plastic skirt horribly limits pose, arms kinda stuck as-is.
coruscant - noteworthy but odd costume, saltshaker figure, arms seem like she can't put them down, missing outer cloak.
battle - fixes naboo leg poseability problem, leaves arms, and sleeve design is lazier. likeness isn't really there and neck design ends up bizarre, ugly.

POTJ

theed invasion - most noteworthy costume, face is so-so but feminine. figure doesn't seem lost in costume or have arms sticking out.
royal decoy - turkey costume, sculpting makes figure look like a fatty, yellow paint doesn't work very well, black color seems too simplistic, sculpting a bit lazy and doesn't convey proper dress desgin, arms horrible.
Sabe - not iconic costume, simplistic design, colors not accurate, face a bit manly, arms stuck in weapon pose looks lousy when not used for this.

Post OTC

celebration ceremony - face sculpt interesting in that it looks like her but has a big nose and lips, all ruined by poor paint. skin tone isn't accurate to movie, not wearing pale pink makeup. outfit kinda works but seems less regal and more boring in translation, and she can't do all that much as a figure but stand there and hold a globe.
Rabe - manly, awful face. arms a disaster. salt shaker.

TLC

evolutions - fair, but soft sculpt. simplistic doll face paint. a snore of a costume, even if it is memorable.
travel - the one we're complaining about right now.

And note that the only one which can sit down is the battle costume, one of the very few costumes she's NOT seen wearing while sitting.

There's just 1 costume left to make, another boring black number, the leaving Coruscant one. But out of all of these, the only one I really consider worthwhile is the Theed Invasion lights one, it's the only one that stands out and says 'Queen Amidala' to me.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-18-2009, 08:19 PM
There's just 1 costume left to make, another boring black number, the leaving Coruscant one. But out of all of these, the only one I really consider worthwhile is the Theed Invasion lights one, it's the only one that stands out and says 'Queen Amidala' to me.There's also the purple return to Naboo version. Then there are several outfits from AOTC and ROTS that haven't been done.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-18-2009, 11:12 PM
There's also the purple return to Naboo version. Then there are several outfits from AOTC and ROTS that haven't been done.
The purple one is coming in the wave that's being discussed in this thread.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-19-2009, 12:41 AM
The purple one is coming in the wave that's being discussed in this thread.

That's right. For some reason I was thinking of the one we already got in Evolutions and forgot that the purple one was on the way.

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Then there are several outfits from AOTC and ROTS that haven't been done.Yes, but this is the TPM thread, and I honestly don't believe most collectors even think about any of the other movies' Padme costumes. I doubt most audiences anywhere would remember over 10% of these costumes:
http://www.padawansguide.com/padme.shtml
http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3.shtml

DarkJedi5
06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
While I won't argue with you JT I do think there are 3 to 5 important costumes from AOTC that have yet to be done and maybe 2 more I would consider necessary.

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
I'd argue that only 2 are left of any merit, the travel gown and the packing gown. The rest are barely in the film and not in scenes of any note, IIRC (1 of those senate gowns notwithstanding, but it's just not very important and would make for an incredibly boring action figure).

Mad Slanted Powers
06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd argue that only 2 are left of any merit, the travel gown and the packing gown. The rest are barely in the film and not in scenes of any note, IIRC (1 of those senate gowns notwithstanding, but it's just not very important and would make for an incredibly boring action figure).
There are 15 on the AOTC page, and they've made 5 of them. Other than the battle outfit, none of them were in the film for very long. I'd be interested in most of them. The one senate gown and the family costume were from cut scenes, and the Coruscant nightgown is barely seen. All the rest got about as much screen time as some that have been made.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2009, 12:50 AM
I'd like to see all of them, but if I had to choose a few, I'd pick senate gown (the one actually in the movie), lake gown, and picnic gown from AOTC; long velvet cloak, green cut velvet, and purple senate from ROTS. I'd gladly buy any of them, but many of them are pretty similar to one another or not that memorable.

DarkJedi5
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
I would add the packing gown from AOTC. It doesn't get a lot of screen time, but the hair is, I believe, the first time we see Padme do the Leia buns and the entire ensemble is similar to some of Padme's Clone Wars (original series) outfits.

