PDA

View Full Version : Any new valuable toys?

SunCrusher
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I haven't been in the collecting loop for well over 5 years now. I've been checking out the latest line of action figures, the Legacy Collection. I was wondering if any of these toys hold second sale value. That is, are any toys out there worth much more than their retail price?

I'm referring to any of the currently selling Star Wars lines, but I prefer to focus on Legacy Collection. Have there been any really rare figures from this line?

bigbarada
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
1. Yarna
2. Bail Organa
3. Breha Organa
4. Pons Limbic
5. Ak Rev

Those figures are a goldmine, buy as many as you can get your hands on. Also, if you're one of the lucky few to have ever found the extremely elusive 2006 Moff Jerjerrod figure, then you might as well start planning your retirement now. :ninja:

Sorry, in all seriousness, collecting toys for investment value is purely a fool's quest. None of the toys you see on the store shelves right now are ever going to be worth anything.

The only recent toys that MIGHT obtain some decent secondary market value are not even Star Wars related. Look for the 2008 Temple of Doom wave from the cancelled Indiana Jones line. But you're not going to find them anywhere close to retail prices now.

Banthaholic
06-09-2009, 08:02 PM
If you want value, collect Lego's. They're about the only line that has seen a profit.

Slicker
06-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I agree with BibB. I've never liked those that just buy something to try and sell it again *cough*hotwheelsguysthatonlybuytreasurehunts*cough *
If you want value, collect Lego's. They're about the only line that has seen a profit.True dat. I've got all of the early sets and could make back 3 times what I paid for 'em but I don't think I'd ever do that.

SunCrusher
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
That's too bad. I remember back about 10 years ago where some of the action figures from the Power of the Force II and Episode 1 line were rare and valuable for a short time.

Now, there's no monetary value in collecting these toys.

NerfTW
06-10-2009, 11:58 AM
That's too bad. I remember back about 10 years ago where some of the action figures from the Power of the Force II and Episode 1 line were rare and valuable for a short time.

Now, there's no monetary value in collecting these toys.

Well, there's a reason it was for a "short time". The same reason the housing bubble eventually burst. At some point demand just drops out, especially when it's an artificially inflated price for something as stupid as toys, or Beanie Babies. Hasbro was rightfully more concerned about putting more toys in the hands of new customers than how valuable they were on the secondary market.

Honestly, if you want to invest in something, may I suggest government bonds and CDs? (That's certificate of deposit, not those shiny discs that play music)

SunCrusher
06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
At some point demand just drops out, especially when it's an artificially inflated price for something as stupid as toys, or Beanie Babies.

Would you say comics fit into the same category?

NerfTW
06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes. Especially in this day and age of digital downloads, home printers that equal the quality of industrial ones, and comic companies flooding the market every time a "major" event arrives.

Scarcity drives the price. Older comics might still be rare (but good luck finding someone willing to pay for it), but demand is going down when you can print your own copies. There were CDs that came out a while ago from Marvel with the ENTIRE run of X-men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man up to that point on them, original ads and all. You could just print out perfect copies of the issues and nobody would be wiser.

SunCrusher
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorta off topic, but were those CDs officially released by Marvel? I'm interested in acquiring those. Are you referring to these?

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Comic-Book-Library-Vol/dp/B0000DFHQ3

And yeah, it seems like there really isn't any scarcity left for this type of collectible. Toys, comics.. it's all mass produced, destroying the value. So sad, in my opinion. One may argue that benefits the children who can always find what they want, but I see store shelves bursting with toys that nobody is buying.

NerfTW
06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, they were legit. There was a press release when Marvel Digital was started that they no longer had the license.

I'm all for lack of scarcity. These things are made first and foremost to entertain. Catering to adults who enjoy fighting outside Toys R Us at 9AM, taking the toys away from children who just want their favorite character is thankfully a thing of the past.

If you want the "thrill of the hunt" or whatever that is, take up real hunting or just pick a product that isn't directed at children. But don't take something that is supposed to be bringing joy and excitement and destroy it with greed.

