PDA

View Full Version : New diorama packaging and more "green" materials

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Today I got Anakin's Jedi Starfighter in the new red and white look (which actually works really well, at least for vehicles). As I'm sure most of you know, starting with this wave of ships, the packaging includes a diorama, much like the Indiana Jones vehicles (which I don't have, but I'm pretty sure it's the same idea). Anakin's ship has a scene based on the battle at the start of Downfall of a Droid, with AT-TEs perched on asteroids and V-19s and Separatist cruisers in the background. It's pretty big and I think it adds quite a bit to the value of these ships.

Another thing new to this wave is the packing materials used. Gone are all plastic fasteners, save for one small clear rubber band; instead, they use paper, rolled up and tied around the ship to secure it where the fasteners would be. I think this is pretty fantastic - it works better than you'd expect, and it's completely recyclable, for which I applaud Hasbro.

Ando
06-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I am really looking forward to getting this repaint.

What other new stuff did you see when you found Anakin's Star fighter?

The Turbo Tank was packed pretty "lightly" as well, relatively speaking.

No diorama, though.

DarkJedi5
06-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Saw a few vehicles in the new packaging today including the droid starfighter, Anakin and Obi's Jedi Starfighters and the V-19. I also just noticed that the front of the boxes all had a bit of a 3D thing going on where they diecut the ship and put it over the background to make it stand out a little more. I thought it looked really cool.

El Chuxter
06-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Paper to pack up the ship? You've got to be kidding me! I want the joy of taking an hour to unravel a few dozen pointless plastic ties! :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I am really looking forward to getting this repaint.

What other new stuff did you see when you found Anakin's Star fighter?

The Turbo Tank was packed pretty "lightly" as well, relatively speaking.

No diorama, though.

It was a Target and they had a few of Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter and one each of the V-19 and Vulture Droid, all in the red package. They also had some of the Saga Legends on the new card (so did a nearby Walmart). The card is definitely a little bit smaller, which might also be a product of a more "green" line of thinking (or maybe not, but that's the ultimate effect). I actually like the look more than I thought it would; it's very similar to the TAC cards, and the white background isn't too horrible. They also had some of those cheap lightsabers with the new line look, but those have been around for a while now.

Saw a few vehicles in the new packaging today including the droid starfighter, Anakin and Obi's Jedi Starfighters and the V-19. I also just noticed that the front of the boxes all had a bit of a 3D thing going on where they diecut the ship and put it over the background to make it stand out a little more. I thought it looked really cool.
Yep, that's due to the removable insert, and it does indeed look really cool.

Paper to pack up the ship? You've got to be kidding me! I want the joy of taking an hour to unravel a few dozen pointless plastic ties! :mad:
Fear not, since you still get to untie the little papers. I guess you could just cut them if you wanted, but it definitely takes less time than the old way.

figrin bran
06-24-2009, 10:18 PM
No more plastic ties???? Yipeeyiyayminisirloinburgers!!!!!!!!!

Ji'dai
06-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Plastic ties? You mean the insulated wire or the rubber bands?

I have a gallon zip lock full of assorted lengths of wire I scavenged from toy packaging. I keep them in a drawer in my workbench, oh my, yes.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Plastic ties? You mean the insulated wire or the rubber bands?

I have a gallon zip lock full of assorted lengths of wire I scavenged from toy packaging. I keep them in a drawer in my workbench, oh my, yes.
There was one little clear rubber band but no insulated wires or the things that hold them in place.

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 12:11 AM
They also had some of the Saga Legends on the new card (so did a nearby Walmart). The card is definitely a little bit smaller, which might also be a product of a more "green" line of thinking (or maybe not, but that's the ultimate effect). I actually like the look more than I thought it would; it's very similar to the TAC cards, and the white background isn't too horrible.Actually, I think because of the dimensions pre-die-cutting, it's actually as much material as the '08 cards, so it tosses a little more paper into the factory trash than those trooper cards.