PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating... (the little random quirks in the PT that make you go goofy inside)

JEDIpartner
06-12-2009, 08:48 AM
...the squidgy face Anakin pulls during Qui-Gon's funeral after Obi-Wan promises him that he will be trained as a Jedi.

:p

JEDIpartner
06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
...the spaceman at Mos Espa who is talking to himself as he walks.

pbarnard
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
The 1138 codes on the DVDs.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-12-2009, 05:15 PM
...the spaceman at Mos Espa who is talking to himself as he walks.
Who we now know is Rum Sleg, coming in the TPM wave.

I always like the "Mmm" that Palpatine adds after Mas Amedda says "If only Senator Amidala were here." That's one off the top of my head.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2009, 08:40 AM
In TPM, when the Queen's protector takes a message on his handheld comlink and says his own name to initiate the conversation, it always sounds like "Binaca," and looks like he's squirting some breath spray into his mouth. (yeah, I know it's "Panaka," but that's not "goofy" enough for me :D )

The "space football" game on the screen in the Outlander Club (I believe the quarterback-robot gets sacked).

Anakin perhaps describing himself in AOTC when he says sand is rough, irritating, and gets everywhere.

Two words: "NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH!!!!!"

JEDIpartner
06-13-2009, 01:16 PM
...When Obi-Wan's hair keeps changing lengths/styles at the end of The Phantom Menace.

Snowtrooper
06-13-2009, 10:47 PM
-How people are talking in the middle of Qui-Gon's funeral ceremony.

sebillba
06-14-2009, 01:14 AM
...When Obi-Wan's hair keeps changing lengths/styles at the end of The Phantom Menace.

It's more that it changes from his own hair to a particularly bad rug. Also, how his padawan braid changes sides.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2009, 10:21 AM
...When Obi-Wan's hair keeps changing lengths/styles at the end of The Phantom Menace.And Qui-Gon's mysterious moving mustache, too.

Plus, finding out that the end song at the Theed Palace celbration was a peppy version of the Emperor's theme was cool.

2-1B
06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Palpatine's "I think they will" in ROTS.

Rocketboy
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
That weird floor creak (or something crashing off stage) as Palps is suggesting the Queen may have to declare a vote of no confidence.

The way nearly every character is almost immediately introduced by name.
"It's Queen Amidala herself!"
"I will contact Lord Sidious."
"Mesa called Jar Jar Binks."
"This is my apprentice, Darth Maul."

Blue2th
06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I like the odd little phrases from Jar Jar and Boss Nass.

"Oh mooi mooi I love you"

"Well that smells stinklewith"

I used to call all the mechanics at the Ford dealership I worked at "you da mekaneeks"
or if we had to go get one "you bring da mekaneeks"

They didn't get it but I liked it.

I remember phrases more than any other quirks, and use them in daily life.
Though sometimes I'll misquote, and SW fans will correct me.

tagmac
06-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Here's a couple that stand out for me:

- The part in AOTC when Palpatine is talking to Anakin, and just before the scene cuts, you see them walking side-by-side, with Palpy's hands up in front of his stomach, pointed down, the same way the Emperor holds his. Excellent foreshadowing!

- The very first time Obi-Wan speaks, you are instantly reminded that this is meant to be a young Alec Guiness. Ewan McGregor nailed it perfectly!

- When Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan first ignite their lightsabers - it was at that point where it felt like SW again. Sadly, after the battle w/ the droids, that feeling didn't return until R2 appeared.

- Palpatine first trying to run (only to be called out), then screaming like a wimp as Yoda turned back the lightning. Here is the biggest, baddest guy in the galaxy, and yet even he knows that he can't beat Yoda. Heck, Yoda only lost that fight because of where he was standing when the Force-burst knocked them both back - Palpy clearly wasn't going to win otherwise.

- The drums of war to open ROTS - best opening sequence of the entire Saga, with all do respect to that of ANH.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
- The drums of war to open ROTS - best opening sequence of the entire Saga, with all do respect to that of ANH.Yes, when they make that turn and the battle scene is revealed, it is quite an impressive sight.

JEDIpartner
06-24-2009, 08:19 AM
....when Kitster and Wald don't really complete the handslap at the end of the podrace when Anakin wins.

Rocketboy
06-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Episode II: Padme's tight white outfit (complete with bouncing when she runs off the gunship).

And Padme's do everything button on her ship.

Blue2th
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
When Anakin starts his Podracer the kids are jumping for joy, the little girl is smiling...with braces on.

JEDIpartner
06-24-2009, 02:07 PM
When Anakin starts his Podracer the kids are jumping for joy, the little girl is smiling...with braces on.

LOL!! I guess I missed that part!! :love:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Wald's "woo-hoo-hoo" and dance when Anakin wins the pod race.