Droid
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I could care less about most of the remaining Padme figures. I don't need any more from Episodes I or II. I would be mildly interested in a figure of Padme from Episode III with the Leia hairbuns, from the Senate when Palpatine announces the formation of the Empire, from the hospital birthing scene, and from her funeral. MILDLY.

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 01:27 AM
I really don't understand why anybody would want most of those beyond the odd "gotta catch 'em all" collectors who are few and far between.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-26-2009, 02:11 PM
I really don't understand why anybody would want most of those beyond the odd "gotta catch 'em all" collectors who are few and far between.
Well, I'm one of them, so that's why. :D

DarkJedi5
06-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I am also, I like to be able to make a diorama or at least set up a scene for any part of the movie. So that does require all the unique costumes. Now, I don't do the boring scenes so that rules out a bunch of the Padme costumes but I wouldn't mind having most of them.

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, I'm one of them, so that's why. :DBeyond that, what makes it an appealing choice that helps keep the line going? There's 9 more years of this license left, Yarna and Breha Organa-esque mistakes like uninteresting, low-demand Padme costumes seem like more chances to not get the other figures you want. And it's not like Hasbro has a great track record with Padme designs anyway.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-27-2009, 01:35 AM
Part of it is that I just like the designs. I think that most people, even those who don't really like TPM or the PT in general, have to agree that the costume design was phenomenal and that Padmé's outfits are prime examples of that. Most of them are very unique and add quite a lot of color and flair to a collection of mostly white, brown, gray, and black-clad characters.

Even though Yarna is still a heavy (zing!) pegwarmer, and Breha overstayed her welcome (though it seems she's clearing out in my area), none of the Padmé figures have ever pegwarmed as far as I can recall. Even her Evolutions set is gone while the pilots ones sit and collect dust. That might just be attributed to them knowing how many to produce, but then that means future Padmés likely won't pegwarm either.

As for Amidala figures taking up slots that other figures could occupy, well, I'd rather have a new Amidala outfit than anything from the EU, but that doesn't stop them from cranking out those characters. And as I said before, I like all the figures they've made of her, even if you don't.

It might be interesting to ask Hasbro about this . . . I'll write up a question later.

sebillba
06-27-2009, 01:57 AM
none of the Padmé figures have ever pegwarmed as far as I can recall.

Fireside Padme is still pegwarming in my TRU.

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Part of it is that I just like the designs. I think that most people, even those who don't really like TPM or the PT in general, have to agree that the costume design was phenomenal and that Padmé's outfits are prime examples of that. Most of them are very unique and add quite a lot of color and flair to a collection of mostly white, brown, gray, and black-clad characters.I would definitely NOT agree. Most of Padme's prequel costumes are fairly boring IMO and un-noteworthy. Most aren't even as colorful as all that. And they put so much effort into those fine details which get TOTALLY lost even on the biggest of screens, yet don't stop to consider how the overall costume functions on that same screen.

Even though Yarna is still a heavy (zing!) pegwarmer, and Breha overstayed her welcome (though it seems she's clearing out in my area), none of the Padmé figures have ever pegwarmed as far as I can recall. Even her Evolutions set is gone while the pilots ones sit and collect dust. That might just be attributed to them knowing how many to produce, but then that means future Padmés likely won't pegwarm either.The very last one was a massive pegwarmer, Pregnant Padme. And Pilot Padme was as well. And the very first Amidala figure. I'm not sure how many of the more "gown" designs were pegwarmers, but you're mister "make everything", not me. :p

By the way, retailers say the Padme figures sell HORRIBLY and they often request no more of them for a while. Hasbro has to wait for them to fade in retailers' buyers' memories and then try to sneak another one in on hardcore collectors' request.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-27-2009, 10:39 AM
The very last one was a massive pegwarmer, Pregnant Padme. And Pilot Padme was as well. And the very first Amidala figure. I'm not sure how many of the more "gown" designs were pegwarmers, but you're mister "make everything", not me. :pThe pilot Padmé may have been a problem of distribution or putting too many in the case, because when that one was peg warming, there were just as many Jango Pilots as well.