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Sports cards are not as valuable now as they used to be. I have invested a pretty penny in football/basketball cards over the years. However, like my SW collection, I did not invest all that time and money into my sports cards just to sell them later (unless I had a dire emergency).

Blue2th
06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Well, there's a reason it was for a "short time". The same reason the housing bubble eventually burst. At some point demand just drops out, especially when it's an artificially inflated price for something as stupid as toys, or Beanie Babies. Hasbro was rightfully more concerned about putting more toys in the hands of new customers than how valuable they were on the secondary market.

So does this mean there was an "action figure bubble" ? lol

There are some toys that are going up considerably and they are the 21st Century Ultimate Soldier military toys you used to be able to get at every Walmart. They went out of business. Mostly the 1:18 scale, but the 1:32 scale is starting to climb up there. A $15 1:32 Corsair airplane I saw recently go for $60.
A $39 (or when they blew them out for $25) 1:18 Spitfire now can go an excess of $200. A 1:18 Huey Helicopter can climb up to $300.

I bought a ton of them, but not to sell. You never know though, times are getting tough.

I heard the grey Hulk in the new 3.75 Hasbro Marvel figures is HTF thus
going up. Saw one once, but I don't collect those, so I passed.

The TAC Darth Revan, and Malak are pricey now. Even Scorch. They should re-issue these.

NerfTW
06-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Actually, there was an action figure bubble. Remember the massive speculation when the POTF2 line first came out? People were fighting over short and long lightsaber varients, card changes, paint mistakes, anything. Then it all just sort of went away once Hasbro started going mass production.

Hulk is a prime example of what is going to happen. People are stocking up on him, blissfully unaware that he's in future case assortments. (wave 5) They have to unload him fast, or else the market will just flood with more.

I'm not saying there isn't going to be the rare figure that demands a high price, but speculating on it is a pointless endeavor, simply because they can re-release he figure at any time. And rarely are you getting a reasonable return on your investment, unless you manage to get EXACTLY the figures that are rare, and at a low price to begin with. And the only reason Reven and Malek were so rare was because of unforseen shipping problems that prevented many areas from getting that wave at all. So investing with the intent to sell requires quite a bit of precognition.

sith_killer_99
06-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Honestly, if you want to invest in something, may I suggest government bonds and CDs?

I have my doubts.:rolleyes:

OP, if you want to invest for monetary gain there really is only one safe route, precious metals, gold, silver, etc.:yes:

However, if you feel the need to invest in plastic toys, you should try ebay. The modern stuff will not make you any cash. However, with the economy in the tank you should be able to find vintage figures (carded and loose) at good prices. People are desperate to sell off this stuff to pay bills. Why not take advantage of some one else's misery. :hurt: Buy 'em cheap now and sell 'em in 20 years when the economy has recovered.:rolleyes:

Ando
06-15-2009, 06:48 PM
1. Yarna
2. Bail Organa
3. Breha Organa
4. Pons Limbic
5. Ak Rev

Those figures are a goldmine, buy as many as you can get your hands on. Also, if you're one of the lucky few to have ever found the extremely elusive 2006 Moff Jerjerrod figure, then you might as well start planning your retirement now. :ninja:

You left out Juno Eclipse... I think I have seen here at TRU here in Portland every once in a while...

Blue2th
06-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I know I know, got to join those guys in front of Target every morning, when it opens, walk fast, a little faster, cut through the kids clothes, when no one's looking start running in hopes of arriving first at the rack to do that well practiced shuffle of the cards in hopes of finding the Treasure Hunt car, but you know in the back of your mind one of the employees has already snagged it so he can supplement his part-time minimum wage job.
Yet you still keep trying. Sometimes you strike gold.

Nevermind that you've wasted all that gas in your full size Hot Wheels car running all over town looking for that one car every day of the week, but it was worth it. :cross-eye

Dark Marble
06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Honestly, is there anyone here still holding out on their Star Wars collections being really valuable someday? Every once in a while a get a question or a comment about how much my collection is worth and I have to look at that person funny. This stuff is all about enjoyment for me, and is not about the money. I enjoy a good trade every once in a while but that is about it.

