PDA

View Full Version : I hate this..........

chrisc
06-16-2009, 07:13 AM
THere has always been one thing that gets me angry. That would be how extremely lazy our society has gotten. I hate it when I go to Walmart, heck anystore, and I have to wait 8 to 10 minutes to park because you have an idiot in front of you that is blocking a lane so he/she can get a close spot.

I got into it with someone yesterday because they did this and there was an open spot three spaces down. I just don't understand how you can be that lazy. I told her she could use a good walk from the back of the parking lot. Yea now I understand why other countries laugh at us....

ok sorry about the rant.

Anyone else have something like this that set them off?

Have the BEST day ever!

RooJay
06-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I absolutely fume when I see people not using their turn signals for turning, merging, or changing lanes! It's such a simple thing, and not only is it the law, but it's also common courtesy and just a general good idea to avoid being in or causing accidents. Of course, most folks nowadays seem to have such a hard time using that one little finger to flick on their signals, and yet seem to have no problem whatsoever using that one little finger for something else when you honk at them for not doing it.

Ji'dai
06-16-2009, 09:09 AM
I hate it when I go to Walmart, heck anystore, and I have to wait 8 to 10 minutes to park because you have an idiot in front of you that is blocking a lane so he/she can get a close spot. I dislike it when you encounter some idiot driving the wrong direction in a parking lot, or are trying to pull out and you have some nut coming from the wrong direction. I can understand not seeing faded pavement arrows but the cars all angled in the same direction should be a pretty good tip off which direction you should be driving.

Another thing I hate is when someone pulls through from the other side and steals the spot I'm getting ready to pull into myself.

I've been avoiding parking headaches anyway by just parking way off to the side or at the end and just walking up. Makes leaving the lot easier too. In my area, where the superstores rule the earth, warm weather means that the garden center entrances are open for use so I usually just park down there and avoid the main entrances altogether.

DarthQuack
06-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I always park far away, one, I don't mind the walk, and two, by the time that other person is driving around looking for that amazing spot I'm already in the store.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-16-2009, 09:32 AM
While not in a parking lot, it still involves drivers. I was at a four way stop yesterday, and a truck decided he could go right after the car in front of him, despite the fact that it was my turn. He then politely waved me forward. Thanks, dude, for letting me do what was legally my right anyway.

JetsAndHeels
06-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Everything makes me mad.

That is all.

chrisc
06-16-2009, 09:55 AM
lol... i love giving traffic tickets for stop signs..... everyone here rolls em like its cool

pbarnard
06-16-2009, 09:58 AM
My thing now is timed lights. When the left turn lane gets the green arrow, some one going the opposite direction in the right turn lane pulls out in front of the traffic basically causing all those turning left to either slow down or stop.

JetsAndHeels
06-16-2009, 10:00 AM
The real problem with the public is the people.

Think about it, you know its true. :)

mtriv73
06-16-2009, 11:43 AM
I ususally just take the first spot I see no matter how close/far back it is.

The thing that's been really getting me recently are the 70+ year olds driving 15mph under the speed limit looking at everything except the road.

These same people have absolutely no idea how to merge into traffic (if traffic is doing 65 you can't merge going 20 idiots.)

bigbarada
06-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Unless I just happen to luck onto a close spot, I always prefer to park far away and walk towards the store. Less chances of door dings that way too.

My brother's ex-wife used to drive around the parking lot for 10-15 minutes just waiting for a close spot to open up. That always drove me nuts. Especially when she would pass up a moderately close spot in the hopes that a closer spot would open up.

Other traffic pet peeves are when people don't use turn signals, that's just inconsiderate and dangerous if they have to make a turn off the highway and everyone behind them is going 65 MPH. I also really hate when people jump their turn at a 4 way stop.:mad:

Off the topic of people for a moment, I never really understood why deer seem to be more likely to run directly in front of your vehicle than away from your vehicle. Last year, I saw a deer just standing on the side of the highway in broad daylight. He seemed to just be sightseeing until I got about 50 feet from him, then he decided to just casually trot across the highway directly in front of me. There was no way I could stop in time so I nailed him and sent him flying into the air and crashing down a hill side. I hit him so hard that his antlers snapped off his head and my car stripped a dinner plate sized chunk of flesh off of the right side of his body. Unfortunately, I don't own a rifle and stupid Illinois doesn't allow concealed carry for pistols, so I couldn't put him out of his misery, I just had to leave him and let him die on his own.

It stinks too, because that was probably about 100 pounds of deer meat totally gone to waste when it could have been sitting in my freezer.

bobafrett
06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
At my Wal-Mart store, the employees are supposed to park in areas designated with white parking lines, the rest are yellow. Our store manager brought this up, saying "If it doesn't take you at least 5 minutes to walk from your car to the timeclock, then your parked to close to the store". I parked out in those spots designated for emploees to park, which are a good walk from the store, and so did other emploees, for maybe 2 to 3 weeks, then they slowly moved back up closer to the store, spots where customers should be able to use. I still park way out away from the store, because it's the right thing to do, plus I could use a few extra steps to lighten my weight a little.

chrisc
06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Off the topic of people for a moment, I never really understood why deer seem to be more likely to run directly in front of your vehicle than away from your vehicle. Last year, I saw a deer just standing on the side of the highway in broad daylight. He seemed to just be sightseeing until I got about 50 feet from him, then he decided to just casually trot across the highway directly in front of me. There was no way I could stop in time so I nailed him and sent him flying into the air and crashing down a hill side. I hit him so hard that his antlers snapped off his head and my car stripped a dinner plate sized chunk of flesh off of the right side of his body. Unfortunately, I don't own a rifle and stupid Illinois doesn't allow concealed carry for pistols, so I couldn't put him out of his misery, I just had to leave him and let him die on his own.

It stinks too, because that was probably about 100 pounds of deer meat totally gone to waste when it could have been sitting in my freezer.

I used to wonder the same thing.... I destroyed the front left side of my patrol car when I hit a deer.... I did some research and deer tend to run back the way they came... wierd.. i hate deer unless they are on my plate

Mad Slanted Powers
06-16-2009, 07:41 PM
THere has always been one thing that gets me angry. That would be how extremely lazy our society has gotten. I hate it when I go to Walmart, heck anystore, and I have to wait 8 to 10 minutes to park because you have an idiot in front of you that is blocking a lane so he/she can get a close spot.

I got into it with someone yesterday because they did this and there was an open spot three spaces down. I just don't understand how you can be that lazy. I told her she could use a good walk from the back of the parking lot. Yea now I understand why other countries laugh at us....

ok sorry about the rant.

Anyone else have something like this that set them off?

Have the BEST day ever!That always bothers me too. I don't worry about getting too close. The other thing that bothers me in parking lots are when people are too lazy to return the shopping cart, even when it is just a few parking spots away. I'll go to turn into a spot and there will be a shopping cart blocking the way.

Another thing I hate is when someone pulls through from the other side and steals the spot I'm getting ready to pull into myself.I usually pull through. It makes it easier to leave, as it can be hard to see if someone is coming when backing out.

While not in a parking lot, it still involves drivers. I was at a four way stop yesterday, and a truck decided he could go right after the car in front of him, despite the fact that it was my turn. He then politely waved me forward. Thanks, dude, for letting me do what was legally my right anyway.On my way to work in the morning, there is a three-way stop. I'm making a left, and someone coming down the hill will be going straight. We get there about the same time. I always thought that if you are making a left turn, you yield in that situation. However, it seems that people always want to wave me through first. Perhaps sometimes I don't wait enough, because I'll stop, then get the impression that the other person isn't going, and I start to go about the same time they do.

LusiferSam
06-17-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm not a big fan of pedestrians who don't walk against traffic or groups of cyclists that don't ride single file. Both of these are a safety issues and are against the law.

My current driving pet peeve has to do the right of way. Went I go home in the evening I come to an intersection where I turn left. Frequently (but not always) there are drivers coming from the other way and many of them turn right. I've been under the impression that the driver comes to the intersection first has the right of way. In the past year I've come close to being sideswiped three or four times idiots either not yielding or trying to go well after I've started my turn. :mad:

bigbarada
06-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm not a big fan of pedestrians who don't walk against traffic or groups of cyclists that don't ride single file. Both of these are a safety issues and are against the law.

My current driving pet peeve has to do the right of way. Went I go home in the evening I come to an intersection where I turn left. Frequently (but not always) there are drivers coming from the other way and many of them turn right. I've been under the impression that the driver comes to the intersection first has the right of way. In the past year I've come close to being sideswiped three or four times idiots either not yielding or trying to go well after I've started my turn. :mad:

It should be whoever gets there first has the right of way, but I know that in Germany it's whoever is on your right. Maybe you have a big German population in your area? :cross-eye

Another driving annoyance is people who think that being able to make a right turn at a red light somehow gives them the right of way. Then they cut across the lanes while making their turn, instead of staying in the right hand lane, and almost cause an accident.

