PDA

View Full Version : Original Star Trek Series Complete Episodes Online

Spectre o'the Phaser
05-23-2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.fancast.com/tv/Star-Trek/96413/full-episodes

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't get Paramount CBS, they put all that money into making TOS presentable with updated effects to grow its appeal, and then let the original versions back out there in secondary syndication and on the web.

El Chuxter
05-23-2009, 03:11 PM
So these are the un-remastered ones? Awesome!

Nothing against the new ones, but they lack the cheese.

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 04:52 PM
The one I pulled up was unremastered. The remastered still have cheese, they are VERY true to the original, they just do it in a visually crisp and clear manner so you can see the silly-looking ship instead of a vague red blob. I strongly recommend to any fan of the original to give remastered a real chance, it's not trying to subvert the original, it's not trying to augment the spirit of what they were doing at all.

El Chuxter
05-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm not against them at all. I just want both or, if only one is available, the one with no CG. From a purely continuity/storytelling aspect, I think the remastered would be better. But it's like the SE's versus the original Star Wars Trilogy: I didn't grow up with a shockwave from the Death Star explosion, I didn't grow up with Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ, and, dagnabbit, I didn't grow up with Star Trek that involved special effects that cost more than the price of pizza for three guys to shake the set.

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 06:27 PM
The classic effects get in the way of the storytelling. They were just too ambitious for their era, especially weekly television, especially NBC continuously slashing their budgets. But the CGI in TOS is nothing like the SW SEs, the changes are made with a conscious effort to remain in the same tone as the original whenever possible.

Let me ask you, have you SEEN any Remastered eps? They didn't change the Horta, for example, they just showed it much crisper than we had ever seen it before - the Horta being an on-set gag instead of a visual effect didn't require CGI'ing, so they merely remastered the original film to a clearer version, and that clarity makes the Horta look even cheesier, if that were possible.

Also, nobody ever shook the sets, they just threw paper mache boulders and told the cast to shake themselves. ;)

LTBasker
05-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I have to agree - the remaster efforts were pretty non-invasive. They'd only be comparable to the SW:SE versions if Kirk waited for the Gorn to shoot first (which would be difficult), they added a couple dozen more Enterprise fly-by shots in each episode and Kirk stepped on Harry Mudd's tail. :pleased:

El Chuxter
05-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I have. Like I said, they look better, especially from a storytelling point of view, but they're not historically the show that aired forty years back.

It seems from everyone I've spoken with about these that it's how you tell a Trekker from someone who likes Star Trek. It's not a knowledge of Klingon or a Federation uniform. It's whether the original effects are good or bad.

JediTricks
05-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I have. Like I said, they look better, especially from a storytelling point of view, but they're not historically the show that aired forty years back.

It seems from everyone I've spoken with about these that it's how you tell a Trekker from someone who likes Star Trek. It's not a knowledge of Klingon or a Federation uniform. It's whether the original effects are good or bad.
Baloney, my grandfather and mother were huge fans of the show in first run, and there's never been a doubt that the effects were quaint, on the bubble. The show merely got past that with storytelling (except when it didn't, ask the giant cat or the overfilled rug on desk chairs what I'm talking about :p).

Anyway, the effects you see on the non-remastered aren't really what aired 40 years ago either, the syndication prints are all decayed from age and use, taken from masters that were poorly cared for and not presented as the originals, and also cut down by a couple minutes.

El Chuxter
05-24-2009, 08:19 PM
I didn't say they were good effects. I said I like them because they're cheesy. You really seem to think I'm far more anti-remastered than I am.

El Chuxter
05-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Or did you read my comment backward from what I intended? I've found Trekkers (including, I'm assuming, you) prefer the newer versions because their focus is more on the story. Casual fans (like myself) seem to tend to enjoy the overall silliness of it all at least as much as the story.