PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating... (the little random quirks in the OT that make you go goofy inside)

JEDIpartner
06-12-2009, 08:50 AM
...the John Wayne dialogue that was run through a sound processor to give you Garindan's voice.

...when Yoda's eye goes crossed when he says "You will be... heh-- you will be!" in The Empire Strikes Back.

:p

JEDIpartner
06-12-2009, 12:42 PM
...when See-Threepio's eyes "blink" when he says "Atroo-Detoo? It is you! It is you!!" in the Jawa Sandcrawler.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Han as the cussing master of the OT: "D@mn fool." "Then I'll see you in h3ll." "What the-"

Chewie's disappearing dice in the MF cockpit.

Luke clearly loosing his grip on the skiff plank, yet flipping up in the air (also, Luke & Leia's swing to safety from above from nowhere later on).

Seeing Anthony Daniel's nose in the Cloud City detention cell scene with Chewbacca (when he's inside the Threepio costume backward).

bigbarada
06-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Trying to figure out exactly where Han and Luke stashed their clothing (boots included) when they got into the Stormtrooper disguises in the Death Star.

The notion that Chewbacca was supposed to be a prisoner on the Death Star, yet they never considered that it might look a little suspicious having a prisoner walking around with a bandolier full of ammunition wrapped around his body.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2009, 08:48 AM
The notion that Chewbacca was supposed to be a prisoner on the Death Star, yet they never considered that it might look a little suspicious having a prisoner walking around with a bandolier full of ammunition wrapped around his body.Well, EU would say since Wookiees helped (were forced) to build the DS, it wouldn't have been so unusual to see one. Besides, with no gun, ammo isn't all that helpful (especially if you're bound).

Luke never paying for his drink request in the cantina.

Ben's lightsaber fizzing out.

Wondering where Leia stashed her slave girl costume on the MF.

Lobot's quick "I'm awake!" eye-opening when Lando calls him.

JEDIpartner
06-13-2009, 01:15 PM
...the one Jawa who limps across the screen with his palms facing up as if he is looking for a handout. :)

bigbarada
06-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Well, EU would say since Wookiees helped (were forced) to build the DS, it wouldn't have been so unusual to see one. Besides, with no gun, ammo isn't all that helpful (especially if you're bound).

Try walking into an airport with a box full of bullets and see how far you get. :D

The Sandtroopers who are going after Luke and Co. are carrying these gigantic cannons, but when they turn the corner into the Falcon hangar, they've all got the standard handheld blasters.

Snowtrooper
06-13-2009, 05:04 PM
-The supposed precision of Imperial Stormtroopers when they can't seem to hit a damn thing.

-Having to send all those ships to fly down a trench to fire a torpedo into an exhaust port when it would have been easier to have been shooting at it from straight above.

-How Rodians all seem to be wearing the same outfit.

-Watching Obi-Wan's & Vader's lightsabers visibly bend during their duel.

-The stormtroopers lack of peripheral vision when Ob-Wan is taking out the tractor beam.

bobafrett
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
-

-The stormtroopers lack of peripheral vision when Ob-Wan is taking out the tractor beam.

Have you ever tried to look out of one of those helmets? I have, and you can't see a whole lot. :glasses:

Snowtrooper
06-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Have you ever tried to look out of one of those helmets? I have, and you can't see a whole lot. :glasses:

I've never worn one, and judging from the eyepieces, yeah, I'm sure you can't see very much. I was thinking how something like that should work if it was real, and for it to be viable for a military it couldn't impede your peripheral vision or it would be pretty worthless.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Didn't Luke say he couldn't "see anything in this helmet"?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Didn't Luke say he couldn't "see anything in this helmet"?And later, Palpatine tells him, "you will pay for your lack of vision."

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2009, 03:34 PM
And later, Palpatine tells him, "you will pay for your lack of vision."
I thought that was my optometrist who said that.

bigbarada
06-14-2009, 04:50 PM
I thought that was my optometrist who said that.

lol

-How the Snowspeeders just happened to have tow cables, long enough to wrap several times around AT-AT legs, as standard equipment.