JEDIpartner
06-25-2009, 12:05 PM
...the missing Threepio in the flag parade. :)

Darth Metalmute
06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
...that even though Anakin and Obi-Wan can manipulate objects in the force, Padme has to use here bobby pin to get their shackles off in the Arena.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Wondering where Yoda put all those Force lightnings he absorbed from Dooku and Palpy.

What really happened to Chancellor Valorum after the VoNC? Retired? Killed off? Moved to Hologram Fun World?

Why after one "easy" answer, Qui-Gon felt "there was no fooling you, Anakin."

Just how many extra Jedi robes did they have each? And, like discarded soda cans and bottles, were these robes just left in curbs and gutters all over the galaxy?

Mad Slanted Powers
06-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Just how many extra Jedi robes did they have each? And, like discarded soda cans and bottles, were these robes just left in curbs and gutters all over the galaxy?Droids come along and clean all that stuff up.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Droids come along and clean all that stuff up.I thought Don Henley said lawyers do that. :pleased:

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 12:18 AM
...that even though Anakin and Obi-Wan can manipulate objects in the force, Padme has to use here bobby pin to get their shackles off in the Arena.She has a lockpick hidden in her sleeve, actually.

JEDIpartner
06-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Watching Ewan McGregor's mouth say "ten thousand" and hearing him say "twenty thousand" when talking to Qui-Gon about Anakin's midichlorian count.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2009, 12:40 PM
In TPM, seeing Padme close her eyes as she fires her gun when the Naboo soldiers enter the hanger (this screen shot was even on a poster, I believe).

Dorme's (I think that was the handmaiden) well-timed tear when Padme leaves with Anakin for Naboo in the middle of AOTC. Who says SW films don't have good acting?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Watching Ewan McGregor's mouth say "ten thousand" and hearing him say "twenty thousand" when talking to Qui-Gon about Anakin's midichlorian count.
I hadn't noticed that, but there's also Padmé mouthing "I'm going to save Obi-Wan" but saying "I'm going to help Obi-Wan" right before they leave Tatooine in AOTC.

El Chuxter
07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Random quirks in the PT that deserve praise all seem to involve Liam Neeson somehow.

jedibear
07-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Episode II....Padme's do everything button on her ship.

That makes me laugh every time! lol

EpOne: Qui-Gon "holstering" his light saber after rescuing the Queen on the street like an old pistol out of a western or something...

EpTwo: The entire Kenobi meets Jango scene....it's just a great scene.

EpThree: Anakin and Obi-Wan in sync when flying and fighting in the first part of the movie...looks cool.

JEDIpartner
07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
...when Natalie Portman takes a bite of the CG fruit and it looks like someone should add an overly loud "schlopp" sound effect there.

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Qui Gon's Vulcan death grip on Jar Jar

Mad Slanted Powers
08-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Qui Gon's Vulcan death grip on Jar JarBut there's no such thing as a Vulcan Death Grip.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2009, 10:00 AM
But there's no such thing as a Vulcan Death Grip.Mind tricks don't work on him, only money. :greedy: You don't want to sell any deathsticks, and you want to go home and re-think your life. :tired:

Qui-Long Gone
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
^I don't want to sell any deathsticks, and I want to go home and rethink my life. :tired:

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Qui Gon's Vulcan death grip on Jar JarI like the line after it, where Obi-Wan goes "I think you overdid it" but he says it super fast and run together so it's "Ithinkyouoverdidit"

Qui-Long Gone
08-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I go goofy thinking about Anakin slaughtering Jedi children....nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

El Chuxter
08-07-2009, 06:04 PM
And I just find it goofy that Anakin finds out Palpatine was lying to him all along and still has a hard-on for killing a bunch of kids.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2009, 06:20 PM
How... slowly... characters'... names... are... given... the first... time...

"Artoo-De-Too, your highness."
"Hencefore, you shall be known as... Darth... Vader..."
"Ah... Queen Ami-da-la..."

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I like the way Nute Gunray says, "Ah..Victory."

dr_evazan22
08-07-2009, 06:36 PM
In the Geonosis arena, Nute's laugh / snicker when Padme gets tagged by the Nexu. Then, a minute later, when Padme gets the upper hand on the Nexu and Nute says something like, "Wait! She can't do that! Jango, shoot her or something!"

Darkross
08-17-2009, 07:26 PM
I love the fact that Padme is able to pick her cuffs with a hair pin, while Anakin and Obi-Wan could use the force...but choose to let the wild beasts break their chains.

Darkross
08-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I also forgot about the scene where Padme nearly gets ripped in half by the nexxu...let out a blood curtling scream...then was fine the rest of the movie.

El Chuxter
08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
On a similar note, in the original release (before people joked about it and it was cleaned up for the IMAX and DVD versions), Padme falls from the gunship and writhes around moaning for several seconds as if she's on the brink of death. A clonetrooper asks if she's okay, and she enthusiastically yells, "Yes!" and jumps up.

JimJamBonds
08-17-2009, 08:45 PM
On a similar note, in the original release (before people joked about it and it was cleaned up for the IMAX and DVD versions), Padme falls from the gunship and writhes around moaning for several seconds as if she's on the brink of death. A clonetrooper asks if she's okay, and she enthusiastically yells, "Yes!" and jumps up.

And takes off with a very "girly" stride.

2-1B
08-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Padme gets tagged by the Nexu.

was that in the "adults only" version ? :confused:

Qui-Long Gone
08-17-2009, 11:29 PM
^it's a bootlegged copy from India...much more entertaining than Lucas' version. :lipsrsealed::whip:

El Chuxter
08-17-2009, 11:41 PM
I thought the Indian bootleg version involved Grievous calling Anakin "smelly boy!"

(Look up Backstroke of the West sometime....)

Qui-Long Gone
08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
I thought the Indian bootleg version involved Grievous calling Anakin "smelly boy!"

(Look up Backstroke of the West sometime....)

Will I have to enter my parental control password for video from this? :tired:;)

Darkross
08-23-2009, 09:51 PM
I love that jump that Padme does from the top of the pillar...which makes us men wince...and then subtly gives Anakin a quick little peck on the cheek.

Qui-Long Gone
08-24-2009, 03:40 PM
^That's why women can jump on a saddle from such heights!!!! I tried that once on my bike when I was 6....ONCE...:(:cry:

Darkross
08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
I watched Revenge of the Sith again this past week...and there's two things that get me everytime I watch the Obi-Wan / Anakin duel.

1. What on earth is Anakin mouthing (silently) when he's trying to wrestle the lightsaber out of Obi-Wan's hand?

And...

2. Notice that it is Obi-Wan's lightsaber that he's holding in the above sequence...then it is Anakin's in the next shot.

El Chuxter
08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
He's saying, "Keep in mind this is a springboard to better roles, Hayden."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-31-2009, 11:57 PM
I watched Revenge of the Sith again this past week...and there's two things that get me everytime I watch the Obi-Wan / Anakin duel.

1. What on earth is Anakin mouthing (silently) when he's trying to wrestle the lightsaber out of Obi-Wan's hand?

And...

2. Notice that it is Obi-Wan's lightsaber that he's holding in the above sequence...then it is Anakin's in the next shot.
I never thought he was mouthing anything, just intensely trying to beat Obi-Wan . . . when I get mad, I unintentionally bite my lower lip, so dunno, maybe it's like that.

As for the lightsabers, it seems that they were going to fight each other with each other's sabers for a little bit. That's evidenced by those shots as well as the Mustafar playset where the figures had each other's lightsabers. I'm not sure how that would have fit in to anything. Palpatine was also going to use Anakin's saber in the Mace fight, as seen in a few shots and on the figure, but again, that was changed somewhere along the way.

Rocketboy
09-01-2009, 07:40 AM
The lightsaber switcheroo on Mustafar was a result of the fight being trimmed down and we never saw the actual switch.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Did Reese's Peanut Butter Cups do a tie-in for ROTS?

"You got chocolate in my PNB!"
"No, that's just your saber hilt melting in this heat."
"I thought it was the humidity."
"Only a Sith deals in cliches."
"I HATE YOU!!!"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Did Reese's Peanut Butter Cups do a tie-in for ROTS?

"You got chocolate in my PNB!"
"No, that's just your saber hilt melting in this heat."
"I thought it was the humidity."
"Only a Sith deals in cliches."
"I HATE YOU!!!"
Stealing my ideas again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDx801nuENg), I see . . .

:p

Darkross
09-07-2009, 07:14 PM
I love the whole Padme in labor scene...only a few moments earlier she was "running" (apparently 8-9 months) pregrant to Anakin on Mustafar...and then seamingly effortlessly giving birth to twins. I know it was for the kiddies...but there are too many of those easy moments in Star Wars!

Darkross
09-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I love the TPM hangar scene where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan lightsaber all of the battle droids as they free the pilots, and as they board the Queen's ship, you see a battle droid's legs walking around...he he!

Devo
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
When Anakin and Padme go to the Lars Homestead in AOTC the first shot shows them walking towards camera with R2 not far behind and their ship all the way in the background. Then Padme tells R2 to stay with the ship. I can imagine R2 saying in his own way "FFS you wait till we're 4/5ths of the way to the moisture farm before telling me 'oh by the way R2, you wait with the ship'!!!!"

Darkross
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I like the scene in TPM where Qui-Gon is transmitting the midicholorian count to Obi-Wan...and Qui-Gon is inserting the blood test into a black spray paint ladies razor (Gillette I think!).

JEDIpartner
09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah... when I discovered what that was made from, I went out to the store just to see it for myself!!!!

