PDA

View Full Version : What's this worth?

Postmortem
06-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I have what I'm sure is a a pretty rare item. I have not ever seen anyone else offing it for sale so I have no idea what it might be worth. It's a rather large display that includes Jengo Fett's Slave 1, and Obi Wann in his Jedistarfighter. It also features a nice back drop, including asteroids, that recreates the chase seen from Attack of the Clones. Unfortunately the clear plastic surrounding it was broken, and one of the magnets (for sticking it to a metal shelf) broke off. But other then that it's in great shape, just a bit dusty. I'm sure someone with the time and know how could fix the clear plastic cover. I thought I could, but never got around to it, and have decided that I'd rather not risk damaging it more by trying a repair myself. So I have been considering selling it. I have a link to a pic of it I'll add to the end of this thread, it's pretty big, about 30 inches long, 13 inches high, and 18 inches deep. Any kind of pricing and selling advice anyone could give would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9561/hpim0842n.jpg

Ji'dai
06-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Pic is too big to wait around until it loads, but here's my two cents. Your item sounds like an in-store display. The bricks in the ships are most likely glued together and possibly permanently attached to the display itself. I would say most LEGO collectors would rather buy the actual sets than sink money into glued display models. However, there are collectors who would love to own something unique like this. The only thing I could tell you is put it on eBay with a low starting bid and see what the market does with it.

Postmortem
06-10-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't think the parts are all glued together, at one point the gang plank fell off the slave 1, but I just reached in and popped it back on, that would be a big concern with shipping it, it might fall apart in shipping, not to mention it being so big

edit: also here is a smaller sized image
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1263/smalln.jpg

Ji'dai
06-11-2009, 09:08 AM
It's a nice display piece; too bad the front window is broken. It probably could be replaced with some new acryllic. How are the ships attached to the backdrop? Glue or screws?

Postmortem
06-11-2009, 10:58 AM
well I can see one screw under the jedistarfighter, so I assume the slave 1 must be screwed in to, but I can't tell for sure without ripping it apart

LusiferSam
06-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't know if this was exclusive to Target, but that's where I remember seeing this display. As for value, I think the that fact it's cracked is going to greatly diminish the value. The ships are just the ships, glued or unglued. You're buyer would be buying the piece as the whole. And if a major part is damaged like that huge crack in the top the value will for down.

As for shipping, that's going to be a nightmare. If the ships aren't glued part will come off. It doesn't matter how gentle the USPS, UPS, or FedEx is it will be bumped or jostled some. If it is glued you still will have to be careful. The glue I've seen Lego in Chess sets is good, but I can still use a brick separator on them easily. So the fact that brick came off and you put back on tells you nothing. You would need to look a see if that brick showed signs of being glued (discoloration or melted textures).

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.

Postmortem
06-12-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't know if this was exclusive to Target, but that's where I remember seeing this display. As for value, I think the that fact it's cracked is going to greatly diminish the value. The ships are just the ships, glued or unglued. You're buyer would be buying the piece as the whole. And if a major part is damaged like that huge crack in the top the value will for down.

As for shipping, that's going to be a nightmare. If the ships aren't glued part will come off. It doesn't matter how gentle the USPS, UPS, or FedEx is it will be bumped or jostled some. If it is glued you still will have to be careful. The glue I've seen Lego in Chess sets is good, but I can still use a brick separator on them easily. So the fact that brick came off and you put back on tells you nothing. You would need to look a see if that brick showed signs of being glued (discoloration or melted textures).

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.

I am pretty sure that this display was exclusive to Target, but not 100% sure, but anyway I do know for a fact that this display did come from Target, you also mention "So the fact that brick came off and you put back on tells you nothing." maybe you made a typo because, imho the fact that part of it came off seems to tell me a lot, like that the ships are not all glued together, I can't really inspect the ships further without damaging the display more, which I don't intend to do

I do agree that shipping this thing would be difficult, only way to ensure it's safety would to to fill the inside with something to stop the ships from falling to pieces, which could damage the outer cover more, but then again at this point I don't think it matters much I could just cut away the non broken section I suppose since it needs to be replaced, anyway thanks for the feedback

plasticfetish
06-12-2009, 04:34 AM
So which Target do you work at? ;)

I'd say the thing's only worth what the LEGO ships are worth on their own. Maybe if the thing were intact it would have value, but seeing as how the display case is badly broken, it's probably only worth as much as you paid. (Which I'm assuming isn't much... or anything.)

Blue2th
06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I agree with PF. The case doesn't look repairable, especially since it's the curved top to front piece. I would remove the ships, and the rocks might be good for some diorama and could be used with other toys besides Lego if you can remove them.

Don't collect Lego so I can't tell you what they are worth, but you could look up completed auctions on ebay to see what the individual ships are worth. That's if they are not glued together, otherwise there is no play value if you can't take them apart and put them back together.

I thought I saw something like this in Toys R Us also. They throw away a lot of cool stuff sometimes if you don't mind dumpster diving.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

Ji'dai
06-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd say the thing's only worth what the LEGO ships are worth on their own. If the ships are glued or have screws in them I doubt they're worth as much the regular retail versions.

I did a search for "LEGO display" on eBay and there are a few other store displays up for auction. They can give you an idea of what yours might be worth.

Postmortem
06-13-2009, 01:24 AM
If the ships are glued or have screws in them I doubt they're worth as much the regular retail versions.

I did a search for "LEGO display" on eBay and there are a few other store displays up for auction. They can give you an idea of what yours might be worth.

yeah I've searched for Lego displays, and the only one I have seen, the half xwing isn't nearly as nice as the one I have, but it goes for a decent amount from what I have seen , around $100, despite what some on this forum seem to think I don't doubt that it wouldn't be too hard to fix this display, I've been thinking it could fetch a decent, perhaps $200 price, I do appreciate all the feed back I have gotten though, and if most of the opnions given here hold true and the peice isn't worth much, then I think I'll just go ahead and keep it, and maybe try to fix it up, because I do personally think it's pretty cool, but I think I may ask around a bit on some other forums just to see if anyone may be interested in buying it, but like I said if not, I think will will try to fix it up myself