One question for anyone in law-enforcement, is it illegal to change lanes while in an intersection?

RooJay
06-17-2009, 06:14 AM
That always bothers me too. I don't worry about getting too close. The other thing that bothers me in parking lots are when people are too lazy to return the shopping cart, even when it is just a few parking spots away. I'll go to turn into a spot and there will be a shopping cart blocking the way.

Oh man! That really chaps my hide too! I just can't get around how folks are so lazy nowadays that they can't even put their carts back! The to just leave it sitting in a parking space that I could be using to park my car! I wonder do these people never end up wanting to park in a spot where someone else has left their cart? I'm guessing most people think, "well, this store pays someone (minimum wage) to deal with this anyway - it's their fault if my cart is in someone else's way for not doing their job." Having spent a good deal of time working in retail management, I feel completely confident in pointing out that generally most stores don't hire folks whose sole job it is to collect carts.
What's worse though, is when someone brings their cart through the checkout lane, and when they're finished paying for their items they just walk off and leave their cart in the way for the person in line behind them to have to deal with. Just as bad when they dump their cart at the exit of the store right next to where they got it from the corral, and yet still not back in it and out of everyone else's way.

Another driving annoyance is people who think that being able to make a right turn at a red light somehow gives them the right of way. Then they cut across the lanes while making their turn, instead of staying in the right hand lane, and almost cause an accident.

That's another peeve of mine. It seems that a lot of drivers out there don't seem to even know that when you make a turn from the right hand lane, that your turn must end in the right hand lane. I live in a city with a lot of double turning lanes, and I always end up getting cut-off, or have to slam on my breaks to keep from hitting the guy that started his turn in the lane next to me, and thinks it's perfectly alright to cross right in front of my path with no kind of warning while I'm in the middle of my turn. In fact, a lot of people where I live tend to use those types of lanes to try and speed pass everyone else at the intersection, changing lanes into the lane they have no need of being in nor intention of staying in, but just so they don't have to wait for anyone else to drive through.
For the record, the way I've always understood it, it is illegal to change lanes in the middle of the intersection.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure if I do that much when I make a right turn, but I often do when making a left turn. I don't do it if it is a double left turn lane, but if it is one lane turning into two, I will. I try and make sure that someone making a right from the other direction isn't turning into that lane, though.

El Chuxter
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I hated non-returned carts, too, until I had a kid. Come out of Target or the grocery store or somewhere with a toddler and your purchases in the cart on a hot day, unload your cart into the car, put the baby in the carseat, and try to figure out where the heck to put the cart if the nearest return is half a block away.

Ji'dai
06-17-2009, 04:06 PM
I usually pull through. It makes it easier to leave, as it can be hard to see if someone is coming when backing out. I do that too, but since I usually park way out in bum **** egypt it doesn't really matter. Too many times in the past I'd pull into a space only to find another nut on the other side driving through to meet me.

The shopping cart thing doesn't really bug me. I'll take my carts back if the corral is close by and it's not pouring down rain or something. Otherwise I'll let them free range ;)

I really dislike shopping carts inside stores. Most of the time I'm just in to check toys or pick up a few things so I never grab a cart; often it's just a hand-basket for me. Some aisles are hard to navigate because they're clogged with people and their carts; it's aggravating. Or I get behind two heifers walking side by side pushing their carts and can't get around to pass.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I hated non-returned carts, too, until I had a kid. Come out of Target or the grocery store or somewhere with a toddler and your purchases in the cart on a hot day, unload your cart into the car, put the baby in the carseat, and try to figure out where the heck to put the cart if the nearest return is half a block away.Well, what you should do is not put the kid in the car yet. Then you can give the kid a shopping cart ride to the cart return, and then carry the kid back. I know I hated it when I got too big to sit in the little seat the carts usually had.

El Chuxter
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Spoken like someone who's never carried a kid around a parking lot, nor been around a kid who insists on riding in a cart instead of being carried.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Spoken like someone who's never carried a kid around a parking lot, nor been around a kid who insists on riding in a cart instead of being carried.I think I just pointed out how I wanted to ride in the cart and was upset when I was too big to. My mom certainly has had to deal with it, and she doesn't like it when there are carts left in the way as well.

bigbarada
06-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Or I get behind two heifers walking side by side pushing their carts and can't get around to pass.

Or two people with carts who have decided to stop and carry on a conversation while blocking the entire aisle.

morpheus282
06-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Spoken like someone who's never carried a kid around a parking lot, nor been around a kid who insists on riding in a cart instead of being carried.

I've got to agree with Mad Slanted Powers on this one. I've had to go to the store with my kid and park 59 feet away from the nearest buggy corral, and pushing cart and kid to the corral is the only way to do it. Otherwise you're risking damaging someone else's car when the buggy that was carelessly left behind gets caught by the wind and rolls into their door. What really burns me up is when someone two slots down from the corral leaves the buggy sitting instead of putting it up.

morpheus282
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Or two people with carts who have decided to stop and carry on a conversation while blocking the entire aisle.

We had two people in scooters blocking the aisle on two separate occasions last week. Since they were both moving in the same direction, I can only assume they were drag racing.

Blue2th
06-17-2009, 09:14 PM
We had two people in scooters blocking the aisle on two separate occasions last week. Since they were both moving in the same direction, I can only assume they were drag racing.
That's my pet peeve.

Lately what bothers me is that I can't go to a Walmart anymore without a major crowd being there at all hours of the day...the economy I'm guessing. You almost have to go after 12:00AM.
That used to work for me when I was the great Star Wars Toys Bounty Hunter.
I would even forget some groceries if I didn't have a list.

bobafrett
06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
One question for anyone in law-enforcement, is it illegal to change lanes while in an intersection?

Not in law enforcement, and this is all I could find on the subject on the online version of the Illinois Rules of the Road ...

Changing Lanes

When moving your vehicle from the right-hand lane to the left-hand lane, turn your head to check traffic behind you and on your left. Give the left turn signal, then carefully move into the left lane.
When moving your vehicle from the left-hand lane to the right-hand lane, turn your head to check traffic behind you and on your right. Give the right turn signal, then carefully move into the right lane. It is against the law to flash turn signals as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to other drivers

But I do remember them telling that you weren't supposed to change lanes within 50 feet of an intersection. (not sure if the distance is correct)

RooJay
06-18-2009, 02:06 AM
I hated non-returned carts, too, until I had a kid. Come out of Target or the grocery store or somewhere with a toddler and your purchases in the cart on a hot day, unload your cart into the car, put the baby in the carseat, and try to figure out where the heck to put the cart if the nearest return is half a block away.

I bet it's equally bothersome to have to carry your kid to the store from half a block away because someone left their cart sitting in the only nearer, open parking space.

I also hate it when someone parks their cart on one side of the aisle, and then stands right next to while browsing the other side, thereby blocking the entire aisle. I don't get why folks can't park their cart in front of them on the same side of the aisle when shopping.

TeeEye7
06-18-2009, 10:05 AM

Yes, at least here in California it is a no-no.

However, knuckleheads do it all the time.

pbarnard
06-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm just hating the fact I've thought that Tuesday was really Wednesday, Wednesday is really Thursday, and now, today, Thursday, is actually Friday. This week has dragged on too long already.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Lately what bothers me is that I can't go to a Walmart anymore without a major crowd being there at all hours of the day...the economy I'm guessing. You almost have to go after 12:00AM.
That used to work for me when I was the great Star Wars Toys Bounty Hunter.
I would even forget some groceries if I didn't have a list.I am afraid to go to WM that late; have seen too many fights, robbery attempts, and poorly-trained security guards trying to stop things. Eegads! :eek:

Easy solution: just never, EVER go anywhere without a list (LISTS... )! ;)

chrisc
06-18-2009, 07:44 PM

Here in S.C. its not allowed. Plus its dangerous as heck and just askin to get in a wreck.

Blue2th
06-18-2009, 08:06 PM
I am afraid to go to WM that late; have seen too many fights, robbery attempts, and poorly-trained security guards trying to stop things. Eegads! :eek:

Easy solution: just never, EVER go anywhere without a list (LISTS... )! ;)

Words of wisdom :yes: Luckily I don't live in LA, or pallet raiding at 1:AM would be a dangerous adventure. :shocked:

A lot of good a list did me today. I forgot to look at the backside of it, and neglected to get the pepper and onion powder doh!
I did go by the toy isle...nothing. :(

RooJay
06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
I also hate the concept of the Wal-Mart exclusive. If it were more reality and less concept it might actually be a good thing instead.

bigbarada
06-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Here in S.C. its not allowed. Plus its dangerous as heck and just askin to get in a wreck.

Well, I only do it when there are no other cars in the intersection and I just really, really want to get in the other lane. :o

:D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I just avoid the whole controversy by never going through intersections...

bobafrett
06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I just learned that they are really going to start cracking down on speeders going through construction zones here in Illinois, starting in July. If you get caught going even 1 mile over the speed limit (usually 45) then you get a $350.00 fine, and a second offense would set you back $1,000.00 plus 3 months suspension of your driving priveleges. I'm kinda glad, because I usually drive between 47-50 mph in construction zones, and I have folks flying on past.

