PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Chuck Jones (1912-2002)

JediTricks
02-23-2002, 01:07 AM
Thrawn just informed me that legendary cartoon pioneer Chuck Jones has passed away just this evening, CNN and Yahoo news both have stories on this. He died in his Orange County home of congestive heart failure with his wife by his side. Truly, a tragic loss - many consider him the heart of the golden age of animation with all the memorable work he directed and famous characters he created. He was a brilliant, humble visionary of a man and I am sad to see him go.

Beast
02-23-2002, 01:16 AM
Wow, this guy touched so many lives with his work in the animation field. He will truely be missed. I grew up with Chuck Jones cartoons, as I'm sure alot of you did. I bow my head in silence for the passing of a legend. My thoughts are with his family and friends during this sad time. May the force be with him, always. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-23-2002, 01:22 AM
I'm very sorry to learn of his passing. It's my understanding that he also did some cartoon work for the Army during WWII. His body of work is indeed impressive.

Jeditricks, I like the quote they attributed to him, "Animation isn't the illusion of life; it is life" :)

LTBasker
02-23-2002, 01:29 AM
I was trying for a Wiley sign but it didn't turn out right... :(

B(y)eep, b(y)eep.

Rollo Tomassi
02-23-2002, 07:46 AM
:(

:cry:

Part of my childhood went with him.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-23-2002, 04:47 PM
Is this the roadrunner guy?

Beast
02-23-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by DARTH DUBIOUS
Is this the roadrunner guy?
Yes, he was the man that created Pepe Le Pew, Wily Coyote, and Roadrunner. Not to mention directed 50 Bugs Bunny cartoons as well as many many more. Here's his obituary from CNN.com:

Cartoon legend Chuck Jones dies
February 23, 2002 Posted: 5:10 AM EST (1010 GMT)

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/22/chuck.jones.obit/story.jones.ap.jpg

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Chuck Jones, creator of some of Warner Bros.' most famous characters including the Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote, and Pepe Le Pew, died Friday at the age of 89, the Orange County Coroner's office said.

The coroner's office said Jones died at his home of congestive heart failure.

A statement from Linda Jones Enterprises, Jones' daughter's company, said the animator died at home with his wife of 20 years, Marian, by his side.

Born September 21, 1912 in Spokane, Washington, Jones grew up in Hollywood, where he observed Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton while working as a child extra in silent comedies.

After graduating from Chouinard Art Institute in Los Angeles -- now the California Institute of the Arts -- Jones drew pencil portraits and sold them for a dollar each on the street. In 1932 he got his first job washing cels, or transparent sheets of celluloid, in the fledgling animation industry.

Four years later he became an animator for the Leon Schlesinger Studio, later sold to Warner Bros., where he was assigned to the team that made "Looney Tunes" and "Merrie Melodies" cartoons. AOL Time Warner is the parent company of Warner Bros. and CNN.

He directed his first animated film, The Night Watchman, at age 25. The six-minute cartoon used 5,000 animation drawings.

In his 60-year career, Jones made more than 300 animated films and won three Oscars, according to his Web site.

"Animation isn't the illusion of life; it is life," Jones once said.

A memorial for the animator is planned soon in Newport Beach, the statement from Linda Jones Enterprises said, while private services will be held for family members only.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
02-23-2002, 05:48 PM
He was also responsible for the animated version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Oh, that's sad. I too grew up watching his cartoons. Seriously funny stuff. he was a real rebel. A pioneer pushing the boundaries of the genre at a time when all around him were pushing crap. A sad sad day then.:cry:

SWAFMAN
02-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Part of my childhood went with him.

Amen, Rollo.

TeeEye7
02-24-2002, 07:10 AM
It pleases me that my 12 year old son much prefers Chuck Jones' work over the drivel produced by Hanna-Barbera and the like.

Jones' work is and will be forever timeless....:happy:

Obi-Don
02-24-2002, 07:27 AM
I can't believe he is gone. A great man who brought laughter into our lives as children and adults. He will be missed but not forgotten. Thoughts to the family and prayers.:cry:

Beast
02-24-2002, 02:15 PM
I think the following cartoon from Userfriendly.org puts it simply and is as perfect memorial to the memory of Chuck Jones. :D http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20020224

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks