PDA

View Full Version : What's Up?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2009, 09:26 AM
... it's a new Pixar movie, silly. And since there hasn't been a separate thread to discuss it, now there is. Discuss. C'mon discuss! [throws hands like Ed Asner's character does] [bird character mimics that motion] :pleased:

Slicker
05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Genki desu ka?

El Chuxter
05-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Twenty-five years and my life is still tryin' to get up that great big hill of hope for a destination.

Say what you will, they rocked.

sith_killer_99
05-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Genki desu ka?

Hai, genki desu.;)

Someone's enjoying Japan!:thumbsup:

Slicker
05-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Hai, genki desu.;)

Someone's enjoying Japan!:thumbsup:LOLZ! u got me gud!

Oh, wait. This isn't the twitter thread...

And I am indeed enjoying over here...now if I could just enjoy it without going out on cruise every summer...

sith_killer_99
05-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Tell me about it, I only got to spend 2 months in Japan, and I've been trying to get back ever since.:cry:

Rocketboy
05-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Up! is old news.*

What is Brave?
(http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/24/what-is-pixars-brave/#more-29230)

*Not really.

Slicker
05-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Tell me about it, I only got to spend 2 months in Japan, and I've been trying to get back ever since.:cry:Join the Navy. This is about the only place you can get orders to.

sith_killer_99
05-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Join the Navy. This is about the only place you can get orders to.

LOL I have 15 years in, it's kind of late to switch over now. hehehe:laugh:

bobafrett
05-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm a huge Pixar animation fan. I think I've enjoyed everything they have put out so far, so I'm really looking forward to this film. I get all giddy when I see the trailers for it!

TeeEye7
05-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm a huge Pixar animation fan. I think I've enjoyed everything they have put out so far, so I'm really looking forward to this film. I get all giddy when I see the trailers for it!

Agreed. I've seen trailers for a 3-D version or is that the only offering the movie will be in? Roojay, can you advise, please?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Agreed. I've seen trailers for a 3-D version or is that the only offering the movie will be in? Roojay, can you advise, please?Sure!

Yes. Up, Disney Pixar's newest film, will be available in 3-D. In fact, everyone who mentions that it was me who told you this, not only will you and your entire party of moviegoers get in for the movie free (up to 10 times each), but snacks are on me, and each will receive a voucher (no expiration date! ) for free entry to the next EIGHT Pixar films in the future! A great deal. Remember, tell 'em Roojay told ya!:p

I think it'll be like Monsters vs. Aliens, where it was both, but you'd need a 3-D screen, obviously, to see it in that format.

I am getting more interested in this one, the more commercials I see of it. I'm down with Up!

sith_killer_99
05-25-2009, 11:20 AM
What's Up?

Up is one of six different types of quarks, known as flavors (up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom). Quarks are sub atomic particles that combine to form hadrons, the best-known of which are protons and neutrons.

:D

RooJay
05-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Yes. Up, Disney Pixar's newest film, will be available in 3-D. In fact, everyone who mentions that it was me who told you this, not only will you and your entire party of moviegoers get in for the movie free (up to 10 times each), but snacks are on me, and each will receive a voucher (no expiration date! ) for free entry to the next EIGHT Pixar films in the future! A great deal. Remember, tell 'em Roojay told ya!
:p

Hey now!

Sorry, late to the party. Guess I should be paying a little more attention here.

Actually, Up will be playing in both 3D and standard. In fact, I honestly haven't yet seen it in 3D. Rest assured that I will also be contributing to ticket sales this weekend!

Hope everyone here enjoys it!

Up! is old news.*

What is Brave?
(http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/24/what-is-pixars-brave/#more-29230)

*Not really.

Man! If you guys only knew...
I'm a fan of Pixar in general, but that one can't come to theaters quick enough for me...

Rocketboy
05-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Man! If you guys only knew...
I'm a fan of Pixar in general, but that one can't come to theaters quick enough for me...Oh I've found out since then.
:D

The Bear and the Bow. Winter 2011.

Rocketboy
05-30-2009, 05:08 PM
The wife and I just got back from taking our 5-year-old niece to see Up! in 3D.

Thought it was great, but I'd drop it at #3 or 4 for Pixar (behind Wall-E, Toy Story and tied/behind The Incredibles). I'm not sure how well it would hold up to repeat viewings in 2D.

I think it might be Pixar's best looking movie but I'm not sure if that's the high from the 3D talking or because it is in such contrast to Wall-E's nearly total photo realistic grit and grime.