JEDIpartner
09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I love the whole Padme in labor scene...only a few moments earlier she was "running" (apparently 8-9 months) pregrant to Anakin on Mustafar...and then seamingly effortlessly giving birth to twins. I know it was for the kiddies...but there are too many of those easy moments in Star Wars!

And is she carrying the babies lengthwise in her torso? Do you know how big a woman carrying full-term twins gets??!!!

Also, I want the drugs they were giving her on Polis Massa!! How easy was her labour and delivery of the twins???!!! :eek:

El Chuxter
09-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Given how skinny Natalie Portman is, Padme wasn't big enough to have carried one baby for four months, much less two babies so far beyond a normal pregnancy that they're completely awake and aware at birth. Not to mention it must've been rather tough to pass two babies whose skulls had properly shaped and set without those crazy Polis Massa drugs.

Rocketboy
09-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Those drugs are probably what killed her!

El Chuxter
09-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Leia would've been the more powerful Jedi of the two. Unfortunately, the Polis Massa drugs completely destroyed the midichlorions in her brain.

Darkross
09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
The sound of Padme's gun on Naboo...sounded like WOK, WOK...(I've always hated the sound of her gun!)...and anything that Captain Panaka said...ugh!:p

Jayspawn
10-21-2009, 10:04 AM
The sound of Padme's gun on Naboo...sounded like WOK, WOK...(I've always hated the sound of her gun!)...and anything that Captain Panaka said...ugh!:p

I've always loved the sound of the Naboo pistols! Neat sound.

Some of Panaka's dialogue is a buzzkill. Good thing they used Jango for cloning and not Panaka. The Clones would have an entirely different disposition!

JEDIpartner
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Ric Ollie: "You catch on real quick..."

Anakin: "..."

LOL

Darkross
10-24-2009, 07:52 PM

LOL

Ric Ollie: "Sheild generator's been hit!" That line drives me NUTS!...or at least the way he says it!

El Chuxter
10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Goofy inside, and not in a good way: "Now this is podracing!"

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I think of the naboo pistols as "bwah bwah", and I also find it distractingly annoying.

"Now this is podracing" is quite an embarrassing line, but if Lucas hadn't been so heavy with the scissors in the editing room, it actually wouldn't have been at all, since it's a callback to a deleted scene line where R2 is chastising Anakin for not flying safely by reminding him that he's not piloting a pod anymore, to which Anakin replies "I know this isn't podracing!" The stupid "spinning, now that's a good trick" is similarly played wrong thanks to the edit.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-08-2009, 09:30 AM
You mean like the weird "end" to the desert Maul/Qui-Gon lightsaber battle?

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 02:16 PM
The fact that we don't see Qui-Gon kick Maul off the boarding ramp? I don't find that bit to be as incongruous as the Ani dialogue in the final edit, but I guess a case for that could be made.

2-1B
11-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Well I think the Maul/Jinn desert duel was already weird at the start, since Qui and Ani are running from something unforeseen. I can see if it was written that way, to add suspense, but it obviously wasn't planned that way.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-08-2009, 06:33 PM
That was my point. So I give The Medical Droid user name all the credit for expanding my concept. :D

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Well I think the Maul/Jinn desert duel was already weird at the start, since Qui and Ani are running from something unforeseen. I can see if it was written that way, to add suspense, but it obviously wasn't planned that way.
I forgot about that, Ani and Qui-Gon are running from something that got cut in the edit, a Sith probe droid. So that scene is double-butchered. It never bothered me that they were running though. Actually, I'd say it's the directing in that scene that fails, Anakin barely has time to stop and notice Maul's incursion before yelping to Qui-Gon in the script, and on screen it's even faster which makes it difficult to decipher.

Qui-Long Gone
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I thought they were running because they had to pee....

2-1B
11-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I thought they were running because they had to pee....

They should have taken a restroom break during the Pod race sequence (even longer on the DVD version). lol lol lol

tagmac
11-12-2009, 11:09 AM

LOL

I heard there was actually a line of dialogue there, where Olie tells Anakin "just like mah Old Laaaydiee." :D

tagmac
11-12-2009, 11:13 AM

To be perfectly honest, I'm not the greatest at reading lips, but it looked to me that he said a common, two-word phrase that people use when telling someone off, and that I cannot repeat on this forum. Considering it was a PG-13 rating, Lucas could easily have gotten away with it, especially if it was only mouthed, and not actually spoken.

El Chuxter
11-12-2009, 11:37 AM
"Anakin, have you ever been in a Corellian prison?"

"Anakin, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

Qui-Long Gone
11-12-2009, 12:18 PM
"Anakin, do you like movies with Russel Crowe as a gladiator?"

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2009, 05:29 PM
But tagmac thought it was a 2-word phrase:

"Diet Pepsi."
"Sitting duck."