RooJay
06-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Speaking of both speeding where one not ought to and general parking lot nonsense - is it just me, or does it seem that no one ever drives carefully through parking lots anymore? I find it very distressing being in a parking lot, either in my car or on foot, and having maniacs drive through at 30-35 mph. I wonder how many cars have to get wrecked, and how many pedestrians have to be run over before the general populace realizes that this is not a good idea?

Mad Slanted Powers
06-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Speaking of both speeding where one not ought to and general parking lot nonsense - is it just me, or does it seem that no one ever drives carefully through parking lots anymore? I find it very distressing being in a parking lot, either in my car or on foot, and having maniacs drive through at 30-35 mph. I wonder how many cars have to get wrecked, and how many pedestrians have to be run over before the general populace realizes that this is not a good idea?
I totally agree. I usually go pretty slow. You never know when someone is going to start backing out and not be able to see you.

dr_evazan22
06-20-2009, 08:06 AM
I deliver in a residential area of Wilmington with parking on both sides of the street. I can't stand when others block the street so I try not to with my truck, and pull over whenever possible.
What gets me though, what I HATE, is when there is plenty of parking space and someone still blocks the way. Maybe they're just dropping someone off, but it takes them a minute to get out of the car, and then another minute (or more) to finish the conversation.
Equally as frustrating are the people that kinda pull over, but they're about 18" to 24" from the curb and if your lucky you can squeeze by without taking any mirrors off (I haven't taken any mirrors off yet [knocks on wood desk]).

Here in Delaware they've had an ad campaign about work zones. It says that Phil was killed in a work zone on Fathers Day.
Maybe I'll sound like an A hole, but I guess that's OK. I have a couple of questions about that ad... We're to assume that Phil was a construction worker, but how often do you see road work being done on SUN?! And why would a construction co. make their predominantly male crew work on a day reserved for them? And how was he killed? Did he go on the other side of the concrete barrier?
Most of the time you don't really need to slow down when those barriers are up, unless there is a loss of lanes.

bigbarada
06-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't think I've ever seen road work being done anytime between 3PM on Friday through Monday morning. Maybe Phil was a construction worker who just happened to get in a wreck in a work zone on his day off? :confused:

I guess a campaign like that would be effective, but I think the Illinois signs that say "Hit a worker: $10,000 fine, 14 years in jail" are more effective. At least for me anyway. :eek:

Another thing that really annoys me is people who don't take advantage of turn lanes and will slow everyone behind them down to 10 MPH while they make a left hand turn across two lanes of traffic.:mad:

dr_evazan22
06-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Ya know, I think the thing I hate more than other peoples stupid actions (on the road) is that I have to worry about my own possessions (or my job, or insurance) instead of being able to show them their bad decisions / thoughtlessness.
Was that Cathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes?

NerfTW
06-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Did he go on the other side of the concrete barrier?

I've never seen concrete barriers used outside of highways or high speed areas. Most of the time it's traffic cones, and I've seen people actually drive over them to use the work area as a passing lane.

bobafrett
06-21-2009, 08:11 AM

I've actually seen two accidents in the Wal-Mart parking lot, where people have been driving rather fast, and disracted, because they run into parked cars. I had my own car hit in a parking lot of an apartment complex that I had just moved my first box into, come back down, and a car next to mine had been knocked into my own car, and the person took off, luckily an alert maintenence crew member got a description of the car thet his mine. It belonged to an uninsured motorist, who filed for bancruptcy after, and I was out the $500.00 deductable I had to pay to get it fixed.

NerfTW
06-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I actually walk up to them (if they're parking and going to the store) and tell them that what they just did was dangerous, and they nearly hit me.

I had one old man get back in his car and drive off terrified, and I wasn't even being rude or yelling that time.

I had another guy back his car into me because he REALLY wanted the one space someone was backing out of, instead of just driving to one of the six spaces in the next row. He insisted I could back up, despite the cart guy behind me pulling a line of carts.

RooJay
06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
I've never seen concrete barriers used outside of highways or high speed areas. Most of the time it's traffic cones, and I've seen people actually drive over them to use the work area as a passing lane.

Road crews in Cali almost never seem to use concrete barriers. Usually, it's just traffic cones, and most folks seem to have no problem at all pulling 65, 70, 80 miles an hour right alongside them.