SPOILER question:
How the hell did Russel get on the porch? He clearly wasn't there when the house took off and he definitely wasn't underneath it either (which I think he claimed he was - the people in the theater were laughing at something).

morpheus282
05-30-2009, 08:44 PM
SPOILER question:
How the hell did Russel get on the porch? He clearly wasn't there when the house took off and he definitely wasn't underneath it either (which I think he claimed he was - the people in the theater were laughing at something).

The same way Doug got there - it was in the script. They both claimed they were under the porch, but there's no way they could have gotten to the door once off the ground

That's one of those obvious plot holes that you can't help but notice and because it's a cartoon you don't mind overlooking them so much. There's actually more plot holes in the new Star Trek movie than UP, and since it's not animated I've got a harder time accepting them.

bigbarada
05-31-2009, 12:24 AM
SPOILER question:

I wondered that a bit too; but since it's a cartoon it's easy to overlook. Just like how all those balloons could stay filled with helium for so long.

Overall, this was an awesome movie, a little sadder than I expected at the beginning, but I think that really just helped explain why the old man was so attached to the house. Without that, I think his preoccupation with the house would have made him an unlikable or annoying character as the plot unfolded.

The story itself was very well constructed. In fact, I forgot that I was even watching a CG movie for most of it, I was so caught up in the story. The plot never really seemed to drag or go off on tangents. Just very well done.

figrin bran
05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
First things first, I found Roojay's name in the credits

Second, I found the Pizza Planet Truck though it's a bit of a variant model.

I enjoyed the film a lot and don't feel that I'll see a better film this summer!

Now I'm off to revise my Pixar list.

One question - did I really hear the dogs piloting the biplanes call themselves Red 1, Red 2, Red 3?

figrin bran
06-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Well, Roojay, you always said leave it to Star Wars fans to find fault in any and everything.

Now that I've had a day to let it sink in, I may have overrated it a bit. The opening sequence was brilliant and poignant and the quaint piano really underscored that. That aspect of the film, I loved. However, it feels like to me that they went to the well too many times with the same gags - the squirrel gag, the tennis ball gag, Carl's and Kurtz's I mean Muntz's bones creaking during their duel. It's almost venturing into Dreamworks territory when you start recycling the same jokes over and over again.

Also the film lost a bit of believability for me when it went into all of the Indiana Jones-ish type scenes. I can't really put my finger on it but somehow dogs flying planes is tougher to swallow than a mouse as a great chef.

Nonetheless, none of those criticisms are huge deal breakers for me though at the same time, they limit the film from being even greater than it is. I understand that with Pixar films, you're always going to get pathos, you're going to get action and you're going to get laughs. However, the mixture of all that for Up did not feel as "organic" as other efforts seem to, at least to me.

Then again, all of which I just wrote could be a by product of how annoyed I was with the "feel they know it all" pre teens sitting behind me in the theater. They kept talking throughout the film trying to impress one another with great insight. I'll be taking family to see it again so maybe I'll have a different opinion once again.

bigbarada
06-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Then again, all of which I just wrote could be a by product of how annoyed I was with the "feel they know it all" pre teens sitting behind me in the theater. They kept talking throughout the film trying to impress one another with great insight. I'll be taking family to see it again so maybe I'll have a different opinion once again.

One of the worst ways to watch a movie is to watch it anywhere within earshot of teenagers. You pretty much nailed it, they try to impress each other with their skepticism and "knowledge;" but every adult who is forced to listen to them just has to shake their heads at how dumb the kids really are.

It explains the meaning behind the word "sophomore." Which in Greek literally means "intelligent moron" and refers to someone who has just enough education to think that he/she knows everything, when in reality this person is actually stupider than when they started learning (there is a tearing-down and rebuilding process in all education).

figrin bran
06-03-2009, 12:05 AM
BigB, you said it!

I arrived to the theater pretty late as it is and missed a few previews, namely the Toy Story 3 one. I saw that there was a row near the back that was empty so I figured I'd be safe from any obnoxious talkers. Little did I know that they'd arrive after I did.

I really wanted to turn around to say something to them but didn't want to interrupt my enjoyment of the film to do it.

RooJay
06-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Here's a neat little article with lots of praise for Pixar, and a lot of cool, surprising and interesting little bits of info:
http://www.dailyfill.com/Pixar-vs-the-Rest-24248/

Ando
06-05-2009, 01:00 PM
My wife and I saw "Up" last night. No obnoxious teens in the almost abandoned theater.

It was a very enjoyable movie even though it was a little bittersweet, especially because Carl and Ellie reminds me of me and my wife.

It didn't help that my wife had her hair dyed red the day before, so I wept a little during the montage of scenes leading up to Carl's next adventure.

I hope I didn't spoil anything for anyone.

figrin bran
06-07-2009, 11:53 PM
For some reason, no soundtrack was released to stores and you can only get it via download from Amazon.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-08-2009, 10:32 AM
My wife and I saw "Up" last night. No obnoxious teens in the almost abandoned theater.

It was a very enjoyable movie even though it was a little bittersweet, especially because Carl and Ellie reminds me of me and my wife.

It didn't help that my wife had her hair dyed red the day before, so I wept a little during the montage of scenes leading up to Carl's next adventure.

I hope I didn't spoil anything for anyone.

I got a bit teary eyed during the montage too as when my lady kisses my cheek in a silly manner, I giggle like an idiot. And when I saw Ellie do this to Carl, that hit me emotionally.

For some reason, no soundtrack was released to stores and you can only get it via download from Amazon.

hm. that's odd. I got mine on the "web". ;)

Really fantastic film! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-09-2009, 09:50 PM
No TS3 trailer when I saw it this week. :(

Great movie, but sorry, RooJay, I can't call it the best Pixar film. Predictable, but in a good way. I am obliged to provide a list... (LISTS... :drool: )

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN PIXAR FILMS
10. Ratatouille (still haven't seen it yet)
9. A Bug's Life
8. Monsters, Inc.
7. Toy Story
6. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story 2
3.1 Up
2.9 Cars
2. The Incredibles
1. Wall-E

I made it until the dialogue-less flashback before shedding tears. I really liked the credits (loved the merit badges fitting the categories on the credits). RJ, did Pixar start working on this film around Nov. of 2005 (there was a number I saw that was something like 110405)? I enjoyed it; great storyline and awesome visuals.

figrin bran
06-09-2009, 11:08 PM
BCJ, I think the TS3 trailer only plays with the 3D version of the film. I saw it in 2-D and did not see it either though I got inside the theater just as the trailers were starting up so I thought that I might have missed it.

I just read rumors of a possible Monsters Inc. 2 http://pixarplanet.com/blog/monsters-inc-2-confirmed

RooJay
06-10-2009, 02:31 AM
I made it until the dialogue-less flashback before shedding tears. I really liked the credits (loved the merit badges fitting the categories on the credits). RJ, did Pixar start working on this film around Nov. of 2005 (there was a number I saw that was something like 110405)? I enjoyed it; great storyline and awesome visuals.

Where did you see that? It's possible there's a shout out to something there, but I doubt it's the film's start date. Very few films here really seem to have a very firm production start date like that.

BCJ, I think the TS3 trailer only plays with the 3D version of the film. I saw it in 2-D and did not see it either though I got inside the theater just as the trailers were starting up so I thought that I might have missed it.

I just read rumors of a possible Monsters Inc. 2 http://pixarplanet.com/blog/monsters-inc-2-confirmed

The trailer should be playing with every screening of Up. If it's not there, then it's definitely the theaters' doing. Believe it or not, there have been lots of reports of screenings of Up playing without the short, Partly Cloudy. I understand that distribution have looked into the issue and it should be corrected at most theaters by now.

LTBasker
06-10-2009, 05:05 AM
Saw Up on Saturday and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though I had read plenty of positive feedback on it, I went in with my expectations pretty low - although the only Pixar movie I haven't really enjoyed was Ratatouille.

The movie was quite a bit different than I had expected from trailers, as I thought it would be far more involved with adventures than it turned out to be. The beginning and build up to the eventual balloon travel was incredibly funny when it was supposed to be while also being incredibly heart-touching, and really made you feel connected to Carl's inevitable drive to leave in such an irrational manner. Ellie's unfortunate realization and then subtle death were incredibly well handled, being quite obvious for the mature crowd while being heartfelt but subtle for the younger crowd. No doubt kids that see it today will see it again in 10-15 years and will be amazed as they realize how dark the atmosphere was, and will likely appreciate it even more after that.

I was disappointed that they reached nearly where they were supposed to be so soon, I felt it should have taken a slight bit longer to reach that point and could have had a handful of other comedic opportunities in doing so. As well, the decision to have them tow the house while walking through the jungle took some time to get used to, but probably no more than 5 minutes at most. From that point on it's a very fun romp, and only runs into a few more things that I didn't like all that much near the end. The dogs in the fighter planes definitely could have been omitted, fortunately they did seem to have the foresight to not focus on them too much, but I really felt it shouldn't have been done at all. It also includes a scene that seemed rather pander-some, as one of the strafing runs leads Russel to grab one of the darts that was shot out of the gun.

