PDA

View Full Version : Micro Turbo Tank Kasyyyk playset custom

sergiurusu
06-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Maybe you remember that quite cool Micro Turbo Tank playset with Kasyyyk interior. Now my turbo Tank doesn't have a Kashyyyk Wookiee planet interior anymore.

I removed almost all of the interior Kashyyyk environment, excepting the 2 lateral parts, on the side doors, which had to remain since they were really hard to remove, and didn't want to risk more (for now). I took down the large middle land section and also the part that goes up/elevates with the trees and small orange buildings. Some were easy to remove with a screwdriver and others were harder to remove being glued (with tons of glue alas).

The first 2 attached pics are showing the original playset, the others are with my modifications.

sergiurusu
06-11-2009, 07:14 AM
I kept all original parts and screws in a bag in the idea that maybe in the future I want to reassemble the playset with Kashyyyk interior - though I REALLY doubt it (you'll see why reading below). I have another Micro Turbo Tank playset which is boxed so I'll keep that one with Kashyyyk interior playset.

The custom Turbo Tank I made has not only those Kashyyyk planet environment removed. I also added a few things to make it better. First I removed the small middle cannon that looks like a miniature satellite dish and replaced it with a bigger double cannon which looks way better. Then inside I added 2 pair of chairs and command centers in front and back of the vehicle.

On both sets of chairs I managed to use the original screws fitting them well in the Turob Tanks' floor. Plus some glue to add strength. All chairs are great for Action Fleet figures which fit perfectly inside. The chair sets came from an old space playset and from a die-cast car.

I also glued the lateral cannon things (those on the doors) and the bottom wheels, so the tank cannot open up/split like it was supposed to when displaying Kashyyyk planet. I also dropped a bit of glue on the wheels so no more flipping Turbo Tank wheel/Kashyyyk log and tree. Then I applied some stickers inside on the chairs and everywhere I could. I had some spare Micromachines stickers which went well here.

sergiurusu
06-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Since these pics were taken yesterday I also made some more changes, painted the screws on the chairs, added some paint on interior walls, removed more of the glue residue and added some more stickers. Now I have to find a way to remove the last 2 Kasyyyk sections that are still glued on the lateral doors. The bad thing is that the orange plastic showing Kasyyyk environment is much sturdier than the thin white door plastic

More pics of the playset (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v226/sergiurusu/Star%20Wars%20Action%20Fleet%20collection/?start=200)

Star Wars info about the Turbo Tank/Juggernaut (http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/turbotank/index.html)

Darth Duranium
06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Awesome, Sergiu. Unbelievable :thumbsup:

sergiurusu
06-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Thanks. Now I need to find a way to remove the environment panels off the lateral doors. But they have been glued and the doors and thinner than the plastic used for this diorama. :(

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Pretty cool!

That new top cannon is from POTF2 Deluxe Boba Fett's backpack, no?

sergiurusu
06-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Pretty cool!

That new top cannon is from POTF2 Deluxe Boba Fett's backpack, no?

It is from the POTF2 Deluxe Boba Fett's backpack indeed. I'm going to keep it there until finding a better one. The original cannon that the Turbo Tank came with is too small alas.

JediTricks
06-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Very cool! I made a custom swoop with that Boba Fett jetpack so I'm versed in its bits and pieces.

On the doors, you probably already know this, but it may be helpful to tap the hinge pins out and remove them before trying to pull the interior out.

sergiurusu
06-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Very cool! I made a custom swoop with that Boba Fett jetpack so I'm versed in its bits and pieces.

On the doors, you probably already know this, but it may be helpful to tap the hinge pins out and remove them before trying to pull the interior out.

Both lateral doors can be removed from the main TT body easily, they are attached very similar to the Action Fleet B-Wing or X-Wing cockpit hatch. But the problem is that the brown Kasyyyk part is heavily glued to the TT's white doors, and I'm afraid not to broke the doors, since the environment section is much thicker than the white doors...

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Oh, I thought they had metal pins holding the hinges and interior plates down.

Maybe you'll have to grind the inside parts flat and paint them white instead.

sergiurusu
06-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Oh, I thought they had metal pins holding the hinges and interior plates down.

Maybe you'll have to grind the inside parts flat and paint them white instead.

I was thinking of that too. But not sure if having the time or skills to do that...

sergiurusu
08-07-2009, 05:39 AM
I managed to fix better the lateral doors on the Micro Turbo Tank. I opened my other Turbo Tank which was still boxed and took off its side doors. The funny thing on this one was that the diorama parts were quite easy to remove except for 2 tiny parts which had to be cut but now I have 2 clean doors for my TT. The others with the dio still attached I added to the boxed TT. I had a few extra stickers from various MicroMachines playsets so I used them here. Still not 100% satisfied, but this will do until moving to the new house and having more time to work on it.

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Pretty neat, good job.

sergiurusu
08-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks again!