-The Stormtroopers on Endor screaming in agony while being lightly tapped by rocks tied to sticks.

-The Stormtrooper on Bespin holding an imaginary blaster, while his real blaster is clipped to his belt.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-14-2009, 07:06 PM
-The Stormtroopers on Endor screaming in agony while being lightly tapped by rocks tied to sticks.Don't underestimate those Ewoks. They played a lot of stickball. Chief Chirpa has a wicked fastball.

Darth Metalmute
06-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Why did Vader have Luke handcuffed before taking him to see the Emperor when he knows Jedi can use the Force to remove the cuffs?

When the Emperor dismisses the Royal Guards, where do they go considering that I imagine the elevator is the only way in and out of the Emperor's chambers?

Speaking of which, if the elevator in the Emperor's chambers is the only way in and out, what do you suppose the conversation is in said elevator when Luke is carrying Vader's body down to the hanger, with the Royal Guards using the same elevator to escape as well? Did they lend a hand to help Luke carry Vader?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Trying to figure out exactly where Han and Luke stashed their clothing (boots included) when they got into the Stormtrooper disguises in the Death Star.
Come to think of it, where did they put the bodies of the stormtroopers and scanning technicians they killed? Did they just put them in the cargo hold of the Falcon, meaning they were still on there at least until they got to Yavin? And why did nobody go looking for the scanning crew after a while?

bigbarada
06-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Come to think of it, where did they put the bodies of the stormtroopers and scanning technicians they killed? Did they just put them in the cargo hold of the Falcon, meaning they were still on there at least until they got to Yavin? And why did nobody go looking for the scanning crew after a while?

Well, I know the Stormtroopers in that control room were pretty much left laying where they were killed. I would guess that the four guys killed on the Falcon were stowed away in those smuggling compartments. Probably jetisoned into space when they escaped the Death Star.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Well, I know the Stormtroopers in that control room were pretty much left laying where they were killed. I would guess that the four guys killed on the Falcon were stowed away in those smuggling compartments. Probably jetisoned into space when they escaped the Death Star.Nope. Chewie ate them while the MF was in hyperspace. Like eating a chocolate Easter bunny, he pulled off the arms first. :eek:

Others:
- Threepio's sound effects during his SW Saga retelling
- The shotgun sound when Leia fired the blaster across the DS chasm in ANH
- Han's disappearing chains while in carbonite (as well as his "eek!" hands pose while getting frozen)

JediTricks
06-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Chewie's disappearing dice in the MF cockpit.And his disappearing bandolier in the same shot.

(also, Luke & Leia's swing to safety from above from nowhere later on).They are swinging from the sail's framework, which extends beyond the width of the barge.

Seeing Anthony Daniel's nose in the Cloud City detention cell scene with Chewbacca (when he's inside the Threepio costume backward).Never heard of that one, and pretty sure that's a puppet as well.

-The supposed precision of Imperial Stormtroopers when they can't seem to hit a damn thing.You should see how awful the shots are from the Sandpeople that Ben is comparing them to. ;)

Nope. Chewie ate them while the MF was in hyperspace. Like eating a chocolate Easter bunny, he pulled off the arms first. :eek:Nobody pulls the arms of a chocolate bunny. Most don't even have arms.

- The shotgun sound when Leia fired the blaster across the DS chasm in ANHThat is only in the SE, and it's not a shotgun sound, it's a 9mm blank cartridge.

Han's disappearing chains while in carbonite (as well as his "eek!" hands pose while getting frozenThe cuffs around his biceps? I think they're made of carbonite and melted. :p

JimJamBonds
06-22-2009, 10:35 PM
-Having to send all those ships to fly down a trench to fire a torpedo into an exhaust port when it would have been easier to have been shooting at it from straight above.

But the hole wasn't straight up, the only way it could be hit was with a "frontal assault."

Bel-Cam Jos
06-22-2009, 11:57 PM
But the hole wasn't straight up, the only way it could be hit was with a "frontal assault."Then start the attack run closer to the target, so that the audience doesn't get as much of a sense of drama and so the movie's shorter. I mean, uh, so they, um, well, the pilots could... oh, never mind... :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
06-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Then start the attack run closer to the target, so that the audience doesn't get as much of a sense of drama and so the movie's shorter. I mean, uh, so they, um, well, the pilots could... oh, never mind... :rolleyes:

Now that could work.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-23-2009, 09:09 AM
They could have sent Ewoks down to the surface in zero-G suits to throw rocks at it.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-23-2009, 09:16 AM
They could have sent Ewoks down to the surface in zero-G suits to throw rocks at it.Ah, I see you've read The Force Unleashed, where Wookiees are in suits on the surface of the Death Star...

Mad Slanted Powers
06-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Ah, I see you've read The Force Unleashed, where Wookiees are in suits on the surface of the Death Star...Nope, ain't read that.

Darth Jax
06-23-2009, 06:48 PM
And his disappearing bandolier in the same shot.

You should see how awful the shots are from the Sandpeople that Ben is comparing them to. ;)

yet they're able to hit podracers a generation earlier.

Snowtrooper
06-23-2009, 11:43 PM
But the hole wasn't straight up, the only way it could be hit was with a "frontal assault."

From the simulation they ran during the breifing, I thought it was straight up cause it looked like they were trying to drop torpedoes down into it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-24-2009, 01:03 AM
yet they're able to hit podracers a generation earlier.
Anakin must have killed all the good shots. :D

JEDIpartner
06-24-2009, 08:17 AM
...when the one Ewok cries over the death of his friend. (and mind you, I hate Ewoks!)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Just how deep is the atmosphere around Cloud City? Luke sure could breathe easy hangin' out below the CC, also considering his extensive cardio workout.

How the X-Wings and transports could just hang around outdoors (when Luke was leaving Hoth), with no Imperial attacks.

Han talking to Lando in the freezing chamber, thereby giving Paulie Shore his signature line (bu-ddy?). :D

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 12:21 AM
How about when the entire Rebel Alliance on Yavin snapped to attention because a giant walking carpet yelled during a medal ceremony?

Then start the attack run closer to the target, so that the audience doesn't get as much of a sense of drama and so the movie's shorter. I mean, uh, so they, um, well, the pilots could... oh, never mind... :rolleyes:It's hard to find a 2-meter hole on a small moon-sized surface! The trench was their only findable frame of reference.

yet they're able to hit podracers a generation earlier.Yes, but that is the fault of the movie 22 years its junior.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Knowing that Peter Cushing filmed his scenes in the DS briefing room in slippers, since the boots hurt his feet.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Knowing that Peter Cushing filmed his scenes in the DS briefing room in slippers, since the boots hurt his feet.

Were they bunny slippers?

Darth Metalmute
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Knowing that even though the Death Star had the ability to destroy any planet, it still went around Yavin Prime in order to destroy Yavin 4.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Knowing that even though the Death Star had the ability to destroy any planet, it still went around Yavin Prime in order to destroy Yavin 4.Maybe blowing up Yavin would've rained down planetary debris on Yavin IV and made the Rebels suffer more, and the Imperials weren't as cruel as that. :rolleyes:

Darth Metalmute
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Maybe blowing up Yavin would've rained down planetary debris on Yavin IV and made the Rebels suffer more, and the Imperials weren't as cruel as that. :rolleyes:

You know someone on the Imperial Senete made that decision.:rolleyes:
"It would be very Green of you if you saved energy by not blowing up the uninhabited gas planet."

Had they blown up Yavin, I imagine some of the debris would have taken out a good portion of the X-Wings and Y-Wings making the attack run.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-07-2009, 05:29 PM
It was Admiral Ozzel's brother's fault. He came out of hyperspace on the wrong side of the planet.

JEDIpartner
07-09-2009, 12:05 PM
...the terrible ADR on pretty much all of Carrie Fisher's dialogue. LOL

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I probably shouldn't link due to language, but there's an *ahem* "Cracked" website that is today featuring a list of seven OT characters who had terrible judgment. It's pretty funny.

JediTricks
08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Knowing that even though the Death Star had the ability to destroy any planet, it still went around Yavin Prime in order to destroy Yavin 4.It took the DS1 a day to recharge the superlaser, and Yavin was a gas giant so blowing it up would be exceptionally difficult.

Darth Metalmute
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
It took the DS1 a day to recharge the superlaser, and Yavin was a gas giant so blowing it up would be exceptionally difficult.

A day to recharge the laser? Wow, didn't know that. No wonder why the imperials couldn't beat the rebels. Inefficiency.

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
When Solo shot Greedo first, I remember thinking...'dang, that's one cool hero!'

Devo
08-05-2009, 09:52 PM
The way any imperial or jabba thug is presumed evil and killed without hesitation by the heroes!

IG-88, that awkward stick thing, being an 'assassin' droid!

Amanaman supposedly being a bounty hunter!

Waves of TIEs clearly appearing from nowhere as the space battle above endor begins.

An A-wing pilot casually delivering a line before appearing to be blown up by 2 pursuing TIE interceptors. Neither his line nor his delivery of it gave any sense of fear or awareness of the immediate danger he was in. Although this may be just a mistake of editing because I think this pilot is seen again. But theres definitely a cockpit shot of an A-wing pilot, TIE fighters visibly on his 6, followed immediatley by a shot of 2 Interceptors blowing up an A-wing.

Oh and the way a tiny starfighter colliding with the bridge of the Super star destroyer causes it to lose all control and ultimately crash into the death star. So no back-up systems anywhere else on this massive spaceship then?

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
IG-88, that awkward stick thing, being an 'assassin' droid!
All I know is that when I read his story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, he suddenly became something to fear. Then I played Shadows of the Empire, and was almost feeling that fear when I had to fight him.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Also, the IG-86s in the Clone Wars show are pretty effective (and awesome).

bigbarada
08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
An A-wing pilot casually delivering a line before appearing to be blown up by 2 pursuing TIE interceptors. Neither his line nor his delivery of it gave any sense of fear or awareness of the immediate danger he was in. Although this may be just a mistake of editing because I think this pilot is seen again. But theres definitely a cockpit shot of an A-wing pilot, TIE fighters visibly on his 6, followed immediatley by a shot of 2 Interceptors blowing up an A-wing.

That's Arvel Crynyd and he's ultimately the guy who crashes into the Super Star Destroyer. It was just awkward editing, he's seen again almost immediately after that A-Wing explodes. Other than the "Roger Bravo Leader" A-Wing pilot from the beginning of the Death Star run, Arvel is the only A-Wing Pilot to have lines in the film.

bigbarada
08-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Amanaman supposedly being a bounty hunter!

I never had any trouble imagining that Amanaman would be an effective killer, assuming he's from a jungle environment and you imagine him lying almost completely motionless, then dropping down on his prey from above. But he'd be more like a animal predator hunting his prey, not a bounty hunter.

Besides, nowhere in the movie does it say that he's a bounty hunter. That's based on an EU story written over a decade after the film was released.

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2009, 01:03 PM
The Sarlac freaked me out....but not so much so when they added the unecessary (Feed-me-Seymour) beak...that made it 100 times less threatening...the original was just plain freaky good....

TeeEye7
08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
When Solo shot Greedo first, I remember thinking...'dang, that's one cool hero!'
Agreed. The SE version softens Han's bad-boy image tremendously. I thought his proactive persona was much cooler than the reactive geek. You would think smugglers would be wary of characters like Greedo and the danger which surrounds them. But noooo! G.Lu dilutes him into a pansy.

The Sarlac freaked me out....but not so much so when they added the unecessary (Feed-me-Seymour) beak...that made it 100 times less threatening...the original was just plain freaky good....

Again, I agree with QLG. The less-is-more version lets your imagination run as to what may be beneath the sand. Being left alone to conjure up your own image is much better than being force-fed Audry II.

JediTricks
08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
A day to recharge the laser? Wow, didn't know that. No wonder why the imperials couldn't beat the rebels. Inefficiency.Well, with failure comes learning, the second Death Star didn't have the exhaust port weakspot and only took a few minutes to recharge its laser. But they still couldn't count on losing to teddy bears.

Oh and the way a tiny starfighter colliding with the bridge of the Super star destroyer causes it to lose all control and ultimately crash into the death star. So no back-up systems anywhere else on this massive spaceship then?It actually did have a back-up bridge, it just hadn't been switched-over to.

All I know is that when I read his story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, he suddenly became something to fear. Then I played Shadows of the Empire, and was almost feeling that fear when I had to fight him.Yeah, IG-88 in SOTE was probably the best villain in the game because of the noise and the way he moved and the ambiance.

The Sarlac freaked me out....but not so much so when they added the unecessary (Feed-me-Seymour) beak...that made it 100 times less threatening...the original was just plain freaky good....FULLY agreed.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Han's bad attempt to "hotwire" the shield bunker door.

Han's "oh yeah? Watch this" failed attempt to go to light speed.

Han's loud attempt to sneak up on the Biker Scout, breaking a twig.

Han's howling-mad-commando attempt to chase the Stormtroopers on the Death Star.

Han's lame attempt to bribe Jabba one last time, when Han was released from the carbonite.

Han's hasty attempt to get Threepio to tell the Ewoks what supplies they need.

Han's desperate attempt to blow out the fire while he's tied to the pole.

Rocketboy
08-08-2009, 05:12 PM
You forgot Han copping a feel when Leia gets shot at the bunker.

Devo
08-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Captain Needa's line "no ship that small has a cloaking device". A bit random in a film series where no ship, of any size, is ever shown to have a cloaking device.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2009, 08:46 AM
You forgot Han copping a feel when Leia gets shot at the bunker.Ahh, but that one was a SUCCESSFUL attempt! :rolleyes:

Rocketboy
08-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Ahh, but that one was a SUCCESSFUL attempt! :rolleyes:Successful in actually grabbing boobage. Not so successful in trying to be sly about it.

Qui-Long Gone
08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Oola's quick wardrobe malfunction just before her death!

TeeEye7
08-17-2009, 12:06 PM
When in the docking bay, Han refers to Greedo as a human being in the OT-SE.

Qui-Long Gone
08-17-2009, 01:51 PM
When in the docking bay, Han refers to Greedo as a human being in the OT-SE.

Greedo or Jabba?

TeeEye7
08-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Greedo or Jabba?

My bad: I meant Jabba. Good catch, QLG.

Qui-Long Gone
08-17-2009, 03:43 PM
^I do love that line and wish Jabba puppet could have made his way into ANH....but I do enjoy the mystery to the Hutt that is revealed in ROTJ....

I'll take Jaba CGI over Greedo missingshooting first anyday.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-17-2009, 06:17 PM
My bad: I meant Jabba. Good catch, QLG.Well, Lucas only filmed GiantFurCoatGuy to put a creature (Jabba) over him later in post production, I thought. So the "wonderful human being" line could've been sarcastic, not a goof-up.

Darkross
08-17-2009, 07:42 PM
How R2-D2 ever gets in and out of Luke's X-wing in the OT. I mean...we never saw the booster rockets until Episode 2, and as a kid, I always wondered how he got in and out of the X-wing without the suction thing that we see in the Yavin IV hanger loading the R2 units in.

Darkross
08-23-2009, 09:46 PM
I just remembered about all of those "Flipped Frame" sequences in the OT. In ESB...the Imperial Rank insignias are on the left...no...their on the right...no wait...their on the left again! That totally messed me up...

until ROTJ during the speederbike chase sequence, where Luke has his glove on his right hand, then left, then right again! Back in the day when I first noticed it on my trusty VHS copy of ROTJ, I had to watch it over and over to make sure that I saw it right.

Qui-Long Gone
08-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Well, Lucas only filmed GiantFurCoatGuy to put a creature (Jabba) over him later in post production, I thought. So the "wonderful human being" line could've been sarcastic, not a goof-up.

I took it to be sarcastic...either way, it's golden...

Darkross
08-31-2009, 06:56 PM
I love that scene where the Stormtrooper bangs his head on the blast door to the control room on the Death Star. Priceless...just priceless!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I love that scene where the Stormtrooper bangs his head on the blast door to the control room on the Death Star. Priceless...just priceless!
After I first noticed that, I also noticed that one of the troopers says "see to him," and I thought he was referring to the trooper that hit his head, when it was actually one of the dead officers.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I love that scene where the Stormtrooper bangs his head on the blast door to the control room on the Death Star. Priceless...just priceless!Someone I talked to last night mentioned he just heard of that scene. :bonk:

Rocketboy
09-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I just pointed it out to my brother-in-law a week or two ago.

Darkross
09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I like the scene where Vader and Tarkin are talking in the briefing room...and Vader is motioning with his hand...but saying nothing! :D

JEDIpartner
09-17-2009, 01:44 PM
That's a good one!!!

How about when Luke surfaces from the forest floor on Endor and has a TON of eyeliner on?!!! Was that a nod to his appearance in the Holiday Special??!!!

El Chuxter
09-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I kinda like how, in the new ending to ROTJ, the people on Coruscant are chanting, "The Son of the Sun! The Son of the Sun!" It's obviously a reference to the intro to the ANH novel, and obviously something George had written and meant to be taken seriously. Only then he got the idea for Jar Jar, and his attention span was so short he apparently totally forgot this entire concept altogether.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2009, 04:40 PM
I kinda like how, in the new ending to ROTJ, the people on Coruscant are chanting, "The Son of the Sun! The Son of the Sun!" It's obviously a reference to the intro to the ANH novel, and obviously something George had written and meant to be taken seriously. Only then he got the idea for Jar Jar, and his attention span was so short he apparently totally forgot this entire concept altogether.
Prepare to be disillusioned: it's just someone saying "ha shadda ga sha!" or something similar in Huttese. People just shouted out random things for the celebration sounds, which were re-used in TPM. They had an article about this on the official site a while back.

El Chuxter
09-17-2009, 04:46 PM
They can say whatever they want to say, but it's as clear as "Freedom!" and "Weesa free!" Given George Lucas and Lucasfilm's penchants for lying about the original plan rather than simply admit when they've changed course, I have a hard time believing any denial of it.

Nothing wrong at all with changing your mind in mid-stream, but lying does no good. It'd actually be quite interesting to know about all the changes to the backstory over the years, as opposed to being told they never existed when there's evidence to the contrary. If you buy that there's no "Son of the Sun" line, you've got to also believe that Owen was always supposed to be Anakin's stepbrother, and Lucas was totally ignorant of all the repeated references to Owen being Obi-Wan's brother... including the line in the original ROTJ script.

Rocketboy
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I like the scene where Vader and Tarkin are talking in the briefing room...and Vader is motioning with his hand...but saying nothing! :DMust run in the family since Luke says something in the trash compactor and nothing comes out of his mouth.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2009, 12:46 AM
They can say whatever they want to say, but it's as clear as "Freedom!" and "Weesa free!" Given George Lucas and Lucasfilm's penchants for lying about the original plan rather than simply admit when they've changed course, I have a hard time believing any denial of it.

Nothing wrong at all with changing your mind in mid-stream, but lying does no good. It'd actually be quite interesting to know about all the changes to the backstory over the years, as opposed to being told they never existed when there's evidence to the contrary. If you buy that there's no "Son of the Sun" line, you've got to also believe that Owen was always supposed to be Anakin's stepbrother, and Lucas was totally ignorant of all the repeated references to Owen being Obi-Wan's brother... including the line in the original ROTJ script.
Um, okay, but would you believe the original recording (http://www.starwars.com/movies/saga/20090204.html), where you can clearly hear them saying "shadda gasha" over and over?

If you liked Clone Wars, you would have already heard the "son of suns" thing re-appear, though I suspect you wouldn't have been satisfied since it didn't have anything to do with Anakin or Luke.

El Chuxter
09-18-2009, 01:42 AM
It might not be "The Son of the Sun," but that's what it sounds like on my DVD. Whether a Lucasfilm insider or not, I'm a little wary of any info from the guy who botched "GIJoe: The Essential Guide" as badly as Hidalgo did. I'm not saying he's lying, but it seems odd that Lucas or any of his people would pick a random alien saying that sounds just like the more-or-less forgotten title.

And, honestly, we're going to have to agree to disagree on Clone Wars; the only way I'd be satisfied by anything from that show would be for it to be cancelled, and the final episode be George Lucas apologizing and Dave Filoni ripping up pictures of Plo Koon for 30 minutes. Really, I don't want to sound all peachy, and I don't care if you dig it or not, but it ain't for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2009, 04:51 PM
It always sounded like "son of the suns" to me, too, and if you want to believe it, then that's dandy, but in reality, that's just not what they're saying. I don't think that, when recording some random celebratory wild tracks, anyone had the original draft of the ANH script on the brain.

I know you don't like Clone Wars, and I wasn't saying you should. Maybe I should have said, "if you watched it," not "if you liked it." I just mentioned it since you obviously liked the concept of the son of suns, and there was a brief mention of it in the episode Trespass. So, clearly, someone remembered it and wanted to revive it, if even briefly. I just thought it was a cool touch for longer-time fans.

El Chuxter
09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
There are definitely some nice touches to old geeks in Clone Wars, no denying that. I just don't care for the animation or the running roughshod over previous continuities, and still think it borders on absurd blasphemy for Anakin to have a padawan.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2009, 09:50 AM
When Obi-Wan gives that thumb-to-the-temple gesture after Alderaan's explosion throws him for a loop.

Han so calmly pulls the lever to go to hyperspace after escaping Mos Eisley.

The krayat [sp?] dragon call, with Ben's in his discount store "costume" waving his arms... yeah, that'll scare a violent creature. Oh wait, it did.

Han sheepishly admitting to Chewie that Threepio's comment about the Falcon's repair needs in ESB was right.

Han rolling his eyes at Gen. Dodonna's battle plan idea in the Yavin briefing room.

Luke baseball-batting the sail barge goons away with his saber.

Darkross
09-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I love the scene where the training remote shoots Luke in the butt! Haha...makes me laugh everytime.

I also love the scene where R2-D2 shocks the Ewoks in the butt just after they cut him loose...hee hee.:D

JEDIpartner
10-23-2009, 08:41 AM
The part where Chewie gets scared of the dianoga/trash compactor always has me in tears 'cos I'm laughing so hard.

Darkross
10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
The scene in Empire when Chewie has C3P0 on his back...and keeps hitting the Falcon bulkhead with C3P0's head. He hits it so much...that he knocks that "red-glowing" Glade air freshner thingy hanging just above the boarding ramp. Sticks out to me everytime!

El Chuxter
10-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Carrie Fisher in the metal bikini always makes me feel a little goofy.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Carrie Fisher in the metal bikini always makes me feel a little goofy.Uh... where is this in the film? And why am I just finding out about it 25+ years later?!?

RoonStones
10-26-2009, 09:59 PM

Haha, Epic Fail. One of the few things I actually appreciated with Lucas's recent touch-ups of the OT is that the Stormtrooper bumping his head now has a nice metalic "clunk" sound accompanying it.

Also, the horrid reverse frame scenes at the end of Empire even had a scene from earlier in the film where Piett said "Alert all commands, deploy the fleet", was dubbed over with "Alert all commands, ready for the tractor beam", to which we suddenly switch over to the bridge pit crew of the Avenger.

TeeEye7
10-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Luke in his X-Wing during the Battle of Yavin. The cockpit rocks as if he was on a rocking horse.

Darkross
10-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Luke in his X-Wing during the Battle of Yavin. The cockpit rocks as if he was on a rocking horse.

Yeah...it seems to rock alot more with poor Porkins in his! LOL!

Qui-Long Gone
11-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Porkins is the man!

TeeEye7
11-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Porkins is the man!

Rolling thunder!