It seemed overly ridiculous to me that they would be shooting darts, and the focus of it seemed to serve no other purpose than to make it absolutely clear that a child was not getting shot at with normal bullets. I would have overlooked it had they gone with something akin to the thought I had as Russel held the dart; that he would look up and see more darts in the hose and use them as ladder rungs.

Muntz's death seem a bit unnecessary to me, as he only became truly villainous at the very end when he brought out the gun. I can't think of a more proper end for him, and like my other negative notes about the movie it didn't harm it much. In fact, overall I think the movie was incredibly fun and well made, I would have no problem watching it again and again. It could be improved upon, but I can ignore the handful of negative points I found by simply accepting that it was tailored more for kids rather than adults, even though it is meant to be enjoyed by both.

As for the trailers, the screening I saw didn't have the Toy Story teaser, but we did have the cute Clouds short. I want to say there were 2-3 trailers attached, but the only one that really stuck out was Planet 51.

JEDIpartner
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I cried four times during the film. I found it to be really poignant and quite beautiful.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2009, 09:10 AM
The movie was quite a bit different than I had expected from trailers, as I thought it would be far more involved with adventures than it turned out to be. The beginning and build up to the eventual balloon travel was incredibly funny when it was supposed to be while also being incredibly heart-touching, and really made you feel connected to Carl's inevitable drive to leave in such an irrational manner.

I was disappointed that they reached nearly where they were supposed to be so soon, I felt it should have taken a slight bit longer to reach that point and could have had a handful of other comedic opportunities in doing so.

It seemed overly ridiculous to me that they would be shooting darts, and the focus of it seemed to serve no other purpose than to make it absolutely clear that a child was not getting shot at with normal bullets.

As for the trailers, the screening I saw didn't have the Toy Story teaser, but we did have the cute Clouds short. I want to say there were 2-3 trailers attached, but the only one that really stuck out was Planet 51.I, too, thought it would be more about the trip getting there. But it worked as-is for me.

True, I would've liked more pre-arrival banter or fun, but the rule is, kids movies can't be too long or too plot-heavy. Maybe the DVD will have some "cut" scenes in that time.

Remember, that the villain was trying to capture the bird to disprove his critics, not kill it, so he probably had literally tons of darts to use (makes for a video game tie-in, too :marketing: ).

Saw G-Force in the before-the-movie-starts-commercials, and as a trailer. Ugh. Planet 51 looks weird, in a good way.

Where did you see that? It's possible there's a shout out to something there, but I doubt it's the film's start date. Very few films here really seem to have a very firm production start date like that.It was on a ticket or a flier. It was on the bottom, like a bar code or something. There were others, but that was the only one I recalled fairly clearly. Could be a staff member's child's birthdate, too. Maybe. Maybe not.

Igorokk
06-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello Anata,Just wanted to ask what are you doing these days and whats your status on your next album... best of luck and hope for you and for all of us that your next album is going allright :P

Rocketboy
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Hello Anata,Just wanted to ask what are you doing these days and whats your status on your next album... best of luck and hope for you and for all of us that your next album is going allright :PUmmm...yeah, what?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I saw it today and enjoyed it quite a bit. The 3D was kind of meh; I wasn't expecting any pop-out nonsense but I thought the depth didn't add a lot to the film, and the shaded glasses muted the color and detail, which looked amazing whenever I would sneak a peek without the glasses. I loved Russel and Doug, though. :D I also saw RooJay's name and loved the Star Wars reference! Which credit accompanied that? It went by so quickly that I didn't catch it.

LTBasker
06-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Oh, that reminds me. Was it my imagination or was the destruction of the three Dog-Fighters (I feel dirty with that pun) parodying the destruction of Vader's TIE fighter squad from the Trench Run?

Ando
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Oh, that reminds me. Was it my imagination or was the destruction of the three Dog-Fighters (I feel dirty with that pun) parodying the destruction of Vader's TIE fighter squad from the Trench Run?

Nope, not just you... That's exactly what it looked like to me!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Oh, that reminds me. Was it my imagination or was the destruction of the three Dog-Fighters (I feel dirty with that pun) parodying the destruction of Vader's TIE fighter squad from the Trench Run?Thought the same thing (they did have color-numeric call signs). And the hanging under the blimp reminded me of Luke under Cloud City, while the climb up the ladder seemed a lot like IJ & the Temple of Doom.

sith_killer_99
06-13-2009, 05:12 PM
My daughter and I went to see this in 3-D today. Great flick, my daughter was enthralled, she really enjoyed the movie!

My only complaint was the price....almost $20.00 for a 7 year old and an adult! Still it was worth it in the end.:yes:

DarthQuack
06-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Saw it today....will get into it more....but heading to the bar for a few.