I open everything. Once upon a time I had the idea to army build until I realized how ridiculous army building one figure is now. There is over a thousand figures out there in every flavor several times over. Collecting one of each in the basic movie figure line is a huge collection and there is so much more than that out there. I have taken to giving away old unwanted figures as they are so worthless the return in trying to sell them is next to nothing.

But this, my friends, is not bitterness it is acceptance after years of collecting and what I want out of it. Is it for money or for the enjoyment? I am glad to say I found a way to simplify and what I collect now is all about the enjoyment. If anyone is doing this with profit in mind or value that is not intrinsic, you have to get out of this hobby!

In the end, if you are going to buy Star Wars figures, plunk down the $8, get them home rip them open, and enjoy the heck out of them. That will be the only value these figures will ever have. No illusions. No Regrets.

Really not intended to be a rant but dang did that get windy! :shocked:

JetsAndHeels
06-16-2009, 02:57 PM
This stuff is all about enjoyment for me, and is not about the money.

What he said.

Ando
06-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Honestly, is there anyone here still holding out on their Star Wars collections being really valuable someday? Every once in a while a get a question or a comment about how much my collection is worth and I have to look at that person funny. This stuff is all about enjoyment for me, and is not about the money. I enjoy a good trade every once in a while but that is about it.

I open everything. Once upon a time I had the idea to army build until I realized how ridiculous army building one figure is now. There is over a thousand figures out there in every flavor several times over. Collecting one of each in the basic movie figure line is a huge collection and there is so much more than that out there. I have taken to giving away old unwanted figures as they are so worthless the return in trying to sell them is next to nothing.

But this, my friends, is not bitterness it is acceptance after years of collecting and what I want out of it. Is it for money or for the enjoyment? I am glad to say I found a way to simplify and what I collect now is all about the enjoyment. If anyone is doing this with profit in mind or value that is not intrinsic, you have to get out of this hobby!

In the end, if you are going to buy Star Wars figures, plunk down the $8, get them home rip them open, and enjoy the heck out of them. That will be the only value these figures will ever have. No illusions. No Regrets.

Really not intended to be a rant but dang did that get windy! :shocked:

But the sentimental value is throught the roof!

I collect for the fun of it and I army build (so that future kids, nephews, and nieces all have enough to share when I am gone) and everything I buy is an eventual opener. I leave some stuff packaged and every once in a while, I give those away as birthday presents for children of friends.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
When I started in 1999, I didn't open anything. Then I opened a few duplicates I had, mostly army builders. I figured I'd eventually open stuff sometime, but only when I had the room to display stuff. A year or two after getting my own place, I started opening a lot more. At first I was going through the Brian's Toys catalog and opening the ones that weren't selling for very much. Gradually, I got around to opening most of those more expensive and harder to find ones. Sometime during the ROTS run of figures, I started opening figures much sooner after buying them. Now, I open virtually all of them right away.

For me, it was never really an investment, other than thinking that if I really needed the money, I could sell them and get something back. I just enjoy getting the figures, as I have a bit of a completist nature when it comes to collecting. I don't need every carded variation or every re-release of the same figure, but I have almost every unique figure. Most of the ones that aren't open are duplicates, or older POTF2 figures that are inferior to newer figures. Also, I do have a complete set of OTC and all the Vintage style figures carded. I haven't opened too many multipacks either, including comic packs and Order 66 sets. Someday they will probably all be open.

Blue2th
06-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Yup that mint on mint card collecting went out of me years ago. Trouble is, I have these MOMC collections all boxed up taking up space that could be used for other things like a car? :rolleyes:

I'll be selling them all eventually and keeping the loose collection. I don't expect a profit, never did. But I'll feel a whole lot better not worrying about it anymore, and I might get a little cash to pay for other things I want. Collecting is an evolving thing.

I can't believe all the cheezeball Star Trek Playmates 4" stuff I thought was cool at the time, but by today's standards is just that. Well except for the 12" and 9" line is still cool, keeping those.

With SW it's just one of each (good) figure, though I got hooked on the build a droid doh!, no repeats for MOMC, because Hasbro made it easy for me to wean myself from their very uncollectable cards. Thanks Hasbro you broke me of a bad habit. :yes: