PDA

View Full Version : Give me my money back Hollywood!

Qui-Long Gone
06-01-2009, 08:04 PM
We've all been there...mesmorized by the trailer that promised thrills and fanboy wet dreams, only to pay our hard-earned money and watch as 90-120 minutes of our petty lives are washed down the drain that is Hollywood. :thumbsup:

Who owes you money? :upset:

*One rule: this has to be legit rip-off, not a case where, LIKE ME, you threw caution into the wind and still saw Battlefield Earth....they don't owe me money back, shame on me for willing stupidity. :(

I'm talking about movies like:

Congo.....awesome trailer, but WTF was up with the sign language monkey and Ash being torn apart by Harry and the Hendersons? GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK HOLLYWOOD! :mad:

El Chuxter
06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Batman and Robin looked decent from the previews. And, hey, Bane.

Darth Jax
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
there aren't that many movies that i go "wow, i've just got to see that." more often it's "i'll go see that even though i expect it to completely suck." kinda like IJ 4.

i did think crank would be more enjoyable than it was, based on the previews. but then i only rented it for free at the library so hollywood doesn't owe me any money - just my 90 minutes back.

Rocketboy
06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Underworld - I was completely blown away by the trailer and it turned out to be one of the most boring pieces of crap I've ever seen.

2-1B
06-01-2009, 09:46 PM
The Dark Knight - they sold the movie on The Joker and then he's not in it enough.

It was a dishonest bait and switch. Lure me with the awesomeness of Ledger's Joker and then torture me with Bale's Growling and Aaron Eckhart's Presence.

Blue2th
06-01-2009, 10:37 PM
"Doom" with The Rock and Carl Urban sucked.
So did the last "Pirates of the Carribean."
They should have paid me to see them.
Hugely dissapointed with "The Day The Earth Stood Still" I want my $1 refund from Redbox.

"Congo" was better than any of those.

El Chuxter
06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Jurassic Park /// was a major crapfest with no story, shoddy science, lousy CG, and plot holes you could lose an aircraft carrier in. It might not have been quite as bad as a generic carpy dino film, but this was continuing (sort of) where two Crichton/Spielberg collaborations left off. And William H Macy was wasted.

Same goes for X-Men 3, which I expected to not be X2, but thought would not induce vomiting. The only good things in that movie were Beast and Kelsey Grammer's portrayal of him.

I've got to disagree with you on the last Pirates flick, which I thought was the best of the three. However, I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

JetsAndHeels
06-01-2009, 10:57 PM
The Village.....M. Night Shalalmaya or whatever made this look promising in the previews, but the movie was boring, and the ending was just pure garbage.

bigbarada
06-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Spider-Man 3: They took everything I loved about the first two Spider-Man films, threw that out the window, and made all the same mistakes that doomed the KKC Batman franchise (KKC = Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney). In other words, not so much a movie, but more of a bloated and overcrowded piece of crap. What a terrible way to end a great film franchise. :mad:

Indy IV: I didn't expect it to be on the same level as the previous films, but I didn't expect it to be horrible either.

I could list X-Men 3 also, but I felt so burned by the first X-Men film, that I didn't even bother to watch X2 and only saw X3 on cable a few years later. Aside from Beast, it had no redeeming qualities. In fact, it was a completely pathetic and lazy attempt to bring the Dark Phoenix Saga to the big screen.

bigbarada
06-01-2009, 11:26 PM
The Village.....M. Night Shalalmaya or whatever made this look promising in the previews, but the movie was boring, and the ending was just pure garbage.

The Happening belongs in this category too.

El Chuxter
06-01-2009, 11:39 PM
The Village is a prime example of a director overestimating the draw of his quirks. The Sixth Sense was great, since you don't know Bruce Willis is dead until the end, and you go back and look at the clues earlier. Same with Unbreakable, where you don't know Samuel L Jackson is a sort of supervillain. With Signs, you sort of expect a twist, and the fact the aliens are killed by water comes as no surprise.

And by The Village, you're actively looking for clues and figure out the twist about five minutes in when these supposed 17th-century people are dropping thinly-veiled references to modern technology and using 21st-century expressions. And, unlike his first two movies, there's little appeal beyond the twist.

I didn't even bother with Lady in the Water or The Happening. I got LITW at Big Lots for $3 months ago and haven't even watched it yet.

Slicker
06-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Attack of the Clones. To quote Luke Skywalker from ANH: "What a pice of carp!!"

Blue2th
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Lady in the Water and The Happening were odd, and pretty much sucked. I won't say that about The Village though, it was halfway decent.
I don't think he can get away with another flick like those.

The reason why I didn't like the third POTC movie Chux is probably because I liked the first two movies a lot, and this one the acting and dialog felt tired, like they wanted to hurry up and get the last movie out of the way, get paid and stick a fork in it.

Rocketboy
06-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Speed Racer - looked like it could've been fun, but it was a boring, sugar-coated psychedelic nightmare.

TeeEye7
06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Uh-oh! I hear mabs turning the door knob........

El Chuxter
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I suspect RB will be lying dead on the floor to mabs' chamber in a few moments, with mabs saying, "Apology accepted, Rocketboy."

sith_killer_99
06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
"Doom" with The Rock and Carl Urban sucked.
So did the last "Pirates of the Carribean."
They should have paid me to see them.
Hugely dissapointed with "The Day The Earth Stood Still"

The Village.....M. Night Shalalmaya or whatever made this look promising in the previews

Indy IV: I didn't expect it to be on the same level as the previous films, but I didn't expect it to be horrible either.

^These!

Also "Wicker Man" looked cool in previews, it even had Nicolas Cage...but it totally sucked!:mad:

El Chuxter
06-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Also "Wicker Man" looked cool in previews, it even had Nicolas Cage...but it totally sucked!:mad:
Take that back! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpsbAUEe90)

sith_killer_99
06-02-2009, 08:10 PM
^ One moment of awesomeness does not justify a 2 hour movie with sloth pacing. Sure it's a great youtube clip, but 2 hours for a 26 second clip = FAIL.:mad:

El Chuxter
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I dunno. I've only watched the clip 236 times in a row.

(And, yes, I did figure how many views of the clip were equal to the running time of the movie. Sad, isn't it?)

sith_killer_99
06-02-2009, 08:59 PM
^ You sent more time enjoying this film than I did, and it didn't cost you a thing!:laugh:

Darth Jax
06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
^These!

you expected something starring nic cage not to suck???

Rocketboy
06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
The Wicker Man looks hilarious.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKOS3eHat8)

Transformers was another horrible piece of sh*t. Stupid story, stupid characters and indistinguishable robots.

JediTricks
06-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Matrix 2 (so bad I didn't see Matrix 3 in theaters)
Indy IV
Spidey 3
X-men 3
Speed 2
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin (which was vastly better as the second billing in a double feature with Speed 2)
the Prequels
Transformers
Quantum of Solace

sith_killer_99
06-03-2009, 07:14 AM
you expected something starring nic cage not to suck???

Nic Cage movies that didn't suck:

Valley Girl
Gone in Sixty Seconds
Bringing Out the Dead
8MM
Face/Off
Con Air
The Rock
Leaving Las Vegas
Windtalkers
Lord of War
National Treasure
Ghost Rider
National Treasure: Book of Secrets

I'm sure there are more.:yes:

:p

El Chuxter
06-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Raising Arizona comes to mind immediately, SK.

Darth Jax
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Nic Cage movies that didn't suck:

Valley Girl
Gone in Sixty Seconds
Bringing Out the Dead
8MM
Face/Off
Con Air
The Rock
Leaving Las Vegas
Windtalkers
Lord of War
National Treasure
Ghost Rider
National Treasure: Book of Secrets

I'm sure there are more.:yes:

:p

raising arizona, con air and the rock are the only ones that are any good. the original gone in 60 seconds is better since it doesn't have cage in it.

bigbarada
06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I think Lord of War was the only movie that I liked Nicolas Cage in. I've never been a fan of the actor, but he was supposed to be somewhat slimy and reprehensible in LoW, so it worked.:)

Speaking of Cage, I was actually looking forward to Ghost Rider.... I'll know better next time.:upset:

sith_killer_99
06-03-2009, 11:38 AM

Brace for impact......I've never seen it, just never got around to it I guess. I will have to check it out soon.

the original gone in 60 seconds is better

Originals usually are, I went into the film with that in mind and I wasn't really disappointed.

Speaking of Cage, I was actually looking forward to Ghost Rider.... I'll know better next time.

So that would be Ghost Rider 2 (2011?).;)

bobafrett
06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Brace for impact......I've never seen it, just never got around to it I guess. I will have to check it out soon.

I loved it, I thought it was great, but I was a lot younger the last time I watched it.

Qui-Long Gone
06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I loved it, I thought it was great, but I was a lot younger the last time I watched it.

It's still good.... :thumbsup:

I bet Cage would be awesome in Werewolf Women of the SS (as Fu Manchu). I count that as a Cage film, even though it's only a trailer for Grindhouse. :D

He's also good in Moonstruck.

JetsAndHeels
06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
If Cage had actually won the role in the new Superman film, I would have boycotted it.

Blue2th
06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
How about Knowing with Nicolas Cage, where they dig up a time capsule with future events in code on a paper and it comes true? Is that any good? It's on the discount movie houses, soon to be on video.
A pass? or rental?

I thought the remake of Wicker Man wasn't too bad.