I didn't think it was as good as Wall-E or Nemo....still a good film, just not one of my favorites.

Rocketboy
06-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Just saw a movie that featured a cranky old man whose wife just died and his family wants to put him in a retirement home. He owns a blonde dog and becomes reluctant friends with an Asian boy who tries to help him. The first meeting between old man and boy involves the old man slamming the door in the boy's face.

Yes, I just saw Gran Torino.

Ando
06-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Just saw a movie that featured a cranky old man whose wife just died and his family wants to put him in a retirement home. He owns a blonde dog and becomes reluctant friends with an Asian boy who tries to help him. The first meeting between old man and boy involves the old man slamming the door in the boy's face.

Rocketboy FTW.

pbarnard
06-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Ditto. :thumbsup: And I liked it. Although the ending was a bit telegraphed, utterly enjoyable to see the disappointment on Walt's family.

Rocketboy
06-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Rocketboy FTW.I wish I could take total credit for it, but I heard some of the similarities on a podcast.
The similarities are pretty funny though.

bobafrett
06-17-2009, 10:05 PM
I went and saw this movie with my wife, and we both enjoyed it.

The movie "Up" that is, not the Gran Torino flick, haven't seen that one yet.

Rocketboy
06-19-2009, 09:18 PM
California girl gets dying wish to see movie 'Up'
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- Colby Curtin got her final wish.

The 10-year-old girl desperately wanted to see the new Disney-Pixar movie, "Up." But the cancer-stricken girl was too sick to go to a theater.

Thanks to a family friend who got in touch with the movie studio Pixar, an employee of the Emeryville-based company arrived at Colby's home with a DVD copy of the movie, The Orange County Register reported Friday. The girl died later that night.

Colby's mother, Lisa, said she had asked her daughter if she could hang on until the movie arrived.

"I'm ready (to die), but I'm going to wait for the movie," she said her daughter replied.

"Up" is the animated tale of a grumpy old man who, after his wife's death, tries to fulfill their joint dream of visiting South America by tying thousands of balloons to his house and floating away.

"When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie," Colby's mother told the Register. "I just know that word 'Up' and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven."

Colby, who was diagnosed with vascular cancer in 2005, saw previews for the film in April.

"It was from then on, she said, 'I have to see that movie. It is so cool,'" family friend Carole Lynch said.

But the girl's health began to deteriorate. On June 4, Curtin asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair so that her daughter could go to a movie theater but the chair was not delivered over the weekend, Curtin said.

By June 9, Colby was too sick to go anywhere.

Another family friend, Terrell Orum, called both Pixar and Disney, which owns the animation studio. The message was received by Pixar officials, who agreed to send someone to Colby's house the next day with a copy of "Up" for a private screening, Orum said.

The employee arrived with the DVD, stuffed animals of characters and other movie memorabilia.

Colby was unable to open her eyes to see the movie so her mother described the scenes. When her mother asked if she enjoyed it, the girl nodded, Curtin said.

The Pixar employee left after the movie, taking the DVD, which has not been released. Lynch, who was with the family during the screening, said the employee's "eyes were just welled up."

A call to Pixar seeking comment was not immediately returned Friday.

Colby, with her parents nearby, died later that night.

Her mother said one of the memorabilia left by the Pixar employee was an "adventure book" based on a scrapbook that, in the movie, is kept by the wife of the main character.

"I'll have to fill those adventures in for her," Lisa Curtin said of her daughter.MSN (http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=415257&GT1=28101)

Great, sad story.

figrin bran
06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I was going to link to that story but Rocketboy beat me to it.

Roojay, that was very awesome of your employers to do that and to act so promptly.

bobafrett
06-21-2009, 08:20 AM
I heard that story on the radio, and I cried like a baby. Very touching, but very sad.

sith_killer_99
06-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I saw this on FOX NEWS this morning, very sad.:cry:

figrin bran
06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
The sibling wanted to watch ROTF but I talked them into seeing Up instead. :D

I guess I didn't pay attention enough the first time around because I didn't remember that Ellie had a miscarriage. That definitely piles on more gravitas to their longing to visit Paradise Falls.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
The sibling wanted to watch ROTF but I talked them into seeing Up instead. :D

I guess I didn't pay attention enough the first time around because I didn't remember that Ellie had a miscarriage. That definitely piles on more gravitas to their longing to visit Paradise Falls.Rolling on the Floor would be an awesome movie premise! :D

I figured that out when she saw a whole sky full of baby clouds, then the scene cut to the hospital room (and that was the first time I cried).